Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UK pollsters should follow the firm that created the indust

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048

You'd never get rid of private polling and focus groups but on the whole I agree. The polls have moved on from reporting public feeling to shaping it and as we have seen the polling companies are not entirely to be trusted - they work to their own, hidden, agendas. Other countries have banned the publication of polls near an election, perhaps the UK should do the same.

You can replace the word 'polling' with news in that, and it makes perfect sense still.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Scotland could not have developed a successful trading economy much in the way that the Netherlands or Denmark did.

Without being in the Empire, Scotland would still have gotten rich but have actually, you know, kept the money,

Oh FFS, you do know the Union came about as a result of Scotland completely fcking up mercantile trade?

Please go back to telling us how "Scotland can't flood"...
    Your arse again numpty. It was a handful of rich people who had done bad deals that sold the country for gold, the people had nothing to do with it. You posting from Surrey.
    So if |Scotland's debts were not repaid, where would the capital have come from for Scotland's trade?
    You do realise you need capital to trade?
    No-one in Scotland had any capital after Darien...
    Or would you have borrowed it from the only source? England?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,252

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

As ever only a few benefited , the majority were just used. Unionist scoundrels.

That was the era. Was Scotland not going to exploit Central America if the Darien venture had succeeded? Come now.
    Darien was not a colony, it was a trade route, and it was both eminently sensible but such a good idea that it is the backbone of world trade even today.

There is a reasonable argument that, had the aristocracy (corrupted from the clan system to feudalism by English/French influence) had been left bankrupt and thrown aside, the burgeoning educated classes of Scotland would have been in natural position to start running things after Darien had the English not come along.

Without the Union, Darien could have had long term beneficial effects on Scotland as a whole by completely removing the aristocracy.

Ahh so it was all someone else's fault.

How typically Scottish.

( I am an exiled Scot. It appears to me all the Scots with getupandgo have gone leaving behind a bunch of whingers. If Malcolm and you changed your posting style, I might be convinced I amwrong but I am not holding my breath)
    Away you halfwit I bet I have got up and gone many more times than you. Snivelling from down south about how poor Scotland is trying to convince yourself you are something special is pathetic. How typically Toom Tabard.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Scott_P said:

@iainjwatson: Beckett: 'the tories were able to massively outspend us'

But, but, ground game...

1. Aw, diddums. Sell a product people want - and they will buy it. Ed Miliband = second-hand Trabant

2. But don't worry, because Labour's finances are going to seem so much rosier under Corbyn.

If you wear the special spectacles.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Patrick said:

We reached Peak Muslim this morning.

I think we reached Peak Dair this afternoon.

There is a Dair management scheme in place that prevents excess Dair from collecting in dangerous quantities and overwhelming local areas.

Unfortunately peak Dair exceeded the design specifications, and we were indeed flooded...
  • Options
    watford30 said:

SeanT said:

Dair said:

The rewriting of Scottish and British Empire history is an absolute hoot - more please!

There's no reinvention needed, clearly both Scotland and rUk benefited in some ways from the Empire.

But the rub for rUK is that there was nothing stopping Scotland from developing WITHOUT the Empire, yet there is absolutely no possible way that the Empire could have developed without the education civil servant class it could only find in Scotland's unique system of Universal Public Education.
    This is surely the worst case of inferiority complex - in this case, vis a vis the English - ever seen on PB. A kind of psychological elephantiasis.

I suggest we start a Fund for the Preservation of Dair's Cerebellum, such that, should he ever die from the burden of carrying the World's Largest Sporran, his tartan-coloured brain can be preserved for the benefit of future brilliant Scottish neurologists and their frankly useless English equivalents.
    Should his brain be preserved in Bucky or the Scottish equivalent of pure water, Irn Bru?
    Brain of Britain on the scene , adding his usual half wit opinion
  • Options
    watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Scotland could not have developed a successful trading economy much in the way that the Netherlands or Denmark did.

Without being in the Empire, Scotland would still have gotten rich but have actually, you know, kept the money,

Oh FFS, you do know the Union came about as a result of Scotland completely fcking up mercantile trade?

Please go back to telling us how "Scotland can't flood"...
    Your arse again numpty. It was a handful of rich people who had done bad deals that sold the country for gold, the people had nothing to do with it. You posting from Surrey.
    Execept everyone in Scotland had piled in, a whole country of foolish investors flinging every last groat at the 'sure fire' investment that was going to make them all rich.
    Stop showing yourself up
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

We reached Peak Muslim this morning.

I think we reached Peak Dair this afternoon.

There is a Dair management scheme in place that prevents excess Dair from collecting in dangerous quantities and overwhelming local areas.

Unfortunately peak Dair exceeded the design specifications, and we were indeed flooded...
    Malcolmg has flooded his trousers.
  • Options
    This is in their mea culpa thing

"Our own marginal polling was restricted to our target seats, and so gave no additional information about Scotland, or the Liberal Democrats."

wait ... what?
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

As ever only a few benefited , the majority were just used. Unionist scoundrels.

That was the era. Was Scotland not going to exploit Central America if the Darien venture had succeeded? Come now.
    Darien was not a colony, it was a trade route, and it was both eminently sensible but such a good idea that it is the backbone of world trade even today.

There is a reasonable argument that, had the aristocracy (corrupted from the clan system to feudalism by English/French influence) had been left bankrupt and thrown aside, the burgeoning educated classes of Scotland would have been in natural position to start running things after Darien had the English not come along.

Without the Union, Darien could have had long term beneficial effects on Scotland as a whole by completely removing the aristocracy.
    Oh! Here we go again, Dair singing from the Yesnp hymnal.

So let's go again, the Darien Scheme was a good idea but for several problems,

1: the trade goods taken the isthmus was fine for trading round Europe at the time of a mini ice age, but totally useless for an equatorial climate.

2:the financial bubble caused by virtually literally every one in Scotland believing that not only was it a patriotic duty to support the scheme, but by buying shares and portions of shares, they were guaranteed a good profit.

3: the fact that the Scottish Government had forgotten to notify the European authority of the area, Spain, of the plans, possibly intentionally as they knew that the Spanish would be unhappy with the idea.

4: the trading company did not return to the isthmus until 2 years had passed, and found nothing.

What Dair forgot is it was the Bubble that broke Scotland and bankrupted every one. Where did the money go though, that is a good question? Well, a modern analogy could be that it went down south, much like Salmond with his many pensions, his wages from both Westminster and Holyrood, the money from his writing, TV and radio appearances and what ever else he can get after he failed to persuade Scotland to be Independent.

The loons are loose now
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    ? I buy Tesco own brand. Think they're 50p a tin.

You're a strange fellow. Your early pension income from NHS is treble or more mine.

Matt Wells
    Only on the Guardian could you read a review of tinned tomatoes where the No 1 recommendation costs £4.95 https://t.co/ICqztryucH

Cant imagine your a Morrisons value at 30p per tin person
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It appears to me all the Scots with getupandgo have gone leaving behind a bunch of whingers.

There does seem to be a high level of correlation between ex-pat Scots who are proud of their heritage and making their way in the World, and incessant whingers who seem stuck, in every sense
    LOL, from lonely in Surrey , I really am a big shot exile Mum honest
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am not surprised by that chart. However,in Feb 1988 the Tory lead did drop sharply before widening a bit in March. By June 1988 - 12 months after the 1987 election - the Tories had a 12 to 15 point lead again. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 3 to 4 months.
  • Options
    Jim Waterson
    Labour's official report on why it lost basically says 'we appeal to London'. https://t.co/YqtRvb1nop
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Atul Hatwal
    Beckett report is embarrassing. Like an IAAF, FIFA or UCI response to malpractice warnings. No full acknowledgement of scale of problem
  • Options

Jim Waterson
    Labour's official report on why it lost basically says 'we appeal to London'. https://t.co/YqtRvb1nop

It's out of date. Should now read "we appeal to Islington"
  • Options
    @DavidMills73: "We had a strong and positive offer for Falklanders to enjoy considerable autonomy under Argentine rule" #Beckett2020
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,046
    Miss Plato, that's like Demetrius Poliorcetes writing a review of the Battle of Ipsus and concluding he won the battle on the right wing.

Aye, but your dad got killed, your army annihilated and you lost a bloody empire. Apart from that, it was cracking.

Anyway, I must be off. Which is a shame, as I've just written a really good little scene. But food won't cook itself (not until I'm obnoxiously successful and have a variety of staff, that is).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

You're a strange fellow. Your early pension income from NHS is treble or more mine.

Matt Wells
    Only on the Guardian could you read a review of tinned tomatoes where the No 1 recommendation costs £4.95 https://t.co/ICqztryucH

Odd not knowing the price of a tin of tomatoes

They are 39p unless you buy the ones with added Basil.

Which I imagine is entirely possible

You are probably wrong about the triple too
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited January 2016
    malcolmg said:

What planet are you on , do you even know where Scotland is never mind anything about what is happening there.

Afternoon, Mr G.. I do know where Scotland is and I don't really know what is happening there. Aside from a couple of military bases what goes on in Scotland is as relevant to me and my family as what goes on in, if not Kazakhstan then certainly, Belgium and I care about it about as much.

Where I do get a bit miffed is when people start to re-write history without any basis in actual fact. That is just me though.

P.S. Since Christmas my local off-licence has jacked up the price of Famous Grouse, now £14 a bottle. The same price as High Commissioner .How that works I have no idea.
  • Options
    I seriously doubt that and your assumption I shop at the top end of Waitrose is entirely wrong.

You really shouldn't make sneery comments about others.

Matt Wells

• Options
    Neither are for sale, but I'd rather have Spacex than Labour stocks...
  • Options

I seriously doubt that and your assumption I shop at the top end of Waitrose is entirely wrong.

Matt Wells

Your comment about my pension not sneery or inaccurate?

Me pointing out Tesco own brand Tomatoes are only 50p if you buy the ones with added Basil is sneery.

OK

Who said anything about Waitrose BTW?
  • Options

Matt Wells

Miss P, You might want to look again at Waitrose. Herself tells me that basic stuff there are not much different in price from Tescos and it has a spiffing pick your own offers scheme with 20% off an item. If I am going to Burgess Hill she is able to print me off a sheet from the Waitrose website of the things that I am to buy, each with a little picture of what it looks like, the size and the discount. It is brilliant, not only do we get stonking good deals but, as long as I buy what is in the picture, I can't get shouted at when I get home. I see quote a few men of a certain age wandering isles with similar print outs to my own.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Whilst visiting Order Order, some helpful poster pointed out that Oxfam are hiring unpaid labour.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer-with-us/internships-and-office-roles

Is this a form of exploitation?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,270

Matt Wells

In the mid 90's there was a supermarket price war over beans. As they tried to beat each other, one shop was even selling an own-brand can for a penny.

Myself and a few mates decided to do a taste test with, from memory, everything from top-of-the-range beans to the cheap stuff. In the latter case the beans were hard, the sauce like water and gritty. They were truly the sweepings off the factory floor.

You could really taste the price difference.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. At others you are ripped off. ;)
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Interview for broadcasters with MArgaret Beckett on Labour defeat coming up shortly - says election perhaps "not winnable" for labour
  • Options
    I avoid Waitrose TSE spends most of his free time in there!!
  • Options

I avoid Waitrose TSE spends most of his free time in there!!

Waitrose is great for the luxury items which you cannot get elsewhere. We use the Co-op or Morrisons for most of our shopping, with the odd monthly shop in Waitrose.

I've yet to be thrown out of a Waitrose, but I try. ;)
  • Options
    Tinned tomatoes ?

Morrisons Savers, 31p a can.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689

Matt Wells

I don't think it's odd at all. Some people don't have a head for that sort of thing. I couldn't tell you the price of one thing on my shopping list.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,971
    Completely OT. just when you think it's a really competitive year for the Oscars along comes Inarratu with 'Revenant' to blow the rest out of the water. Almost certainly 'best film' 'best director' and 'best cinematography' and very possibly 'best actor' too. Such a conventional story but so well done....

...sorry back to your tinned tomatoes
  • Options

Jim Waterson

Even then... Mayor Boris for two terms, anyone?
  • Options

Matt Wells

In the mid 90's there was a supermarket price war over beans. As they tried to beat each other, one shop was even selling an own-brand can for a penny.

Myself and a few mates decided to do a taste test with, from memory, everything from top-of-the-range beans to the cheap stuff. In the latter case the beans were hard, the sauce like water and gritty. They were truly the sweepings off the factory floor.

You could really taste the price difference.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. At others you are ripped off. ;)
    I remember the Netto 1p beans well.

Soon went up to 3p then 9P though.

Hyper Inflation!!
  • Options
    Tesco value tomatoes make a sound base for a tomato sauce.
  • Options
    Joe MurphyVerified account
    @JoeMurphyLondon
    Motion to remove Jeremy's Corbyn's PPS Steve Rotherham from Labour's NEC passed by 158 votes to five, I am told.
  • Options
    Why the polls failed - YouGov's Stephan Shakespeare on sampling errors and the future of market research https://t.co/EROeyG13e9 #polling
  • Options
    I am Martin Lewis in my spare time.

Did you know Nprpak butter is Lurpak according to the man who delivers both on his lorry
  • Options

Matt Wells

Miss P, You might want to look again at Waitrose. Herself tells me that basic stuff there are not much different in price from Tescos and it has a spiffing pick your own offers scheme with 20% off an item. If I am going to Burgess Hill she is able to print me off a sheet from the Waitrose website of the things that I am to buy, each with a little picture of what it looks like, the size and the discount. It is brilliant, not only do we get stonking good deals but, as long as I buy what is in the picture, I can't get shouted at when I get home. I see quote a few men of a certain age wandering isles with similar print outs to my own.
    I saw a very odd occurrence in the St Neots Waitrose last year. A gentleman of a certain age, complete with flat cap, had a massive and prolonged argument with the teller over a reduced item (it was not reduced, but he thought it was). He continued the argument despite the teller, and then the manager, offering him the discount anyway.

He ended up tipping his bags over the counter, smashing a jar on the bagging area, and storming out without his shopping. All over what was, from memory, only a few pence.

It was quite amazing to observe. The staff quietly and efficiently opened another till and moved those of us waiting over whilst they cleaned up.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited January 2016
    Dair and MG The modern day Krankies...but not as funny....and the Krankies were never funny...just weird..
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn

Not much kinder, gentler politics in Shadow Cabinet this morning after the now notorious #Marr interview, I hear.
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Not much kinder, gentler politics in Shadow Cabinet this morning after the now notorious #Marr interview, I hear.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Could "How much is a tin of tomatoes?" be the new "pint of milk" to trip up politicians?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689

I am Martin Lewis in my spare time.

Did you know Nprpak butter is Lurpak according to the man who delivers both on his lorry

I only get Sainsbury's Taste the Difference (the one made from whey, not the Jersey one, which I've tried, but was rancid for some reason - sure it's nice normally). It's a revelation, spreads straight from the fridge, tastes ridiculously good. I eat as much of it as I possibly can.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Roger said:

Completely OT. just when you think it's a really competitive year for the Oscars along comes Inarratu with 'Revenant' to blow the rest out of the water. Almost certainly 'best film' 'best director' and 'best cinematography' and very possibly 'best actor' too. Such a conventional story but so well done....

Do you think Leo will finally get his Oscar?

As for tomatoes, I get San Marzano DOP tins from Amazon. Works out to about 80p per can.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Could "How much is a tin of tomatoes?" be the new "pint of milk" to trip up politicians?
    Isn't that seven times eight ?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    dr_spyn said:

They do and they are only 34p per tin they are not quite as good as EastEnd chopped Tomatoes currently on offer in Teasco till tomorrow at 3 for £1 IMO
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Matt Wells

The 20% off is incredibly time consuming to set up and applies to smaller packs e.g. cherry tomatoes and only particular types. It's usually cheaper to buy the larger packs.I'd much rather have a few percent off everything or more special offers.
    The cheap coffee is a good perk (excuse pun) and the 'free' newspaper if you spend over £5.
  • Options
    One for Robert, I heartily agree with 7, 13*, 40, and 47 the most

65 Rules For Being A Man According To Elevator Gossip at Goldman Sachs.

http://www.knowable.com/a/65-rules-for-being-a-man-according-to-elevator-gossip-at-goldman-sachs

*Not speaking from personal experience, but of the experience of a friend, who went all Pretty Woman.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

What planet are you on , do you even know where Scotland is never mind anything about what is happening there.

Afternoon, Mr G.. I do know where Scotland is and I don't really know what is happening there. Aside from a couple of military bases what goes on in Scotland is as relevant to me and my family as what goes on in, if not Kazakhstan then certainly, Belgium and I care about it about as much.

Where I do get a bit miffed is when people start to re-write history without any basis in actual fact. That is just me though.

P.S. Since Christmas my local off-licence has jacked up the price of Famous Grouse, now £14 a bottle. The same price as High Commissioner .How that works I have no idea.
    Hello Hurst, still a bully bargain at £14 on the Grouse. I try not to pontificate on here about England other than to state Westminster government is pants . I am constantly amazed at the amount of southern Scottish experts and halfwitted exiled "supposed" Scots experts on here , who patently are talking through their rear end.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

I'm watching it now. It's rather beautiful, and rather dull. Classic middlebrow cinema, that would appeal to middlebrow cinema-goers aspiring to appear arty.

It reminds me of literary fiction. Lovely sentence after lovely sentence, but no plot, no pace, so no emotional punch.

The best film of the year, by a distance, was Inside Out: hugely clever, funny, moving, strange, unexpected, inspiring, ambitious, all at once, and ravishingly pretty AS WELL. But it didn't even get nominated, because middlebrow old farts don't see cartoons as "art".

Inside Out is the only movie I've been to where the entire audience was crying at the end. Literally everyone (apart from my flinty 9 year old daughter). Pure genius.

The Revenant does have one WoAH!!! moment. But the pretty scenery leads the director to linger on it too long. It will get lots of awards - but only because nothing better got nominated. It would be a far more worthy winner if it ran half an hour shorter. And even then...people will still come out going "what was that stuff about his wife all about...?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

I'm watching it now. It's rather beautiful, and rather dull. Classic middlebrow cinema, that would appeal to middlebrow cinema-goers aspiring to appear arty.

It reminds me of literary fiction. Lovely sentence after lovely sentence, but no plot, no pace, so no emotional punch.

The best film of the year, by a distance, was Inside Out: hugely clever, funny, moving, strange, unexpected, inspiring, ambitious, all at once, and ravishingly pretty AS WELL. But it didn't even get nominated, because middlebrow old farts don't see cartoons as "art".

Inside Out is the only movie I've been to where the entire audience was crying at the end. Literally everyone (apart from my flinty 9 year old daughter). Pure genius.

Revenant is good, but not a great. Should have been about 30 mins shorter.

If Leo Di Caprio gets an Oscar for that and not The Wolf of Wall Street, then there's no justice in the world.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

They do and they are only 34p per tin they are not quite as good as EastEnd chopped Tomatoes currently on offer in Teasco till tomorrow at 3 for £1 IMO
    Far too watery and tasteless, you want real tomatoes that have seen the sun in their lifetime.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

SeanT said:

Roger said:

The Revenant does have one WoAH!!! moment. But the pretty scenery leads the director to linger on it too long. It will get lots of awards - but only because nothing better got nominated. It would be a far more worthy winner if it ran half an hour shorter. And even then...people will still come out going "what was that stuff about his wife all about...?
    EDIT: Oh, and Inside Out was criminally overlooked. People getting all het up about no coloured nominees. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE VERY COLOURFUL 'TOONS???
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

If Leo Di Caprio gets an Oscar for that and not The Wolf of Wall Street, then there's no justice in the world.
    I loved Revenant but agree its too long

Room on the other hand is fantastic and in my top 10 of all time
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Room is on my list for Friday
  • Options

Matt Wells

I saw a very odd occurrence in the St Neots Waitrose last year. A gentleman of a certain age, complete with flat cap, had a massive and prolonged argument with the teller over a reduced item (it was not reduced, but he thought it was). He continued the argument despite the teller, and then the manager, offering him the discount anyway.

He ended up tipping his bags over the counter, smashing a jar on the bagging area, and storming out without his shopping. All over what was, from memory, only a few pence.

It was quite amazing to observe. The staff quietly and efficiently opened another till and moved those of us waiting over whilst they cleaned up.
    Was malcolmg visiting the area?
  • Options

Matt Wells

As you well know, Mr. Jessop, some people are complete arseholes and some people have medication that doesn't always kick in a quickly as it should. Neither have anything to do with Waitrose, which I find an excellent shop and, despite its reputation, not overly expensive. I can buy a roast chicken there for Thomas for just over a fiver and he likes their salmon flakes which are on 20% discount.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

Far too watery and tasteless, you want real tomatoes that have seen the sun in their lifetime.
    East End are from sunny Italy not Glasgow Green you know
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

The Wifi has watched Room (I haven't yet).

She was blown away by it. Best film of the year BY MILES, she reckons. And criminal the kid didn't get a nod, apparently.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Jeremy Corbyn has an approval rating of -39%.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,631
    edited January 2016

SeanT said:

Roger said:

And not "The Room" by Tommy Wiseau?

:lol:
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

She was blown away by it. Best film of the year BY MILES, she reckons. And criminal the kid didn't get a nod, apparently.
    I watched Brooklyn yesterday, really enjoyed that.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Its Brilliant

I do not have the same hopes of this weeks Unlimited screening Dirty Grandpa

Although Mrs BJ didnt help by telling me I might learn something.

What the hell doed that mean!!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/689490540589666305

Beckett's report begins to look redundant.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And that's amongst the people that like him...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

If Room the movie is great it'll be a very rare example of an excellent novel becoming an excellent film. This seldom happens. The Godfather is an exception. Also the Exorcist. Usually great books make crap movies.
    The Godfather film was unique in my experience because it was actually better than the book.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

I agree IMO top film should definitely come its way.

There was a stunned silence by everbody leaving Room.

Absolutely amazing film
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    If Corbyn remains Labour leader, it is (X) that they will win the next election:
    Likely: 14%
    Unlikely: 69%

With a bit of re-weighting I'm sure the pollsters can nudge 'likely' over 50%
  • Options

As you well know, Mr. Jessop, some people are complete arseholes and some people have medication that doesn't always kick in a quickly as it should. Neither have anything to do with Waitrose, which I find an excellent shop and, despite its reputation, not overly expensive. I can buy a roast chicken there for Thomas for just over a fiver and he likes their salmon flakes which are on 20% discount.
    Indeed.

I was wondering if he was having some form of breakdown. He turned to us and said: "This place has gone downhill since they haven't had a manager."

Then a woman walks up, smiles, and says: "Hello, I'm ....., the manager."

He looked at her with not a little contempt and said: "You're not the manager."

I might have felt some sympathy with him if he hadn't been so vile to the young and polite man who was working the checkout.
  • Options
    Ouchies - @YouGov finds Corbyn's rating slide by 7 points since last month to minus 39% Cameron's unchanged at -6%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/mm8d71xdb9/InternalResults_160115_Corbyn_W.pdf
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Matt Wells

I need never stoop to looking at prices or reduced items and as a cultured gentlemen would never abuse a working person just for doing their job. You appear to be conflating things with oicks like yourself and behaviour you see at your BNP meetings.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Scott_P said:

The Corbyn experiment won't last past June.
  • Options

Ouchies - @YouGov finds Corbyn's rating slide by 7 points since last month to minus 39% Cameron's unchanged at -6%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/mm8d71xdb9/InternalResults_160115_Corbyn_W.pdf

Yet more Counter-Revolutionary Propaganda! :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    :D:D

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

Stopped at "Ed Miliband faced an exceptionally vitriolic and personal attack. Even before he courageously took on the public concerns...".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,594

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Beasts of No Nation easily the best film of 2015.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,570
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

It was great. Sadness in particular is one of the great characters of modern fiction. My favourite film of the last 12 months.

But Dicaprio has done his time for Titanic and deserves an Oscar. Personally, I would have given him one for this scene alone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXLV_DMKa0

Genius.
  • Options
    Am I the only one here who's only watched Star Wars at the Cinema within the last four years or so? (previously, The Iron Lady in Jan 2012).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

:D:D

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

Stopped at "Ed Miliband faced an exceptionally vitriolic and personal attack. Even before he courageously took on the public concerns...".

Shades of Abby Tomlinson!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/11/milifan-prime-minister-ed-miliband
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

Assuming you are not typing from a cinema, are you getting the full value experience? More important, are you funding terrorists and other ne'er do wells by watching a pirate version of the film?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Matt Wells

I need never stoop to looking at prices or reduced items and as a cultured gentlemen would never abuse a working person just for doing their job. You appear to be conflating things with oicks like yourself and behaviour you see at your BNP meetings.
    Hush malcolm. We can all picture the image of a pasty faced, wizened figure, arguing over the price of the free coffee whilst reluctantly opening an ancient tartan purse to pay for a few heavily discounted items. Before you place them in an old string shopping bag.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,612
    runnymede said:

If Corbyn remains Labour leader, it is (X) that they will win the next election:

Public say 14%, whereas the implied odds on Betfair of Labour win are roughly 25% (if I've done my sums correctly). Obviously betting folk think there is some chance of Corbyn going.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Assuming you are not typing from a cinema, are you getting the full value experience? More important, are you funding terrorists and other ne'er do wells by watching a pirate version of the film?

I've written entire PB threads from inside a cinema.

My biggest bugbear about modern cinema is the pre film adverts. They go on forever, in the past they used to be on for 10-20 mins or so. Some days it is 30 mins plus
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,612
    If Labour think the media tried to "destroy" Miliband, what on earth do they think will happen with Corbyn in charge?
  • Options

runnymede said:

Public say 14%, whereas the implied odds on Betfair of Labour win are roughly 25% (if I've done my sums correctly). Obviously betting folk think there is some chance of Corbyn going.
    http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/labour-leader-at-next-general-election
  • Options

If Labour think the media tried to "destroy" Miliband, what on earth do they think will happen with Corbyn in charge?

Labour will destroy itself without any help from the media. How long can this farce last? It is hard to work out why Labour are so willing to concede the next election, unless they hope that Cameron's government implodes and a rainbow coalition can take over.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Matt Wells

I need never stoop to looking at prices or reduced items .
    With all the SNP's Middle Class perks why would you need to?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

I've written entire PB threads from inside a cinema.

My biggest bugbear about modern cinema is the pre film adverts. They go on forever, in the past they used to be on for 10-20 mins or so. Some days it is 30 mins plus
    I watched FIVE trailers plus ads at Leicester Square on New Year's Day!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Campaign launched.
  • Options

I think that is really the point. Is there one factor not identified in this report that does not look like it will be worse the next time? The only one that occurred to me is that Labour will not be facing Cameron.

Which is good news for them of course. And something to make Tories pay attention and not take things for granted.

But leadership, economic credibility, trust with the nation's security, boundaries, immigration, the scale of gains needed, current polling, all much, much worse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Campaign launched.
    JICIPM!
  • Options
    There is something darkly comedic about Ma Beckett and her "What went wrong in 2015" report, when you know that whoever does the report on "What went wrong in 2020" will begin its first paragraph with "It all started when that *&3*7!$ %*% Ma Beckett supported the leadership nomination of Jeremy Corbyn....."
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    This is the Cyclefree Guide to the Nine Stages of a Crisis - which could, with some small adjustments, be applied to Labour and its attempt at an analysis of why it is in a mess.

1. people turn a blind eye
    2. people can't believe it
    3. people refuse to believe it
    4. people accept that something has gone wrong but insist that it is limited to one or two "bad apples". (In Labour's case, this is replaced by "we did not have an over-arching narrative but everyone really loved our policies.")
    5. when it becomes clear that not "one or two" (or that the "narrative" excuse does not work) stages 1, 2 and 3 are repeated
    6. people become more concerned with the reputation of / protecting the institution than dealing with what is wrong
    7. a limited inquiry is instituted in the hope that this will sort matters out. It won't.
    8. when it becomes public people become defensive and concentrate on the PR aspects. (A particular favourite of Labour this one: it's all the media's fault.)
    9. eventually ….. eventually when the stench and/or the outside pressure become too much to bear a much more extensive investigation is instituted and remedial measures are put in place. Almost inevitably this is done far too late. And the institution will have to deal with the continuing fall-out from the previous failures for some time long after it has put its house in order. (Several defeats are usually necessary for political parties to get the voters' message.)

The lesson to be learned (and there are many, of course) is that trust takes a very long time to build in the first place, can be lost in an instant and once lost or damaged will take a very long time indeed to rebuild.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Those yougov ratings are atrocious. At what point do the moderates scent blood (though this is Labour we're talking about...)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

This is the Cyclefree Guide to the Nine Stages of a Crisis - which could, with some small adjustments, be applied to Labour and its attempt at an analysis of why it is in a mess.

1. people turn a blind eye
    2. people can't believe it
    3. people refuse to believe it
    4. people accept that something has gone wrong but insist that it is limited to one or two "bad apples". (In Labour's case, this is replaced by "we did not have an over-arching narrative but everyone really loved our policies.")
    5. when it becomes clear that not "one or two" (or that the "narrative" excuse does not work) stages 1, 2 and 3 are repeated
    6. people become more concerned with the reputation of / protecting the institution than dealing with what is wrong
    7. a limited inquiry is instituted in the hope that this will sort matters out. It won't.
    8. when it becomes public people become defensive and concentrate on the PR aspects. (A particular favourite of Labour this one: it's all the media's fault.)
    9. eventually ….. eventually when the stench and/or the outside pressure become too much to bear a much more extensive investigation is instituted and remedial measures are put in place. Almost inevitably this is done far too late. And the institution will have to deal with the continuing fall-out from the previous failures for some time long after it has put its house in order. (Several defeats are usually necessary for political parties to get the voters' message.)

The lesson to be learned (and there are many, of course) is that trust takes a very long time to build in the first place, can be lost in an instant and once lost or damaged will take a very long time indeed to rebuild.

You should send a copy of that to Lord Coe to reflect on.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2016
    @Cyclefree - Labour have managed to fit in their own, unique extra step:

8a. Having finally considered all the causes of the problem, select a new leader who will make every single one of them much worse as well as add in a host of new and even more serious problems, and then engage in a civil war.
This discussion has been closed.