Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » British politics 2016 in one word: Europe

124»

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

OT Culinary question - I tend to overcook lamb's liver - any suggestions on best way to do this?

1. Ensure all cats are fully fed and satiated.

2. Coat the liver with seasoned flour and fry in butter with garlic over a moderate heat for 3 minutes, turn and fry for one minute more.
    It is always nicer without the flour. Adds an unnecessary and unpleasant texture.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

HYUFD said:

"Miliband’s charity has received millions of pounds from Britain’s foreign aid budget"

It's not a charity then, it's a public sector organisation, and he (and his salary) should be accountable to the people of Britain.

No disagreement there from me
    Well, it's both - obviously it gets money from numerous sources, one of which is Britain, because our elected Government thinks that this is the best way to channel the money in question. The accounts are not secret, and if there's something about them that we don't like we're free to take it up with our elected government, who can review whether they still think it's the best use.

I don't, in principle, object to the idea that a charity may deliver something that Britain wants efficiently and therefore be a good use of public funds, do you? - for instance, it's possible to argue that Eton performs a public service, even though I might not agree. Nor is it necessarily mistaken to think that a large charity is best run by a very well-paid CEO, though £400K does seem a lot.

Apart from your not being keen on Miliband, what exactly are you objecting to? Have you studied the organisation's accounts and reached a considered conclusion?
    Well the accounts need to be open and transparent is the main point especially if it is receiving public funds and as you say even if you need to pay to attract quality $400k to run a charity is a little excessive. Eton of course provides scholarships
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

It's not quite a proper voting intention poll, but whether voters would like person x to be a candidate, but french polls are very rare so here it is:

http://www.leparisien.fr/politique/sondage-pour-88-des-francais-la-classe-politique-ne-se-renouvelle-pas-assez-01-01-2016-5415081.php

Juppe 56%
    Valls 38%
    Le Pen 37%
    Bayrou 33%
    Sarkozy 24%
    Hollande 24%

No surprise that the two tested and proven failures as presidents are at the bottom.

The fact it looks like being Sarkozy v Hollande will boost Le Pen, if it was Juppe v Valls she would likely be squeezed
    The French system means it will never be Le Pen.

She may repeat her father's success of getting through the first round but she won't win the second round. I wouldn't back her to win the second round at 100/1.
    Unlikely but if her opponent is Hollande it could be close
This discussion has been closed.