Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » StJohn returns with his annual Christmas Day Crossword

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » StJohn returns with his annual Christmas Day Crossword

There was a time when Christmas Day on PB wasn’t Christmas Day without the annual crossword by St John. We’ll this year he’s back and here it is. Enjoy and have a great day.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First across. Palmerston.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Joyous Christmas to one and all, wherever you are.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    9 Across Vacuum?
  • Options
    And Merry Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Happy Birthday to Justin Trudeau (44) and his brother Alexandre (42).
    RIP their little brother Michel (1975-1998) who was swept into a lake by an avalanche.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

First across. Palmerston.

Yes. Former parliamentarian = (Nick) Palmer. Point to Point = StoN (compass points, South and North).
  • Options
    SandraM said:

9 Across Vacuum?

Yes. VW reportedly = VUU (W out loud is double U). A carbon = A C (C is the chemical symbol for Carbon). Problem ultimately = M (last letter of problem). VUU hid AC then M = V (AC) UU M. Nature abhors a vacuum (Aristotle).
  • Options
    8 Across Nebraska
  • Options
    SandraM said:

8 Across Nebraska

Yes. Anagram of banks are; anagram indicated by broken.
  • Options
    6A jams
    8A Nebraska

Merry Christmas all.
  • Options

6A jams
    8A Nebraska

Merry Christmas all.

Yes. King = JAMES; out East = E deleted. Preserves = jams (cooked sweet fruit).
  • Options
    6 Down Jack Straw
  • Options
    26A Eden, as in garden of
  • Options
    Merry Christmas Everyone.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

6 Down Jack Straw

Yes. Double definition. Jack Straw was one of the three leaders, (together with John Ball and Wat Tyler) of the Peasants' Revolt of 1381.

This is Jack Straw's second appearance in the PB Xmas Crossword. He was the answer to 1 across in the very first PB crossword in 2007.

Mystery poster conceals most of thong from minister (4,5).

Mystery poster = Jack W. Most of thong = STRA(P). JACK W conceals STRA = JACK (STRA) W.
  • Options

26A Eden, as in garden of

No, not Eden.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    When I am at home, father-son bonding with my dad typically involves spending Sunday afternoon up the pub trying to solve the Telegraph's cryptic crossword. I'll give this a go but I'm not getting my hopes up as I am typically terrible at them!
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, everyone.

Mite colder today, but after those two Arctic winters it's nothing (here) too bad. Hope Cumbria isn't flooded again.
  • Options
    1D Punic Wars
  • Options
    edited December 2015

1D Punic Wars

Yes. Right wing = R (wing of the word Right). Caught = c (cricket). Dodgy = anagram indicator. Anagram of "R was c up in".

One for TSE and Morris Dancer, I think?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    edited December 2015
    Mr. Meeks, the right wing bit is making me wonder.

Fits better with the Battle of Pharsalus. Could it be Civil Wars?

Edited extra bit: Mr. StJohn, evidently not :p

Cunning work by Mr. Meeks.
  • Options
    7D Maudlin
  • Options
    In keeping with the finest longstanding traditions of PB.com, I bring you once again the finest joke ever recited here:

A Brummie goes for a job interview wearing a polyester shirt, bright flares and big boots.
    The interviewer says "All you need now is a kipper tie."
    The Brummie replies, "That would be love-lay, two sugars, ploise."

It's the way I tell 'em!

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Options

7D Maudlin

Yes. Near homonym of Maudling and Maudlin. Magdalen would have been more exact phonetically.

"Good luck old cock. Sorry to leave it in such a mess."
  • Options
    9A Vacuum
  • Options

9A Vacuum

Yes.
  • Options

In keeping with the finest longstanding traditions of PB.com, I bring you once again the finest joke ever recited here:

A Brummie goes for a job interview wearing a polyester shirt, bright flares and big boots.

It's the way I tell 'em!

Indeed it is. And a Happy Xmas to you, OGH, and all Peebies :)

• Options

It's the way I tell 'em!

:-)

Please don't mention The Villa.

:-(
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2015
    OT..THE LADY IN THE VAN...Brilliant.
    such a good crop this year..
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Good Morning and Christmas greetings from Cumbria,Eden valley,many families here have had their property destroyed, and they are braced for another battering.
    We are safe, and are leaving the area before the next storm,the last storm shut many of the bridges here,and washed the main road away,so time to leave.
    Thanks to all posters for their comments over the year,and to Mike and RCS for keeping the site going.
  • Options
    Mr. Dee, hope your property (and yourself, of course) aren't too badly hit.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    jayfee..Warwick Road always flooded..even as a kid..60..70 years ago I remember it being three feet deep in water...which is probably why we moved out..
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

jayfee..Wwarwick Road always flooded..even as a kid..60..70 years ago I remember it being three feet deep in water...which is probably why we moved out..

Yes at the last big Carlisle flood, I stood at the Langwathby bridge,with the bridge under water at one end, and the Eden half a mile wide, and watched vehicles float past, and thought God help Carlisle when this lot hits.
  • Options
    jayfee...have they stopped dredging in the Solway..all that silt has to go somewhere
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    JUST NOTICED A SMALL TYPO. 24 ACROSS. SPECIALITY SHOULD BE SPECIALTY. (It makes little difference in actual fact).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    stjohn said:

It's the way I tell 'em!

:-)

Please don't mention The Villa.

:-(
    Tommorow Villa play West Ham. Imagine the confusion that will abound in the Cameron household!

• Options
    15 Down sidelined : anagram Denis (Healey) and idle.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

15 Down sidelined : anagram Denis (Healey) and idle.

Yes. Denis "rejected" = thrown backwards = SINED. Action is the anagram indicator for idle = IDEL. SINED embraced IDEL = S (IDEL) INED.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    A very happy Christmas to the good ship PB and all who sail in her. Thanks for another gripping and influential year.

I think 17A = STATE and 18D = TRUDEAU
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    6a JAMS (king)james-e
  • Options
    17a STATE s(econd)+tate
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    tpfkar said:

A very happy Christmas to the good ship PB and all who sail in her. Thanks for another gripping and influential year.

I think 17A = STATE and 18D = TRUDEAU

Yes. "Condition of" is the definition for state. Second = S. Philanthropist = Tate.

Tory leader = T. Insulting = RUDE. To the French = AU.
  • Options
    Just realised:

First Christmas under a Conservative government since 1996! We English can once again be proud of our Christian nation...! *

* Different rules may apply in the Celtic-regions/parishes and the Caliphate of the M62. Any inter-religious upset is purely intentional!!!

:relaxed:
  • Options
    Would 11 Across be Babs Castle? Barbara Castle was known as the Red Queen and Castle is a chess piece.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

Would 11 Across be Babs Castle? Barbara Castle was known as the Red Queen and Castle is a chess piece.

Not quite right .....
  • Options
    stjohn said:

SandraM said:

Not quite right .....
    Lady Castle?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

stjohn said:

SandraM said:

Not quite right .....
    Lady Castle?
    Yes. The Lady Castle was how she was known apparently, once ennobled.
  • Options
    4d Thaddeus Stevens
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    26a - WELL? Short for Wellesy (or Wellington)
    Edit, can't be right doesn't fit with Trudeau..
  • Options
    Merry Christmas to Mike, the PB team and all PBers.
    Following on from PfP's Kipper Tie joke.

A frog walks into a bank and approaches the teller, whose name plate says Patricia Whack.

"Hello Miss Whack, I'd like to get a $50,000 loan to take a vacation."

Patrica looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name.

"Kermit Jagger. My father is Mick Jagger. It will be fine to authorize the loan, I know your manager."

Patricia explains that he will need to secure the loan with some collateral.

"Sure, how about this," said Kermit as he produces a tiny porcelain elephant, about an inch tall, bright pink and perfectly formed. Very confused, Patricia explains that she'll have to consult with the bank manager and disappears into a back office.

Patricia walks into the manager's office and proceeds to tell her, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $50,000, and he wants to use this as collateral." Patriciay holds up the tiny pink elephant. "I mean, what in the world is this?"

The bank manager looks back at her and says..."It's a knick knack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old man's a Rolling Stone."
  • Options

4d Thaddeus Stevens

Yes. Cat = (Cat) STEVENS. (Yusuf Islam, Morning Has Broken). A pair of Democrats (abbreviation D) = A D D. America = The US. ADD in The US = THADDEUS. STEVENS supports (down clue) THADDEUS = THADDEUS STEVENS. Anti-slavery Radical Republican.
  • Options
    The second letter of 26 Across is U from Trudeau. Would it be Rudd - short for ruddy?
  • Options
    SandraM said:

The second letter of 26 Across is U from Trudeau. Would it be Rudd - short for ruddy?

Yes. Blooming = RUDDY. Short = missing the last letter, so RUDD(Y).
  • Options
    5 down Novice (Mary) Whitehouse fought for this. No-vice.
  • Options

A frog walks into a bank and approaches the teller, whose name plate says Patricia Whack.

"Kermit Jagger. My father is Mick Jagger. It will be fine to authorize the loan, I know your manager."

"Sure, how about this," said Kermit as he produces a tiny porcelain elephant, about an inch tall, bright pink and perfectly formed. Very confused, Patricia explains that she'll have to consult with the bank manager and disappears into a back office.

Patricia walks into the manager's office and proceeds to tell her, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $50,000, and he wants to use this as collateral." Patriciay holds up the tiny pink elephant. "I mean, what in the world is this?"

The bank manager looks back at her and says..."It's a knick knack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old man's a Rolling Stone."

Yes Hertsmere, just like mine, that's certainly a very fine joke, even at the nth time of telling.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

5 down Novice (Mary) Whitehouse fought for this. No-vice.

Yes.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Good morning all

May all Peebies have a very happy and peaceful Christmas. Many thanks to OGH and all those that write the headers, keep the mechanics going and moderate on our behalf.

And finally......

Good King Wenceslas phoned Domino's for a pizza.
    The salesgirl asked him:- 'Do you want your usual?
    Deep pan, crisp and even?'

Have. Great day everyone.....!
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :lol:

Merry Christmas All.

Hope Santa's been very generous.
    Moses_ said:

Good morning all

May all Peebies have a very happy and peaceful Christmas. Many thanks to OGH and all those that write the headers, keep the mechanics going and moderate on our behalf.

And finally......

Good King Wenceslas phoned Domino's for a pizza.
    The salesgirl asked him:- 'Do you want your usual?
    Deep pan, crisp and even?'

Have. Great day everyone.....!

• Options
    3d ROSALIND (Island or*)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    12a ASTRONAUT? (It's 9 letters not 10)
  • Options
    Merry Christmas all!
  • Options
    10a. Clem
  • Options
    1d Punic Wars
  • Options

3d ROSALIND (Island or*)

Yes. Resort is the anagram indicator.
  • Options
    13d Retracted
  • Options
    13d RETRACTED carter<-- +ted
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Yes. Revolutionary is CASTRO. (C)ASTRO with leader eliminated is ASTRO. Union is NUT (National Union of Teachers). Over a Union is NUT over A = N(A)UT. Michael Collins was one of the three astronauts on Apollo 11. Unlike Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin he didn't land on the moon.

9 letters as you say, not 10.
  • Options

10a. Clem

Yes. Clem(ent) briefly = CLEM (Attlee). His opponent's wife was CLEM(entine) Churchill.
  • Options
    2d LAB TEST battles*
  • Options
    Yes. President Carter retreating = RETRAC, before TED Kennedy.
  • Options

2d LAB TEST battles*

Yes. Pitched over is the anagram indicator.
  • Options
    27a ROSE TINTED (rosetted around in)
  • Options
    27a Rose-tinted
  • Options

27a ROSE TINTED (rosetted around in)

Yes. Governing = IN. Panglossian = "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds"
  • Options
    19a Isherwood
  • Options
    Epic :lol:
    'Is that planet Earth?' Major Tim apologises to mystery woman after dialling the WRONG number from the International Space Station with a Christmas greeting

Astronaut Tim Peake rang the wrong number making a Christmas greeting
    He asked the woman: 'Hello, is that planet Earth?' from the space station
    He took to twitter to assure the woman that the call was not a prank
    The ISS crew will have lunch today prepared by chef Heston Blumenthal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3373743/Is-planet-Earth-Astro-Tim-apologises-woman-prank-call-dialling-wrong-number-International-Space-Station-Christmas-greeting.html#ixzz3vKGevalD
  • Options
    Merry Christmas to all, and congratulations to Mike and the team for another fantastic (and very profitable) year. What a year it has been. I never expected to make money from Jeremy Corbyn of all people!

2016 looks like being a bumper year too. We'll have much to talk about and bet on: the Trump circus, the Irish election, the Holyrood election, the London Mayoral and the local elections, almost certainly the EU referendum, and the US presidential election. And, no doubt, a whole year of speculation about whether Jeremy Corbyn is going to be defenestrated.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Christmas cheer already kicking in for me as I responded at length on the previous thread..

Happy Christmas to all thanks Mike for hosting us so, er, genially.
  • Options
    25a Electron
  • Options
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS - EVERYONE!
  • Options

19a Isherwood

Yes. Writer = (Christopher) ISHERWOOD. Is a woman's = IS HER. MP = (Leanne) WOOD, (Plaid Cymru).

Christopher Isherwood wrote The Berlin Stories on which "I am a Camera" and then "Cabaret" is based. He also wrote A Single Man, subsequently a film starring Colin Firth.
  • Options

25a Electron

Yes. Reagan's campaign message would have been "ELECT RON". An electron is characteristically negatively charged.
  • Options
    20d OUTTROT
  • Options
    edited December 2015

20d OUTTROT

Yes. On (race-) course to overtake is to OUTTROT. To expose is to OUT and a Left wing extremist is a TROT.
  • Options
    22a CURATES EGG - clegg-l+sureat*
  • Options
    16d WEDGIEST!!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2015
    Good morning and a Merry Christmas to all.

The only day - if you're staying at home - to loll about in your pyjamas: if one still wears such things. ;)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It reminds me of a similar story:

A Hotel in London had a vacancy for an assistant dish washer, to help the principal dish washer Hans.

Gervase, the manager, was in charge of the interviews. The only application came from a lime coloured squid with a bushy moustache. The squid made the case that he was at home in the water and with ten tentacles could wash multiple dishes similtaneously. He got the job.

Sadly, it did not work out. The squid broke multiple plates and left ink stains on the others.

He had to go, but Gervase was a famously kind man and couldn't face the poor mollusc. He delegated the sacking to Hans.

Hans started the difficult conversation but soon the squid was blubbing about how he needed the job and Hans could not go through with the sacking. The squid stayed on

Thats right:

Hans that do dishes are as soft as Gervase with lime green hairy lipped squid!
  • Options
    edited December 2015

22a CURATES EGG - clegg-l+sureat*

Yes. A curate's egg is "good in parts".

CLEGG with L(eft) replaced by anagram of "sure at" = URATES; with surprising as the anagram indicator.

Derived from a cartoon in Punch (November, 1895) in which a timid curate, who has been served a bad egg while breakfasting with his bishop, says that parts of the egg are excellent.
  • Options
    20 down out-trot?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    stjohn said:

Yes. Revolutionary is CASTRO. (C)ASTRO with leader eliminated is ASTRO. Union is NUT (National Union of Teachers). Over a Union is NUT over A = N(A)UT. Michael Collins was one of the three astronauts on Apollo 11. Unlike Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin he didn't land on the moon.

Was scratching my head over the Irish Independence Leader. Was trying to get IRA and Ulster involved!
  • Options
    edited December 2015

16d WEDGIEST!!

Yes!! Tony Benn's = WEDGIE'S, (Anthony Neil Wedgwood Benn was known as Wedgie Benn). Time = T. A WEDGE is a divisive figure so an adjective describing something as the most like a wedge is WEDGIEST.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

20 down out-trot?

Yes.
  • Options
    Where's Christmas being celebrated most today

Daily chart: The centre of Christianity https://t.co/f7hgC3mu9D https://t.co/clp6qviALG
  • Options

stjohn said:

Was scratching my head over the Irish Independence Leader. Was trying to get IRA and Ulster involved!
    That was the intended misdirection!
  • Options
    23a ETAL or et al(ia)
  • Options
    24a MENTAL EarNoseThroat in Lam(b)<---
  • Options

23a ETAL or et al(ia)

Yes. As in folk who write a paper that's published. The unnamed collaborators are "ET AL"(ia) - and the others.

It's also a small village in Northumberland that has a castle.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

24a MENTAL EarNoseThroat in Lam(b)<---</p>

Yes. Intellectual = MENTAL. LAM(B) is the Prime Minister nearly written in full who is retired or written backwards as MAL and holds the ENT specialty, so M (ENT) AL.
  • Options
    14a IRONS Iron (Age) + s(ociety) = removes creases
This discussion has been closed.