Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Making sense of White House race and other polling – what’s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Making sense of White House race and other polling – what’s relevant and what isn’t

Wise advice both for WH2016 poll watchers & British political watchers

pic.twitter.com/ZvDXN7k3na

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Thirst?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Excellent advice.
  • Options
    Episode I: The Phantom MORI
    Episode II: Attack of the ComRes
    Episode III: Revenge of the Spiral of Silence
    Episode IV: A New Opinion Hope
    Episode V: The Polling Industry Strikes Back
    Episode VI: Return of the YouGov
    Episode VII: The Opinion Poll Awakens
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Episode I: The Phantom MORI
    Episode II: Attack of the ComRes
    Episode III: Revenge of the Spiral of Silence
    Episode IV: A New Opinion Hope
    Episode V: The Polling Industry Strikes Back
    Episode VI: Return of the YouGov
    Episode VII: The Opinion Poll Awakens

Episode VIII Point Tory Pead?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    FPT
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Back in the late 60s, they had something called 'articled' (?) where you work for an attorney firm and then take the exam. I was going to work for the firm of a friend of my father in Yorkshire. At the last minute I got a job offer (I was 17) from IBM in London. Dales vs London at 17? No brainer. IBM it was.

Today that firm is still my family's UK attorney, and my daughter (who works in the legal profession) swears I'm the best cross-examiner she's ever met. When she was younger and got into trouble or didn't want to talk about a boyfriend, she knew when I sat down with her that I would get to the truth eventually.

There's a cross-over between I.T. and the law - they're both based on logic and deduction.
    Some of the very best lawyers, Denning and MacKay of Clashfern, had first degrees in pure mathematics so you may be on to something. If I enjoy one aspect of my job it is probably cross. It is so rarely that you get to be that rude to someone in the real world.
    My daughter was accused of cheating in High School during an exam. I asked to see the evidence and it simply didn't make sense.

I demanded a meeting with the principal, the teacher making the allegation, and student affairs folks. After 2 hours they asked to adjourn the meeting. The next day the principal called me and said "I think we dropped the ball on this one.". A letter of apology was put in her file and her test score was reinstated.

The best part is when you see in the eyes of the person you're questioning that they suddenly realize you're closing in on the truth.

It's a useful skill to have even in the real world.

Watching folks squirm when they suddenly 'get' where your questioning is going at their expense is truly great.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    13. Remember to trust your ARSE more than your ELBOW!
  • Options

I'll pretend I didn't see that :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

I'll pretend I didn't see that :)
    To be fair the ELBOW wasn't predictive, it was just stating the facts. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn 'to announce reshuffle within weeks' after planning demotions over Christmas holidays https://t.co/OQOzZ6A72u
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn 'to announce reshuffle within weeks' after planning demotions over Christmas holidays https://t.co/OQOzZ6A72u

That’s going to ruin the festive season for a lot of worried MPs – It's the new kind of politics.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tory Pead?

Who now?
This discussion has been closed.