Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With perhaps just 6 months before EURef and just 1% tell Ip

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With perhaps just 6 months before EURef and just 1% tell Ipsos MORI that EU most important issue facing the country

With perhaps only months to go before Britain votes on whether or not to remain in the EU the latest Ipsos MORI Issues Index shows that those thinking this is Britain’s biggest issue is just 1%. Another 4% named it as one the other issues facing the country but that only makes a paltry 5%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I have to say that I have all sorts of problems with this sort of polling.

First, the framing of the question. What is the most important facing Britain today. That focuses the interviewees mind on immediate problems, which is strongly correlated with issues with a direct personal impact. It is no surprise that something at such a meta- and impersonal level as the EU does not spring to mind unprompted.

Second, the EU impacts virtually all the issues listed.

Third, the question does not even give a good clue as to what importance means. Is it urgency, is it impact (and for whom), is it significance?

Ask this sort of question and you'll get a mishmash of what is occupying peoples' minds in the moment, not a considered response as to the very big, more abstract issues of the constitutional type.

So go ahead, believe that the constitutional issues of the UK's role in the EU are considered of importance by only 1 or 5% of the population if you want. That is clearly bollocks. Is it at the forefront of consideration in the moment of that number. That would be unsurprising.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2015
    By the same token less than one in 10 name crime/law and order as an issue (and only 2% as main issue) yet I wouldn't say that means the public don't give a damn about crime.
  • Options

By the same token less than one in 10 name crime/law and order as an issue (and only 2% as main issue) yet I wouldn't say that means the public don't give a damn about crime.

Indeed, in the context of the referendum, this polling is meaningless.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2015
    Fifa presidential candidate Tokyo Sexwale has appeared before a US grand jury in New York as part of an on-going investigation into World Cup bribes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35155892
  • Options

Fifa presidential candidate Tokyo Sexwale has appeared before a US grand jury in New York as part of an on-going investigation into World Cup bribes.

With a name like that, how could he not?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MTimT said:

He is a "witness" assisting the FBI ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MTimT said:

He is a "witness" assisting the FBI ?
    Does that imply that he is the small fry being leveraged up?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I thought that was just someone's nick name for Sepp Blatter!
  • Options
    Is that good for IN or OUT?

IN

In SINDYREF we had a fully engaged electorate where OUT had "won every argument" (sic) and yet the losers voters still voted for the status quo.

Given the "certainty" of "nailed on Independence" the Zoomers TRAITORS might want to get themselves a new electorate - the current lot only rate constitutional issues at 1% as the most important and 8% among the most important of issues...
  • Options

IN

In SINDYREF we had a fully engaged electorate where OUT had "won every argument" (sic) and yet the losers voters still voted for the status quo.

Given the "certainty" of "nailed on Independence" the Zoomers TRAITORS might want to get themselves a new electorate - the current lot only rate constitutional issues at 1% as the most important and 8% among the most important of issues...

Are you asserting that those in favour of "leave" are traitors?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

IN

Surely those giving powers to a foreign body that does not swear allegiance to the crown are the 'TRAITORS'?
  • Options

IN

No. Only the Zoomers who call Unionists "Loyalists" - and given their WWII history.....
  • Options

IN

No. Only the Zoomers who call Unionists "Loyalists" - and given their WWII history.....
    I doubt he was alive during WWII, tbh...
  • Options

IN

anyway...

I'm not sure about yr analysis. At least the Scottish referendum was fought about Scotland.

Looks like the EU referendum is going to be fought on issues more or less tangential to the EU. Which makes it more unpredictable, maybe
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2015
    What a load of cobblers... I suppose the EU has nothing to do with Immigration or terrorism then.

Membership of the EU is fundamentally about who controls the UK's borders, which is absolutely the key issue on controlling both immigration and terrorism. Open borders means no security, and ultimately no welfare state, and impacts at least to some extent on almost all the issues in list.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2015
    Wonder why this didn't make the national media...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/16/big_brother_born_ntac_gchq_mi5_mass_surveillance_data_slurping/
    Big Brother is born. And we find out 15 years too late to stop him
    Elected MPs were deliberately misled by Brit spy agencies
    Exclusive The "Big Brother" comprehensive national database system feared by many MPs has been built behind their backs over the last decade, and even has a name for its most intrusive component: a central London national phone and internet tapping centre called PRESTON.
  • Options
    Have to say, this is nonsense. On that basis, most people don't give a damn about the NHS. In fact, most people don't give a damn about any particular issue. What a content nation we are ;-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    lolandol said:

Have to say, this is nonsense. On that basis, most people don't give a damn about the NHS. In fact, most people don't give a damn about any particular issue. What a content nation we are ;-)

A fair point indeed, although maybe that explains why our parties fight over marginal matters so much, and why there is such a range of issues of similar but low importance. People occasionally lament that the people are pessimistic types who don't realise we are doing better than mist places in the world and human history, but this apparent contentment perhaps show the public do recognise that.

Or just that when put on the spot people's views are thinly spread across a broad range of issues.
  • Options
    I'd sack the graphic-artist personally: Look's as bad as Stodge's Crayola postings (and as decipherable).

:off-topic:

Saw the last ten minutes of 'Bad Education' on Al-Beeb III last-night: Was that a cameo apprearence from Unckie-Clown? Oh, Xmas-merriment....
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I have to say that I have all sorts of problems with this sort of polling.

First, the framing of the question. What is the most important facing Britain today. That focuses the interviewees mind on immediate problems, which is strongly correlated with issues with a direct personal impact. It is no surprise that something at such a meta- and impersonal level as the EU does not spring to mind unprompted.

Second, the EU impacts virtually all the issues listed.

Third, the question does not even give a good clue as to what importance means. Is it urgency, is it impact (and for whom), is it significance?

Ask this sort of question and you'll get a mishmash of what is occupying peoples' minds in the moment, not a considered response as to the very big, more abstract issues of the constitutional type.

So go ahead, believe that the constitutional issues of the UK's role in the EU are considered of importance by only 1 or 5% of the population if you want. That is clearly bollocks. Is it at the forefront of consideration in the moment of that number. That would be unsurprising.

I'd be surprised if even 5% of the population gave much thought to the constitutional issues surrounding the UK's membership of the EU. That's over three million people. Away from PB I don't think I've ever come across anyone who ruminates on it - at least enough to bring the subject up in conversation.

That said, immigration, employment, security etc clearly have strong EU angles - so even if people do not link them immediately, there's no doubt referendum campaigning and media coverage of thiatbwill bring the connections to the fore.

My strong impression is that there are more committed Leavers than Remainers, but that most people at this stage are there to be convinced - or, more accurately, made to care. It will all be about turnout. The lower it is, the better it will be for Leave.

• Options
    Who'd have thought that political obsessive a are atypical?
  • Options
    You have to question the use of the word "today" it will tend to downplay things with a longer term impact.

Also, I notice that people seem even less concerned about inflation. Not surprising, as it is 0% at the moment, but it doesn't mean it is unimportant.
  • Options

Who'd have thought that political obsessive a are atypical?

Yep, it's a real puzzler. Next thing someone will tell me most folk don't give much thought to intellectual property, even though it surrounds them and has a significant impact on things like employment, economic growth and prices :-)

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    @Mr HurstLlama: I responded to you on the great PowerPoint issue of our time on the previous thread. Will not bore people here.

@MTimT: would you be able to resend me your email link please. I wanted to follow up on your Nature article. Many thanks.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Indigo said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/16/big_brother_born_ntac_gchq_mi5_mass_surveillance_data_slurping/

Exclusive The "Big Brother" comprehensive national database system feared by many MPs has been built behind their backs over the last decade, and even has a name for its most intrusive component: a central London national phone and internet tapping centre called PRESTON.
    You appear to have missed out a bit from your cut and paste.

From the article you link, "The phones were then targetted for MI5 "implants" (malware), authorised by a ministerial warrant."
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2015
    The first 17 concerns listed are all,in some way,connected to membership of the EU...
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    Excellent news. May orders independent review into Sharia courts http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/law/article4647191.ece

I'd rather just ban them, but that's easier said than done no doubt.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I'm curious who commissioned Ipsos Mori to produce this poll.
  • Options

Currently, the Economist. The series has been published since 1974.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    saddened said:

Indigo said:

From the article you link, "The phones were then targetted for MI5 "implants" (malware), authorised by a ministerial warrant."

To be fair, you've also missed the key part. Why this needs to be in central London rather than a provincial town, say Cheltenham.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Excellent news. May orders independent review into Sharia courts http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/law/article4647191.ece

You'd then have to do a similar thing to the Jewish courts.
  • Options

It's been running for forty years according to the header, so I doubt there's any ulterior motive.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12063128/Even-death-will-not-spare-Lord-Janner-from-justice.html

There is something in this, I think.

I expect I will be criticised but anyhow I will go ahead. Yesterday morning on Radio 4, one of Janner's accusers was complaining that he and others would not get "justice" and yet he refused to reveal his name. I am troubled by this. Anonymous accusations years after the alleged events when the risk of retaliation is non-existent is not really compatible with transparent justice. Justice requires that we know the names of the accusers, it seems to me, and can test what they have to say, at least as much as testing what the accused said and did.

I found it troubling that no-one challenged the person making the accusation about why they were unwilling to reveal themselves while at the same time making and repeating very grave accusations against a dead man within 48 hours of his death.

Have we forgotten Lord MacAlpine so soon?
  • Options

The first 17 concerns listed are all,in some way,connected to membership of the EU...

We wouldn't have drug addicts if we left the EU, either. And if everyone thought exactly what RD thinks, why, England would be the Earthly Paradise :)
  • Options
    RobD...and then there is The Court of Public Opinion..
  • Options
    matt said:

saddened said:

Indigo said:

To be fair, you've also missed the key part. Why this needs to be in central London rather than a provincial town, say Cheltenham.

Because it is run by the security service, based in London, not GCHQ, based in Cheltenham, at a guess.
  • Options
    Which is the whole point if you have a Sovereignty vs EU issue.

• Options

This must be the integration I've been hearing about from the liberal bedwetters for so long, we have to accept that women are ill treated in some cultures as part of our drive towards multiculturalism.

It's a strange society where we're terrified of protecting women and children for fear of being branded. I shake my head in disbelief that a separate justice system runs alongside one that was established here centuries ago.

• Options
    saddened said:

It's been running for forty years according to the header, so I doubt there's any ulterior motive.
    I'm not suggesting anything untoward, I just wonder who would pay a polling company for this sort of information and why they want it.

• Options
    Innocent Abroad..let me assist with your counting ..Drug Abuse is listed at number 20.. that is all of your fingers and all of your toes...BIG numbers.. so take it easy
  • Options

Currently, the Economist. The series has been published since 1974.
    Thanks very much that explains it, makes sense now.

• Options

saddened said:

I'm not suggesting anything untoward, I just wonder who would pay a polling company for this sort of information and why they want it.

It would be a sad day if MORI decided to stop doing this issue tracker series. I think the question has been asked the same way in every poll for the last 40 years.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Here we go again. Only if there is evidence of there being problems with their rulings eg undermining or being incompatible with English law. But not doing it just to appear even-handed in the absence of any problems. Risk assessment focuses on real risks, on the most serious risks not on spurious "fairness".

It should be possible to ban but it is politically easier, I expect, to do so on the basis of evidence. And that makes - or should make - for better legislation and, crucially, effective enforcement. It may also be possible to make changes which could make them, in some cases, compatible with and subject to English law.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Hmm...If I had been asked and not made my excuses like I normally would I would have said the deficit and public debt (possibly subsumed under economy) and security (already under 1) with education possibly getting a mention.

There is absolutely no way I would have mentioned the EU (not least because my associate membership of the fiscally dry, socially liberal not obsessed with gays and Europe party might be suspended before the national launch and inevitable victory) and I have recognised on here that I think about it a lot more than pretty much anyone I know in the real world.

The EU seems to matter a lot to a very small number of people whose idea of self and concept of nationhood is tied up with self determination and sovereignty. Almost all of these people, so far as I can tell, are leavers. NickP is probably the closest we have to a Europhile on the Board and even he gives the impression of generally going through the motions.

Does this suggest turnout is the key to the result? The fewer people vote the greater say the obsessives have. Maybe this poll is not that bad for out after all. The EU makes AV look almost interesting.
  • Options

This must be the integration I've been hearing about from the liberal bedwetters for so long, we have to accept that women are ill treated in some cultures as part of our drive towards multiculturalism.

It's a strange society where we're terrified of protecting women and children for fear of being branded. I shake my head in disbelief that a separate justice system runs alongside one that was established here centuries ago.

To be fair the English legal system did not very effectively protect women until relatively recently. All the more reason for not losing those rights for some of our female citizens.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Here we go again. Only if there is evidence of there being problems with their rulings eg undermining or being incompatible with English law. But not doing it just to appear even-handed in the absence of any problems. Risk assessment focuses on real risks, on the most serious risks not on spurious "fairness".

It should be possible to ban but it is politically easier, I expect, to do so on the basis of evidence. And that makes - or should make - for better legislation and, crucially, effective enforcement. It may also be possible to make changes which could make them, in some cases, compatible with and subject to English law.

Surely then the focus should be to stop the Islamic courts dishing out rulings that undermine/are incompatible with English/UK law?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Hence "easier said than done". And people should be at liberty to subject themselves voluntarily to a tribunal based on their religious or ethical beliefs. But this appears not to be voluntarily, and no self-established "court" should violate the laws of the land, so a review seems reasonable.

I also don't understand why we introduce specific laws against FGM and forced marriage, and fail to use them, where existing offences such as GBH and conspiracy to rape would already seem to fit the bill.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @CHSommers: Want to close wage gap? Step one: Change your major from feminist dance therapy to electrical engineering. #NationalOffendACollegeStudentDay
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Banning Sharia courts specifically while leaving other binding arbitration fora untouched would surely be impossible. But it is essential - and perfectly possible - to ensure they deal only with civil matters, that all participants are clear they can only be legitimate if they operate within the bounds set by English law and that there is no obligation to use them.

• Options

Innocent Abroad..let me assist with your counting ..Drug Abuse is listed at number 20.. that is all of your fingers and all of your toes...BIG numbers.. so take it easy

You have to gaze in awe at Dodd's enormous brain. We've never met but he KNOWS I've never lost a finger or a toe in an industrial accident.

For the avoidance of doubt. Everyone who disagrees with Dodd disagrees with God. That's why their names are so similar :)

• Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Surely then the focus should be to stop the Islamic courts dishing out rulings that undermine/are incompatible with English/UK law?
    Isn't that what the review will be looking at? One of the issues may be - as other courts have found - that the very principles of sharia law are incompatible with English law, so that if you make sharia courts give rulings which are compatible with English law, they are no longer sharia rulings. If there is such a clash - and that is my understanding at least in some areas of the law - then English law and English courts should prevail. We cannot have separate communities of British citizens opting out of the law which applies to the rest of us. Everyone equal under the law and the law applying equally to all of us.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited December 2015

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Banning Sharia courts specifically while leaving other binding arbitration fora untouched would surely be impossible. But it is essential - and perfectly possible - to ensure they deal only with civil matters, that all participants are clear they can only be legitimate if they operate within the bounds set by English law and that there is no obligation to use them.
    The UKIP 2015 manifesto, that I doubt many people outside PB-type circles have actually read, calls for:
    "Those attending faith-based tribunals must be informed that they cannot be forced to
    attend and that the rulings from such hearings may not be legally binding under
    British law.""
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Cyclefree said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12063128/Even-death-will-not-spare-Lord-Janner-from-justice.html

I expect I will be criticised but anyhow I will go ahead. Yesterday morning on Radio 4, one of Janner's accusers was complaining that he and others would not get "justice" and yet he refused to reveal his name. I am troubled by this. Anonymous accusations years after the alleged events when the risk of retaliation is non-existent is not really compatible with transparent justice. Justice requires that we know the names of the accusers, it seems to me, and can test what they have to say, at least as much as testing what the accused said and did.

I found it troubling that no-one challenged the person making the accusation about why they were unwilling to reveal themselves while at the same time making and repeating very grave accusations against a dead man within 48 hours of his death.

Its a tricky one but if I had been sexually abused as a child I would not want that generally known. I do think it would affect how people thought of me and not in a good way. We have anonymity for rape victims for the same reason.

That said, I agree that their evidence has to be properly tested. From my very limited experience of these things through clients and in my brief time as a prosecutor (some years ago now) many alleged victims have mental health and drug issues which they would maintain are a consequence of their dreadful experiences. This may be true and I think we generally underestimate how much drug use is or at least starts as a form of self medication for PTSD, nightmares etc but it does make their evidence somewhat problematic.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Two points against this thread:
    1) It's irrelevant. A referendum was in the manifesto, and it's nice to see, unlike Labour's reneging on their referendum and Clegg's idiotic three line whip abstention, the Conservatives are actually going to do what they said they would.

2) One might argue that immigration is not entirely unrelated to the EU.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Isn't that what the review will be looking at? One of the issues may be - as other courts have found - that the very principles of sharia law are incompatible with English law, so that if you make sharia courts give rulings which are compatible with English law, they are no longer sharia rulings. If there is such a clash - and that is my understanding at least in some areas of the law - then English law and English courts should prevail. We cannot have separate communities of British citizens opting out of the law which applies to the rest of us. Everyone equal under the law and the law applying equally to all of us.
    But Muslims won't feel equal. They'll feel victims. You are, in effect, a recruiting sergeant for Da'esh.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

I don't agree with your first sentence. Sharia courts are not simple arbitration fora. They seek to rule on matters which are not normally permitted by arbitration tribunals, such as family matters, inheritance, divorce, domestic violence etc. Banning such courts seems to me to be essential and sensible. There simply is no comparison between such courts and an arbitration tribunal subject to the Arbitration Acts and the English courts ruling on a commercial contract, freely entered into by parties with appropriate legal advice.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    IA..I did assume you had a complete set of digits..I do apologise if one or two have gone missing or if you have some extras...never mind..As you have no idea whether I am religious or not (as it happens..I am not) then your last comment makes you look even more stupid .. ..
  • Options
    There's a fascinating piece here on Rhodes, by someone who actually seems to know his subject http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4647040.ece
  • Options
    Yesterday, Lord Macdonald appeared on the Today programme, and was asked what he thought about putting a dead man on trial. The former Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) thought about it for a second, then gave the following response. “It’s quite finely balanced. It’s a difficult decision again for the DPP, and I don’t envy her.” Finally he concluded that there may be something “unseemly” about the whole thing.

Finely balanced? A difficult decision? We are talking here about the proposition that we should be sending our legal system off in pursuit of the dead. I wonder what people will think when they look back? The law students of the 22nd century, for example.
  • Options

IA..I did assume you had a complete set of digits..I do apologise if one or two have gone missing or if you have some extras...never mind..As you have no idea whether I am religious or not (as it happens..I am not then your last comment makes you look even more stupid .. ..

Dodd IS God - God isn't religious AFAIK, God doesn't need to be. But as Dodd IS God, he knows that already...

• Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Its a tricky one but if I had been sexually abused as a child I would not want that generally known. I do think it would affect how people thought of me and not in a good way. We have anonymity for rape victims for the same reason.

That said, I agree that their evidence has to be properly tested. From my very limited experience of these things through clients and in my brief time as a prosecutor (some years ago now) many alleged victims have mental health and drug issues which they would maintain are a consequence of their dreadful experiences. This may be true and I think we generally underestimate how much drug use is or at least starts as a form of self medication for PTSD, nightmares etc but it does make their evidence somewhat problematic.
    I do understand that difficulty. But still on balance I think once one is an adult evidence should not be given anonymously. After all, bad as it is to be thought of as a victim of sexual abuse, how much worse is it to be known as a perpetrator of it, especially if your accuser is anonymous.

A difficult issue I know but there are good reasons why all decent societies have a horror of anonymous accusations.

• Options
    I have no bind with Sharia, Ecclesiatic nor Torah courts; so long as they obay Ceasar's law first. The problem is the delphics that masquarade as "lawyers": Shylock would be fuming at them...!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

I don't agree with your first sentence. Sharia courts are not simple arbitration fora. They seek to rule on matters which are not normally permitted by arbitration tribunals, such as family matters, inheritance, divorce, domestic violence etc. Banning such courts seems to me to be essential and sensible. There simply is no comparison between such courts and an arbitration tribunal subject to the Arbitration Acts and the English courts ruling on a commercial contract, freely entered into by parties with appropriate legal advice.

They are arbitration forums. De jure their rulings are only binding and enforceable to the extent they are compatible with English law. De facto, though, that may not be the case and that is what needs to be dealt with. For a start I'd stop calling them courts. You are compelled to appear before a court. Legalky, you have to agree to submit to arbitration.

• Options
    The world is going mad - little by little http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/12063373/Sultan-of-Brunei-bans-Christmas-because-it-could-damage-faith-of-Muslims.html
    The Sultan of Brunei has declared that anyone found illegally celebrating Christmas could face a five year jail sentence, according to reports.

The conservative Muslim country on the island of Borneo stated the punishment would apply to anyone found sending festive greetings – or wearing Santa hats.

Non-Muslims are allowed to celebrate Christmas – but they must do so only within their communities and first alert authorities.

At least 65 per cent of the 420,000-strong population of the oil-rich state are Muslims.
  • Options

IA..I did assume you had a complete set of digits..I do apologise if one or two have gone missing or if you have some extras...never mind..As you have no idea whether I am religious or not (as it happens..I am not then your last comment makes you look even more stupid .. ..

Dodd IS God - God isn't religious AFAIK, God doesn't need to be. But as Dodd IS God, he knows that already...

You don't do self awareness, do you?
  • Options
    As the Sultan owns most of the property along Park Lane and area I wonder how he squares that off this Christmas with all of the parties that will be taking place there
  • Options
    Miss Plato, probably asked for advice from Bute refugee liaison officers first...
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited December 2015
    saddened said:

Not here, no. I like to fit in with those around me ;)

• Options

I can see a powerful series of ads for Leave with the tagline "we can't".

For instance:

If we want to stop prisoners having the vote, we can't.

If we want to take VAT off tampons, we can't.
  • Options

saddened said:

Not here, no. I like to fit in with those around me ;)

And an exceptionally good job you are making g of it.
  • Options
    Mr. Quidder, that could work, and dovetails nicely into "But if we Leave, we can" or similar.

Not one for slogans myself, but they do play a role in how people vote.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited December 2015
    A most interesting article from Her Pollyness (not something you see in the same sentence that often...)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/22/labour-people-optimists-see-no-hope-jeremy-corbyn

There were of course the usual howlers:
    [Cameron's] undebated cut to Short money financing of political parties, which damages Labour most, his high-handed curtailing of trade union funds to the party, and his curbing the Lords’ powers – and this is an anti-democratic coup.
    There is such a delicious irony in a long-time scourge of the anti-democratic nature of the Lords complaining that reforming them in much the way she urged Tony Blair to is an 'anti-democratic coup.'
    These past 100 days of his leadership, I have tried to believe Corbyn can fire up people beyond already left-leaners. The vitriol of the press has been shocking. But it’s been like a child who’s a bit too old still desperately trying to believe in Father Christmas. It strains credulity.”
    A wicked slur. It is far more plausible and far less frightening to believe in a fat bearded bloke coming down chimneys and wandering into small children's bedrooms while they are asleep than to think of a senior member of Islington Labour Party who got two Es at A-level in a high-achieving school and who has spent most of his time since consorting with avowed enemies of the West, our allies and indeed things like 'common sense' and 'reason' becoming Prime Minister.

However, it is intriguing to note her overall conclusion - that Labour is heading for catastrophe. This from a woman who even clung to Gordon Brown for nearly three years when everyone passably sane could see the only question was whether Cameron would beat him by a fair margin or a huge one. Or whose admiration of the work Ed Miliband was doing led her to confidently predict he would see off David Cameron's attacks and be Prime Minister in coalition with the SNP, as his brilliance meant that would not frighten the voters - less than a month before five of his shadow cabinet ministers lost their seats. Is this the moment that the Labour party starts to collapse on itself?

Admittedly, as she is a former Gang of Four follower, she will doubtless be dismissed by the Jezziah's disciples and apologists as a Fascist.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Remember this gem from Argyll and Bute council? The 9yrs old banned from taking pictures of her school dinners for her blog?
    Update, 12 hours later:

So much happened overnight:

Huge amounts of public support, including from Jamie Oliver (who tweeted “Stay strong, Martha!”) and Neil Gaiman.
    214 news articles worldwide in the past 12 hours.
    Another half-million pageviews at the NeverSeconds blog (and almost 1,000 comments on her Goodbye post, up from about 150 when I posted last night).
    The Guardian proposed that people take pictures of their lunches and tweet them #MyLunchforMartha
    http://www.wired.com/2012/06/neverseconds-shut-down/

Miss Plato, probably asked for advice from Bute refugee liaison officers first...

• Options
    Absolutely. Very simple clear messages that resonate with Mr & Mrs Ordinary who have no interest in alphabet soup.

I can see a powerful series of ads for Leave with the tagline "we can't".

For instance:

If we want to stop prisoners having the vote, we can't.

If we want to take VAT off tampons, we can't.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I remember that.

Some people are bloody daft. It's also why surveillance powers should be strictly limited, and not available to any jobsworth who happens to work for the state.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Cyclefree said:

" They seek to rule on matters which are not normally permitted by arbitration tribunals, such as family matters, inheritance, divorce, domestic violence etc."

AIUI, so do the Jewish Beth Din courts. To the extent of women being unable to divorce husbands, and people wanting to convert to Judaism being forced to live in certain areas to do so.

It's fine to say that there should be voluntary tribunals. The problem occurs when societal factors conspire to make them non-voluntary. And I'd argue that'll happen whenever it involves devout people of any religion. When 'religious marriages' become more important in a community than 'civil marriages', and hence divorces as well.

As long as there are religious courts, you will have people using them to gain advantage in a dispute in a manner that would not be allowed in civil courts. As long as parts of the population look to religious courts over civil courts, we will have problems.

And that's the same for Judaism, Islam or any other religion.
  • Options
    I don't know what it is about some clipboard nazis - but they just have no idea when to stop.

Miss Plato, I remember that.

Some people are bloody daft. It's also why surveillance powers should be strictly limited, and not available to any jobsworth who happens to work for the state.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    It's silly to add the EU amongst those issues. It's like adding 'The House of Commons' to the list. No-one would put it at the top, despite it being our legislature. Look at where local government is placed. The main thing to look at is where the issues upon which the EU has a bearing are placed.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

" They seek to rule on matters which are not normally permitted by arbitration tribunals, such as family matters, inheritance, divorce, domestic violence etc."

AIUI, so do the Jewish Beth Din courts. To the extent of women being unable to divorce husbands, and people wanting to convert to Judaism being forced to live in certain areas to do so.

It's fine to say that there should be voluntary tribunals. The problem occurs when societal factors conspire to make them non-voluntary. And I'd argue that'll happen whenever it involves devout people of any religion. When 'religious marriages' become more important in a community than 'civil marriages', and hence divorces as well.

As long as there are religious courts, you will have people using them to gain advantage in a dispute in a manner that would not be allowed in civil courts. As long as parts of the population look to religious courts over civil courts, we will have problems.

It is extremely puzzling to me as a Christian that Islamic and Judaic courts are allowed in this country for such matters when the Christian courts which dealt with similar issues were abolished as long ago as 1857, admittedly at the end of a gradual process that had begun under the Whig governments of the 1830s. If I, as a Christian, have to appeal to the secular law in matrimonial or financial matters, why should they be different?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

However, it is intriguing to note her overall conclusion - that Labour is heading for catastrophe.

I sense a disturbance in the Force...

Polly is more reliably wrong than even Rogerdamus, yet she is predicting bad news for Labour.

Something somewhere is seriously out of whack
  • Options
    Well said.
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

It is extremely puzzling to me as a Christian that Islamic and Judaic courts are allowed in this country for such matters when the Christian courts which dealt with similar issues were abolished as long ago as 1857, admittedly at the end of a gradual process that had begun under the Whig governments of the 1830s. If I, as a Christian, have to appeal to the secular law in matrimonial or financial matters, why should they be different?
  • Options

It's silly to add the EU amongst those issues. It's like adding 'The House of Commons' to the list. No-one would put it at the top, despite it being our legislature. Look at where local government is placed. The main thing to look at is where the issues upon which the EU has a bearing are placed.

I don't know, EU doesn't just mean the European parliament, it means our membership of the EU. We aren't about to have a referendum on the status of the House of Commons are we?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Plato..I have run ins with them all the time..there has been a massive growth industry within the TV business..we have to fill out forms called Risk Assessment t forms..just a ruse to shift responsibly from the production company to HODs..I usually write.. Film Sets are dangerous places.. take care..wear shoes.They also seem to think that wearing fluorescent jackets will make you immune from injury if you step out into a busy road..
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

And the Catholic tribunals.
  • Options

Labour is not a singular moral project. It is just a political party born of sectional vested interests we call trade unions. It is not made up exclusively of heroes. It is run by the public sector upper-middle class for a working class that it increasingly struggles to understand. And it has no special claim on the truth, just impulses that veer from the noble to the myopic.

Once the party gets over itself and accepts the Conservatives on the same footing, it might start to drain the culture of moral presumption that gives rise to abusive letters and threats of deselection from hysterical activists. Until then it will continue to fry in the fat of its own sanctimony, and deserve to.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f4cf301c-a7ce-11e5-9700-2b669a5aeb83.html#ixzz3v2KQ52YJ
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

ydoethur said:

However, it is intriguing to note her overall conclusion - that Labour is heading for catastrophe.

I sense a disturbance in the Force...

Polly is more reliably wrong than even Rogerdamus, yet she is predicting bad news for Labour.

Something somewhere is seriously out of whack
    I find your lack of faith disturbing, Scott P :smiley:

More seriously, while it is possible that Toynbee is as usual completely wrong, it is in this case more probable that Corbyn is such a disaster that even a severely retarded baboon with a visual impairment would be able to see it. The point is that to get her to break her record of tribal loyalty of around 25 years, things must be getting bad. Look at the last line, where she begs the Labour party to concentrate their fire on the Tories and not each other. It smacks of desperation - a frantic attack on the unpleasant symptom while ignoring the lethal cause.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Outrageous attack by Tory mouthpiece @pollytoynbee on The Great Leader. Why doesn't she just sod off, etc... https://t.co/tEzRfxcIp2
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    edited December 2015
    RobD said:

I don't know, EU doesn't just mean the European parliament, it means our membership of the EU. We aren't about to have a referendum on the status of the House of Commons are we?
    But we elect a new one every five years. One is politics, the others are the effect on the public of politics. Obvouly the latter are going to be bigger issues.
  • Options
    Yowzer! A giant pin pricks that bubble.
    Scott_P said:

Labour is not a singular moral project. It is just a political party born of sectional vested interests we call trade unions. It is not made up exclusively of heroes. It is run by the public sector upper-middle class for a working class that it increasingly struggles to understand. And it has no special claim on the truth, just impulses that veer from the noble to the myopic.

Once the party gets over itself and accepts the Conservatives on the same footing, it might start to drain the culture of moral presumption that gives rise to abusive letters and threats of deselection from hysterical activists. Until then it will continue to fry in the fat of its own sanctimony, and deserve to.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f4cf301c-a7ce-11e5-9700-2b669a5aeb83.html#ixzz3v2KQ52YJ

• Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

AIUI, they can't rule on divorce, custody or financial matters - only on whether divorcees can remarry and remain within the Catholic church. Since nobody is forced to be a Catholic that is not nearly so serious a business as the ones we're discussing regarding Sharia.

The Church of England has courts as well, but they are effectively a disciplinary organisation for the clergy and senior officials for religious misdemeanours, e.g. a married clergyman running off with a parishioner.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Also worth pointing out 12 weeks ago @pollytoynbee was attacking anyone who wouldn't back Corbyn. But hey, we're all on a journey here...
  • Options
    @LabourEoin: Retweet if you would like Labour MPs to stop using Tory Newspapers to attack fellow Labour members....

@Maomentum_: Absolutely, Twitter is the correct medium for attacking fellow Labour members. https://t.co/oSN3vtWVKY
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Goodness I swear I've seen this thread somewhere before
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    edited December 2015
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I've never had the information to do a full evaluation, but are there not statutes of limitations in the vast majority of European countries on this type of allegation?

I think of the False Memory problems, the Satanic Abuse claims only 20 years ago, and the Cleveland cases where two Medical Consultant making wrong diagnoses caused 100+ children to be taken from their families. And I shudder.

Taking a child from its innocent parents is as much an act of child abuse as if they had actually done something.

Our authorities have spent the last 20 years creating structures to give "victims" revenge against their "abusers". Impact statements, right to review decisions, right to appeal sentences, an effective duty for the police to believe - there's no end to it. I think a cultural problem has been created.

ISTM That the place to start is with a statute of limitations to lay down a rule about the reliability of evidence 20, 30 or 40 years later.
  • Options
    Thanks for the FT article, @Scott_P. Their coverage this year has been top-class, hasn't it? There was also a wonderful article on the implications of Corbyn's election that has stuck in my mind throughout all the long agonizing weeks of the Christmas term.

I must admit though that I thought this line in the second paragraph encapsulated Labour's year absolutely brilliantly:
    For many of them, the worst trauma of 2015 — a year that could not have been more harrowing had they piled into Volkswagen stock over the summer — was the challenge to that sense of moral supremacy by forces to their left.
  • Options
    Oh, I liked the "now they know what it's like to be a Tory" observation.
    ydoethur said:

Thanks for the FT article, @Scott_P. Their coverage this year has been top-class, hasn't it? There was also a wonderful article on the implications of Corbyn's election that has stuck in my mind throughout all the long agonizing weeks of the Christmas term.

I must admit though that I thought this line in the second paragraph encapsulated Labour's year absolutely brilliantly:

For many of them, the worst trauma of 2015 — a year that could not have been more harrowing had they piled into Volkswagen stock over the summer — was the challenge to that sense of moral supremacy by forces to their left.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    edited December 2015
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AIUI, they can't rule on divorce, custody or financial matters - only on whether divorcees can remarry and remain within the Catholic church. Since nobody is forced to be a Catholic that is not nearly so serious a business as the ones we're discussing regarding Sharia.

The Church of England has courts as well, but they are effectively a disciplinary organisation for the clergy and senior officials for religious misdemeanours, e.g. a married clergyman running off with a parishioner.
    Indeed, but the Church of England is part of the State, and the General Synod is a chamber of Parliament in that it creates legislation which passes into law - though I'm not sure of the precise terms of the definition.
  • Options
    Speaking of stupidity and clipboards - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4646950.ece Blind 7yrs old banned from using her white stick in case classmates trip over it. And now she's been bullied so much - her parents have taken her out of school.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that's an unbelievable decision. Must be bloody awful for the poor girl, and stressful for her parents too.
  • Options
    One would think the other kids could use their eyes instead - theirs work.

Miss Plato, that's an unbelievable decision. Must be bloody awful for the poor girl, and stressful for her parents too.

This discussion has been closed.