Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While latest polling might not be good for Corbyn it also r

13»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

Frontier Economics, the company chaired by Lord O’Donnell, has been tasked with examining whether the perk – under which any household with an occupant aged over 75 can avoid the £145.50 fee – should be tightened. One option under consideration is restricting the benefit to households that are solely comprised of pensioners.

The BBC is considering mounting a marketing campaign to encourage the over-75s – who are the biggest consumers of BBC content – to pay voluntarily.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12062658/BBC-considering-closing-loophole-that-gives-families-with-elderly-relatives-free-TV-licence.html

Couldn't make it up...BBC going to spend a tonne of money to work out what is blindingly obvious..

The obvious move is to restrict it to households where everyone is over 75, surely.
    Well yes, but instead they are going to spend a load of money to work that one out. And if they had half a brain they would have bought up stuff like this when they agreed to this change with the government.

This decision will be like closing of BBC3....drawn out, needlessly expensive, and ultimately makes the logical and obvious decision.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

Jeremy Corbyn says he would pick Bolivia if he had to live outside Britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12063037/Jeremy-Corbyn-says-he-would-pick-Bolivia-if-he-had-to-live-outside-Britain.html

Off you pop Jezza...

The Bolivian government has admitted violent crime is rising and that the security forces are ill-equipped to deal with it, evidence that the presence of transnational crime and increasing drug trafficking is taking its toll.

Crime rates have risen in recent years, said the minister, and police were understaffed and under equipped.

One of the world's top three cocaine-producing nations, the trafficking of drugs has seen increasing involvement of international criminal actors, particularly Brazil's powerful prison gangs. It is estimated 80 percent of Bolivian cocaine ends up in Brazil, and a significant amount of Peruvian cocaine also travels through the country, with the eastern city of Santa Cruz now a regional hub for drug traffickers. Coca base seizures doubled between 2006 and 2011, while seizures of cocaine hydrochloride more than quadrupled.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/violent-crime-rising-in-bolivia-government

I guess he is a fan of the idea of Bolivia more than any reality
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

I don't think a non-entity will get that far and Paterson is that. From his time as a minister the only thing he's remembered for is saying "The badgers have moved the goalposts." Not every ex-minister is a Heseltine.

If the referendum result is Leave, then the next leader will be someone, with cabinet experience, who has been prominent in the Leave campaign. Paterson would be in a good position. You can get 110.0 on Betfair for him as Next PM. It's a snip.

Of course he has zero chance if the result is Remain.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

Frontier Economics, the company chaired by Lord O’Donnell, has been tasked with examining whether the perk – under which any household with an occupant aged over 75 can avoid the £145.50 fee – should be tightened. One option under consideration is restricting the benefit to households that are solely comprised of pensioners.

The BBC is considering mounting a marketing campaign to encourage the over-75s – who are the biggest consumers of BBC content – to pay voluntarily.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12062658/BBC-considering-closing-loophole-that-gives-families-with-elderly-relatives-free-TV-licence.html

Couldn't make it up...BBC going to spend a tonne of money to work out what is blindingly obvious..

The obvious move is to restrict it to households where everyone is over 75, surely.
    Well yes, but instead they are going to spend a load of money to work that one out.
    Oh, sorry. I'm being slow.
  • Options

'You can't have your cake and eat it', Mary Beard tells Rhodes scholar who led campaign to remove statue

I have no time for Mary Beard as a historian, but she hits the nail with that comment.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

Wanderer said:

People have not thought of him.
    A whole range of events could intervene.
    These events could help or hinder just about everyone connected with any leadership ambitions.
    Many many people have only the sketchiest knowledge of political personalities.
    So the public have a fixed, unshakeable view of Corbyn after 3 months which no intervening events could alter, yet they don't have a fixed, unshakeable view of Osborne after 5 years?
    Who mentioned an opinion of Corbyn?
    He is actually leader of his part anyway. Would you have predicted that 4 years ago.
    The public's opinion of Corbyn as leader is not yet formed and who knows what it will be in 4 years. I mean who thought he would quote a brutal Albanian dictator or encourage Gorgeous George back to the party?
    Osborne may not be leader, but if not who? The fact remains that judging a decision in 4 years on opinions now is silly. There is a fact however. It is that people are reinventing their same old mistakes as before and letting prejudices overtake rationality. Far too many have learned nothing from 2015 and the 5 years before that.
    Hmm. But the public's view of Brown and Miliband after they had been in post six months was pretty much how it stayed? I thought there was pretty good evidence that the public's view tends to solidify after a few months and is hard to shift after that.

And, sure, things *could* change, but we have to bet (or not) on the information we have now.
    The public's opinion of Brown may have firmed up after the great crash I suppose.
    It seems to me people are betting on the basis of the regular unflattering photos chosen by OGH. This at least puts him into the good company of most Fleet Street editors who want to form an opinion of their subject.
    I would not bet based on current prejudices. However (as I think I pointed out at the time) the opportunity to get good odds was before the 2015 election when the polls were dithering, because if the Tories won then the man who would have 'wot won it' would have been Osborne.
    Well, I actually quite like Osborne but I don't want to let that positive prejudice affect my bank balance ;)
    Indeed, but it still leaves someone of substance to emerge as the second candidate to be selected by the CPP on the assumption that the First Secretary of State chooses to stand.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

'You can't have your cake and eat it', Mary Beard tells Rhodes scholar who led campaign to remove statue

She should have told him that he was doing the same thing as IS. What has happened has happened and an intelligent person learns from the past not seeks to erase it. People who do that are barbarians. His call, of course, as to how he wants to be thought of.

Students can be idiots but the college needs to grow a pair, frankly.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12063037/Jeremy-Corbyn-says-he-would-pick-Bolivia-if-he-had-to-live-outside-Britain.html

Off you pop Jezza...

The Bolivian government has admitted violent crime is rising and that the security forces are ill-equipped to deal with it, evidence that the presence of transnational crime and increasing drug trafficking is taking its toll.

Crime rates have risen in recent years, said the minister, and police were understaffed and under equipped.

One of the world's top three cocaine-producing nations, the trafficking of drugs has seen increasing involvement of international criminal actors, particularly Brazil's powerful prison gangs. It is estimated 80 percent of Bolivian cocaine ends up in Brazil, and a significant amount of Peruvian cocaine also travels through the country, with the eastern city of Santa Cruz now a regional hub for drug traffickers. Coca base seizures doubled between 2006 and 2011, while seizures of cocaine hydrochloride more than quadrupled.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/violent-crime-rising-in-bolivia-government

It seems like a match made in heaven
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Off you pop Jezza...

Just another straw in the wind of detachment from reality. Bolivia lovely place, tinkle a suicide bomber with a feather duster, etc....
  • Options

I have no time for Mary Beard as a historian, but she hits the nail with that comment.
    Hey now, don't bring Rhodes's money(and thus endowments) into this, it is innocent! It's not his money's fault he was born 150 years ago and had views of a man 150 years ago.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

She should have told him that he was doing the same thing as IS. What has happened has happened and an intelligent person learns from the past not seeks to erase it. People who do that are barbarians.
    Not at all, not at all. If I don't have to think about it, it didn't happen, problem solved.

Maybe I should go back to Uni? It's been less than a decade, so it was probably much the same back then, but I didn't notice and feel I missed out on some great trolling opportunities.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    Rubio drifting out to 3. ...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Not very fast, though. I've been waiting patiently for the opportunity to reverse my position (a lay at 2.79). I'll need to wait a while yet, I think.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

The whole thing with the Oxford statue. If the college had just stood firm and issued a sensible, logical and well thought out response to why it is a bonkers suggestion, all this would have gone away. Students are forever moaning about something or other. Yes it would have got a few articles in the Guardian, but nobody really cares outside of a very small niche.

By basically giving in, they have now madtable.

I posted this on a previous thread bit it seems appropriate here:-

This has come in part from the mistaken belief that being a victim grants you some sort of moral status, some sort of moral halo or special immunity. A victim is just a word to describe a person who has suffered a crime or injury. It has no moral meaning. But somehow we have moved to a position in society where our feelings of compassion for someone who has suffered have resulted in us imbuing the person who has suffered into someone whose status qua victim - and, therefore, his/her views etc - are special, to be given special attention, to be beyond criticism, to be sanctified in some way.

Victims can be bad people; bad people can be and are victims.

Little wonder that people want to be classified as "victims" when it grants them this sort of secular holiness and they can make demands, no matter how unreasonable, which people feel unable to refuse because, poor things, it would make them feel even worse.

It's beyond pathetic: why would you want to be a victim, for God's sake? What a pathetic ambition. It's like wanting to be ill, just for the fuss. It's childish and narcissistic. It's what happens when we confuse sentimentality with true compassion, when we confuse self-esteem (the cry of the adolescent) with self-respect (the mark of an adult), when we confuse false sentiment and incontinent emotional outpouring with a proper moral sense of what it means to injure others, the difference between real repentance and remorse and how to cope with life's inevitable injuries and disappointments.

What's more most of the people claiming this are not victims in any sense of the word. They have suffered no injury. But they look for something which will allow them to claim "offence" precisely because no-one will challenge them. And the answer to people claiming "offence" in this way is "Grow up." Or "Oh dear. Never mind. You'll get over It."
    Have you ever considered releasing a book of essays on various philosophical and moral questions? I won't say it would sell well, as I don't think such things ever sell well, but it'd be very readable I suspect.
    Cyclefree's robust, readable style (if not the substance of her opinions, or the quality of her arguments - which are normally of superior intellectual construction) remind me a lot of FleetStreetFox, who does make a living out of her writing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

The whole thing with the Oxford statue. If the college had just stood firm and issued a sensible, logical and well thought out response to why it is a bonkers suggestion, all this would have gone away. Students are forever moaning about something or other. Yes it would have got a few articles in the Guardian, but nobody really cares outside of a very small niche.

I posted this on a previous thread bit it seems appropriate here:-

This has come in part from the mistaken belief that being a victim grants you some sort of moral status, some sort of moral halo or special immunity. A victim is just a word to describe a person who has suffered a crime or injury. It has no moral meaning. But somehow we have moved to a position in society where our feelings of compassion for someone who has suffered have resulted in us imbuing the person who has suffered into someone whose status qua victim - and, therefore, his/her views etc - are special, to be given special attention, to be beyond criticism, to be sanctified in some way.

Victims can be bad people; bad people can be and are victims.

Little wonder that people want to be classified as "victims" when it grants them this sort of secular holiness and they can make demands, no matter how unreasonable, which people feel unable to refuse because, poor things, it would make them feel even worse.

It's beyond pathetic: why would you want to be a victim, for God's sake? What a pathetic ambition. It's like wanting to be ill, just for the fuss. It's childish and narcissistic. It's what happens when we confuse sentimentality with true compassion, when we confuse self-esteem (the cry of the adolescent) with self-respect (the mark of an adult), when we confuse false sentiment and incontinent emotional outpouring with a proper moral sense of what it means to injure others, the difference between real repentance and remorse and how to cope with life's inevitable injuries and disappointments.

What's more most of the people claiming this are not victims in any sense of the word. They have suffered no injury. But they look for something which will allow them to claim "offence" precisely because no-one will challenge them. And the answer to people claiming "offence" in this way is "Grow up." Or "Oh dear. Never mind. You'll get over It."
    Have you ever considered releasing a book of essays on various philosophical and moral questions? I won't say it would sell well, as I don't think such things ever sell well, but it'd be very readable I suspect.
    I'm not sure a nonentity like me would get any sort of publisher. I do give talks on such topics - in a City context - and am looking to expand those and maybe write on the back of that.

But what a lovely thing to say. Thank you!
  • Options

For all that Tim used to cross the line on here (and let's face it, he could be pretty nasty) he's without doubt one of the sharpest posters that PB has ever had, and the site is poorer for his continued absence.

Wrong. Nasty misogynists are unwelcome.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Not very fast, though. I've been waiting patiently for the opportunity to reverse my position (a lay at 2.79). I'll need to wait a while yet, I think.
    You'll be able to green up in spades after New Hampshire Richard :)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428823/marco-rubio-nevada-caucuses-ted-cruz

Rubio has abandoned campaigning in Iowa, N.H. and S.Carolina and he's putting everything he has to try to win Nevada.
    Smacks of Giuliani in 2008 when he also abandoned the early 3 and the put everything to try and win Florida.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

I don't think a non-entity will get that far and Paterson is that. From his time as a minister the only thing he's remembered for is saying "The badgers have moved the goalposts." Not every ex-minister is a Heseltine.

If the referendum result is Leave, then the next leader will be someone, with cabinet experience, who has been prominent in the Leave campaign. Paterson would be in a good position. You can get 110.0 on Betfair for him as Next PM. It's a snip.

See what you mean. That is value. Thanks!
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Well yes, but instead they are going to spend a load of money to work that one out. And if they had half a brain they would have bought up stuff like this when they agreed to this change with the government.

This decision will be like closing of BBC3....drawn out, needlessly expensive, and ultimately makes the logical and obvious decision.
    Over the years the BBC has made some outstanding (if now often a bit too left leaning) television in spite of not because of its back office and the turds in charge.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    Or watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid too often. Nah, scrub that.
    kle4 said:

Off you pop Jezza...

• Options

Wanderer said:

I hope your boots are not too big.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428823/marco-rubio-nevada-caucuses-ted-cruz

Rubio has abandoned campaigning in Iowa, N.H. and S.Carolina and he's putting everything he has to try to win Nevada.
    Smacks of Giuliani in 2008 when he also abandoned the early 3 and the put everything to try and win Florida.
    In any case as Trump has a huge hotel in Vegas he has Nevada pretty much locked up
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

She should have told him that he was doing the same thing as IS. What has happened has happened and an intelligent person learns from the past not seeks to erase it. People who do that are barbarians. His call, of course, as to how he wants to be thought of.

Students can be idiots but the college needs to grow a pair, frankly.
    Is that available on the NHS?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Hopefully this will see a few dictators swinging from lamposts when the money runs out.
    chestnut said:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

Bizarre if true. Nevada has 6 electoral votes out of 538 and is typical of nowhere much. It's as though Cameron had decided to focus his campaign effort on Cornwall, provoked by rumours of Labour's great ground game there :). I wondcer if it's not merely that the journalist had a story about Nevada and decided to up its salience. Or is there independent confirmation that Rubio has given up on IA/NH/SC?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2015

Pulpstar said:

Bush's price is odd. It doesn't seem to be linked to his polls, his debate performance or anything.

The only justification for that price would be the certainty that he (his supporters & donors) are in it until the end, an assumption that polls at this stage don't matter much at all - and a very optimistic view of the power of the GOP establishment to get its candidate.

He's like a big goldfish flipping around in half an inch of water.

Betting against him @ 1/10 is a very decent bet.

1/25 would still be generous, IMO.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

In any case as Trump has a huge hotel in Vegas he has Nevada pretty much locked up
    True, but also because of this:

Favourables/Unfavourables among hispanics:

Rubio 11 /53 -42
    Trump 24/ 59 -35

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_122115.pdf

Yet another poll with Trump more popular with hispanics than Rubio who is hispanic, tells you a lot about Rubio's chances.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Hopefully this will see a few dictators swinging from lamposts when the money runs out.

chestnut said:
    What is the reverse concept of a bubble when prices are chased too far down? For oil it just has to be something more dramatic than oversold. What would happen if OPEC turned off the taps? Just asking.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree's robust, readable style (if not the substance of her opinions, or the quality of her arguments - which are normally of superior intellectual construction) remind me a lot of FleetStreetFox, who does make a living out of her writing.
    Goodness. I've never heard of her. Will look her up. Writing and talking help me work things out in my own mind, as well as - and this is in some cases the most valuable aspect - the feedback: what works, what doesn't, what resonates and with which audience.

I'd like to be read and listened to, to make someone think or see something in a different way, to paint pictures with words, to tell stories - we are hard-wired to respond to stories - and, certainly, to the banking audiences to say stuff that needs saying in a down to earth way.

"Refreshing" has been the word most often used. Not sure how much of a compliment it is. It's probably code for "My God! I can't believe she just said that!" But, hey, if it makes people notice, who cares.

Lawyers are often bloody awful speakers. Odd that. Too cautious, maybe. There has to be some element of danger and surprise, a fear that it could all go wrong, with the performer falling off the tightrope. It's why some great actors are just the right side of being great hams.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

If true, and combined with Graham's withdrawal today, maybe this is the beginning of the winnowing out we're all waiting for.
  • Options

Rubio has abandoned campaigning in Iowa, N.H. and S.Carolina

Oh wow
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

Rubio 11 /53 -42
    Trump 24/ 59 -35

Yet another poll with Trump more popular with hispanics than Rubio who is hispanic, tells you a lot about Rubio's chances.
    Trump actually has higher unfavourables with Hispanics in that poll
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

Bizarre if true. Nevada has 6 electoral votes out of 538 and is typical of nowhere much. It's as though Cameron had decided to focus his campaign effort on Cornwall, provoked by rumours of Labour's great ground game there :). I wondcer if it's not merely that the journalist had a story about Nevada and decided to up its salience. Or is there independent confirmation that Rubio has given up on IA/NH/SC?
    Well it's obvious from other articles that there are complaints in Iowa and N.H. of Rubio being mostly absent, articles like this one and others that I previously posted a few days ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/strategic-or-overconfident-rubio-plays-hard-to-get-with-voters/2015/12/20/60b8a3e8-a5a0-11e5-9c4e-be37f66848bb_story.html

" Marco ­Rubio no doubt wants to sit behind the big desk in the Oval Office. What is not so clear is how hard he is willing to work to get there.

Republican activists — including many who appreciate Rubio’s formidable political gifts and view him as the party’s best hope for beating Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton — say they are alarmed at his seeming disdain for the day-to-day grind of retail politics. Even some staunch supporters are anxious.

“Rubio has not put in the face time that he really needs to have, I don’t think,” said Al Phillips, an influential South Carolina pastor who backs Rubio. “I think that’s been somewhat to his detriment.” "

So if he's not in Iowa, not in N.H. and not in S.Carolina or in Congress, where is he campaigning ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    Rubio's campaign strategy is nonsensical.

Things continue to shape up for Chris Christie to be the leading Establishment pick following a solid showing in New Hampshire.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

The primaries, not the general. He's trying to stay relevant by winning one primary. (Good luck with that.)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Rubio's campaign strategy is nonsensical.

Things continue to shape up for Chris Christie to be the leading Establishment pick following a solid showing in New Hampshire.

He's the one establishment candidate I've not got the red ink on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

Rubio 11 /53 -42
    Trump 24/ 59 -35

Again, Rubio net -42, Trump net -35 with Hispanics.
    Rubio has only 11% , I'll repeat that 11% favourables among hispanics while Trump has more than double that at 24%.

And Rubio is hispanic, while Trump has said a lot of non-complimentary things about mexicans, but they still prefer Trump over Rubio, that's some accomplishment for Rubio.
  • Options
    This is a classic from Cruz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hB3iOQKjY
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

@Dair Every time you say the word "loyalist" I always get a mental image of an Orange Order parade :o

They are British Nationalists as well, all Loyalists marching to the same drum.

I don't pretend that it is an unintended consequence of using the term.
    Since an antonym of 'loyalist' is 'traitor', I suppose you don't mind being referred to as a traitor? And as the majority of Scotland voted 'No', you are a traitor against Scotland.

Obviously you won't object to being referred to in such a manner, as you are perfectly willing to use such loaded terminology the other way.

So traitor, how are you today?
    Well said.
    “The difference between treason and patriotism is only a matter of dates.”

― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    AndyJS said:

chestnut said:
    If they do, it will be using IS's piano wire....
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

Well it's obvious from other articles that there are complaints in Iowa and N.H. of Rubio being mostly absent, articles like this one and others that I previously posted a few days ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/strategic-or-overconfident-rubio-plays-hard-to-get-with-voters/2015/12/20/60b8a3e8-a5a0-11e5-9c4e-be37f66848bb_story.html

" Marco ­Rubio no doubt wants to sit behind the big desk in the Oval Office. What is not so clear is how hard he is willing to work to get there.

Republican activists — including many who appreciate Rubio’s formidable political gifts and view him as the party’s best hope for beating Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton — say they are alarmed at his seeming disdain for the day-to-day grind of retail politics. Even some staunch supporters are anxious.

“Rubio has not put in the face time that he really needs to have, I don’t think,” said Al Phillips, an influential South Carolina pastor who backs Rubio. “I think that’s been somewhat to his detriment.” "

So if he's not in Iowa, not in N.H. and not in S.Carolina or in Congress, where is he campaigning ?
    Bolivia? ;)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

Rubio 11 /53 -42
    Trump 24/ 59 -35

Rubio has only 11% , I'll repeat that 11% favourables among hispanics while Trump has more than double that at 24%.

And Rubio is hispanic, while Trump has said a lot of non-complimentary things about mexicans, but they still prefer Trump over Rubio, that's some accomplishment for Rubio.
    Trump has 59% unfavourables with Hispanics on those numbers, Rubio 53%, not great for Rubio and there is clearly little enthusiasm amongst Hispanics for him but Trump is clearly disliked more
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    The Yanks do this because it cuts through there. How long before it cuts through here or does it already?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I'll raise it with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Th70moeuc

Goodnight, and Merry Christmas and if I'm too busy during these next 2 weeks.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    On topic;

"If 38% of Con voters can't answer a question like that in Osborne's favour he's fucked."

Succinct & spot on.

• Options
    Pong said:

On topic;

"If 38% of Con voters can't answer a question like that in Osborne's favour he's fucked."

Succinct & spot on.

Are there comparative figures for other contenders?

• Options
    Classic Sun front page.
  • Options
    Rubio was asked today for comments on Lindsey Graham's withdrawal - in New Hampshire
  • Options
    Pong said:

On topic;

Succinct & spot on.

Yet as long as he leads Corbyn he remains frontrunner
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @CycleFree

"... Lawyers are often bloody awful speakers... "

Possibly because they want to be precise, to leave no room for their listeners to misunderstand, to block off the counter argument before it has been made. Lawyers frequently talk in digital language rather than the language of the senses (most bad speakers do) and don't use metaphor (probably they don't want to risk the listener getting hold of the wrong end of the stick).

When I was training I used stories extensively but I never explained them - the people I was training would take the meaning for themselves without my help. I think the best session I ever delivered (and that judgement is based on feedback) was just before I retired in which I did pretty much nothing but tell stories. To the delegates it might well have looked as though I had wandered in and spent an afternoon swinging the lamp and having a jolly time, but the each story I told and, more or less, the order I told them in was rather carefully planned.

PowerPoint is of course the invention of Satan and there is a special circle of Hell reserved for those bloody fools who put up a powerpoint slide and then read it to their audience.

• Options

@CycleFree
    PowerPoint is of course the invention of Satan and there is a special circle of Hell reserved for those bloody fools who put up a powerpoint slide and then read it to their audience.

Even worse, those who put up a Powerpoint slide and then read - verbatim - from a typed script on paper.

I use it for bullet points and then extemporize.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Rubio was asked today for comments on Lindsey Graham's withdrawal - in New Hampshire

Is there any significance we need to attach to this - apologies but I don't quite get the point you're making, if any :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Is there any significance we need to attach to this - apologies but I don't quite get the point you're making, if any :)
    The article down thread that says he's apparently giving up on IA, NH and SC to concentrate on NV. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

@CycleFree

Even worse, those who put up a Powerpoint slide and then read - verbatim - from a typed script on paper.

My last posting in a salaried job was as head of training and the over reliance on, and misuse of, PowerPoint by my staff drove me nuts. I had to institute a programme training of the trainers (all of whom had some so-called professional qualification in the art of training) and, full respect to you, the bullet point slide was high on my target list of things to be if not banned then at least strictly rationed.

If anyone is reading this who is the business of giving presentations then I urge them, from the bottom of my heart, to read a book. It is called "PresentationZen" by a chap called Garr Reynolds (ISBN 978-0-321-52565-9), it is the best instruction manual on PowerPoint that you will ever find. Read it, follow it and your audiences will thank you.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    Tim_B said:

@CycleFree

I've just done a lecture where I put up a Powerpoint presentation, spoke to some slides but left some to be read. Someone then translated the ones I spoke to into Thai, using their Thai notes of what I'd said.

Trust!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    That Cruz video would only work as a satire in Britain - a bit of me feels we're too cynical, but isn't it misusing kids to put them on a PPB with an obviously rehearsed line sabout email servers?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

@CycleFree

I've just done a lecture where I put up a Powerpoint presentation, spoke to some slides but left some to be read. Someone then translated the ones I spoke to into Thai, using their Thai notes of what I'd said.

Trust!
    Trust indeed, Mr. Cole. I once delivered a lecture through an interpreter who, unbeknown to me, had his own agenda. It was not a great success. Fortunately about 40% of the audience, including the key opinion formers, had enough English to understand what I actually said.
  • Options

That Cruz video would only work as a satire in Britain - a bit of me feels we're too cynical, but isn't it misusing kids to put them on a PPB with an obviously rehearsed line sabout email servers?

I didn't know whether it was real or not until he said he approves it at the end. Are they his own kids, or some actors?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

@CycleFree

My last posting in a salaried job was as head of training and the over reliance on, and misuse of, PowerPoint by my staff drove me nuts. I had to institute a programme training of the trainers (all of whom had some so-called professional qualification in the art of training) and, full respect to you, the bullet point slide was high on my target list of things to be if not banned then at least strictly rationed.

If anyone is reading this who is the business of giving presentations then I urge them, from the bottom of my heart, to read a book. It is called "PresentationZen" by a chap called Garr Reynolds (ISBN 978-0-321-52565-9), it is the best instruction manual on PowerPoint that you will ever find. Read it, follow it and your audiences will thank you.
    I have never done training, nor am I in the business of giving presentations: it's just something every manager has to do - most of my PP presentations have been for sales, marketing, technical issues, customer feedback or quarterly corporate updates. I'm an I.T.man and most of my pitches have been to people who either know or work for me, and they appreciate the bullet points as they can make notes on the printed copy they have.

My pitches are to a carefully targeted audience. So my point will say "Q3 service revenue up 10% over q3 last year", and then I will go into details. I like graphs and eye candy too. Got to keep it interesting and keep it moving, keep them awake.

But yes, there is much misuse of PP. I'm sure I've contributed my share ;)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,902
    edited December 2015

Maybe. But political manipulation of children is, of course, everywhere in this country.

Did you mean saltire, not satire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetvDbl4Xfs

Disgusting content warning on this one by the 10:10 Green Campaigners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Mw5_EBk0g

For more dodgy political stuff you need to look at eg charity adverts on minor TV channels.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

There is no tradition of political TV ads in the UK - you have those dreadful PPBs. Here we are deluged with them every 2 years, worse in POTUS years.

The classic example - Michael Dukakis' campaign was badly injured by three things - him driving the tank, which made him look ludicrous, the Willie Horton revolving door ad, and the Republican commercial saying that Dukakis was a 'card carrying member of the ACLU." It killed him.

POlitical commercials tend to shade the truth, and appeal on many different levels.

Reagan's used to talk about a bear in the woods - everyone knew it was the Soviet Union without being told.

This is still the classic from 1964. Only shown once, it is still talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    People used to joke about selling fresh air...

Beijing residents buy fresh air from Canada. US$22.95 for a 10-litre bottle .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35155357
  • Options

10 litres i.e. enough for about 5 breaths? that seems pretty expensive
  • Options

10 litres i.e. enough for about 5 breaths? that seems pretty expensive
    Canadians have big breaths.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Jeremy Corbyn is hugely popular. Why are people even trying to deny it any more?"

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/12/20/jeremy-corbyn-is-hugely-popular-why-are-people-even-trying-to-deny-it-any-more/
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

"Jeremy Corbyn is hugely popular. Why are people even trying to deny it any more?"

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/12/20/jeremy-corbyn-is-hugely-popular-why-are-people-even-trying-to-deny-it-any-more/

"despite knowing that these polls are engineered to support the views of their funders" - I am sure YouGov and alike will have something to say about that...

But but but but all my mates like him, they all want a selfie...and with that last bit I think we have found the issue.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Could be this story:

Rubio 11 /53 -42
    Trump 24/ 59 -35

Trump has 59% unfavourables with Hispanics on those numbers, Rubio 53%, not great for Rubio and there is clearly little enthusiasm amongst Hispanics for him but Trump is clearly disliked more
    And, bizarrely, Trump is also liked more at the same time. Hence the conventional use of "Net".
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sangin has been overrun by the Taliban.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sangin has been overrun by the Taliban.

Sad, but at some point the afghans need to be able to stand up to them. If they till have trouble after all this time, then what a waste over the last decade and a half.
  • Options

@CycleFree

"... Lawyers are often bloody awful speakers... "

Possibly because they want to be precise, to leave no room for their listeners to misunderstand, to block off the counter argument before it has been made. Lawyers frequently talk in digital language rather than the language of the senses (most bad speakers do) and don't use metaphor (probably they don't want to risk the listener getting hold of the wrong end of the stick).

When I was training I used stories extensively but I never explained them - the people I was training would take the meaning for themselves without my help. I think the best session I ever delivered (and that judgement is based on feedback) was just before I retired in which I did pretty much nothing but tell stories. To the delegates it might well have looked as though I had wandered in and spent an afternoon swinging the lamp and having a jolly time, but the each story I told and, more or less, the order I told them in was rather carefully planned.

I quite agree. To communicate well you need to have something to say, something you want to say and you need to do it in an expressive, authentic and memorable way. I use stories all the time. Metaphors and pictures through words are the best - English is a gloriously muscular and vivid language - and humour, if you're good at it, can be very effective. And, above all, speak in ordinary language that your audience can understand.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

@CycleFree

I only ever put up trigger words. If the audience is looking at the screen rather than you, you've lost them. Never read a script. Work out what I want to say in my head, extemporize and react to and try and read the audience. A talk is two-way. You need to pay attention to how the audience is reacting at least as much as to what you are saying.

A talk is a performance. It is not - as it too often is - someone standing up and reading something out.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

@CycleFree

I only ever put up trigger words. If the audience is looking at the screen rather than you, you've lost them. Never read a script. Work out what I want to say in my head, extemporize and react to and try and read the audience. A talk is two-way. You need to pay attention to how the audience is reacting at least as much as to what you are saying.

A talk is a performance. It is not - as it too often is - someone standing up and reading something out.
    Prezi is great for talking on the fly and reading the audience. I use it for some of my teaching of medical students. If they look blank then can go into greater depth by drilling down. Powerpoint is quite restrictive to a linear format, while Prezi adapts in a non-linear and hyperlinked way. The novelty of not using powerpoint helps too.

This discussion has been closed.