Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EU Referendum: Douglas Carswell’s absolutely right abou

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EU Referendum: Douglas Carswell’s absolutely right about this ad even if it was meant to be joke

When I tweeted the above ad from Leave.EU UKIP’s MP, Douglas Carswell, was one of the first to respond. His annoyance was correct. This is a serious campaign with so much at stake and the argument should be based on facts not made up statements like in the ad even if it was meant to be a joke.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First .... again!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    It's a pity they didn't go further. The truth is that if the UK votes to stay in the EU, then the day after the referendum the EU will bomb the whole world with thousands of nuclear weapons and kill all major life-forms. Why isn't the media covering this?

First!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

First .... again!

You weren't first. I was. The EU dictators must have hacked and infiltrated my message to slow it down.
  • Options
    That picture seems like a parody of anti EU supporters I'd expect to see from the likes of the Daily Mash. Not something I'd imagine a credible force in politics would actually put out.

The leave side needs to wake up to fact they need a majority of votes cast to win. You do not win a majority by making yourself look like an absurd parody.
  • Options
    FPT

Mr Pethers, however, said he was upset by the fact that several people stood by and recorded the incident on their phones, rather than help. ‘The worst part about it was me and the bloke with the rucksack, we were basically baying for his attention so he would not go for anyone else and there were other adult men standing there, just filming it on their phones.

‘There were so many opportunities where someone could have grabbed him. One guy came up to me afterwards and said “well done, I want to shake your hand, you are the only one who did anything, I got the whole thing on film”.

‘I was so angry, I nearly turned on him but I walked away. I thought “Are you crazy? You are standing there filming and did nothing”. I was really angry afterwards. I had to go for a walk for about two hours to calm down.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3348612/How-fought-tube-knifeman-Hero-s-fury-ghouls-stood-filming.html

Tw@t filming...I think I would have definitely punched him if he said that.

If something is filmed that can be used as evidence in a trial. Somebody stopping to film may not be as helpful as stopping to help directly but it's more helpful than someone ducking their heads and running away. If I had my wits about me and didn't feel safe to assist I might take a video if I felt safe to do that.

Of course if that video footage is uploaded to social media or sold to the regular media rather than going direct to the authorities that is bad.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Carswell hits the nail on the head - If you want to be taken seriously, then start behaving seriously. Stuff like this should be left to the idiots in the bloggersphere, not on official websites of either team.
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited December 2015
    Stopping dumb internet memes about the EU? Sadly that ship sailed a long time ago.

I'd also like to think I'd tried to stop some knife-wielding maniac in the tube but no. (Not unless children or someone vulnerable were directly at risk.) God all gave us feet. Running is what they're there for.
  • Options
    It's an old joke. I remember it from the last Euro-referendum in (I think) 1975.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Greetings from a hot but cloudy Singapore! Lots of festive decorations out here, they must be in preparation for the great AV thread :D

First .... again!

I even change to a more advantageous time zone and you still win. :(
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    RobD said:

Greetings from a hot but cloudy Singapore! Lots of festive decorations out here, they must be in preparation for the great AV thread :D

First .... again!

I even change to a more advantageous time zone and you still win. :(
    It must be like being Chelsea.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    They need to learn a new word from Citizens Corbyn and MaoDonnell: self-trivialise.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I'm not sure how the process works but shortly a group will be given some sort of official status as the LEAVE organisation. I've worked with Vote Leave, they are very professional and organised with first class literature.

Incidentally, is there any sort of IN campaign and if so who is heading it?
  • Options
    [OT] good intentions and unintended consequences

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35008128

Doctors who prescribe fewer antibiotics get lower patient satisfaction ratings and therefore less money.

Tbh, I am surprised patient satisfaction ratings are a factor in remuneration levels as we already know from the US they correlate negatively with clinical outcomes. Is it true?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Meh.

Remain is value at 1/2. It would probably value at 1/3, too.

Do any other punters take a view?
  • Options

Doctors who prescribe fewer antibiotics get lower patient satisfaction ratings and therefore less money.

Tbh, I am surprised patient satisfaction ratings are a factor in remuneration levels as we already know from the US they correlate negatively with clinical outcomes. Is it true?

Dunno, but seems likely: telling people to stop smoking and/or drinking is hardly likely to please them, is it?

• Options

I'm not sure how the process works but shortly a group will be given some sort of official status as the LEAVE organisation. I've worked with Vote Leave, they are very professional and organised with first class literature.

Yes, BSE. http://www.strongerin.co.uk
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    What a great descriptor!
    MattW said:

They need to learn a new word from Citizens Corbyn and MaoDonnell: self-trivialise.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

I looked at that and instantly thought there needs to be a placebo pill that can be prescribed for when you know antibiotics won't work..
  • Options

"vote leave, lose control"

That's quite a powerful angle to take.

I wonder if anyone has focus grouped the messaging, or if this is just brainstorming by will straw at this point?
  • Options

Thanks for that, any idea who funds it?

• Options
    Pong said:

"vote leave, lose control"

That's quite a powerful angle to take.

I wonder if anyone has focus grouped the messaging, or if this is just brainstorming by will straw at this point?
    Lose control of what is the obvious question. It's a poorly thought out, negative message, the reason people want to leave is because we've lost control.

It seems to be the consensus that undecided Tories will be the biggest factor, when people like Dan Hannan get more airtime I'm confident how they'll vote.

• Options

Hey Blackburn,

Did you get my vanilla message re; our OW&S bet settlement on fri?
  • Options
    btw I've just had a look at young Straw's wiki page, he is the epitome of a careerist politician, his profile sums up what is wrong with politics in this country. PPE at Oxford, son of an MP, never had a job, spad to Brown, need I go on...........no doubt if we stay he'll have lined himself up a cushy job in Brussels.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Hey Blackburn,

Yes I replied to your email did you receive it?

• Options

Pong said:

Hey Blackburn,

No, not yet. Did you send it through politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com messaging system?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Meh.

It's not value at present. Too many things can happen before the vote.
  • Options
    I showed this ad to my other half. He looked at me bewildered.

I suspect that most people will neither get the joke or anything else out of this ad other than the inference that its creators are a bit strange. The Leave campaign need to make contact with people who aren't true believers - ie most of the electorate.
  • Options
    Its deeply silly and smacks of unprofessionalism.....

......are UKIP involved?

Meanwhile, in the latest SNP Scandal Non-Story

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/772672/former-oil-worker-turned-politician-accused-of-tax-avoidance/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/snp-back-mp-who-admitted-6966451

So 'zero tolerance' doesn't apply to SNP MPs.....
  • Options

Pong said:

Meh.

Just because things can happen doesn't mean they will. I think Leave should be about the same odds as Liverpool winning the league this season. Possible yes but not very likely.
  • Options

I suspect that most people will neither get the joke or anything else out of this ad other than the inference that its creators are a bit strange. The Leave campaign need to make contact with people who aren't true believers - ie most of the electorate.

You assume they want to win the vote. I suspect most hard-line Leavers would quite like to lose narrowly and so not have to take responsibility for the consequences.

• Options

You assume they want to win the vote. I suspect most hard-line Leavers would quite like to lose narrowly and so not have to take responsibility for the consequences.

Behaviour like this versus "jobs are at risk"* won't leave the vote narrow at all.

* Whether this claim is true or not is redundant. People are risk-averse so need a reason to jump
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

......are UKIP involved?

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/772672/former-oil-worker-turned-politician-accused-of-tax-avoidance/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/snp-back-mp-who-admitted-6966451

You know they have feet of clay, we know that. Why do you bother with this? Who are you trying to convince? You're no better than the true believers with your tedious sniping. All it leads to is people behaving like arses.
  • Options
    Carswell really is good value, why did he ever defect to UKIP?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332

......are UKIP involved?

By the by that Daily Record Article reads like it has been written by and edited by 6 year olds. Bits of it make no sense at all and it is incredibly repetitive.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Hey Blackburn,

No, not yet. Did you send it through politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com messaging system?
    Not sure what vanilla forms is tbh I got an email on my iPhone and replied on Friday

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I thought the advert looked like something an activist knocked out to use on Twitter for an hour or two and tweet to each other.
    It's inside-side joke stuff that I didn't get - I'm assuming the guy in the Santa hat is some hated Eurocrat?
  • Options

Pong said:

Meh.

Just because things can happen doesn't mean they will. I think Leave should be about the same odds as Liverpool winning the league this season. Possible yes but not very likely.
    Seeing as Liverpool are around 12/1 are you willing to lay me that price we leave the EU?

• Options
    Most of the EU loons on both sides of the argument have so little connection with the majority of the public that they are going to find communication difficult and this will not be the only example. EU phobes see the EU as this overweening monster interfering in almost every aspect of our lives and seeking to control us. EU fanatics see the EU as the future and the source of our wealth and prosperity, totally essential if we are not going to suffer a serious shortage of caves for our troglodyte existence.

I suspect the majority of the public are barely aware the EU even exists and don't think about it from one year's end to the next. The side that appreciates that best and reflects it in their communications has the better chance of winning.
  • Options

I thought the advert looked like something an activist knocked out to use on Twitter for an hour or two and tweet to each other.
    It's inside-side joke stuff that I didn't get - I'm assuming the guy in the Santa hat is some hated Eurocrat?

Its Jean-CLAUDE Junker. Oh spare my aching sides.
  • Options
    The blue and yellow might date it to the period of the last, coalition government, so perhaps it was an old inside joke inadvisedly recycled. (My initial response on the last thread was that it was so bad it had to be a spoof, but apparently not.)

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

I agree with Mr. Smithson's piece, but would add something. If the jest, such as it is, were witty, it might be a different kettle of fish. But because it's humourless then people will either think it's rubbish (because it's less amusing than a Christmas cracker joke), or think it's rubbish (because they believe Leave EU are actually being serious, and are, therefore, morons).

Carswell's right.
  • Options
    That still took me another 30secs to get the wordplay. They're rolling in the aisles here, errr...
    DavidL said:

Its Jean-CLAUDE Junker. Oh spare my aching sides.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    I don't think this compares in silliness with the '3 million jobs to be lost if Britain leaves the EU' claim the 'In' side have been making myself.
  • Options
    Surely blue and yellow are the EU colours. I'd never associate it with the Coalition in a million NORAD Santa trips

The blue and yellow might date it to the period of the last, coalition government, so perhaps it was an old inside joke inadvisedly recycled. (My initial response on the last thread was that it was so bad it had to be a spoof, but apparently not.)

• Options
    One of the many curiosities of the EU debate is how incredibly parochial it is. I was listening to Ian Duncan MEP on Saturday who said that almost no one in Brussels was even thinking about a Brexit or the terms of any UK renegotiation. They are absolutely focussed on the migration crisis and the continuing travails of the EZ.

Overnight we have had the FN win the largest share of the vote in France with 30.8%. A FN win at the next Presidential elections (admittedly a bit off) would make our debates irrelevant. There would not be an EU in its current form for us to decide whether we wanted to be a part of or not.
  • Options

Pong said:

Pong said:

Hey Blackburn,

Not sure what vanilla forms is tbh I got an email on my iPhone and replied on Friday

Ahh right, ok. Seems the vanilla messages get bounced to emails, but the replies don't get bounced back. Frustrating.

I've sent you another message anyway.

Cheers
  • Options
    To be fair, it is parochial because it's our issue - I'm sure other EU members have their own versions that we're totally unaware of, and would care less.

Also, we're not being overrun with migrants or terrorists. I thought the faux anger from Kippers re the delay on a new deal was so one-eyed. Not like the French/Belgians have something else on their minds right now.
    DavidL said:

One of the many curiosities of the EU debate is how incredibly parochial it is. I was listening to Ian Duncan MEP on Saturday who said that almost no one in Brussels was even thinking about a Brexit or the terms of any UK renegotiation. They are absolutely focussed on the migration crisis and the continuing travails of the EZ.

Overnight we have had the FN win the largest share of the vote in France with 30.8%. A FN win at the next Presidential elections (admittedly a bit off) would make our debates irrelevant. There would not be an EU in its current form for us to decide whether we wanted to be a part of or not.

• Options
    A report on the Lords Spiritual fails to understand we have an established Church:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35022517

"Giving major national and civil events, including coronation ceremonies, more "pluralist character""

The monarch is supreme governor (or governess) of the Church of England. Not Catholicism, not Islam, not Judaism and not the Pastafarian followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. This isn't a complicated point.

"The number of Church of England bishops who sit as peers in the House of Lords should be cut to make way for leaders of other faiths, a new report argues."

There are a few things wrong with this. First off, the Anglican Church is established. That's why it has its current position. Secondly, if they wish to reflect society, how can you have religious leaders but not those representing agnosis/atheism? If you do want such representatives, how can they be fairly selected? I'm an atheist, but not a member of the National Secular Society or any humanist movement. There is no comparable leader for me, or for most other atheists, who don't join such groups.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I rolled my eyes at this. Given the monarch as you note is the Head of our established church, of course the next coronation is going to be an Anglican service held in the biggest Anglican church we have.

I know all lobby groups are a bit OTT in their demands - but this one struck me as very stupid.

A report on the Lords Spiritual fails to understand we have an established Church:

"Giving major national and civil events, including coronation ceremonies, more "pluralist character""

The monarch is supreme governor (or governess) of the Church of England. Not Catholicism, not Islam, not Judaism and not the Pastafarian followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. This isn't a complicated point.

"The number of Church of England bishops who sit as peers in the House of Lords should be cut to make way for leaders of other faiths, a new report argues."

There are a few things wrong with this. First off, the Anglican Church is established. That's why it has its current position. Secondly, if they wish to reflect society, how can you have religious leaders but not those representing agnosis/atheism? If you do want such representatives, how can they be fairly selected? I'm an atheist, but not a member of the National Secular Society or any humanist movement. There is no comparable leader for me, or for most other atheists, who don't join such groups.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Venezuela election: Maduro's Socialists trounced https://t.co/DY6ppO3KME
    Chavez Socialism ' Among campaign issues - chronic food shortages
    The opposition alliance, made up of centrist and conservative parties, is confident of ultimately taking at least 112 seats after 16 years of socialist control.
    According to senior figures in the alliance, that would allow them to pass laws allowing the release of political prisoners and to reverse, for example, appointments to senior legal positions made by the current government, says the BBC's Wyre Davies, in Caracas.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2015

I rolled my eyes at this. Given the monarch as you note is the Head of our established church, of course the next coronation is going to be an Anglican service held in the biggest Anglican church we have.

I know all lobby groups are a bit OTT in their demands - but this one struck me as very stupid.

Some might argue with that point of view.. The churches that have the kind of services that I would abhor, high church or happy clappy or any variant of that idea do much better(so I am told) in attendance terms than traditional book of Common Prayer churches that I like so much. (I do believe(at least I have been told) that there is a swing back to traditional services .
    Each to his or her own though, but the Church of England does not speak for the UK as a whole.. even though it tries to make out that it does, nor in fact for the Anglican church worldwide as there is so much discord..

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

I can't anything more ghastly than a "multi-faith" coronation service (with perhaps a role for Richard Dawkins or Stephen Fry to represent the atheists).
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Antidisestablishmentarianism is, literally, dying out. Religious figures in the lords are relics of a bygone age.
  • Options

Blame Prince Charles. He doesn't want to be Fidei Defensor, but Defender of Faiths.

Personally we should abolish all clergy from the House of Lords. We're one of only two countries in the world that has unelected clergy sitting in our legislatures. The other is Iran.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, the worst part is that Charles apparently wants more 'inclusion', or some such idiocy. I believe he wants to be Defender of Faith* - a meaningless title that at the same time manages to both abandon the concept of defending the Church he'll be supreme governor of whilst also singling out non-theists for non-inclusion.

Daft sod.

We must hope the Archsocialist at least has his head screwed on right on this issue.

*Defender of the Faith [ie the Anglican Church] is the correct title.
  • Options
    On topic, I think this is the epitome of David Cameron's maxim about Twitter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Sean_F said:

I can't anything more ghastly than a "multi-faith" coronation service (with perhaps a role for Richard Dawkins or Stephen Fry to represent the atheists).
    It would more than likely be my old classmate, Andrew Copson.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Antidisestablishmentarianism is, literally, dying out. Religious figures in the lords are relics of a bygone age.
    Still a great word though.
  • Options

Blame Prince Charles. He doesn't want to be Fidei Defensor, but Defender of Faiths.

Personally we should abolish all clergy from the House of Lords. We're one of only two countries in the world that has unelected clergy sitting in our legislatures. The other is Iran.
    The Vatican?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'd be wary of tugging the thread of disestablishmentarianism without thinking through all the implications very carefully indeed.

Just axing the bishops, as it were, smacks of Blair trying to axe the Lord Chancellorship.

Mr. F, it does sound a bit like Chris Martin being an 'alltheist' [apparently he believes everything].
  • Options

Well most of the people raising funds and getting involved with the campaign seem to be senior Tories who are pretending to do it independently of the Tory party.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited December 2015

Miss Plato, the worst part is that Charles apparently wants more 'inclusion', or some such idiocy. I believe he wants to be Defender of Faith* - a meaningless title that at the same time manages to both abandon the concept of defending the Church he'll be supreme governor of whilst also singling out non-theists for non-inclusion.

Daft sod.

We must hope the Archsocialist at least has his head screwed on right on this issue.

*Defender of the Faith [ie the Anglican Church] is the correct title.

Actually the original title of Fidei Defensor was conferred by the Pope on Henry VIII for being Defender of the Catholic Church.

Oh the irony.

The title was revoked when he formed the Anglican Church and he got Parliament to award him the title again, some say only the Pope can give out the title and only to Catholics.
  • Options

The Vatican?
    I meant real countries.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, given our monarchs have used it for five centuries, I think that disproves the papal propaganda.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, given our monarchs have used it for five centuries, I think that disproves the papal propaganda.

I take the view the Anglican Church wouldn't even exist if Henry VIII had managed to find a decent divorce lawyer.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, religions have been started for worse reasons.
  • Options

As I said yesterday it needs to be Vote Leave who head this campaign. The Leave.EU campaign are too closely associated with UKIP.
  • Options
    And Shami there too - urgh.
    Sean_F said:

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited December 2015

Christianity, one woman's excuse about adultery that got way out of hand.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Extremely silly advert.

Nearly as silly as if in 1975, they'd put out an advert suggesting that the Common Market intended to become some sort of political union.

Ho-ho-ho-ho-ho.

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    I take the view the Anglican Church wouldn't even exist if Henry VIII had managed to find a decent divorce lawyer

No doubt there wouldn't have been the Reformation either.
  • Options
    :lol:

That's just SO perfectly luvvie.

Mr. Eagles, I'd be wary of tugging the thread of disestablishmentarianism without thinking through all the implications very carefully indeed.

Just axing the bishops, as it were, smacks of Blair trying to axe the Lord Chancellorship.

Mr. F, it does sound a bit like Chris Martin being an 'alltheist' [apparently he believes everything].

• Options

Sean_F said:

I'd rather we became a Republic than witness such a travesty.
  • Options
    :smiley:

This is beginning to remind me of the National Lottery adverts... Don't Let It Be Them.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I'd rather we became a Republic than witness such a travesty.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DavidL said:

Pong said:

Still a great word though.
    lol, yeah.

I guess I'm a postantidisestablishmentarianist.

Anyone want to argue with me, just to make a new word?
  • Options
    I disagree with that, Mr. Pong. I am a contrapostantidisestablishmentarianist.
  • Options

I take the view the Anglican Church wouldn't even exist if Henry VIII had managed to find a decent divorce lawyer.
    The break with Rome could have been avoided by legitimising Henry Fitzroy.
  • Options
    matt said:

......are UKIP involved?

All it leads to is people behaving like arses.
    Thank you for the demonstration.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,023

Pong said:

Meh.

Agreed.
    Who knows what will happen between now and the vote.
    Sell the favourite.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

......are UKIP involved?

By the by that Daily Record Article reads like it has been written by and edited by 6 year olds. Bits of it make no sense at all and it is incredibly repetitive.
    I doubt the writer is to blame - but the website administrator hit cmd v (or ctrl p) a couple of times too many.......
  • Options
    Mr Wifflestick,

I think I'm with you on that - sort of - but this view is fairly new to me. I think that makes me a quasineoprotocontrapostantidisestablismentarianist. ;-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,849
    Patrick said:

Mr Wifflestick,

I think I'm with you on that - sort of - but this view is fairly new to me. I think that makes me a quasineoprotocontrapostantidisestablismentarianist. ;-)

I think we have a winner.
  • Options

As I said yesterday it needs to be Vote Leave who head this campaign. The Leave.EU campaign are too closely associated with UKIP.
    I agree entirely, I'm just not sure how the process works.

Bernard Jenkin, Conservative MP has said that Cameron's negotiations are lame and trivial.

• Options
    There is potentially a parallel between Henry VIII's time and ours. The English no doubt thought they had a strong negotiating position given the upheavals through the Catholic Church at the time. But it transpired that Rome was preoccupied with much narrower politics and as a result a split that suited neither side came to pass.
  • Options

Christianity, one woman's excuse about adultery that got way out of hand.
    Except "the modern scholarly consensus is that the doctrine of the virgin birth rests on a very slim historical foundation." (biblical scholar F. Dale Bruner).
    Accounts were written 100 years after the event.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

The Vatican?
    I meant real countries.
    You think the UK is a real country? Don't tell Dair! ;)

I agree with the points Morris_Dancer made, the reason they are there is because we have an established church. The same reason that the coronation involves a protestant ceremony. Not sure I'd like to see it changed (although would be open to the idea of the leader of every major religion in the UK being an ex officio member of the Lords).
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I agree with Mr. Smithson's piece, but would add something. If the jest, such as it is, were witty, it might be a different kettle of fish. But because it's humourless then people will either think it's rubbish (because it's less amusing than a Christmas cracker joke), or think it's rubbish (because they believe Leave EU are actually being serious, and are, therefore, morons).

Carswell's right.

As are you.... it is indeed a very thin ill thought out joke. And equally as you imply it shows very dim thinking and a paucity of logic on the LeaveEU side. There are arguments to be made about the EU. If this is an example of them then we are in for a very miserable 18 months.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2015
    Pong said:

Meh.

I'd agree with that though I'm not tempted yet. We don't know the date yet nor who will be allowed to vote.
  • Options

There is potentially a parallel between Henry VIII's time and ours. The English no doubt thought they had a strong negotiating position given the upheavals through the Catholic Church at the time. But it transpired that Rome was preoccupied with much narrower politics and as a result a split that suited neither side came to pass.

This would not have stopped 'Papal Bulls' and Martin Luther and 'protestantism'.
  • Options

Pong said:

Meh.

I'd agree with that though I'm not tempted yet. We don't know the date yet nor who will be allowed to vote.
    Well quite, betting odds on at this stage would seem silly to me
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not sure IDS is correct. I was in Brussels last week talking to Commission and European parliament people - albeit it at a relatively low level - and all of them mentioned the referendum. They were worried about it, but thought that there would be a Remain vote. I got the strong impression that the UK government has been briefing pretty extensively on this and has been doing a lot of reassuring.

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Indeed. Though one difference is that England at the time was relatively poor and had a small population so it really counted for little in anyone's counsels.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

DavidL said:

Not sure IDS is correct. I was in Brussels last week talking to Commission and European parliament people - albeit it at a relatively low level - and all of them mentioned the referendum. They were worried about it, but thought that there would be a Remain vote. I got the strong impression that the UK government has been briefing pretty extensively on this and has been doing a lot of reassuring.

Pedant alert: I don't think Ian Duncan = IDS (Iain)
  • Options

We should abolish the HoL anyway. As we have moved away from the hereditary lords then it follows the bishops should go as well.
    Freedom of religion is enshrined in law anyway no matter what the coronation oath says. Arguing over this archaic point seems a waste of time to me.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Are Ladbrokes still doing their next shad cabinet resignation book? I can't seem to find it. Given the weekend papers, it might be time to have a look at it.
  • Options

Carswell really is good value, why did he ever defect to UKIP?

He talked himself into it. Which shows how silly he his.
  • Options
    Nigel Farage has been accused of being behind a “blatant Ukip front operation” to ensure that a group of alleged party sympathisers secure official designation as the main no campaigners in the EU referendum.......

.... “Banks and Farage want to capture official designation of the no campaign, taking the air time and money that goes with it. The donors and senior staff at the Banks campaign are all from Ukip while the director of communications has already said Farage is the right person to lead the no campaign. It’s pretty obvious what they are trying to do, it’s a blatant Ukip front operation that won’t fool the Electoral Commission or attract support from across the political spectrum.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/30/nigel-farage-accused-of-launching-ukip-front-operation-to-run-eu-no-campaign
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TheScotsman: Key Forth Road Bridge work ‘cancelled 5 years ago’, says engineer https://t.co/tJ115Qf55G https://t.co/jhXW3IzG3P

@graeme_from_IT: "Wow, check the size of that tailback on the #KincardineBridge! So glad of ma wee chopper" #ForthRoadBridgeClosure https://t.co/bZBljTPP3y
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Bernard Jenkin, Conservative MP has said that Cameron's negotiations are lame and trivial.

Oh, the shock, surprise and dismay. Next you'll be quoting Bill Cash.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

Pong said:

Meh.

The old "time value of money" thing working against taking the 1-2 right now.
This discussion has been closed.