Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two Lib Dem defences and one SNP one in tonight’s local by-

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited November 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two Lib Dem defences and one SNP one in tonight’s local by-elections

Huntly, Strathbogie and the Howe of Alford on Aberdeenshire (SNP and Lib Dem defence)
Result of council at last election (2012): Scottish National Party 28, Conservatives 14, Liberal Democrats 12, Independents 11, Labour 2, Green Party 1 (No Overall Control, SNP short by 7)
Result of ward at last election (2012) :

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    First!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Thanks Harry!
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Breitbart has an exclusive interview with Jeb Bush. Here is his take on Brexit:
    Great Britain is a sovereign nation, and they must make this decision about their relationship with Europe on their own. The U.S. should not be putting a thumb on the scale and certainly shouldn’t bully an ally. That said, as President, if Great Britain made that decision of course the U.S. would work with them on a trade agreement.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/05/exclusive-jeb-bush-interview-with-breitbart-news-budget-deals-mean-more-spending-usa-needs-a-strong-europe/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited November 2015
    Huntly, Strathbogie and the Howe of Alford? What a great name. Bless you, Harry, and the local elections.

LD wins all round to be the most interesting. Sounds crazy with the Scottish ones, but that previous win was a shock, so who knows.

I actually quite like the idea of former MPs re-treading into local councils.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    I'm not a very active poster, Harry, but I would like to say how very much I appreciate the huge amount of effort you put into doing these thread headers every week. It's amazing, and thank you.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I'm not a very active poster, Harry, but I would like to say how very much I appreciate the huge amount of effort you put into doing these thread headers every week. It's amazing, and thank you.

Seconded. Thanks for the thread Harry.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2015
    kle4 said:

Huntly, Strathbogie and the Howe of Alford? What a great name. Bless you, Harry, and the local elections.

Great aren’t they. – I often google the most intriguing names to discover their origins, be they Roman, Anglo Saxon, Dane etc – Did you know there’s a Shire of Strathbogie in Australia?

[edit] - Many thanks Harry for you weekly sterling efforts.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Again the description of by-elections in STV multi-member wards is utterly broken. Aird and Loch Ness was not an "SNP defeat" it was a redistribution of Independent votes which favoured the Lib Dems.

The SNP will win both these wards, the Liberals will be eliminated.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LD wins all round to be the most interesting. Sounds crazy with the Scottish ones, but that previous win was a shock, so who knows.

It was not a shock. Effectively the SNP went into an AV contest with 28% of the first preference vote. How surprising they didn't win
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

It was not a shock. Effectively the SNP went into an AV contest with 28% of the first preference vote. How surprising they didn't win
    You do realise how badly your phrasing comes across, don't you? At best it makes you sound like a know-it-all
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

You do realise how badly you're phrasing comes across, don't you? At best it makes you sound like a know-it-all
    How else do you expect it to be phrased? It was not an "SNP Defence", that description is not accurate for a by-election under AV from a multi-member STV constituency.

Accuracy and clarity are not traits to be avoided or ones to be ashamed of.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

You do realise how badly you're phrasing comes across, don't you? At best it makes you sound like a know-it-all
    How else do you expect it to be phrased? It was not an "SNP Defence", that description is not accurate for a by-election under AV from a multi-member STV constituency.

You're doing it again. There are ways of correcting people politely. Accuracy and clarity are important, but so is courtesy.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

If the SNP won the STV seat with AV and then lost the same STV seat with AV to another party it's called a defeat, since it's the reverse of victory.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

If the SNP won the STV seat with AV and then lost the same STV seat with AV to another party it's called a defeat, since it's the reverse of victory.
    They never won Aird and Loch Ness with AV, they won one of four seats in an STV election with 4 members elected.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

You're doing it again. There are ways of correcting people politely. Accuracy and clarity are important, but so is courtesy.
    It has been pointed out time and time again that the way this site (and others and the press) describe AV by-elections from STV constituencies is wrong. It is not discourteous to continually correct this. The article is WRONG. I'm not swearing, I'm not angry, I'm simply correcting a repeated error.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    I have to say Dair has a point. It's disappointing to see the problems with interpreting by-elections in multimember wards in Scottish local government emerging yet again.

In this case, however, not only was the Conservative the leader the last time (so it 'should' be a C and Unionist win) but we only have one rather than two SNP candidates. How one can compare that with the original multimember election is an interesting question.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2015
    Yay!!!

Only the Lilywhites can win here...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

LD wins all round to be the most interesting. Sounds crazy with the Scottils.

It was just an expression, not a criticism of the SNP for failing to win that contest, no-one can win everything.

The shock, for me, is that under any system the LDs kept any vote in Scotland to be able to win a seat, even if it was retention, or perfectly viable, as considering how LD prospects in Scotland for the LDs are frequently described, that they had enough supporters to sign the nomination papers for a candidate or fill a list or whatever would be a shock. You seem inordinately angry(and do not deny again that you are angry - people do not react with such persistent, unceasing passion about a goddamn local election if they are not angry) about that particular election, seeing a conspiracy against the mighty SNP and Scotland in how it is reported, and I knew that you, you specifically, would leap upon any errant phrasing, so considered how I should word it and if I should take another pass at it, but in the end I just couldn't summon up the energy to care about such a technical matter of no consequence, and figured your over the top rage on the subject would keep the thread on topic to the locals for a bit, so being more careful in my own phrasing was unnecessary.

I'm going to bed now to avoid an even more pointless argument, but for the love of god, no-one was putting down the SNP or Scotland, which is self evidently your concern because you seem worried that people are saying, gasp, the SNP did not win something, and so are seizing upon an argument that, in this instance, was not even being made. For me, the LDs winning anything in Scotland is a shock, it isn't a put down to the SNP (again, this is clearly your concern because you worry that it is being reported they lost something they perhaps should have won) because I don't care about that, wasn't making that argument, just noting that the LDs did win a seat. Doesn't matter if it was retention, or from anyone, that they won, given their circumstances, is a personal shock to me, not an analytical shock based upon indepth understanding of voting systems, just a semi-serious 'wow, I thought there were no LDs left in Scotland to be elected, let alone people to vote for one'. Not every turn of phrase needs to be analysed and critiqued for ill motivation.

Gods, you must go crazy when people describe slight wins as landslides, or claim this government has a good majority. You should try to get less worked up by inelegant phrasing sometimes.
  • Options
    Jon Warner ‏@JonathanRWarner 54s54 seconds ago
    So Jim McMahon is the new candidate for #OldhamWest. Couldn't have picked a better choice to champion our labour values!! (@CllrJimMcMahon)

So Labour hold Oldham West.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Speedy said:

So Jim McMahon is the new candidate for #OldhamWest. Couldn't have picked a better choice to champion our labour values!! (@CllrJimMcMahon)

Let's wait until the votes are counted.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited November 2015
    Speedy said:

They jolly well should do, going into the election with a 15000 majority, more than half the vote last time, with the Lib Dems nowhere and the Tories in government.

Has any opposition party *ever* lost a seat where they started in a more commanding position?

Edit - yes. Glasgow Govan, 1988, for one.

Let me rephrase the question: Has any opposition party *ever* lost a by-election in England where they started in a more commanding position?

Edit (2) - yes. Bermondsey, 1983.

OK. I'll give up now.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

No need, he's the popular leader of Oldham council.
    The only problem is that he is an enemy of Corbyn and a right winger in a very left wing constituency, so there might be leakage to the Greens.
  • Options
    Seems as predicted masked anti capitalist (i.e. Corbyn supporters) descended to riot and violence in London.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

Are you trying to avoid saying that the SNP lost?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

The only problem is that he is an enemy of Corbyn and a right winger in a very left wing constituency, so there might be leakage to the Greens.
    He's a bit on the young side, and one reason Ed wasn't credible in May was because older voters saw him as an overgrown sixth-former.
  • Options
    So the 9000 pound cap on university fees is to be abolished.

P.S. I don't believe the bomb story since there is no evidence from the wreckage itself of an explosion so far and the Russians, which would profit the most from the bomb story, deny it.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

He's a bit on the young side, and one reason Ed wasn't credible in May was because older voters saw him as an overgrown sixth-former.
    True, but people hold prospective prime ministers to different standards than MPs.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

I have the same opinion of Cameron, but I don't vote Tory for many more reasons that just that.
    Same for the old people who voted 50% Tory.
  • Options

Seems as predicted masked anti capitalist (i.e. Corbyn supporters) descended to riot and violence in London.

The left like their political violence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Speedy said:

The Tory candidate apparently is a Better Off Out man, so it looks like neither Cameron nor Corbyn have a candidate to their tastes!
    http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2015/11/cllr-james-daly-selected-to-fight-the-oldham-west-and-royton-by-election.html
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015

The left like their political violence.
    For many Lefties, it's their idea of democracy.

Scumbags were on the rampage outside my office earlier. A few Tiggys and Jaspers crying their eyes out in Saville Row nick tonight. Shame.
  • Options
    I never realised Justine Greening had so many moles....

#immature
  • Options

Speedy said:

They jolly well should do, going into the election with a 15000 majority, more than half the vote last time, with the Lib Dems nowhere and the Tories in government.

Has any opposition party *ever* lost a seat where they started in a more commanding position?

Let me rephrase the question: Has any opposition party *ever* lost a by-election in England where they started in a more commanding position?

OK. I'll give up now.
    Bermondsey of course lost by a left-wing candidate even within the Labour Party... they seem to avoided that this time
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

The Tory candidate apparently is a Better Off Out man, so it looks like neither Cameron nor Corbyn have a candidate to their tastes!
    http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2015/11/cllr-james-daly-selected-to-fight-the-oldham-west-and-royton-by-election.html
    The only difference is that Corbyn has lost an ally and gained yet another enemy in the PLP, the Tories never had a chance in Oldham anyway.

Corbyn couldn't have avoided McMahon anyway since he is the local council leader and the new post GE members are not members for long enough (6 months) to vote for the selection, if Meacher had died a month or two later then Corbyn would had a chance of installing an ally in the seat.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Whining doctor on Question Time. 'Me Me Me'. All praise the NHS religion.
  • Options

Speedy said:

OK. I'll give up now.
    Bermondsey of course lost by a left-wing candidate even within the Labour Party... they seem to avoided that this time
    Peter Tatchell had called for an armed revolution, so of course he was ditched by everyone inside Labour, and of course he was gay at a time and place where that was socially not acceptable.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

The only difference is that Corbyn has lost an ally and gained yet another enemy in the PLP, the Tories never had a chance in Oldham anyway.

Corbyn couldn't have avoided McMahon anyway since he is the local council leader and the new post GE members are not members for long enough (6 months) to vote for the selection, if Meacher had died a month or two later then Corbyn would had a chance of installing an ally in the seat.
    Indeed and at least Corbynistas can blame the candidate if Labour get a poor result I suppose
  • Options
    God I love Victoria Coren.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

P.S. I don't believe the bomb story since there is no evidence from the wreckage itself of an explosion so far and the Russians, which would profit the most from the bomb story, deny it.
    There has been a picture of a 'shrapnel' puncture from the inside out. But otherwise yes, there seems no published evidence either way.
    Egyptian airport security versus Russian plane maintenance. Its a tough call. I'm dubious about the bomb, but I don't think I would be that dubious if I was a prime minister.
    I think politically the Russians are desperate to avoid a bomb story. Crap Russian airlines are always factored in.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    They are a bit late with that revelation. It was posted on here 24 hours ago that the UK had access to signals intelligence that suggested a 3rd party actor was involved.

As it it the take isn't definitive alone but appears reasonable on the credibility scale
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

God I love Victoria Coren.

David Mitchell has already bagged her
  • Options
    Chukka is growing on me.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

OK. I'll give up now.
    Peter Tatchell had called for an armed revolution, so of course he was ditched by everyone inside Labour, and of course he was gay at a time and place where that was socially not acceptable.
    Being gay was socially tolerable; it was being so in-your-face about it that put Tatchell outside polite society (well, not just that but it would have been enough by itself).
  • Options

Chukka is growing on me.

Still Labour's next PM in my view, though now in 2025 not 2020 as I thought in the summer
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    watford30 said:

Doctors are clearly much more selfish than Tory politicians, Discuss
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Chukka is growing on me.

Sounds reasonable doesn't he? Of course he's in Labour Siberia as a consequence.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

OK. I'll give up now.
    Being gay was socially tolerable; it was being so in-your-face about it that put Tatchell outside polite society (well, not just that but it would have been enough by itself).
    I remember the Bermondsy by election. I was not there on the doorstep but remember the objection being more to Tatchells far left views than his homosexuality.
  • Options

watford30 said:

Tory politicians get a better nights sleep and weekends off!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

watford30 said:

Yes. I'm sure many are when there's an axe to grind. They're humans, not sacred untouchables who can do no wrong.

I know they say that no members of the public will suffer, but how many extra patients would you expect to die as a result of any strike action?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The Doctors will scweam and scweam and scweeeeeeeeeeeeeam !
  • Options

watford30 said:

Indeed!!

Who is doing most damage to NHS patients. Hardworking Doctors or Tory policies - Discuss

• Options

Speedy said:

There has been a picture of a 'shrapnel' puncture from the inside out. But otherwise yes, there seems no published evidence either way.
    Egyptian airport security versus Russian plane maintenance. Its a tough call. I'm dubious about the bomb, but I don't think I would be that dubious if I was a prime minister.
    I think politically the Russians are desperate to avoid a bomb story. Crap Russian airlines are always factored in.
    A bomb is by far the most likely cause to my thinking. It just seems an improbable time for an aeroplane to fail catastrophically: not on take-off or while climbing steeply, when the stresses are greatest, but at cruising altitude. It's one thing for a technical fault to force it down but quite another to simply break up in the air. Add to that the motive and opportunity that some IS sympathiser would have and the secondary effects on Egypt's western/Russian-based tourism and you have a strong and consistent hypothesis.
  • Options
    Chukka agrees with rent controls apparently
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

Yes. I'm sure many are when there's an axe to grind. They're humans, not sacred untouchables who can do no wrong.

I know they say that no members of the public will suffer, but how many extra patients would you expect to die as a result of any strike action?
    The easiest way to make sure that no patient suffers is to strike while they're not at work.

The whole point of a strike is to make life difficult for the employer and, consequently, for the customer / end-user. Patients will suffer. Were that not the case the obvious conclusion would have to be that the NHS wouldn't notice if they were all let go.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Chukka is growing on me.

Sounds reasonable doesn't he? Of course he's in Labour Siberia as a consequence.
    Do reasonable people call Londoners trash?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    watford30 said:

Loving the PB idea that Daniel Hannan should lead the BOO campaign, by the way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mostly they will vote with their feet. We have 50% vacancies in the East Midlands GP training scheme, and similar in specialities like Emergency Medicine.

Its called market forces. You would have thought Tories would understand that! If you want people to work unsocial hours then you have to pay a premium rate.
  • Options
    Bombing for peace is like shagging for virginity. Hitchens has been proved right time and time and time again on this.
  • Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

The easiest way to make sure that no patient suffers is to strike while they're not at work.

The whole point of a strike is to make life difficult for the employer and, consequently, for the customer / end-user. Patients will suffer. Were that not the case the obvious conclusion would have to be that the NHS wouldn't notice if they were all let go.
    The point of a strike is to convince your employer to concede points, not to make life difficult for an employer. Evidently, the ability to muster public opinion one way or another matters more than the profit motive when the government is employer.
  • Options
    I have been agreeing with Peter Hitchens far too much tonight.
  • Options
    I'm behind so apologies on this - Syria is way too complicated now. There is NO case for wading in with yet more missiles.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

welshowl said:

Chukka is growing on me.

Do reasonable people call Londoners trash?
    We all want politicians who talk and act like normal people, except of course if they are non-Conservative politicians in which case they must be held to the moral standards of Nelson Mandela or preferably Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Hitchens seems to have won QT according to Twitter... Quite a feat w Jones, Umunna and Coren on the panel
  • Options
    isam said:

Hitchens seems to have won QT according to Twitter... Quite a feat w Jones, Umunna and Coren on the panel

He seems to have become an out-and-out lefty. Strange.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Me too. Frightening isn't it
  • Options
    EPG said:

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

The point of a strike is to convince your employer to concede points, not to make life difficult for an employer. Evidently, the ability to muster public opinion one way or another matters more than the profit motive when the government is employer.
    Undermining targets by a work to rule is an easy place to start. Not doing extra-contractual work thereby pushing up agency locum bills and leaving rota gaps, refusing to code thereby financially stressing the Trust. All of these are fairly easy to do.
  • Options
    Lol If they're in Calais they've arrived in bloody France...
  • Options
    Justine Greening is rather good I think. She sounds reasonable, she doesn't ooze weirdness/cruelty in the way that so many of the Cabinet do (step forward Osborne).
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Danny565 said:

He used to be a Marxist until the age of 30.

Edit: a Trotskyist, not a Marxist.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Justine Greening is rather good I think. She sounds reasonable, she doesn't ooze weirdness/cruelty in the way that so many of the Cabinet do (step forward Osborne).

Bromide!!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

We've been through this before. If junior doctors strike, there will be an impact on patients. My own father died as a consequence of a doctor's strike many years ago.

The counter-argument put forward by Dr Sox is that patients will also suffer if the current grievances aren't resolved.

That may be so but, personally, I dislike the dishonesty of a claim that doctors can go on strike without impacting patients. It's not only not true but if it were true it would render doctors pointless.

Doctors are as capable as any other group of being very hard working and dedicated while also regarding their own interests as paramount and uniquely deserving and rationalising away the harm their strike will cause patients.
  • Options
    I'm no shill for BTL Landlords, but aren't rental yields lower in London than the North ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Did he?

His brother was one of my favorite people, sadly taken early
  • Options
    means doing 3 things - 3 jobs and 3 deceased rich relatives :D
  • Options
    edited November 2015

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Did he?

Oh yes, he was as left-wing as they come. Peter Hitchens still hates the Tories, seeing them as only interested in power for power's sake.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Pulpstar said:

I'm behind so apologies on this - Syria is way too complicated now. There is NO case for wading in with yet more missiles.

Yes - I'm no pacifist but if we can't even work out which side we're on, charging in and killing a few people can't be the sensible or even decent option.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mostly they will vote with their feet. We have 50% vacancies in the East Midlands GP training scheme, and similar in specialities like Emergency Medicine.

Its called market forces. You would have thought Tories would understand that! If you want people to work unsocial hours then you have to pay a premium rate.

If you want pay to be determined by market forces - and I can see why you might when there are such shortages - then you can't have a state owned, state run system.

So which is it you want? A competitive market system where doctors get paid more but you also get payments by patients, insurance, private providers etc? Or a state run system where market forces are replaced by rationing and queuing and doctors' pay gets screwed down?

Seems to me you want the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Did he?

I had the pleasure of chatting with Peter Hitchens on the phone earlier this year and he is a really nice guy. An incredible amount of people on Twitter beating themselves up for agreeing with him tonight... Why?! He speaks sense
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Pulpstar said:

I'm no shill for BTL Landlords, but aren't rental yields lower in London than the North ?

Yes. I believe yields for prime London real estate are virtually non-existent. They are relying on capital appreciation.

Today I was left scratching my head at why anyone would queue up overnight for the chance to buy a £200k studio flat or £315k for a one bed flat in Hounslow. A truly sorry state of affairs.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Did he?

Yes. Christopher Hitchens is one of my favourite writers. A sad loss.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

If you want pay to be determined by market forces - and I can see why you might when there are such shortages - then you can't have a state owned, state run system.

So which is it you want? A competitive market system where doctors get paid more but you also get payments by patients, insurance, private providers etc? Or a state run system where market forces are replaced by rationing and queuing and doctors' pay gets screwed down?

It looks to me that the Tories want market forces only when it suits them.

They could incentivise people to work antisocial hours or they could use the power of being a monopoly employer to coerce people.

They may get their way, but dont expect support with targets etc.
  • Options

watford30 said:

Indeed!!

Who is doing most damage to NHS patients. Hardworking Doctors or Tory policies - Discuss

Doctors.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Did he?

I had the pleasure of chatting with Peter Hitchens on the phone earlier this year and he is a really nice guy. An incredible amount of people on Twitter beating themselves up for agreeing with him tonight... Why?! He speaks sense
    Hah - I've found myself agreeing with Jenny Jones on the police. They've probably been cut a bit far and fast !

Hitchens point about Housing benefit/council house sell off was brilliant btw. Give up capital value for an ongoing expenditure stream - makes sense.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bombing for peace is like shagging for virginity. Hitchens has been proved right time and time and time again on this.

You do not bomb for peace, you bomb to win.
  • Options
    Why didn't Chuka run ! He's doing quite well tbh.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Win what? With whom? Would you like Britain to govern Syria? If not, who would you realistically hope to help gain power by dropping a few bombs?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Win what? With whom? Would you like Britain to govern Syria? If not, who would you realistically hope to help gain power by dropping a few bombs?
    Who did you hope to gain power for by bombing and invading Iraq?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

They could incentivise people to work antisocial hours or they could use the power of being a monopoly employer to coerce people.

True enough. And I'm no great supporter of targets. Measurement is not the same as evaluation.

But it seems to me that doctors want a state run system but then complain when the monopoly employer seeks to coerce them.

So which is more important for doctors: having the state as employer or being paid properly and incentivised as in any market?

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Torbay result LD hold

LD 1096 - 69.2% plus 39.3%
    Con 234 - 14.8% minus 13.7%
    UKIP 158 - 10.0% minus 9.7%
    Lab 53 - 3.3% minus 9.0%
    Green 43 - 2.7% minus 6.8%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Did he?

Hah - I've found myself agreeing with Jenny Jones on the police. They've probably been cut a bit far and fast !
    Opposing bombing Syria and opposing cuts in one night.... we'll make a Corbynista of you yet ;)
  • Options

Torbay result LD hold

Lab 53 - 3.3% minus 9.0%

Is Mr Sanders planning to try to regain Torbay in 2020? Might have a chance on the basis of this.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Who did you hope to gain power for by bombing and invading Iraq?
    Elected democrats - not my business of which particular type. but I hoped clearly better than Saddam. The fact that this turned out to be largely illusory is the main reason why I've been against interventions in Libya (as surely most now agree has been a disaster?) and Syria.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

True enough. And I'm no great supporter of targets. Measurement is not the same as evaluation.

But it seems to me that doctors want a state run system but then complain when the monopoly employer seeks to coerce them.

So which is more important for doctors: having the state as employer or being paid properly and incentivised as in any market?

That is a false choice. They do not want a paycut.

They also are not impressed by a health minister who refuses to negotiate for a year, who refuses to put figures to his proposals then comes out with a proposal the day before the strike ballot and presents it to the media rather than our negotiating representatives. We want everything on the table in the negotiations and a DoH that acts in good faith.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

There is a huge problem for Doctors when they choose to strike.

People. Stop. Dying.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Did he?

Opposing bombing Syria and opposing cuts in one night.... we'll make a Corbynista of you yet ;)
    He was my second pref xD
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Danny565 said:

Torbay result LD hold

Lab 53 - 3.3% minus 9.0%

Is Mr Sanders planning to try to regain Torbay in 2020? Might have a chance on the basis of this.
    More evidence of voters' regret where LDs lost in May.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

There is a huge problem for Doctors when they choose to strike.

People. Stop. Dying.
    homeopathy in action?