Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Exactly ten years ago – the David Cameron David Davis CON l

Comments

• Options
    Miss Plato, sounds nuts.

One shall return to work. I thought it might be something about the potential terrorism in the Sinai peninsula...
  • Options

He's clearly happy about it - and a round of applause from the audience.

watford30 said:

You all really need to put on ITV1 right now.

Blimey. Words fail me.

'Who's a pretty boy then?'
    but would he hear it?
  • Options
    isam said:
    "Halal-only restaurant refused to serve him bacon"

Presumably they didn't have any?

• Options
    can I ask the occupation of Parrotman?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    More to the point, why on earth is the Colonel's face obscured in the photos on the Daily Mail site.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I'm surprised that doesn't put the franchisee in contravention of their licence.

TBH, I'm more bothered about the changes to chicken slaughter that appears to be less concerned with animal cruelty and more to do with religious practices.

Chickens face painful death after slaughter rules change http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article4604119.ece

isam said:

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    edited November 2015

I'm surprised that doesn't put the franchisee in contravention of their licence.

TBH, I'm more bothered about the changes to chicken slaughter that appears to be less concerned with animal cruelty and more to do with religious practices.

Chickens face painful death after slaughter rules change http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article4604119.ece

isam said:

Two nations
  • Options

isam said:

I suppose the Halal stores will have a different franchise agreement.

Yeah, you could indeed be legitamately concerned about the animal welfare aspects of Halal (possibly applies to Kosher as well? although I guess that is on a much smaller scale).

The DM does come up with these shitey stories though. You really wonder how they get in "Dad couldn't get bacon in restaurant that doesn't serve pork..."

There was another one I saw yesterday where the woman had leggings branded "animal" but at the seam at the back it was sewn so that it said "anal" in an unfortunate position. Apparently she was shocked and embarrassed and needed a 10 pound voucher to calm down (not forthcoming). Not so shocked and embarrassed tho that she didn't want it published in a national newspaper.

• Options
    Miss Plato, imposing one's religious beliefs on others (such as the de facto blasphemy law we now have on images of Mohammed) is abhorrent.

The method of slaughter should be included in the packaging of meat.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Two nations
    one Kentucky
  • Options
    edited November 2015

isam said:

Yeah, you could indeed be legitamately concerned about the animal welfare aspects of Halal (possibly applies to Kosher as well? although I guess that is on a much smaller scale).

The DM does come up with these shitey stories though. You really wonder how they get in "Dad couldn't get bacon in restaurant that doesn't serve pork..."

There was another one I saw yesterday where the woman had leggings branded "animal" but at the seam at the back it was sewn so that it said "anal" in an unfortunate position. Apparently she was shocked and embarrassed and needed a 10 pound voucher to calm down (not forthcoming). Not so shocked and embarrassed tho that she didn't want it published in a national newspaper.

The story isn't 'dad couldn't get bacon in restaurant that doesn't serve pork' though... Nice try

The story is 'some restaurants in England are for muslims and some in the same chain are for non muslims'
  • Options
    Back with the Conservative leadership, I thought Philip Hammond was good on the Today programme today discussing the flight ban at Sharm el Sheik. He was calm and unruffled when being interrupted and put under quite a lot of pressure from John Humphries. He is someone to watch. He may not be hugely charasmatic but he has grip!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

The story isn't 'dad couldn't get bacon in restaurant that doesn't serve pork' though'... Nice try though

The story is 'some restaurants in England are for muslims and some in the same chain are for non muslims'
    market forces. where's the problem? He wasn't refused entry was he? (forgive me, I didn't read the whole thing)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    isam said:

isam said:

The story isn't 'dad couldn't get bacon in restaurant that doesn't serve pork' though'... Nice try though

slightly over-dramatic.

Many restaurants tailor their menus to the local demographic or fad or suchlike.

I'm sure if you go to Golders Green you won't find a kosher restaurant there with a stack of bacon sarnies out the back in case a "Dad" wanted one. I'm sure if you went to a southern Indian vegetarian restaurant in London they wouldn't be able to accommodate a "Dad" who wanted a steak sandwich.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

Many restaurants tailor their menus to the local demographic or fad or suchlike.

I'm sure if you go to Golders Green you won't find a kosher restaurant there with a stack of bacon sarnies out the back in case a "Dad" wanted one. I'm sure if you went to a southern Indian vegetarian restaurant in London they wouldn't be able to accommodate a "Dad" who wanted a steak sandwich.
    You can't be missing the point like this can you???
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

The story isn't 'dad couldn't get bacon in restaurant that doesn't serve pork' though... Nice try

I don't think it's a new thing either? sure I've read teh same (more or less) story a couple of years ago?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2015
    It was the choice of David Davis, no-one else, not to be Home Secretary, since he would almost certainly have been appointed to the role had he not done his bizarre resignation stunt, a stunt which made zero sense. I'm not sure that DD is exactly an irritant, more an oddball who has gratuitously thrown away all credibility.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

I'm missing the point you are trying to make.

I'm assuming the area has a strong Muslim demographic and KFC caters to that.

Why is the point about Golders Green so different? Shall we send an intrepid Daily Mail reporter there to see how many bacon sandwiches he comes back with?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    isam said:

isam said:

Balls. No one is prevented from eating in the Halal one. It's hardly the Deep South.
  • Options
    It is my considered view that the post defeat actions of David Davis show Tory voters avoided avoided choosing a loser.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited November 2015
    TOPPING said:

slightly over-dramatic.

Yes, seems a bit silly. I once found a scrawny-looking stray cat looking hungry and looked in at a nearby pub to ask if they had a saucer of milk. Sadly they weren't able to oblige. I was sorry for the cat but didn't blame the pub since milk probably wasn't much in demand there...
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, I suppose it depends on whether the menu is catering to locals, or whether it's an individual employee refusing to handle/sell something (akin to a checkout worker refusing to sell alcohol).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026

isam said:

Animal rights > religous freedoms.
  • Options
    If I had choose a single adjective to describe him, I'd go for petulant.

It is my considered view that the post defeat actions of David Davis show Tory voters avoided avoided choosing a loser.

• Options
    Im sure whe

isam said:

isam said:

I don't think it's a new thing either? sure I've read teh same (more or less) story a couple of years ago?
    Maybe you did

I'm sure if Enoch Powell had said in 1968 "Franchises of nationwide stores will choose their menu on the local demographic, which will mean you buy Christian food in one shop and islamic food in the next from the same company" people would have accused him of scaremongering

It's a downward drift towards a more and more segregated country... Doesn't bother me about the KFC product, i don't eat that rubbish, and I can't get too bothered about halal meat - killing animals and eating them is killing animals and eating them... But to me the underlying principle is worrying
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    Slightly o/t: this article is interesting - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11975958/Junior-doctors-are-victims-of-an-NHS-thats-broken-beyond-repair.html

If any of our medical posters are around, I'd be interested in their take.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Did the kfc state on the outside it had no bacon products? People probably have a reasonable expectation a kfc will sell kfc products, so if some don't stock some of those products, for whatever reason, I should hope they suitably advertise that before you go in. Yes you tailor to local demand but there will always be some custom from wider afield or who Buck the local trend and who need to know clearly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

Why is the point about Golders Green so different? Shall we send an intrepid Daily Mail reporter there to see how many bacon sandwiches he comes back with?
    The fact that franchises alter their menu to cater for local religion is a small but worrying sign of the future

I'd say people can't see the wood for the trees

If mass immigration and multiculturalism had worked, this restaurant would sell both types

Your point, about I'm supposing small independent restaurants, is irrelevant to this as KFC is a nationwide chain... They may alter their menu dependent on country...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    A couple of decades ago the Telegraph had an article about a Coastguard Land Rover that had accidentally driven off a cliff. The occupants had survived with only cuts and bruises.

The next day there was a large (full-page?) advert from Land Rover reproducing the article, and in big letters at the top: "We apologise for the cuts and bruises"

A really great and memorable ad.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Slightly o/t: this article is interesting - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11975958/Junior-doctors-are-victims-of-an-NHS-thats-broken-beyond-repair.html

If any of our medical posters are around, I'd be interested in their take.

Another case of conclusion first, reasoning afterwards. We still have more doctors per head of population than the USA - if, indeed, that metric tells anyone anything. But, then, Telegraph readers and, indeed, Tory Peebies, doubtless feel personally insulted by a health-care system that treats the poor as well as the rich. So what? They felt that way in the 1940s, too.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

The fact that franchises alter their menu to cater for local religion is a small but worrying sign of the future

Your only hope is Survivalism. Get out of London now, and head west. And further west than Southall. Much further west. The Forest of Dean, or Wales even. It's your only chance before 'they' get you.
  • Options

Mr. Topping, I suppose it depends on whether the menu is catering to locals, or whether it's an individual employee refusing to handle/sell something (akin to a checkout worker refusing to sell alcohol).

Damn you Morris Dancer you made me go onto the Daily Mail website to check and I was unavoidably detained working out if anything whatsoever that forms a part of my diet won't give me cancer. On the bright side, I note there are plenty of filmstars showing off their beach bodies, but I digress.

No. This was not a lone wolf employee emposing his or her views on the KFC-buying public. This is a halal restaurant catering to the local I imagine predominantly muslim demographic. And they are proud of it. And rightly so.

The trouble with @Isam's outrage is that harmless, live-and-let-live things like this, all of which makes Britain Britain, are swept up into a great "us and them" game that sets people further apart.

And I am no lily-livered on the one hand on the other hand kind of guy when it comes to Islamofascism.

• Options
    That's why I assumed the franchisee would be breaking their licensing agreement. KFC is national brand with national advertising.

In my limited experience, franchises must stick to the rules and HQ takes a very dim view of those breaking them.
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

snip

slightly over-dramatic.

If mass immigration and multiculturalism had worked, this restaurant would sell both types

Your point, about I'm supposing small independent restaurants, is irrelevant to this as KFC is a nationwide chain... They may alter their menu dependent on country...
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, one does apologise for one's reasonableness :p

And don't pretend the midriffery wasn't to your taste.
  • Options
    Sad that a team so dominant in their home conditions can't bat when tested with spin on the sub continent

South Africa 9/2 in Mohali
  • Options
    I used to love the LDV ads "We're always on the side of the road" and with photos of AA vans, ambulances etc.

A couple of decades ago the Telegraph had an article about a Coastguard Land Rover that had accidentally driven off a cliff. The occupants had survived with only cuts and bruises.

The next day there was a large (full-page?) advert from Land Rover reproducing the article, and in big letters at the top: "We apologise for the cuts and bruises"

A really great and memorable ad.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

Your only hope is Survivalism. Get out of London now, and head west. And further west than Southall. Much further west. The Forest of Dean, or Wales even. It's your only chance before 'they' get you.
    WATCH it
  • Options
    Davis has ruined the chances of civil liberties being taken as seriously as they ought to be because, as others have said, what he says is seen as him getting back at Cameron. A pity - because we need intelligent, thoughtful advocates for civil liberties.

His other failing I think that he has not really thought through the proper balance between a state not infringing civil liberties and freedoms while also dealing with threats from terrorists and extremists, particularly when the latter are British citizens and use the very freedoms we are anxious to protect to undermine those freedoms and British society more generally. There is no easy answer to this and Davis would have been well advised to think harder about this and try and come up with some possible solutions.

Cameron is trying to address this and there are proposals such as Extremist Disruption Orders but there are legitimate concerns with this approach. Equally, people are fed up with people based here skilfully using the law to protect themselves from any scrutiny or inhibition while doing their level best to inhibit the human rights of others, not least the human right not to be killed by terrorists. How society deals with those within it who want to undermine it has no easy answers. It's a quandary.
  • Options
    Stuff like this doesn't help either http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11976436/Publisher-pays-out-over-Army-abuse-claims-by-rights-activist.html
    Penguin Books has agreed to pay undisclosed compensation to Martin Hemming, the director general of legal services at the MoD between 1998 and 2009, over a claim that he used his position to silence concerns over allegations of human rights abuses by the British military.

Mr Hemming brought libel proceedings against Penguin over campaigner Ms Chakrabarti's book On Liberty.

His solicitor, Cameron Doley, told Mr Justice Warby at London's High Court on Wednesday that the allegations in the book were without foundation.
    Cyclefree said:

Davis has ruined the chances of civil liberties being taken as seriously as they ought to be because, as others have said, what he says is seen as him getting back at Cameron. A pity - because we need intelligent, thoughtful advocates for civil liberties.

His other failing I think that he has not really thought through the proper balance between a state not infringing civil liberties and freedoms while also dealing with threats from terrorists and extremists, particularly when the latter are British citizens and use the very freedoms we are anxious to protect to undermine those freedoms and British society more generally. There is no easy answer to this and Davis would have been well advised to think harder about this and try and come up with some possible solutions.

Cameron is trying to address this and there are proposals such as Extremist Disruption Orders but there are legitimate concerns with this approach. Equally, people are fed up with people based here skilfully using the law to protect themselves from any scrutiny or inhibition while doing their level best to inhibit the human rights of others, not least the human right not to be killed by terrorists. How society deals with those within it who want to undermine it has no easy answers. It's a quandary.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    watford30 said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

Good morning all. We have the East Europeans over this side of the country. You'll never want for weird sausages, bacon or any other pig-derived by-products.

One word of warning; we have been told that Monmouthshire is to take one Syrian family; clearly the precursor to a future inundation of proto-jihadis ;).
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Did you read the story about the German village of 100 getting 700 migrants? No wonder Merkel isn't winning many fans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/world/europe/german-village-of-102-braces-for-750-asylum-seekers.html?_r=0
    In early October, the district government informed Sumte’s mayor, Christian Fabel, by email that his village of 102 people just over the border in what was once Communist East Germany would take in 1,000 asylum seekers.

His wife, the mayor said, assured him it must be a hoax. “It certainly can’t be true” that such a small, isolated place would be asked to accommodate nearly 10 times as many migrants as it had residents, she told him. “She thought it was a joke,” he said.
    John_M said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.
    snip

Good morning all. We have the East Europeans over this side of the country. You'll never want for weird sausages, bacon or any other pig-derived by-products.

One word of warning; we have been told that Monmouthshire is to take one Syrian family; clearly the precursor to a future inundation of proto-jihadis ;).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

TOPPING said:

slightly over-dramatic.

Yes, seems a bit silly. I once found a scrawny-looking stray cat looking hungry and looked in at a nearby pub to ask if they had a saucer of milk. Sadly they weren't able to oblige. I was sorry for the cat but didn't blame the pub since milk probably wasn't much in demand there...
    Didn't they have any milk stout?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    John_M said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

I'm sure if you go to Golders Green you won't find a kosher restaurant there with a stack of bacon sarnies out the back in case a "Dad".

Yes, I must say the local sausage variety in my area has also improved immeasurably since the Polish migration increase.

Those concerned about immigration should not regard it as acceptable compromise, but I feel like the food offer, partcularly in takeaways, has improved a great deal in recent decades.

That said, public perception is against much more immigration, no denying that.
  • Options
    Great to see the fun-poking tradition staying topical :wink: There was a terrible fuss when another bonfire burned Alex Salmon.
    dr_spyn said:
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Great to see the fun-poking tradition staying topical :wink: There was a terrible fuss when another bonfire burned Alex Salmon.

dr_spyn said:
    The jelly spined Nats got terribly precious over that.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4259226.ece
  • Options

My scientific knowledge on anti-matter isn't great (even after watching The Three Doctors), but surely if matter and anti-matter had initially been produced in equal quantities then all the universe would have simply exploded into nothingness at the dawn of time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34727774

If only the reasons behind the meaning of all existence and the exact nature of the fabric of multi dimensionalonal spacetime was so simple.
  • Options
    Frankly, I'd prefer a larger Chinese population here rather than Poles. The range in our local Tesco is very poor bar the odd tin of water chestnuts.
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

slightly over-dramatic.

I'm sure if you go to Golders Green you won't find a kosher restaurant there with a stack of bacon sarnies out the back in case a "Dad".

Yes, I must say the local sausage variety in my area has also improved immeasurably since the Polish migration increase.

Those concerned about immigration should not regard it as acceptable compromise, but I feel like the food offer, partcularly in takeaways, has improved a great deal in recent decades.

That said, public perception is against much more immigration, no denying that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220

dr_spyn said:
    Just about to leave for Lewes - I did wonder if Dave would be up this year - I'd like Merkel again but we had her in 2012.
  • Options
    Another down this way burned a gypsy caravan effigy - that didn't go down well either :open_mouth:

Clearly the locals weren't happy about something...
    watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:
    The jelly spined Nats got terribly precious over that.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4259226.ece
  • Options
    Have fun! What's the forecast? It's been very overcast/rainy here for days.

I haven't been in a few years as it's such a crush.
    tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Just about to leave for Lewes - I did wonder if Dave would be up this year - I'd like Merkel again but we had her in 2012.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, apparently there's been a march (including charming ISIS flags) by some migrants in Hannover.

Merkel's a bloody fool.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In a decade or so...

"You know what they call a chicken and bacon burger in the muslim part of Derbyshire?"

"No?"

"50 lashes"

http://youtu.be/08bzBAKCRlM
  • Options
    Morning all.

Is Mr Jessop around? – Though he might appreciate some pretty pix of mountain walks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34724709
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Hope you enjoy it. When Rev Ian Paisley praised the bonfire societies for burning The Pope, his image was added to the bonfire the following year.
  • Options

Cameron and Davis made it exciting to be a Conservative again. It really fired up my interest after what I thought had been a totally lacklustre election campaign that year.
    Some of the early thoughts about Cameron have proved to be correct sadly but Davis has spent the years after his defeat proving that those Conservative members who voted against him were entirely correct to do so.

Correct ... I thought from first impressions in 2005 that Davis would have been the best choice. Sadly, since his defeat he has just shown himself up as a poor loser. Resigning his seat to stand again was at best the act of a hysteric buffoon and at worst the calculated act of someone wanting to undermine the leadership of his party (in the expectation of them losing the next election).
  • Options

It was the choice of David Davis, no-one else, not to be Home Secretary, since he would almost certainly have been appointed to the role had he not done his bizarre resignation stunt, a stunt which made zero sense. I'm not sure that DD is exactly an irritant, more an oddball who has gratuitously thrown away all credibility.

The problem for the right of the party which I would like to support is that they have all, almost to a man, thrown away their positions in power even when handed to them. People on the right moan about defence, yet Fox the right wing appointee to Defence went out of his way to make a total fool of himself and had to resign.
  • Options
    @Morris

Be wary of links claiming to show "marching refugees in Germany with ISIS flags":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/isis-flag-picture-that-claims-to-show-refugees-attacking-police-goes-viral--and-is-a-lie-10501290.html

I find it disturbing that some media organisations ran with these pics as current - the least they could do when verifying an image they didn't source themselves is to run a reverse image search which would have cast doubt on the story.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Davis didn't ruin anything of the sort. He stood up for civil liberties when it was obvious his party was only half hearted in their defence. And consequent actions by Cameron either in Coalition or on his own have shown that Davis was absolutely right not to trust him with the issue.

He has very well thought through the balance between civil liberties and state security - far more so than Cameron or May who have pushed as hard as possible to get as much power for the State over the individual as they possibly can. What we need is more push back against their authoritarian impulses not less.
  • Options
    That isn't a post in defence of Merkel's migration policy or suggesting no extremists have come to Europe btw. Just that viral deliberate falsehoods irritate me - somebody concocted that story in order to manipulate people (including me, and I dislike being deceived and manipulated). Doesn't take much to guess their motives in doing so and they are not pleasant.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited November 2015
    TOPPING said:

No. This was not a lone wolf employee emposing his or her views on the KFC-buying public. This is a halal restaurant catering to the local I imagine predominantly muslim demographic. And they are proud of it. And rightly so.

If that is their approach they should be open and clear about it. Not wait for customer to travel to their establishment and find out it doesn't offer the expected range of products. Some indication on the front of the establishment that they offer a range of product out of keeping with their national campaign would save a lot of disagreeableness all around. Had it said "Halal KFC" on the sign post, the gentleman in question would not have a leg to stand on.

I think quite a lot of members of the public living in the suburbs that travel in to town expecting a national chain to serve its advertised product range, and then finding that it doesn't, would be well within their rights to be slightly miffed. Keeping a small supply of all products in every store would be sensible in any case: "sorry sir, not much call for that around here, it will take 15 minutes if you want to wait" would seem a reasonable compromise.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, aye, that seems a fair approach.
  • Options
    Mr. Ears, hmm. Misinformation is going to be an ever increasing problem with so-called citizen journalism.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,942
    Who knew ten years ago that David Cameron would have ten years as Prime Minister and over-see the meltdown of both Labour and the Lib-Dems!
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, Ave It may have predicted it :p
  • Options

Morning all.

Is Mr Jessop around? – Though he might appreciate some pretty pix of mountain walks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34724709

Thanks, there are some lovely photos there.. Sadly, I've only done a couple of those hills.

So many hills, so far away, and so little time.

(Having said that, I've always used living in Cambridgeshire as an excuse not to try to tick off mountain lists. It's therefore slightly annoying and amusing that the first person to complete the Marilyns - which includes some on offshore islands - lived in Peterborough).

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Ticked-off-the-man-who-climbed-all-1556-Marilyns
  • Options
    isam said:

In a decade or so...

"You know what they call a chicken and bacon burger in the muslim part of Derbyshire?"

"No?"

"50 lashes"

(Snip)

Anybody wanting superior pork products (and scrumptious cakes) in Derbyshire and surrounding counties would be mad to go to a KFC when there's a Birds nearby. ;)

http://birdsbakery.com/

The best pork pies in the world.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

If that is their approach they should be open and clear about it. Not wait for customer to travel to their establishment and find out it doesn't offer the expected range of products. Some indication on the front of the establishment that they offer a range of product out of keeping with their national campaign would save a lot of disagreeableness all around. Had it said "Halal KFC" on the sign post, the gentleman in question would not have a leg to stand on.

I think quite a lot of members of the public living in the suburbs that travel in to town expecting a national chain to serve its advertised product range, and then finding that it doesn't, would be well within their rights to be slightly miffed. Keeping a small supply of all products in every store would be sensible in any case: "sorry sir, not much call for that around here, it will take 15 minutes if you want to wait" would seem a reasonable compromise.
    '"Dad" unable to access full range of menu items in national fast food chain.'

'KFC in blatant menu misrepresentation leaving their claim to be "national" fast food chain in tatters.'

'National chain KFC grooms unsuspecting punters with advertising pretending to offer bacon rolls then dashing their hopes and dreams, forcing "Dads" to travel two extra miles to satisfy their bacon craving.'

Nope, still not feeling the outrage.

I'll re-read your, and @Isam's posts again a few times to see if there are any stirrings.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

'KFC in blatant menu misrepresentation leaving their claim to be "national" fast food chain in tatters.'

'National chain KFC grooms unsuspecting punters with advertising pretending to offer bacon rolls then dashing their hopes and dreams, forcing "Dads" to travel two extra miles to satisfy their bacon craving.'

I'll re-read your, and @Isam's posts again a few times to see if there are any stirrings.

I'm not outraged, but I think the point that people can reasonably expect a KFC to sell KFC products unless it is clearly indicated they do not on some of them, is fair enough. It's not culture war panic mode or anything, but if you're tailoring to meet local demand, some indication of that so those who don't fit that demand are aware seems reasonable.
  • Options

isam said:

In a decade or so...

"No?"

"50 lashes"

(Snip)

Anybody wanting superior pork products (and scrumptious cakes) in Derbyshire and surrounding counties would be mad to go to a KFC when there's a Birds nearby. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKJmBzCu9w4
  • Options

isam said:

In a decade or so...

"No?"

"50 lashes"

(Snip)

Do they sell any Halal products?
  • Options
    IMO, this is all a symptom of one's own culture being squeezed out on such a scale that it makes established locals feel unwelcome in their own neighbourhoods.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable attitude to have and to want to stop it going any further.
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not outraged, but I think the point that people can reasonably expect a KFC to sell KFC products unless it is clearly indicated they do not on some of them, is fair enough. It's not culture war panic mode or anything, but if you're tailoring to meet local demand, some indication of that so those who don't fit that demand are aware seems reasonable.
  • Options

Cameron and Davis made it exciting to be a Conservative again. It really fired up my interest after what I thought had been a totally lacklustre election campaign that year.
    Some of the early thoughts about Cameron have proved to be correct sadly but Davis has spent the years after his defeat proving that those Conservative members who voted against him were entirely correct to do so.

Correct ... I thought from first impressions in 2005 that Davis would have been the best choice. Sadly, since his defeat he has just shown himself up as a poor loser. Resigning his seat to stand again was at best the act of a hysteric buffoon and at worst the calculated act of someone wanting to undermine the leadership of his party (in the expectation of them losing the next election).
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair. While Davis's stunt may have been excessive and an ill-judged response to the issue, it's worth noting that he did achieve his aim of preventing the 90 day detention. I have little doubt he acted for little more than his own principles as it was perfectly clear that noting he did would undermine Cameron but could (and did) destroy his own future. Perhaps had Cameron lost in 2010, Davis might again have been a candidate but then that would have been the case either way and to have been a senior shadow cabinet member would have aided his chances.

Davis really was more temperamentally suited to be Chair of the Home Affairs select committee than Home Sec, though as Vaz has actually done a very good job there it's been no great loss.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

IMO, this is all a symptom of one's own culture being squeezed out on such a scale that it makes established locals feel unwelcome in their own neighbourhoods.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable attitude to have and to want to stop it going any further.

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

'one's own culture'.

KFC? Really? Are you posting from Alabama or Texas?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

isam said:

In a decade or so...

"No?"

"50 lashes"

(Snip)

Do they sell any Halal products?
    No idea, and don't care.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

If th

I think quite a lot of members of the public living in the suburbs that travel in to town ext much call for that around here, it will take 15 minutes if you want to wait" would seem a reasonable compromise.

OK cool we have now moved on the discussion to an analysis of the marketing strategy of KFC which is a reasonable topic to discuss, albeit perhaps a first for PB.

Yes I don't disagree that they might have been better off with "No Bacon Here" signs, or somesuch outside that particular branch in order to avoid "Dads" being disappointed and frustrated.

Equally, I have never understood the "limited offers" at McDonalds for some of their products. I would hate to take the chance of going to one of their branches only to find out that their "Christmas McFlurry" promotion was over.

Personally I like Nandos and they seem to have their marketing strategy right. It's a simple message - chicken - but they convey it well.

I can't think of any other national fast food chains off-hand (I had a Burger King a few years ago and it tasted like glue so can we please leave them out of it) so I would be interested to hear PB's view of where other chains are getting it right or wrong.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    dr_spyn said:
    He should have denied it and killed the story.

Silly.

(Unless it was actually true, and so he couldn't...)
  • Options
    Not a regular, but KFCs are the same everywhere and consistent. Haven't eaten another fastfood offering bar Upper Crust in decades - they're very consistent too but just sandwiches.

Burger King - urgh.
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

If th

I think quite a lot of members of the public living in the suburbs that travel in to town ext much call for that around here, it will take 15 minutes if you want to wait" would seem a reasonable compromise.

OK cool we have now moved on the discussion to an analysis of the marketing strategy of KFC which is a reasonable topic to discuss, albeit perhaps a first for PB.

Yes I don't disagree that they might have been better off with "No Bacon Here" signs, or somesuch outside that particular branch in order to avoid "Dads" being disappointed and frustrated.

Equally, I have never understood the "limited offers" at McDonalds for some of their products. I would hate to take the chance of going to one of their branches only to find out that their "Christmas McFlurry" promotion was over.

Personally I like Nandos and they seem to have their marketing strategy right. It's a simple message - chicken - but they convey it well.

I can't think of any other national fast food chains off-hand (I had a Burger King a few years ago and it tasted like glue so can we please leave them out of it) so I would be interested to hear PB's view of where other chains are getting it right or wrong.
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, indeed, the site normally discusses more relevant contemporary topics, such as the optimal side of a grid in a race a quarter of a century ago.

Ahem. :p

Betfair's 2016 market still hasn't woken up.

Red Bull perplexes me. It would be substantial if they and Toro Rosso toddled off, and yet it's hard to see where their engine will come from (perhaps not aided by Mateschitz insulting every engine manufacturer the other day).
  • Options
    Mr. Sykes, that wouldn't've killed the story. It would've added fuel.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

When I lived in London twenty years ago I had a student friend who had an evening job working at a Burger King. I expressed surprise that they managed to have so many branches given that I had only ever been in one once or twice. He said there were three main demographics: pissed people, people about to go out to get pissed, and families. The latter category would often go in several nights a week with their kids.

Can you imagine regularly feeding your family on Burger King? Leaving aside the cost, it can hardly be the most healthy lifestyle ...
  • Options
    That we're discussing fast food at all tells me nothing much has happened this week bar tourists in Sharm.

There's been nothing of particular note in the papers that's caught my attention. The Times chicken stunning story got 450 comments... and as you noted, Fruit & Nut caused a fuss too....

Mr. Sykes, that wouldn't've killed the story. It would've added fuel.

• Options
    The KFC in Eastbourne was populated by that demographic and those not appearing on Jeremy Kyle that morning.

And me when I felt very lazy for lunch.

TOPPING said:

When I lived in London twenty years ago I had a student friend who had an evening job working at a Burger King. I expressed surprise that they managed to have so many branches given that I had only ever been in one once or twice. He said there were three main demographics: pissed people, people about to go out to get pissed, and families. The latter category would often go in several nights a week with their kids.

Can you imagine regularly feeding your family on Burger King? Leaving aside the cost, it can hardly be the most healthy lifestyle ...
  • Options
    Miss Plato, not just a fuss, an angry fuss. I've never seen so many top rated comments in moderation.

Going to absolutely piss it down on Saturday. One suspects the hound will not appreciate that.
  • Options
    Perhaps she needs a rain coat? My greyhounds always went out all cosy and covered up on wintry days. They'd have refused to leave the sofa otherwise.

Miss Plato, not just a fuss, an angry fuss. I've never seen so many top rated comments in moderation.

Going to absolutely piss it down on Saturday. One suspects the hound will not appreciate that.

• Options

TOPPING said:

Years ago we always thought about sitting outside an "Angus Steakhouse" restaurant for an evening just to see who on earth went there.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    edited November 2015
    Miss Plato, I know some dogs need such things, but she's a border collie, and not a short-haired one like her predecessor [well, he was a bit of a mongrel, but he did have short hair].

Like many dogs, she just doesn't like heavy rain.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Topping, a steakhouse stakeout?
  • Options
    LOL - back in the mid-90s I worked in Central London and one of our team was given the job of organising our Christmas do. He chose an Angus Steakhouse....

It was like stepping back 20yrs. Plum Draylon booths, prawn cocktail with cold peas and Black Forest gateaux. Oh and warm Riesling. It was hilariously revolting. Of all the places to pick from - and he thought it'd be nice. He never lived that down. We possibly went for a KFC on the way back to the office as a treat.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Years ago we always thought about sitting outside an "Angus Steakhouse" restaurant for an evening just to see who on earth went there.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Cyclefree said:

Davis didn't ruin anything of the sort. He stood up for civil liberties when it was obvious his party was only half hearted in their defence. And consequent actions by Cameron either in Coalition or on his own have shown that Davis was absolutely right not to trust him with the issue.

He has very well thought through the balance between civil liberties and state security - far more so than Cameron or May who have pushed as hard as possible to get as much power for the State over the individual as they possibly can. What we need is more push back against their authoritarian impulses not less.
    I don't disagree with your conclusion that we need more push back against authoritarian impulses. But I have not seen what Davis has said on how one deals with extremists. I may have missed this, of course. I don't think that him resigning his seat helped the case for civil liberties as much as he might have hoped - because it made it all about him rather than the subject matter. It may be perception but is there anyone else within the Tories who takes up the cause? I think it would help if there were someone other than him so that it's not seen as part of some Davis/Cameron battle.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

Given that, presumably, these products wouldn't sell, you are arguing that the shareholders of KFC should accept losses in order that someone who randomly walks into one of their shops can buy anything they like?

Shouldn't that be a simple business decision?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Charles said:

isam said:

Given that, presumably, these products wouldn't sell, you are arguing that the shareholders of KFC should accept losses in order that someone who randomly walks into one of their shops can buy anything they like?

Presumably to be offset against the bad publicity that articles such as these produce.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Isn't KFC a franchise? I think McDonalds is too and they certainly sell different stuff in different countries to cater for local tastes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Damn you Morris Dancer you made me go onto the Daily Mail website to check and I was unavoidably detained working out if anything whatsoever that forms a part of my diet won't give me cancer. On the bright side, I note there are plenty of filmstars showing off their beach bodies, but I digress.

The trouble with @Isam's outrage is that harmless, live-and-let-live things like this, all of which makes Britain Britain, are swept up into a great "us and them" game that sets people further apart.

And I am no lily-livered on the one hand on the other hand kind of guy when it comes to Islamofascism.

Not outraged at all by the way, and I'm not setting us against them either, I'm just noticing that it's happening rather than pretending it's not
  • Options

TOPPING said:

On the rare occassion I have one (now and then I'm starving late at night at Waterloo, and there isn't much else) it tastes good at the time, but I feel awful half-an-hour later.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661
    My recollection isn't that he won the debates, it was that he badly fluffed it. He came over like someone had added laxatives to his coffee. Cameron by comparison was extremely polished and made all the right noises. He's been extremely polished and made all the right noises ever since. A shame, as Davis would have probably actually had a stab at being a good Prime Minister rather than merely a good speechmaker.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

My father and his work colleagues used to regularly eat at them. I gave him a lot of stick when he mentioned it. I could understand tourists eating at them, but there is no excuse for Londoners to go anywhere near them.
  • Options
    In my single experience, they can't even cook a steak. Not that hard for a virtually single offer chain.
    MP_SE said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

My father and his work colleagues used to regularly eat at them. I gave him a lot of stick when he mentioned it. I could understand tourists eating at them, but there is no excuse for Londoners to go anywhere near them.