Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    Hello PB'ers

As this site is an infinite source of wisdom, I would like some help.

As many of you know, I founded a little business called Crowdscores, which crowdsources live football data. The benefit of this should be that: (1) we are quicker than traditional providers, and (2) we can cover more games (we have Frome Town vs Weymouth this evening, for example).

What we would really like is to get a university researcher or PhD student to do a quick (say over one Saturday and one midweek day) comparison of our service with a few other sources: say BBC, SkySports, and one or two apps. They should compare the coverage, speed and accuracy of the various services.

I guess it's probably one day of work to setup, two days of work to run the tests, and then two days to write it up.

We would really like to use the information in our marketing material and with prospective investors, so it's important that we can say "a study from researchers at the university of xx".

Does anyone know anyone who might be able to help?

Many thanks, Robert
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

notme said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Pong said:

FPT

Pong said:

Pong said:

But it's blindingly obvious that x is an artificial figure entirely removed from the profit facebook actually makes from their UK users.

Hence howls of outrage.

Ah- the x in question was the amount paid in bonuses. If it hadn't been paid in bonuses, it'd remain in the accounts. Given that they logged a loss of the order of a quarter of that number, they'd actually only have logged a profit of three-quarters of x at best.
    You think that if they hadn't paid massive bonuses to their staff, they'd have just logged a profit (and paid tax on it) instead?

:)

Don't know if they would or wouldn't. What I do know is that a lot more tax got paid from that money than would have been paid if they had done just that.
    I guess my point is the howls of outrage come, ultimately, from facebook representing themselves as unprofitable for tax purposes, while every man and his dog can see they're making money hand over fist from their UK operations. Arguing the minutiae of whether 40-50% of a tiny amount is better than ~23% of a tiny amount kinda misses the point.

You don't pay (relatively) huge bonuses to your staff if you aren't making any profit.

People sniff an accounting trick, with the loser being the taxman.

Return of the Jedi (the 15th biggest ever box office) has not made a penny 'profit', and the last harry potter film is claimed to have lost $167 million.
    Standard practice for Hollywood. Many actors have been caught out by having points of the Net/Gross on a film.
    Its the same technique that is used by companies like starbucks though. The charges and recharges on the supply chain mean that the only entity that makes any profit is the one based in the place with the lowest tax. The gross profit of a £2 cup of coffee will be around 95%. Yet, the way the company is constructed, it will appear to make a loss or break even on each one.
    Then try setting up a coffee shop. If the profit rate is 95%, you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.
    You clearly do not understand the difference between gross and net profit!
    See earlier posts!
    Then it's not relevant, is it? So why should it be brought up in the first case?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

notme said:

Its the same technique that is used by companies like starbucks though. The charges and recharges on the supply chain mean that the only entity that makes any profit is the one based in the place with the lowest tax. The gross profit of a £2 cup of coffee will be around 95%. Yet, the way the company is constructed, it will appear to make a loss or break even on each one.

How on earth do you figure a 95% profit on a cup of coffee!?

I don't work for Starbucks, never have done, but figure that while there is no VAT on coffee, but there is:
    Cost of goods
    For the gross profit

Wages
    Utilities
    Depreciation on Equipment
    Business Rates
    Rent
    Payroll taxes

Overheads.
    Nope. Wages form part of costs for Gross Profit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

notme said:

Then try setting up a coffee shop. If the profit rate is 95%, you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.
    You clearly do not understant the difference between gross and net profit!
    Wages count within gross profit. No way are wages less than 5%.
    Not necessarily. Not sure if absorption costing is a requirement of US or IFRS GAAP..., in the books I'm doing right now some wages are absorbed, others aren't !
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    Frankly, the entire issue could be sidestepped by abolishing corporation tax completely. It's primarily incident on the worker, in any case.

Abolish dividend taxation as well; tax dividends as regular income.
    Treat dividends paid from any company in any given state as income earned within that state.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Not just Corbyn having a bad polling week. Trump's gets worse with him behind Carson in Texas of all places.

Trump 22, Carson 23, Cruz 14, Bush 13, Fiorina 5, Rubio 7, Huckabee 3, Christie 2, Paul 1, Kasich 0, Jindal 0, Santorum 0, Pataki 0 in KTVT-CBS 11 poll

Rubio isn't exactly looking like a 5-2 favourite right now ! Laid at 3.45 on the Betfair exchange...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

notme said:

Not necessarily. Not sure if absorption costing is a requirement of US or IFRS GAAP..., in the books I'm doing right now some wages are absorbed, others aren't !
    Labour costs related to the product most definitely do form part of the accounting for cost of goods sold. The baristas wages would form part of COGS for Gross Profit.

An accountants salary OTOH could be Overhead. But either way when it comes to taxes we quite rightly include Overheads as legitimate costs as they are unavoidable. Good luck selling a coffee without a premises that thus attracts business rates. Or without electricity or water.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Apologies I thought all Starbucks were franchised. If you take into account staff requirements, rent, rates and franchise fees I'd be surprised if many owners earned more than the min wage when hours worked is taken into account.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

notme said:

Under generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), absorption costing is required for external reporting. All normal manufacturing costs must be treated as product costs and subsequently included as inventory in the financial statements. Inventory costs are reflected in the income statement and the balance sheet.

Read more: How is absorption costing treated under GAAP? http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/040915/how-absorption-costing-treated-under-gaap.asp#ixzz3psa5OcNc
    Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Not just Corbyn having a bad polling week. Trump's gets worse with him behind Carson in Texas of all places.

Trump 22, Carson 23, Cruz 14, Bush 13, Fiorina 5, Rubio 7, Huckabee 3, Christie 2, Paul 1, Kasich 0, Jindal 0, Santorum 0, Pataki 0 in KTVT-CBS 11 poll

Rubio isn't exactly looking like a 5-2 favourite right now ! Laid at 3.45 on the Betfair exchange...
    If not him, who? Cruz and Bush poll equally badly, Trump and Carson seem like they'll crash...

as I said my inclination to is lay all!
  • Options
    Anna Soubry giving a combative performance in the Commons.

There's a touch of Thatcher about her.

50/1 to be next Tory leader
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

If not him, who? Cruz and Bush poll equally badly, Trump and Carson seem like they'll crash...

Rubio is the shortest priced is the only reason tbh !
  • Options

Only if the Conservative Party splits in two :-)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The thing is, if there's an accounting trick, the Inland Revenue should jump on it.
    Personally, I've got no idea if Facebook UK really does make a load of money over its UK operations; I'm not completely au fait with the revenue generation side (it's something in the advertising area, I believe). If they're misrepresenting their income, then they should be jumped on. From experience, the taxman isn't usually sanguine about being ripped off.
    Howling about them paying large taxable bonuses seems to be a diversion to me.

The Revenue really hate being ripped off, unless the miscreant is a very large company, in which case a few cosy meetings at very senior level and the tax liability is suddenly massively reduced and no penalty sought. When HMRC go after the really big boys, like Starbucks, with the same vim and vigour that they go after the little people then they will be deserving of respect.
    Have you any actual EVIDENCE that they are not going after the big boys?

I suspect the big boys are more whiter than white than some small companies can be, they play within the rules. Smaller companies who have nobody else to answer to can try and push the limits more (or fail to understand where the limits are).
    As I am a private individual without access to the accounts or correspondence how can I have what you might call evidence.

Let us take for the moment accept your hypothesis that the really big boys are "whiter than white". If that were true what was the need for the meetings between Vodaphone and the head of HMRC? Just clearing up a misunderstanding or negotiating a settlement?

A small company/sole trader just gets a bill from the taxman. Furthermore, after these new rule changes, passed by a Conservative Government no less, HMRC can just seize the money from bank accounts even though their is an on-going dispute involving accountants and lawyers.

When I read that HMRC is treating the big boys in the same way that they treat SMEs I will concede you have a point. Until then I will continue to laugh when people mention the concept of "equal before the law" and I will hold HMRC in contempt.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Rubio is the shortest priced is the only reason tbh !
    I'm giving this a think, I backed Rubio in from 6s and 7s.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm currently laying Donald Trump. He finally seems to be sliding down the greasy poll.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,129
    edited October 2015

Pulpstar said:

notme said:

Labour costs related to the product most definitely do form part of the accounting for cost of goods sold. The baristas wages would form part of COGS for Gross Profit.

An accountants salary OTOH could be Overhead. But either way when it comes to taxes we quite rightly include Overheads as legitimate costs as they are unavoidable. Good luck selling a coffee without a premises that thus attracts business rates. Or without electricity or water.
    Hmm, Interesting. When I was CEO of a small company, admittedly some years ago, Gross Profit, according to our (chartered) accountants was sales plus stock in hand minus (invoice costs plus cost of good at start of the year)/. Overheads such as wages,rent, light, heat transport etc etc came out of the gross and the end product of GP - OH was Net Profit.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Only ever had one cup of coffee from Starbucks...some years ago..nice shop..only thing missing was anything that remotely tasted of coffee..
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    antifrank said:

I'm currently laying Donald Trump. He finally seems to be sliding down the greasy poll.

A little too much information thank you…
  • Options
    The value in the GOP Circus race could well be with Jeb Bush actually right now. I know he's floundered, but he's roughly level in recent polls with Rubio, has the Bush name and well who is going to be there at the end.

That said I've followed Antifrank in and laid Trump... Have to admit it is alot easier to do this move when you've backed him at 28-1 with Hills too !
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Dodd, I'm confounded by the array of beverages, all apparently coffee.

I take it black [as an aside, research seems to suggest black coffee drinkers are apparently more likely to be psychopaths]. Presumably there's a ridiculous fancy name for a black coffee?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,129
    edited October 2015

Only ever had one cup of coffee from Starbucks...some years ago..nice shop..only thing missing was anything that remotely tasted of coffee..

Scalding hot, too. On the rae occasions I am forced into a Starbucks I ask for a lump of ice rather than sugar!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    So, with a little research, it appears that there are 21,366 Starbucks stores globally, selling 4 million cups of coffee a day (and of course a fair bit more besides) to 60 million customers a week (which implies a lot of customers buy no coffee). On that basis, on average, each store has 3000 customers a week give or take.

You should be able to make a handsome profit on that.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Racist?

I take it black [as an aside, research seems to suggest black coffee drinkers are apparently more likely to be psychopaths]. Presumably there's a ridiculous fancy name for a black coffee?

• Options

They do a mean hot chocolate
  • Options

Racist?

Depends if you ask for it with brown sugar, or not.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

So, with a little research, it appears that there are 21,366 Starbucks stores globally, selling 4 million cups of coffee a day (and of course a fair bit more besides) to 60 million customers a week (which implies a lot of customers buy no coffee). On that basis, on average, each store has 3000 customers a week give or take.

Not if you sell each one at a loss!

(Not that I dispute Starbucks must be profitable.)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MTimT..They might have to break out that second coffee bean soon.. the first one has done sterling work..
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I do, very rarely, have milk with it, but tend to have milk with tea when reading ancient Chinese literature [ :p ].

Mind you, I'll devour any shade of chocolate.
  • Options

Mind you, I'll devour any shade of chocolate.

Well, that answers a question that has been increasingly preying on my mind for a while.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, it is an important philosophical point.

Don't eat nuts, though.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    BBC reporting that a pupil has died after a stabbing incident at an Aberdeen School
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited October 2015

MTimT said:

Not if you sell each one at a loss!

(Not that I dispute Starbucks must be profitable.)
    Their cost of goods sold (ex-labour) must be in the order of 10% for their drinks and 25% for their food, based on US prices. They are most certainly not making a loss on each sale. ;)
  • Options

The thing is, if there's an accounting trick, the Inland Revenue should jump on it.
    Personally, I've got no idea if Facebook UK really does make a load of money over its UK operations; I'm not completely au fait with the revenue generation side (it's something in the advertising area, I believe). If they're misrepresenting their income, then they should be jumped on. From experience, the taxman isn't usually sanguine about being ripped off.
    Howling about them paying large taxable bonuses seems to be a diversion to me.

The Revenue really hate being ripped off, unless the miscreant is a very large company, in which case a few cosy meetings at very senior level and the tax liability is suddenly massively reduced and no penalty sought. When HMRC go after the really big boys, like Starbucks, with the same vim and vigour that they go after the little people then they will be deserving of respect.
    Have you any actual EVIDENCE that they are not going after the big boys?

I suspect the big boys are more whiter than white than some small companies can be, they play within the rules. Smaller companies who have nobody else to answer to can try and push the limits more (or fail to understand where the limits are).
    As I am a private individual without access to the accounts or correspondence how can I have what you might call evidence.

Let us take for the moment accept your hypothesis that the really big boys are "whiter than white". If that were true what was the need for the meetings between Vodaphone and the head of HMRC? Just clearing up a misunderstanding or negotiating a settlement?

A small company/sole trader just gets a bill from the taxman. Furthermore, after these new rule changes, passed by a Conservative Government no less, HMRC can just seize the money from bank accounts even though their is an on-going dispute involving accountants and lawyers.

When I read that HMRC is treating the big boys in the same way that they treat SMEs I will concede you have a point. Until then I will continue to laugh when people mention the concept of "equal before the law" and I will hold HMRC in contempt.
    In an ideal world, all companies large and small would get exactly the same treatment. The reality though is the megacorps have large numbers of expensive tax lawyers while HMRC has small numbers of relatively poorly paid staff. Often HMRC is going into battle with one hand tied behind its back.

If the Government really wanted to help HMRC, the way to go would be to focus on tax simplification.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anecdote suggests that Starbucks are not very good at negotiating rents. This in turn suggests that they are not feeling the need to manage overheads particularly keenly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hello PB'ers

As many of you know, I founded a little business called Crowdscores, which crowdsources live football data. The benefit of this should be that: (1) we are quicker than traditional providers, and (2) we can cover more games (we have Frome Town vs Weymouth this evening, for example).

What we would really like is to get a university researcher or PhD student to do a quick (say over one Saturday and one midweek day) comparison of our service with a few other sources: say BBC, SkySports, and one or two apps. They should compare the coverage, speed and accuracy of the various services.

I guess it's probably one day of work to setup, two days of work to run the tests, and then two days to write it up.

We would really like to use the information in our marketing material and with prospective investors, so it's important that we can say "a study from researchers at the university of xx".

Many thanks, Robert

Hello all: any luck with this?
  • Options
    @stephenkb: If Corbyn's support drops as much as Blair's did from his first two months, would get 21% and 131 seats: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/10/why-are-boundary-changes-bad-labour
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. 1000, it's beyond me, but if you let me know/remind me of your Twitter account I'll RT it (if you can't get a PBer who can help).

Have you considered sending a message to Mark Hopkins? Sounds like the sort of thing he might be able to do.
  • Options

In an ideal world, all companies large and small would get exactly the same treatment. The reality though is the megacorps have large numbers of expensive tax lawyers while HMRC has small numbers of relatively poorly paid staff. Often HMRC is going into battle with one hand tied behind its back.

If the Government really wanted to help HMRC, the way to go would be to focus on tax simplification.

It's not just that: the truth is that transfer pricing is complicated and hard.

What is the right price that - for example - Microsoft UK buys Windows licenses from Microsoft inc?

What about loans. If I take a loan from my parent (in another country), what is the right interest rate?
  • Options

I quote agree, Mr.Vale. Unfortunately, as Cameron seeks to be the "Heir to Blair" we have a chancellor who seeks to emulate Brown. The UK tax code is rediculously and expensively complex, to the point where it is becoming arbitrary in a way that the UK hasn't seen for hundreds of years.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. Eagles, that'd likely be bad for democracy (assuming a stupidly large blue majority).

I wonder if, should that happen, UKIP and/or the Lib Dems would make hay and take the first major step towards becoming the official party of opposition.

Edited extra bit: np, Mr. 1000. You're not a frequent tweeter :p
  • Options

Mr. 1000, it's beyond me, but if you let me know/remind me of your Twitter account I'll RT it (if you can't get a PBer who can help).

Have you considered sending a message to Mark Hopkins? Sounds like the sort of thing he might be able to do.

Twitter is @Rcs1000Robert

And I will contact Mark. Thanks
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814

She'd be a fantastic choice if she wasn't so rude and soaking wet.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that'd likely be bad for democracy (assuming a stupidly large blue majority).

I wonder if, should that happen, UKIP and/or the Lib Dems would make hay and take the first major step towards becoming the official party of opposition.

Edited extra bit: np, Mr. 1000. You're not a frequent tweeter :p

Too many tweets...

(You are right: I very rarely tweet. I am quite busy, generally :lol:)
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, hey, I tweet often! Even done a few Twitter panels (including one where I made a reasonably good triple entendre joke).

Mr. Royale, not taken with Soubry. Greening or Patel, however, are clearly prime ministerial material.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    antifrank said:

I'd be a bit worried if I were a Labour supporter about the 19% of 2015 Labour voters who think that Jeremy Corbyn is a man with extreme left-wing views and unworkable policies who would be a threat to the economy and national security.

Why don't they just go and JOIN THE TORIES? They will? Carry on then.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What is the right price that - for example - Microsoft UK buys Windows licenses from Microsoft inc?

What about loans. If I take a loan from my parent (in another country), what is the right interest rate?
    My memory is not what it was but as far as I can recall until the mid 1960s companies were taxed on income. What is now corporation tax was introduced as an additional tax on "excess" profits by the Wilson government having an attack of the clevers (doubtless because of some newspaper induced scandal). Perhaps it is time to revert .

Companies were acknowledged in law as a means of making it possible for them to sign contracts etc. and have the same rights in law as an individual. So fine, let us now tax companies in the same manner as individuals are taxed, with one small exception.

Penalties for being found in breach of the law should be levied on the company directors (and public/Third Sector equivalents) personally and without mercy.
  • Options
    Applications for Oldham West Labour selection close on Friday at noon. Shortlisting interview takes place on Monday. Selection on Thursday
  • Options

Applications for Oldham West Labour selection close on Friday at noon. Shortlisting interview takes place on Monday. Selection on Thursday

Who does the selecting?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

My memory is not what it was but as far as I can recall until the mid 1960s companies were taxed on income. What is now corporation tax was introduced as an additional tax on "excess" profits by the Wilson government having an attack of the clevers (doubtless because of some newspaper induced scandal). Perhaps it is time to revert .

Companies were acknowledged in law as a means of making it possible for them to sign contracts etc. and have the same rights in law as an individual. So fine, let us now tax companies in the same manner as individuals are taxed, with one small exception.

Penalties for being found in breach of the law should be levied on the company directors (and public/Third Sector equivalents) personally and without mercy.
    If you mean "let us now tax companies in the same manner as individuals are taxed" just a tax hike to 20/40/45% obviously we *could* do that...
  • Options

Mr. 1000, hey, I tweet often! Even done a few Twitter panels (including one where I made a reasonably good triple entendre joke).

Mr. Royale, not taken with Soubry. Greening or Patel, however, are clearly prime ministerial material.

What's so interesting about the Tory women is how ambitious they are.

Absolutely a positive thing and my only objection is their politics: if they are pro-EU, liberal on immigration and new-Labour lite on social policy then that's a dealbreaker for me.
  • Options
    Shortlisting will be done by a NEC panel. Final choice between the shortlisted candidates will be done by Oldham West members.

Who does the selecting?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If you mean "let us now tax companies in the same manner as individuals are taxed" just a tax hike to 20/40/45% obviously we *could* do that...
    Yes, and I am waiting for the bit that comes after the three dots.
  • Options

Shortlisting will be done by a NEC panel. Final choice between the shortlisted candidates will be done by Oldham West members.

Who does the selecting?
    Thanks very interesting.

UKIP candidate is selected by the NEC at by elections, local branch in general elections

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello PB'ers

Many thanks, Robert

Hello all: any luck with this?
    It may be worth joining a student or post grad forum and seeing if anyone would be interested. Possibly contact local unis as I remember local firms would offer various types of work/experience through my department.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

@stephenkb: If Corbyn's support drops as much as Blair's did from his first two months, would get 21% and 131 seats: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/10/why-are-boundary-changes-bad-labour

Nah. That is too optomistic for Labour!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2015
    antifrank said:

Anecdote suggests that Starbucks are not very good at negotiating rents.

Maybe I'm a bit too suspicious, but when a large company is overpaying market rates for rent I always assume they're getting some benefit/kickback that's not immediately obvious in the accounts.

eg; The value, to starbucks, of not having a costa shop in the same managed complex is quite high.
  • Options
    Pong said:

antifrank said:

Anecdote suggests that Starbucks are not very good at negotiating rents.

Maybe I'm a bit too suspicious, but when a large company is overpaying market rates for rent I always assume they're getting some benefit/kickback that's not immediately obvious in the accounts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLnCcTUIybg
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,072

Absolutely a positive thing and my only objection is their politics: if they are pro-EU, liberal on immigration and new-Labour lite on social policy then that's a dealbreaker for me.
    Soubry is basically an SDPer
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Who does the selecting?
    How long do they have to have been Oldham West members ?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    TGOHF said:

Who does the selecting?
    How long do they have to have been Oldham West members ?
    Outrageous that "Registered supporters" of the Labour Party in Oldham West won't get a say methinks. I'd demand my £3 back if I lived there. Enough for some chips and a night out on the tiles.
  • Options

That explains his numbers yesterday.

In reality these changes for GE2020 probably only tip 15-20 from Labour to Tory. Helpful to the Tories, but not exactly a total wipe-out for Labour.

The 20 or so Tories who will lose out will need sweeties of course, unless they're altruists.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015

In reality these changes for GE2020 probably only tip 15-20 from Labour to Tory. Helpful to the Tories, but not exactly a total wipe-out for Labour.

The 20 or so Tories who will lose out will need sweeties of course, unless they're altruists.

38 retired last time so it shouldn't be too hard to find winnable seats for most of those who might lose out.
  • Options

Makes the whip's job easier !
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

They do a mean hot chocolate
    If by 'mean' you mean horrible then you are correct.
  • Options

38 retired last time so it shouldn't be too hard to find winnable seats for most of those who might lose out.
    Or peerages. Two birds, one stone.
  • Options
    Any smart brains able to do an educated guess on GE2015 if:

(1) AV had gone through
    (2) We'd had 2-4 member STV constituencies, just for the lolz?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

notme said:

Hmm, Interesting. When I was CEO of a small company, admittedly some years ago, Gross Profit, according to our (chartered) accountants was sales plus stock in hand minus (invoice costs plus cost of good at start of the year)/. Overheads such as wages,rent, light, heat transport etc etc came out of the gross and the end product of GP - OH was Net Profit.
    In my day job I do the accounts for a small business (which then go to Chartered Accountants to finalise) and we definitely include labour costs as a part of COGS (and thus Gross Profit). My wages though are part of Overheads, a distinction is drawn between different labour categories. This is I believe standard practice, it is the practice in prior companies I have been involved in too.

Wikipedia (admittedly not a perfect source and too American) counts 'labor' as part of COGS: 'direct labour costs for workers who produce the products' (ie the Baristas in this conversation).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_goods_sold
  • Options
    In Catalonia it looks like the pro-independence parties are pushing ahead with plans for separation from Spain despite not winning a majority of the vote and despite most Catalans being opposed to UDI. The central government is vowing to use all judicial means to prevent them In the end that could mean seeking court orders to prevent Junts and CUP MPs from taking office. If these were granted they would then have to be enforced. That could get pretty tasty.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, tasty, or nasty?

If it goes as you indicate it may, would they reinforce the pro-independence sentiment by creating a siege mentality, or cause it to wither, do you think?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,548
    edited October 2015

(1) AV had gone through

I would guess for (1) Labour would have won approximately 30 more seats and the Liberal Democrats 20, mostly at the expense of the Conservatives. So we would have had a Parliament that was hung higher than Haman.

For (2) as we have very little data on that we can't be sure. However, given the way the swing in the marginals favoured the Conservatives it's hard not to believe that Labour would probably have picked up more seats particularly in suburban areas than they actually did. So for example, in Gloucestershire the Conservatives currently hold all six - under STV that would surely be three Tory, two Labour and one Liberal Democrat, given the Labour vote in Stroud, Dursley, Gloucester, Coleford and Cinderford. Here in Staffordshire, if Cannock, Lichfield, Tamworth and either South Staffordshire or Stafford were merged, Labour would definitely have one seat at least (probably two if it was Stafford). At the moment, they don't have any.

So Labour were definitely hit hard by the electoral system. The irony is though that had they implemented such a reform prior to 2005, they would have been considerably harder hit then!

EDIT - I haven't mentioned UKIP. They might have picked up a few seats under multi-member constituencies, but probably not many as I'm guessing they would rank low down on transfers. On AV, as I don't suppose they would have been many people's second choice ahead of the winning candidate, it's not difficult to imagine that they would have actually lost their only seat via Labour transfers to the Conservatives and have been left with precisely nothing.
  • Options

(1) AV had gone through

I would guess at an Owen Patterson led coalition between the Conservatives and UKIP.
  • Options
    @Philip_Thompson Ah, snap :) Are you a CIMA, CIPFA or ACCA man.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, tasty, or nasty?

If it goes as you indicate it may, would they reinforce the pro-independence sentiment by creating a siege mentality, or cause it to wither, do you think?

The Spanish constitution allows for an autonomous region's government to be suspended. That may well end up happening. The problem the Catalan independence side has is that right now most Catalans do not support independence, far less UDI. But what could change that is heavy-handedness from Madrid - something that the PP specialises in. They will lose their overall majority at the GE in December and may lose power if PSOE and Ciudadanos come to an arrangement (that looks slightly more likely than it did as far as I can tell). If nothing too drastic happens between now and the GE things will probably calm down next year. But a confrontation may well suit both sides.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,710
    edited October 2015
    The electoral reform society did a report and said

that under analternative vote system, where voters' preferences are reallocated until one candidate gets over 50%, the election result would be similar to that of 7 May, with the Conservatives winning 337 seats - an increase of six.

The research showed that under a single transferable vote (STV) system, similar to the kind currently used in Scottish local elections, the Conservatives would have won 276 seats (-55), Labour 236 (+4), the SNP 34 (-22), the Lib Dems 26 (+18), Plaid Cymru 3 (nc), UKIP 54 (+53) and the Greens 3 (+2)

http://electoral-reform.org.uk/press-release/report-launch-2015-general-election-voting-system-crisis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32954807
  • Options

1. Has Mr Bush actually modelled the effects of individual voter registration, or just mentioned it?
    2. There is also the impact of a major reduction in union political resources, cash and people, for the Labour campaign in 2020.
    Overall a triple whammy on top of the Corbyn effect.

• Options
    Proves what I've been saying for years AV is superior to FPTP
  • Options
    edited October 2015

that under analternative vote system, where voters' preferences are reallocated until one candidate gets over 50%, the election result would be similar to that of 7 May, with the Conservatives winning 337 seats - an increase of six.

The research showed that under a single transferable vote (STV) system, similar to the kind currently used in Scottish local elections, the Conservatives would have won 276 seats (-55), Labour 236 (+4), the SNP 34 (-22), the Lib Dems 26 (+18), Plaid Cymru 3 (nc), UKIP 54 (+53) and the Greens 3 (+2)

http://electoral-reform.org.uk/press-release/report-launch-2015-general-election-voting-system-crisis

Interesting. Especially surprising that Labour does so badly under both methods. You would have thought they would have picked up a fair number of second preferences, but apparently not. Of course, it is from the Electoral Reform Society.
  • Options
    ydoethur, my gut feel is that UKIP would have got a lot of seats from their 2nd places as they had a strong base of protest votes to build from. Much more likely to gain than LDs but I would like to see the models and happy to be proved wrong.
  • Options

ydoethur, my gut feel is that UKIP would have got a lot of seats from their 2nd places as they had a strong base of protest votes to build from. Much more likely to gain than LDs but I would like to see the models and happy to be proved wrong.

That's the problem, isn't it? We don't really have any models.

My impression based purely on personal experience round here was that those people who voted for UKIP voted for them because they liked what they were saying rather than as a protest. And that those people who did not like what they were saying, really, really hated it. So I was guessing that they would not actually get many second preferences and their own second preferences would not be used (or would go to some random nutjob party e.g. Yorkshire First).

Meanwhile, I thought the surviving Liberal Democrat voters and the Greens would break for Labour, which is why I am surprised TSE has found this report saying that Labour would still have done shockingly badly under other systems.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Interesting. Especially surprising that Labour does so badly under both methods. You would have thought they would have picked up a fair number of second preferences, but apparently not. Of course, it is from the Electoral Reform Society.
    Once I get my mojo back and start writing threads again, I will publish my thread on AV/electoral reform and we can consider that the definitive piece on how the election would have turned out under different voting systems.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

ydoethur said:

Once I get my mojo back and start writing threads again, I will publish my thread on AV/electoral reform and we can consider that the definitive piece on how the election would have turned out under different voting systems.
    Hhhmmm ....

The threads in the post ....

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, has Dr. Evil stolen it?
  • Options

She'd be a fantastic choice if she wasn't so rude and soaking wet.
    Might be best to rephrase that, always quite liked her but then again I am 60!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

Soubry is basically an SDPer
    You say it like its a bad thing!

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,710
    edited October 2015

Much worse. Writer's block. I struggled to write stuff recently, I checked and I've done over 200 pieces for PB this year so it might be I've hit my limit this year. I knew I had problems when recently I struggled to write a thread that was to troll the Kippers, normally I can do that in my sleep.

So have gone on a bit of a sabbatical and that should refresh me.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/further-education/11961342/College-principal-304000-payoff-may-be-tip-of-iceberg.html
    College principal £304,000 payoff 'may be tip of iceberg'
    A Scottish Parliament committee hears that other college principals were offered large exit deals similar to that given to John Doyle, the head of Coatbridge College.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

ydoethur said:

I think you have to bear in mind that the nature of the electoral system might well influence how people vote.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I get that with my blog (less often with book-writing, although it can be a bugger for short stories).

Perhaps you could leave that field fallow, and try harvesting another crop?

[Nice thing about having 'serious' and comedy writing is that when one seems difficult, the other can seem easy].
  • Options
    FPT, @Rcs
    I have a theory.

In a low interest rate environment, you need to have a bigger savings pot to ensure you are able to retire. Low interest rates can, therefore, encourage higher savings rates, and therefore have the opposite effect of what central bankers desire.
    I've certainly heard that suggested re China.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Pulpstar said:

notme said:

In my day job I do the accounts for a small business (which then go to Chartered Accountants to finalise) and we definitely include labour costs as a part of COGS (and thus Gross Profit). My wages though are part of Overheads, a distinction is drawn between different labour categories. This is I believe standard practice, it is the practice in prior companies I have been involved in too.

Wikipedia (admittedly not a perfect source and too American) counts 'labor' as part of COGS: 'direct labour costs for workers who produce the products' (ie the Baristas in this conversation).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_goods_sold

I understood that Gross profits did not include overheads such as salary... But, it is not my expertise...
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I get that with my blog (less often with book-writing, although it can be a bugger for short stories).

[Nice thing about having 'serious' and comedy writing is that when one seems difficult, the other can seem easy].

Thanks, I think it just that 2015 was an exceptional year, General election, Tory majority, Lib Dem wipeout, Ajockalypse Now, potential Grexit, the migrant crisis and the cherry on the parfait Labour choosing Corbyn, it might just be a come down from that.

A lot has happened this year, hard to keep up with it all.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Obviously a terrible misunderstanding. Kaufman clearly meant to say Israeli/Zionist and accidently said Jewish:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/659402929540104192
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,923

I think too many people forget that apart from a short period between 2007 and 2010, the SDP have run the Government since November 1990.

• Options
    Shock, not http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4598493.ece

Sepp Blatter: World Cup 2018 was going to Russia regardless of vote
  • Options
    stodge said:

I think too many people forget that apart from a short period between 2007 and 2010, the SDP have run the Government since November 1990.

2007-10 went well didn't it?
  • Options

Thanks, I think it just that 2015 was an exceptional year, General election, Tory majority, Lib Dem wipeout, Ajockalypse Now, potential Grexit, the migrant crisis and the cherry on the parfait Labour choosing Corbyn, it might just be a come down from that.

A lot has happened this year, hard to keep up with it all.
    It's a long way of being finished yet...
  • Options
    stodge said:

I still struggle to get my head around the fact that Chris Grayling is ex SDP.

Do you want him back ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,072

Much worse. Writer's block. I struggled to write stuff recently, I checked and I've done over 200 pieces for PB this year so it might be I've hit my limit this year. I knew I had problems when recently I struggled to write a thread that was to troll the Kippers, normally I can do that in my sleep.

So have gone on a bit of a sabbatical and that should refresh me.
    You're welcome

http://www.trainingandcourses.com/west-yorkshire/reading-and-writing-literacy-courses/qualification/study/all/default.html
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,923
    Evening all :)

I suspect the tax credits farrago will be quickly forgotten though not perhaps the Conservative reaction. It seems curious that when any group (the BBC, the Church, the Lords etc) tries to stand up to or argue against Conservative power, they are threatened with oblivion, destruction, abolition and extermination (not necessarily in that order).

It's curious for a supposedly democratic party to want to negate any and all forms of Opposition save that which is self-generated within its own ranks.

The Conservatives had a strong presence in the Lords after 1997 (probably a hundred more peers than they had MPs at the time, the same jibe they make about the LDs now) and even the 2015 Manifesto recognised the importance of the Lords as a forum for scrutiny.

If you undermine that scrutiny and remove the checks and balances in order to facilitate the passage of your legislation and remove Opposition, don't be surprised if that comes back to bite when you no longer have the power. It's foolish, short-sighted and petty to seek vindicative redress to those who seek to argue against you legitimately and who dare to point out the flaws in what is being proposed.