Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lords vote to delay, not kill, Osborne’s tax credits pl

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033
    Who is going to the drinkies on Thursday?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:
    Yes...it's been announced they will do it...but when. Last I heard the funding hadn't been worked out and the trade body were warning that it would be unlikely that nurseries could afford to provide the care.

Of course it only refers to 3 and 4 year olds...so no good if your child is under 3
    "No good it your child is under three".

I Am now convinced it doesn't mater what they do you will find a way to complain about it. How about having the baby when you can afford it and not expecting the rest of the population to constantly finance your life style choices from vagina to Varsity?
    It's really not my fault if this out of touch, cynical government keeps putting up ridiculous and unworkable policies under the guise of something else. It happens over and over...it's all about presentation and nothing about substance...all short term gimmicks that unravel when examined. Like the tax credits debacle. It was an unsubtle attack on the hard working poor...nothing else and they've been found out.
    Maybe so. The issue was created by the arch nemesis Brown. Just another mine in an ever expanding minefield this vicious man left for his successors. The situation is being addressed but it's not easy but welfare dependency in this country has been nothing short of ludicrous. People were trapped on welfare even those that wanted out of welfare. Someone has to break that circle and I thought Frank Field would have done that by taking the unthinkable. All he got we the sack.

This can has been kicked down the road for too long and whenever a change comes about someone tends to suffer. We just have to ensure there are enough caring people around to help them through the transition. I would be in favour of a transition period though it seems sensible in the circumstances but it's never ever going to be easy but it has to be done. The present situation just cannot sustain itself in the longer term.
    I would disagree with very little of that...a transitional period is what is required in order to allow those who have become dependent (through no fault of their own) to cope. Whatever people say on here I do not believe that low pay is a lifestyle choice - it's often a consequence of a poor educational background and /or misfortune. For example to penalise those who cannot work due to being a carer of a disabled child is frankly criminal. Likewise to condemn a generation of children to a childhood of poverty and hardship is both unfair and in the long term, economically self-defeating
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    chestnut said:
    In Scotland, despite the money being there and a fairly strong intention to deliver, the industry has found it very difficult to expand anywhere near fast enough. From memory, there is still a considerable shortfall in the level that has been delivered by the industry compared to what the Scottish Government has funded and wants to deliver.

As an industry with fairly low wages and very stiff Disclosure requirements it is not particularly ready to expand quickly.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

Osborne can live with a delay at the beginning of a five year parliament, then make some token concessions and pass the proposals, crucially he has avoided the total block the LDs proposed

It may not make any difference in practice - I suspect they will just completely abandon the Statutory Instrument anyway and put whatever they decide to do in a Welfare Bill / Finance Bill.
    However, that clause will then be scrutinised by the House of Commons. I am not sure there is a majority for that in the Commons, as it stands.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    surbiton said:

I agree with Mike. Labour should have voted for the Lib Dem amendment and killed the tax credit changes.

It could also have brought about, as a bonus, a serious constitutional issue regarding the Lords.

No. This move actually has a chance of helping people. The fatal motion would have been immediately reversed and helped noone.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

isam said:

Carswell/UKIP view on tax credits

http://www.talkcarswell.com/

What a decent, sensible man he is.

Field's proposal rewards those who work the least.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

Carswell/UKIP view on tax credits

"Where does UKIP stand on tax credit reform?

I'm supporting Frank Field's proposals on tax credit reform. Why?

Firstly, because Frank's proposals mean that we still get the changes to the tax credit system that we need.

Tax credits were introduced as a way of topping up the income of those on low pay. But it has ended up as an excuse for employers to pay people low wages – in the knowledge public money will be used to top it up. What started as a way of trying to help those on low incomes has become a system of corporate welfare. Big business gets the taxpayer to subsidise their payroll.

http://www.talkcarswell.com/

Has Carswell discussed the issue with Farage or has he made up his own policy?
    Oh he text me last night to say....

How the fuck would I know??!!
    Just that Carswell is not always following the party line!
    One person rebellion !
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320
    surbiton said:

I agree with Mike. Labour should have voted for the Lib Dem amendment and killed the tax credit changes.

It could also have brought about, as a bonus, a serious constitutional issue regarding the Lords.

That would not have killed the changes.

It would have killed the Statutory Instrument.

The Govt will probably abandon the SI anyway and instead bring the Tax Credit changes back in a Welfare Bill / Finance Bill.

So it makes no difference.
  • Options
    An interesting point from Mike L in previous thread was that it of the 45 new Conservative Lords 33 were not yet qualified to vote in tonight's divisions. If that is the case then surely in view of the majorities tonight the Conservatives have a good chance of winning in the Lords with the present number of peers once they are qualified
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:
    Yes...it's been announced they will do it...but when. Last I heard the funding hadn't been worked out and the trade body were warning that it would be unlikely that nurseries could afford to provide the care.

Of course it only refers to 3 and 4 year olds...so no good if your child is under 3

I Am now convinced it doesn't mater what they do you will find a way to complain about it. How about having the baby when you can afford it and not expecting the rest of the population to constantly finance your life style choices from vagina to Varsity?
    It's really not my fault if this out of touch, cynical government keeps putting up ridiculous and unworkable policies under the guise of something else. It happens over and over...it's all about presentation and nothing about substance...all short term gimmicks that unravel when examined. Like the tax credits debacle. It was an unsubtle attack on the hard working poor...nothing else and they've been found out.
    Can you explain why people should be incentivised to work only 16-18 hours per week?

Part time workers, I guess do it for reasons best known to themselves. Maybe they work when their kids are a school...or in the evening when their partners are home. I doubt when many are sophisticated enough to manage their hours in order to maximise their tax credits awards. The calculations are so bloody complicated it's virtually impossible
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216

Part time workers, I guess do it for reasons best known to themselves.

And yet we are always being told that there is serious underemployment in this country and that the unemployment statistics are misleading.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Can you explain why people should be incentivised to work only 16-18 hours per week?

Part time workers, I guess do it for reasons best known to themselves. Maybe they work when their kids are a school...or in the evening when their partners are home. I doubt when many are sophisticated enough to manage their hours in order to maximise their tax credits awards. The calculations are so bloody complicated it's virtually impossible
    It is a way of dodging the benefit cap. It's prevalent in London.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

Dadge said:

MikeL said:

What this also shows is that Con don't need another 100+ Con Peers - if they can get another 30 to 40 they'll be competitive in the Lords.

Cameron should be able to do that over the next 18 to 24 months in a low key way without any big bang announcement.

And it has been suggested that the House of Commons will pass legislation to prevent the Lords ever being able to pass judgement on any finance or welfare matters in the future
    What about legislation to stop governments in their first year going back on the policy platform they presented to the electorate? Saying one thing and doing another is hypocritical of course, but it's also electoral fraud.
    You missed the reduction of 12 billion in welfare then. Ok
    You missed Cameron's and Gove's denial that the Tax Credit will be cut then. Ok.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

It's really not my fault if this out of touch, cynical government ...nd nothing about substance...all short term gimmicks that unravel when examined. Like the tax credits debacle. It was an unsubtle attack on the hard working poor...nothing else and they've been found out.
    Maybe so. The issue was created by the arch nemesis Brown. Just another mine in an ever expanding minefield this vicious man left for his successors. The situation is being addressed but it's not easy but welfare dependency in this country has been nothing short of ludicrous. People were trapped on welfare even those that wanted out of welfare. Someone has to break that circle and I thought Frank Field would have done that by taking ...We just have to ensure there are enough caring people around to help them through the transition. I would be in favour of a transition period though it seems sensible in the circumstances but it's never ever going to be easy but it has to be done. The present situation just cannot sustain itself in the longer term.
    I would disagree with very little of that...a transitional period is what is required in order to allow those who have become dependent (through no fault of their own) to cope. Whatever people say on here I do not believe that low pay is a lifestyle choice - it's often a consequence of a poor educational background and /or misfortune. For example to penalise those who cannot work due to being a carer of a disabled child is frankly criminal. Likewise to condemn a generation of children to a childhood of poverty and hardship is both unfair and in the long term, economically self-defeating
    Condemning individuals to a lifetime of poverty and hardship via artificial caps on their productivity is actively unfair and self defeating.

I can't wait for the tax credit cuts to be passed in the next finance bill. Maybe you can go back to your somnolent state then...

• Options

An interesting point from Mike L in previous thread was that it of the 45 new Conservative Lords 33 were not yet qualified to vote in tonight's divisions. If that is the case then surely in view of the majorities tonight the Conservatives have a good chance of winning in the Lords with the present number of peers once they are qualified

No - the 45 new Peers are across all Parties:

26 Con
    11 LD
    8 Lab

12 could vote today:

10 Con
    1 LD
    1 Lab

So when all can vote the net position remains almost identical to tonight; ie

26-19 is almost identical to 10-2.

• Options
    MikeL said:

No - the 45 new Peers are across all Parties:

26 Con
    11 LD
    8 Lab

12 could vote today:

10 Con
    1 LD
    1 Lab

So when all can vote the net position remains almost identical to tonight; ie

26-19 is almost identical to 10-2.

Sorry I misunderstood you - thank you for clarifying the position
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

It's really not my fault if this out of touch, cynical government ...nd nothing about substance...all short term gimmicks that unravel when examined. Like the tax credits debacle. It was an unsubtle attack on the hard working poor...nothing else and they've been found out.
    out of welfare. Someone has to break that circle and I thought Frank Field would have done that by taking ...We just have to ensure there are enough caring people around to help them through the transition. I would be in favour of a transition period though it seems sensible in the circumstances but it's never ever going to be easy but it has to be done. The present situation just cannot sustain itself in the longer term.
    Condemning individuals to a lifetime of poverty and hardship via artificial caps on their productivity is actively unfair and self defeating.

I can't wait for the tax credit cuts to be passed in the next finance bill. Maybe you can go back to your somnolent state then...

You're advocating stronger unions powers to force employers to increase wages are you?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

MikeL said:

chestnut said:

There must be a reasonable chance that the benefit cap exemption that kicks in at 16 hours will be raised to require a higher minimum work threshold.

Which is itself a crazy provision.

If there is a benefit cap of £23,000 why should anyone be able to earn a salary AND then ON TOP claim benefits of more than £23,000?

The benefit cap should apply to everyone.
    I suspect that is coming, and has probably been accelerated by tonight.

When the public get wind of 276,000 families with four or more children drawing an average of £14,000 a year in tax credits in addition to housing benefit, child benefit etc, sympathy will soon run dry.
    That was not what the vote was about. It is about people earning 10 grand and less. Some as little as £3k.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Hahahaha. It is common knowledge that 16 hour cap - or as I know it as a self employed small business owner 'one days work' - is the most tax credit efficient set up. You cannot defend the state subsidy of low pay and 40-hour-shy.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

out of welfare. Someone has to break that circle and I thought Frank Field would have done that by taking ...I would be in favour of a transition period though it seems sensible in the circumstances but it's never ever going to be easy but it has to be done. The present situation just cannot sustain itself in the longer term.

You're advocating stronger unions powers to force employers to increase wages are you?
    No - I'm advocating that people who don't understand the way people on low incomes react to state handouts stop posting about them. And the reduction of state subsidised idleness.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

MikeL said:

chestnut said:

There must be a reasonable chance that the benefit cap exemption that kicks in at 16 hours will be raised to require a higher minimum work threshold.

Which is itself a crazy provision.

If there is a benefit cap of £23,000 why should anyone be able to earn a salary AND then ON TOP claim benefits of more than £23,000?

The benefit cap should apply to everyone.
    I suspect that is coming, and has probably been accelerated by tonight.

When the public get wind of 276,000 families with four or more children drawing an average of £14,000 a year in tax credits in addition to housing benefit, child benefit etc, sympathy will soon run dry.
    That was not what the vote was about. It is about people earning 10 grand and less. Some as little as £3k.
    Same people, same benefit.

Some of them may be among the 320,000 EU recipients, others among the 400,000 plus who come from outside the EU.

1m partners in the 1.7m couple households who don't do any work.

If the truth spills out on this, the whole thing is going to fall into massive disrepute.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Hahahaha. It is common knowledge that 16 hour cap - or as I know it as a self employed small business owner 'one days work' - is the most tax credit efficient set up. You cannot defend the state subsidy of low pay and 40-hour-shy.

I'm self employed too. So you think ALL part-timers are tax credit fiddlers. What an extraordinary world you operate in.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

The Shirkers know exactly how the system works.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465
    edited October 2015
    Interesting that Ritula Shah on R4 World Tonight just now, in her pre-amble, she said "....the unelected members of the House of Lords...."

Never heard the BBC describe the HoL in those terms....Cons narrative quite successful already.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

I'm self employed too. So you think ALL part-timers are tax credit fiddlers. What an extraordinary world you operate in.
    No - just people who work part time and rely on the hard work of those working full time to top up their pay. Not fair, won't last. Why are you so keen to defend the work shy?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

Roger said:

Most claimants seem to be either self employed or public service workers or women with children who can only work part time.

Yes Roger. Many are single women who can only work part time.

That's why they are doubling free childcare, so that they can work longer and end up with more money.

Does the reform - when you add in the extra free childcare - now make some sense?

It is designed to tackle under-employment and incentivise longer hours for a better net return.

A single mum on minimum wage working 16 hours is worse off under these changes if she stays on 16 hours. She hits green if she goes up to 19, and is £2,000 a year better off at 30.

Not only that, a single mum working 30 hours is more likely to achieve career progression than one working 16.

Voting against this is condemning these women to a trap where they are locked into a certain amount of work, welfare dependency and career stagnation.
    Tell me...when is the doubling of free childcare coming in?
    April 2016.
    http://www.itv.com/news/2015-08-26/doubling-free-child-care-is-unaffordable-nurseries-say/
    Cut the CTC then spend the taxpayers money paying someone else on minimum wage to look after the children of the first wown. Genius!
    The whole justification of the CTC cuts was to reduce spending...incidentally, my wife was a childminder once - the bureaucracy was crippling then and apparently far worse now

my wife was a childminder once

Was that until she thought you had grown up? How long before she changes her mind again? You're good on u-turns?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

It's ..nothing else and they've been found out.
    out of welfare. Someone has to break that circle and I thought Frank Field would have done that by taking ...I would be in favour of a transition period though it seems sensible in the circumstances but it's never ever going to be easy but it has to be done. The present situation just cannot sustain itself in the longer term.
    . For example to penalise those who cannot work due to being a carer of a disabled child is frankly criminal. Likewise to condemn a generation of children to a childhood of poverty and hardship is both unfair and in the long term, economically self-defeating

No - I'm advocating that people who don't understand the way people on low incomes react to state handouts stop posting about them. And the reduction of state subsidised idleness.
    And let me guess...you know a lot about tax credits and those who claim them don't you?You're a snobby little Tory who resents state handouts...unless, of course, you're in receipt of child benefit , or you're a wealthy pensioner receiving winter fuel payments, or inheritance cuts for millionaires who's wealth has been accumulated from sitting on their fat arses during a thirty year property boom
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Not surprising to hear that you are self employed.
    You've done well to locate the one person who'd give someone like you a job.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

Roger said:

Most claimants seem to be either self employed or public service workers or women with children who can only work part time.

That's why they are doubling free childcare, so that they can work longer and end up with more money.

Does the reform - when you add in the extra free childcare - now make some sense?

It is designed to tackle under-employment and incentivise longer hours for a better net return.

A single mum on minimum wage working 16 hours is worse off under these changes if she stays on 16 hours. She hits green if she goes up to 19, and is £2,000 a year better off at 30.

Not only that, a single mum working 30 hours is more likely to achieve career progression than one working 16.

Voting against this is condemning these women to a trap where they are locked into a certain amount of work, welfare dependency and career stagnation.
    April 2016.
    http://www.itv.com/news/2015-08-26/doubling-free-child-care-is-unaffordable-nurseries-say/
    Cut the CTC then spend the taxpayers money paying someone else on minimum wage to look after the children of the first wown. Genius!
    The whole justification of the CTC cuts was to reduce spending...incidentally, my wife was a childminder once - the bureaucracy was crippling then and apparently far worse now

Was that until she thought you had grown up? How long before she changes her mind again? You're good on u-turns?
    Oh, I've split my sides...You are soooo funny. What u-turns?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

ever going to be easy but it has to be done. The present situation just cannot sustain itself in the longer term.
    . For example to penalise those who cannot work due to being a carer of a disabled child is frankly criminal. Likewise to condemn a generation of children to a childhood of poverty and hardship is both unfair and in the long term, economically self-defeating

And let me guess...you know a lot about tax credits and those who claim them don't you?You're a snobby little Tory who resents state handouts...unless, of course, you're in receipt of child benefit , or you're a wealthy pensioner receiving winter fuel payments, or inheritance cuts for millionaires who's wealth has been accumulated from sitting on their fat arses during a thirty year property boom
    I agree. Fuelling the housing market bubble in such an abject and dangerous way is one of the greater crimes committed by Lab during their 13 years in office.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Let me guess; you work 16 hours a week, and milk the system.

Do you run a loss making nail bar?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Not surprising to hear that you are self employed.
    You've done well to locate the one person who'd give someone like you a job.
    Love it, Geoff...love you too xxxx
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

ever going to be easy but it has to be done. The present situation just cannot sustain itself in the longer term.

I agree. Fuelling the housing market bubble in such an abject and dangerous way is one of the greater crimes committed by Lab during their 13 years in office.
    I agree..but then again they didn;t give away £140,000 inheritance tax cuts to millionaires when at the same time as trying to reduce the deficit, did they?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,776
    Osborne walked straight into this. It's a (minor) personal humiliation for him but it will damage his leadership chances because a chunk of the parliamentary party will now have a question mark over his judgement.

I'm now a layer of him on Betfair.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Let me guess; you work 16 hours a week, and milk the system.

Do you run a loss making nail bar?
    Are you still smarting?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Master Strategist George, who spends all his days chortling in his bunker, so proud of himself, commits the schoolboy error of not listening and ends up losing a major vote less than six months into the Parliament.
    Overrated
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Remind us again - what financial sector did you say you worked in?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448
    TOPPING said:

Interesting that Ritula Shah on R4 World Tonight just now, in her pre-amble, she said "....the unelected members of the House of Lords...."

Never heard the BBC describe the HoL in those terms....Cons narrative quite successful already.

Excluding the hereditaries, then?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

I agree..but then again they didn;t give away £140,000 inheritance tax cuts to millionaires when at the same time as trying to reduce the deficit, did they?
    You are forgetting the aspiration that motivates millions of working people who, with the exception of the Cons and minor, fiscally inconsequential measures such as this, have no one giving them a sight of the sunlit uplands.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2015

[Snip bile]

resents state handouts...unless, of course, you're in receipt of. ... inheritance cuts for millionaires who's wealth has been accumulated from sitting on their fat arses during a thirty year property boom

Does that mean you are ok with inheritance tax* cuts for millionaries whose wealth has been accumulated by hard work and judicious investment?

* you missed this out, but I inferred you meant it...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The House of Lords have helped George Osborne enormously. He can now modify his plans and present it as a necessary response without u-turning.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

nsioner receiving winter fuel payments, or inheritance cuts for millionaires who's wealth has been accumulated from sitting on their fat arses during a thirty year property boom
    You are forgetting the aspiration that motivates millions of working people who, with the exception of the Cons and minor, fiscally inconsequential measures such as this, have no one giving them a sight of the sunlit uplands.
    "fiscally inconsequential"...it's just under £1 billion.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

Roger said:

April 2016.

Oh, I've split my sides...You are soooo funny. What u-turns?
    Got a baby sitter. Not got a baby sitter. Evidently in need of one again.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

nsioner receiving winter fuel payments, or inheritance cuts for millionaires who's wealth has been accumulated from sitting on their fat arses during a thirty year property boom
    You've got to have a dream.
  • Options
    Charles said:

[Snip bile]

resents state handouts...unless, of course, you're in receipt of. ... inheritance cuts for millionaires who's wealth has been accumulated from sitting on their fat arses during a thirty year property boom

Does that mean you are ok with inheritance tax* cuts for millionaries whose wealth has been accumulated by hard work and judicious investment?

Inheritance Tax is a justifiable tax to levy...gifting your wealth to a relative when you're alive attracts a CGT charge. Why should a £2 million family home be excluded from IHT
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dair said:

chestnut said:
    In Scotland, despite the money being there and a fairly strong intention to deliver, the industry has found it very difficult to expand anywhere near fast enough. From memory, there is still a considerable shortfall in the level that has been delivered by the industry compared to what the Scottish Government has funded and wants to deliver.

As an industry with fairly low wages and very stiff Disclosure requirements it is not particularly ready to expand quickly.
    One of the major problems is lack of suitable property for nursery care. Private nurseries fight tooth and nail to secure locations when they become available.
  • Options

Captain Sensible!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    antifrank said:

The House of Lords have helped George Osborne enormously. He can now modify his plans and present it as a necessary response without u-turning.

I thought that until Osborne released his statement
    Osborne said:

Tonight unelected Labour and Liberal lords have defeated a financial matter passed by the elected House of Commons and David Cameron and I are clear that this raises constitutional issues that need to be dealt with.

However, it has happened and now we must address the consequences of that. I said I would listen and that is precisely what I intend to do. I believe we can achieve the same goal of reforming tax credits, saving the money we need to save to secure our economy, while at the same time helping in the transition. That is what I intend to do at the autumn statement. I’m determined to deliver that lower welfare, higher wage economy that we were elected to deliver and that the British people want to see.

He's turned the story from a minor one of being delayed to a slightly less minor one of his sour grapes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Dream of fairness, old boy...dream of fairness
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    antifrank said:

@BBCAllegra: Yes... Senior Tories don't regard Hollis wording as binding. They will come forward with changes to tax credit plans, but their own changes
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    MikeL said:

The Tax Credit cuts can just be brought back in another form - so tonight doesn't actually decide anything on that front.

But what does matter is the effect on the Lords - remember the most important vote of this whole Parliament is the Lords vote on the Statutory Instrument for the Boundary changes in October 2018 - what has happened tonight must increase the chances of the Government winning that vote - either by appointing more Peers (not 100+ "Big Bang" but a few here and there "under the radar") or a change to Lords powers re Statutory Instruments.

Surely any change to the Lords' powers will have to be approved by the Lords themselves (which brings to mind turkeys and Christmas).

And I doubt the Queen's handlers would put her in the position of fixing the Lords by flooding it with unwarranted Tory peers - now that really WOULD be a constitutional crisis.
  • Options

Captain Sensible!

Are you stalking me Reggie? That's a bit weird...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,776
    antifrank said:

Disagree. Osborne has totally lost control of the presentation of the message on this.

He's a great political strategist and a fine mind but this is precisely why he'd make such a poor leader: he doesn't do human and just has a tin ear for empathy.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So the parties that lost the election, stop the elected government from reducing the deficit that the electorate asked it to do.

Hmmmmm.

• Options
    edited October 2015

So the parties that lost the election, stop the elected government from reducing the deficit that the electorate asked it to do.

Hmmmmm.

But the Tories were elected on the basis that they would protect "hard workers", not on the basis that they'd cut poor workers' incomes.
  • Options

Charles said:

[Snip bile]

Inheritance Tax is a justifiable tax to levy...gifting your wealth to a relative when you're alive attracts a CGT charge. Why should a £2 million family home be excluded from IHT
    Because (a) it is double taxation and (b) because it can force the sale of family homes and businesses.

(For a bit of context, my family was forced to surrender our home and garden because of inheritance tax, so it's a rather sore topic)
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    The inference of the news programmes is that No10 and No 11 see this as a serious rift and having been a convention there is no longer one. They also inferred that something will be done.

That theres fightin' talk.......
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Danny565 said:

But the Tories were elected on the basis that they would protect "hard workers", not on the basis that they'd cut poor workers' incomes.
    The Tories were elected as a result of our broken voting system. So they came into office. OK.

But they could not even attract the support of even 25% of the registered electorate, so they have no mandate to do anything.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

antifrank said:

Disagree. Osborne has totally lost control of the presentation of the message on this.

He's a great political strategist and a fine mind but this is precisely why he'd make such a poor leader: he doesn't do human and just has a tin ear for empathy.
    There is a case to make that Cons tried to implement the cuts as per their electoral mandate, they then realised in so doing the harm it would cause, and therefore will agree to amend.

Cons look ok here but it is a very tortured argument.

We don't have the senior, sensible tier of opposition to say that whatever the bill actually contained the same response would have resulted, but some pretty sensible Lab folk were pretty shocked by the contents. Some pretty sensible Cons also.

So I am forced to agree with you that it was a mis-step. I have long since believed GO will never be PM, it's just not his thing, and this further confirms me in my belief of that. Was he greedy? Did he think no one would notice? Does he not care (the most damaging of charges, ofc)?

(He also fails by a country mile the "politician you'd be happy to go to the pub with" test.)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

[Snip bile]

Because (a) it is double taxation and (b) because it can force the sale of family homes and businesses.

(For a bit of context, my family was forced to surrender our home and garden because of inheritance tax, so it's a rather sore topic)
    In what way is it double taxation?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

The inference of the news programmes is that No10 and No 11 see this as a serious rift and having been a convention there is no longer one. They also inferred that something will be done.

But again, no matter how much "fighting talk" the Tories put out, they can't clip the Lords' wings unless the Lords vote for it.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Hmmmmm.

Is 16 hours a week 'hard work'?

Can of worms.
  • Options

antifrank said:

He'd lost control of the message before now. Given where he is now, this was helpful.

I agree about the tin ear. I think he might too. I don't think he wants to be leader. He looks trapped into running by David Cameron's decision to stand down.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

[Snip bile]

Double taxation? Are you using the phrase in some exciting new way?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Hmmmmm.

Can of worms.
    16 hours a week, plus Tax Credit bung = Shirker.
  • Options

Hmmmmm.

The Bastards.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

But again, no matter how much "fighting talk" the Tories put out, they can't clip the Lords' wings unless the Lords vote for it.
    That's not exactly true.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

That's not exactly true.
    Go on.
  • Options
    Dafydd Foster Evans ‏@pererinza 3h3 hours ago
    @stephenkb Isn't 'constitutional crisis' code of 'I'm having a strop coz I didn't get my way'?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Interesting development to the little girl who was in one of the most famous war photos of the last century.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/26/girl-in-the-napalm-picture-during-vietnam-war-gets-free-laser-surgery-5461899/
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

That's not exactly true.
    Go on.
    Parliament Act 1949 is the precedent.
  • Options
    Angela Rayner MPVerified account ‏@AngelaRayner 28 mins28 minutes ago
    Tories wanted to get Tax Credits Cuts through the Lords that much they flew Andrew LIoyd Webber back from the states to vote, what a sham!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

Yes they can - may take a while but they will use the Parliament Act if necessary
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

Cameron can go down the route of appointing more Con peers - that doesn't require anyone's vote.

Remember he doesn't need that many - he only lost the Hollis vote by 17 votes.

Forget all the talk of appointing 100+. He doesn't need anything like that many.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

That's not exactly true.
    Go on.
    Did the Act itself not have to be passed by the Lords? (Genuine question)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

There's always the Parliament Act.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

That's not exactly true.
    Go on.
    No - it is used to demonstrate the Commons ultimately has democratic power over the unelected House of Lords
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    edited October 2015
    Osborne's screwed up again then?

Osborne becoming Con leader is how Labour will get back in the game - He'll be a disaster (Course they have to rid themselves of Jezza as well)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

That's not exactly true.
    Go on.
    No, it wasn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Blair used the Parliament Act to get the Hunting Ban on the statute books without Lords support.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    edited October 2015
    Quick, find some way blame it on the SNP.

Gidiot is in the altogether now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Osborne becoming Con leader is how Labour will get back in the game - He'll be a disaster (Course they have to rid themselves of Jezza as well)

You write Osborne off at your peril. He rebounded from the pasty tax and if, and I agree it's a big if, he succeeds in devolving power to the regions and is
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

You write Osborne off at your peril. He rebounded from the pasty tax and if, and I agree it's a big if, he succeeds in devolving power to the regions and is successful in improving everyone's incomes he will still have a chance of being PM. However post the referendum and circa 2019 there will be several candidates, some of whom are still developing their careers. Also if Corbyn's still labour leader it doesn't really matter because voters will not elect a hard left party

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Pulpstar said:

notme said:

It is low because there is no shortage of people willing to do it.

I guess that's true - I find it surprising that so many people wish to literally clear up other people's shit though. I'd much rather be an anonymous shelf stacker in Tesco if I had to choose a low wage job.
    Which is why so many care home workers come from Eastern Europe. Looking after the elderly is more valued in socially conservative societies.
    That's those Bulgarians and Romanians who are disrupting our culture by flooding in with their alien values, right?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Hmmmmm.

Can of worms.
    That's the main issue here. We have reached the insane point where a welfare payment is now regarded as legitimate "income" . It's not what welfare is for and in present form is completely unsustainable.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629
    I'm not really certain that Osborne has 'lost control of the message' here. I don't think he's that stupid. The Tories have never softened the PR blow of their 'cuts', in fact they've more often than not overstated them. It's not Osborne is some miserly Victorian who is so parsimonious with tax payers money that he really wants to save that £3.5billion it would take to phases these measures in (mores the pity). This Government is one of the most profligate in history.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

[Snip bile]

Because the assets have been accumulated out of income (taxed) and are transferred not through choice, but as a result of death.
  • Options
    A 24-year-old who claimed benefits for two years said it was the government's fault he remained unemployed.
    Daniel Shaw from Manchester said it's 'ridiculous' how much money he was getting in handouts - £16,000 a year - and it made him less inclined to seek full-time work.
    He was even forced to survive on food banks after he gambled his entire handout away in a casino.
    'As it stands I am earning more now than someone on minimum wage in a shop,' he told Channel 5 documentary Benefits, which airs this evening.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3286037/Jobless-man-used-food-bank-blowing-benefits-casino-blames-government-giving-ridiculous-money-one-go.html#ixzz3pifj6F6c
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

[Snip bile]

Because the assets have been accumulated out of income (taxed) and are transferred not through choice, but as a result of death.
    It's double taxation even if it's transferred through choice.
    My (already taxed) money - I should be free to give it away if I wish.
  • Options

Captain Sensible!

Are you stalking me Reggie? That's a bit weird...

Why would I possibly want to stalk someone who separately represents himself as both a financial engineer and self employed, and who constantly rants against those wicked individuals who present representative views emanating from such posters? Answers on a postcard please.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Hmmmmm.

Can of worms.
    That's the main issue here. We have reached the insane point where a welfare payment is now regarded as legitimate "income" . It's not what welfare is for and in present form is completely unsustainable.
    Absolutely, most definitely, quite
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629
    GIN1138 said:

I feel this is the nub of the issue. Labour will get rid of Jezza and get back in the game. Same old Tory Labour Tory Labour metronome will get back on track. The debate will focus on whether to grossly overspend or overspend grossly. No real choice, country will continue to circle the plughole.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @PClipp

'The Tories were elected as a result of our broken voting system. So they came into office. OK.

But they could not even attract the support of even 25% of the registered electorate, so they have no mandate to do anything.'

Strange that less than 5 years ago the electorate voted overwhelmingly to keep 'our broken voting system'
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@PClipp

'The Tories were elected as a result of our broken voting system. So they came into office. OK.

But they could not even attract the support of even 25% of the registered electorate, so they have no mandate to do anything.'

Strange that less than 5 years ago the electorate voted overwhelmingly to keep 'our broken voting system'

Odd also that those making the most noise about this now seemed very quiet in the Blair / Brown years in similar situations.
    Brown indeed never actually stood and won an election so had zero mandate. The Tories had Major of course in a similar position but at least he stood and won an election on his own merit so had full legitimacy.
  • Options
    A disgraceful insult to democracy

Chewbacca Arrested During Ukraine Elections
    The Wookiee is handcuffed and detained after supporting Darth Vader's bid to be elected as Mayor of Odessa.

http://news.sky.com/story/1576229/chewbacca-arrested-during-ukraine-elections
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

[Snip bile]

It's double taxation even if it's transferred through choice.
    My (already taxed) money - I should be free to give it away if I wish.
    Ironically, as a Tory and as a believer of capitalism, you should argue for the opposite. Tax on earned income [ the one you work for ] should be less and tax on unearned income should be high.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Wolverhampton is the most unhappiest place in Britain according to the Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6710966/Wolverhampton-the-unhappiest-place-in-Britain.html
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I feel this is the nub of the issue. Labour will get rid of Jezza and get back in the game. Same old Tory Labour Tory Labour metronome will get back on track. The debate will focus on whether to grossly overspend or overspend grossly. No real choice, country will continue to circle the plughole.
    A valid observation but what is the alternative? Please don't say LibDem.
  • Options

Angela Rayner MPVerified account ‏@AngelaRayner 28 mins28 minutes ago
    Tories wanted to get Tax Credits Cuts through the Lords that much they flew Andrew LIoyd Webber back from the states to vote, what a sham!

Multi-millionaire votes to deny £1300 to working single mum. What a bar[steward].
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

Hmmmmm.

Can of worms.
    To qualify for job seekers allowance, you have either to be unemployed or work less than 16 hours a week. Guess what many do ?

They don't have smart [overpaid] accountants either.