Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank says Corbyn’s strategy is – “We only have to be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank says Corbyn’s strategy is – “We only have to be lucky once”

Few political leaders can have made such an immediate impact as Jeremy Corbyn.  Much of that impact has generated bemusement and hostility.  His actions suggest a man who has quite different aims from a conventional leader.  In his speeches since he has been elected, he has not mentioned Labour’s election defeat.  He has not courted the media.  He has not made an appeal to floating voters.  And a…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,646
    edited October 2015
    First.

Tachinid Corbynistas.

Classic strategy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Second. We can only hope the Liberals take their rightful place again as the opposition. Back to the good old days of Tories v Liberals :D
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Interesting analysis - but how long will his deputy survive? The 'Murdoch Press' (aka Daily Telegraph & Daily Mail') have come out all guns blazing - even the Guardian is offering only qualified support - Charles Moore in trenchant form:

Since Lord Brittan is now dead and the case is crumbling, Mr Watson has no right any longer to hide behind the police. He either has to tell the world why he thinks as he does and prove his point; or, if he no longer believes his “witnesses”, he should admit his error. Then he should accept that he abused his position to repeat, without good cause, some of the most disgusting things that can ever be said about anyone. Then he should admit that he is unfit to hold public office.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11923196/Tom-Watson-must-prove-his-point-or-admit-he-is-unfit-for-public-office.html#disqus_thread
  • Options
    Does your last sentence, Antifrank, imply that a Corbyn government would stage a coup d'état to abolish Parliamentary democracy?

We already know that the Army will move first to remove them :o
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Surely until fairly late in his campaign Corbyn didn’t EXPECT to win. He hoped to, obviously,otherwise he wouldn’t have stood, but did he originally stand with realistic thoughts of wiming, or of just making a good fist of it; showing that the Left was a significant factor in thre Labour Party. He didn’t expect to have to worry about the nuts and bolts of either the Party or it;s policies.

Then he won!

At the moment he rather reminds me of the Roger McGough poem

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"
  • Options

Surely until fairly late in his campaign Corbyn didn’t EXPECT to win. He hoped to, obviously,otherwise he wouldn’t have stood, but did he originally stand with realistic thoughts of wiming, or of just making a good fist of it; showing that the Left was a significant factor in thre Labour Party. He didn’t expect to have to worry about the nuts and bolts of either the Party or it;s policies.

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

The thing to remember about Corbyn's election is that he stood at the right time. His Party's membership had had a chance to digest the implications of 13 years in office continuously, never known before, and discovered that, so far as they were concerned, it meant they'd turned into Tory-lite. They prefer oppositionism.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited October 2015
    This is all very true. However, you only have to make one simple point to see the flaw in Corbyn's plan - it presupposes Labour will remain the official opposition. If it continues to behave as it has in the last few weeks, the odds of that happening are no better than even. People do not vote for split parties led by total lunatics. Moreover, there is of course the serious possibility that if one of Cameron's other big political reforms gets through - the cap on trade union funding - the Labour party could go bankrupt.

Although it is behaving like a bunch of Seventh Day Adventists fired with the zeal of the Holy Spirit, Labour's right to exist is not God-given. If Corbyn's leadership destroys them, and if the Conservative leadership behaves more sensibly than Thatcher did in the late 1980s, there is no reason why the Conservatives cannot remain in power beyond 2030.

It would of course be a very bad government indeed by the end (not that it's the greatest government of all time at the moment) but that's a different problem.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Antifrank,

Unfortunately, your analysis makes a lot of sense. A real danger for the Labour party - but of their own doing.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Charles Moore is correct. Watson is not someone to be trusted.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

The thing to remember about Corbyn's election is that he stood at the right time. His Party's membership had had a chance to digest the implications of 13 years in office continuously, never known before, and discovered that, so far as they were concerned, it meant they'd turned into Tory-lite. They prefer oppositionism.

I'd agree with that.

I think the problem is that there are a great many Labour activists who like to think of themselves as The Good Guys, who only ever act from the highest motives. And from my personal experience, a lot of them are people genuinely fired by a desire to improve the lot of ordinary people and enraged by the injustices they see in the world.

However, when you deal with the messy realities of government, you sometimes have to do things that are not very good, because the alternatives are even worse. That doesn't worry Tories, who pride themselves on their pragmatism and sense of duty, which allows them to take those decisions however painful without psychological scarring. But for Labour members, it damages their image of themselves and causes them actual trauma. I don't think the increasing radicalisation and violence of the Left since the days of Blair is any coincidence - I think it's an attempt to prove to themselves that they are still the Good People and their enemies are the Bad People (spot the irony there)!

So opposition is a lot more comfortable for them than government, because you can carp, but not have to do anything that sullies your sense of self-worth. The only snag is, it means you can't do anything good for the people you want to help either - and that's something Labour appears unwilling to deal with at the moment.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

What you miss is the "Tory-lite" party had just lost its second election in a row. Those 13 years in office were (or will have been) followed by 10 straight years in opposition.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    ydoethur said:

I think the problem is that there are a great many Labour activists who like to think of themselves as The Good Guys, who only ever act from the highest motives. And from my personal experience, a lot of them are people genuinely fired by a desire to improve the lot of ordinary people and enraged by the injustices they see in the world.

I actually feel a little sorry for them. I don't doubt their sincerity, but unfortunately they've put their trust into Corbyn. I've been a quite bullish on Facebook the last few weeks by pointing out the inconvenient truths about the Corbyn, McDonnell and now Watson. As ever, the tribal nature of politics takes over, and ordinarily reasonable - if a little naïve - people defend the indefensible.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2015
    The problem for the left is that this strategy is a very high risk strategy, like playing Texas Hold Em poker without even looking at your own cards.

For every election defeat that Labour suffers/the Tories win the country will move further to the right, then the centre of politics will move to the right. In this Parliament we are already seeing changes such as the tax credit reforms, changes to union legislation, privatisations etc - these will continue for five years and be the "new normal" in five years time.

If Labour lose again next time and Corbyn retires (as he'd have to) but a Corbynite takes over in 2020 then the Hard Left still have control of Labour but the Tories still have control of government. There will be five more years of reforms by Osborne, May or whoever else wins the leadership. The "new normal" at the time of the 2025 election will not be like the normal of today.

Ultimately even if a Hard Left party 'gets lucky once' the party won't just have to make changes from today's status quo but the status quo of the future - while abandoning and attempt at governing the country between now and then.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    It 's a good plan, but if Labour slip backwards in 2020, they may never be in a position to win an election on a hard-left agenda.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good Morning PBers Worldwide.

I haven't gone away you know ....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It 's a good plan, but if Labour slip backwards in 2020, they may never be in a position to win an election on a hard-left agenda.

Does anyone here expect Labour to win more seats next time than last?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Good morning, everyone.

Good post, Mr. Antifrank.

Mr. D, nice idea but:
    1) There isn't a Liberal Party [ok, there is, but it's tiny]
    2) The Lib Dems have fewer than 10 seats
    3) Labour has over 200 seats

For Labour to fail, a replacement party needs to arise.

The Greens and Lib Dems are too small. UKIP has a history of stupid electoral strategies coupled with a leader who's made himself look a damned fool. The SNP are already in a dominant position in the constituencies they'll contest.

If all disaffected leftwingers jumped one way, that could give the Lib Dems or UKIP a critical advantage, but as I imagine left voters will split between various parties and just not voting it's hard to see a challenger to Labour's status as official opposition party.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited October 2015
    Momentum, People's QE and Citizen's wotsists all feel so familiar. Not here, but in the old communist countries.

We listen to the people and march forward together. If they have inconvenient opinions, it's because the capitalist pigdogs have been force-feeding them propaganda. Education is the panacea. Education to remove false consciousness.

I suppose most of the Jezbollah are young. Marxism is an interesting concept - it's never been tried before, so why not give it a go? Capitalism is so last century, whenever that was.

They'll gradually become disillusioned, learn from it and move on. And Jezza will remain with a few acolytes, the nutter on the bus baying at the moon.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Good grief.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Sean_F said:

Yes - John Macdonnell and Diane Abbott. Unfortunately, nobody who has some dim understanding of politics or reality agrees with them.

EDIT - sorry, I've read your comment again and I see I misunderstood. I would think that probably 2-3 very left-wing posters (no names, no pack drill) do, and have convinced themselves that our doubts are the function of fear and panic. But the truth is, that's them wishfully thinking that PB is still more unrepresentative of the country than Labour list - which it isn't.
  • Options

I don't think he even hoped to win when he started. I seem to recall from memory Diane Abbott at one stage saying to Andrew Neill "well of course he won't win" which quickly was rowed back once it shockingly looked like he might. He was not there to win, he was there to lose with honour, remind the party that the left existed and maybe extract something from Burnham in exchange for his transfers once eliminated.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Yes - John Macdonnell and Diane Abbott. Unfortunately, nobody who has some dim understanding of politics or reality agrees with them.
    I didn't realise they were Peebies. :)

• Options

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

What you miss is the "Tory-lite" party had just lost its second election in a row. Those 13 years in office were (or will have been) followed by 10 straight years in opposition.
    So Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown are Tories now?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Alas no, they do not avail themselves of our great wisdom, knowledge and in the case of JackW, vast experience. If only they did, Labour Majority in 2020 would be nailed on!

(On a serious note, see correction above.)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

They can't have been, they lost the election ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

You may have missed that I was quoting the previous post, but certainly Gordon Brown was and always had been on the right of the party.

The point is that saying veering to the right guarantees electoral success is no longer convincing after two defeats in a row.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Alas no, they do not avail themselves of our great wisdom, knowledge and in the case of JackW, vast experience. If only they did, Labour Majority in 2020 would be nailed on!

JackW works for GCHQ and knows the election results til October 2031.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Psalm 90:10.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

But can he control our smartphones?

(If so, could he please let me know how to control mine?)
  • Options
    Mr. L, not sure Miliband's problem was veering right.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

You may have missed that I was quoting the previous post, but certainly Gordon Brown was and always had been on the right of the party.

The point is that saying veering to the right guarantees electoral success is no longer convincing after two defeats in a row.
    Sick of people calling good Labour folk Tories.

And Labour has moved to the left since it last won an election. It has certainly not "veered to the right".
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

But that's not unusual for any party - got nowt to do with being centre-right. The system works best when governments alternate every 10-15 years or so.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Miliband's problem was assuming he'd inherit a win if he kept the party quiet for five years. The 2015 defeat had nothing to do with policy, left or right.

The point however is that if Labour's right (or centrists, modernisers or whatever you want to call them) wish to regain control, they need to understand that having just lost two elections is not a convincing argument to those who voted for Corbyn.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If I'm right in my proposition, what should the Labour right do next?

I still don't think they've realised just how completely they're screwed after the leadership election result.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    "Once the hard government reach government, they will need no further luck."

They might not. But the rest of us will.

Good article, Antifrank.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I still don't think they've realised just how completely they're screwed after the leadership election result.

How about singing Abide With Me?
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, dither, wibble, whine, drink.

Beat their breasts, gnash their teeth, flog their backs and wail lamentations of unending woe.

I exaggerate for comic effect, but it really was stupid for them, and bad for British democracy.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

JackW is the real M. He has Q working on a new Corbyn pie recipe - reheated leftovers in a flaky pastry.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

The suggestion is that being on the right of the party is a necessary but insufficient condition for electoral success.

Though Brown increasing spending by 50% in real terms was not to the right of the country, not was Ed "no we didn't spend too much" Miliband.
  • Options
    More seriously, arguably the only real chance Labour have is a major scandal involving Corbyn, Macdonnell, Eagle or Watson, which discredits the leadership en bloc and allows the PLP to revolt and take back the leadership by force. There are two obvious snags: (1) it's hard to think of a scandal bad enough to do that, given what three of them at least have already shrugged off and (2) a scandal that bad would surely damage the Labour party still further even if in the long run it were to prove its salvation (Mark Oaten anybody)?

There are times when there is nothing to be done. I think this is one of those times. Unless Corbyn dies in the next year or so, or becomes so ill he cannot continue - and that's certainly not something I think anyone in the Labour party would arrange - I think they are stuck in the situation you describe.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Computer says :

Jeremy Corbyn Will Never Be First Lord Of The Treasury

• Options

Miliband's problem was assuming he'd inherit a win if he kept the party quiet for five years. The 2015 defeat had nothing to do with policy, left or right.

The point however is that if Labour's right (or centrists, modernisers or whatever you want to call them) wish to regain control, they need to understand that having just lost two elections is not a convincing argument to those who voted for Corbyn.
    They didn't lose an election, if you seriously think Ed "No we didn't spend too much" Miliband is to the right then you have a lot to learn.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, if Alexander could win at Arbela, and Hannibal could traverse the Alps, Labour could oust Corbyn.

They won't. But it's not impossible, or wouldn't be, had they the nerve, the guts and the wits. But they'll dither and pretend they're biding their time for opportunity whilst every scrap of power they still retain is drained away.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If you're right and Labour are a lost cause then they need to form an SDP style party. It may be best to try and wrest back control of Labour either during this Parliament or after a 2020 electoral defeat but if come 2021 Corbynites are still in charge then an SDP will become necessary.

The Lib Dems are deceased and will not take over without a Labour schism. Which seems to be what the Corbynites seem to want by being so vitriolic with "red Tories" like Kendall.
  • Options

Mr. Antifrank, dither, wibble, whine, drink.

Beat their breasts, gnash their teeth, flog their backs and wail lamentations of unending woe.

I agree - harsh but true of the England rugby team.

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    It seems to me that the Union funding issue is an interesting dilemma, politically, for the Tories, because there is a reasonable argument that they represent a potential salvation to the electability of the Labour Party. I imagine that many on the right of the Labour Party might secretly be strongly in favour of proposed changes. To a lesser extent the same is possibly even true of other Union reforms - if they were to genuinely lead to an increase in participation from the largely passive union membership.

- a Labour party with less dependence on Union funding = more electable
    - Unions with greater democratic mandates for their actions = more powerful and likely to generate more public support
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. W, don't be silly. If I were writing of them I would've added references to ruinous indifference and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edited extra bit: indiscipline, not indifference.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    Labour's main problems in 2010 were that the government was tired with no new ideas, and the fact they were led by an uninspiring, clumsy politician.

Labour's main problems in 2015 were that the party leadership had a series of disjointed, sometimes inconsistent policies that did not appeal to the majority of the public, and they were led by a man who was a nice guy, but a very poor leader.

Neither problem was strictly one of positioning to the left or right. The problems were fundamentally of poor leadership and (with one or two exceptions) terrible leadership teams.

This gives a little hope to Corbyn. If (and it is a big if) he can get together a set of consistent policies that can be sold by a first-rate media-savvy team, then he could beat a government that still has to make hard choices and will have uncertain leadership.

The problems Labour faces are that Corbyn himself is easy to caricature and ridicule (as Labour unsuccessfully tried to do themselves with Cameron), and his current leadership team is as far from media-savvy as it is possible to get.

They need to sell their policies to the people. Corbyn and McDonnell are not the people to do that, and I cannot see anyone else in their team who can. Who is Labour's hard-left Campbell? Who is their hard-left Mandelson?
  • Options
    F1: that's convenient, the qualifying programme (BBC1) finishes just before the Scottish kick-off.

Confident the Scots will thrash the Samoans. It'll be a glorious victory for the North British!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

The suggestion is that being on the right of the party is a necessary but insufficient condition for electoral success.

Though Brown increasing spending by 50% in real terms was not to the right of the country, not was Ed "no we didn't spend too much" Miliband.
    Public spending has hovered around 40 per cent of GDP since the 1960s.

Labour did not spend too much. Miliband's error was in not providing evidence for the rest of the audience -- rather, he just said "no" as if he were an eminent academic whose lecture had been interrupted by a question from a particularly dim student.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

JackW is the real M. He has Q working on a new Corbyn pie recipe - reheated leftovers in a flaky pastry.
    We're having difficulty with the Jezza half baked recipes as we fear the consumers will find the product unfit for voter consumption.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Agree with that. Three things they need to do:-

1. Lose the sense of entitlement. They need to stop behaving as if Corbyn et al are the usurpers and as if the right are the true Labour rulers. They need to learn how to persuade people again.

2. Go away and do some hard thinking about what a sensible social democratic/left of centre party looks like and come up with ideas.

3. Get some courage and be prepared to argue for their ideas. And argue for them not just because they may be electorally popular but because they are right and better ideas than those offered by Corbyn. And be prepared to face down accusations of splitting the party. The argument will need to be had. Better for it to be had now and out in the open so that voters - those sympathetic to decent Labour (the SOs of this world) - can see that there is some point hanging on.

The last thing the right should do is to try and win back power through back room coups. They need to defeat the poisonous ideas of the Left represented by Corbyn, drive a stake through them and make sure they never get traction again.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

Labour did not spend too much. Miliband's error was in not providing evidence for the rest of the audience -- rather, he just said "no" as if he were an eminent academic whose lecture had been interrupted by a question from a particularly dim student.
    Public spending went from 34.6% in 2000 up to 47.3% and that's "hovering" in your eyes?

Miliband's error was being wrong. Labour were running a major deficit during growth before the recession - the result when the recession hit was inevitable. If you're running a deficit in growth then cyclical spending factors mean the deficit will blow out of control in the next bust.

Of course Ed and Gordon delusionally believed they had eliminated boom and bust. They were wrong.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

1. Lose the sense of entitlement. They need to stop behaving as if Corbyn et al are the usurpers and as if the right are the true Labour rulers. They need to learn how to persuade people again.

2. Go away and do some hard thinking about what a sensible social democratic/left of centre party looks like and come up with ideas.

3. Get some courage and be prepared to argue for their ideas. And argue for them not just because they may be electorally popular but because they are right and better ideas than those offered by Corbyn. And be prepared to face down accusations of splitting the party. The argument will need to be had. Better for it to be had now and out in the open so that voters - those sympathetic to decent Labour (the SOs of this world) - can see that there is some point hanging on.

The last thing the right should do is to try and win back power through back room coups. They need to defeat the poisonous ideas of the Left represented by Corbyn, drive a stake through them and make sure they never get traction again.

On the one hand you talk about rational argument, but then you talk about poison and images of vampires.
  • Options

Labour's main problems in 2010 were that the government was tired with no new ideas, and the fact they were led by an uninspiring, clumsy politician.

Labour's main problems in 2015 were that the party leadership had a series of disjointed, sometimes inconsistent policies that did not appeal to the majority of the public, and they were led by a man who was a nice guy, but a very poor leader.

Neither problem was strictly one of positioning to the left or right. The problems were fundamentally of poor leadership and (with one or two exceptions) terrible leadership teams.

This gives a little hope to Corbyn. If (and it is a big if) he can get together a set of consistent policies that can be sold by a first-rate media-savvy team, then he could beat a government that still has to make hard choices and will have uncertain leadership.

The problems Labour faces are that Corbyn himself is easy to caricature and ridicule (as Labour unsuccessfully tried to do themselves with Cameron), and his current leadership team is as far from media-savvy as it is possible to get.

They need to sell their policies to the people. Corbyn and McDonnell are not the people to do that, and I cannot see anyone else in their team who can. Who is Labour's hard-left Campbell? Who is their hard-left Mandelson?

It has been said Corbyn has recruited experienced hands from Ken Livingstone's old mayoral team. If so, that might be your answer.
  • Options
    Labour need to wait to depose Corbyn, unless they want to stay out of power until 2025. Dire results in May ought to be enough to destroy him, before he destroys the party.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Carlotta

"Then he should accept that he abused his position to repeat, without good cause, some of the most disgusting things that can ever be said about anyone. Then he should admit that he is unfit to hold public office."

I agree with Charles Moore. The problem with McCarthyism is that it encourages sleazeballs. Certainly Tom Watson should resign but not only him. This whole episode has been manna from heaven for publicity seekers like him and there are many more victims than Leon Brittan.

Oleaginous creatures like Watson have always existed but the real blame lies with the DPP and the police and our only too willing press. I look forward to a time when all the "McCarthy's" are exposed and this shameful episode in our history is ended for good.
  • Options
    Breaking: explosion in Ankara:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34495161
  • Options
    BBC flagging up a blast in Anakara. No details on website.
  • Options
    What's so "hard" about the left?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    "Once the hard left reach government, they will need no further luck."
    Antifrank, it's a good article and one with which I mostly agree. However the "We only have to be lucky once" suggestion indicates that you think a hard left government would be the end of our democracy (please correct me if I've misinterpreted you).
    I think that Corbyn, and before him Foot and Benn, are democrats. If he gets elected we'll still be able to get rid of him at an election. To think otherwise is just a teensy bit paranoid.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

On the one hand you talk about rational argument, but then you talk about poison and images of vampires.
    I think the way to defeat bad ideas is to provide better ones. I do think Corbyn's ideas are poisonous and that they need to be utterly defeated.

Passion about good ideas is not incompatible with reason. You need to make people feel why your ideas are better. And the English language is a language of metaphors and images.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2015
    Hope no/not too many casualties in Ankara :(

Read about breaking news of an explosion here so tried switching to a news channel - Sky News showing ads, BBC News showing its regular broadcasting. So called 24/7 broadcast news is so lame compared to the internet. EDIT: Sky continuing with its paper review laughing and joking after the ads.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta

"Then he should accept that he abused his position to repeat, without good cause, some of the most disgusting things that can ever be said about anyone. Then he should admit that he is unfit to hold public office."

I agree with Charles Moore. The problem with McCarthyism is that it encourages sleazeballs. Certainly Tom Watson should resign but not only him. This whole episode has been manna from heaven for publicity seekers like him and there are many more victims than Leon Brittan.

Oleaginous creatures like Watson have always existed but the real blame lies with the DPP and the police and our only too willing press. I look forward to a time when all the "McCarthy's" are exposed and this shameful episode in our history is ended for good.

Seconded. The problem with all of this is that justice has not been served: innocent people wrongly accused, guilty people getting away with their crimes, victims deprived of justice and the investigative system corrupted.

• Options

Antifrank, it's a good article and one with which I mostly agree. However the "We only have to be lucky once" suggestion indicates that you think a hard left government would be the end of our democracy (please correct me if I've misinterpreted you).
    I think that Corbyn, and before him Foot and Benn, are democrats. If he gets elected we'll still be able to get rid of him at an election. To think otherwise is just a teensy bit paranoid.

I don't think he means they'll get rid of democracy, just that they'll have achieved their ambition and get into power. Once in power they can do a tremendous amount in five years.
  • Options

I don't think this was Antifrank's point - which I think was that an enormous amount can be done on the hard left's shopping list in five years.

But I have to say I disagree with that too. Not only would they need to manage MPs, but also the economy. Many of these plans involve spending large amounts of money that just won't be there unless they double down, double down again, and double down once again on McDonnell's "fire up the printing presses" plan... which would lead to enormous inflation. It's hard to do things in Government, even if those things are modest and vaguely realistic.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, not only that, Watson's partisan grandstanding and the subsequent dropping of the case make it less likely that actual victims will come forward in the future.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

I think the way to defeat bad ideas is to provide better ones. I do think Corbyn's ideas are poisonous and that they need to be utterly defeated.

Passion about good ideas is not incompatible with reason. You need to make people feel why your ideas are better. And the English language is a language of metaphors and images.
    I find the tone of your final comments and AF's original article histrionic. And as such unhelpful to the cause they espouse.

Getting Labour electable will be hard work and there will be quite enough drama without us adding to it.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

I find the tone of your final comments and AF's original article histrionic. And as such unhelpful to the cause they espouse.

Getting Labour electable will be hard work and there will be quite enough drama without us adding to it.

It's not every day I get to unleash my inner Daily Mail.
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, not only that, Watson's partisan grandstanding and the subsequent dropping of the case make it less likely that actual victims will come forward in the future.

Quite. Also the focus on very old alleged crimes also means that we risk not taking steps to stop child abuse happening now.

• Options

[ previous quotes removed for length ]

Public spending went from 34.6% in 2000 up to 47.3% and that's "hovering" in your eyes?

Miliband's error was being wrong. Labour were running a major deficit during growth before the recession - the result when the recession hit was inevitable. If you're running a deficit in growth then cyclical spending factors mean the deficit will blow out of control in the next bust.

Of course Ed and Gordon delusionally believed they had eliminated boom and bust. They were wrong.
    Who was Chancellor in 2000? Ah yes, Gordon Brown. Go back to the Conservative governments of both Thatcher and Major and spending is above 40 per cent. Nor was Labour running a major deficit. A deficit, yes, but low in historical and international terms (and one which followed Brown running a surplus).
  • Options
    I don't think anyone has picked it up but very naughty of AntiFrank to quote the IRA in his headline.....(aftermath of the Brighton bombing)!
  • Options

I don't think anyone has picked it up but very naughty of AntiFrank to quote the IRA in his headline.....(aftermath of the Brighton bombing)!

JackW got the gold medal.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

Fair enough. I make no apologies for my detestation of Corbyn's views though. I would like to see some more passion on the part of those who oppose Corbyn. Burnham and Cooper were utterly bloodless and it it did their cause no good at all. And the histrionics have rather been on the Left with all the chanting of abuse and spitting etc nonsense.

What do you think of the three main points though?

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Tim_B said:

Meanwhile, in mature political coverage, GQ has published an article titled

Fuck Ben Carson

Is it favorable or not do you think?

From what I have seen on his comments (complete with snide laugh) at what the victims of gun massacres should be doing, I think that headline is completely appropriate.
  • Options

Very appropriate though, no?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

To anyone interested in the electability of the Labour party, I recommend the Dennis Healey documentary on iPlayer and the section on the 70s and 80s (from about 30mins in). It is notable for a guest appearance of Labour's new leader and Livingstone in full flight.

http://bbc.in/1FTE69T

The similarity between then and now is already striking. It could be brutal.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited October 2015
    It's an interesting article, but it suggests a degree of systematic planning which I don't think is present. People who dislike his politics are mistaken to see him as Machiavelli - he is much more like Citizen Smith (?), the guy in the Hollywood movie who blows into the Senate full of innocent intention. Corbyn's position is akin to a branch manager of M&S being appointed as CEO after a huge shareholder revolt. He's surprised, pleased and adjusting as quickly as possible, but essentially his training and experience relate to the previous role.

As a backbencher in a safe seat, it's a perfectly viable strategy simply to stand up for what you believe in and work hard for your constituents. He is an excellent constituency MP - I've canvassed numerous supporters of other parties who vote for him because he helped them over the years. He's also genuinely honest and recoils from disavowing past stances for tactical advantage. Nor is he into personal vendettas - he is uninterested in evicting opponents, and his experience - including the recent selection - is that by arguing your case you win in the end, and more decently than by cunningly getting rid of rivals. Take him as a radical left-winger with honest principles and you can predict his actions much better.

Most people who reach the top have got used to numerous big and small compromises, evasions and dishonesties - we expect it of them, and comment critically when they don't do the electorally opportune thing - if Clinton embraces some new stance we just assume she's reacting to a focus group, and nod understandingly. (Who can predict what Boris will think next year? Certainly not him.) That is not Corbyn's habit and I don't think he will change. The furthest he goes is to accept that sometimes the party will outvote him (as on NATO and even Trident). (Some prominent left-wingers are much more willing to shift without conviction as they think necessary, by the way.)

So the bad news is that there isn't really a systematic plan. But a good deal of what Antifrank writes may happen anyway. The far left is by no means a united, disciplined force, and lots of reselections are very unlikely, but mainstream members in a redrawn constituency will tend to select candidates who are not hostile to the overall mood of the party, which is basically "centrism feels wrong and usually doesn't actually win, so let's be honestly left-wing". The PLP will consequently reflect the current direction more than its current membership, as is always true because of the selection timelag.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

I don't think your article is histrionic BTW. The advisors around Corbyn and what they do with the internal mechanics of the party is what needs watching not silly nonsense about kneeling and the rest.

• Options

[ previous quotes removed for length ]

Who was Chancellor in 2000? Ah yes, Gordon Brown. Go back to the Conservative governments of both Thatcher and Major and spending is above 40 per cent. Nor was Labour running a major deficit. A deficit, yes, but low in historical and international terms (and one which followed Brown running a surplus).
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? If you inherit a bad situation it takes time to turn it around, if you inherit a good one, it takes time to turn that around. Tell me when was the last time under Thatcher or Major that spending was 47.3% of GDP?

If the pre-recession deficit was "low in historical terms" how come the last time the UK entered a recession it did so from a position of a surplus rather than a deficit? Which was the last year when the UK entered a recession with a deficit as bad as that in 2007/8?
  • Options

So the bad news is that there isn't really a systematic plan. But a good deal of what Antifrank writes may happen anyway. The far left is by no means a united, disciplined force, and lots of reselections are very unlikely, but mainstream members in a redrawn constituency will tend to select candidates who are not hostile to the overall mood of the party, which is basically "centrism feels wrong and usually doesn't actually win, so let's be honestly left-wing". The PLP will consequently reflect the current direction more than its current membership, as is always true because of the selection timelag.

You seem to be guided by large degree of personal respect for Corbyn. Is that correct?
  • Options

It has been said Corbyn has recruited experienced hands from Ken Livingstone's old mayoral team. If so, that might be your answer.
    The cynic in me says that they're already twice-losers.

But perhaps they'll have learnt enough from the successes and failures of Livingstone's campaigns to really help Corbyn. Do we have any names?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Jonathan said:

antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

To anyone interested in the electability of the Labour party, I recommend the Dennis Healey documentary on iPlayer and the section on the 70s and 80s (from about 30mins in). It is notable for a guest appearance of Labour's new leader and Livingstone in full flight.

Labour is going to need a near-death event to come to its senses, I fear. Even then, the question is - who has access to the defibrillator?

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. D, nice idea but:

The Greens and Lib Dems are too small. UKIP has a history of stupid electoral strategies coupled with a leader who's made himself look a damned fool. The SNP are already in a dominant position in the constituencies they'll contest.

If all disaffected leftwingers jumped one way, that could give the Lib Dems or UKIP a critical advantage, but as I imagine left voters will split between various parties and just not voting it's hard to see a challenger to Labour's status as official opposition party.

Yes, as I believe I said right at the start of this nonsense, there is not a credible outcome to it all that does not involve a split in the Parliamentary Labour Party.

There is no credible alternative to Labour as an opposition. Corbyn is clearly concentrating on control of the mechanisms by which the Labour Party is run (ironically mechanisms intentionally designed to stop the Hard Left having influence on the party but apparently completely failing to consider that the Hard Left could end up in control of those mechanisms).

The mandate he achieved makes it impossible for him to be ousted. The only way for the moderate wing of Labour to deal with this is to form a New SDP and they would be much better doing so while they still have a reasonable Parliamentary representation.

It is surely possible that a New SDP could become the official opposition from the start given the likely numbers. But unless they move soon they will be faced with elections in 2020 which will remove a great many of the anti-Corbynites from holding seats and the Hard Left begin to dominate the PLP.
  • Options

antifrank said:

If you're right and Labour are a lost cause then they need to form an SDP style party. It may be best to try and wrest back control of Labour either during this Parliament or after a 2020 electoral defeat but if come 2021 Corbynites are still in charge then an SDP will become necessary.

The Lib Dems are deceased and will not take over without a Labour schism. Which seems to be what the Corbynites seem to want by being so vitriolic with "red Tories" like Kendall.
    If they wait till after the 2020 election then instead of having the chance to start their life with over 100 MPs, the New SDP will start with a mere handful as most of the moderate PLP find themselves deselected by the boundary review and reduction to 600 MPs.

Out of interest, the Tories are probably well aware of what the boundary changes will mean for the PLP and this could significantly increase their desire to make the change instead of kicking things into the long grass again.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

The difficulty is that now we don't have the likes of Healey around. Labour has been hollowed out. Where the talent is or will come from, God only knows.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    This article will be seen by Corbyn supporters as just another article disputing his integrity.

With the main head line trying to infer some sort of terrorist thoughts "we only have to be lucky once "

Misquote has always been the tool of politics, and Corbyn will never be able to over come it on here or the MSM.
    Any so callled hard left or hard right leader , needs more than luck to hold power in the UK with FPTP.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

JackW got the gold medal.
    As it should be! His use of the singular threw me.
  • Options
    I pondered the 2020 election whilst making the family cheese on toast.

There is a good chance that 2020 will be the first general election I'll ever have voted in (*) where there will be a firm ideological difference between the parties.

The people will get to choose between two radically different views of the way forward for the country.

I find that rather exciting.

(*) I first voted in 1992.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The difficulty is that now we don't have the likes of Healey around. Labour has been hollowed out. Where the talent is or will come from, God only knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWLN7rIby9s
  • Options

It's an interesting article, but it suggests a degree of systematic planning which I don't think is present. People who dislike his politics are mistaken to see him as Machiavelli - he is much more like Citizen Smith (?), the guy in the Hollywood movie who blows into the Senate full of innocent intention.

Mr Smith as in Mr Smith Goes To Washington. Citizen Smith was Robert Lindsey's Spartist Trot in the BBC sitcom.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Dair said:

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. D, nice idea but:

Yes, as I believe I said right at the start of this nonsense, there is not a credible outcome to it all that does not involve a split in the Parliamentary Labour Party.

There is no credible alternative to Labour as an opposition. Corbyn is clearly concentrating on control of the mechanisms by which the Labour Party is run (ironically mechanisms intentionally designed to stop the Hard Left having influence on the party but apparently completely failing to consider that the Hard Left could end up in control of those mechanisms).

The mandate he achieved makes it impossible for him to be ousted. The only way for the moderate wing of Labour to deal with this is to form a New SDP and they would be much better doing so while they still have a reasonable Parliamentary representation.

It is surely possible that a New SDP could become the official opposition from the start given the likely numbers. But unless they move soon they will be faced with elections in 2020 which will remove a great many of the anti-Corbynites from holding seats and the Hard Left begin to dominate the PLP.
    There would a fascinating period of politics if more than half the Parliamentary Labour Party were to leave into a new party and proclaim themselves the official Opposition, with the Corbynistas having the union funding going to pay off the debts...

Of course, to do so they would have to coalesce around a new leader, untainted by this summer's leadership debacle. Step forward The Postie. Has he perhaps stepped down from his role on the EU Referendum to do something a bit bigger?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

This article will be seen by Corbyn supporters as just another article disputing his integrity.

With the main head line trying to infer some sort of terrorist thoughts "we only have to be lucky once "

Misquote has always been the tool of politics, and Corbyn will never be able to over come it on here or the MSM.
    Any so callled hard left or hard right leader , needs more than luck to hold power in the UK with FPTP.

I dispute Nick Palmer's claims that Corbyn has integrity and is honest. His much vaunted claim that he will talk to anyone no matter how much he disagrees with their views is not true, for instance. But as I have said this before on this forum, probably ad nauseam, I will leave it there.

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Actually, of course, that's where you start to need thousands of times more luck than you did in Opposition.

What the clueless hard left don't seem to realise, of course, is that all hard left governments in democractic societies have faced their Thermidor moments, and mostly sooner rather than later. Think Syriza when it disregarded the results of the referendum it had called itself. Or Mitterrand in 1983. Or Wilson calling in the IMF. Or, though obviously not in a democractic society, Lenin with his New Econmic Policy. And it's always for the same reason: sooner or later they run out of other people's money.

Nowadays, given the speed and size of capital markets, the counter-revolution will happen much quicker than in the 18th century - I'd predict weeks rather than years. The difficulty for the country, of course, is that it'll take decades to clean up the detritus.

But then, if we're stupid enough to vote Corbyn and his bunch in, we'd probably deserve it. Fortunately, I don't think we are, so it'll never happen.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Then he won!

"I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?"

Indeed.

Yeah, replaced by "New Labour"
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Jonathan said:

What's so "hard" about the left?

Good morning all. Good point. It's the same with right wingers - they're nearly always labelled 'extreme'. It's extremely easy to fall into the lazy habit of demonising the opposition and casting them as the despised 'other'.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Morning all.

What jihadists are leaving behind as they retreat in Syria: https://www.rt.com/news/318184-captured-syrian-village-atrocities/ (video)
  • Options
    I can't say I care for the phrase "hard left" but I use it because others instantly know who I mean by it. I'm open to other phrases that other readers will understand as easily.
  • Options
    Dair said:

There is a credible alternative, it just isn't very likely currently. But then if someone had gone to Ladbrokes 24 months ago and said that in two year's time the Tories would have an absolute majority in Parliament, the Lib Dems would have 8 MPs, the SNP 56 (elected) and Jeremy Corbyn would be leader of the Opposition - what fair odds would have been given for that? The unlikely can come to pass.

The credible alternative is that the Labour Party loses political support which coalesces around an alternative, probably the Lib Dems. Over a couple of years the Lib Dems gradually rise until like a phoenix from the flames they're suddenly polling in the high teens, then the twenties. Meanwhile Labour have drifted down out of the thirties and down the twenties then there's talk of a crossover between the Lib Dems and Labour. At that point even if they only have 8 MPs the polls putting them in touching distance of Labour makes them a credible alternative - defections at this stage may occur both by Labour MPs and Labour voters.

If there is crossover between parties and a tipping point is reached then FPTP can be a cruel mistress. In 2010 Labour won 66% of Scottish MPs, the SNP 10% - five years later Labour won <2% of Scottish MPs and the SNP won 95% of them.

In Canada 1993 the Conservatives went from 156 ridings to holding just 2. A loss of 154. Worst case scenario for the reds is that could feasibly happen to Labour.