Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes makes 2020 or later the favourite for Mr Corbyn’s

Comments

• Options
    Dair said:

DAIR So "Sour faced".."Old" given that she is in her 80s..how observant you are "Scowling" if these are not meant to be rude I wonder what you think is rude.Has the midge season been bad this year.. it seems to have affected the thought processes of the Scots contingent on PB

She has a permanent scowl in public and shows a clear disdain at having to slum it with commoners. She clearly despises the people she is forced to interact with.

I'm sure her defenders will just class this as unfortunate body language but they seem to defend any of the disgusting behaviour of the Windsor Gang.
    My wife has met the Queen. Shared a lift journey and a conversation with her. Perfectly charming lady. You are clearly in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

AnneJGP said:

Not singing the national anthem is not disrespectful of anything. Being disrespectful would be not standing, or looking down or talking through it etc. God knows I am not JC's greatest fan, but not even I would criticise him for failing to make a fool of himself by singing a song whose words he does not believe in.

But not doing his tie up, wearing a shirt that is a couple of sizes too big and not wearing a suit is a sin. He stood for election to an office of state and that comes with ceremonial responsibilities that he knew full well about. What's more, he is representing nine million plus Labour voters, if nothing else he should make an effort not to embarrass them.

It is just conceivable that as yet he simply doesn't have the wardrobe. He's 66 & has presumably never needed such clothing before, and he has been a bit busy since being elected.
    He's never needed to buy a shirt that fits him before? For goodness sake, he only needs a standard suit and shirt that fit, not a morning suit.
    You'd hope that an MP of all people, would have both the means, and the nous to buy a reasonable suit. Something from M&S will hardly mark him out as a baby eating capitalist.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    DAIR.. No I don'tdefend the Windsor Gang.. I have no feelings about any of them at all and would have a go at them if they were being prats... as you will realise.. a prat is a prat whether it be Royal or Scot..A far as Madge is concerned..I just see an 80 odd year old who looks like she would rather be at home reading a book
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''As others have said, Tories should generally lay off Corbyn - he's gently destroying himself, anyway, with the assistance of the media that he hates.''

I think the strategy is to target and utterly discredit moderates.

Do you agree with unlimited benefits now Yvette? having supported a 23 grand cap? How does that work then...??
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,979

malcolmg said:

Jerusalem is the most rousing "British" "anthem" IMHO!

Not for Scotland it is not.
    Hence the "quotes" Malcolm!
    You forgot lots of exclamation marks
  • Options
    watford30 said:

JEO said:

AnneJGP said:

Not singing the national anthem is not disrespectful of anything. Being disrespectful would be not standing, or looking down or talking through it etc. God knows I am not JC's greatest fan, but not even I would criticise him for failing to make a fool of himself by singing a song whose words he does not believe in.

But not doing his tie up, wearing a shirt that is a couple of sizes too big and not wearing a suit is a sin. He stood for election to an office of state and that comes with ceremonial responsibilities that he knew full well about. What's more, he is representing nine million plus Labour voters, if nothing else he should make an effort not to embarrass them.

It is just conceivable that as yet he simply doesn't have the wardrobe. He's 66 & has presumably never needed such clothing before, and he has been a bit busy since being elected.
    He's never needed to buy a shirt that fits him before? For goodness sake, he only needs a standard suit and shirt that fit, not a morning suit.
    You'd hope that an MP of all people, would have both the means, and the nous to buy a reasonable suit.
    Suits? Suits are bourgeois right-wing Tory apparel!

:lol:
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

No, I don't buy that at all. He didn't need to go to Saville Row, five minutes in M&S would have done the job. Or someone could have gone for him. He must know his size and a few could have been purchased and the ones not used returned. Looking like a dick at a national event when you are representing your party and its millions of voters is inexcusable. JC may think it is all stuff and nonsense, but many others do not. It would have cost him nothing more than the price of the shirt and suit, and would have compromised no principles.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Pauly said:

Just incase anyone missed it. From BBC News:

Lord Falconer made it clear that he would not stay in the shadow cabinet if the Labour leadership decided to campaign to leave the EU. This is what he said:
    "If the Labour Party adopts a position which says we might leave the EU and might argue against it then of course my position would become impossible at that point. But that's not the current position."

So risk of a resignation from there only adds to Corbyn's many worries.

I think it must be just about certain that Hilary Benn would also resign in that situation.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    SeanT said:

As others have said, Tories should generally lay off Corbyn - he's gently destroying himself, anyway, with the assistance of the media that he hates.

The target to aim for is McDonnell - he's even further left, he's Corbyn's best mate, he wants to "bring down capitalism", and he's the fecking Shadow Chancellor. And virtually everyone in the PLP despises McDonnell, whereas they merely dislike or resent Corbyn.

They should not lay off him. The danger is that he comes to be seen as a likeable old cove.

The Cons need to forensically dissect him, his policies and his friends. Especially his friends.

I would very much like it if tomorrow it became LotO's Questions instead of the PM's and if Cam and his team has anything about it, they will turn Jezza's questions, such as they are (a mail has gone out to Lab members to ask for suggestions) back into a question to Jezza.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

He's been an MP for 30 years+ - doesn't have a suit and tie? Bollox.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

Many Corbyn activists asked "what would Attlee do?"
    As a patriot who fought at Gallipoli, I'm guessing he'd do up his tie at a memorial.

Somehow I doubt that Major Attlee MP MC would have not sung God Save The Queen.

Isn't the point about the National Anthem that it's the national anthem? It's not the disrespect to the Queen but to the nation that's the issue. If you care about such things.

I think there are more important things to criticise Corbyn about than this. Generally I think that if you turn up at some service it is no more than good manners to behave as is required e.g. taking one's shoes off in a mosque or wearing a kippah in a synagogue etc etc. Your own personal feelings are irrelevant and if they are that important to you then don't go.

BTW since it is Battle of Britain day I just thought I'd share the fact that my father was a Squadron Leader: one of the Few. Sadly no longer with us.

Of COURSE there are far more important things to criticize him for than this. But it's stuff like this which crystallises public mood, where more abstruse (if justified) accusations - his consorting with Islamists - gain no traction.

Most people have no idea why this or that radicalist is so offensive, but they can bloody well see a man disrespecting the Queen and looking badly dressed at an RAF memorial service.

We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already. He is corroding.
    OT Sean...

Just back from the shops. Big, BIG poster up at WHSmiths for the Richard & Judy Book Club. The Ice Twins is the 1st book on the graphic.

Kerching

Well done sir.
    Yay. Ta.
    Lots of big posters on the tube as well.

Isn't that a little low brow for you?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    watford30 said:

Dair said:

DAIR So "Sour faced".."Old" given that she is in her 80s..how observant you are "Scowling" if these are not meant to be rude I wonder what you think is rude.Has the midge season been bad this year.. it seems to have affected the thought processes of the Scots contingent on PB

She has a permanent scowl in public and shows a clear disdain at having to slum it with commoners. She clearly despises the people she is forced to interact with.

Why do you keep repeating the same comments about Sturgeon?

Actually Ms Sturgeon seemed quite happy to sing the praises of HM last week, and to join her on that fabulous train for a chat. Not all Nats are as bad mannered as Dair or Jezza.

(Interesting that some light railway trolling took place: the engine was "the UNION of South Africa).
  • Options
    Three strands of attack:

1 - security

2 - we told you they'd not gone

3 - shambles

Today's events tick both 2 and 3.

Frankly, they could just sit back and let Corbyn bury himself.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

That is no different to a republican not joining in with a song that exists to worship monarchy

Absolutely. Republican Party leaders should take a principled stance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA17CsRffXI
    You really are worse than Billy Liar , you are compulsive and a total prat.
    Lying by posting video evidence ? Interesting - sounds like a river in Egypt.
    You are as dense as him, she has never ever said she was a Republican , and has never ever before refused to sing the anthem. I know you loyalists like to think that everybody in the SNP is a republican but it is a fantasy like most of your posts.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Wonder what Corbyn (and for that matter everyone else) thinks of this:

"At least half of all UK banknotes in circulation are held overseas or used in the black market, a Bank of England report suggests.

The Bank, which is the main issuer of banknotes in the UK, said only about a quarter of cash in circulation is being used to buy and sell things.

Some is being hoarded, outside of bank accounts.

Much is held for travel money overseas or used illegally in the "shadow economy", the Bank said."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34257278
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995
    For a stirring anthem, how about "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau". Sung in chorus.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    SeanT said:

As others have said, Tories should generally lay off Corbyn - he's gently destroying himself, anyway, with the assistance of the media that he hates.

The target to aim for is McDonnell - he's even further left, he's Corbyn's best mate, he wants to "bring down capitalism", and he's the fecking Shadow Chancellor. And virtually everyone in the PLP despises McDonnell, whereas they merely dislike or resent Corbyn.

Their target should be neither. The target should be the Labour Party as a whole, especially the 60% of them that backed Corbyn. It's not like disdain for British/English patriotism, a preference for multiculturalism over British culture, or an unwillingness to call out intolerance among ethnic and religious minorities is the preserve of the far left.

I said this the other day, and I'll say it again. Which moderate Labour MPs have called for Diane Abbott to be kicked out the party? She has come out, more than once, with explicitly racist remarks. Yet all we get is stony silence.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

That is no different to a republican not joining in with a song that exists to worship monarchy

You are as dense as him, she has never ever said she was a Republican , and has never ever before refused to sing the anthem. I know you loyalists like to think that everybody in the SNP is a republican but it is a fantasy like most of your posts.

Nicola is a loyalist, so we know that not everyone in the SNP is a republican.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

AnneJGP said:

No, I don't buy that at all. He didn't need to go to Saville Row, five minutes in M&S would have done the job. Or someone could have gone for him. He must know his size and a few could have been purchased and the ones not used returned. Looking like a dick at a national event when you are representing your party and its millions of voters is inexcusable. JC may think it is all stuff and nonsense, but many others do not. It would have cost him nothing more than the price of the shirt and suit, and would have compromised no principles.

A tailor could have come to him - he's on £128k FFS.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

He could have buttoned up the shirt he did have and tied his tie properly (or get an aide to do it for him).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Actually Ms Sturgeon seemed quite happy to sing the praises of HM last week, and to join her on that fabulous train for a chat. Not all Nats are as bad mannered as Dair or Jezza.

(Interesting that some light railway trolling took place: the engine was "the UNION of South Africa).
    46100 Royal Scot wasn't ready to take charter trains on the mainline.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

DAIR.. No I don'tdefend the Windsor Gang.. I have no feelings about any of them at all and would have a go at them if they were being prats... as you will realise.. a prat is a prat whether it be Royal or Scot..A far as Madge is concerned..I just see an 80 odd year old who looks like she would rather be at home reading a book

You're trying to imply that her disgust with the public is a new thing related to her age. It's not, it's how she has been raised, how she actually feels and her scowling has existed for her entire "career" of lumbering the public with a massive Benefits bill.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

They should not lay off him. The danger is that he comes to be seen as a likeable old cove.

The Cons need to forensically dissect him, his policies and his friends. Especially his friends.

I would very much like it if tomorrow it became LotO's Questions instead of the PM's and if Cam and his team has anything about it, they will turn Jezza's questions, such as they are (a mail has gone out to Lab members to ask for suggestions) back into a question to Jezza.
    They will want to be careful with that - Bercow has stamped down on it in the past, and will have no issue doing it again - 'I remind the Prime Minister that it is his job to answer the questions put to him - however much he may wish it otherwise...' etc. etc.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    If David Blunkett could turn up smartly dressed at official occasions, then Jezza really doesn't have an excuse.
  • Options
    JEO said:

It's just like Gordon Brown. He's one of those left-wingers that takes an adolescent pride in not conforming at respectful occasions. It reminds me of my teenage cousin that insisted on wearing trainers at his sister's wedding.
    Southam has a point although he is not quite right.
    Its true that Corbyn ought to remember that he is representing 9 million labour voters and the entire labour Party and behave accordingly. But as far as he is concerned he represents the Stop the War coalition the anti capitalist/globalization/G7 coalition and wants to transmogrify the Labour Party into their own image; he has little in common in fact with the Labour Party as we thought we knew it.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

As for the song, it;'s a disgraceful dirge, woeful on every level and the lyrics, filled with the idea of kowtowing to some inbred, sour faced old crone are disgusting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA17CsRffXI
    Doesn't matter who sings it. Anyone who does demeans themselves and shows an complete lack of self-respect.
    Scott is obsessed with hatred for the SNP, he would be whining if they offered him a million pounds free with no strings.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

What I mean is they shouldn't do angry personal attacks in parliament. Leave the "You didn't sing the National Anthem, you appalling old tramp" stuff to the tabloids.

Of course they should dissect his hideous past and opinions for all to see - but do it calmly and politely. Much better than frothing.
    Cam should definitely mention Steptoe's "unlimited benefits" policy tomorrow - its like kryponite to voters.
  • Options
    Dair said:

You're trying to imply that her disgust with the public is a new thing related to her age. It's not, it's how she has been raised, how she actually feels and her scowling has existed for her entire "career" of lumbering the public with a massive Benefits bill.
    I've never understood why so called Republicans want to live here, you can stomp your feet all you like the monarchy isn't going anywhere.

• Options
    MikeL said:

"At least half of all UK banknotes in circulation are held overseas or used in the black market, a Bank of England report suggests.

The Bank, which is the main issuer of banknotes in the UK, said only about a quarter of cash in circulation is being used to buy and sell things.

Much is held for travel money overseas or used illegally in the "shadow economy", the Bank said."

Pretty meaningless IMO. Cash is obsolete now. I'd estimate 99% of my financial dealings I personally do with plastic or online, in fact the only time I personally use cash is to put into the pot for my weekly poker game and to buy a pint. Even for the pint I could use plastic.

In an ideal world for me cash would be withdrawn and all dealings would be electronic. Would be the best way of eliminating the shadow economy.
  • Options
    Dair said:

You seem very upset. Were you turned down for an invitation to a garden party once or something?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

The Union of the Crowns occurred a full century before the Acts of Union.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    If TUC vote for EU leave campaign then Corbyn giving a free vote is the best he could hope for. I pray for his sake that that is enough for Watson, Benn and Falconer...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015
    This year's Booker Prize nominations:

Marlon James (Jamaica), A Brief History of Seven Killings
    Tom McCarthy (UK), Satin Island
    Chigozie Obioma (Nigeria), The Fishermen
    Sunjeev Sahota (UK), The Year of the Runaways
    Anne Tyler (US), A Spool of Blue Thread
    Hanya Yanagihara (US), A Little Life

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34255672

Anyone read any of them?
  • Options
    ''Cam should definitely mention Steptoe's "unlimited benefits" policy tomorrow - its like kryponite to voters.''

Not to mention labour MPs.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    James Grey MP(Con) on Jezza ""The fact he was there properly dressed, wearing a tie, good on him. Well done him. He is a pacifist and not a royalist but he has gone along and stood in the front row."
  • Options
    GSTQ debate :

So on one side we have Sir Sean Connery, Saint Nicola Sturgeon and David Cameron

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Dair said:

I'm sure her defenders will just class this as unfortunate body language but they seem to defend any of the disgusting behaviour of the Windsor Gang.
    My wife has met the Queen. Shared a lift journey and a conversation with her. Perfectly charming lady. You are clearly in cloud cuckoo land.
    You are HRH The Prince of Wales (or Duke of Rothesay in Scotland) and I claim the income of the Duchy of Cornwall .... :smile:

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

Actually I do agree.

If he does have ambitions to become PM it will be important for him to create an image that people can 'see' fitting in alongside other world leaders. Unfortunately the longer he leaves it, the more odd it will seem if/when he finally does get a makeover.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

SO, well well below 50% I believe. Personally I would get rid of them after the Queen pops it.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

They will want to be careful with that - Bercow has stamped down on it in the past, and will have no issue doing it again - 'I remind the Prime Minister that it is his job to answer the questions put to him - however much he may wish it otherwise...' etc. etc.
    You don't need to ask questions; you merely need to make reference to what Corbyn has said / done/ supported / associated with in an answer. If he chooses to take the bait, that's his call: "unlike the leader of the opposition, this government will implement X for the good of the country", "the leader of the opposition might support Y; this government never will" etc etc.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

What I mean is they shouldn't do angry personal attacks in parliament. Leave the "You didn't sing the National Anthem, you appalling old tramp" stuff to the tabloids.

Of course they should dissect his hideous past and opinions for all to see - but do it calmly and politely. Much better than frothing.
    yes agree. But I wonder if Cam will do that thing he does when he (apparently) feels angry at something and the passion comes out.

Frankly you don't have to have a cross of St. George flying from the aerial of your white van to get pretty angry at some of the anti-UK things Jezza has said.

We shall see..
  • Options

Dair said:

I've never understood why so called Republicans want to live here, you can stomp your feet all you like the monarchy isn't going anywhere.

No need to be pessimistic. That sort of defeatist attitude may have led one to believe there's no reason Conservatives should be in the country as privatisation of the utilities etc could never happen.

I want to live here as its my nation and I'm proud of it. I'm a republican not as I have any disrespect for the Queen or the country but for example as I see no reason why one day my daughter should be constitutionally incapable of ever becoming head of state.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

MikeL said:

Pretty meaningless IMO. Cash is obsolete now. I'd estimate 99% of my financial dealings I personally do with plastic or online, in fact the only time I personally use cash is to put into the pot for my weekly poker game and to buy a pint. Even for the pint I could use plastic.

In an ideal world for me cash would be withdrawn and all dealings would be electronic. Would be the best way of eliminating the shadow economy.
    Getting rid of cash would be sticking two fingers up at a lot of the elderly, the poor, and those living in remote locations. Also it would be a mecca for those who would like to be able to track every aspect of a person's life.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Cam should definitely mention Steptoe's "unlimited benefits" policy tomorrow - its like kryponite to voters.
    Cameron should say to Corbyn that he's always dragging him down; he was trying to be sophisticated.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    In the summer of 2013, in the barely budding stages of recovery, public support for the benefit cap was +61% (73 v 12).

In spite of that, Corbyn has pledged to reinstate limitless benefits.

It shows the disconnect between the rabid, hard left, anti-austerity campaigners and Mr and Mrs Ordinary.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015
    £200-300K plus expenses pa between the pair of them.

What is it with MPs and serial scrounging?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Getting rid of cash would be sticking two fingers up at a lot of the elderly, the poor, and those living in remote locations.
    Not really. People said the same about getting rid of cheque books.

It is a long-term trend not an overnight development. There is no reason why the poor or the elderly etc can't use debit cards. The rise of contactless as a cash-equivalent has been a good development.

If cash disappears it is criminals who will have the most to lose, not the poor or elderly.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why it hasn't sunk in yet, but this type of constant, pedantic, outrage bus based sniping is not particularly effective.

You only need to look at Scotland to see how this sort of ridiculous nonsense actually backfires on the perpetrators.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Getting rid of cash would be sticking two fingers up at a lot of the elderly, the poor, and those living in remote locations. Also it would be a mecca for those who would like to be able to track every aspect of a person's life.
    On the upside, eliminating cash would likely generate a couple of hundred billion** for HMRC.

**this could even be at the low end.
  • Options
    Dair said:

I'm not sure why it hasn't sunk in yet, but this type of constant, pedantic, outrage bus based sniping is not particularly effective.
    You're learning from last year's referendum then!
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Well said.
    SandraM said:

If David Blunkett could turn up smartly dressed at official occasions, then Jezza really doesn't have an excuse.

• Options

Dair said:

No need to be pessimistic. That sort of defeatist attitude may have led one to believe there's no reason Conservatives should be in the country as privatisation of the utilities etc could never happen.

I want to live here as its my nation and I'm proud of it. I'm a republican not as I have any disrespect for the Queen or the country but for example as I see no reason why one day my daughter should be constitutionally incapable of ever becoming head of state.
    She's not. All it would take is for parliament to pass a law to that end.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

So the term loyalist is ok now? Cool.

Thank goodness you weren't one of those bleating about it.
  • Options
    Jeez - he's not 4yrs old.

James Grey MP(Con) on Jezza ""The fact he was there properly dressed, wearing a tie, good on him. Well done him. He is a pacifist and not a royalist but he has gone along and stood in the front row."

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    SeanT said:
    It also gives the lie to the statement he made on 14 August - “Jeremy’s very strongly held view is there should not be any antisemitic, Islamophobic or racist slogans or banners at any demonstration, ever.”

There are plenty of photos of him at allies and demonstrations where such banners and slogans are clearly in evidence and where even he cannot have failed to miss them.

No wonder, sacked NI Minister Ivan Lewis said: "At the very least he has shown very poor judgment in expressing support for and failing to speak out against people who have engaged not in legitimate criticism of Israeli governments but in antisemitic rhetoric. It saddens me to have to say to some on the left of British politics that anti-racism means zero tolerance of antisemitism, no ifs, and no buts. I have said the same about Islamophobia and other forms of racism to a minority of my constituents who make unacceptable statements.”

• Options
    TGOHF said:

GSTQ debate :

So on one side we have Sir Sean Connery, Saint Nicola Sturgeon and David Cameron

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

I bow to no-one and certainly not some pretendy royal. I certainly would not be singing that awful dirge either. I leave that to loyalist knuckle draggers.
  • Options

Dair said:

You mean pass a law to end the monarchy and make anyone capable of being head of state? That's what I believe in.

Or you mean pass a law to make my daughter the new monarch? That isn't happening and nor would I support that.
  • Options
    It's like EdM putting his name on a birth certificate and getting married. It just looked like he'd been pushed into it.
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

Actually I do agree.

If he does have ambitions to become PM it will be important for him to create an image that people can 'see' fitting in alongside other world leaders. Unfortunately the longer he leaves it, the more odd it will seem if/when he finally does get a makeover.
  • Options

Dair said:

I'm a republican not as I have any disrespect for the Queen or the country but for example as I see no reason why one day my daughter should be constitutionally incapable of ever becoming head of state.
    Your daughter might still be head of state.

The present royal family may fall as others have before them and thus the Windsor's may have to give way to the Thompson's and your daughter succeed you - King Philip II - as the new Queen.

• Options

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Getting rid of cash would be sticking two fingers up at a lot of the elderly, the poor, and those living in remote locations.

It is a long-term trend not an overnight development. There is no reason why the poor or the elderly etc can't use debit cards. The rise of contactless as a cash-equivalent has been a good development.

If cash disappears it is criminals who will have the most to lose, not the poor or elderly.
    I think cash will always have its place, and rightly so.
  • Options
    ''It shows the disconnect between the rabid, hard left, anti-austerity campaigners and Mr and Mrs Ordinary.''

I can't believe the labour moderates will tolerate four years with this giant albatross around their necks.
  • Options

Dair said:

The Law would have to receive Royal Assent.

Lizzie Windsor doesn't come across as the noble type who would willing sign away her and her descendants meal ticket just because it was the democratic will of the people.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

GSTQ debate :

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

I certainly would not be singing that awful dirge either. I leave that to loyalist knuckle draggers.
    I'm sure Nicola appreciates your condescension......
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    With regards to the anthem, its entirely up to Jezza if he sings along. All he need do is stand up and maintain a respectful silence and jobs, jobbed.

The suit is more of an issue in my opinion, it signals to anybody watching that he couldn't be arsed. Five minutes of effort is all it would have taken, as it is, he looks like the kids at school who tie their ties in bizarre ways, that technically meet the requirement but show how "rebellious" they are. A pointless own goal with the press, when he needs all the support he can muster over the first few weeks, which is all he will have before his image is set in stone with the public. He can't afford to have people associating him with being the scruffy old bloke who can't be arsed, even for events as important to the public as the BofB.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

GSTQ debate :

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

I certainly would not be singing that awful dirge either. I leave that to loyalist knuckle draggers.
    She can like it or lump it
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

The PB Tories (and those pretend socialists who are PB Tories under the facade) would get a lot more mileage out of their rants about jumping on the Outrage Bus if they weren't so quick to take their seats on the top deck.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

You're probably right it will, hence why I said in an ideal world. We don't live in an ideal world.

But the estimate is that most fiscal transfers in the UK by value are already electronic not by cash and that is increasing all the time. Cash is for most of the time obsolete and niche.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

GSTQ debate :

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

Does Nicola enjoy lumps of turnip?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

GSTQ debate :

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

Oh, you're the 1% who didn't think she was doing a good job!

They know where you live!

Just as well Police Scotland are in the state they're in......you've got three days (oh no, thats if you're in a car crash....)
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Does show that Tory MPs do respect him.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

The PB Tories (and those pretend socialists who are PB Tories under the facade) would get a lot more mileage out of their rants about jumping on the Outrage Bus if they weren't so quick to take their seats on the top deck.
    As someone who is definitely a PB Tory, I would like to object to how many non-Tories are being put in my group.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I think that's what they call 'damned with faint praise'!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

As a patriot who fought at Gallipoli, I'm guessing he'd do up his tie at a memorial.

Isn't the point about the National Anthem that it's the national anthem? It's not the disrespect to the Queen but to the nation that's the issue. If you care about such things.

I think there are more important things to criticise Corbyn about than this. Generally I think that if you turn up at some service it is no more than good manners to behave as is required e.g. taking one's shoes off in a mosque or wearing a kippah in a synagogue etc etc. Your own personal feelings are irrelevant and if they are that important to you then don't go.

BTW since it is Battle of Britain day I just thought I'd share the fact that my father was a Squadron Leader: one of the Few. Sadly no longer with us.

Of COURSE there are far more important things to criticize him for than this. But it's stuff like this which crystallises public mood, where more abstruse (if justified) accusations - his consorting with Islamists - gain no traction.

Most people have no idea why this or that radicalist is so offensive, but they can bloody well see a man disrespecting the Queen and looking badly dressed at an RAF memorial service.

We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already. He is corroding.
    OT Sean...

Just back from the shops. Big, BIG poster up at WHSmiths for the Richard & Judy Book Club. The Ice Twins is the 1st book on the graphic.

Kerching

Well done sir.
    Yay. Ta.

You what?
    Advertising books on the tubes alongside the latest chick lit
  • Options
    Cyclefree,

You mean the "new politics" of the principled, honest and consistent Corbyn are actually nothing but double standards and evasiveness?

I can not believe it. Next you will be telling me that he has been on the same platform as extremists and also called for others not to share platforms with extremists.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

You're probably right it will, hence why I said in an ideal world. We don't live in an ideal world.

But the estimate is that most fiscal transfers in the UK by value are already electronic not by cash and that is increasing all the time. Cash is for most of the time obsolete and niche.
    I don't think it's obsolete. There will always be a need for a means of currency exchange where electronic connectivity cannot work and does not work, or where a physical token is more practical.

The same as paper books, vinyl and bullion all still have their place.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Rubbish. Criminals will have a wonderful time hacking into bank accounts. And banks will find ever more ingenious ways of blaming customers for frauds. We see it already with telephone frauds and electronic banking.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    saddened said:

With regards to the anthem, its entirely up to Jezza if he sings along. All he need do is stand up and maintain a respectful silence and jobs, jobbed.

The suit is more of an issue in my opinion, it signals to anybody watching that he couldn't be arsed. Five minutes of effort is all it would have taken, as it is, he looks like the kids at school who tie their ties in bizarre ways, that technically meet the requirement but show how "rebellious" they are. A pointless own goal with the press, when he needs all the support he can muster over the first few weeks, which is all he will have before his image is set in stone with the public. He can't afford to have people associating him with being the scruffy old bloke who can't be arsed, even for events as important to the public as the BofB.

When I was at school in the USA each classroom had a flag in the corner and each day began with the pledge of allegience with the students standing hand on heart facing the flag, reciting the words.

As a Brit, my sibs and I weren't prepared to do this; so we negotiated with the school. We agreed to stand silently out of respect, but not pledge. This seemed a very reasonable outcome to all. I was excused the honour of flag raising on the school lawn for similar reasons. Americans have all sorts of arcane flag liturgy!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

:)

Totally off-topic, but I wonder what the new route's weight limits / axle loadings are are? Have they designed it so it can take the largest steam locomotives or any future freight trains?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Do you not use cheques these days? My dad's business still uses them on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Lizzie Windsor doesn't come across as the noble type who would willing sign away her and her descendants meal ticket just because it was the democratic will of the people.
    You seem to think that being extremely rude about our head of state is a defiant way of expressing your freedom of thought and independence.

In fact, it reflects far worse on you than anyone else.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Ed Miliband appears to have been succeeded by Ed Miliband's dad.

Arf - ain't it the truth...
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    DanSmith said:

Does show that Tory MPs do respect him.
    No it shows that they are patronizing him.

Well done Jeremy, you tied your shoes using big boy bows, well done you, clever boy.

That's what it shows.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Cyclefree,

You mean the "new politics" of the principled, honest and consistent Corbyn are actually nothing but double standards and evasiveness?

I can not believe it. Next you will be telling me that he has been on the same platform as extremists and also called for others not to share platforms with extremists.

I know. Hard to believe. Shame. One had such high hopes.

• Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

GSTQ debate :

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

Does Nicola enjoy lumps of turnip?

I would hope so being an Ayrshire lass
  • Options

I'm inclined to agree - Corbyn clearly made a sartorial effort and got reasonably close to the required look. The sandwiches thing is ludicrous. And he can't win on the anthem.

None of which matters; he'll get monstered.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

GSTQ debate :

on the other

Corbo, Dair and malc..

Oh, you're the 1% who didn't think she was doing a good job!

They know where you live!

Just as well Police Scotland are in the state they're in......you've got three days (oh no, thats if you're in a car crash....)
    I better avoid doughnut shops or chippies for a bit
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

OT Sean...

Kerching

Well done sir.
    Yay. Ta.

You what?
    Advertising books on the tubes alongside the latest chick lit
    https://fbcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xft1/v/t1.0-0/p118x118/11949478_1038501882840315_5232969726522428022_n.jpg?oh=f87b50449454d66b8b6deabd86432278&oe=56A36FA4&__gda__=1449169126_88699ab737d86ffb07f7738b50222816
  • Options
    Poverty deniers? That's a new one.
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

You seem to think that being extremely rude about our head of state is a defiant way of expressing your freedom of thought and independence.

She has done nothing to deserve respect. In fact, the way she interacts with the public engenders just the opposite - absolute disgust at the way she appears to despise the very people who fund her pampered lifestyle.

I don't recognise her as a head of state, which is a position requiring a form of electoral mandate which is not present. As such she is simply a disgraceful anachronism in urgent need of reform.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

No, it just shows that using the term to imply some kind of relationship between unionists and paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland is a bit silly. Loyalism is loyalty to the crown. And both anthem-singing Nicola and her predecessor have made their loyalty very plain.

• Options

And he can't win on the anthem..

That is exactly the point. The reason why he can't win on the anthem is that he is miles out of step with the views of those whose votes Labour needs to win, and many whose votes Labour needs to retain. Most of those voters didn't know much about him until very recently, but they'll be forming their view now and over the next few weeks.
  • Options

JEO said:

It's just like Gordon Brown. He's one of those left-wingers that takes an adolescent pride in not conforming at respectful occasions. It reminds me of my teenage cousin that insisted on wearing trainers at his sister's wedding.
    Southam has a point although he is not quite right.
    Its true that Corbyn ought to remember that he is representing 9 million labour voters and the entire labour Party and behave accordingly. But as far as he is concerned he represents the Stop the War coalition the anti capitalist/globalization/G7 coalition and wants to transmogrify the Labour Party into their own image; he has little in common in fact with the Labour Party as we thought we knew it.
    I think the Labour Party as we thought we knew it was us all being inaccurate. We extended them the notion that they were professional, reasonable people, just with some nasty undercurrents. But the parliamentary exterior is just a veneer. The Stop the War coalition, outraged students, hardline feminists, soft Islamists and the anti-white racists turned out to be a large majority of the party.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

She has done nothing to deserve respect. In fact, the way she interacts with the public engenders just the opposite - absolute disgust at the way she appears to despise the very people who fund her pampered lifestyle.

I don't recognise her as a head of state, which is a position requiring a form of electoral mandate which is not present. As such she is simply a disgraceful anachronism in urgent need of reform.
    Which individuals do you think would make a better head of state? Tony Blair? Vince Cable? Alex Salmond?
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

You are a dreadful tease, Dair.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Hunt tells Health select Committee “Morale is not good in the NHS at the moment”.

Wonder why!
  • Options
    JEO said:

SeanT said:

Their target should be neither. The target should be the Labour Party as a whole, especially the 60% of them that backed Corbyn. It's not like disdain for British/English patriotism, a preference for multiculturalism over British culture, or an unwillingness to call out intolerance among ethnic and religious minorities is the preserve of the far left.

I said this the other day, and I'll say it again. Which moderate Labour MPs have called for Diane Abbott to be kicked out the party? She has come out, more than once, with explicitly racist remarks. Yet all we get is stony silence.
    I do sympathise with SeanT - I think he is right. However when a political party is going round with a notice stuck on their back saying kick me I'm stupid' - well it is difficult to resist.
  • Options

Hunt tells Health select Committee “Morale is not good in the NHS at the moment”.

Wonder why!

Because Heidi ERRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM Alexander is new Shadow Health Secretary?
  • Options
    Just heard Owen Smith on LBC in a t*rd polishing exercise for the "new" Labour shadow cabinet.... Reminded me of Hazel Blears. What are the chances Labour go backwards in Wales next year with folk like this?