Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A second poll in a week has the Scots voting for Independen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A second poll in a week has the Scots voting for Independence

This will be great news for supporters of Scottish Nationalism, though on the Holyrood voting intention questions the SNP see their lead slip but they still retain formidable leads in both categories.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited September 2015
    first?

Nice tributes for Hattie by Dave on her last PMQs
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 2m2 minutes ago
    Intriguing - am told senior supporter of Corbyn asked him to consider pulling out of the race a few weeks ago

Operation Unseat Corbyn is underway.
  • Options
    FREEDOM – but not during this parliament….
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,395
    edited September 2015
    fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

ofc more people are saying they will vote Out. Same reason for the SNP landslide. They are safe in the referendum IN result and can now focus on agitating for more devolved powers to Scotlandshire. They do this by seeming to warn Westminster that they are on the verge of leaving.

All quite explicable; if there were another referendum tomorrow there would be another IN vote.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

who knows what Santa will bring
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I'm hoping for a Scalextric... For my son, honestly.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Urgh. I thought we could avoid any more Scottish threads for a while.
  • Options
    I'd campaign for Scottish Independence if they could only guarantee that anti-slip matting would be placed on all Scottish slipways. :)
  • Options
    He's the nutjob who's wanted for 'conversations' with the police in respect of an alleged murder in Belize, right?

Sounds like he should stand for the GOP nomination!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

ofc more people are saying they will vote Out. Same reason for the SNP landslide. They are safe in the referendum IN result and can now focus on agitating for more devolved powers to Scotlandshire. They do this by seeming to warn Westminster that they are on the verge of leaving.

All quite explicable; if there were another referendum tomorrow there would be another IN vote.

Then let's have one and put the whole thing to bed.

• Options
    edited September 2015

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

well that's precisely what the SNP don't want. And it didn't put it to bed last time. It is a convenient device for the SNP to have and try to hold over Westminster's head. The PM should ignore it.

(Edit: all over the shop with my metaphors, there...)
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nick - like many of us - believes what he would like to be true: that Corbyn is seeking agreement and talks, that these ghastly people are really quite reasonable underneath if only we could find out why they are so upset, that if we only met them half-way, all would be well in the best of all possible worlds, that everyone is basically like us and wants the same things as us and that it is hugely bad form of others to point out inconvenient facts which contradict this vew.

This tendency - to let your opinion determine the facts you take account of - is not confined to the Left of course. It's just that at the moment we are having a reduction ad absurdum example from them.

Not exactly. The question is how to deal with ghastly people who are significantly impacting normal life, rather than to suppose that they're really quite OK. Northern Ireland illustrated the problem - the early attempts to end the Troubles through deals with moderates failed since the (in my view clearly bonkers - what sane person kills innocent people to shift a border within the EU?) extremists were not involved.In the end, we did a deal with the extremists, which has more or less worked. I think that has been helped rather than hindered by a willingness to listen to what they said, so we could see whether there was a basis for a deal or not, and I'm in favour of backbenchers playing a part in that, as it's often a sensible prelude to more official contacts.

But we've been over this a few times now!
    But it was only possible to do a deal with (most of) the extremists when they were themselves willing to give sufficient ground to make a deal involving all sides viable. Britain could have done all the listening it like in the 1970s and 1980s and it wouldn't have made any difference. Indeed, it could well have signalled that the government was willing to concede significant ground and that the armed campaign was winning. Ultimately, Britain only did deals with the Irish extremists when one side came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth continuing with the fight if there was a reasonable political deal on the table. Under Lloyd George, it was the UK government that buckled; in the 1990s, it was the republicans.

Where terrorists have limited political ends, talks may be possible. Where their aims are either much more ambitious, or where they would impose an unjust settlement, or where there is no willingness to compromise, talks will not only not be possible but would be unwise. Where war is politics by other means then it is still politics, and politics holds a means to a solution. Where it isn't - where its aim is outright conquest, for example - the fire has to be met with fire.
  • Options
    Still no Queen thread.

Since the Queen wants to play it low key I guess OGH is hoping for an OBE.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    edited September 2015
    And on topic, tipping point.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015
    DanSmith said:

Intriguing - am told senior supporter of Corbyn asked him to consider pulling out of the race a few weeks ago

If Corbyn wins, he'll cling on like a limpet.

Jezzer's not going to give up Precious once it's in his grasp.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

Oh feck off. We've only just had one. I would like government business here at Holyrood to focus on running the country.
    We need to focus on what the SNP are doing and get some form of useful opposition going.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I'm hoping for a Scalextric... For my son, honestly.
    Scalextric are a lot like breasts. Designed for kids but it's the Dads who end up playing with them the most.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

Oh feck off. We've only just had one. I would like government business here at Holyrood to focus on running the country.
    We need to focus on what the SNP are doing and get some form of useful opposition going.

But that is just not going to happen. The SNP are going to win another overall majority next year and that means constitutional issues will dominate. For Scotland that is not good at all. So the country has to decide once and for all what it wants.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

And on topic, tipping point.

BOOM.

Whatever became of Stuart Dickson?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

(though there should be some mechanism to allow a Scot in Scotland to become PM)

I think at a push we could reluctantly accept an arrangement which lacked such a mechanism.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

well that's precisely what the SNP don't want. And it didn't put it to bed last time. It is a convenient device for the SNP to have and try to hold over Westminster's head. The PM should ignore it.

It's hard to see how the SNP could turn down the offer of another referendum without splitting.

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

It's hard to see how the SNP could turn down the offer of another referendum without splitting.

Agree. They also know they won't be offered one.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

But that is just not going to happen. The SNP are going to win another overall majority next year and that means constitutional issues will dominate. For Scotland that is not good at all. So the country has to decide once and for all what it wants.
    We did.

Time now to focus on running the country.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Holy moly harriet harman is very irritating.Imagine having to listen to that voice all day. jeeeeeez
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

He shouldn't ignore it. He should give Scotland Full Fiscal autonomy, and Federalism - now.

Just do it. It's what the Scots want, and if they don't get it they will leave, in the end, anyway. It also addresses the WLQ (though there should be some mechanism to allow a Scot in Scotland to become PM) - which is good for England and ruinous for Labour. Win win.

Labour is finished in Scotland, so a federal UK is not really going to make much difference.

• Options

Still no Queen thread.

Since the Queen wants to play it low key I guess OGH is hoping for an OBE.

Sadly no Queen thread today. If it is any consolation last night I sang very loudly at thousands of Aussies

"God Save YOUR Queen"
  • Options
    watford30 said:

DanSmith said:

Labour can't just get rid of Corbyn, they need to let him try and probably fail. If they do oust him, who do they have to put in his place and will the members accept them. I realise that the MPs can just not nominate any left wingers next time, but that may cause a bit of an outcry.
    Democracy must count for something.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

I don't think the public is in a mood to decide once and for all. TSE is right to link this indysurge to Trump, Corbyn and LEAVE. Across the West voters are in mood to be capricious and unpredictable, to do mad and silly things, to jump in the Thames on a bleary Mayday dawn wearing full black tie, to vote for insane left or right wing politicians, from Sanders to Le Pen, so as to give the boring mainstream establishment a kicking.

The voters aren't deciding, they're chucking a tantrum.
    This all day long.

Offering a new referendum now is moronic.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

I don't think the public is in a mood to decide once and for all. TSE is right to link this indysurge to Trump, Corbyn and LEAVE. Across the West voters are in mood to be capricious and unpredictable, to do mad and silly things, to jump in the Thames on a bleary Mayday dawn wearing full black tie, to vote for insane left or right wing politicians, from Sanders to Le Pen, so as to give the boring mainstream establishment a kicking.

The voters aren't deciding, they're chucking a tantrum.

The electorate is (rightly) dissatisfied, that is completely true. But the constitutional uncertainty has real world consequences that are no good for anyone.
  • Options
    Davis and Cameron are not going to be friends any time soon!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

We did.

As if.

• Options

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

We did.

As if.

I know...
    Makes me very depressed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,909

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

What if the outcome is the same as last year?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

first?

Yet another Labour leader he's seen off....
  • Options
    Not being an expert on reading polls: is this one (and was the Mori one) weighted on how respondents voted in the referendum last year?

And being thick, I also have to ask: does it matter if they weren't?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

Then practically speaking that kills the issue.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Well said, I'm amazed at @SouthamObserver saying roll over, when he claims to be passionate about the Union. No won by a significant margin.

Polls smolls.

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

We did.

• Options

Not being an expert on reading polls: is this one (and was the Mori one) weighted on how respondents voted in the referendum last year?

Ipsos Mori don't past vote weight. They weight to demographics.

TNS do the following

To ensure the sample was representative of the adult population of Scotland, it was weighted to match population estimates for working status within gender, age, social grade and Scottish Parliament region, and to match turnout and share of vote from the 2011 Holyrood election (constituency vote) and the 2015 General Election.
  • Options
    Mr. T, federalism could work, but requires an English Parliament.

Won't happen. The left want to carve England into shitty fiefdoms, the Conservatives seem afraid of emasculating Westminster.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Well said, I'm amazed at @SouthamObserver saying roll over, when he claims to be passionate about the Union. No won by a significant margin.

Polls smolls.

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

We did.

I am passionate about it. But I am in a minority. So why get het up? I have my views, most disagree with them. And so the world turns. Life is generally very good.

• Options
    watford30 said:

DanSmith said:

It's not him, it's the motley band of the Labour left which want to re-mould Labour. They need time to take over the machinery of the party.

They already have a plan for it to boost the membership vote in many ways which would push Labour into a very different beast.
  • Options

first?

Point of order - temporary stand-ins only count as half points. :lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

He shouldn't ignore it. He should give Scotland Full Fiscal autonomy, and Federalism - now.

Just do it. It's what the Scots want, and if they don't get it they will leave, in the end, anyway. It also addresses the WLQ (though there should be some mechanism to allow a Scot in Scotland to become PM) - which is good for England and ruinous for Labour. Win win.

Labour is finished in Scotland, so a federal UK is not really going to make much difference.

Disagree completely. Nothing is forever and this SNP supremacy will assuredly end - perhaps sooner than anyone realises. Perhaps after they get tax raising powers and people finally focus on what they do, rather than what they say.

And when the Nats fall back, as they will, I am pretty sure Labour will return (if the UK still exists, and I think it will). They might not ever achieve 40+ seats again, but 20-30 would be feasible. Federalism prevents Labour from using these MPs to run England.

I'd be very happy with a federal UK. It would be my ideal outcome. The problem with it, though, from a government perspective is that it gives more power to MPs and reduces the power of the executive. That's why EV4EL is so attractive. It makes the votes of English MPs much less powerful by turning an overall Tory majority of 12 into one of 60 or so, while also increasing the proportion of MPs (ministers, aides etc) who can never vote against the government.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2015

Won't happen. The left want to carve England into shitty fiefdoms, the Conservatives seem afraid of emasculating Westminster.

We needn't worry what the left think for a very long time. They will argue about angels and pinheads while Osborne remoulds the country. It is an astonishing abdication of responsibility by the opposition.
  • Options

It's not that fricking difficult.

Turn the HoL into a Senate (second chamber for all 4 regional parliaments). Turn the House of Commons into the English Parliament.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,681
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

In much more important news, the John Lewis builders have finally left my flat, and my new kitchen is finished.

Oh my word. Carved granite worktop, crimson glass splashbacks. SEXY. My kitchen is SEXY.

Um. Sorry, but ... that all sounds rather ... well ... retro.

To me, anyway.
  • Options
    The 4 scenarios mentioned above would please me enormously, I suspect I'm not the only one. Rid of Scotland and the EU, the entertainment provided by Corbyn and Trump, my cup runneth over.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

But that doesn't make any sense - 2 years out from the IndyRef, when everything was very, very safe, support for Indy was sub 35%.

It rose as we got closer to the Referendum and now you are saying it makes sense for it to rise as we get further away. You are basically saying that support for Indy can only got up.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, I agree it's not difficult. I'm saying there's no political will to achieve it.

Mr. Foxinsox, the meltdown in the opposition since the election is phenomenal. It's bloody bizarre. Labour must be dreaming of those halcyon days when the biggest problem was explaining why a man incapable of dealing with a bacon sandwich ought to be PM.
  • Options

The 4 scenarios mentioned above would please me enormously, I suspect I'm not the only one. Rid of Scotland and the EU, the entertainment provided by Corbyn and Trump, my cup runneth over.

No, you're the only one.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

In much more important news, the John Lewis builders have finally left my flat, and my new kitchen is finished.

Oh my word. Carved granite worktop, crimson glass splashbacks. SEXY. My kitchen is SEXY.

Pah! I bet it hasn't an island only slightly smaller than Greenland, has it?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    An interesting job ad today.

Manager - Advanced Analytics Enablement Visualization

I have no idea what that means.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    SNP should concentrate at Holyrood on the economy whimper a number of unionist PBers.

Tell that to their opponents who do far less of that than do the SNP, as the electorate have noticed.
  • Options

first?

Point of order - temporary stand-ins only count as half points. :lol:
    Add Harriet together with Beckett then...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MattW said:

SeanT said:

To me, anyway.
    No, trust me, it's gorgeous. The builder was just proudly taking photos. It's all sleek and modern and the sparkling red glass is LUXURIOUS. I want to sleep in my kitchen. Fuck it, I want to sleep WITH my kitchen.
    Wish i'd gone with granite now instead of the solid oak worktops we chose. Looked great for about a week. A complete pain in the arse to maintain
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's not that fricking difficult.

Turn the HoL into a Senate (second chamber for all 4 regional parliaments). Turn the House of Commons into the English Parliament.

Works for me.

• Options
    Mr. T, you sound like you want a second kitchen.

If you suddenly get the urge to chisel nonsense into an obelisk, please see your physician before your Miliband Syndrome reaches the end stage.

Anyway, I'm off for a bit.
  • Options
    Blackburn63 You are not alone..believe me..
  • Options

TNS do the following

To ensure the sample was representative of the adult population of Scotland, it was weighted to match population estimates for working status within gender, age, social grade and Scottish Parliament region, and to match turnout and share of vote from the 2011 Holyrood election (constituency vote) and the 2015 General Election.

So not weighted by Indy Ref vote. Is that important?

• Options
    "So if the polling is correct,"

Are we seriously paying attention to opinion polls at the moment? I know they're the grist to the mill of this site and give us loads of things to talk about, but the way people are speaking it's as if May's polling disaster never occurred.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MattW said:

SeanT said:

To me, anyway.
    No, trust me, it's gorgeous. The builder was just proudly taking photos. It's all sleek and modern and the sparkling red glass is LUXURIOUS. I want to sleep in my kitchen. Fuck it, I want to sleep WITH my kitchen.
    Be careful - that's not what the waste recycling duct is for.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MattW said:

SeanT said:

To me, anyway.
    Wish i'd gone with granite now instead of the solid oak worktops we chose. Looked great for about a week. A complete pain in the arse to maintain

You just need to make sure you oil them regularly for a few weeks. After that they look after themselves. Ours do, anyway.

• Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

I have no problem with Scotland being a nation exercising home rule. However, my view is that full independence would compromise the collective security and defence of the island of Great Britain. We could easily end up having separate foreign policies, and the border at Berwick and Gretna Green could end up being formalised with implications for both economys and free movement across the island.

Both nations would be weaker as a result.

This is exactly what happened prior to the Union of crowns and act of union. I'd support any scenario that maintains Union on foreign policy, defence, security services, asylum and immigration and a common currency.

However, sadly, it may be too late for that now.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MattW said:

SeanT said:

To me, anyway.
    It took ten burly blokes to carry in the granite top for our island. There haven't been so many chaps lugging one piece of stone since they built the Great Pyramid at Giza....
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    SeanT said:

Aberdeen granite? I guess you're only agitating for Scottish independence so you can show off your fancy foreign kitchen?
  • Options
    SR That is why her husband looks and sounds as miserable as he does..he is stuck with it
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

In bioinformatics these days, visualization of data is all the rage. It helps a lot with analyzing massive data sets. I suspect it is some new field related to Big Data.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MattW said:

SeanT said:

To me, anyway.

You just need to make sure you oil them regularly for a few weeks. After that they look after themselves. Ours do, anyway.

I'm sure your wife would agree ;-)
  • Options

TNS do the following

So not weighted by Indy Ref vote. Is that important?

Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference. But I think weighting to 2015 GE boosts the Yes score.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Creating diagrams, graphs, charts and other mechanisms to detect useful patterns in customer-related, extra-company or intra-company data.

For added points, they should have added 'real-time'/

I guess.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

Then practically speaking that kills the issue.

No. The only answer the nationalist will ever accept is "yes". More referenda will keep being demanded until that is achieved.

The only thing that could kill it for a generation IMHO is if a vote were taken on a new constitutional arrangement within the UK, which the Scots then endorsed by a margin of 2:1 or greater.
  • Options

first?

He's seen her off twice, so he's had practice at these tributes.

In fact, I think Cameron has (or will this weekend) set a new record in having faced four permanent leaders of both other major parties, something only Baldwin had previously done. However, Cameron has also faced Harman (twice) and Cable in their temporary roles.

(Thatcher and Blair both faced eight across the two parties but with a 5/3 split).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Having recently been to Greenland...

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/640152534464663553

I can confirm that my kitchen is considerably smaller. And warmer.
    I was aware. Am still tinged a certain shade of green at your jaunt. On the bucket list....
  • Options

Thankyou, my analogy of the UK is a ship listing, it tilts very slowly, as it is about to capsize it lurches dramatically back the other way before righting itself again. I gauge the public mood by the amount of wailing from the handwringers, Toynbee et al are at fever pitch, they sense their time is up, thank heavens.

• Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

In bioinformatics these days, visualization of data is all the rage. It helps a lot with analyzing massive data sets. I suspect it is some new field related to Big Data.
    It's for Toilet and Douche....

Provide complete operations services for application management, custom development, and business process outsourcing for clients. Develop the post implementation go-live support environment, construct the transition plan from the project team to the support team, and support and maintain the client applications and technology infrastructure
  • Options
    Nice analogy.

Thankyou, my analogy of the UK is a ship listing, it tilts very slowly, as it is about to capsize it lurches dramatically back the other way before righting itself again. I gauge the public mood by the amount of wailing from the handwringers, Toynbee et al are at fever pitch, they sense their time is up, thank heavens.

• Options

Tim_B said:

Creating diagrams, graphs, charts and other mechanisms to detect useful patterns in customer-related, extra-company or intra-company data.

I guess.
    I once met a guy from Shell whose business card said "Director, Knowledge".

I wonder if I have accidentally met God?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

MattW said:

SeanT said:

To me, anyway.
    'sparkling red glass'

Has it been installed in a large caravan parked next to some Dodgems?
  • Options

Now there is someone who is seriously more deranged than Trump. Read his back story and legal issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    It is – as they say on social media – top trolling of the House of Windsor to arrange for the Queen to spend today on a public visit in Scotland. Of course, she is in Scotland at Balmoral for the entirety of August and September, as she is every year. But it is tremendously amusing that she will travel to the Borders to take a train ride with Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon. Seeing their “here today, gone tomorrow” political heroine sitting there smiling alongside a giant of history and superstar monarch will drive a lot of Scottish Nationalists – who cannot stand the monarchy – completely bananas. What a bonus, on this marvellous day.
    http://www.capx.co/god-save-the-queen/
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    We do not seem to engage in who won PMQs anymore... today I think Cameron knocked hem all about a bit..That green MP from Brighton is almost as happy as Harriet Harman..Has Wedgie Benns lad taken any refugees onto his late dads tax free estate yet.. ...thought so
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    No 64100 Royal Scot has been returned to steam, pity she wasn't available to haul today's train for HMQ and Nicola Sturgeon.

http://www.iconsofsteam.com/locos/royal-scot/
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

Disagree completely. Nothing is forever and this SNP supremacy will assuredly end - perhaps sooner than anyone realises. Perhaps after they get tax raising powers and people finally focus on what they do, rather than what they say.

And when the Nats fall back, as they will, I am pretty sure Labour will return (if the UK still exists, and I think it will). They might not ever achieve 40+ seats again, but 20-30 would be feasible. Federalism prevents Labour from using these MPs to run England.

I'd be very happy with a federal UK. It would be my ideal outcome. The problem with it, though, from a government perspective is that it gives more power to MPs and reduces the power of the executive. That's why EV4EL is so attractive. It makes the votes of English MPs much less powerful by turning an overall Tory majority of 12 into one of 60 or so, while also increasing the proportion of MPs (ministers, aides etc) who can never vote against the government.

There are a lot of problems with English votes for English laws, but that is not one of them. The strengths and weaknesses of a constitutional system shouldn't be based on the partisan mix of one particular five year parliament.
  • Options
    @JoeWatts_: George Osborne confirms the Autumn Statement will be on the same day as the Spending Review - Wednesday Nov 25 https://t.co/kvHC1DTyL6
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I guess.
    I once met a guy from Shell whose business card said "Director, Knowledge".

I wonder if I have accidentally met God?
    I doubt it. I wasn't there that day. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It is – as they say on social media – top trolling of the House of Windsor to arrange for the Queen to spend today on a public visit in Scotland. Of course, she is in Scotland at Balmoral for the entirety of August and September, as she is every year. But it is tremendously amusing that she will travel to the Borders to take a train ride with Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon. Seeing their “here today, gone tomorrow” political heroine sitting there smiling alongside a giant of history and superstar monarch will drive a lot of Scottish Nationalists – who cannot stand the monarchy – completely bananas. What a bonus, on this marvellous day.
    http://www.capx.co/god-save-the-queen/

And Labour getting all hot under the collar about us atomising a couple of oiks who were trying to knock off HM the Q.

Labour really don't do politics any more, do they?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited September 2015
    If the Commons was an English parliament and the Lords a UK one, would there be separate governments chosen from each?

I'm not sure I'm a fan of unicameralism. It means a PM with a big majority has virtually no checks on their power at all.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    SeanT said:

Engineered composite is the best and darling, crimson is so Avengers circa 1970s. As for the sexy - is this some sort of compensatory thing you got there?
  • Options
    I caught two mins and Cammo seemed to be totally in charge. The next one will be fab.

We do not seem to engage in who won PMQs anymore... today I think Cameron knocked hem all about a bit..That green MP from Brighton is almost as happy as Harriet Harman..Has Wedgie Benns lad taken any refugees onto his late dads tax free estate yet.. ...thought so

• Options
    JEO said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt @SouthamObserver

and now on topic:

There are a lot of problems with English votes for English laws, but that is not one of them. The strengths and weaknesses of a constitutional system shouldn't be based on the partisan mix of one particular five year parliament.

I agree. But that's exactly what the current proposals do.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Lots of Union flags on show in Edinburgh to day for the Queen

Which makes this even funnier

@JamieRoss7: I see #The45 are actually buying little saltire stickers to put over the "butcher's apron" on their driving licences. http://t.co/06XK9ckUUZ
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Lots of Union flags on show in Edinburgh to day for the Queen

Which makes this even funnier

@JamieRoss7: I see #The45 are actually buying little saltire stickers to put over the "butcher's apron" on their driving licences. http://t.co/06XK9ckUUZ
    The stickers contain an RFID tag for the Reapers to track.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

It's for Toilet and Douche....

Provide complete operations services for application management, custom development, and business process outsourcing for clients. Develop the post implementation go-live support environment, construct the transition plan from the project team to the support team, and support and maintain the client applications and technology infrastructure
    Sorry, fell asleep before I got to the end of that.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    I don't understand why you think there would be a referendum on Scots independence in the next "14 months or so".

We had one last year. No UK PM is going to grant another one in the foreseeable future, and any referendum held by the SNP administration itself would be illegal, declared as such by the Courts, and of no force or weight whatsoever (not least because the forces of Unionism would urge a boycott of the illegal SNP referendum).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Having recently been to Greenland...

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/640152534464663553

I can confirm that my kitchen is considerably smaller. And warmer.
    I was aware. Am still tinged a certain shade of green at your jaunt. On the bucket list....
    GO. It is absolutely amazing. And if you go, go to Ilulissat, and go to Disko Bay, and then take the boat to Equ glacier and stay at Equ glacier lodge. Where I stayed. one of the most magical evenings of my life. You will be the only people for 50 miles, or more. The nearest big city is THOUSANDS of miles away. The glacier calves icebergs through the night, roaring and rumbling like a muted but very angry God, trapped in an icy tomb.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/640153837274206208

Many thanks. Made a note of the hotel details...
  • Options
    Scott P..Were the Scots not eager participants in creating the Butchers Apron...or was it just those nasty English,Welsh, and the Irish
  • Options
    I've just seen Ms Sturgeon almost choaking on her speech praising HMQ.

Most amusing viewing.

Scott P..Were the Scots not eager participants in creating the Butchers Apron...or was it just those nasty English,Welsh, and the Irish

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Seriously, Scots, you had to know 12 months ago Tory government was possible, even if it did not seem likely, what else has changed that is swaying you?