Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This might end the mini Cooper surge and the Burnham slump

13»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Jeremy Corbyn would allow taxpayers to opt out of paying for the army
    http://www.sunnation.co.uk/taxpayers-should-be-able-to-opt-out-of-funding-army-corbyn-says/

Could we opt out of paying for politicians?
    That would be a popular policy.

Applying the opt-out logic, why should people without kids have to pay for schools. Once you start the opt-out idea it's the start of the slippery slope.

Presumably people will be able to opt out of the BBC too. That will go down well...
    I've often thought that they should use overseas aid to pay for the world service.

Believe the cost is £400m p.a., which would be a very useful £15 off each licence fee (there are around 25m out at the moment)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

john_zims said:

@flightpath01
    'And what in return? '
    They get access to sell their products in the second largest market in Europe.

Europe itself is a bigger market. Quite a bit bigger in fact.

I'm quite happy being in the EEA, if by some clever device we can still avoid being in Schengen - and this still encourages us as the biggest source of EU inward investment. Of course in every other respect it will make very little difference to any movement of labour between countries or our agreement to EU standards. We may as well be still in.
    Except that we no longer control our future as we seem to be in a permanent minority.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Parliament is to consider for debate the following epetition after it reached 100,000 signatures:

"Benjamin Netanyahu to be arrested for war crimes when he arrives in London

Benjamin Netanyahu is to hold talks in London this September. Under international law he should be arrested for war crimes upon arrival in the U.K for the massacre of over 2000 civilians in 2014"

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105446
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    AndyJS said:

Parliament is to consider for debate the following epetition after it reached 100,000 signatures:

"Benjamin Netanyahu to be arrested for war crimes when he arrives in London

Benjamin Netanyahu is to hold talks in London this September. Under international law he should be arrested for war crimes upon arrival in the U.K for the massacre of over 2000 civilians in 2014"

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105446

Will they actually have to vote yes/no to arrest him in the chamber? That'd be fun.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

rcs1000

'I think NAFTA, with its ISDA provisions, is more denuding of sovereignty than EFTA/EEA. I don't think a provincial government in any EEA country has been forced to roll back decisions by a democratically elected local government, for example. (This happened in Quebec where an ISDA court ruled that Quebec's banning of genetically modified foods was to the disadvantage of American company Monsanto.)'

Nothing is perfect.

But you come up with one example of a democratically elected government having to roll back a decision versus the UK democratically elected government having around 60% of its legislation imposed on it by the EU that nobody elected..

I think I could live with the Canadian situation.

I couldn't. No point in going out of the frying pan and into the fire, or vice versa. We could just try being us. I really don't see the issue.
  • Options

Everything has happened before, sadly people think history stopped and we are somehow different. Future generations will regard us as one of the most unutterably stupid generations in the history of mankind.

If everything has happened before, then people thinking history has stopped must have happened before, so those in the future thinking we were unutterably stupid for that reason would be being failed by their poor historical knowledge.

That's not why they would think we were unutterably stupid. They would think we were stupid because by any objective measure, we are stupid. Take political correctness for example. People being arrested for offensive remarks on twitter, whilst child rapists go unpunished. To the impartial observer of history, that's a civilisation circling the plughole.