Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We have the first poll with Trump leading Clinton

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We have the first poll with Trump leading Clinton

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump leads Democrat Hillary Clinton head-to-head, according to a new poll released Friday. The poll by SurveyUSA finds that matched up directly, Trump garners 45 percent to Clinton’s 40 percent.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    Second. Like Clinton.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    The bloody curse of the new thread strikes again. Forgive me for posting this here as well but I do want Mr. Jessop to see it.

@JossiasJessup

When it comes to negotiation timing is so important. Having done a lot of preliminary spadework I finally asked the question of Herself while she was sitting replete and content after a damn good Sunday lunch cooked by me.

Anyway, I can go to Duxford for the airshow on Saturday 19th but, and this is the best bit, only if I travel by train and I stay overnight in Cambridge ("I am not having you travelling in the dark").

Result! Not only do I go to the airshow but I get a night on the pop.

Shall I buy a ticket for you? I was thinking maybe we could meet at the station from whence a bus will run to the airshow. Do let me know.
  • Options

PT We have now established that it was not because of his dental problem.. in spite of his sister stating this..He was not being persecuted or even threatened by his former torturers. He just wanted a better life in Europe...so he bundled his non swimming family into a leaking dinghy at night,twice.. only one life jacket apparently. They all perished as a result of his actions.The man was an economic migrant at this stage... not a war refugee.. and that was probably why his applications were refused...

No the Canadians have said his brothers application was refused because the paperwork was incomplete. His paperwork was not filed.
    Which was another inconsistency, as he said he had applied. Either that or his sister said she'd applied for him when she hadn't, which I'm not inclined to believe.

Or the media misreported.
    It was a direct quote in the Mirror piece.
    Canadian reports are saying she never said that. But obviously its beyond the realms of possibility for the Mirror to make a mistake/make a quote up.
    She didn't say that, he did.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/dad-drowned-syrian-boy-aylan-6376651

“I tried to seek asylum in Canada but my application was rejected."
  • Options
    F1: still no resolution on the potential penalty (or penalties) post-race. I'll wait a little longer to finish off the post-race analysis, and update/comment on it when the picture becomes clearer.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Jeez.

Someone convince Michelle Obama to run. She'd wipe the floor vs Trump.
  • Options
    FPT: LuckyGuy1983

Apologies for being personal, but might 1983 refer to the year of your birth?

If so you probably luckily have no, or limited, memories of a less benign Russia that that which purports to be present today.

That doesn't make you wrong, or us older folk right - just we may be a little less trusting.....
  • Options

Well played Sir!

Though I wouldn't underestimate the charms of having a night to herself on 'the management! ;-)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    CV I have never been to Russia but in 83ish I spent some time in East Germany.. If that was Russia's showcase to the west and an advert for Soviet living then I dread to think what it must have been like inside Russia itself..and then there was the horror as a child waiting for the four minute warning..that fear lasted for many years,
  • Options
    Hillary Clinton Will Never Be President
  • Options
  • Options

Well played Sir!

Though I wouldn't underestimate the charms of having a night to herself on 'the management! ;-)
    Fair point, Mrs Vance and I am sure she will be glad to see the back of me for what will be the best part of a weekend and having the house and cat to herself. Have you ever read Jerome? There is a section at the beginning of "The Bummel" in which he lays elaborate plans for getting his wife to agree that he should go off on holiday with Harris and George only to find his wife jumped at the idea's first mention. Jerome felt hurt at the lack of wifely dedication for want of a better word.
  • Options

CV I have never been to Russia but in 83ish I spent some time in East Germany.. If that was Russia's showcase to the west and an advert for Soviet living then I dread to think what it must have been like inside Russia itself..

I was in the USSR in 1982 - at the start of the Falklands War - people would stop you in the lift and ask you 'what's happening?'

The Russians were as confused as Reagan (Kirkpatrick's) USA - 'who are the bad guys'?

The 'Colonial Power' (in place before Argentina was founded) or the Right Wing Military Dictatorship 'Liberators'?

By the time I got back from Siberia the US President (an age behind the US people, who had almost (yes - IRA Boston, I mean you) no doubt from the start) had decided that the 'will of the people' trumped 'military invasion' any day of the week - so it the familiar record was taken down from the shelf and put on repeat.....

But having visited the USSR - I doubt (m)any of those who lived there (who are still alive) would want to go back!
  • Options
    F1: don't want to give spoilers, so I'll be vague. Seems there has been a rule contravened. Penalty has not been decided. It could make a material difference to the result. Or not.

Mildly surprised it's taking this long. Can't remember how long it took Ricciardo to be disqualified from his 2nd place finish in Australia last year.
  • Options

Well played Sir!

Fair point, Mrs Vance and I am sure she will be glad to see the back of me for what will be the best part of a weekend and having the house and cat to herself. Have you ever read Jerome? There is a section at the beginning of "The Bummel" in which he lays elaborate plans for getting his wife to agree that he should go off on holiday with Harris and George only to find his wife jumped at the idea's first mention. Jerome felt hurt at the lack of wifely dedication for want of a better word.
    Oh yes - the advice of the Doctor on the perils of consulting a Medical Dictionary ring especially true today - especially when so much is available online!

Though I have yet to try the prescription!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Isis are threatening to capture a vital highway in Syria - the loss of which could push millions of refugees out of government-held areas

Exclusive: Though the Assad regime may not be about to collapse, any sign that it is weakening could convince millions of Syrians that it is time to leave the country"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/isis-are-threatening-to-capture-a-vital-highway-in-syria--the-loss-of-which-could-push-millions-of-refugees-out-of-governmentheld-areas-10488379.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Is this the immigration thread?
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, no but the topic has travelled here from many threads ago.
  • Options

If so you probably luckily have no, or limited, memories of a less benign Russia that that which purports to be present today.

That doesn't make you wrong, or us older folk right - just we may be a little less trusting.....

It does, and I don't consider your comment at all personal.

I don't particularly 'trust' Russia, and I wouldn't advocate doing so. I merely think there's nothing for us in antagonising them. It's a US geopolitical aim to eventually break up the Russian Federation (and eventually China). They will obviously fail, and fail messily. I advocate being circumspect in our support for that ambition. I'm not stupid, I'm not calling for us to declare war on Uncle Sam and man the barricades.

• Options

Well played Sir!

Oh yes - the advice of the Doctor on the perils of consulting a Medical Dictionary ring especially true today - especially when so much is available online!

Which bit of the prescription causes you to shy away? Is it:

One ten mile walk every morning

One pint of bitter beer and one pound of steak every six hours

One bed at 11 sharp

or, maybe,

Don't stuff up you head with things you don't understand

Whichever, Jerome's physician was a very wise fellow.
  • Options

F1: don't want to give spoilers, so I'll be vague. Seems there has been a rule contravened. Penalty has not been decided. It could make a material difference to the result. Or not.

Mildly surprised it's taking this long. Can't remember how long it took Ricciardo to be disqualified from his 2nd place finish in Australia last year.

Even by F1 standards this seems farcical. Tom Brady would be proud.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

The bloody curse of the new thread strikes again. Forgive me for posting this here as well but I do want Mr. Jessop to see it.

@JossiasJessup

When it comes to negotiation timing is so important. Having done a lot of preliminary spadework I finally asked the question of Herself while she was sitting replete and content after a damn good Sunday lunch cooked by me.

Anyway, I can go to Duxford for the airshow on Saturday 19th but, and this is the best bit, only if I travel by train and I stay overnight in Cambridge ("I am not having you travelling in the dark").

Shall I buy a ticket for you? I was thinking maybe we could meet at the station from whence a bus will run to the airshow. Do let me know.

I've just seen that Duxford are doing a 20 Spitfire "scramble" re-enactment. That is seriously tempting me up from Devon....
  • Options

Tonight's thread is about Toby Perkins.
  • Options

It's a US geopolitical aim to eventually break up the Russian Federation (and eventually China).

Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

• Options
    F1: on the plus side, the fact it wasn't shown live on the BBC means I'm not having to listen to Tom Clarkson ramble inanely about it. Just checking Twitter occasionally.

Incidentally, a similar thing apparently happened in GP2. The chap [who shall not be named as yet] was disqualified.
  • Options

@JossiasJessup

I've just seen that Duxford are doing a 20 Spitfire "scramble" re-enactment. That is seriously tempting me up from Devon....
    It's a very long way from Devon, Mr. Mark. If you do make it then you would not be wise to travel back on the same day. So perhaps a night on the pop in Cambridge beckons for you too. I am sure Mr.Jessop can recommend a good ethnic restaurant that will cater for tired, hungry and, especially, thirsty plane spotters.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    On the previous thread, someone suggested Assad should be supported to take back control of Syria tied to agreement on democratic reforms.

Why would Assad possibly implement democratic elections? He is an Alawite in a majority Sunni, deeply sectarian country. He knows full well that democracy would see him immediately voted out of office.

Syria like Iraq needs a federal system where the Sunni bit has someone other than ISIS in charge.
  • Options

You might as well write a thread about Diana Ross at the moment, it would stay on topic just as long.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

@JossiasJessup

It's a very long way from Devon, Mr. Mark. If you do make it then you would not be wise to travel back on the same day. So perhaps a night on the pop in Cambridge beckons for you too. I am sure Mr.Jessop can recommend a good ethnic restaurant that will cater for tired, hungry and, especially, thirsty plane spotters.
    Mr HL, indeed, would stay over - although might have the Good Lady Wifi in tow!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited September 2015
    New career for Iain Dale...

https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/640524823425380352

(If someone could teach me how to embed a tweet..?)

Edit 2: that's odd, when I refreshed it was there.
  • Options

I don't particularly 'trust' Russia, and I wouldn't advocate doing so. I merely think there's nothing for us in antagonising them. It's a US geopolitical aim to eventually break up the Russian Federation (and eventually China). They will obviously fail, and fail messily. I advocate being circumspect in our support for that ambition. I'm not stupid, I'm not calling for us to declare war on Uncle Sam and man the barricades.

Where on Earth did you get the idea that the US wants to break up Russia and China? I have to say your world view seems to depend on the nefarious parts of the US government both being incredibly intelligent (to get away with planning the grandest of conspiracies in 9/11), and incredibly stupid (believing it's possible to break up China).
  • Options

You might as well write a thread about Diana Ross at the moment, it would stay on topic just as long.
    I think I might ask people to stay on topic or if they want to discuss immigration go to the Daily Mail.

The liberal elite has spoken.
  • Options
    Did I imagine it, or was it said in previous thread that the far left were hinting at an anti-EU stance? Have these fellows have no compassion for the Eddie, Marcus and Stephens of this world whose comfortable, well paid careers at the BBC depends on them maintaining their modish, modern images of effortless intellectual superiority which could not survive them being outflanked on the left.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

JEO said:

The facts on the ground have certainly improved the arguments for Leave in the last couple of months. As the Euro members can't be trusted to respect previous agreements we need to make sure there is a robust system for non-Euro members to be protected. And unless we want hundreds of thousands of second hand refugees from Germany on top of the immigration we already have, we need changes to Free Movement.

As an absolute bare minimum, the EU needs to immediately introduce a Refugee Passport, which has no Schengen rights attaching and gives right of residence (and welfare) ONLY in the country issuing that Refugee Passport. No refugee should baulk at this requirement. And it would do much to defuse the fears of refugees deciding they like another EU country better. If Germany wants to issue 800,000 such passports, fine. If Denmark only wants to issue 800, fine. It becomes a national choice, not an EU-wide fait accompli.
    That would be a very sensible solution.

Although people do seem to be confusing "free movement of labour" with "Schengen". Free movement allows all EU citizens to move to the UK, even though we're not in Schengen.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, very sensible. And it's never going to happen. Euroland's train only moves in one direction, I fear.
  • Options
    JEO.. It is the 83rs...still working out why that tyrant Kennedy was so nasty to that nice cuddly Mr Krushev and uncle Fidel..
  • Options
    JEO said:

Where on Earth did you get the idea that the US wants to break up Russia and China?
    RT?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

I think I might ask people to stay on topic or if they want to discuss immigration go to the Daily Mail.

The liberal elite has spoken.
    We could start /r/PBOutcasts ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

That might just be Supreme[ly] ironic:)
  • Options

Well played Sir!

One pint of bitter beer and one pound of steak every six hours
    4lb of steak a day did strike me as challenging!

That said the fundamentals 'don't worry, eat well and exercise' are as sound today as they were when first written....Then of course there's the famous Alice B Toklas recipe 'start with four pounds of cream...'
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    If Trump can make the running, leading from Thanksgiving and Christmas to Easter, he's in with a good chance to get elected (nominated) by the GOP Convention on the first ballot.
  • Options
    If the UK does narrowly vote to leave the EU I think Merkel's open door policy will probably have a lot to do with it. The problem is Germany's population has dropped in recent years whereas the UK's has risen by about 10% over the last 15 years, so they have a different view on migration.
  • Options

It's a US geopolitical aim to eventually break up the Russian Federation
    The USA has been pretty 'anti-imperialist' from the start.....(we should know...)

Of course they have a blind spot when it comes to themselves, but the principle of 'self determination' has been pretty consistent......
  • Options
    Mr. JS, indeed.

The problems with Merkel's madness are that she's effectively said unlimited numbers can come, and then is trying to force compulsory migrant quotas from her country to other EU nations.

It's both stupid and unjustifiable.
  • Options
    F1; verdict imminent, apparently.

Most of the chatter on Twitter suggests engineers reckon disqualification will be the result. We shall see. Hopefully soon.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If the UK does narrowly vote to leave the EU I think Merkel's open door policy will probably have a lot to do with it. The problem is Germany's population has dropped in recent years whereas the UK's has risen by about 10% over the last 15 years, so they have a different view on migration.

I don't doubt the idiot noble Merkel is driven by the highest motives:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/09/01/britain-to-overtake-germany-as-eu-nation-with-highest-population/
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34166882

A convoy of cars driven by German and Austrian activists has crossed into Hungary to pick up migrants and help them reach western Europe.
    ----
    I wonder what the ethnic make up of those so called activists are? It's like seeing an infection of Europe by foreign bodies, and the heads of government in the EU are paralysed by fear and inaction. Well if Western Europe falls to this muslim invasion, they have only themselves to blame. I say Western Europe, because the Eastern leaders are waking up at last.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    On topic ... just to be awkward,

Who is this Ben Carson bloke? Looks like another Jezza but without the nutterish ideas. A physician, black (or whatever the Septics say nowadays), speaks his mind and a good Christian boy. Should go down well in Hicksville.

Any chance?
  • Options

@JossiasJessup

Mr HL, indeed, would stay over - although might have the Good Lady Wifi in tow!
    Having a lady with you would not be a problem, it is not as though the others that might be there are oiks from this parish. I mean not like you will be associating in person with what d'you call him - thing 'em a bob and likewise, well, never mind. And 'st 'st 'st and what's-his-name and also, well, you-know-who. The task of filling up the blanks I’d rather leave to you.

Now, having quoted both Jerome and G & S in the space of an hour, when quoting either is in the opinion of Mr. Andy Cooke, respected sometimes gent of this parish, a sign of a soul in torment, I am off for a lie down.

Play nicely.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Dodd,

"JEO.. It is the 83rs...still working out why that tyrant Kennedy was so nasty to that nice cuddly Mr Krushev and uncle Fidel."

They don't know that Fidel did his very best to prevent the 83ers from being born.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
  • Options
    "Peter Hitchens: We won't save refugees by destroying our own country"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3223828/PETER-HITCHENS-won-t-save-refugees-destroying-country.html
  • Options
    Am I allowed to say Toby Perkins is backing Andy in round 2

Or do i have to wait for tonights thread?
  • Options
    After the German Chancellor, now we have the Pope wading into migration policy:
    http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-09-06/pope-calls-on-every-parish-to-take-in-one-migrant-family/
  • Options

@JossiasJessup

Mr Llama: I have finished cooking (oh, the descent of Modern Man!), and have PM'd you, thanks. :smile:
  • Options
    Miss Plato, does he want people to be able to opt out of paying for the NHS, or benefits, or foreign aid?

The man's a fool.
  • Options

Am I allowed to say Toby Perkins is backing Andy in round 2

Or do i have to wait for tonights thread?

Toby Perkins; who he?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited September 2015
    FPT

@HurstLlama - as a family we don't impose an official line on political matters. One of my cousins funds Business for Britain; another the IEA; while my father is much more involved in industrial policy matters. You might say that we are entirely apolitical: we all vote conservative.

@SouthamObserver - as always there is a middle ground. He is not innately wicked, and it was more than a toothache. But he wasn't fleeing in fear.

FPT (2 threads ago)

@TimB @TimT - Morristown and NYC.
  • Options
    And the Finnish PM too IIRC - this is absurd.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-09-06/pope-calls-on-every-parish-to-take-in-one-migrant-family/

• Options

I guess when the pope offers his bedroom to a Muslim it is the ultimate 'virtue signal' :)

All this gesture politics is so bizarre - I guess it's just after the Dianniversary.
  • Options
    America is ready for a female President – just not this particular female….. :lol:

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited September 2015
    Miss Plato, I am unconvinced the British public, seemingly unmoved by the mass hand-wringing of the media, will be persuaded by unpopular policy suggestions coming from a German and an Argentine.

Edited extra bit: not to mention we opted out of Schengen *and* the Catholic Church [as state religion].

Growing bored waiting for the F1 result...

I'll probably wait a day or so before checking how Ladbrokes handles things, if the result is changed.
  • Options
    He's like Benjamin Button in reverse - the body of a 66yrs old with the mind of a 16yrs old.

Miss Plato, does he want people to be able to opt out of paying for the NHS, or benefits, or foreign aid?

The man's a fool.

• Options
    Miss Plato, not unlike Labour's demented mansion tax, it'd also mean having funding (this time for the armed forces, for the mansion tax it would've been the NHS) of a vital public service be variable year-on-year as employment status, wages and personal circumstances change.

Corbyn's an arse.
  • Options
    I think @Andy_JS highlighted this on FPT - it's spot on
    Actually we can’t do what we like with this country. We inherited it from our parents and grandparents and we have a duty to hand it on to our children and grandchildren, preferably improved and certainly undamaged.

It is one of the heaviest responsibilities we will ever have. We cannot just give it away to complete strangers on an impulse because it makes us feel good about ourselves.

Every one of the posturing notables simpering ‘refugees welcome’ should be asked if he or she will take a refugee family into his or her home for an indefinite period, and pay for their food, medical treatment and education.

If so, they mean it. If not, they are merely demanding that others pay and make room so that they can experience a self-righteous glow. No doubt the same people are also sentimental enthusiasts for the ‘living wage’, and ‘social housing’, when in fact open borders are steadily pushing wages down and housing costs up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3223828/PETER-HITCHENS-won-t-save-refugees-destroying-country.html#ixzz3kyNdoSQI
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

Miss Plato, I am unconvinced the British public, seemingly unmoved by the mass hand-wringing of the media, will be persuaded by unpopular policy suggestions coming from a German and an Argentine.

Edited extra bit: not to mention we opted out of Schengen *and* the Catholic Church [as state religion].

Growing bored waiting for the F1 result...

I'll probably wait a day or so before checking how Ladbrokes handles things, if the result is changed.

Lol - the Catholic church opt-out was some time ago if iirc :) Perhaps the Pope might use his good offices to persuade 'Las Malvinas' to offer refuge to a few thousand. :)
  • Options

America is ready for a female President – just not this particular female….. :lol:

Sarah Palin?
  • Options

It's a US geopolitical aim to eventually break up the Russian Federation
    The USA has been pretty 'anti-imperialist' from the start.....(we should know...)

Of course they have a blind spot when it comes to themselves, but the principle of 'self determination' has been pretty consistent......
    Except when it conflicts with the Monroe Declaration. That causes them all sorts of angst.
  • Options
    Roger Da Costa ‏@rog_ukip 33m33 minutes ago
    UK accepted 14605 Asylum Seekers last year. More than 17 other EU countries put together. (figures by Eurostat)
  • Options
    felix said:

Sarah Palin?
    Perfect. ;)
  • Options
    felix said:

Sarah Palin?
    Nah – but Palin would make an excellent Sheriff of Rock Ridge.
  • Options
    The stewards having a think is nearly longer than the race.

Miss Plato, to be fair, there's some conflict in Ukraine.
  • Options
    JEO said:

On the previous thread, someone suggested Assad should be supported to take back control of Syria tied to agreement on democratic reforms.

Why would Assad possibly implement democratic elections? He is an Alawite in a majority Sunni, deeply sectarian country. He knows full well that democracy would see him immediately voted out of office.

Syria like Iraq needs a federal system where the Sunni bit has someone other than ISIS in charge.

You display next to no knowledge of Syria. Most of Assad's army are Sunni, as are many in key Government positions. It wasn't a deeply sectarian country, it was in fact a deeply patriotic country and a model of sectarian and religious differences being sublimated to loyalty to the state - something you should be a big fan of. I suspect there is much about pre-insurgency Syria that you would be a big admirer of if you did your homework.

As to why Assad would implement reforms, he was already doing so before the conflict started in earnest, and there is no reason to assume he wouldn't continue to do so in exchange for stopping the war. I have my doubts that elections would immediately remove him, but if this is the case, it shouldn't be a problem for the US coalition to allow him to stand should it? It would prove their point. Is it not more likely that they are worried about jubilant scenes on the streets supporting him as has happened so many times in the past?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Actually we can’t do what we like with this country. We inherited it from our parents and grandparents and we have a duty to hand it on to our children and grandchildren, preferably improved and certainly undamaged.

It is one of the heaviest responsibilities we will ever have. We cannot just give it away to complete strangers on an impulse because it makes us feel good about ourselves.

We follow a 'three back, two forward' principle for major decisions.

Before taking any precipitous action ask yourself two questions:

- What would my great-grandfather have done?
    - What will my grandchildren think of my decision?

I find it concentrates the mind most splendidly
  • Options
    German population:

1995: 81.7m
    2000: 82.2m
    2005: 82.5m
    2010: 81.8m
    2014: 81.1m

The UK population was 57.9m in 1995. In 2014 it was 64.6m.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Germany
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Plato said:

Every one of the posturing notables simpering ‘refugees welcome’ should be asked if he or she will take a refugee family into his or her home for an indefinite period, and pay for their food, medical treatment and education.

If so, they mean it. If not, they are merely demanding that others pay and make room so that they can experience a self-righteous glow. No doubt the same people are also sentimental enthusiasts for the ‘living wage’, and ‘social housing’, when in fact open borders are steadily pushing wages down and housing costs up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3223828/PETER-HITCHENS-won-t-save-refugees-destroying-country.html#ixzz3kyNdoSQI
    And do they get to choose which refugee to take?

Will all the Austrians/Germans heading off to the border in their cars do any checks (nationality/size of extended family/religion) before returning home with the most domesticated-looking refugee they can find?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    On Topic,

If Donald Trump gets the Republican Nomination and Bernie Sanders the Democratic Nomination, does that leave enough space and/or appetite for a credible centrist 3rd Party Run? I'm thinking Michal Bloomberg in particular?

In the past 3rd party candidates have struggled even when they have come with millions of there own dollars, like Rose Parot.

But the two parties are no so fares apart they and extreme, puled that way by there own respective special interests, that they have become distant from some many moderate/independent voters.

Perhaps this time could be different? love to here other peoples opinions.
  • Options
    Unlike the UK, Germany refused to allow Eastern Europeans to work in their country between 2004 and 2011.
  • Options
    I keep saying it - a refugee is for life , not just for Christmas.
    TudorRose said:

Plato said:

Will all the Austrians/Germans heading off to the border in their cars do any checks (nationality/size of extended family/religion) before returning home with the most domesticated-looking refugee they can find?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    If this immigration crisis continues I could easily see Britain (including all four parts) voting "Leave".

The German position is absolutely mad and these scenes where people are welcoming them by clapping etc... paints a very misleading picture of universal support. To me it is very similar to Twitter and polls saying Labour would end up the largest party in May over here and the election result delivered Labour their worse defeat since 1987. The narrative that the German media and government, as well as a few useful idiots, are pushing is, IMO, at odds with the majority of German society.

What's worse is that over here we have the same useful idiots pushing the same idiotic agenda, thankfully the government are made up of grown ups who, for the first time in a while, are not chasing headlines or trying to look as if they are doing something.

If we are going to spend billions on this crisis, then it would be better spent on making the refugee camps and accommodations in Turkey and other neighbouring countries bearable, making Syria a functioning state, even if that means a Yugoslavia style break up along ethnic lines, and cutting a deal with Assad to eliminate ISIS. I'm sure Mr Jessop is going to go berserk again, but in the real world, real adults need to make grown up decisions. We don't live in a utopia where everyone and everything is perfect. Sometimes we have to get into bed with the lesser evil, and among all the groups in Syria, Assad is the lesser evil. ISIS, al-Nusra and the other factions are hardline Islamists who wouldn't hesitate to kill all non-Sunni people in the nation.

Opening the floodgates and accepting between four and seven million refugees/migrants into Europe is going to have a long term cost into the hundreds of billions if not more, it makes much, much more sense to spend a fraction of that cost in Syria and the surrounding countries over the next 10 years so that these people can be settled back into Syria.
  • Options
    F1: no penalty, apparently.

I'm very surprised there's been no penalty whatsoever, if that proves true.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11847477/Sixth-member-of-Cambridge-Spy-Ring-revealed.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Author claims MI6 physicist Wilfred Mann was the sixth member of the infamous Cambridge Spy Ring

A sixth member of the Cambridge Spy Ring has been revealed as an MI6 physicist known to colleagues as "Atomic Man", according to an expert who has devoted 30 years into researching the infamous group.

Wilfred Mann denied the allegations that he was a KGB agent, helping the Russians develop their own atom bomb, in his 1982 book Was There A Fifth Man?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Plato said:

I keep saying it - a refugee is for life , not just for Christmas.

TudorRose said:

Plato said:

But no 'progressive' home should be without one...!
  • Options
    Welcome Mr Rich.
    BigRich said:

On Topic,

If Donald Trump gets the Republican Nomination and Bernie Sanders the Democratic Nomination, does that leave enough space and/or appetite for a credible centrist 3rd Party Run? I'm thinking Michal Bloomberg in particular?

In the past 3rd party candidates have struggled even when they have come with millions of there own dollars, like Rose Parot.

But the two parties are no so fares apart they and extreme, puled that way by there own respective special interests, that they have become distant from some many moderate/independent voters.

Perhaps this time could be different? love to here other peoples opinions.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    Even Michael Foot and William Hague had a few poll leads so I would not read too much in to it at this stage on 2011 Mitt Romney had led Obama in several polls while this is the first poll showing Trump leading Clinton and Biden. If the poll average shows a poll lead for Trump then that really does change things but what polls like this could do is help ensure Trump beats Jeb Bush for the nomination
  • Options
    Is that a lingering legacy of reunification?
    AndyJS said:

Unlike the UK, Germany refused to allow Eastern Europeans to work in their country between 2004 and 2011.

• Options
    Germany would have to take in about 7 million refugees/migrants in order to match the population increase that the UK has experienced over the last 20 years while their population has dropped over that period.
  • Options
    Mr. Rich, welcome to pb.com.

I'd be surprised if a third contender could win in the US or even get close.
  • Options
    All very quiet at Headingley.

Any Migrants from Gloucestershire are not welcome ATM
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

All very quiet at Headingley.

Any Migrants from Gloucestershire are not welcome ATM

There are two of them at the crease of course, and they are both economic migrants :wink:

I feel a bit sorry for Carver. It's asking a lot of a nineteen year old to bowl to Michael Klinger, who is one of the world's best one-day openers, especially when he is well in. I wonder if the Australian selectors might ask him to stick around for a few weeks now Warner is injured?
  • Options
    BREAKING
    The Independent ‏@Independent 31m31 minutes ago
    Austria to close borders again after 12,000 refugees enter from Hungary in 48 hours http://ind.pn/1hNc58L
  • Options
    Mr. K, I'm sure the hokey-cokey approach to waving through hordes of migrants will work well. Ahem.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I posted this on FPT - it's really very funny and outrageous. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/it-was-alright-in-the/on-demand/61558-001 It includes things even I'd forgotten that made 1970s so WTF in today's TVLand.

The viewer warning says "strong language, full frontal nudity [that's the schools' programming], offensive, sexist and racist language."

PBers of a sensitive disposition should avert their eyes. The PC watchers of today have considerable trouble with it. @CD13 was spot on.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

BREAKING
    Austria to close borders again after 12,000 refugees enter from Hungary in 48 hours http://ind.pn/1hNc58L

LOL

So progressive and socially aware. We need to follow this example and open, then close our border.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Curious walking into the centre of Cardiff today to see a rather large pro-palestinian march taking place. Shamed to say I didn't realise the significance till now.
  • Options
    Sky reported this morning that the number crossing the border were yesterday's total by 10am today.

What is the approved collective noun for such a migration?
    MikeK said:

BREAKING

• Options
    MikeK said:

BREAKING

Well done Merkel – Austria’s attempt to implement EU law, holed beneath the waterline.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Sky reported this morning that the number crossing the border were yesterday's total by 10am today.

What is the approved collective noun for such a migration?

MikeK said:

BREAKING

Mass wandering?