Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria: a call to alms?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria: a call to alms?

One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    First. Thanks David for your regular contributions to the site!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015
    Populus poll for The Times finds 51% support Cameron's position on migrants:

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/more-than-40-councils-offer-sanctuary-to-syria-refugees-11364001956870
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Excellent post David. The media's behaviour in the last 48 hours has been nothing short of a disgrace. How dare they - without prior warning - display an image of a dead child on our television screens? Can you imagine the outrage that would have ensued had the media shown graphic images of Lee Rigby or the victim of the attack in Sweden?

This is one area where I do sympathize with politicians. That some people were warning against backing the rebels in Syria shouldn't deter our politicians from admitting that the best thing we can do might involve backing Assad. They should certainly pay no attention to stupid lefties who would argue against a military intervention whatever the circumstances.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    edited September 2015
    A good article David, but part of your argument falls down on a common mistake: that there are only two 'sides' in play ("victory for one side or the other").

Let's think this through.

Say we support Assad, who is also getting serious support from both Iran and Russia. Say he manages to push IS out of Syria. What happens then? Do we support him chasing IS into Iraq, or do we let that organisation just sit there and wait for its next opportunity, either in neighbouring countries or far away (e.g. Yemen).

Then there is a much bigger issue: what about the other rebel groups? al Nusra can go hang as far as I'm concerned, but there are many different groups. If Assad's position becomes stronger, he will want to defeat them. Do we really think we could get him to give the Kurds an autonomous region? And if not, they would have to surrender to him, and there would be severe retribution. How do we protect the Kurds from a vengeful Assad?

Finally, there is the fact we would be supporting someone who many organisations are accusing of war crimes, and who used chemical weapons against his own people. He is not as bad as IS, but that's like saying AIDS is not as bad as Ebola.

I could only support this if Assad and his family were removed as head of state. Let them go to Russia to live, and put in place someone else senior in the regime who we could deal with, and preferably a non-Alawite (although such a person might not exist). This person would also probably have blood on their hands, but less; however he would also have to be acceptable to Iran and Russia.

Then again, such changes have not always worked in the past. However it would be better than another attempt at deba'athification regime change.

There are no good answers: supporting Assad is one of the worse answers, especially if we do not sort out the Kurdish question.
  • Options
    My last post was so excellent the browser chose to centre it. Don't know why: there're no simple html tags in it ...
  • Options
    And evidently, the post saying my first post was so excellent was also excellent.

Is someone mucking about with Vanilla in the background?
  • Options

And evidently, the post saying my first post was so excellent was also excellent.

Or are you going slowly insane? :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

That bus left long ago. ;)

But seriously, those three posts were all centred, without tags. Odd.
  • Options
    One for PB to try out: http://applymagicsauce.com/test.html

Apparently I'm smarter than 94% of the population (not Dr. Rob for nothing!), although my life satisfaction is 24% (surprised it was that high!).

Unfortunately, it didn't identify my political leanings as PB Tory or, more specifically, Official Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party (Monarchist).
  • Options

RobD said:

Are you viewing on the main site, or politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Are you viewing on the main site, or politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com?
    Main site, although all posts went back to left-justified after your post.

I think someone must've been tickling Vanilla.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Wise words Mr Herdson – Regrettably I see no immediate end to civil strife which has beset Syria for the past 5 years, or the humanitarian repercussion of which Europe is experiencing as a result.

Meanwhile, the refugee crisis must be addressed, and as you rightly point out, now is the time for ‘politicians earn their money’ – Fortunately the PM understands the challenges ahead and has made some very sensible proposals this week IMO; my advice would be to ignore the hullabaloo from the crowd and remember the words of Rudyard Kipling:

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Interesting twist from Chilcot

Bullying Chilcot's threat to Iraq war families as inquiry boss tells them 'take me to court over delay and you'll pay the legal costs'

Sir John Chilcot accused of resorting to 'bully-boy tactics' by families
    They want judge to order Iraq inquiry chairman to fix deadline for report
    Claim Sir John is trying to frighten them into dropping legal action

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3223056/Bullying-Chilcot-s-threat-Iraq-war-families-telling-court-delay-ll-pay-legal-costs.html#ixzz3kqG2FDVp
  • Options
    Robustly argued Mr Herdson.

I think Cameron has played a dreadful hand about as well as it could be. How long before the tabloids feature another migrant on their front page in tragic circumstances but not sympathetically?

As ever the danger with "Something must be done!" Is we end up with "This is something- we must do it".

The Syrian people have overwhelmingly chosen to stay close to home, so that's where we should offer most help - as we currently are. And those we are helping in the UK are the vulnerable- not the young and fit who can bribe their way here.

On the fall out from Harvey Proctor's robust defence, I wonder if Labour could be heading for nightmares in both the leader and deputy leader, Mr Watson having lead the charge in Parliament on behalf of Exaro news and some of the alleged victims?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Moses_ said:

Bullying Chilcot's threat to Iraq war families as inquiry boss tells them 'take me to court over delay and you'll pay the legal costs'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3223056/Bullying-Chilcot-s-threat-Iraq-war-families-telling-court-delay-ll-pay-legal-costs.html#ixzz3kqG2FDVp

Trust in Chilcot and his report must diminish as the delays allow for more alterations, tweaking, distortion bias and pressure to be applied.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Strong and thoughtful article from DH.

On a frivolous note maybe we should put a few notices and billboards up in and around Calais saying UK is accepting migrants now. Please report to the application centre in the camps situated in countries bordering Syria. Any migrant entering UK from mainland Europe will be deported to the last safe country they were in and refused any future entry tui UK.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    The politics of the migration crisis changed before that photo was taken and arguably before Merkel changed her policy simply because of the scale of the movements.

The EU and the UK government has been very sloooooow to react, which has contributed to the sense of 'crisis' and catching up.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Jonathan, many countries in Europe deciding that enforcing border controls doesn't matter has been bizarre to see.

Mr. H, indeed. Faith in Chilcott must be near rock bottom, and his apparent threats to the families of dead/wounded service personnel will not exactly burnish his credentials.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2015
    philiph said:

Moses_ said:

Trust in Chilcot and his report must diminish as the delays allow for more alterations, tweaking, distortion bias and pressure to be applied.
    The report will be the report.
    The lack of trust will be the inevitable media reporting as it sees it and spin from those involved before and after publishing.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Actually Chilcott it telling the families an uncomfortable truth. Families are trying to put pressure on Chilcott not the other way round
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Jonathan said:

The politics of the migration crisis changed before that photo was taken and arguably before Merkel changed her policy simply because of the scale of the movements.

The EU and the UK government has been very sloooooow to react, which has contributed to the sense of 'crisis' and catching up.

I think rather that the media have over-reacted far too quickly. The public support for DC's position I think reflects this. The BBC in particular has been pretty disgraceful in leading the hand-wringing. They've shown a lack of objectivity and encouraged a wave of virtue signalling which has demeaned them.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Jonathan, many countries in Europe deciding that enforcing border controls doesn't matter has been bizarre to see.

Mr. H, indeed. Faith in Chilcott must be near rock bottom, and his apparent threats to the families of dead/wounded service personnel will not exactly burnish his credentials.

Europe's response has been bizarrely uncoordinated and piecemeal. Arguably their failure to provide aid in the ME has helped to create the problem while their cack-handed response has given the green light to the people smugglers.
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, indeed.

The near total absence of coverage regarding differential spending on aid is another sign, by its absence, of the feeble reporting.
  • Options
    Hmm. Can't edit the below post [couldn't to one last night either].

Anyway, Mr. Felix (2), it's almost as if multiple different countries don't work with a one size fits all nonsense approach to anything, whether it's monetary policy or the way refugees/immigrants are handled.

Or, to rephrase, the EU's basic set-up is ridiculous.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

I think rather that the media have over-reacted far too quickly. The public support for DC's position I think reflects this. The BBC in particular has been pretty disgraceful in leading the hand-wringing. They've shown a lack of objectivity and encouraged a wave of virtue signalling which has demeaned them.
    DC response was seemingly dragged out of him. Let's hope it works and is not too little too late.

The petition demanding a parliamentary debate gathered over 400k signatures in a few days. That's quite remarkable and I don't think you can put that down to "virtue signalling".
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, are you going to praise the UK for spending more than most of Europe combined on aid camps?

Merkel's policy is deranged. It'll encourage dangerous journeys, a free for all (including economic migrants who are breaking the law), and enrich people smugglers (which include ISIS).
  • Options
    So the media are a 'disgrace' when they promote a narrative which doesn't suit the views of Conservatives!

There's been much criticism over this so-called 'do something' brigade. But such a distinction doesn't appear to actually exist, anyway. For the most part those on the Left and Right in Westminster appear to agree that something must be done, but disagree on what actually should be done. After all, if you're endorsing Cameron's policy of accepting refugees into Britain, then you are in effect endorsing a 'doing something' position. It's quite weird though, how many appear to have U-turned on the previous position that we shouldn't be accepting any refugees, and that we have no obligation to.

I also don't see the need to 'do something' as an inherently emotional response. It is also logical to try do find a solution to the crisis.

I also don't see why we can't both help those refugees who are in Jordan and Lebanon, as well those in Europe. Both groups, in various ways have been through utter hell. But it's an interesting point: that most Syrians have stayed in the Middle East, which rather counters some of the previous critical assessments of their motives, as simply wanting/feeling entitled to a Western lifestyle, as opposed to being in a desperate situation. It also counters the idea prevalent on PB, that no Middle Eastern country is doing anything. While some need to face up to their moral obligations to take in refugees, some already have. I suspect they'll end up taking in far more than Europe, when all is said and done.

There has been much criticism of those on Facebook, and those on Twitter, but it is these kind of people who, when we look back will be the trigger for politicians finding solutions. Certainly, I suspect it was Cameron's sense (rightly or wrongly) that there was a public desire to help the refugees, that led to a change in policy. A contrast to many who were saying that aid in itself was enough, and that we had no obligation, nor should we do anything else to help.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

DC response was seemingly dragged out of him. Let's hope it works and is not too little too late.

The petition demanding a parliamentary debate gathered over 400k signatures in a few days. That's quite remarkable and I don't think you can put that down to "virtue signalling".
    DC's response was measured and way more sensible than anything from Europe's politicians or the nonsense from the 4 horsepeople of the shambolopolis. The polling indicates 51% support for DC's position which trumps an online petition any day. you'll be doing a BBC and quoting the twittetwatterri next.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited September 2015
    Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

Exactly. David Cameron's position is now one which involves taking in refugees into this country - so in other words, the public support taking in refugees. A policy, that many some days ago were rejecting. Not just simply Merkel's approach, but actively the idea we should be taking in any refugees.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, Lee Rigby's body wasn't shown. There was an outcry when there was posting on social media of the killing/bodies of the two US TV presenters live on air.

It's a clear double standard.

I don't think many here have said Middle Eastern states are doing nothing. There have been many mentions of the large numbers in Lebanon, Turkey and Jordan. It's also entirely correct to say other regional powers are doing very little to help.

I do think some will oppose us taking any migrants. If we are to take them, however, Cameron's approach is intelligent. Merkel's is moronic.
  • Options
    The UK has absolutely no obligation to take in any more refugees.. we are because we choose to.
  • Options

So the media are a 'disgrace' when they promote a narrative which doesn't suit the views of Conservatives!

There's been much criticism over this so-called 'do something' brigade. But such a distinction doesn't appear to actually exist, anyway. For the most part those on the Left and Right in Westminster appear to agree that something must be done, but disagree on what actually should be done. After all, if you're endorsing Cameron's policy of accepting refugees into Britain, then you are in effect endorsing a 'doing something' position. It's quite weird though, how many appear to have U-turned on the previous position that we shouldn't be accepting any refugees, and that we have no obligation to.

I also don't see the need to 'do something' as an inherently emotional response. It is also logical to try do find a solution to the crisis.

I also don't see why we can't both help those refugees who are in Jordan and Lebanon, as well those in Europe. Both groups, in various ways have been through utter hell. But it's an interesting point: that most Syrians have stayed in the Middle East, which rather counters some of the previous critical assessments of their motives, as simply wanting/feeling entitled to a Western lifestyle, as opposed to being in a desperate situation. It also counters the idea prevalent on PB, that no Middle Eastern country is doing anything. While some need to face up to their moral obligations to take in refugees, some already have. I suspect they'll end up taking in far more than Europe, when all is said and done.

There has been much criticism of those on Facebook, and those on Twitter, but it is these kind of people who, when we look back will be the trigger for politicians finding solutions. Certainly, I suspect it was Cameron's sense (rightly or wrongly) that there was a public desire to help the refugees, that led to a change in policy. A contrast to many who were saying that aid in itself was enough, and that we had no obligation, nor should we do anything else to help.

The media are a disgrace when they use pictures of a dead body as a political tool with which to generate a public outcry. The death was tragic, especially as it seems to have occurred, albeit indirectly, as a result of the father's desire to get dental treatment in Europe - therefore opting to take his family from the safety of a flat in Istanbul to a people smuggler's boat. Sometimes the truth is not a Hollywood movie - nor should the news outlets act like they are pushing a blockbuster. Of course Cameron has responded to the outcry - you'd be pillorying him if he didn't. But his response has been measured and sensible and has public support.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer, the media engages in many double-standards, across a range of subjects. Yet Conservatives do not bring up those double-standards unless it suits them.

Many have called on Middle Eastern states to take in refugees, and asked why aren't Middle Eastern states doing their fair share. While ignoring that some of them are indeed doing their fair share.

And I think I've over-egged the debate on the Cameron v Merkel approach, so I'll say no more than that.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

Exactly. David Cameron's position is now one which involves taking in refugees into this country - so in other words, the public support taking in refugees. A policy, that many some days ago were rejecting. Not just simply Merkel's approach, but actively the idea we should be taking in any refugees.
    That's quite a leap in logic.

Just because Cameron is taking in refugees doesn't mean the public support it.
  • Options
    felix said:

The media are a disgrace when they use pictures of a dead body as a political tool with which to generate a public outcry. The death was tragic, especially as it seems to have occurred, albeit indirectly, as a result of the father's desire to get dental treatment in Europe - therefore opting to take his family from the safety of a flat in Istanbul to a people smuggler's boat. Sometimes the truth is not a Hollywood movie - nor should the news outlets act like they are pushing a blockbuster. Of course Cameron has responded to the outcry - you'd be pillorying him if he didn't. But his response has been measured and sensible and has public support.
    The media have simplified the news to portray a certain type of narrative before; notably that every Tom, Dick and Harry on benefits is a scrounger. Yet oddly enough, as I said before the new's tactic to simplify things, into a black/white situation without shades of grey is only criticised when it does not suit a Conservative agenda.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    AndyJS said:

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/more-than-40-councils-offer-sanctuary-to-syria-refugees-11364001956870

Praise be!

It's truly a sign from a greater power that these cash strapped organisations can pause from closing libraries and other public services, and find the extra money to do this.

'Bless them all' cry the thousands on housing waiting lists, for it is truly a miracle.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, it's a while ago, [and I'm not a Conservative but do belong to the 99% rate of 'Tories' on PB] but I did criticise the media for their unfair treatment (either mindless adulation or unrelenting negativity) towards Gordon Brown [of whom I was not an admirer].
  • Options

@Morris_Dancer, the media engages in many double-standards, across a range of subjects. Yet Conservatives do not bring up those double-standards unless it suits them.

Many have called on Middle Eastern states to take in refugees, and asked why aren't Middle Eastern states doing their fair share. While ignoring that some of them are indeed doing their fair share.

And I think I've over-egged the debate on the Cameron v Merkel approach, so I'll say no more than that.

Yet Conservatives do not bring up those double-standards unless it suits them.

I think you'll find the Nelson touch isn't just restricted to one political party.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Migrant crisis: Councils offering sanctuary, Cooper says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34161075

A fair few people on council waiting lists that stretch from here to Narnia will be wondering why these places weren't available to them just a week ago.
  • Options

Actually Chilcott it telling the families an uncomfortable truth. Families are trying to put pressure on Chilcott not the other way round

Quite rightly. He is being paid by the public purse and we expect him to deliver. He should come clean with how long the last person has taken to comment on the report and how much longer he expects to give them.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

Apparently, a poll has found that 51% support Cameron's position on this crisis. Cameron's position is now that of taking in some refugees. Ergo, my conclusion that the public support taking in refugees.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    edited September 2015
    The government needs to be loud and proud about the work it has been doing in the camps around Syria. Some ministerial visits may be in order. I suspect that the government is so used to taking grief about its overseas aid budget they have been hesitant to do that and it has proved a mistake as Britain's Diana tendencies have resurfaced.

Whilst I can understand the logic and reasoning behind taking some refugees from the camps in the ME I am not so sure that part of the story will sell or can be sustained. Given sanctuary to those who have made the journey is perhaps a flawed policy but it is a reality. This means thousands of immigrants a day are pouring into the EU. Are we really going to be able to hold a line which says this is Italy's, Greece's and the Balkan countries' problem, not ours, because geography puts us in the north? Even if we could can we legitimately argue that it is fair to do so?

I think Merkel's policy and announcement was a mistake but it is done. We now see Austria saying it will accept the marchers from Hungary, a country that has become the lefty's new hate figure but is in fact simply overwhelmed by the challenges that it is facing.

Europe now has in the low hundreds of thousands of people here who cannot practically get sent back to Syria or Eritrea. We can fantasise about bribing countries like Egypt and Libya to imprison them for us but no one can seriously believe that is going to end well. The question our government has to face is do we try to dump the problem back on the front line states (are we seriously going to try to send immigrants back to Italy or Greece, let alone the Balkans when they are dealing with a problem a hundred times ours already) or do we offer to help them with the very practical problems that they have? Are we seriously going to try to maintain the line that the first safe country these people reached was Turkey and seek to send them back to a country already feeding and housing 1.7m? The law must bow to reality.

I think that we should accept that whether we should have got where we are or not there is a real practical problem involving the low hundreds of thousands of people in Europe and we need to help. We should point out that if other EU countries had spent as much as we have on making the camps in neighbouring countries tolerable this problem would not be as great and we should urge the EU to follow the British lead here. But we have to help deal with those who are here that we cannot return. I expect our policy to evolve this week. There is no choice.
  • Options

Ms. Apocalypse, it's a while ago, [and I'm not a Conservative but do belong to the 99% rate of 'Tories' on PB] but I did criticise the media for their unfair treatment (either mindless adulation or unrelenting negativity) towards Gordon Brown [of whom I was not an admirer].

Your not a Conservative? I'm quite shocked at that!

I didn't like some of the media attacks on Brown too, some were a bit too personal. Besides, there was more than enough material on his leadership of the country to criticise!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

Apparently, a poll has found that 51% support Cameron's position on this crisis. Cameron's position is now that of taking in some refugees. Ergo, my conclusion that the public support taking in refugees.
    No - the public support Cameron's approach to the refugee crisis. He has explicitly said that to follow the European line encourages illegal people-smuggling. Labour's leadership contenders have managed to make themselves look even more stupid this week than before. Quite an achievement.
  • Options

Quite rightly. He is being paid by the public purse and we expect him to deliver. He should come clean with how long the last person has taken to comment on the report and how much longer he expects to give them.
    Taking in *some* refugees in a planned and controlled manner. Not any old migrant who turns up in Budapest or Calais.
  • Options
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

No - the public support Cameron's approach to the refugee crisis. He has explicitly said that to follow the European line encourages illegal people-smuggling. Labour's leadership contenders have managed to make themselves look even more stupid this week than before. Quite an achievement.
    And Cameron's approach ulimately comes down to accepting some refugees, too. It may not be accepting refugees from Europe, but from the borders of Syria - but fundamentally, the approach is one that is accepting refugees coming to the UK now. Labour leadership contenders have been calling on Britain to welcome refugees to the country, so rather than looking foolish - it looks like everyone now appears to agree on that one, important thing. Labour wants refugees to come here, and now so does David Cameron.
  • Options
    Mr. L, not sure it's Britain's but the media's Diana tendency which has resurfaced.

As for the mass illegal migration, we opted out of free movement. We never wanted to be in Schengen. That is the responsibility and the decision most of the rest of the EU has made, and it is not our job to clear up that mess any more than the failure of the eurozone is our fault or responsibility.

On fairness: Germany has a projected decline of population of around 2-3% during a period (I think to 2080) for which out population is forecast to rise by 9%, and we already have annual net migration of 330,000. On top of that, we're spending far more than Germany on aid camps.

The idea we aren't doing our share is a lie. We're paying more than most of the EU, Cameron's policy is sensible, and Merkel's encourages criminal activity. The failure here is the stupidity of Schengen.

Merkel's policy is more than a mistake. It's a clarion call for anyone from North Africa, the Middle East, the Balkans or further afield who wants to live in the EU to come on over. I fear it'll prove a horrendous error of judgement.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

"Apparently"

start there.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good article, Mr Herdson, in which I largely agree with.

And Good morning to all.
  • Options
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

The BBC website is currently leading with '10 moving photos of Europe's migrant crisis'.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

"Apparently"

start there.
    It's posted earlier down this thread. I used apparently, because we haven't seen the tables yet, but I presume BT wouldn't actively lie about a poll.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, ha, people often are.

It's because I'm usually on the right, which leads to people thinking I'm Conservative (and I did vote for them last time, heroically slaying Balls). But I've voted for four other parties in the past, and imagine I'll vote for others in the near future too.

If Cameron wanted us to accept 120,000 or 240,000 (Cooper's monthly total over a year, or the Green position) I'd oppose it.

It's also fundamentally different to take people from camps adjacent to the conflict and just waving through illegal migration.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

The UK has absolutely no obligation to take in any more refugees.. we are because we choose to.

We ?
    I did not know you had a promotion to PM.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @apocalypse

And Cameron's approach ulimately comes down to accepting some refugees, too. It may not be accepting refugees from Europe, but from the borders of Syria - but fundamentally, the approach is one that is accepting refugees coming to the UK now. Labour leadership contenders have been calling on Britain to welcome refugees to the country, so rather than looking foolish - it looks like everyone now appears to agree on that one, important thing. Labour wants refugees to come here, and now so does David Cameron.

You really are being quite silly peddling that line. The difference in tone and substance is enormous - and Labour is back on the old line of 'let everyone in' days before electing a peacenik throwback from the 50s/60s as leader. If you are unable to spot the problem with this then so be it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The government needs to be loud and proud about the work it has been doing in the camps around Syria. Some ministerial visits may be in order. I suspect that the government is so used to taking grief about its overseas aid budget they have been hesitant to do that and it has proved a mistake as Britain's Diana tendencies have resurfaced.

Whilst I can understand the logic and reasoning behind taking some refugees from the camps in the ME I am not so sure that part of the story will sell or can be sustained. Given sanctuary to those who have made the journey is perhaps a flawed policy but it is a reality. This means thousands of immigrants a day are pouring into the EU. Are we really going to be able to hold a line which says this is Italy's, Greece's and the Balkan countries' problem, not ours, because geography puts us in the north? Even if we could can we legitimately argue that it is fair to do so?

I think Merkel's policy and announcement was a mistake but it is done. We now see Austria saying it will accept the marchers from Hungary, a country that has become the lefty's new hate figure but is in fact simply overwhelmed by the challenges that it is facing.

Europe now has in the low hundreds of thousands of people here who cannot practically get sent back to Syria or Eritrea. We can fantasise about bribing countries like Egypt and Libya to imprison them for us but no one can seriously believe that is going to end well. The question our government has to face is do we try to dump the problem back on the front line states (are we seriously going to try to send immigrants back to Italy or Greece, let alone the Balkans when they are dealing with a problem a hundred times ours already) or do we offer to help them with the very practical problems that they have? Are we seriously going to try to maintain the line that the first safe country these people reached was Turkey and seek to send them back to a country already feeding and housing 1.7m? The law must bow to reality.

I think that we should accept that whether we should have got where we are or not there is a real practical problem involving the low hundreds of thousands of people in Europe and we need to help. We should point out that if other EU countries had spent as much as we have on making the camps in neighbouring countries tolerable this problem would not be as great and we should urge the EU to follow the British lead here. But we have to help deal with those who are here that we cannot return. I expect our policy to evolve this week. There is no choice.

I don't see why the UK should be forced to pick up the pieces of the EU's (and particularly German) stupidity.

The best thing to do would be to formalise the refugee camps adjacent to Syria, improve their sanitation and facilities, build a jetty and a dock, and land all those rescued in future by Operation Triton back there.
  • Options

Mr. L, not sure it's Britain's but the media's Diana tendency which has resurfaced.

As for the mass illegal migration, we opted out of free movement. We never wanted to be in Schengen. That is the responsibility and the decision most of the rest of the EU has made, and it is not our job to clear up that mess any more than the failure of the eurozone is our fault or responsibility.

On fairness: Germany has a projected decline of population of around 2-3% during a period (I think to 2080) for which out population is forecast to rise by 9%, and we already have annual net migration of 330,000. On top of that, we're spending far more than Germany on aid camps.

The idea we aren't doing our share is a lie. We're paying more than most of the EU, Cameron's policy is sensible, and Merkel's encourages criminal activity. The failure here is the stupidity of Schengen.

Merkel's policy is more than a mistake. It's a clarion call for anyone from North Africa, the Middle East, the Balkans or further afield who wants to live in the EU to come on over. I fear it'll prove a horrendous error of judgement.

Yes, Merkel's policy announcement is a mistake. Yes it means that more will die in boats and suffocate in lorries. Yes, I agree that when working out what our "fair" share is it would be right to point to the fact we took 330,000 last year (net) since these are not technically refugees anymore once they reach a safe country. But no, we can't simply opt out of our continent's problems whether we are in Schengen or not. Schengen is going to collapse under this, in many ways on the ground it already has, but that does not make the problem go away.

The practical problem is what does Europe do with the tens of thousands in camps in Greece, Italy, Hungary etc? We will end up helping and would do better to do so with some grace.
  • Options
    On topic, excellent article David. I agree with every word - I think the real politik is that we have no choice but to back Assad.
  • Options

It's because I'm usually on the right, which leads to people thinking I'm Conservative (and I did vote for them last time, heroically slaying Balls). But I've voted for four other parties in the past, and imagine I'll vote for others in the near future too.

If Cameron wanted us to accept 120,000 or 240,000 (Cooper's monthly total over a year, or the Green position) I'd oppose it.

It's also fundamentally different to take people from camps adjacent to the conflict and just waving through illegal migration.

I can't believe you voted Labour at one point!

Certainly, there are disagreements over how many refugees to take in. Cooper, and the other Labour leadership candidates would want us to take in quite a lot more than Cameron is probably willingly too. But on the basic principle of whether we take in refugees or not, they are now on the same page. I don't deny it's different taking people from camps, to refugees from Europe - but is still nonetheless a position of taking in refugees.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, taking migrants saved from drowning to the camps is a rather neat solution. Mildly surprised nobody thought of it before now.
  • Options
    Excellent piece David

@screwlabour: Twitter seems to be polarised:one usual crowd thinks every single migrant wants to behead them & the other crowd wants to live with them all
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, probably because I've not voted Labour (as yet. I would probably have voted for Gwyneth Dunwoody if she'd been standing in my patch).

There's a hefty difference between 4,000 and 120,000-240,000. Not to mention it appears Cooper et al. want us to take them the Schengen/Merkellian quagmire.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    DavidL said:

Yes, Merkel's policy announcement is a mistake. Yes it means that more will die in boats and suffocate in lorries. Yes, I agree that when working out what our "fair" share is it would be right to point to the fact we took 330,000 last year (net) since these are not technically refugees anymore once they reach a safe country. But no, we can't simply opt out of our continent's problems whether we are in Schengen or not. Schengen is going to collapse under this, in many ways on the ground it already has, but that does not make the problem go away.

The practical problem is what does Europe do with the tens of thousands in camps in Greece, Italy, Hungary etc? We will end up helping and would do better to do so with some grace.
    Schengen, EU , Euro it is not looking good for the superstate.
  • Options

People compete with the numbers of refugees they'd be willing to take in as a thermometer of how unequivocally anti-racist they are. Actually, it's all about them.

Of course, that ends with most on the Left declaring "no limit", which leaves them nowhere to go in any sensible discussion on the matter.
  • Options
    felix said:

@apocalypse You really are being quite silly peddling that line. The difference in tone and substance is enormous - and Labour is back on the old line of 'let everyone in' days before electing a peacenik throwback from the 50s/60s as leader. If you are unable to spot the problem with this then so be it.

I don't think Yvette Cooper, for example has ever said we should let 'everyone' in - she has suggested a quota of 10,000 IIRC (she said it could happen in one month, I don't know if she literally means we should take that number per month). That's most likely more than Cameron is willingly to consider, but it's still not letting in everyone.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The government needs to be loud and proud about the work it has been doing .

I don't see why the UK should be forced to pick up the pieces of the EU's (and particularly German) stupidity.

The best thing to do would be to formalise the refugee camps adjacent to Syria, improve their sanitation and facilities, build a jetty and a dock, and land all those rescued in future by Operation Triton back there.
    Perhaps that is part of the future solution although the countries collapsing under the weight of their refugee problem may have a different view. Jordan already has a quarter of its population in refugees. What are they going to say when we want to forcibly off load people back onto them? But even if that were possible it does not solve the problem of the people already in the EU.
  • Options

Ms. Apocalypse, probably because I've not voted Labour (as yet. I would probably have voted for Gwyneth Dunwoody if she'd been standing in my patch).

There's a hefty difference between 4,000 and 120,000-240,000. Not to mention it appears Cooper et al. want us to take them the Schengen/Merkellian quagmire.

A difference in numbers, but the principle is the same.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    I think the point about helping the millions in the areas around Syria rather than focus on the mere hundreds of thousands making the journey to Europe alone is a very good one, for all I don't mind if we do take some (the damage is done with Germany's call already). Those people and the locals trying to help need plenty of assistance, not just those attempting to get to Europe.

But as I've said before the German and our actions are focused on different problems of this crisis. I've banged on about it and enough so will resolve to keep quiet.
  • Options

felix said:

@apocalypse You really are being quite silly peddling that line. The difference in tone and substance is enormous - and Labour is back on the old line of 'let everyone in' days before electing a peacenik throwback from the 50s/60s as leader. If you are unable to spot the problem with this then so be it.

I don't think Yvette Cooper, for example has ever said we should let 'everyone' in - she has suggested a quota of 10,000 IIRC (she said it could happen in one month, I don't know if she literally means we should take that number per month). That's most likely more than Cameron is willingly to consider, but it's still not letting in everyone.
    Ms. Apocalypse:

Let's break this down. Firstly, what problem(s) are we trying to solve?
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, a difference in numbers is also the difference between treating your headache and taking an overdose.
  • Options

I think you'll find the numbers are actually the principle.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    A logical summation, Mr Herdson. Well done.

Unfortunately, this is a problem where emotion rules. Will accepting more immigrants solve the problem? No, because anything that encourages more travelling in the present circumstances will make things worse.

There are things we can do - clamp down on traffickers and finance better camps - but these are gradual. Emotion wants what emotion wants even if it is counter-productive.

What people really want is to feel better about themselves - whether it's productive or counter-productive.

The best analogy is giving a sick patient medicine that has awful side effects. But you can't stop it because nothing else is going to work quickly anyway - and it's the right thing to do.

To be honest, the only remedy for the virtue-signalling is to transport anyone who wants to come in a safe means of transport. Don't think about the cost or consequences, you heartless bastards.

I'd be in favour of selective immigration. Welcome the ones who come for the right reason, be that brown, black or green.
  • Options
    Refugees were already in Europe prior to Germany's announcement. And, most likely they were also going to continue to come to Europe regardless of Germany's announcement. We are not picking up the EU's or Germany's mess, because the mess was already there. And indeed, even Germany had toed a line PBers approved of, we still would have a huge crisis on our hands - one which wouldn't have been able to shy away from, either.
  • Options

Refugees were already in Europe prior to Germany's announcement. And, most likely they were also going to continue to come to Europe regardless of Germany's announcement. We are not picking up the EU's or Germany's mess, because the mess was already there. And indeed, even Germany had toed a line PBers approved of, we still would have a huge crisis on our hands - one which wouldn't have been able to shy away from, either.

You haven't quite grasped this concept of scale.
  • Options

On topic, excellent article David. I agree with every word - I think the real politik is that we have no choice but to back Assad.

If we back Assad, not only are we condoning his past war crimes (and especially his use of chemical weapons on civilian populations), but also complicit in any future crimes.

For instance, what about the Kurdish problem I mentioned below?
  • Options

I don't agree. The principle is whether you are willingly to accept some refugees in your country or not.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

The problem with that is that every time the EU cocks up (and this is a doozie, even by their standards) the argument is made that this is because we are not united enough! We already see huge pressure for an EU immigration policy and aid system on the back of this mess.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    That's very funny - using my Facebook activity which is very uncontroversial and largely comprises of cat videos and silly science/history stories... I'm still a bit Conservative, pretty competitive, very contemplative and like gay men marginally more than lesbians. I'm also 41% more satisfied that the norm.

I'd hate to see what it'd do with my Twitter account!
    RobD said:

One for PB to try out: http://applymagicsauce.com/test.html

Apparently I'm smarter than 94% of the population (not Dr. Rob for nothing!), although my life satisfaction is 24% (surprised it was that high!).

Unfortunately, it didn't identify my political leanings as PB Tory or, more specifically, Official Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party (Monarchist).

• Options

If we back Assad, not only are we condoning his past war crimes (and especially his use of chemical weapons on civilian populations), but also complicit in any future crimes.

We need to push for a post Assad solution to Syria. But that does not mean we can't indirectly help him at the moment by killing as many of these ISIL lunatics as we can.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, indeed, large numbers were present prior to Merkel's mad proclamation. But then, if your house is on fire, pouring petrol is still a stupid course of action.

We know migrants headed for the EU due to Schengen, the lack of borders. We never wanted that, and we opted out of it. And now Merkel's announced a free for all. We never wanted that either.

If she wants to be Saint Angela, fine. But she has no right to dictate policy to the UK.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

One interpretation. Alternatively, he knew Public sympathy would be behind accepting more refugees but took the time to decide to show it was not a panic move and to ensure the public and Germany got the underlying message that such action will help those individual migrants, but that we really need to remember they are a small part of the whole problem, not the whole problem itself.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I don't agree. The principle is whether you are willingly to accept some refugees in your country or not.
    Not really.

Based on your principle the UK has already taken in Syrian refugees to the tune of a couple of hundred, so nothing has actually changed by your yardstick if you don't think numbers are important.

On the other hand I'd argue it's the scale of the problem which is hitting the headlines and which is provoking the crisis. And the principle at stake is "how many" not some or none.
  • Options

felix said:

Ms. Apocalypse:

Firstly, the problem of the refugees in Europe, and where to settle them. Secondly, the potential problem of further refugees coming to Europe. Thirdly, the problem of refugees in camps in Lebanon, Jordan etc, and helping them get out of those camps at some point so they can lead a normal life. Fourthly, the internal Civil War in Syria which has led to this crisis - in the long-term we need to decide how to make Syria as habitable, and safe as possible if we want to quell further migration.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Perhaps that is part of the future solution although the countries collapsing under the weight of their refugee problem may have a different view. Jordan already has a quarter of its population in refugees. What are they going to say when we want to forcibly off load people back onto them? But even if that were possible it does not solve the problem of the people already in the EU.
    I think Jordan and Turkey would be pleased with Western help with its refugees, particularly to place its refuges "in order" - and I'm sure an arrangement could be reached.

I don't understand this psychology about not wanting to engage with middle-eastern countries for fear of upsetting them, but bending over backwards in the EU ourselves to all and sundry.

Germany and Sweden have declared their policy and made their bed. They must now lie in it. If I were them I would review each and every case and deport those who are not genuine Syrian refugees (which is at least half of them) back to MENA.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We need to push for a post Assad solution to Syria. But that does not mean we can't indirectly help him at the moment by killing as many of these ISIL lunatics as we can.
    And then he kills the Kurds (as he is already doing).

It's wrong to think that he will use any new force just against IS. He'll be wanting to regain total power, or as much as the puppeteers in Tehran and Moscow allow.

So how do we protect the Kurds?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Thank you for another excellent piece, Mr Herdson. In light of current events, I am inclined to agree that it is time to swallow our distaste for the loathsome Ba'athists and back Assad's government if not the man himself. As Ronald Reagan didn't quite say, 'He may be a son a of a bitch but at least he's a passably sane son of a bitch.'

Slightly off-topic, but in light of recent events, I do hope that Ed Miliband is feeling proud of his actions of two years ago this morning. Two articles from Dan Hodges are worth revisiting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10277706/Syria-was-the-last-straw-Ive-now-quit-the-Labour-Party.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100233350/miliband-was-governed-by-narrow-political-interests-not-the-national-interests-or-those-of-syrian-children/

Hodges was wrong on one thing - without Britain, the notoriously indecisive Obama did not feel able to take any sort of aggressive military action until it was far too late - over a year after it might have helped (and it still doesn't include a no-fly zone).

Miliband's legacy from 11 years of public life - a failed climate change treaty, a ruined Labour party, a Conservative majority, and dead children in Syria. As is often said, the road to hell is paved with the very best intentions.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited September 2015

Not really.

Based on your principle the UK has already taken in Syrian refugees to the tune of a couple of hundred, so nothing has actually changed by your yardstick if you don't think numbers are important.

On the other hand I'd argue it's the scale of the problem which is hitting the headlines and which is provoking the crisis. And the principle at stake is "how many" not some or none.
    I would have agreed nothing would have changed, if it wasn't for Cameron's words that he did not believe taking in refugees would solve anything, and generally took a non-committal tone in regard to taking in further Syrian refugees. Now, that stance has changed and Cameron is now prepared to take in further refugees.

Well, we clearly disagree on what principles are at stake. Because I believe the most important is whether we accept refugees or not. Numbers can be decided by the government.
  • Options

We already had accepted Syrian refugees. The only change is the volume people are asking us to accept.
  • Options

Not really.

I would have agreed nothing would have changed, if it wasn't for Cameron's words that he did not believe taking in refugees would solve anything, and generally took a non-committal tone in regard to taking in further Syrian refugees. Now, that stance has changed and Cameron is now prepared to take in further refugees.

Well, we clearly disagree on what principles are at stake. Because I believe the most important is whether we accept refugees or not. Numbers can be decided by the government.
    As of last week we had already taken in a couple of hundred refugees. This is about numbers not some\none.
  • Options

Indeed. There must be restrictions on that in future if there isn't already, his explanations have been incredibly weak and dismissive given the length of time involved. Pathetic.
    DavidL said:

If they do that they will be criticised for it - callous PM wanders around camp in attempt to get PR looking tough, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

felix said:

Ms. Apocalypse:

Firstly, the problem of the refugees in Europe, and where to settle them. Secondly, the potential problem of further refugees coming to Europe. Thirdly, the problem of refugees in camps in Lebanon, Jordan etc, and helping them get out of those camps at some point so they can lead a normal life. Fourthly, the internal Civil War in Syria which has led to this crisis - in the long-term we need to decide how to make Syria as habitable, and safe as possible if we want to quell further migration.
    OK Ms Apocalypse, You've stated the problem/s; what is/are your solution/s? Solutions that won't make the populations of various European countries rise in revolt.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    edited September 2015
    AndyJS said:

This is the same Populus that spectacularly failed to poll the general election correctly? Not sure why this company is still in business to be honest?

You'd be better off asking Plato's Pussy!
  • Options

People compete with the numbers of refugees they'd be willing to take in as a thermometer of how unequivocally anti-racist they are. Actually, it's all about them.

Of course, that ends with most on the Left declaring "no limit", which leaves them nowhere to go in any sensible discussion on the matter.
    A white skin - and indeed being Anglophone, whatever one's skin colour - are unmerited privileges. There is no healthy emotional reaction to either.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Germany and Sweden have declared their policy and made their bed. They must now lie in it. If I were them I would review each and every case and deport those who are not genuine Syrian refugees (which is at least half of them) back to MENA.
    I wish them luck. None of the thousands of angry, aggressive young non-Syrian men, who've broken through borders to get to Europe will be going anywhere south, certainly not without the use of force.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Changing tack to accept more refugees doesn't contradict earlier statements that doing so won't help solve the crisis. Accepting more is not about solving the crisis it's about making the public feel better. If the public are prepared to accept the cost of taking more, as media coverage from all sides practically has convinced the government they are, then the government has done so, but that doesn't alter the position of it not helping the larger situation.

It's a change in action, but the actual reasoning given remains, there's been no 180 there, the focus will still be where he wanted it - aid, camps etc - they've just added to it in the face of pressure.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke Given that most of the debate prior to Thursday centred on whether or not we should even accept refugees, and whether we had an obligation to get involved the scale of refugees is neither here nor there. The government, one that does not want to accept many refugees will decide how many we accept.

@Morris_Dancer For reasons I've explained in previous threads, I don't see Merkel pouring petrol over the fire. I don't believe that anything she could have said or done, would have stopped those making the journey to Europe. Really, only stabilising Syria can do that for sure. Does your average Syrian migrant really know what Schengen is? This plays into the idea these refugees are these calculating, cunning people. I suppose you agree with the assessment that Schengen caused the crisis, but then I disagree: I would attribute some of the blame to Western involvement in the Middle East, and how that has de-stabilised the region even further than it was before, paving the way for this crisis.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    @JosiasJessop - you make a number of very good points about Assad, and these are all issues that would need addressing especially the question of protecting the Kurds (this is also of course an issue with Turkey).

However, at the moment the immediate crisis demands some unpalatable choices:

1) We need to deal urgently with the refugee situation. Therefore, we either sort matters out in Syria or we accept refugees. The likely consequences of doing the latter (the march of the far right across Europe - watch to see whether Golden Dawn do well in Greece as a possible harbinger) means we have to do the former.

2) To do so, we have the choice of working with Assad, or with Isis. We cannot work with Isis, therefore we must for the moment swallow our loathing and disgust and work with Assad. We could do it indirectly, possibly even via Iran, but that is (a) a cowardly solution and (b) would give Iran, not us, any possible leverage over Assad should Isis be defeated.

Those are of course both medium term solutions (at best) and solving the migrant crisis now is urgent. It sounds horribly cynical, but has anyone suggested payments to Greece for each migrant it takes, in terms of its debt to the ECB or the Bundesbank being written off? Because it occurs to me that that might go a long way to resolving two major crises at once.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

The problem with that is that every time the EU cocks up (and this is a doozie, even by their standards) the argument is made that this is because we are not united enough! We already see huge pressure for an EU immigration policy and aid system on the back of this mess.
    Yes, I do find that hilarious.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Good article Mr @david_herdson, and nice reminder of Kipling's wisdom from @SimonStClare

What I find most depressing about the Something Must Be Done brigade is that their Outrage Bus stops a lot on its route. So the same people/media who are demanding action without thought, will be doing the same when the next NHS In Crisis or whatever pops up.

The public have remarkably short memories when to comes to what they demanded two months ago, and don't have much sympathy for political weathervanes. I'm very pleased that Mr Cameron has stuck to his guns, and the plan to lift refugees who are least able to escape/played by the rules to safety.

Having caught up on developments overnight - I see 4000 have now arrived in Austria. Sky intv a young man who left Syria 5 YEARS ago. He's clearly an economic migrant and said he didn't want to stay in Hungary because they wouldn't give him a free house, money and a job - but Germany/Austria would.

I want to shake Mrs Merkel - she's lit the blue touchpaper and all her neighbours can do is try to 'corridor' migrants to Germany as quickly as possible.

Robustly argued Mr Herdson.

I think Cameron has played a dreadful hand about as well as it could be. How long before the tabloids feature another migrant on their front page in tragic circumstances but not sympathetically?

As ever the danger with "Something must be done!" Is we end up with "This is something- we must do it".

The Syrian people have overwhelmingly chosen to stay close to home, so that's where we should offer most help - as we currently are. And those we are helping in the UK are the vulnerable- not the young and fit who can bribe their way here.

On the fall out from Harvey Proctor's robust defence, I wonder if Labour could be heading for nightmares in both the leader and deputy leader, Mr Watson having lead the charge in Parliament on behalf of Exaro news and some of the alleged victims?