Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Corbyn might not win the Labour leadership

Comments

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

"Surely the Labour party aren’t going to be this stupid and self indulgent and elect someone who is a throwback to the worst mistakes and excesses of the Labour party in the 1980s?"

What mistakes and excesses were these? Labour was out of power in the 1980s. Without the Falklands War they could well have won the 1983 election or at least been in a position to form a coalition with the SDP/Liberals. Having lost in 1983, and with FPTP having scuppered the Alliance, Labour under Neil Kinnock started a major process of reform. This included gradually adopting the centrist positions of the SDP. By end of the decade Labour was a sensible Party and the SDP was no more. It was not a period of mistakes at all but the opposite.

Interesting take. If it's at all typical amongst lefties then it explains a lot. I'm only doing this so his post gets repeated'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    If Prof Seth Lloyd is correct, there will probably never be a perfect British bingo card ever played in any universe. (Barring cheating).

If there is an infinite number, then there will be an infinite number of perfect 15 card bingo ^_~.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

Does anyone know why Alternative for Germany are not doing better in the polls? In the UK, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands and Austria right wing parties (or various stripes) have surged in the polls. In Germany, Merkel has just accepted 800,000 Middle Eastern migrants and people seem to be on board.

Last year as I read it there were 200,000 and this year they 'expect' to take 800,000. So they have not, if we are being strict, just accepted that number.
    Germany is quite a big country BTW (and yes I do know that you are aware of this) 243,000 sq km for UK and 357,000 sq km for Germany. I am not sure if this makes a difference but given that a decent chunk of our land area is either mountainous or in NI and I think most of Germany is relatively habitable (?) then this must make a difference to national perceptions. The French land area is relatively enormous at 640,000sq km.
    On this basis the argument is only just beginning into what would be the right way to 'divvi up' these migrants.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Dancer,

At the last count, there were at least ten variations of multiverse as I remember. 10 to the power of 120 is familiar - I think the chance of all the physics parameters being just right for our sort of human life was one chance in 10 to the 120.

Thus, and I'm guessing here, to have a good chance of being here, there has to be that many universes. As everyone in the world, and every "observed" happening splits the world in that multiverse, it could be infinite, especially as what counts as an observation can be happening almost an infinite number of times every second.

The Copenhagen interpretation was hardly mentioned, but to be fair to the programme, there's only so much they can cram in. But they concentrated on the sparkly bits with no real depth. In a book, you can re-read, or else the "what about ... ?" questions get covered in another chapter.

As was quoted ... "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we can imagine."

Mr Borough,

But if time has no boundary, then the options really are infinite. Checks to see if Mr Llama is about.

• Options

kle4 said:

"Surely the Labour party aren’t going to be this stupid and self indulgent and elect someone who is a throwback to the worst mistakes and excesses of the Labour party in the 1980s?"

What mistakes and excesses were these? Labour was out of power in the 1980s. Without the Falklands War they could well have won the 1983 election or at least been in a position to form a coalition with the SDP/Liberals. Having lost in 1983, and with FPTP having scuppered the Alliance, Labour under Neil Kinnock started a major process of reform. This included gradually adopting the centrist positions of the SDP. By end of the decade Labour was a sensible Party and the SDP was no more. It was not a period of mistakes at all but the opposite.

I do not know enough of the 80s to judge, but given labour didn't win agin until 1997, not making enough progress in the 80s to win sounds like a mistake, or at least a failing.

Mrs Thatcher was arguably the luckiest Prime Minister, not just through the Falklands and SDP but also in North Sea Oil and technological advances. In other circumstances, she'd likely have been deposed by her own Cabinet. It turns out "events, dear boy, events" can be beneficial.
    Not this 'lucky' meme again. It can be used against every single PM: for instance Blair was 'lucky' that John Smith died. If he had not, then Labour might still have won in 1997, but without Blair's changes (e.g. ridding itself of Clause 4) with a reduced majority from Blair's rout. This means that the next Labour leadership election might not have been until 2001/2, and then, seven or eight years on, there would have been other leadership candidates aside from Brown and Blair.

People using the term 'lucky' are just looking for silly excuses why their side lost. After all, it cannot have been their sides fault: the other side were just lucky ....
    Not my side -- I have no vote for Labour leader, and you missed the word "beneficial" but there we are.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Mr. Spring, welcome to pb.com.

That's a good point. Also worth noting lots may vote for just one or two people, which will help Corbyn.

Mr. Fish, quite. Germany saying it'll take anyone will just act as a vacuum. More migration, social tension, drownings, people smuggling.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Roger, if you want to make that comparison then surely you must also be in favour of an Allies-style coalition to destroy ISIS?

With ISIS and their ILK in Nigeria, Somali, Kenya, North Africa as well as the Middle East,that will be difficult without large numbers of civilian casualties. The best chance is when there were in open ground,but entrenched in towns makes it hard.

Also pincer movements would be needed to effect their destruction.

What would Saudi and UAE do as they may have/still be financing them?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    It is apparent that Roger missed out on history lessons as well as maths at his very expensive public school...by the commencement of the Final Solution, Germany was surrounded by German occupied countries that were actually shipping Jews in to Germany.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I agree with TSE - Corbynmania looks like a bubble.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    It wouldn't surprise me if a sizeable proportion of those who were Labour Party members on say 1st May this year don't vote. It doesn't take too much of a leap to imagine a long-suffering Labour Party member thinking there is little point in voting for ANY of the candidates on offer - especially if you are on the centre-left.
  • Options
    On topic, I expect Jeremy Corbyn to make it. Yvette Cooper has come into form too late.

That said, I made sure a couple of weeks ago that I was green on all outcomes other than Liz Kendall winning.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    antifrank said:
    So what's a "fair share"? A percentage the European Commission sets of the number Angela Merkel's just attracted to Germany?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I do not know enough of the 80s to judge, but given labour didn't win agin until 1997, not making enough progress in the 80s to win sounds like a mistake, or at least a failing.

Mrs Thatcher was arguably the luckiest Prime Minister, not just through the Falklands and SDP but also in North Sea Oil and technological advances. In other circumstances, she'd likely have been deposed by her own Cabinet. It turns out "events, dear boy, events" can be beneficial.
    Not this 'lucky' meme again. It can be used against every single PM: for instance Blair was 'lucky' that John Smith died. If he had not, then Labour might still have won in 1997, but without Blair's changes (e.g. ridding itself of Clause 4) with a reduced majority from Blair's rout. This means that the next Labour leadership election might not have been until 2001/2, and then, seven or eight years on, there would have been other leadership candidates aside from Brown and Blair.

People using the term 'lucky' are just looking for silly excuses why their side lost. After all, it cannot have been their sides fault: the other side were just lucky ....
    Any discussion about luck always brings to my mind Arnie Palmer's response when it was suggested he was a bit lucky - "It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I really hope that TSE is right. The Labour party should not be a monomaniacal pressure group obsessed with one element of our complicated lives and blaming it for all ills but an at least vaguely credible and capable alternative government. The election of Jeremy is not consistent with either that role or that duty to the country.

This has become painfully and increasingly clear over the last couple of weeks as stories of the Bin Laden "tragedy" and other idiotic comments have gained greater traction but the failure of the other competitors to actually take this fool on, no doubt believing that being nice would help the chances of second choices from his supporters, has been a complete dereliction of duty and leadership. This is not what Kinnock did to save the party in the 80s, it is not what new Labour, for all its faults, did after 1994 and it is not what Labour needs to do to fulfil their role.

The key question is whether too many voted before these second thoughts surfaced. The evidence on that is somewhat mixed, partly because Labour seem to have been incompetent in getting voting options out to people. But the real risk is that a significant proportion of those who have not voted don't. Labour needs its members and supporters to save it from itself without leadership from the top. It's possible but a big ask. I would certainly urge those who have a vote and have not used it to try and save their party.

What do you think Labour's role should be, David? An alternative government? A perpetual opposition preventing any other Party from creating a credible alternative government to the Tories?
    I think Labour should be an alternative government. I think that like any political party the Tories attract their share of nutters who need to be restrained and sometimes have the errors of their ways demonstrated to them. So if the Tories starve the welfare state of capital resources (as they arguably did after about 1990) or show a cruel indifference to the less able in our society they can be kicked out and an alternative government can correct the errors. I accept that new Labour, particularly in the first Parliament, did this.

I would answer your second question in a different way. If Labour cannot provide that pressure towards the centre, moderation and fairness that are the quintessential British attributes they will need to be replaced by something that can. Under our electoral system that is difficult but not impossible as Scotland has shown. Labour either chooses to remain a player in our politics or they go off on one with Corbyn to deserved irrelevance. I really think it is that simple.
    In other words, you believe that English voters want two Tory parties, so they can kick out the first one when it gets complacent. You may well be right.

• Options
    Re horizon and infinite universes --- someone said (in a long linked thread) 'and there may well be universes where the paths are exactly the same'.
    Surely there will be an infinite number of universes where everything is the same and an infinite number of universes where everything is different to an infinite degree?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,975
    AF

"This may be of interest to some:"

Thanks
  • Options
    JEO said:
    I agree, utterly crackers. Can the police not use some disgression and common sense here ?
  • Options
    Interesting how pb.com works. On the same day we are dealing with the mind-boggling concepts of multi-verses, infinite time and space - and the Labour Party electing Jeremy Corbyn.

It may require a lie down later....
  • Options
    Professor Hawking believes that time began with the Big Bang.

Unfortunately, that requires faith rather than science. As I mentioned earlier, his analogy is that south begins at the South Pole and there is no further south on Earth. It's obviously more mathematical and beyond me, but the nine year old in me always asks "Well, what was before then?"
  • Options
    Meanwhile, some Conservatives aren't quibbling or logic-chopping:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN93HqHWUAA-D-f.png

Cue 20 pbers tweeting Ruth Davidson to ask her what "more" is.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,577

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

What do you think Labour's role should be, David? An alternative government? A perpetual opposition preventing any other Party from creating a credible alternative government to the Tories?
    I think Labour should be an alternative government. I think that like any political party the Tories attract their share of nutters who need to be restrained and sometimes have the errors of their ways demonstrated to them. So if the Tories starve the welfare state of capital resources (as they arguably did after about 1990) or show a cruel indifference to the less able in our society they can be kicked out and an alternative government can correct the errors. I accept that new Labour, particularly in the first Parliament, did this.

I would answer your second question in a different way. If Labour cannot provide that pressure towards the centre, moderation and fairness that are the quintessential British attributes they will need to be replaced by something that can. Under our electoral system that is difficult but not impossible as Scotland has shown. Labour either chooses to remain a player in our politics or they go off on one with Corbyn to deserved irrelevance. I really think it is that simple.
    In other words, you believe that English voters want two Tory parties, so they can kick out the first one when it gets complacent. You may well be right.

Yes, I suppose so, but 2 Tory parties that can evolve and take a more enlightened view over time. The current Tory party of government introduced Gay marriage, for example. I don't think they would ever have got there without the influence of Labour. Both parties evolve in tandem.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    To marry together the multiverse chat with the leadership contest:

How many universes are needed to give an Evens shot of Liz Kendall winning the leadership election.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Not my side -- I have no vote for Labour leader, and you missed the word "beneficial" but there we are.
    I forgot you were a well-known Conservative supporter ...
  • Options
    We could start with population densities....
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, as you say, it's unproven, perhaps unprovable.

Also, Earth's just one planet. Yes, you can't go further south than the South Pole, but there are whole other worlds to explore.

I share your wondering about what happened beforehand. Was the singularity always there?

Mr. Mark, as mentioned previously, I briefly looked into time dilation due to faster than light travel. Surprisingly, that also occurs with very fast but sub-light speeds (so, you could spend a few decades away from Earth but centuries would pass by on the planet).
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Unfortunately, that requires faith rather than science. As I mentioned earlier, his analogy is that south begins at the South Pole and there is no further south on Earth. It's obviously more mathematical and beyond me, but the nine year old in me always asks "Well, what was before then?"

I believe there was another Horizon programme recently on just that question.
  • Options

The most disturbing multiverse is the distance one. Where does the universe end and what is it bounded by? In the universe with no boundary, they can calculate statistically how far you'd have to travel to find you in an identical world. It's a bloody long walk.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,975
    MD

"Edited extra bit: Mr. Roger, if you want to make that comparison then surely you must also be in favour of an Allies-style coalition to destroy ISIS?"

Isis are not destroyable by any known means. It is like sticking nails into the proverbial blancmange
  • Options

Interesting how pb.com works. On the same day we are dealing with the mind-boggling concepts of multi-verses, infinite time and space - and the Labour Party electing Jeremy Corbyn.

Even stranger. 42% might be the line Corbyn needs to cross on 1st pass.
  • Options

People/sq km:

England - 419
    Holland - 408
    Wales - 258
    Germany - 226
    Italy - 205
    N. Ireland - 130
    Poland - 123
    Portugal - 116
    France - 105
    Romania - 89
    Bulgaria - 66
    Scotland - 40
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, very confident assertion given our military contribution is limited to air strikes.

Mr. CD13, I thought there was evidence for a spherical universe? [ie travel far enough in one direction and you return to where you started]. Could be wrong, of course. Not my field. And I don't have a faster than light spaceship either :p
  • Options
    CD13 said:

A line of thought that Professor Hawking shares with St Augustine, who was of the view that there was no such thing as time until God created the universe.
  • Options
    I'm hesitant to reopen the migrant topic, but there's another aspect that hasn't been talked about much: and that's the traffickers.

Currently some people are making an absolute fortune from people desperate to (escape from danger / get a better life). Some reports say this is a more profitable business than drugs smuggling (*). These evil people will want to continue making money.

Whatever we do, they will react to undermine or work around it, so their revenue streams are not diminished. We need to tackle them before we can even start to come up with a solution to the problem. Yet they are, by their nature, in the shadows.

This is not a reason to do nothing; but it is an added layer of complexity that is not getting much discussion.

(*) Citation needed.
  • Options
    CD."its a bloody long walk" I bet there would be some refugees there before you....
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    JEO said:
    "Olivia Pinkney, Sussex Police's assistant chief constable and the National Police Chief Council's lead on children and young people, said if a school chose to take an incident to the police, then officers must record the crime."

What's a "lead"? It sounds like one of those new-fangled social worker terms.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439

kle4 said:

Any discussion about luck always brings to my mind Arnie Palmer's response when it was suggested he was a bit lucky - "It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get"
    Or maybe Gary Player; or perhaps Lee Trevino or was it Sam Goldwyn?
  • Options

: and that's the traffickers.

They will cynically and ruthlessly exploit Merkel's latest gesture.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited September 2015

JEO said:

Does anyone know why Alternative for Germany are not doing better in the polls? In the UK, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands and Austria right wing parties (or various stripes) have surged in the polls. In Germany, Merkel has just accepted 800,000 Middle Eastern migrants and people seem to be on board.

History and the German mentality and guilt.

Plus the refugee crisis would still be happening if there was no EU.
    With no EHCR it would be much more manageable, we could have throw out the 95% of asylum seekers that fail their application, resulting in a population much less immigration fatigued and much happier to accept a couple of hundred thousand Syrians, plus we get to kick out any that subsequently turn out to be chancers rather than refugees.
    Roger said:

6,000,000 Jews perished in Europe. Many could have been saved if enough civilized countries had given them sanctuary. I'm sorry but your questions are irrelevant to a humanitarian crisis

So we accept all 4.5 million displaced Syrians ? Plus a similar number at least in economic migrants coming here in their shadow, and we watch several thousand people drown in the med as the number of people trying to cross from other countries increases by an order of magnitude. 10/10 for bleeding heart emoting, 0/10 for common sense and not getting UKIP elected in 4 years time.
  • Options
    On topic - Anyone else find the lack of recent polling on the Labour leadership a bit odd ?

You can smell Kellner lining up his excuses.
  • Options

Mr. Roger, very confident assertion given our military contribution is limited to air strikes.

Mr. CD13, I thought there was evidence for a spherical universe? [ie travel far enough in one direction and you return to where you started]. Could be wrong, of course. Not my field. And I don't have a faster than light spaceship either :p

I thought the theory was that the universe was finite but unbounded. Rather like being a 2 dimensional creature on a 3 dimensional sphere. A 2 dimensional creature would have no concept of 3 dimensions and travel round the surface of the sphere indefinitely and find no 'end' point. To it, in 2 dimensions, the universe would be infinite.

Somewhere in all this multi dimensional multi-verse business gravity must come into play and either blow it all up or limit its scope. (?)
  • Options

just think y'self lucky we're not in the universe that elects edwina currie as labour leader
  • Options
    Roger said:

MD

"Edited extra bit: Mr. Roger, if you want to make that comparison then surely you must also be in favour of an Allies-style coalition to destroy ISIS?"

Isis are not destroyable by any known means. It is like sticking nails into the proverbial blancmange

No - thats your brain.
  • Options
    As JJ is, I'm also loathe to mention the migrant crisis (I do think it's all got a bit odd here the last couple of days), but I wondered what people felt about (morally, tactically etc.) about the decision to publish the photographs and what effect it will have on public opinion.

I'm feeling a bit outraged of Tunbridge Wells about it. I looked at online news last night, and although I clicked away as quickly as I could the image is seared in my mind - it took me many hours to sleep last night.

Clearly the media have taken a view, and as far as I can see that view is that the public need to be shocked into caring about the people. But how will people react? And it's so complicated an issue that that shock can't be easily harnessed. We see starving children in Africa we think the answer is send them food - we see migrant children drowning in the Med, what are we supposed to do about it?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

: and that's the traffickers.

They will exploit Merkel's latest cynical and ruthless gesture.

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On topic - Anyone else find the lack of recent polling on the Labour leadership a bit odd ?

I think it's very strange. Where's Lord Ashcroft when you need him?

Well, he's in Belize obviously, but you know what I mean.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I agree with Ruth. However, Dan Hannan's piece is very interesting:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2015/09/daniel-hannan-mep-i-saw-the-migrant-crisis-first-hand-theres-no-way-the-eu-can-solve-it.html

We (including the UK) clearly need to help the people who have already made it to Europe, but crucially without encouraging more to try to make the same journey - for their own sake as much as for ours. It's the journey that is killing people.

Accordingly investment in dealing with the problem at source (or as close as is practicable) seems to be the way to go. Not coincidentally, that's what Britain has been doing far more of than any of our EU partners over the last few years. Cameron is well within his rights to be furious with Merkel; not the other way around.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,774
    edited September 2015
    DearPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's very strange. Where's Lord Ashcroft when you need him?

Well, he's in Belize obviously, but you know what I mean.
    Only YouGov have a panel large enough to poll on the Labour leadership election.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Deleted: confused miles and km ;)
  • Options
    Interesting contrast between the outrage at the photos of the US newsreader being killed and the importance of publishing a dead child on a beach.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,051
    edited September 2015
    Mr. PB, consider what's happening in North Korean concentration camps, Eritrea, or many other places. Action must be taken that alleviates rather than exacerbates the crisis.

If more are encouraged to come, drownings will increase. People smugglers [including ISIS] will make more money. Infiltration by extremists will increase.

Processing claimants (taking fingerprints, photos and, if necessary, DNA) outside of the EU and actually deporting those found to be fraudulent seems the way forward. Secures borders and decreases potentially deadly journeys.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Flashman (deceased), an excellent point I hadn't considered.
  • Options

antifrank said:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2015/09/daniel-hannan-mep-i-saw-the-migrant-crisis-first-hand-theres-no-way-the-eu-can-solve-it.html

We (including the UK) clearly need to help the people who have already made it to Europe, but crucially without encouraging more to try to make the same journey - for their own sake as much as for ours. It's the journey that is killing people.

Accordingly investment in dealing with the problem at source (or as close as is practicable) seems to be the way to go. Not coincidentally, that's what Britain has been doing far more of than any of our EU partners over the last few years. Cameron is well within his rights to be furious with Merkel; not the other way around.
    I agree with Dan.
  • Options

CD13 said:

I believe there was another Horizon programme recently on just that question.
    Yes but what was before that 'another horizon programme'? :-)

And surely the question is not "Well, what was before then?" but, what was before "Well, what was before then?"
    If 'nothing' was what there was before time began then what was this 'nothing'. Does the word 'was' have any meaning before time began ? Does the word 'began' have any meaning if there was no time when time er... began.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I agree with Dan.

It is a very well balanced piece.

The bit we might all do well to follow would be to avoid "treating immigration policy as a test of decency".
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015
    The most recent Trump vs Clinton polls put Clinton's lead at 4, 6 and 5 points:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
  • Options
    On topic, I'm not sure the economists' letter in the FT has yet been linked to on here:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/23076458-50d2-11e5-8642-453585f2cfcd.html#axzz3kOxa3Ql4

"Sir, We wish to register our opinion that the economic policies sketched by Jeremy Corbyn are likely to be highly damaging, and send this message to counter the impression that might be got from the previous letter of “41 economists” that Mr Corbyn’s policies command widespread support in the mainstream of the discipline.

Renationalising industries is highly unlikely to improve the performance of its targets, and very likely, if history is anything to go by, to make things worse. If compensation is paid, it will be a waste of fiscal space, even unaffordable; in case it is not, it will be extremely damaging to the climate for enterprise in the UK as other companies fear the government would get a taste for it.

“People’s QE” would be a highly damaging threat to fiscal credibility, and unnecessary, since at this time of very low interest rates and tolerable debt/GDP public investment — in many areas much needed — can be financed conventionally. Figures put on money that could be found from ending “corporate welfare” and combating tax evasion are almost unbelievable and add to the sense that Mr Corbyn’s plans have not been seriously thought through."
  • Options

Mr. PB, consider what's happening in North Korean concentration camps, Eritrea, or many other places. Action must be taken that alleviates rather than exacerbates the crisis.

If more are encouraged to come, drownings will increase. People smugglers [including ISIS] will make more money. Infiltration by extremists will increase.

Processing claimants (taking fingerprints, photos and, if necessary, DNA) outside of the EU and actually deporting those found to be fraudulent seems the way forward. Secures borders and decreases potentially deadly journeys.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Flashman (deceased), an excellent point I hadn't considered.

But this is my point - there are many answers about what Governments, International organisations etc. should do, but they're open to debate, complex and opaque to most. Some would say close the borders make it clear that no-one will be admitted then bomb ISIL, others say open the borders, put refugee camps in every town in Europe and realise that it's all our fault because we invaded Iraq 12 years ago.

I can't take DNA, patrol the border, or indeed take a refugee into my spare bedroom, so now that I'm upset about this child what do I do. And I don't really mean me, I mean 'the public'. What is the outcome desired by what seems like a concerted effort by the media to upset people. Surely there have been other photos just as upsetting. But now this photo is the one that's unavoidable. I've tried to avoid it all morning but still seen it at least 3 times.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    TGOHF said:

Interesting contrast between the outrage at the photos of the US newsreader being killed and the importance of publishing a dead child on a beach.

It shocking. Its its causing people to leave their brains in their other trousers. So suppose we say yes, we will take half a million refugees. Will that cause more people to cross or less? Will that in turn cause more dead children to be washed up on beaches or less? People appear to want to kill more children to salve their consciences.

In other parts of the world hundreds of children die in disgraceful circumstances, and yet we don't get pictures of those in our newspapers, so people don't care, its not about helping children, its about feeling better about ourselves. I expect there will be a twitter hashtag about it shortly, that always makes things better.

http://www.unicef.org/media/media_82940.html
    SANAA, Yemen, 19 August 2015 – An average of eight children are being killed or maimed every day in Yemen as a direct result of the conflict gripping the country, according to a report released by UNICEF.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015
    antifrank said:

On topic, I'm not sure the economists' letter in the FT has yet been linked to on here:

Kitty Ussher ex-MP amongst the signatories, there. Not to mention the infamous Ronald MacDonald. Presumably the Hamburglar is supporting Corbyn.
  • Options
    DearPB said:

As JJ is, I'm also loathe to mention the migrant crisis (I do think it's all got a bit odd here the last couple of days), but I wondered what people felt about (morally, tactically etc.) about the decision to publish the photographs and what effect it will have on public opinion.

I'm feeling a bit outraged of Tunbridge Wells about it. I looked at online news last night, and although I clicked away as quickly as I could the image is seared in my mind - it took me many hours to sleep last night.

Clearly the media have taken a view, and as far as I can see that view is that the public need to be shocked into caring about the people. But how will people react? And it's so complicated an issue that that shock can't be easily harnessed. We see starving children in Africa we think the answer is send them food - we see migrant children drowning in the Med, what are we supposed to do about it?

My son is one, and when I saw that picture I automatically thought of him. And as he was at nursery, I couldn't do what I wanted and immediately give him a hug. It was very unsettling, to say the least.

It's a powerful set of images, and they might take its place amongst images that have helped change public opinion: from Phan Thi Kim Phuc to Michael Beurk's reports on starving children in Africa in 1984.

But as you rightly say, the answers about what to do about the problem are far from clear, and it is easy to see every course of action making things worse, both in the short and the long term. Yet choosing to do nothing is also a choice, and is just as worthy of criticism.
  • Options
    Mr. PB, being sad won't bring him back. We should focus on trying to stop it happening again, or at least reducing the odds on it recurring.

People with good intentions suggesting we open the borders will only increase dangerous journeys undertaken by desperate people, enriching criminals and risking lives.

On a personal level, you could always give money to a charity assisting refugee camps in the area.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I agree; we are doing what we can and that which is for the best. Its quite pathetic to see all this self serving criticism of Cameron and the Govt.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Are US opinion polls like this done on a national popular vote basis? If so then that's like a total landslide is it not when translated into electoral college?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

Are US opinion polls like this done on a national popular vote basis? If so then that's like a total landslide is it not when translated into electoral college?
    Are you ready for the Fiorina surge :) ?
  • Options

DearPB said:

My son is one, and when I saw that picture I automatically thought of him. And as he was at nursery, I couldn't do what I wanted and immediately give him a hug. It was very unsettling, to say the least.

It's a powerful set of images, and they might take its place amongst images that have helped change public opinion: from Phan Thi Kim Phuc to Michael Beurk's reports on starving children in Africa in 1984.

But as you rightly say, the answers about what to do about the problem are far from clear, and it is easy to see every course of action making things worse, both in the short and the long term. Yet choosing to do nothing is also a choice, and is just as worthy of criticism.
    I have sons of 1 and 5 and my reaction was the same as yours. But I felt angry at the newspaper (The Daily Telegraph) for forcing me to see it. Indeed I immediately searched the internet to see if the Telegraph was being roundly condemned, only to see the photograph everywhere else. And I should say that:

a) I'm not a particularly delicate flower; and
    b) I'm as liberal as liberal can be on immigration and I'd take them all.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

A bit of a shocker for those who thought Trump would be a breath of fresh air to American politics.

I'll get my coat
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

MD

ISIS will end when their own people turn on the barbarism and nihilism inherent in orthodox Islam. We may have to wait a while.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    To be completely hard hearted about it..that pic of the dead toddler and pics of many would be refugees who finish up dead on European beaches should be displayed at the point of embarkation..DO not get on to a leaky dinghy with your kids because this is where they will end....and this has nothing to do with the attitudes of Europeans..
  • Options
    A while, Mr. Foxinsox?

I dub thee frontrunner in the Understatement of the Day award.
  • Options

Mr. PB, being sad won't bring him back. We should focus on trying to stop it happening again, or at least reducing the odds on it recurring.

People with good intentions suggesting we open the borders will only increase dangerous journeys undertaken by desperate people, enriching criminals and risking lives.

On a personal level, you could always give money to a charity assisting refugee camps in the area.

My point is that there is legitimate disagreement on how we "try to stop it happening again". Many honourable and caring people have diametrically opposed views.

And one could argue that giving money to fund refugee camps only exacerbates the problem (one could not that I do).
  • Options
    On the selfie crime:
    "However, before the image disappeared, the girl saved it on her own phone and it was then sent to other pupils at the school."

Fail to see why she has (apparently) not also been considered guilty of the crime of distributing such images.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Well said.

To be completely hard hearted about it..that pic of the dead toddler and pics of many would be refugees who finish up dead on European beaches should be displayed at the point of embarkation..DO not get on to a leaky dinghy with your kids because this is where they will end....and this has nothing to do with the attitudes of Europeans..

• Options

On the selfie crime:
    "However, before the image disappeared, the girl saved it on her own phone and it was then sent to other pupils at the school."

Fail to see why she has (apparently) not also been considered guilty of the crime of distributing such images.

A very good point.
  • Options

On the selfie crime:

Because she is female, while he is male. It's similar to how the first woman convicted of revenge porn got a tiny sentence, and had it suspended anyway. Or how women stopped for speeding are more likely to be let off. The policing and judicial system of this country has a strong bias towards women.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    No wonder Clinton's campaign is in a bit of trouble if she can only register single digit leads over Trump in the latest polls...
  • Options

Crimes these days are treated differently according to gonad type I thought you knew that ;)

• Options

On the selfie crime:

I went on a skiing trip at about the age of ten, and streaked naked across the room (God knows why). My friend took a photo of me completely starkers and then showed it to a teacher at the school. I was worried I'd get into trouble, but I think the teacher had a brief laugh and told my friend to get rid of it, or he would.

If that happened now, the old bill would be round, no doubt the teacher would be on the paedophile list and both me and my friend would have a criminal record !
  • Options
    If we're criminalising teenage boys trying to impress teenage girls with their bodies, the prisons are going to be very full indeed.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Johnny Mercer quite good on Today this am also, the lily-livered, addled softy that he is.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If we're criminalising teenage boys trying to impress teenage girls with their bodies, the prisons are going to be very full indeed.

Obviously he's not going to head to jail, but couldn't it have a very real affect on his employment chances ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Obviously he's not going to head to jail, but couldn't it have a very real affect on his employment chances ?
    Depends what he wants to be when he grows up....
  • Options

antifrank said:

Johnny Mercer quite good on Today this am also, the lily-livered, addled softy that he is.
    There was an excellent profile of Mercer on HuffPo on Tuesday. Good to see Parliament hasn't washed his mouth out yet ("some little shitbag in Plymouth found it on the internet and sent it to the local paper")

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/01/johnny-mercer-we-need-to-_n_8070974.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I don't follow her logic. The deaths are all happening in the Mediterranean. Doesn't that require us to do more abroad? You have pointed out the tragedy of children dying at sea - what is your suggested policy to prevent this?

• Options
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

It shocking. Its its causing people to leave their brains in their other trousers. So suppose we say yes, we will take half a million refugees. Will that cause more people to cross or less? Will that in turn cause more dead children to be washed up on beaches or less? People appear to want to kill more children to salve their consciences.

In other parts of the world hundreds of children die in disgraceful circumstances, and yet we don't get pictures of those in our newspapers, so people don't care, its not about helping children, its about feeling better about ourselves. I expect there will be a twitter hashtag about it shortly, that always makes things better.

http://www.unicef.org/media/media_82940.html
    SANAA, Yemen, 19 August 2015 – An average of eight children are being killed or maimed every day in Yemen as a direct result of the conflict gripping the country, according to a report released by UNICEF.
    If you were shocked by that image of the dead child and want to help desperate people in poverty, then think on this from UNICEF:

"Deadly diseases like measles, polio, tetanus, tuberculosis, diphtheria and whooping cough are all easily and cheaply preventable by immunisation. Yet every day, 17,000 children under five die, usually because they don’t get the health care and life-saving vaccines they need. "

You can choose to help a fortunate few, those who have raided their family savings to pay people smugglers to get them out. Or you can choose to help entire stricken communities.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Yup. CRB/DBS problems. Could also cause problems when applying to go to University
  • Options
    DearPB said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Depends what he wants to be when he grows up....
    You're right, it's a sexual offence relating to a child isn't it ! Bloody hell. It needs to be annulled or some such when he turns 18.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    antifrank said:

The difference is that the argument over immigration in Scotland is framed in terms of notable parties actually arguing in favour of more immigration and putting forward a positive case - something completely absent in the mainstream parties in Westminster.

It highlights one of the huge mistakes Labour have made in recent years by turning volte face and trying to portray themselves as an anti-immigration party - although their historic failures of integration and promotion of multiculturalism haven't helped.
  • Options
    Roger said:

MD

What's proverbial about "blancmange"? ISIS is singular and I would suggest that anything on this planet is destroyable and we have the means to do it. It's the will that is lacking as far as ISIS is concerned.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

People/sq km:

England - 419
    Holland - 408
    Wales - 258
    Germany - 226
    Italy - 205
    N. Ireland - 130
    Poland - 123
    Portugal - 116
    France - 105
    Romania - 89
    Bulgaria - 66
    Scotland - 40
    Scotland it is then
  • Options

antifrank said:

There was an excellent profile of Mercer on HuffPo on Tuesday. Good to see Parliament hasn't washed his mouth out yet ("some little shitbag in Plymouth found it on the internet and sent it to the local paper")

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/01/johnny-mercer-we-need-to-_n_8070974.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
    He's rather good, isn't he? The bit about how to deal with ISIL is worth a read.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Yup. CRB/DBS problems. Could also cause problems when applying to go to University
    Do you have a record check when going to university these days?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

antifrank said:

I have a humongous man crush on Johnny Mercer.

If he told me to be nice and complimentary to Mark Reckless I would then say nice things about Reckless
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I am satisfied with the current approach of the UK Conservative leadership. I think the UK has done and is doing its fair share.
  • Options
    DearPB said:

kle4 said:

Or maybe Gary Player; or perhaps Lee Trevino or was it Sam Goldwyn?
    Thank you for correcting me. It was of course Gary Player but the sentiment holds despite the misidentification. I'm still embarrassed.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Pulpstar said:

People/sq km:

England - 419
    Holland - 408
    Wales - 258
    Germany - 226
    Italy - 205
    N. Ireland - 130
    Poland - 123
    Portugal - 116
    France - 105
    Romania - 89
    Bulgaria - 66
    Scotland - 40
    Clearly England has experience of dealing with a high density population and is best placed to deal with a large influx of more.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I have a humongous man crush on Johnny Mercer.

If he told me to be nice and complimentary to Mark Reckless I would then say nice things about Reckless

Perhaps. But not in this universe.

• Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Do you have a record check when going to university these days?
    In some circumstances yes

Do I need a CRB disclosure?

You may be asked to apply for a CRB check when you apply to study or work at the University, or you may be asked during the course of your time with us.

If you have been asked to apply for a CRB check prior to registration, it is usually because your programme of study involves registration with a professional body that requires a CRB check or because it is one of the entry criteria for your chosen programme of study.

If you are asked to apply for a CRB check during the course of your studies, it is likely that you are going to be working in an environment where there are children and/or vulnerable adults. This is usually because you are taking part in a module, placement, or other University activity for which a CRB check is required.

http://bit.ly/1KL0ZN6
  • Options
    antifrank said:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/23076458-50d2-11e5-8642-453585f2cfcd.html#axzz3kOxa3Ql4

"Sir, We wish to register our opinion that the economic policies sketched by Jeremy Corbyn are likely to be highly damaging, and send this message to counter the impression that might be got from the previous letter of “41 economists” that Mr Corbyn’s policies command widespread support in the mainstream of the discipline.

Renationalising industries is highly unlikely to improve the performance of its targets, and very likely, if history is anything to go by, to make things worse. If compensation is paid, it will be a waste of fiscal space, even unaffordable; in case it is not, it will be extremely damaging to the climate for enterprise in the UK as other companies fear the government would get a taste for it.

“People’s QE” would be a highly damaging threat to fiscal credibility, and unnecessary, since at this time of very low interest rates and tolerable debt/GDP public investment — in many areas much needed — can be financed conventionally. Figures put on money that could be found from ending “corporate welfare” and combating tax evasion are almost unbelievable and add to the sense that Mr Corbyn’s plans have not been seriously thought through."

What is an "economist"?

I ask, because I suspect most members of the public when asked would expect it to mean someone who has practical expertise in either (or all) of money, business and trade and is therefore very well informed in understanding how to maintain and maximise prosperity.

Yet most of these Corbynite "economists" seem to be academics. With the greatest respect, someone who's gone straight from an undergrad degree, and then into a PhD, and then into a junior lecturing position - eventually reaching professorship after writing many peer-approved studies and papers - at a left-wing university isn't quite the same thing.
  • Options

just think y'self lucky we're not in the universe that elects edwina currie as labour leader
    I think that might be quite fun. She could then presumably choose who to have it off with. Answers on a postcard please.