Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Good Friday open thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,964
    Socrates said:

EU opens new chapter of negotiation with Turkey:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/erdogan-to-visit-brussels-after-the-opening-of-new-chapter-eu-minister.aspx?pageID=238&nID=43876&NewsCatID=351

It's worth noting that David Cameron has promised to "fight" for Turkish EU membership, and providing unlimited access to the UK for the 73 million Turkish citizens. It's worth bearing in mind that's more than the populations of all the A8 countries that joined in 2004 (Poland, Czechia, Hungary, Slovakia, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovenia and Estonia) put together. It's also growing a lot faster - the population will reach 94 million by 2030.

I'd love to hear him debate that with Farage! I'm pro-EU, (and very definitely anti leaving) but I thought bringing the Balkan States in was mad. As for Turkey!!!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,601
    "A huge list of often bizarre and useless French bureaucratic rules, including forcing schools to weigh portions of paella and measuring baguettes, have cost the country two billion euros in the past four years and must be slashed, a parliamentary report advises."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9961764/Measure-your-baguettes-the-crazy-rules-costing-France-billions.html
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates said:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/erdogan-to-visit-brussels-after-the-opening-of-new-chapter-eu-minister.aspx?pageID=238&nID=43876&NewsCatID=351

It's worth noting that David Cameron has promised to "fight" for Turkish EU membership, and providing unlimited access to the UK for the 73 million Turkish citizens. It's worth bearing in mind that's more than the populations of all the A8 countries that joined in 2004 (Poland, Czechia, Hungary, Slovakia, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovenia and Estonia) put together. It's also growing a lot faster - the population will reach 94 million by 2030.

I'd love to hear him debate that with Farage! I'm pro-EU, (and very definitely anti leaving) but I thought bringing the Balkan States in was mad. As for Turkey!!!
    According to Sweden, it could happen pretty quickly:

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/147892/turkey-close-to-eu-membership-says-swedish-ambassador.html

I suggest UKIP reminds people that Cameron, Clegg and Miliband all support bringing Turkey into the EU and it's free movement area.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,964
    Socrates said:

I suggest UKIP reminds people that Cameron, Clegg and Miliband all support bringing Turkey into the EU and it's free movement area.

Anyone know the Pirate view?

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    “Have a good Easter.”

You too Mike - sounds like the perfect break to recharge the batteries. Enjoy.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2013
    @MikeK

"Yes you do look like a monkey. Great photo."

I am a photographer so the compliment is appreciated and it is pretty good. Ironically taken in the Ghetto in Venice! I didn't get the monkey reference? Did you think the photo was of me??
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Socrates

I thought you were down on the EU for not being dynamic economies and having few growth prospects. But you appear to oppose the entry of a dynamic economy with significant growth prospects?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Neil said:

@Socrates

I thought you were down on the EU for not being dynamic economies and having few growth prospects. But you appear to oppose the entry of a dynamic economy with significant growth prospects?

I strongly support free trade with Turkey. I strongly oppose mass, uncontrolled immigration from Turkey, which is what would happen if they joined the EU.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Clearly not a chinless fop...

@archiebland: Special sneak preview of the marvellous picture of Ed Miliband in saturday's Indy http://twitter.com/archiebland/status/317716833203548160/photo/1
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Clearly not a chinless fop...

@archiebland: Special sneak preview of the marvellous picture of Ed Miliband in saturday's Indy http://twitter.com/archiebland/status/317716833203548160/photo/1

Nailed on to be PM - 6 weeks of that face on the news. Nailed on I tells ya.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TimesNewsdesk: David’s sudden departure was a relief, admits Ed Miliband http://thetim.es/ZIF8Nm
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    @Carlotta. "Once asked what he would like his epitaph to be, he replied: “Richard Griffiths. Actor. Born 1947. Died 2947.”

Talking of which doesn't Nick Hytner look old?

PS. Ed's naked ambition is really unattractive and by effectively banishing his brother he's opened the door for a possible Cameron victory. Ed's just not prime ministerial material and the only Labour candidate who is has just buggered off. Expect Labour poll leads to start dropping. What were Labour thinking?
  • Options
    The BBC has descriptions of two men who are responsible for a rape on Glasgow:

Both of the attackers are said to be aged around 18 to 20.

One is about 5ft 10in, with a shaved head and wearing a black jumper.

The other man has brown, spiky hair and was wearing a tracksuit which may have been grey, with a body warmer or jacket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21974375

I struggle to believe the police didn't release the men's skin colours, as that's standard. Why on Earth is the BBC leaving it out? Some absurd PC policy? I assume at least one of them is white, as the vast majority of non-whites have black hair, but if it's an appeal, surely this should be clarified?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Socrates said:

Neil said:

@Socrates

I strongly support free trade with Turkey. I strongly oppose mass, uncontrolled immigration from Turkey, which is what would happen if they joined the EU.
    Why would anyone come from a country with 6% growth rate to one which does not know what growth is ?

Did you mean mass immigration from the UK, like to Spain ? How would you control that ?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

According to Sweden, it could happen pretty quickly:

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/147892/turkey-close-to-eu-membership-says-swedish-ambassador.html

That's what happens after 5 years of stagnation. They hasten to bring in the country that was ostracized. A beacon of growth and prosperity.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Neil said:

@Socrates

How long do you think they will have a dynamic economy for once they've joined the EU

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Socrates said:

The BBC has descriptions of two men who are responsible for a rape on Glasgow:

Both of the attackers are said to be aged around 18 to 20.

One is about 5ft 10in, with a shaved head and wearing a black jumper.

The other man has brown, spiky hair and was wearing a tracksuit which may have been grey, with a body warmer or jacket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21974375

I struggle to believe the police didn't release the men's skin colours, as that's standard. Why on Earth is the BBC leaving it out? Some absurd PC policy? I assume at least one of them is white, as the vast majority of non-whites have black hair, but if it's an appeal, surely this should be clarified?

They might be east european. In the context of the ongoing argument over immigration that counts the same.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,601
    An interesting cultural, if not political comment, in the latest US blockbuster of "America in extremis" "Olympus has Fallen", the acting President, played by Morgan Freeman, says "I want to talk to the Russians, the Chinese, the British and the French in that order..."

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eWnt2exFm1o&desktop_uri=/watch?v=eWnt2exFm1o
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,246
    TGOHF said:

Nailed on to be PM - 6 weeks of that face on the news. Nailed on I tells ya.

Ed is good! Ed is great!

:)
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Scott_P said:

@TimesNewsdesk: David’s sudden departure was a relief, admits Ed Miliband http://thetim.es/ZIF8Nm

I was just wondering if Ed Miliband would find it a difficult PR call to visit his brothers former constituency when as expected we see a Labour victory. I would have thought that Ed Miliband wouldn't have wanted to be seen to be celebrating his brothers departure from politics in any way, shape or form. But I see that he is already making that mistake in spades, this sudden departure by Miliband senior will certainly re-open the brothers Leadership contest wounds in the media right up until the by-election is decided.

• Options
    fitalass said:

this sudden departure by Miliband senior will certainly re-open the brothers Leadership contest wounds in the media right up until the by-election is decided.

While leaving it dead as an issue between then and the next general election. Result for Labour.

• Options
    @MrJones/Socrates - the BBC description appears to be lifted straight from Strathclyde Police's website.
    http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/whats_happening/news/2013/march/serious-sexual-assault-pollok/
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Socrates said:

Neil said:

@Socrates

Why would anyone come from a country with 6% growth rate to one which does not know what growth is ?

What's the average unskilled and semi-skilled wage in Turkey?

• Options

@MrJones/Socrates - the BBC description appears to be lifted straight from Strathclyde Police's website.
    http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/whats_happening/news/2013/march/serious-sexual-assault-pollok/

After 40 years of beasting the police are as PC as the BBC.
  • Options

Please dont deconstruct the BBC conspiracy theories too early. You rob people of their fun. They had hours on an NHS documentary recently.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2013
    Re immigrants versus locals.

A Polish street cleaner, Piotr Mikiewicz, was killed while tryng to stop a British burglar, Roger Buckingham. It happened in Shepherd's Bush.

The local Brit has got 27 years in jail. The dead Polish immigrant gets our gratitude for setting an example to the locals whilst the judge described him as a truly exceptional man.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/27/burglar-killed-street-sweeper-jailed

• Options
    @Socrates
    "I struggle to believe the police didn't release the men's skin colours,"

There are as many skin colours as a pantone colour chart. I would have thought build and hair style was as far as they could accurately go in most cases. Or do you know something about their ethnicity that you know would help identification?
  • Options

Socrates said:

Anyone know the Pirate view?

"The Pirate Code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    @Neil "While leaving it dead as an issue between then and the next general election. Result for Labour."

Good luck with that prediction. I think if anything, David Miliband's departure will linger in the media narrative as a clear indication of the direction of the Labour party and Ed Miliband's Leadership right up to the GE.
  • Options

Re immigrants versus locals.

A polish street cleaner, Piotr Mikiewicz, was killed while tryng to stop a British burglar, Roger Buckingham. It happened in Shepherd's Bush.

The local Brit has got 27 years in jail. The dead Polish immigrant gets our gratitude for setting an example to the locals whilst the judge described him as a truly exceptional man.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/27/burglar-killed-street-sweeper-jailed

Which makes my point.

There's criminals in every ethnic group but the PC try to pretend it's only one way hence when it happens the way round you mention the details are fully and explicitly reported with all the names and ethnicities of the individuals concerned *specifically* mentioned.

Nasty white working class being nasty again.

However when it happens the other way round they're not. The names are ethnicities are specifically *not* spelled out.

Thanks for highlighting the truth of the original comment.
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    Roger said:

@Socrates
    "I struggle to believe the police didn't release the men's skin colours,"

There are as many skin colours as a pantone colour chart. I would have thought build and hair style was as far as they could accurately go in most cases. Or do you know something about their ethnicity that you know would help identification?

When some Russian oligarch got shot recently the fair and balanced had no problem identifying the shooter as white. Some people are obviously more race neutral than others.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    "My ancestors came over wth the Norman conquest"

Incomers! My ancesters came over with the Saxons.

• Options
    New thread
  • Options
    tim said:

Mr Jones

Could be that Londons crime rates have fallen and educational standards have risen because of white flight.
    Thick BNP racists leaving has to show up in the figures when they are replaced by educated hard workers from inside or outside the UK

Personally i think behind the mask of PC anti-racism is a genocidal anti-white racism but aside from that yes it's logically possible and i look forward to the Labour party using that argument at the next election.

• Options
    Although i think the Labour party using that argument is about as unlikely as the members of the educational wing of the nomenklatura or Labour MPs letting their own kids go within a mile of those miraculously improved schools.
  • Options
    tim said:

MrJones
    Many of the people who have moved to London are white,the improvement in the city is that they replace thick racists

I'll look forward to the Labour party using that line on the telly to the - now millions - of people who know the reasons why they personally moved whether those reasons were ever reported on the BBC or not.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Plato said:

For anyone else who's made the eat/heat decision - Fraser is spot on.

RT @frasernelson: A Brit is dying from cold every 7 minutes, while ministers still fret about global warming. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth/9959856/Its-the-cold-not-global-warming-that-we-should-be-worried-about.html

@Plato

One of the few times I have agreed with Fraser nelson.
This discussion has been closed.