Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » When will Dave depart ?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » When will Dave depart ?

In his late March interview, David Cameron announced that he would not serve out a third term. Here I take a look at when he may leave and some associated odds:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267
    Personally, I don't think any of those odds are tempting. We simply don't have enough information on Cameron's intentions to know what he's thinking - one off-the-cuff remark about five months ago - and all the scenarios you posit are therefore plausible. Plus, he can't afford too many silly mistakes like today's or that will affect the timetable.

It would indeed be a great bargain for the person who gets it right, but it's fraught with risk.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'll make my comments later when I've been able to place some bets. For now I'll comment that there seems to be a lot of value in some of those prices.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    After 2020 is backable at 12-1 with SkyBet. I've omitted that from the piece >< !
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    He also said he'd serve the whole Parly whilst on a foreign trip just a week or so ago.
    ydoethur said:

Personally, I don't think any of those odds are tempting. We simply don't have enough information on Cameron's intentions to know what he's thinking - one off-the-cuff remark about five months ago - and all the scenarios you posit are therefore plausible. Plus, he can't afford too many silly mistakes like today's or that will affect the timetable.

It would indeed be a great bargain for the person who gets it right, but it's fraught with risk.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    FPT: (in response to Plato):-

If her (CB's) birth was not registered, how did she get a passport? How did she open a bank account? How did she get a visa to come to this country? This does not smell right.

It is also quite convenient because it helps bat away questions about some, ahem, irregularities about the age she was when she was studying for various qualifications and when she was at the various colleges she says she was at.

Re Pride and Ego: these could be added to the list. TBH both are encompassed by Complacency and Hubris and Greed. Greed doesn't have to be for money. Often it isn't but for Status, Titles, a Bigger Job etc etc.

The excuses and rationalisations which Mark Hopkins listed are all there - and plenty more besides.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317
    edited August 2015
    FPT
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

in an area that the Tories have wrecked completely already.

Which Tories were these Malc? The ones in opposition in Edinburgh, or the ones in opposition in Westminster?
    Given Scotland is a Tory free zone , it has to be the latter
    1 Tory MP
    1 Tory MEP
    15 Tory MSPs
    115 Tory councillors
  • Options
    Incidentally, these types of markets always remind me of the logic problem about the executioner who tells his victim that he will execute him on one day in the next week but the actual day will come as a complete surprise to him when it happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I don't know if the thread header can be edited slightly now it's up but:

"2020: 7-1 Sky Bet (Cease to be PM)

This can win in one of two ways (Excluding the ever present actuarial method) - first the Conservative leadership contest takes place around Spring Conference, although the timeframe from that to the GE is VERY short indeed. Second, Dave decides to take on the GE as PM and loses - it is possible that this happens despite Labour's current woes - indeed Labour don't even need most seats to force the Conservatives out of office. It looks like a slam dunk for the Tories right now, but 5 years is a long time and all that.

2021: 12-1 Sky Bet (Cease to be PM)

Dave reverses his intention to stand down and goes on to win a third term. He probably won't, but at 12-1 it is coverable.

If I had to pick one bet it would probably be 2019 : 7-2, but there simply MUST be value in at least one or more of the options - it's hard to envisage a scenario where Dave isn't both PM and Tory leader either, seeing as we're in majority Gov't, indeed a late 2018 handover could be a 'double winner' - but this is unlikely..."

Was the original end ;)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Plato said:

Her father doesn't know either? Or her grandparents?

What a lot of amnesia there is in Iran.

Camila Batmanghelidjh was born to a wealthy family in Iran. In a Guardian interview last year she said that because she was premature it was thought that she would die, and so was sent home without her birth being registered. She told the paper: "I don't know my birthday. My mother can't remember."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33785018

Hmmmm....that sounds like the "20 year old" footballer Chancel Mbemba, otherwise known as Four Birthday Fred.

If her birth was not registered, how did she get a passport? How did she open a bank account? How did she get a visa to come to this country? This does not smell right.

It is also quite convenient because it helps bat away questions about some, ahem, irregularities about the age she was when she was studying for various qualifications and when she was at the various colleges she says she was at.

Four Birthday Fred is going to get a work visa, has a passport, has played in Europe for several years, despite openly admitting that his registered birthday on all official documents isn't correct.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Incidentally, these types of markets always remind me of the logic problem about the executioner who tells his victim that he will execute him on one day in the next week but the actual day will come as a complete surprise to him when it happens.

Presumably, unless it's a Sunday! (Or is Sunday considered the first day of the week for such purposes?)
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Apologies for veering immediately off topic, but I have been a bit out of the loop of late - have there been any "all voters" polls on voting intention if Corbyn was to become Labour leader?

With all the press he's getting, the public must now be forming a view of him. All the lefties I know are in paroxysms of excitement at the thought he might win, and I'm beginning to fear he won't just coalesce the disparate Left but might do rather well winning over many generally politically uncommitted voters with his populist rabble-rousing and bashing of the rich/greedy bankers and utility companies etc.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hmm, interesting article.

My immediate reaction is that 2016 and 2017 are the two bets of value. Essentially this is a bet on an Out result in the referendum - whatever he says now, in reality Cameron would certainly stand down (or be pushed out) if we've voted to leave the EU. Quite apart from anything else, the overwhelming issue for the government would immediately switch to negotiating our exit, and only someone (Owen Paterson?) who'd campaigned on the Out side, and developed the economic arguments to go with it, could credibly run the country, and the Conservative Party, in those circumstances.

The only issue is that we don't yet know the referendum date, but on the other hand for 2017 at least you also get a free bet that Cameron might leave reasonably quickly after a Stay In result. On balance, therefore, 16/1 on 2017 looks pretty good, for anyone Mr Hill will honour by laying a bet.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Plato said:

Camila Batmanghelidjh was born to a wealthy family in Iran. In a Guardian interview last year she said that because she was premature it was thought that she would die, and so was sent home without her birth being registered. She told the paper: "I don't know my birthday. My mother can't remember."

Hmmmm....that sounds like the "20 year old" footballer Chancel Mbemba, otherwise known as Four Birthday Fred.

If her birth was not registered, how did she get a passport? How did she open a bank account? How did she get a visa to come to this country? This does not smell right.

Four Birthday Fred is going to get a work visa, has a passport, has played in Europe for several years, despite openly admitting that his registered birthday on all official documents isn't correct.
    Basil D'Oliveira also famously altered his birth date - he shaved something like 7 years off his age so he appeared to be around 30 rather than nearly 40 when he qualified to play for England.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Tell me it isn't true that Ollie letwin has made the headlines again for been a clown.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Plato said:

He also said he'd serve the whole Parly whilst on a foreign trip just a week or so ago.

ydoethur said:

The Tories could abolish the fixed term parliament act.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    PS: I must have cleared the thoroughly rigorous Labour vetting process, because I've had my official "welcome to the Party" (ho-ho) email from Iain McNicol, and a nice email from Hattie sending me my list of candidates from which to select "our new leader" (tee-hee), with a cast-iron promise that my ballot email will be sent to me very shortly (ha ha ha ha).

I'm glad Labour took Bury South so much for granted that they didn't even bother doing any canvassing before the GE, I might have excluded myself from this fun little contest otherwise....
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Hmm, interesting article.

My immediate reaction is that 2016 and 2017 are the two bets of value. Essentially this is a bet on an Out result in the referendum - whatever he says now, in reality Cameron would certainly stand down (or be pushed out) if we've voted to leave the EU. Quite apart from anything else, the overwhelming issue for the government would immediately switch to negotiating our exit, and only someone (Owen Paterson?) who'd campaigned on the Out side, and developed the economic arguments to go with it, could credibly run the country, and the Conservative Party, in those circumstances.

The only issue is that we don't yet know the referendum date, but on the other hand for 2017 at least you also get a free bet that Cameron might leave reasonably quickly after a Stay In result. On balance, therefore, 16/1 on 2017 looks pretty good, for anyone Mr Hill will honour by laying a bet.

I don't hate Owen Paterson as much as some people do. But I'm still a bit disturbed that you have suggested a plausible way he could become PM.

Surely Philip Hammond or Michael Gove would be likely to resign if they thought a no vote was a possibility, because it would imply a failure of renegotiations? Not a huge fan of Gove either, but Hammond would do under such circumstances.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    If Cameron loses the EU vote the assumption seems to be he would be ousted, which makes sense. If he wins the vote, I can still very easily see him leaving, to enable the party to move on frrom a divisive time and all that cobbler, particularly if his annointed successor has things sewn up by then, but he might well be in a strong enough position to stay on to oversee a transition in future years.

So either 2017 or he's going pretty much the distance I'd say. I cannot see him staying on past 2020, as even if he wished to or the party looked in a poor state and he might be their best bet, I think having announced it and it being expected for some time, those waiting in the wings would see to it he could not remain somehow, and he doesn't want to go too early, so may actually try to attempt a new leader being elected while remaining as PM until the end.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    William Hills have David Cameron ceasing to be Tory leader in 2020 at a frankly ridiculous 8-13.

Sky Bet have 2017 as PM departure date at 9-4.

This is the cause of alot of the value on other years...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

I don't hate Owen Paterson as much as some people do. But I'm still a bit disturbed that you have suggested a plausible way he could become PM.

Surely Philip Hammond or Michael Gove would be likely to resign if they thought a no vote was a possibility, because it would imply a failure of renegotiations? Not a huge fan of Gove either, but Hammond would do under such circumstances.

The timing is tricky for any member of the government to switch to full-throated campaigning for the Out side, in time to be seen as a leader of the campaign rather than a Johnny-come-lately convert to it. The reason why I singled out Owen Paterson in particular is that he's been doing some quite serious thinking about what Out would and should actually mean. Of course it could easily be someone else.
  • Options

PS: I must have cleared the thoroughly rigorous Labour vetting process, because I've had my official "welcome to the Party" (ho-ho) email from Iain McNicol, and a nice email from Hattie sending me my list of candidates from which to select "our new leader" (tee-hee), with a cast-iron promise that my ballot email will be sent to me very shortly (ha ha ha ha).

I'm glad Labour took Bury South so much for granted that they didn't even bother doing any canvassing before the GE, I might have excluded myself from this fun little contest otherwise....

Careful. You'll have Monty onto you........
  • Options
    Bale scored against Spurs as was invevitable.

I watched Jade Dernbach live yesterday at the Oval.

Thank goodness for Fantasy Football to raise the spirits....

I'll repost those links for anyone still interested before Saturday morning's first game.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2015
    @Richard_Nabavi is right that Cameron will have to leave if there is a "No" vote, and so the value of the exit odds for 2016 and 2017 depend on the likely date of the referendum and the outcome thereof.

FPT @cyclefree on charities/companies
    As well as being a registered charity, Kids Company is a company limited by guarantee (no. 03442083 at Companies House). Where a charity has legal personality, the presumption is that any charitable gift is a gift to the company beneficially, rather than a public purpose trust. Should the company enter liquidation, its assets will go to its general creditors rather than being applied cy-près (Re Arms (Multiple Sclerosis Research) Ltd [1997] 1 WLR 877 (Neuberger J))...
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Plato said:

But he has some birth registration documents. She claims not to have anything at all.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I think Mr Nabavi has nailed it from a betting perspective. Cameron's resignation will follow the result of the EU referendum. Despite the rumours that vote will not happen in 2016, at least I should be amazed if he tried it on. Autumn 2017 looks much more likely, which leaves Cameron going immediately afterwards (in a sulk after an out vote) or in the very early months of 2018 (after a Stay In vote and him trying to influence who gets the top job).

My whiskey would be on Feb/March 2018. If anyone fancies a bottle of Islay ....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    It's either the summer of 2018 or 2019 IMO. Not sure which is more likely. 2019 doesn't give much time for his successor before the 2020 election, so maybe June/July 2018.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I agree with kle4, wait until the referendum date is set, he'll be gone soon after. Like other PMs he'll be obsessed with his legacy, if its a YES vote he'll drive off into the sunset waving at his adoring crowds. If its OUT he'll have no choice but to go, the alternative is to negotiate a position he campaigned against.

That to me is why predicting the referendum date is tricky, its tied it with Cameron's place in history.
  • Options
    Best of luck getting more than thruppence ha'penny on with Hills everyone ;)
  • Options

FPT @cyclefree on charities/companies
    As well as being a registered charity, Kids Company is a company limited by guarantee (no. 03442083 at Companies House).

Therefore the directors could be personally liable in the event of trading while insolvent.
  • Options

The timing is tricky for any member of the government to switch to full-throated campaigning for the Out side, in time to be seen as a leader of the campaign rather than a Johnny-come-lately convert to it. The reason why I singled out Owen Paterson in particular is that he's been doing some quite serious thinking about what Out would and should actually mean. Of course it could easily be someone else.

That, of course, assumes that backing "No" will necessarily be presented by its supporters as full-throated campaigning for an exit from the EU (which it will, of course, mean in practice). There is a strong probability that many of its more moderate advocates will argue a "No" vote is simply a rejection of the Cameron's faux renegotiation.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I agree with kle4, wait until the referendum date is set, he'll be gone soon after. Like other PMs he'll be obsessed with his legacy, if its a YES vote he'll drive off into the sunset waving at his adoring crowds. If its OUT he'll have no choice but to go, the alternative is to negotiate a position he campaigned against.

That to me is why predicting the referendum date is tricky, its tied it with Cameron's place in history.

Except people made similar predictions of the Scottish referendum: explaining why, in either outcome, Cameron would have to go.

• Options

That, of course, assumes that backing "No" will necessarily be presented by its supporters as full-throated campaigning for an exit from the EU (which it will, of course, mean in practice). There is a strong probability that many of its more moderate advocates will argue a "No" vote is simply a rejection of the Cameron's faux renegotiation.
    Perhaps - but I can see Richard Nabavi's point now he's explained it.

It's also quite hard to see, given the EU's history of 'neverendums', that a No vote could be taken as anything other than final, with exit to follow quite quickly. A 'Yes' vote could be considered by the losers as a temporary aberration that will be put right later - but defying the will of the people and trying to stay in? That would be dodgy.
  • Options

Except people made similar predictions of the Scottish referendum: explaining why, in either outcome, Cameron would have to go.

Really - why on earth would he have gone after effectively winning it? He was too busy running around telling everyone the Queen was drooling.

• Options
    It's refreshing to see the Canadian election being discussed in today's Guardian editorial. Usually foreign elections get ignored by the UK media.
  • Options

I thought - and more remarkably, was right - that either Salmond or Cameron would have to resign after the Scottish vote, depending on the result. But apart from a few diehards who never liked Cameron and who thought that he should never have granted the referendum anyway, I don't know of anyone who said Cameron would have to go if the unionists won. Who do you have in mind who said that?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Despite the rumours that vote will not happen in 2016, at least I should be amazed if he tried it on. Autumn 2017 looks much more likely

Autumn 2017 is quite problematic. Firstly it gets tied up with the German federal elections (as does spring 2017 with the French presidential elections). Secondly, the UK will hold the presidency of the EU Council from July to December 2017, which potentially means chairing our own initial exit negotiation meetings.

For those reasons I think 2016 is probably slightly more likely, although the counter argument that 2016 doesn't leave enough time for renegotiation is also strong.
  • Options

Really - why on earth would he have gone after effectively winning it? He was too busy running around telling everyone the Queen was drooling.

It was said - and people believed this at the time - that Cameron had given away too much with the "vow" and the English would be unhappy with this and it would mean he would have to resign even if he won.

Go back and read the threads from the time if you don't believe me.

• Options
    @Richard_Nabavi Thanks for your thoughts :) I've topped up 2017 @ 16s - William Hill 'trader' allowed me the full £20 I asked !
  • Options
    Thanks to Pulpstar for exploring a new market. I like the betting threads best - the betting gives focus to the political discussion.

So far as I can see, the current best price on Out winning the EU referendum is 7/2 with Ladbrokes. On that basis you could treat this market as a proxy for that one, whether or not you believe (as I do) that David Cameron would choose victory in an EU referendum as an appropriate time to ascend into the Primum Mobile.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Despite the rumours that vote will not happen in 2016, at least I should be amazed if he tried it on. Autumn 2017 looks much more likely

Autumn 2017 is quite problematic. Firstly it gets tied up with the German federal elections (as does spring 2017 with the French presidential elections). Secondly, the UK will hold the presidency of the EU Council from July to December 2017, which means chairing our own initial exit negotiation meetings.

For those reasons I think 2016 is probably more likely, although the counter argument that 2016 doesn't leave enough time for renegotiation is also strong.
    I don't mind what year we do it, as long as there is a suitable period of time for debate between the new deal being made public and the referendum being held. If there is a mad dash to the polls it would be very inappropriate for such an important question, which needs a lengthy public debate.

We also still need to restore purdah so this is a free and fair elections.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    10/1 about a 2018 departure looks like a very generous price to me.

IF Dave does stick to his promise to not seek a third term, I can't see him hanging on until 2020. The whole thing would become very messy as they seek to elect and install a new leader and PM in the immediate few months before an election.

Next latest option would be to have a contest in Summer 2019 with the reigns being handed over at the Conference in the Autumn. Quite possible, but doesn't give the new PM much time to do very much before we're into campaign mode.

Autumn 2018 looks the best bet in terms of timing between a referendum and the election.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited August 2015
    [Deleted]
  • Options

Autumn 2017 is quite problematic. Firstly it gets tied up with the German federal elections (as does spring 2017 with the French presidential elections). Secondly, the UK will hold the presidency of the EU Council from July to December 2017, which potentially means chairing our own initial exit negotiation meetings.

For those reasons I think 2016 is probably more likely, although the counter argument that 2016 doesn't leave enough time for renegotiation is also strong.

I agree 2016 is more likely, but your second reason why Autumn 2017 is problematic doesn't hold.

Once a country has notified the European Council of its intention to withdraw, the withdrawal agreement is negotiated between the departing state and the Council of Ministers. The Commission submits recommendations to the Council, which then nominates the head of Union's negotiating team. The final agreement requires the consent of the European Parliament, the leaving member state, and a qualified majority of the Council of Ministers. The UK is disqualified in matters concerning its exit from both the European Council and the Council of Ministers (see article 50 TEU and article 218(3) of TFEU).
  • Options
    Interesting this makes him leaving before a 3rd term - or being beaten in 2020 - just worse than evens.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    shadsy said:

10/1 about a 2018 departure looks like a very generous price to me.

IF Dave does stick to his promise to not seek a third term, I can't see him hanging on until 2020. The whole thing would become very messy as they seek to elect and install a new leader and PM in the immediate few months before an election.

Next latest option would be to have a contest in Summer 2019 with the reigns being handed over at the Conference in the Autumn. Quite possible, but doesn't give the new PM much time to do very much before we're into campaign mode.

Autumn 2018 looks the best bet in terms of timing between a referendum and the election.

I'm with shadsy. The 7/2 for 2019 is nice too.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Its a referendum on a government policy - or proposal - not an election. A defeat on a referendum is not the same as a defeat on a vote of confidence either so any defeat on the EU referendum is not necessarily a driver for Cameron leaving. The tories got 37% in an election - the referendum 'YES' could gain 49% and still lose.
    An OUT vote would of course open up a whole can of worms about what to do next unless the alternative was framed in the referendum. The best way to get a NO is to link it to joining the EEA. In the end I don't think the renegotiated terms and joining the EEA will be much different.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited August 2015

There is a strong probability that many of its more moderate advocates will argue a "No" vote is simply a rejection of the Cameron's faux renegotiation.

I am coming to think that that will be my position, Mr Town.

Early days yet, as nobody has any idea of what Mr Cameron is trying to do (except paper over the cracks in the Tory Party).
  • Options

It was said - and people believed this at the time - that Cameron had given away too much with the "vow" and the English would be unhappy with this and it would mean he would have to resign even if he won.

Its not that I don't believe you, I'm surprised that people thought that Cameron would resign after "winning" a referendum not long before the general election.

• Options

Once a country has notified the European Council of its intention to withdraw, the withdrawal agreement is negotiated between the departing state and the Council of Ministers. The Commission submits recommendations to the Council, which then nominates the head of Union's negotiating team. The final agreement requires the consent of the European Parliament, the leaving member state, and a qualified majority of the Council of Ministers. The UK is disqualified in matters concerning its exit from both the European Council and the Council of Ministers (see article 50 TEU and article 218(3) of TFEU).

Firstly, there is the question of the negotiations before the referendum: we'd be in an invidious position because the presidency organises and chairs meetings of the Council. That would clearly be problematic. Secondly there is the question of potential negotiations after an exit vote: it would be odd indeed for the Council, which nominates the head of the Union's negotiating team, to be chaired by the exiting member. I don't know if there's any provision for changing the rotating presidency schedule, but this difficulty was raised by a senior member of the German government.
  • Options

Its not that I don't believe you, I'm surprised that people thought that Cameron would resign after "winning" a referendum not long before the general election.

It was a strong meme on here (I forget who); after the vow and before the results were known.

Anyway why should Cameron leave after winning the EU referendum - there's even less reason than after the indyref?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    If you ignore 2015 and back the field:

2016 @ 15
    2017 @ 17
    2018 @ 11
    2019 @ 4.5
    2020 @ 8
    2021 or later @ 11

can't you produce a 50% return in the next 5 years?

Edit: I see this is largely the produce of SkyBet offering 9 for 2020 (PM) and William Hill 1.62... (Leader) ! Am I missing something?
  • Options

If you ignore 2015 and back the field:

2016 @ 15
    2017 @ 17
    2018 @ 11
    2019 @ 4.5
    2020 @ 8
    2021 or later @ 11

can't you produce a 50% return in the next 5 years?

Yes.

If you are unrestricted with Hills and SkyBet... this is a goldmine.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Its a referendum on a government policy - or proposal - not an election. A defeat on a referendum is not the same as a defeat on a vote of confidence either so any defeat on the EU referendum is not necessarily a driver for Cameron leaving. The tories got 37% in an election - the referendum 'YES' could gain 49% and still lose.
    An OUT vote would of course open up a whole can of worms about what to do next unless the alternative was framed in the referendum. The best way to get a NO is to link it to joining the EEA. In the end I don't think the renegotiated terms and joining the EEA will be much different.

If No wins, then almost certainly most Conservative voters will have voted No, which would probably make David Cameron's position untenable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

It was a strong meme on here (I forget who); after the vow and before the results were known.

Anyway why should Cameron leave after winning the EU referendum - there's even less reason than after the indyref?

More reason, I think. Winning the indyref in a way that caused national problems is managable, so long as his own party is not too riven with splits over it (I never even considered he would resign having won that one) - but on the EU there is a good chance the Tories will have some pretty nasty infighting, and even though he would have emerged triumphant, knowing he was intending to stand down anyway by 2020, it might be argued better it be then, to allow a new leader to take the party onward into a new phase after that difficult time. It would also be as clear an end point to his legacy as he could hope for - kept the UK together, kept the UK in the EU, job done.
  • Options

For the reason I pointed out, very few political careers end in success, if he gets the YES vote he can raise a glass and go, congratulating himself on the way. Never underestimate the ego of a politician.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    This must have been a difficult article for many Labour supporters to read:

"Anti-austerity unpopular with voters, finds inquiry into Labour's election loss
    Independent review shows abiding concern over economic deficit, and may fuel doubt about policies of Labour leadership frontrunner Jeremy Corbyn"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/04/anti-austerity-voters-poll-jeremy-corbyn-labour
  • Options

The problem for "No" of advocating EEA membership is that the EEA agreement will cease to apply to the UK de jure the moment of the Treaty of Rome does. The only way to get back into the EEA would be to accede to EFTA, and thence to the EEA. "Yes" will always be able to say that there is no guarantee of continuing to be a member of the EEA, since 31 states will have a veto on us rejoining (Switzerland and all the current member states).

Certainly, EEA membership has much in common with EU membership. The four fundamental freedoms are kept, including freedom of movement of labour. For that reason alone, "No" would be foolish to campaign for it. The common policy on competition and state aids and some of the internal market acquis would remain. That said, in the EEA we would have a veto on the adoption of new secondary legislation, would be outside the supervisory remit of the Commission and the Court of Justice. Nor is there any concept of the supremacy or direct effect of the EEA agreement. Nor do the EEA institutions have legislative powers. CAP and the CFP do not apply.

More importantly still, however, none of the main political political union provisions apply in the EEA (common citizenship, CFSP, the Charter of Fundamental Rights, AFSJ etc.). Since Cameron's renegotiation is not going to achieve anything substantial, it is idle to pretend renegotiated terms would be similar to the EEA. They would be miles apart.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @TheWhiteRabbit Edit: I see this is largely the produce of SkyBet offering 9 for 2020 (PM) and William Hill 1.62... (Leader) ! Am I missing something?

You lose if Dave ceases to be PM from 2016-2018, but remains as Tory leader once he is no longer PM. Given we are in a majority Government situation it is tough to see how this comes about.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@TheWhiteRabbit Edit: I see this is largely the produce of SkyBet offering 9 for 2020 (PM) and William Hill 1.62... (Leader) ! Am I missing something?

You lose if Dave ceases to be PM from 2016-2018, but remains as Tory leader once he is no longer PM. Given we are in a majority Government situation it is tough to see how this comes about.

Yeah I was pondering that sort of thing.

I wacked my £66 on (well... one part will have to wait until tomorrow, for daily deposit reasons). Will return £100 at some point in the next 5 years...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If No wins, then almost certainly most Conservative voters will have voted No, which would probably make David Cameron's position untenable.
    I think if you lose a referendum, the winning of which is a key plank of your government's policy, that in itself is a fairly clear vote of no confidence. As we saw with Salmond, it's enough.

It would also probably require most activists to have voted no, which would certainly cause ructions in the PCP. So I agree with you that Cameron would have to go.

He may do even if he wins, feeling that it's a good moment to go, or even simply being tired after 7-8 years as PM and a gruelling campaign. But he wouldn't necessarily have to.
  • Options
    "Labour pollsters advised party to change on immigration and welfare in 2010
    Leadership was told by its pollsters and focus groups that is was regarded as being on the side of the workshy and undeserving, leaked memo shows"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/05/labour-pollsters-advised-party-to-change-on-immigration-and-welfare-in-2010
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I wacked my £66 on (well... one part will have to wait until tomorrow, for daily deposit reasons). Will return £100 at some point in the next 5 years...
    Lol I doubt these prices will last until tommorow ;p
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993

FPT

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Which Tories were these Malc? The ones in opposition in Edinburgh, or the ones in opposition in Westminster?
    1 Tory MP
    1 Tory MEP
    15 Tory MSPs
    115 Tory councillors
    You prove my point , a handful of numpties on the council out of thousands and thousands, some "consolation for losers" MSP's list seats and 1 and 1 at the troughs. Poor fare.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want Cameron to stand down if No wins. It was in manifesto that he'd campaign for In, but its the will of the people that decides overall, so its not a No Confidence style vote in my mind.

So, I disagree with some on here.
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

I think if you lose a referendum, the winning of which is a key plank of your government's policy, that in itself is a fairly clear vote of no confidence. As we saw with Salmond, it's enough.

It would also probably require most activists to have voted no, which would certainly cause ructions in the PCP. So I agree with you that Cameron would have to go.

He may do even if he wins, feeling that it's a good moment to go, or even simply being tired after 7-8 years as PM and a gruelling campaign. But he wouldn't necessarily have to.
  • Options

More importantly still, however, none of the main political political union provisions apply in the EEA (common citizenship, CFSP, the Charter of Fundamental Rights, AFSJ etc.). Since Cameron's renegotiation is not going to achieve anything substantial, it is idle to pretend renegotiated terms would be similar to the EEA. They would be miles apart.

They'd be similar - indeed identical - in terms of the issues which are of most concern to those who want us to leave the EU. For that reason I agree with you that it would foolish for the 'No' side to campaign on it.

The problem is, though, that they haven't got anything else that they can agree to campaign on. As I've said many times, I think they've already left it too late to formulate a coherent alternative.

[As an aside, I'm not sure that the EEA route would even work. We're be so much the dominant non-EU member, and our financial services sector so overwhelming, that I can't see an off-the-peg EEA solution being practical. We'd need our own specifically-negotiated package, I think. Of course the EEA deal could be a possible starting point for that.]
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    First price casualty is SkyBet 2019 in to 10-3 from 7-2.

Still a huge rick.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Lol I doubt these prices will last until tommorow ;p
    Oh, apparently Daily Deposit Limits are easy to change. I was expecting to have to call or something.
  • Options

Firstly, there is the question of the negotiations before the referendum: we'd be in an invidious position because the presidency organises and chairs meetings of the Council. That would clearly be problematic. Secondly there is the question of potential negotiations after an exit vote: it would be odd indeed for the Council, which nominates the head of the Union's negotiating team, to be chaired by the exiting member. I don't know if there's any provision for changing the rotating presidency schedule, but this difficulty was raised by a senior member of the German government.

If the negotiations before the referendum are to achieve anything (of which I am very sceptical), they will be at the level of the European Council, which is organised and chaired by Mr Tusk, since that body, not the Council of Ministers, can amend the Treaties (see article 48 TEU).

After an exit vote, the UK is disqualified by article 50(4) TEU from participating in negotiations with itself over its exit terms, choosing the lead negotiator etc. True, as it stands, the Presidency of the Council would be held by us on a rotating basis under article 16(9) TEU. However, article 236 TFEU allows the European Council to adopt a decision by QMV on the configurations of the Presidency of the Council. The current configuration is determined by Council Decision 2007/5/EC. There is no reason why this configuration could not be changed by a new decision of the European Council.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SNP supporters talk about Nicola Sturgeon and her party in devotional tones while denouncing the opposition as heretics. A majority of Nationalists say they take criticism of the SNP as a personal insult; no wonder they banish all unhelpful news and comment with the warding charm “SNP bad”.
    Surely we wouldn't find any zoomers mindlessly posting that here, like brain-washed cult members, would we?

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/analysis/1325944-stephen-daisley-on-labour-the-snp-and-jeremy-corbyn-for-leader/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

1 Tory MP
    1 Tory MEP
    15 Tory MSPs
    115 Tory councillors
    You prove my point , a handful of numpties on the council out of thousands and thousands, some "consolation for losers" MSP's list seats and 1 and 1 at the troughs. Poor fare.
    But not quite "Tory-free" ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SNP supporters talk about Nicola Sturgeon and her party in devotional tones while denouncing the opposition as heretics. A majority of Nationalists say they take criticism of the SNP as a personal insult; no wonder they banish all unhelpful news and comment with the warding charm “SNP bad”.
    Surely we wouldn't find any zoomers mindlessly posting that here, like brain-washed cult members, would we?

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/analysis/1325944-stephen-daisley-on-labour-the-snp-and-jeremy-corbyn-for-leader/

I just read above post from one , a closet SNP'r mind you.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

1 Tory MP
    1 Tory MEP
    15 Tory MSPs
    115 Tory councillors
    Almost as close to extinction as you can get though, totally irrelevant to anything in Scotland.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

Almost as close to extinction as you can get though, totally irrelevant to anything in Scotland.

The Scottish Tories have a member of the Government, and the SNP have none...

The futile56 are the irrelevant ones
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    While we are talking betting I've had a nice email from paddy power letting me know that my account that was closed in 2011 has £181.36 in it and asking if I wanted it!
  • Options
    isam said:

While we are talking betting I've had a nice email from paddy power letting me know that my account that was closed in 2011 has £181.36 in it and asking if I wanted it!

You could always lend it to Kids Company.
  • Options
    isam said:

They've been earning your interest @isam !

Ask for £200 !
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AndyJS said:

Leadership was told by its pollsters and focus groups that is was regarded as being on the side of the workshy and undeserving, leaked memo shows"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/05/labour-pollsters-advised-party-to-change-on-immigration-and-welfare-in-2010

And then they spent the next 5 years endlessly trying to pander on those issues: the headline manifesto pledge was "balancing the books", there was the infamous "controls on immigration" mug, and Rachel Reeves said Labour would be "tougher than the Tories on welfare".

The end result was a Tory majority, despite Miliband constantly trying what these pollsters told him were the "centrist" positions.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2015

The problem is, though, that they haven't got anything else that they can agree to campaign on. As I've said many times, I think they've already left it too late to formulate a coherent alternative.

[As an aside, I'm not sure that the EEA route would even work. We're be so much the dominant non-EU member, and our financial services sector so overwhelming, that I can't see an off-the-peg EEA solution being practical. We'd need our own specifically-negotiated package, I think. Of course the EEA deal could be a possible starting point for that.]

I agree the EEA is difficult, if not impossible. How would the EFTA surveillance authority and EFTA court, which we would presumably have to join, cope with a new member larger than their existing membership combined?

"No" should campaign on the basis a vote for it is simply to reject Cameron's renegotation. Article 50 TEU allows a withdrawal agreement to be negotiated in two years which prima facie would bind the whole EU, which does not require ratification by the member states, and is agreed by QMV with the Parliament's consent. Admittedly this would involve the risk of leaving in two years with nothing agreed, but it is manifestly easier to get a workable agreement in the necessary time than by joining EFTA and then the EEA or renegotiating our membership from within (both of which require unanimity and ratification). If the UK does not want to be in either the EU or the EEA, but wants something more than the WTO rules, then it has to reach some sort of bespoke agreement with the EU. Article 50 offers the best means of getting it and getting it quickly.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

And then they spent the next 5 years endlessly trying to pander on those issues: the headline manifesto pledge was "balancing the books", there was the infamous "controls on immigration" mug, and Rachel Reeves said Labour would be "tougher than the Tories on welfare".

The end result was a Tory majority, despite Miliband constantly trying what these pollsters told him were the "centrist" positions.
    Really? Almost everyone I spoke to mentioned the fact that the Tories were harder on these issues than Labour.

In fact I seem to remember Labour complaining about how heartless the Tories were for the whole 5 years on welfare and immigration.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Indeed so - voters weren't fooled by this pandering, which was so obviously insincere, driven only by focus-groups, and not intended as serious policy-making or a serious change of direction. In any case there were contradictory signals as well. The end result was just confusion as to where Labour stood.
  • Options
    Despite being best price 6/4 about Burnham (inc Betfair) for the last day or two, Ladbrokes have hardly taken a penny on him. Cooper much more popular.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    isam said:

That's 60 Labour leader votes right there.....
  • Options
    shadsy said:

Despite being best price 6/4 about Burnham (inc Betfair) for the last day or two, Ladbrokes have hardly taken a penny on him. Cooper much more popular.

Who's your best result out of the three frontrunners?
  • Options

"No" should campaign on the basis a vote for it is simply to reject Cameron's renegotation. Article 50 TEU allows a withdrawal agreement to be negotiated in two years which prima facie would bind the whole EU, which does not require ratification by the member states, and is agreed by QMV with the Parliament's consent. Admittedly this would involve the risk of leaving in two years with nothing agreed, but it is manifestly easier to get a workable agreement in the necessary time than by joining EFTA and then the EEA or renegotiating our membership from within (both of which require unanimity and ratification). If the UK does not want to be in either the EU or the EEA, but wants something more than the WTO rules, then it has to reach some sort of bespoke agreement with the EU. Article 50 offers the best means of getting it and getting it quickly.

Interesting point. However, from a political perspective in the lead-up to the referendum, that would be quite a tricky message, as it would leave the Out side very vulnerable to the 'leap in the dark' argument, which will be very potent. Admittedly they face that problem to some extent whatever approach is taken.

Given the dearth of leadership on the Out side, I strongly expect that the campaign will be chaotic and inconsistent, and the In side will ruthlessly, and successfully, exploit this.
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price I'm guessing it ain't Jeremy judging by his prices ;)
  • Options

Interesting point. However, from a political perspective in the lead-up to the referendum, that would be quite a tricky message, as it would leave the Out side very vulnerable to the 'leap in the dark' argument, which will be very potent. Admittedly they face that problem to some extent whatever approach is taken.

Given the dearth of leadership on the Out side, I strongly expect that the campaign will be chaotic and inconsistent, and the In side will ruthlessly, and successfully, exploit this.
    There has been some suggestion that the Out side should explicitly pitch a second referendum. i.e. vote Out, we'll go away and negotiate the exit terms, then we'll put exit on these terms to the people.

Which would seem to be a very smart strategy - making In the irrevocable choice.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

1 Tory MP
    1 Tory MEP
    15 Tory MSPs
    115 Tory councillors
    Except the ability to authorise another referendum.

Heh!
  • Options

shadsy said:

Cooper: very good
    Burnham: fairly good
    Corbyn: moderately bad

I for one salute Labour's decision to make the process as drawn out as possible. We've already taken a lot more money on this than we did on the whole of the last Labour race.
  • Options
    The BBC has announced a boycott of Rangers matches and press conferences after one of its reporters was told to stay away from Ibrox.

In the latest example of a football club imposing petty bans on the media, the Scottish Championship outfit banned Chris McLaughlin along with Times and former Herald columnist Graham Spiers last week.

They have apparently been barred for leading their match reports of Rangers' 6-2 Challenge Cup win over Hibernian with mentions of arrests for sectarian singing. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3186022/BBC-boycotts-Rangers-matches-football-club-bans-reporter-Times-columnist-negative-stories.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
  • Options
    shadsy said:

shadsy said:

Cooper: very good
    Burnham: fairly good
    Corbyn: moderately bad

I for one salute Labour's decision to make the process as drawn out as possible. We've already taken a lot more money on this than we did on the whole of the last Labour race.
    Not to mention the likelihood of another contest before 2020 :-)
  • Options

There has been some suggestion that the Out side should explicitly pitch a second referendum. i.e. vote Out, we'll go away and negotiate the exit terms, then we'll put exit on these terms to the people.

Which would seem to be a very smart strategy - making In the irrevocable choice.

I don't see it. Either the UK invokes the formal exit procedures, or it doesn't. If it does, that is effectively irrevocable. If it doesn't, our EU friends will just say 'come back when you've decided if you want to leave or not, we're not going to waste a huge amount of time on a speculative negotiation'.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

I see that as a strength, Mr Navabi. The question is whether we are in favour or not of remaining in the EU - presumably on the terms that M Cameron has managed to come up with.

For me the answer is almost certainly not. So I ought to vote NO. This does not mean that I favoour of what Mr Farage would llike to see. That is not being debated.

In short, a very stupid question. And I am surprised that Mr Cameron and his highly paid team of SPADS did not recognise that long ago.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Plato said:

The BBC has announced a boycott of Rangers matches and press conferences after one of its reporters was told to stay away from Ibrox.

In the latest example of a football club imposing petty bans on the media, the Scottish Championship outfit banned Chris McLaughlin along with Times and former Herald columnist Graham Spiers last week.

They have apparently been barred for leading their match reports of Rangers' 6-2 Challenge Cup win over Hibernian with mentions of arrests for sectarian singing. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3186022/BBC-boycotts-Rangers-matches-football-club-bans-reporter-Times-columnist-negative-stories.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
    you are/were a PR professional, Plato? who's winning here? certainly seems odd to ban the bbc reporter - it's not as if anybody would be surprised? tho resumably the bbc has a duty to provide for sectarian numpties too...
  • Options
    PClipp said:

There is a strong probability that many of its more moderate advocates will argue a "No" vote is simply a rejection of the Cameron's faux renegotiation.

I am coming to think that that will be my position, Mr Town.

Early days yet, as nobody has any idea of what Mr Cameron is trying to do (except paper over the cracks in the Tory Party).
    At least he has a Parliamentary party...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    PClipp said:

I see that as a strength, Mr Navabi. The question is whether we are in favour or not of remaining in the EU - presumably on the terms that M Cameron has managed to come up with.

For me the answer is almost certainly not. So I ought to vote NO. This does not mean that I favoour of what Mr Farage would llike to see. That is not being debated.

In short, a very stupid question. And I am surprised that Mr Cameron and his highly paid team of SPADS did not recognise that long ago.

It's not a stupid question at all, it's a straightforward one. The onus is on those who advocate NO to make the case for the alternative. Life is always about choices, not absolutes. Leaving the EU is not some abstraction, it's a choice of something else in preference to the status quo. The Out side seem remarkably incurious about what that other thing should and could be, and this failure will be fatal to their side of the argument.
  • Options
    shadsy said:

Do you have any theories as to why Burnham is so short on Betfair? We're all scratching our heads from what I can tell!

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited August 2015

PClipp said:

It's not a stupid question at all, it's a straightforward one. The onus is on those who advocate NO to make the case for the alternative. Life is always about choices, not absolutes. Leaving the EU is not some abstraction, it's a choice of something else in preference to the status quo. The Out side seem remarkably incurious about what that other thing should and could be, and this failure will be fatal to their side of the argument.
    For me it's straightforward. The status quo is unsatisfactory. If Cameron can't make it satisfactory (and I doubt that he will) then I'll vote No. One can always agonise about alternative, but one would never take a decision of any consequence if that was the case. Vote No, and there is at least the chance of improving our situation. Vote Yes, and there is the certainty that we won't.
  • Options

shadsy said:

Do you have any theories as to why Burnham is so short on Betfair? We're all scratching our heads from what I can tell!

Not really. I suppose it could be a deliberate effort by someone to make it look like his position is stronger than it is. But I don't really see how that achieves very much, so I doubt it.

I expect there are just one or two people with a few quid who really don't fancy Corbyn skewing the market a bit.
  • Options

shadsy said:

What I can't work out is why on earth he went back in again to sub 6-4 after drifting to over 2-1.

There's been no new data, only a panicky looking polling announcement on the railways which looks like it could well be the result of piss poor private polling.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

shadsy said:

I just think punters are plain wrong on this occasion. It's going to be either Corbyn or Cooper IMO. Burnham is slipping through the middle at the moment.