Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Temperate Desert

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Temperate Desert

The centre ground of politics used to be very crowded.  And with good reason.  Roughly half the electorate sit in the middle stratum of electoral geology.  In a YouGov poll taken just after the election, 13% described themselves as slightly left of centre, 19% described themselves as centre, 14% described themselves as slightly right of centre and a further 23% didn’t know where to place th…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    FPT:

Nice to see you making excuses for people trying to enter the country illegally.

BTW English is an official language across the European Union.

WTF?

Why are people so desperate to get to Britain:

1. There is a vibrant job market in the UK, and as the immigrant is more likely to speak English than French or Finnish or Italian or German or Swedish or Norwegian or Danish or Dutch, they are more likely to get a job in the UK that in those other places.

2. We have a reputation for being more welcoming, in terms of benefits, housing, etc., than some other places in Europe.

3. We don't have ID cards, so if you're in the UK, it's easy to get a job, and relatively hard for someone to identify you as a non-British citizen.

(As an aside, one of the reason that Schengen works so well, is that everyone in Europe carries an ID card all the time. Therefore there may be no passport checks, but a policeman or employer,etc can see who you are and where you live without difficulty.)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Interesting that UKIP are perceived as a far-right political party. Their policies are much less right-wing than that of the far right. Maybe it is because the left have tried so hard to tar them with that brush.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,256
    3rd - like Burnham
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    4th - Like Liz.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    That said, winning over these voters is not as simple as just plonking yourself as closely as possible to them. At the last election the Conservatives gathered a greater share of the vote than it had managed since 1992, yet they were the furthest distant from the average member of the public of Labour, the Lib Dems and themselves. The voters take many things into account other than how much they identify with policy.

Indeed - policy may inform the mood music, but does not set it completely, and it's that mood music that seems to get through to people, that is, X may be a bit right wing, but they're more competent.

I feel sorry for the LDs - sticking to the centre just doesn't work, but being Labour-lite will only limit their options in the future (although since that is dependent upon actually recovering, worth it for now).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    weejonnie said:

Interesting that UKIP are perceived as a far-right political party. Their policies are much less right-wing than that of the far right. Maybe it is because the left have tried so hard to tar them with that brush.

The left-right spectrum is such a stupid way of judging political orientation.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    The left/right division is redundant. It's a French construct that was never really applicable to Anglo-Saxon societies.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    FTP:
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

I'm laughing at that 51% undecided!

"So, you're planning to vote Corbyn? Any chance you might change your mind?" "About 0.001%" "So, I'll put you down as undecided."
    LOL I wouldn't even be surprised if that was a real life scenario.
    "So you're planning to vote for Corbyn/Burnham? Are you sexist or something?"

"Well, perhaps I'll change my mind"

"So, I'll put you down as undecided, then."
    :)

I can imagine them saying ''come on, help Yvette crack through that glass ceiling, and be Labour's first female leader.''

In fairness Burnham-Watson is a god-awful duo. Even Cooper-Watson is better than that.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Nice to see you making excuses for people trying to enter the country illegally.

WTF?

1. There is a vibrant job market in the UK, and as the immigrant is more likely to speak English than French or Finnish or Italian or German or Swedish or Norwegian or Danish or Dutch, they are more likely to get a job in the UK that in those other places.

2. We have a reputation for being more welcoming, in terms of benefits, housing, etc., than some other places in Europe.

3. We don't have ID cards, so if you're in the UK, it's easy to get a job, and relatively hard for someone to identify you as a non-British citizen.

(As an aside, one of the reason that Schengen works so well, is that everyone in Europe carries an ID card all the time. Therefore there may be no passport checks, but a policeman or employer,etc can see who you are and where you live without difficulty.)
    And legal immigrants should be welcomed (Within reason). The ones at Calais are not foxinsox's Greek potential hirees to the NHS.

I have a Malaysian friend who can't make the salary needed to enter the country. Why the hell should some chancer in a lorry get to come and live here when he's obeying the rules and may try and go through the legal process ?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Where's the Monster Raving Loony party on that graph?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Where to even begin with this.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

WTF?

That may all be true and we could (in my view should) do something about 2.

But the issue is that just because someone wants to come here doesn't mean that we should be obliged to let them in. We should only allow in those migrants that we want i.e. those who have something useful to contribute to this country, will integrate well and not be a nuisance or a burden. And, above all, we should allow in only those numbers and types that those of us who are here agree to i.e. any migration into the UK should be done openly and with our informed consent.

Personally, I don't want a lot of aggressive young men from God-awful war-torn hell-holes, no matter how much money they've paid or ingenuity shown in travelling here.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Off topic. I've posted a number of times over the last few months about Hillary and the Dem nomination race, but less about the GOP race. This is because my position is that the race is not yet in an interesting stage and I don't have anything new to say. In the end, there will be 1-3 serious candidates left in the race and they will be drawn from Walker, Rubio, Bush and Kasich. Until we get into the first primaries and caucuses, I don't expect the field to whittle down any, so the situation won't clear up much to enable me to make any useful analysis beyond the above.

This view is very nicely explained in far greater detail by Nate Silver at 538 in a very interesting analysis. It is well worth a read for anyone planning to bet on the GOP nomination:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/donald-trump-is-the-nickelback-of-gop-candidates/?ex_cid=story-twitter
  • Options
    Corbyn is now the best-priced favourite at 13/8 to win the Labour Leadership contest.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    weejonnie said:

Whilst UKIP may be on the far right hand side of that image that does not make them a far right party. They are barely more right wing than the Tories.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Good article. But the political system is in stasis until Scotland and Europe are sorted out; I think 2015 can fairly be characterised as a pausing vote to keep everything as it was before these genies emerged from their glass vessels, by keeping Scots and UK Nats out.

There aren't many plausible targets for the Lib Dems in 2020. But Colchester and Gower weren't plausible targets for the Conservatives in 2015. UNS doesn't S U across the N. In particular, Lib Dem marginals aren't like Conservative/Labour marginals full of car-commuter middle-class middle-income middle-aspiration towns. If you had to characterise them, they are well-off picturesque towns and far-away peripheral areas where people have to be clever and happen to be a bit bolshie. And I especially wouldn't be concerned about offering a constructive alternative government when the current government has 58 months of its mandate remaining.

Many of the respondents who used to support a more centrist Labour party are likely centre-right people, who'll never vote Labour but who would like Labour to be more like the Conservatives, for the same reason centre-left people would like Conservatives to be more like Labour. The converse is true, to a much smaller scale, for the tiny, devoted true left who'll never consider Labour. But the ratio of these two groups is like 25:1 toward committed Conservative voters.

All the parties just need to avoid, while voter definitions about this parliament are being formed, a disaster like Tuition Fees that characterises your party as weak and treacherous - Labour has already had an effing disaster on Welfare Cuts.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

It's the modern day political equivalent of feeling bumps. Just stupendously redundant.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    kle4 said:

That said, winning over these voters is not as simple as just plonking yourself as closely as possible to them. At the last election the Conservatives gathered a greater share of the vote than it had managed since 1992, yet they were the furthest distant from the average member of the public of Labour, the Lib Dems and themselves. The voters take many things into account other than how much they identify with policy.

Indeed - policy may inform the mood music, but does not set it completely, and it's that mood music that seems to get through to people, that is, X may be a bit right wing, but they're more competent.

I feel sorry for the LDs - sticking to the centre just doesn't work, but being Labour-lite will only limit their options in the future (although since that is dependent upon actually recovering, worth it for now).

Really, it's not coming across as too extreme, and coming across as competent that won the Tories 2015. Although, I have to say they came across as far more moderate between 2010-15, and during the GE than they do now.

I don't understand why the LDs under the Orange-Brooker generation became so obsessed with the centre-ground. The likes of Richard Reeves, who pushed this agenda were stupid. The Conservatives and Labour can afford to bid for the centre-ground because they have a strong 25% - 30% base who will always vote for them. On top of that, they are bidding for floating voters in marginals in order to get an overall majority. The LDs at this time were fighting for very existence, let alone getting into government with a base signifcantly smaller than the big two. I thought the LDs had a 15% base, so their single digit 8% base is even smaller than I think many anticipated. The LDs had their most success when they tacked left (taking advantage of vacuum left by New Labour) and when there was no competition for the protest vote.

Now, there is far more competition - UKIP got 4 million votes in the 2015 GE, and the Greens got 1m. Really the LDs can't afford to tack too to the left if Corbyn gets in - they''ll have to pose as a moderate centre-left alternative. But the LDs biggest problem was that there bid to centre reinforced their identity problem. Many don't really know what the LDs are for, nor do they trust in their competence despite their stint in government.

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    I seems to me that following the punishment of the Liberals for daring to join a government, the rise of pure futile oppositionism of Corbyn and Labour's growing hatred of Blairism, that we are back to the "Court v. Country" polarity of the 17th and 18th centuries.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

The Roundhead / Cavalier distinction is quite a useful one for Britain I find. A lot of the vinegary, priggish, bossy types are simply this century's Puritans: zealous in their determination tto find someone somwhere enjoying themselves and putting a stop to it, using as their justification not God but "health" or "children". Whatever the justification, they think that they know better than others how people should live their lives.

Even people who claim to be liberal show Puritan tendencies.

They seek power so as to - as Mr Brind put it the other day - "control people's lives".

They are an almighty nuisance.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Wrong on this one, I think, Mr Antifrank. A the last election, the Conservatives had been decontaminated by their association with the Lib Dems in the Coalition Government. Many people thought - wrongly, of course - that it was safe to vote Conservative, because they would continue to be as they had been in coalition.

Contrariwise, the Lib Dems were contaminated by the toxicity of the Tories. And people are coming to see just how much control the Lib Dems had over the more outrageous Tory positions during the last government. Almost on a daily basis, we see comments in the Guardian, the Independent, the New Statesman, all recognising the moderating influence the Lib Dems had in the last Government. The great pity is that they, and the general public too, were not disposed to recognise this until now, when of course it is too late.

Except that it is not too late - not for the next round. Even during the election campaign, there was a high level of goodwill on display towards the Lib Dems. On the day, people were pressurised by the perception that the result was going to be very close (Lord A and others did a good job for the Tories on that one!); and by the fear of a Milliband government controlled totally by Ms Sturgeon.

But now that the electoral temperature has gone down a bit, people realise what they have lost and the goodwill towards the Lib Dems is taking shape and form again, as can be seen in recent local government byelections. There is movement. And the quick, efficient and largely trouble-free internal election of the new Lib Dem leader comes in striking contrast to the prolonged fratricidal vituperation in the ranks of the Labour Party.

Lib Dems are on the up again, Mr Antifrank.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    On topic. If the results of this poll were true, all other factors being equal, and using the "icecream vendor on a beach" analysis, the Lib Dems should easily be the biggest party with (eyeballing it) somewhere between 40% and 50% of the vote. Clearly either the results are wrong, or the question asked is of limited relevance to electoral outcome.

* my comment relates to the graph, not Antifrank's article
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited July 2015
    Donald Trump is beating Jeb Bush 26% to 20% in his own state of Florida according to polling conducted by St. Pete Polls.

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/236488
  • Options
    MTimT said:

On topic. If the results of this poll were true, all other factors being equal, and using the "icecream vendor on a beach" analysis, the Lib Dems should easily be the biggest party with (eyeballing it) somewhere between 40% and 50% of the vote. Clearly either the results are wrong, or the question asked is of limited relevance to electoral outcome.

LDs aren't trusted, nor are they seen as competent. That's their issue. It's Labour's issue too.

The LDs also don't appear to strike a hard-line on immigration and welfare that resonates with the electorate.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    This graph shows the fallacy of being centrist if you lose your base, the LDs were seen in 2015 as the most centrist party but suffered their worst result in decades. As John Howard said you consolidate your base first and then reach out to the centre, that strategy helped him win 4 consecutive victories until he finally lost the centre in 2007
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Great and surprising days cricket...

Now how to cap it off whilst doing admin?

I think you know where I'm off to on tinternet...

clue - there was a pleasant surprise for another lot of proud hearted patriots that day too....
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Corbyn is now the best-priced favourite at 13/8 to win the Labour Leadership contest.

So I don't need to give Labour £6 then. Even better.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Donald Trump is beating Jeb Bush 26% to 20% in his own state of Florida according to polling conducted by St. Pete Polls.

But see my earlier post about Nate Silver's article. What is more, a lot of the polls being conducted on the GOP nomination race are of all voters, not GOP voters, and they are not at all weighted for likelihood to turn up to a caucus or vote in a primary. Particularly in the GOP nomination race with so many candidates, I'd treat headline first preference numbers with a huge amount of skepticism at this stage.
  • Options
    If Donald Trump takes the White House, Sarah Palin might have an invitation to join his team.

The real estate mogul went on “The Palin Update” Monday — a radio show airing on Mama Grizzly Radio, a station that OFFERS 24-hour news about Palin and issues related to her — telling host Kevin Scholla that he would consider having the former Alaska governor in an official capacity in a Trump administration.

“I’d love that,” said Trump. “Because she really is somebody who knows what’s happening and she’s a special person.”
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/28/politics/sarah-palin-donald-trump-administration/
  • Options
    MTimT said:

The closest candidate to the centre in the 2012 US presidential election was Jon Huntsman, given the almost complete lack of impact of his campaign that shows again there is no point being in the centre if you have no base behind you
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Excellent thread leader from antifrank and a great deal of food for thought.

If the Lib Dems do indeed plan on launching full on into a 'real opposition' strategy, they might just find themselves swamped by a Corbyn-led Labour and by the SNP north of the border. Now would be a good time to be sensible. Whether Farron can do sensible remains to be seen.

I actually feel a bit sorry for the Lib Dems. I too thought that Farron would be the right man for the job: someone to make a noise and lead an opportunist charge against the government; a contrast to a Labour robot like Burnham or Cooper. But with Labour seemingly wanting to occupy the shouty spot, Norman Lamb might have been the better bet after all.

As for Labour, they quite clearly don't want to occupy the centre ground (unless the centre ground happens to be Trafalgar Square). It's true that elections tend to be won in the centre but you have to want it otherwise the public will see through the façade. I'm convinced that one reason Labour lost was that Miliband kept trying to talk centre (One Nation and all that) but constantly undermined himself with his actions and with other pronouncements.

As antifrank notes, the Tories have made a grab for the centre, perhaps noting how empty it currently looks. It's not that bold a move given the lack of an alternative there. The question is whether it will stick if an opponent takes the field, or, if UKIP manage to gain traction on the right.

(As an aside, a Corbyn-led Labour would put a big dent in UKIP's pitch to the WWC, although they could still run on social policies).

But the crucial point is the one antifrank makes when he says "winning over these [centrist] voters is not as simple as just plonking yourself as closely as possible to them". In fact, it should be elaborated further because there's a big risk if you get it wrong. In the same way that the centre must be occupied, it can only be occupied by so many. If you are seen as weak or incapable, then pitching to the centre not only fails to gain any advantage (as the stronger party will still snaffle the votes) but you also risk losing your core who disapprove of the lack of red meat.

Looking and sounding centrist is more likely to get you a hearing but ultimately the public will still pick the party that appears the most capable potential government.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MP_SE said:

"Donald Trump and Jeremy Corbyn Are Running the Same Con on Voters":

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/421480/donald-trump-jeremy-corbyn-clowns-neverland-tom-rogan
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

The closest candidate to the centre in the 2012 US presidential election was Jon Huntsman, given the almost complete lack of impact of his campaign that shows again there is no point being in the centre if you have no base behind you
    Huntsman was close to the US national centre, not the GOP centre. In Silver's chart, he would be Pataki, not Rubio.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Amen to that! Broad brush it can provide some basic indications, maybe, but most of the time if just seems to be tribal shorthand with little if any actual ideological basis.
  • Options
    Left-right isn't THAT bad. It fits 90 per cent of rich democracies well.

There is a party that combines the poor, trade unions, most social liberals, the public sector, young people and new citizens, who think if the government taxes other people it will make things better, and a party that combines the rich, farmers, most traditional conservatives, self-employed professionals, old people and pro-NATO/pro-Israel voters, who think if the government stops taxing them it will make things better. These days, you have to add an important role for the tendency rising across the wealthy northern European countries, the "no immigrants but more nurses please" faction.

If you had to explain Spanish politics to a Martian trained in English politics, you wouldn't just throw your hands up and deem it an ineffable national divide. You'd say the PSOE are like Labour and the PP are like the Conservatives.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Interesting piece by MacWhirter drawing parallels between the rise of the SNP and Corbyn's gravity defying popularity among Labour supporters:

https://iainmacwhirter.wordpress.com/2015/07/26/why-labour-members-are-saying-give-jez-a-chance/

Another interesting perspective from Ian Smart are Scottish Labour stalwart and ex party Chairman:

http://ianssmart.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/an-utterly-depressing-piece-after.html?m=1
  • Options

And, I'd suggest, still value.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MP_SE said:

But see my earlier post about Nate Silver's article. What is more, a lot of the polls being conducted on the GOP nomination race are of all voters, not GOP voters, and they are not at all weighted for likelihood to turn up to a caucus or vote in a primary. Particularly in the GOP nomination race with so many candidates, I'd treat headline first preference numbers with a huge amount of skepticism at this stage.
    Trump, a draft-dodger, was able to ridicule John McCain's war record and not only get away with it but to thrive. That's telling, he could win the Presidency.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Yes but this is the GOP you're dealing with here, where they believe the centre is, god only knows!
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The LibDems main challenge is struggling to remain relevant, todays announcement of their parliamentary spokespeople who will be taking the fight to the Tories from Watford town hall etc - says it all about where the party finds itself:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/new-lib-dem-spokespeople-announced

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2015

This may sound like good news for a Labour party that is exiting stage left. It is not. In May, those other things led to the voters decisively preferring the Conservatives despite their greater ideological distance from the public in aggregate. That decisive preference in favour of the Conservatives will get still stronger, all other things being equal, if Labour withdraw further from the bulk of the voters.
    This is a pretty big non-sequitur. As you point out, the Tories were seen as further away from the centre ground than Labour, yet they won. I could just as easily argue that, irrespective of where the public place themselves on a Left-Right scale (which they probably barely understand anyway), the results in May show that when it comes to the crunch, people vote for something distinctive: the proudly right-wing Tories and proudly left-wing SNP were the big winners, while the most centrist party the Lib Dems got a result that made Labour's look 1997-esque.
  • Options

MTimT said:

MP_SE said:

Trump, a draft-dodger, was able to ridicule John McCain's war record and not only get away with it but to thrive. That's telling, he could win the Presidency.
    No he can't. Read Silver's piece. He may be the first choice of 20%, but he is the last choice of probably 75%.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Yes but this is the GOP you're dealing with here, where they believe the centre is, god only knows!
    I think Silver is right, the centre of the GOP is somewhere close to Rubio.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    kle4 said:

Many people claim that politicians don't listen to them. The problem is they do - using focus groups and meet the public meetings and so on - and the voting public is often incoherent and facile. Just listen to the babble.

I think many people ache for clear leadership and authenticity. A signpost not a weathercock.

Thatcher had it. Blair had it (the inauthenticity showed up later). Osborne has the leadership but not the authenticity (too clever by half). Cameron has the authenticity(?) but not the leadership (a manager not a leader).

Burnham, Cooper and Kendall have neither the leadership nor the authenticity. Corbyn has both. Many people will follow him even if his history and policy may seem bonkers to committed right wingers. Committed right wingers are not swing voters in marginal constituencies. Swing voters are not committed and and by definition are easily swung. The tide may be about to turn.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    edited July 2015
    Off-topic: I'm going off on a short trip to Scotland. I've packed my walking gear for the first time in two years, and the familiar butterflies are fluttering merrily away.

I've just looked at the weather forecast and, annoyingly, it is for rain and even lightning over the next few days. But if I don't go now, I won't get another chance for at least a year.

I just hope my tent's still waterproof ...

Enjoy my absence! ;)
  • Options
    I wonder how many years Labour MPs will give Corbyn before attempting to remove him.
  • Options
    calum said:

The LibDems main challenge is struggling to remain relevant, todays announcement of their parliamentary spokespeople who will be taking the fight to the Tories from Watford town hall etc - says it all about where the party finds itself:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/new-lib-dem-spokespeople-announced

Necessary given the mixed nature of their MP bench, and a good way to get around their long-standing and historic problem with underrepresentation of women; I guess it's true after all that they had no safe seats to use AWS or an A-list.

I wasn't aware John Alderdice was a Lib Dem now.

Does this mean Burt and Featherstone to the Lords?
  • Options
    EPG said:

There is a party that combines the poor, trade unions, most social liberals, the public sector, young people and new citizens, who think if the government taxes other people it will make things better, and a party that combines the rich, farmers, most traditional conservatives, self-employed professionals, old people and pro-NATO/pro-Israel voters, who think if the government stops taxing them it will make things better. These days, you have to add an important role for the tendency rising across the wealthy northern European countries, the "no immigrants but more nurses please" faction.

If you had to explain Spanish politics to a Martian trained in English politics, you wouldn't just throw your hands up and deem it an ineffable national divide. You'd say the PSOE are like Labour and the PP are like the Conservatives.

You're displaying your own prejudices in how you describe the groups on each side of the divide.

Italian politics cannot be explained in such a fashion nor can Irish politics - where the wounds of how it gained independence from Britain run much deeper than you might think. France does not have much tradition of liberalism, as we would understand it. The French revolution explains pretty much everything about French politics and the President is far more of a Sun King figure than Presidents in other countries. Those who want to preserve the public sector, particularly in its role as a provider of jobs to favoured groups/clients - the clientilismo seen in Italy, for instance, are deeply conservative and it is a mistake to see them as on the Left simply because they want a big generous state.

• Options

Really, it's not coming across as too extreme, and coming across as competent that won the Tories 2015. Although, I have to say they came across as far more moderate between 2010-15, and during the GE than they do now.
    I don't understand why the LDs under the Orange-Brooker generation became so obsessed with the centre-ground. The likes of Richard Reeves, who pushed this agenda were stupid. (...) The LDs at this time were fighting for very existence, let alone getting into government with a base signifcantly smaller than the big two. I thought the LDs had a 15% base, so their single digit 8% base is even smaller than I think many anticipated. The LDs had their most success when they tacked left (taking advantage of vacuum left by New Labour) and when there was no competition for the protest vote. (...) But the LDs biggest problem was that there bid to centre reinforced their identity problem. Many don't really know what the LDs are for, nor do they trust in their competence despite their stint in government.

What´s all this about "sticking to the centre", Miss Apocalypse? Long before you were born or even thought of (if I have interpreted posts on PBC correctly), the Liberals defined themselves as "Not right nor left, but forwards". In other words, not authoritarian, but Liberal. That may be just a label, but it is pretty clear where we position outselves.

Party leaders take on advisers and strategists - and, certainly in the case of the Lib Dems, some of these like to give the impression that they have taken over the party. You categorise Mr Reeves as stupid, and I think most Lib Dems would agree with you. End of that line of argument.

Events this week have made it very clear where Lib Dems stand. The Tories are vindictive towards the weak and feeble. The Labour Party is so careful of its image, that it effectively supports the Tories. The Lib Dems stand up for the weak, indefensive and dispossessed.
    beverting to type
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Looking at Rubio's political opinions, I wonder where Osborne and Cameron would be on the GOP Right to Centre spectrum....
  • Options

Off-topic: I'm going off on a short trip to Scotland. I've packed my walking gear for the first time in two years, and the familiar butterflies are fluttering merrily away.

I've just looked at the weather forecast and, annoyingly, it is for rain and even lightning over the next few days. But if I don't go now, I won't get another chance for at least a year.

I just hope my tent's still waterproof ...

Enjoy my absence! ;)

Have fun. And may the sun shine in your face and the wind be on your back, or whatever the phrase is.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

You're displaying your own prejudices in how you describe the groups on each side of the divide.

Italian politics cannot be explained in such a fashion nor can Irish politics - where the wounds of how it gained independence from Britain run much deeper than you might think. France does not have much tradition of liberalism, as we would understand it. The French revolution explains pretty much everything about French politics and the President is far more of a Sun King figure than Presidents in other countries. Those who want to preserve the public sector, particularly in its role as a provider of jobs to favoured groups/clients - the clientilismo seen in Italy, for instance, are deeply conservative and it is a mistake to see them as on the Left simply because they want a big generous state.

Indeed, corporatism and statism have a lot in common, even though they are deemed on opposite poles of the spectrum
  • Options

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Looking at Rubio's political opinions, I wonder where Osborne and Cameron would be on the GOP Right to Centre spectrum....
    They would be that dying breed - a moderate Democrat. Hence Messina's (a Democratic political adviser) role in the Tory campaign.
  • Options

MTimT said:

MP_SE said:

Someone who sails that close to the wind instinctively will come a cropper at some point. It may well be that other candidates are not taking him seriously yet, or that they want to establish their own position in the race before mounting meaningful attacks on him. But if necessary, they will come and when they do, I doubt he can survive: there's just too much ammunition.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Yeah, I am displaying my prejudices. So what? Was I meant to be the first PB commenter with no political prejudices?

France is almost comically similar to the UK. They have moved from a country where Communists and Christian Democrats were the most popular parties, to a country where a Corbyn Labour Party fights a Cornerstone Conservative Party. Italy deeply wants to be similar to the UK to the extent that a two-party system is an article of faith among electoral reformers, but their right is in disarray at the moment; still, Renzi's PD on the left is about as Blairite as you can get in the 2010s.

Even so, the point is that these are all left-right systems! In none of these countries do you get alliances of trade unions, traditional conservatives, young people and Atlanticist foreign policy supporters, or elderly progressive farmers. I'm sure it's for fundamental Marxist/sociological reasons around how people are socialised. You have to go to Ireland or Poland for oddities like that.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    AndyJS said:

I wonder how many years Labour MPs will give Corbyn before attempting to remove him.

Not many, if he performs as poorly as Ed did.

But I fear the Conservatives on here are being a little too careless in disregarding Corbyn. Ed was stymied by not having a firm ideology and in having (in his mind) to prepare for power. Corbyn has a firm ideology he can sell, and can promise anything unencumbered with thoughts of power - after all, if he does become PM, the ideology is good, and that is all that matters. It will work.

Corbyn *might* prove a tougher challenge for the Conservatives than Ed, and is he can only beat expectations. If he starts landing the blows that Ed missed, Labour will stick with him.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Many people claim that politicians don't listen to them. The problem is they do - using focus groups and meet the public meetings and so on - and the voting public is often incoherent and facile. Just listen to the babble.

I think many people ache for clear leadership and authenticity. A signpost not a weathercock.

Thatcher had it. Blair had it (the inauthenticity showed up later). Osborne has the leadership but not the authenticity (too clever by half). Cameron has the authenticity(?) but not the leadership (a manager not a leader).

Burnham, Cooper and Kendall have neither the leadership nor the authenticity. Corbyn has both. Many people will follow him even if his history and policy may seem bonkers to committed right wingers. Committed right wingers are not swing voters in marginal constituencies. Swing voters are not committed and and by definition are easily swung. The tide may be about to turn.
    I don't know exactly how to define Cameron. He has something about him - the oft used backhanded compliment of him looking and sounding like a PM, as though that was all he had, has some substance I think - as a lot of people doubt his authenticity, but as you say he does seem more a manager than as imposing of a leader as we tend to imagine leaders to be.

That said, it is often the case that the truly committed can bring others along with them, down paths they never thought they'd go down against opposition that seems overwhelming, because almost everybody is a little uncertain, they have doubts, and the truly committed can exploit that to great and terrible ends.
    PClipp said:

What´s all this about "sticking to the centre", Miss Apocalypse? e
    I believe it was my words quoted in that bit about 'sticking to the centre'. I confess that as much as i deride the left-right spectrum, I fall back on its terminology too often - I am well aware of the LD idea of neither left or right, and so naturally my brain categorizes them as trying for the centre, rather than attempting to go down a different axis
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Rubio is a Florida Senator like Jeb Bush. In his home State he polls 10% against Trump's 26% and Jeb's 20%. Rubio's a no-hoper, his presidential bid is effectively over.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

The GOP used to produce a lot of centrist presidents, IKE, Ford, Bush Snr, now even Jeb Bush is too moderate for much of the party
  • Options
    edited July 2015

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Rubio is a Florida Senator like Jeb Bush. In his home State he polls 10% against Trump's 26% and Jeb's 20%. Rubio's a no-hoper, his presidential bid is effectively over.
    We'll have to disagree on this one. Rubio may or may not win, he may or may not be one of that select few serious candidates left standing, but he has the potential to be, whereas Trump does not.

Again, read the Silver piece. It may provide you some insight.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

What´s all this about "sticking to the centre", Miss Apocalypse? Long before you were born or even thought of (if I have interpreted posts on PBC correctly), the Liberals defined themselves as "Not right nor left, but forwards". In other words, not authoritarian, but Liberal. That may be just a label, but it is pretty clear where we position outselves.

Party leaders take on advisers and strategists - and, certainly in the case of the Lib Dems, some of these like to give the impression that they have taken over the party. You categorise Mr Reeves as stupid, and I think most Lib Dems would agree with you. End of that line of argument.

Events this week have made it very clear where Lib Dems stand. The Tories are vindictive towards the weak and feeble. The Labour Party is so careful of its image, that it effectively supports the Tories. The Lib Dems stand up for the weak, indefensive and dispossessed.
    beverting to type

Hasn't the kind of Social Liberalism embraced by the LDs from the 80s onwards been roughly around the centre-left anyway though? Certainly politicians such as Charles Kennedy saw themselves as being on the Left, and certainly it's appeared that's the politics of the LD grassroots' base.

On Labour: the party is so divided right now I don't think we can even say where it stands. One half of the party as you say, simply wants to keep ceding ground to the Tories. The other wants a more radical, left-wing prospectus. That there is no moderate ground between those positions at this time in Labour is the big issue for the party. Are Labour simply to become some kind of imitation of the Conservatives, or some kind of radical social movement which doesn't really look like a credible government? That the debate in Labour has really come to this shows that the modernisers, who Labour needs now more than ever have no ideas.

On the LDs: The LDs problem as said by @calum is also remaining relevant. While the LDs opposition to the welfare bill is a start to being distinctive once again, they face a battle to imprint any kind of identity they may have upon the public.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

This may sound like good news for a Labour party that is exiting stage left. It is not. In May, those other things led to the voters decisively preferring the Conservatives despite their greater ideological distance from the public in aggregate. That decisive preference in favour of the Conservatives will get still stronger, all other things being equal, if Labour withdraw further from the bulk of the voters.
    This is a pretty big non-sequitur. As you point out, the Tories were seen as further away from the centre ground than Labour, yet they won. I could just as easily argue that, irrespective of where the public place themselves on a Left-Right scale (which they probably barely understand anyway), the results in May show that when it comes to the crunch, people vote for something distinctive: the proudly right-wing Tories and proudly left-wing SNP were the big winners, while the most centrist party the Lib Dems got a result that made Labour's look 1997-esque.

If you look at the graph Labour were about as far from the left as the Tories were from the right and the Tories had UKIP to their right as much as Labour had the SNP to their left. The fact the Tories were in coalition with the centrist LDs also made the government and Cameron seem more centrist
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The thing that Tories took pride on in the election was their record in government, not their ideology: pragmatism not doctrine. That's quite centrist.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

They would be that dying breed - a moderate Democrat. Hence Messina's (a Democratic political adviser) role in the Tory campaign.
    Wow.

Can I just ask why on earth are the GOP so right-wing. I guess it may be because I'm on the centre-left of British politics, but they come across as quite extreme.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Huntsman was close to the US national centre, not the GOP centre. In Silver's chart, he would be Pataki, not Rubio.
    Pataki, Huntsman, Lieberman, they are probably the most centrist candidates of recent years
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

The GOP used to produce a lot of centrist presidents, IKE, Ford, Bush Snr, now even Jeb Bush is too moderate for much of the party
    I'd also be interested in your response to this question I asked @MTimT as well: why on earth are the GOP so right-wing?

EDIT: I'd also agree with @david_herdson. The Tories did not come off as right-wing during the GE - only their 12bn welfare cuts really bothered me. Now, on the other hand....
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Cameron invited McCain to the 2007 Tory conference and is basically an Arnold Schwarzanneger Republican. Osborne has received standing ovations at GOP dinners for his economic policies. Though both would be left of the average Republican, Liam Fox probably has closer ties to Republicans through his friendship with Karl Rove
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2015

Danny565 said:

The thing that Tories took pride on in the election was their record in government, not their ideology: pragmatism not doctrine. That's quite centrist.

I agree up to a point, but it certainly wasn't the public perception that Labour's approach at the last election was remotely based on "left-wing" ideology or doctrine. The single most common complaint about Miliband I heard was "I've got no idea what he stands for" (often contrasted with "atleast the Conservatives know where they want to go, like it or not" or a comment of that nature).
  • Options
    Here's a piece on Trump by a GOPer, who basically says Trump is Corbyn without naming Corbyn. FWIW, I disagree with most of the analysis, but I pass it on for those who disagree with me. My own view is that some people are delighting in Trump's egotistical non-PC stick it to the Establishment inappropriateness (note not, like Corbyn, his ideological purity or earnestness) now, when it does not matter, but that many of these people are non-voters, will remain non-voters, and will actually (unlike the 3 pounders in the UK) not get anywhere near voting in the nomination process.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/trump-republican-establishment-120713.html?hp=t1_r#.Vbky_-u7KfQ
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

I'd also be interested in your response to this question I asked @MTimT as well: why on earth are the GOP so right-wing?

EDIT: I'd also agree with @david_herdson. The Tories did not come off as right-wing during the GE - only their 12bn welfare cuts really bothered me. Now, on the other hand....
    Indeed, even as late as 1989 Thatcher was right of Bush Senior. I think it really started with Newt Gingrich's 'Contract with America' and the rise of the religious right, but being the party of 'angry white men' has only won them the popular vote once in the past 6 presidential elections
  • Options
    Corbyn +764
    Cooper +663
    Burnham +355
    Kendall -110
    David Miliband -636

Should I call international rescue yet ?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Excellent post as usual by Antifrank but I'd add something interesting Peter Kellner said at the post-election Nuffield College seminar that's doing the re-runs on BBC Parliament, available here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wdqq7

There are really two kinds of left-right. There's the substantive, policy details which make a particular manifesto right or left. But there is also an abstract aura of left or right, and this kind of subjective political positioning doesn't necessarily align with concrete pledges.

Kellner argued that Tony Blair had some very left-wing or progressive policies, such as minimum wage (there are apparently some young'uns on PB for whom the idea of life without the minimum wage is unthinkable, but for the bulk of the 20th century, when minimum wages have frequently been in political discussion particularly within left-wing circles, the idea of introducing one was long unthinkable: even radically-inclined Labour governments steered away from it) yet was able to position himself as centrist overall. He was able to create an image of a centrist, by careful media judgment, shying away from inflammatory rhetoric and adding some more right-leaning policies which counterbalanced his left-wing ones. Kellner's argument seemed to be that Blair could have been seen as a more seriously left-wing progressive leader had he chosen to, but that he had wisely set his sights on the centre-line.

On the other hand, Michael Howard produced a manifesto that, line by line, on matters like immigration, crime and Europe, the British public was broadly sympathetic to. On each particular policy he was not substantially far away from the typical British voter, if such a beast there be. Yet taken in aggregate with his historic image, it led people to the impression that he was a long way to the right of them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Indeed, even as late as 1989 Thatcher was right of Bush Senior. I think it really started with Newt Gingrich's 'Contract with America' and the rise of the religious right, but being the party of 'angry white men' has only won them the popular vote once in the past 6 presidential elections
    Yes, I've heard they have a huge issue now that Hispanics are set to become America's biggest demographic.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Yes, I've heard they have a huge issue now that Hispanics are set to become America's biggest demographic.
    I'm not sure Hispanics will become America's biggest demographic. Like the Irish and the Italian, many of them will see themselves as white over time.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I am on Edge. I am broadcasting to you via the medium of Windows 10. It's a newish PC and I didn't want to get too invested in Windows 8.1 so thought I'd make the switch early. Nothing disastrous has occurred. It's clearly more search-oriented. The start button works properly again. Edge seems more practical, in many ways, than IE. The taskbar icons are smaller, which would be frustrating on a smaller screen: will convert my little transformer tablet shortly and I think I might need to dig out a magnifying glass. I am trying to avoid Cortana spying on me but perhaps I will succumb to her alleged charms at some stage (Microsoft's argument seems to be that Cortana is less evil than Siri or Google Now because the data collected about me would not primarily be used to target torrents of ads at me, but rather to improve my user experience...I am not 100% convinced, but hey ho. None of my ZX Speccies certainly ever pulled that kind of trick on me. God bless you Sir Clive).

Does anybody here regularly use Cortana or Siri? I think the embarrassment factor may be reduced by being able to type a query in, rather than talking at your hardware as if you were some kind of maniac (again, my Speccies only let me talk to them through the keyboard, and however unwieldy knowing all the symbol-shift combinations was, I thank them for allowing less awkward human-computer interaction than my "talk to me!" mobile phones do.)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Evening all from Budapest. I see that I have managed to irritate people right across the political spectrum. That's always reassuring.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

If you look at the US East-West from New York to Seattle, the US is pretty similar to Canada: centre-left on the coasts and big cities, and very right wing in the prairie West, with the centre-left outnumbering the right so being centre-right overall. The difference is that the USA has the South, which is incredibly conservative and also populous.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Whites will be a minority by 2050 in the USA, though they will still be a plurality. Jeb Bush is married to a Mexican and speaks Spanish so he and his half-Hispanic son George P are probably the future of the party. Romney won a higher percentage of the white vote in 2012 than any Republican since 1988, he still lost, that explains the scale of their problem
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

I'm not sure Hispanics will become America's biggest demographic. Like the Irish and the Italian, many of them will see themselves as white over time.
    With the kind of rhetoric from people like Trump regarding Mexicans, I think that's a tad optimistic in the medium-term, at the very least.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Here's a piece on Trump by a GOPer, who basically says Trump is Corbyn without naming Corbyn. FWIW, I disagree with most of the analysis, but I pass it on for those who disagree with me. My own view is that some people are delighting in Trump's egotistical non-PC stick it to the Establishment inappropriateness (note not, like Corbyn, his ideological purity or earnestness) now, when it does not matter, but that many of these people are non-voters, will remain non-voters, and will actually (unlike the 3 pounders in the UK) not get anywhere near voting in the nomination process.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/trump-republican-establishment-120713.html?hp=t1_r#.Vbky_-u7KfQ

Damian MacBride mentioned that and also explained how Farage, Salmond and Bernie Sanders are also part of the same phenomonon
  • Options
    edited July 2015

why on earth are the GOP so right-wing?

The political centre of the US is way to the right of the UK and Europe. The starting point for much of the country outside the major cities is that government is a necessary evil, not a solution to societal problems. Self-sufficiency, even of the rural poor, libertarianism (the government does not belong here), low taxation and deregulation are almost unquestioned as self-evident policies in these areas.

With the rise of the Christian Coalition, the GOP started to move to the right, relatively, on social issues (in fact, the Dems moved more to the left than the GOP moved to the right, but society as a whole was moving with the Dems) such as abortion, gay rights, legalization of cannabis etc... The net result is that the GOP ended up further from the US centre than did the Dems.

However, simultaneously, the moderates in both parties have been massacred through the primary processes. Moderate GOPers have been hacked down by Tea Party insurgents at the nomination level, with the result that some TP candidates have been elected, and others have lost to their Dem opponents but in both cases the GOP moderates have lost (taking the Congressional GOP to the right both through the addition of TPers and the subtraction of moderates). The same has happened,mutatis mutandis, in the Democratic party. The Blue Dog Democrats were almost completely wiped out in 2014 to a mixture of losses to GOP challengers in the election, or more liberal Democrats in the nomination process.
  • Options
    JEO said:

If you look at the US East-West from New York to Seattle, the US is pretty similar to Canada: centre-left on the coasts and big cities, and very right wing in the prairie West, with the centre-left outnumbering the right so being centre-right overall. The difference is that the USA has the South, which is incredibly conservative and also populous.

Thanks for that response. Why do you think the GOP has shifted further to the Right though? It seems that they used to be more moderate - and I'd imagine that those political demographics would have been the same years ago....
    HYUFD said:

Whites will be a minority by 2050 in the USA, though they will still be a plurality. Jeb Bush is married to a Mexican and speaks Spanish so he and his half-Hispanic son George P are probably the future of the party. Romney won a higher percentage of the white vote in 2012 than any Republican since 1988, he still lost, that explains the scale of their problem

Romney was god-awful. He's like the GOP Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Exactly, without the South the Republicans would not have won a presidential election for 27 years
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

WTF?

That may all be true and we could (in my view should) do something about 2.

But the issue is that just because someone wants to come here doesn't mean that we should be obliged to let them in. We should only allow in those migrants that we want i.e. those who have something useful to contribute to this country, will integrate well and not be a nuisance or a burden. And, above all, we should allow in only those numbers and types that those of us who are here agree to i.e. any migration into the UK should be done openly and with our informed consent.

Personally, I don't want a lot of aggressive young men from God-awful war-torn hell-holes, no matter how much money they've paid or ingenuity shown in travelling here.

Amen to that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Exactly, without the South the Republicans would not have won a presidential election for 27 years
    That's like saying without a majority they would not have won. Without NY and California, where would the Dems be?
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Yes, Mr Herdson. The Conservatives fought the last election as if they were (almost) Liberal Democrats. That is why they did so well.

Now that it is clearly seen that they are not, I sense that their support will fall away fast.

I also suspect that Miss Apocalyse is a Lib Dem at heart, although she does not yet realise this.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

The political centre of the US is way to the right of the UK and Europe. The starting point for much of the country outside the major cities is that government is a necessary evil, not a solution to societal problems. Self-sufficiency, even of the rural poor, libertarianism (the government does not belong here), low taxation and deregulation are almost unquestioned as self-evident policies in these areas.

With the rise of the Christian Coalition, the GOP started to move to the right, relatively, on social issues (in fact, the Dems moved more to the left than the GOP moved to the right, but society as a whole was moving with the Dems) such as abortion, gay rights, legalization of cannabis etc... The net result is that the GOP ended up further from the US centre than did the Dems.

However, simultaneously, the moderates in both parties have been massacred through the primary processes. Moderate GOPers have been hacked down by Tea Party insurgents at the nomination level, with the result that some TP candidates have been elected, and others have lost to their Dem opponents but in both cases the GOP moderates have lost (taking the Congressional GOP to the right both through the addition of TPers and the subtraction of moderates). The same has happened,mutatis mutandis, in the Democratic party. The Blue Dog Democrats were almost completely wiped out in 2014 to a mixture of losses to GOP challengers in the election, or more liberal Democrats in the nomination process.
    On the whole yes, but Switzerland, for example, spends less as a percentage of gdp than the US does. Abortion is still illegal in Poland and Ireland unlike the USA and the USA has just legalised gay marriage which is not yet legal in Germany and Italy and most of Eastern Europe
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

weejonnie said:

Whilst UKIP may be on the far right hand side of that image that does not make them a far right party. They are barely more right wing than the Tories.
    Lighting the blue touch paper - where would you place the Nazis?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I saw a side had got bowled out for less than 150 and automatically assumed it was England.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Thanks for the response.

It's looking like in both the US and UK politics is increasingly drifting further right, and further left simultaneously....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited July 2015
    Well, I'm up and running on Windows 10.

Haven't tried Edge yet - sticking to Chrome.

The key combinations seem to be the same. All my stuff seems to work fine.

The only thing I noticed when doing my anti-virus scan is that there are 380k more files than there used to be. Presumably the 'old' windows is backed up.

It boots more quickly.

There's not really much difference that I can see other than menu re-arrangement. I never used the tiles in windows 8 anyway.

So far so good.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

MTimT said:

Wow.

Can I just ask why on earth are the GOP so right-wing. I guess it may be because I'm on the centre-left of British politics, but they come across as quite extreme.
    Not an answer to your question as such, but are you a big follower of US politics or are you just a casual observer? Someone who only pays attention at elections, when primary candidates have to chase their party base so come up with all kinds of stuff (before tacking centre at the national polls), or when someone says something extreme and it trends in the British press or social media, is not getting a very representative picture of US politics (and it would systematically make the GOP appear more extreme than they are). If you are interested in state-by-state politics, you'd get a more nuanced view as to how they cut their cloth locally: Republicans in New York or California adjust to the local political spectrum.

In fact American politicians (or campaigns at any rate) are generally excellent at adapting to the audience they have to win over. Presidential elections are often described as landslide victories when there were really just a couple of points in it: people know how to position themselves to get as close to the 51% or 52% mark (excluding third parties) they need to win. I am oversimplifying here. But when was the last time there was a complete and utter thrashing in a two-party presidential race?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McGovern_presidential_campaign,_1972

McGovern, or his team, or the Dems who chose for him to run, stuffed up. They completely misread the mood. That I think, more than the brilliance of Nixon, was why they only mustered 37.5% of the vote. For comparison, a candidate around 45% would be described as very badly beaten. That so many US elections are, relatively, razor-edged shows that the parties are actually pretty good at reading and reflecting the mood of the nation.

Which brings me to my main point: if you think the Republicans seem extreme right on the British political spectrum, and yet they have not been getting McGovern style thrashings, they must in some way reflect the American electorate. The Dems are pretty right-wing too: plenty of British Tories would feel at home with them. The centre (or center) of political gravity is just in a different place in the USA, though there are states where it is closer to Britain's. As to why that is, that's a huge question and no single definitive answer. There are sociologists and political scientist who have carved entire careers out of it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I saw a side had got bowled out for less than 150 and automatically assumed it was England.

Still a possibility, technically.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

MTimT said:

It's looking like in both the US and UK politics is increasingly drifting further right, and further left simultaneously....
    Could be worse, could be Greece - Syriza and Golden Dawn?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Oddly enough that's because of the Democrats. LBJ said that passing the Civil Rights Act would cost the Democrats the South for a generation. It's been much longer.
  • Options

JEO said:

With the kind of rhetoric from people like Trump regarding Mexicans, I think that's a tad optimistic in the medium-term, at the very least.
    Probably more precise to say that Mexican immigrants will see themselves as "American" rather than "white". A lot of Mexicans are whiter than I am. (Note:I turn red in the sun very easily.)

Are we talking here about skin colour, or about inherited culture?
  • Options

JEO said:

Thanks for that response. Why do you think the GOP has shifted further to the Right though? It seems that they used to be more moderate - and I'd imagine that those political demographics would have been the same years ago....
    HYUFD said:

Romney was god-awful. He's like the GOP Ed Miliband.
    The demographics are in constant flux. There are 12 million or more undocumented Latin American migrants in the US. That influx, along with differential birth rates and more engaged minority voters, are moving the electorate rapidly away from a white dominated affair. But at the same time, the percentage of each minority being won by each party, and the geographic distribution of the vote is changing.

Blue states (democratic) are losing population and hence, every ten years with the census, numbers of representatives in the House. This has no effect on the number of Senators in blue states, and a less dramatic affect on the electoral college in Presidential elections. But at some stage, this population flow can cause states to tip from Red to Blue, or at least Purple, as we have seen in Colorado and Virginia.

Meanwhile, two white voting populations have gone from solid Dem to GOP - white working class males and (to a lesser extent) the Catholic vote. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the Jewish vote will fracture (over Israel policies) in the future, with a significant portion moving to the GOP from Dem.

So electoral theories based on demographic changes have to also take into account shifting political allegiances within those demographic groups. My own view is that, in the long term, the one will balance out the other and we'll still have two viable parties contesting elections and taking turns to be in power.
  • Options
    Latest Canadian averages:

Con 31.6%
    NDP 31.6%
    Lib 26.1%
    BQ 5.0%
    Green 5.0%

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/poll-tracker/2015/index.html
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps Canute's savvy might persuade you otherwise