Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    My twopennath for the night:
    http://www.steynonline.com/5605/ukip-shakes-up-westminster
    Otherwise it's all measly Pork tonight.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Neil said:

@RobD

I'm glad someone is keeping up the Cameron-loving in RichardN's absence ;)

Where is The Nabavi?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

@RobD

I'm glad someone is keeping up the Cameron-loving in RichardN's absence ;)

Where is The Nabavi?

I think he is in a self-imposed exile from PB. Could be mistaken for another poster though.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Avery

Probably touring some of Europe's finer vineyards knowing Richard! (I actually havent seen him online recently, I'm sure he'll be around for the next PB Tory cocktail party.)
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Avery

Probably touring some of Europe's finer vineyards knowing Richard! (I actually havent seen him online recently, I'm sure he'll be around for the next PB Tory cocktail party.)

He did confess to being 60 this year.

Perhaps he has taken early retirement?

Or, more likely, as you suggest, celebrating in the vineyards.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    He doesnt look a day over 50, Avery ;)

Perhaps he's preparing the ground for JohnO's next night out in London by checking out the best places to stay on the south coast.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2013
    LabourList - Falkirk CLP placed in “special measures” over selection allegations

"“Unite rejects the decisions taken today by the Labour Party in relation to the Falkirk West selection process. It does so on behalf of the many decent trade unionists who have joined the Party in good faith and are now to be denied any say in the choice of their Labour parliamentary candidate. None of the allegations contained in the report of the so-called “investigation” have been put to Unite in clear breach of natural justice. The intervention by Party officials into this process has been driven by Blairite pressure to exclude trade unionists from any influence in the Party, an ambition clearly spelled out by Peter Mandelson last month. Trade unionists will draw their own conclusions regarding the integrity of the Party’s procedures.”"

We saw some interesting spats between Unite and 'Blairite' factions in Labour candidate selections before the last GE. But I have a feeling that this time around, Unite's claims of 'Blairite pressure' being behind the scrutiny and criticism of the integrity of the selection process is simple an attempt to deflect from their own behaviour during the selection process. I mean, c'mon, this is a Scottish seat.....

This issue might be worth a thread as it could have implications in the run up to the next GE. The impact of heightened tensions between the Labour Leadership and the Unions on everything from candidate selection to manifesto policies may well end up being exacerbated by the number of current Labour MP's already beholden to individual Unions for direct funding or support. As the next GE draws close, and the Labour party has to finally face up to producing a manifesto containing policies that have to be seen as both credible to both the voter and their Unions donors. I can see one hell of a conflict of interests occurring.

Interesting to note that the internal spats within the Labour party are now beginning to grow and seep out into the main stream media at just the wrong time. One to watch as it would seem that its no longer a case of the TB/GB's, more a case of who pays the piper and then has to their tune. In the run up to the next GE, David Cameron faces a fight with the EU and Nick Clegg over what powers he can and would want to repatriate to the UK before an EU Referendum. But ironically, this may turn out to be a far more electorate pleasing fight than the one Ed Miliband faces with his own MP's, candidates and Union donors.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited June 2013
    BREAKING: Rudd challenging Gillard for PM position, needs 35 signatures to call for a Labor caucus meeting. Vote of confidence a key aspect from all 150 in Lower parliament members from all parties if it happens. Small majority may support him over Gillard, in both cases, all happening next few hours.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited June 2013
    She might have more time for her knitting.

Live Australian news from here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

BREAKING: Rudd challenging Gillard for PM position, needs 35 signatures to call for a Labor caucus meeting. Vote of confidence a key aspect from all 150 in Lower parliament members from all parties if it happens. Small majority may support him over Gillard, in both cases, all happening next few hours.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    [deleted test]
This discussion has been closed.