Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another PB betting tip comes good

13»

Comments

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013

As a long-time lurker I wanted to thank Mike for the betting tip 25 quid and on my first political bet! Thank you sir.

Well done.
    Good to see the focus on betting and politics on PB has paid off in the best way possible.
    Long may it continue. :)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Charles said:

OGH - can I suggest this as a topic for a thread (a new one, please!)

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/tory-members-send-ministers-eu-reform-shopping-list/

Some very interesting data - and the challenge for renegotiation

The powers that the Tory members don't like fall into 3 categories:

1. Absolutely core to Europe: (free movement of people)
    2. Too important to the French: agriculture
    3. Politically challenging to focus solely on: employment

Leaves possible areas: legal/human rights (but not really EU), fishing and financial regulation.

Getting powers back on fishing, financial regulation and emplyment would be a great negotiation outcome - but doesn't really seem like it would be very satisfying for the BOOers.

Good analysis, and would be a good subject for a thread as Charles suggests.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    'I lost my virginity to an alien holographic at the age of FIVE': Labour politician appears on TV to defend his claims of encounters with extra-terrestrials

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2343983/Whitby-Councillor-Simon-Parkes-tells-ITVs-The-Morning-I-lost-virginity-alien-holographic-age-FIVE.html

lol
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    If 'everyone knows' that Cameron will back 'IN' if there's a referendum what odds would anyone care to offer that he doesn't?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,727
    edited June 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

@CarlottaVance

Scottish Social Attitudes Survey JUNE 2013
    Change vs yag
    Independence: 35% -8
    Devo max 32% +3
    Status quo: 24% +3
    No Scottish Parliament: 6%. +1

edited for completeness
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited June 2013

'I lost my virginity to an alien holographic at the age of FIVE': Labour politician appears on TV to defend his claims of encounters with extra-terrestrials

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2343983/Whitby-Councillor-Simon-Parkes-tells-ITVs-The-Morning-I-lost-virginity-alien-holographic-age-FIVE.html

lol

When Philip wondered if being taken by aliens might clash with his duties, Parkes said: 'I am not taken during meetings. These creatures do not want attention drawn to themselves. And they don't have an agenda or oppose me discussing this, otherwise i wouild have been stopped.'

Cllr Parkes has already spoken publicly about rowing with his wife after revealing he had a child called Zarka with an alien he refers to as the Cat Queen.

The driving instructor said he has sexual relations with the alien about four times a year.

...its true!! He gets hounded by the Alien Support Agency for 10% of his income each month

- jpfinn123, stalbans, United Kingdom, 18/6/2013 19:51

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Heard a very funny story about the number of members the Tories have lost over the last 6 months. Quite how Tory members put up with Cameron hollowing out the membership I do not know.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Dear god, the tea party tories are bolding in their anger, can a flounce off the site be far behind? ;^ )
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    You must be concerned that support for independence is still seven points higher than it was two years ago, Carlotta? Not to mention that independence remains the most popular option, and that the status quo supported by the No campaign remains the least popular option?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Omnium said:

Your post beyond that makes no sense

I've learned to live with the crushing blow that right wingers on PB don't seem to understand posts on independence or devolution. Tea party tories more than most it would appear.
  • Options
    Plato said:

The driving instructor said he has sexual relations with the alien about four times a year.

Back on planet Zarg they're pissing themselves. Of all the humans!

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

You must be concerned that support for independence is still seven points higher than it was two years ago, Carlotta? Not to mention that independence remains the most popular option, and that the status quo supported by the No campaign remains the least popular option?

If it is a 'No' in the end I sincerely hope the four countries of the UK get together and organise a proper federal relationship, as opposed to this botch of varying levels of devolution for each constituent country.
  • Options
    Labour in Wales

Education Minister Leighton Andrews resigns in schools row

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23056173
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Omnium said:

I've learned to live with the crushing blow that right wingers on PB don't seem to understand posts on independence or devolution. Tea party tories more than most it would seem.

Ok but there are no 'Tea party tories' - didn't we work that out?

I'm more than happy to try to understand what you say, but I didn't so far.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

Omnium said:

I've learned to live with the crushing blow that right wingers on PB don't seem to understand posts on independence or devolution. Tea party tories more than most it would seem.

Ok but there are no 'Tea party tories' - didn't we work that out?
    You can work out what you like but you can't control how people choose to define party factions any more than you can control whether Cammie calls kippers "fruitcakes, loons and closet racists" or if tory activists get called "swivel-eyed loons".

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Mick_Pork said:

or if tory activists get called "swivel-eyed loons".

Whenever I hear that phrase I can't not think of Lord Monkton

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tyke - all union related. They run the show now.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Grandiose said:

"Primacy - The UK Parliament should retain the right to amend all laws active in the UK."

How does that work? We can, in one sense, at the moment by repealing the 1972 Act. In any other sense the very idea of a common market (social powers of the EU even aside) wouldn't make much sense: standardisation of weights, measures, railways, and all sorts of other standards - except where the UK opts out?

Railways? The loading gauge in the UK is different than on the Continent.
    Yep, railways. AIUI there are various Europe-wide railway standards - http://www.rssb.co.uk/EUROPE/Pages/default.aspx - , but perhaps the most pertinent is the safety system ERTS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Rail_Traffic_Management_System

Part of which is the ETCS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System

Naturally, in the acronyms the 'E' stands for European.

Whether these useful standards would have come into being without the European Union is an interesting question (for a lax enough definition of 'interesting').
  • Options
    Just watching secrets from the workhouse on itv,can I be the first to say,nasty tory b.....ds or was it liberal B's ;-)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

you can't control how people choose to define party factions

I just don't understand what the label might mean. "Tea Party" means something in the US, and obviously "Tory" essentially means Conservative here, but I don't understand who or what you might mean by the combination of the two. I did a bit of a search and I found a couple of articles, but they're meaningless in their application of the tag.

Is there anyone who you could certainly label as a 'Tea Party Tory' or for that matter could you certainly say what views a 'Tea Party Tory' should have?

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

you can't control how people choose to define party factions

I just don't understand what the label might mean.
    I don't require you to understand just as your confusion over devolution and independence posts is of no real consequence I'm afraid. The fact that tea party tory always evokes such a visceral reaction on here from right wingers tells me that it hits the mark more than adequately and will certainly not stop me from using it. Quite the opposite in fact. :)

You might try asking Cammie what attributes most mark out a "swivel-eyed loon" in a tory activist if you seek further enlightenment on such matters.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    A little off topic but does anyone know how the Scottish Referendum votes will be counted/published - will it be on a Constituency or Council basis ?
  • Options

A little off topic but does anyone know how the Scottish Referendum votes will be counted/published - will it be on a Constituency or Council basis ?

Local elections was the model IIRC. Chief counting officer in charge I think.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,013
    #Pork

"I just don't understand what the label might mean" hardly constitutes a visceral reaction. The truth is it is a mantra, devoid of meaning, chanted over and over again by those devoid of political argument, in the hope that the label might stick and that people might understand it as something essentially undefined, but bad.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Tyke

Would hardly call one Councillor quitting disarray. The Tories would be in total meltdown if that was the case with all their defections to UKIP
This discussion has been closed.