Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tim Farron becomes LD leader after beating Norman Lamb

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tim Farron becomes LD leader after beating Norman Lamb

The vote split was 56.5% to Norman Lamb’s 43.5:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Who? Who?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Surprised it was so close.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm very surprised TO was only 56%.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Farron isn't going to help win back those on the right of the party who voted Tory in May.

I appreciate that with only 7 MPs to choose from, the party didn't have an embarrassment of riches in terms of possible candidates, but retreating to the left is not the way to regain all those lost seats in the South.

Lamb lacks personality - but he is a far more appealing leader
  • Options
    Plato said:

I'm very surprised TO was only 56%.

I would've expected 60/40 atleast.
  • Options

Farron isn't going to help win back those on the right of the party who voted Tory in May.

I appreciate that with only 7 MPs to choose from, the party didn't have an embarrassment of riches in terms of possible candidates, but retreating to the left is not the way to regain all those lost seats in the South.

Except the Lib Dems' best performance in the South / in Tory seats came under lefty Kennedy.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

But they voted Charles Kennedy twice?

Not sure how "right" or "left" are very relevant to the Lib Dems. The best campaigner won.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Only 56% turnout? That makes it a voting pool of about 2 men and a dog....
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Also Farron's very public Christianity is going to do more harm than good when it comes to establishing a broad appeal.

I find it very hard to associate liberal attitudes and Church attitudes. The two are often very much at odds.
  • Options
    He really is one of a kind :smiley:
    The Duke of Edinburgh is known for his embarrassing gaffes so it is no wonder he managed to insult a London community centre group during an official visit today.

Prince Philip asked a group of women 'who do you sponge off?' while visiting Chadwell Heath Community Centre in Dagenham, east London, to mark its official opening.

It comes less than a week after the 94-year-old royal was caught on camera shouting 'just take the f****** picture' during a photocall for the Battle of Britain anniversary.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3163868/Prince-Philip-does-asks-women-East-End-community-centre-group-sponge-off.html#ixzz3g4Mo0NcI
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Congratulations OGH on your unblemished LD leadership voting record. :lol:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 26s27 seconds ago
    Ladbrokes:
    @timfarron is 200/1 to be next PM.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Never mind mike,your not alone,the liberal Democrat membership never vote a winner.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 26s27 seconds ago
    Ladbrokes:
    @timfarron is 200/1 to be next PM.

That is somewhat low surely. 1000/1 is more likely
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Farron and Corbyn ?

The Gang of Four reform?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    I would have voted for Lamb.
    Still, selecting Farron will enable the LibDems to outflank Labour on the left . . . Oh! Wait! . . . :wink:
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Good time to be taking over. Many, many left of centre votes out there, goodness knows what they are making of labour.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    But what was the result? I still can't find the result anywhere. Have they even announced it yet? I don't want to be fobbed off, insulted and patronised with a summary, a headline, or percentages. I want to know the result.
  • Options
    Shamelessly borrowed from John Rentoul, but I'm sure that some on here will enjoy this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/03/health-food-fads-quinoa-guilt-free-diet

Any article that includes the following opening to a section:

"I was innocently picking samphire with some friends on the Essex coast..."

is gold-dust for me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Well Farron won but closer than suspected I think.
  • Options
    Good grief, Tim Farron certainly works his Twitter hard.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 44s44 seconds ago
    Lib Dems to win over 8 seats at next GE: 1/3
    Lib Dems to win a byelection in this parliament: 5/4
    Farron to be replaced before GE: 11/4
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    Well, I wouldn't have voted for him as he annoys me at some basic level. But he's brave, very brave to take this one on.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Good time to be taking over. Many, many left of centre votes out there, goodness knows what they are making of labour.

The public have switched off from politics for their costumery five year kip.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Afternoon all :)

Unfortunately, Mike, I retain my record of having voted for the winner in every LD leadership election contest except 2006 when I didn't vote as Mrs Stodge and I were travelling the world.

I remember going to an Internet cafe in Paihia to comment on here about the Dunfermline & West Fife by-election won by Willie Rennie.

One or two predictable comments from the Conservative-inclined on the previous thread - any time anyone uses the words, "cripes", "crikey" or "wowsers" I lose all interest pretty much as I do with any references to the Punic Wars.

Some of said Conservative grouping were wittering on about a 56% turnout - the 2005 Conservative leadership election only managed 61% so not much to get on the collective high horse about there.

I thought Norman Lamb would poll over 40% and lose - the members' poll from earlier in the week was a pretty good guide to the outcome.

Finally, and most important, congratulations to Tim and best wishes.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    For comparison:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/page/2/

"LD Newswire survey has Tim Farron heading for 58-42% victory over Norman Lamb for next party leader "

Not bad polling at all. Are the Labour polls anywhere near as accurate as this? Obviously AV makes it harder.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Shamelessly borrowed from John Rentoul, but I'm sure that some on here will enjoy this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/03/health-food-fads-quinoa-guilt-free-diet

is gold-dust for me.

Imagine what @SeanT might do with that quote.

• Options
    stodge said:

Unfortunately, Mike, I retain my record of having voted for the winner in every LD leadership election contest except 2006 when I didn't vote as Mrs Stodge and I were travelling the world.

I remember going to an Internet cafe in Paihia to comment on here about the Dunfermline & West Fife by-election won by Willie Rennie.

One or two predictable comments from the Conservative-inclined on the previous thread - any time anyone uses the words, "cripes", "crikey" or "wowsers" I lose all interest pretty much as I do with any references to the Punic Wars.

Some of said Conservative grouping were wittering on about a 56% turnout - the 2005 Conservative leadership election only managed 61% so not much to get on the collective high horse about there.

I thought Norman Lamb would poll over 40% and lose - the members' poll from earlier in the week was a pretty good guide to the outcome.

Who are you voting for next time? So I can put a long term bet on.
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Skip X ‏@LordSkipVC 2m2 minutes ago
    Tim Farron. Anagram of minor fart. Excellent.
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 33s34 seconds ago
    Liberal Democrat leadership result (by popular vote):
    Farron - 19,137
    Lamb - 14,760
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Lib Dems to win over 8 seats at next GE: 1/3

I'll go 4-11 if any Lib Dem here wants to have a punt.
  • Options

Is this the new - “I was innocently watching badgers on Hampstead Heath” excuse..?
  • Options
    How to lose the next General Election, Part 1: scrap Radio 2.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Also Farron's very public Christianity is going to do more harm than good when it comes to establish a broad appeal.

I find it very hard to associate liberal attitudes and Church attitudes. The two are often very much at odds.

The man's a loon,he wants 60 thousand asylum seekers brought over now without thinking what's it means for people living here,like housing,schools or social services been cut.

We already have six hundred thousand economic migrants in one year with thousands we take in already in asylum case's.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @stephenkb: The problem for Tim Farron is isn't the "slightly to the left of an electable Labour party" market pretty well cornered by the Labour party?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

antifrank said:

is gold-dust for me.

Imagine what @SeanT might do with that quote.

I did wonder whether SeanT had written the article.
  • Options
    England may need a bit of "English summer" to help out this test :P
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    We now have a leader of a Liberal party that didn't vote in favour of same sex marriage and was one of the very few MP's excluded from the coalition.

Very strange choice, any idea what his USP is ?
  • Options
    Sign of how far the party's fallen, this is the video of the grand announcement:

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/621707692231426048
  • Options
    He's unlikely to lose his seat in GE2020?
    john_zims said:

We now have a leader of a Liberal party that didn't vote in favour of same sex marriage and was one of the very few MP's excluded from the coalition.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    john_zims said:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Scott_P said:

@stephenkb: The problem for Tim Farron is isn't the "slightly to the left of an electable Labour party" market pretty well cornered by the Labour party?

And the Conservatives are to the right on economic policy.

But only Lib Dems are to the left on Social policy and to the right on Economic policy - although Tim Farron may try to change this.
  • Options
    The candidates weren't there??? That isn't something I'd have tweeted.
    Danny565 said:

Sign of how far the party's fallen, this is the video of the grand announcement:

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/621707692231426048

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2015
    JohnLoony said:

But what was the result? I still can't find the result anywhere. Have they even announced it yet? I don't want to be fobbed off, insulted and patronised with a summary, a headline, or percentages. I want to know the result.

Remember the Tory primary in Rochester & Strood where they refused to announce the actual voting figures? They just released percentages. There was a suspicion that so few people took part that releasing the voting figures would have been embarrassing. As far as I'm aware those figures still haven't been published.
  • Options
    @Scott_P

'@stephenkb: The problem for Tim Farron is isn't the "slightly to the left of an electable Labour party" market pretty well cornered by the Labour party?'

It's the Labour party with the add on of love for all things EU.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

Typical of the Liberal Bigots we keep hearing about, who shout you down and think you are evil if you disagree with them on SSM, to elect him as their leader.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    EPG said:

But they voted Charles Kennedy twice?

Not sure how "right" or "left" are very relevant to the Lib Dems. The best campaigner won.
    Considering he started as overwhelming favourite I'm not sure 56% demonstrates that great of a campaigner. Poor start to an irrelevant leadership.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Farron: 19,137
    Lamb: 14,760
  • Options
    Do we know how the MPs voted? Just out of curiosity.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Plato said:

MPs supporting Farron: John Pugh, Greg Mulholland, Mark Williams.

http://timfarron.co.uk/en/article/2015/1091644/5-more-senior-lib-dems-back-farron-for-leader

Tom Brake supported Norman Lamb:

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/12943194.I_won_t_stand_as_leader_but_I_back_Norman_Lamb_says_Tom_Brake/

That leaves Alistair Carmichael and Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Both secured more votes in their own constituencies at the last general election. Instead of touring the country, perhaps they should have stayed at home signing up their local voters.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    john_zims said:

We now have a leader of a Liberal party that didn't vote in favour of same sex marriage and was one of the very few MP's excluded from the coalition. Very strange choice, any idea what his USP is ?

Why do you Tories get everything so wrong, Mr Zims?

Just comes naturally, I suppose.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Plato said:

Well at least 12.5% of the LibDem parliamentary party voted for himself..! :lol:
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    FPT:
    rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

He's not accusing it of being too lax. He's accusing it of being illegal.

The problem is that the different duties and requirements of the ECB contradict themselves (as various parts of most constitutions do, for that matter).

So: it is illegal for the ECB to prop up an insolvent bank.

But does that mean that at the first sign a bank *might* be insolvent, that the ECB pulls the plug? If so, then private sector investors will flee the bank if they think it might be... And then it will be...

In other words, is the ECB's financial stability mandate more important than its insolvency one? Or its monetary funding one? It seems that either option will involve the directors of the ECB potentially acting illegally, and therefore they need to be clear and open in their reasoning.

Like in most crises, it is an adhocracy, with people trying their hardest to solve a crisis, given political and legal constraints. I highly doubt that any of the directors of the ECB, or the ECB itself, could be in legal trouble because not doing what they did is as likely to be "illegal" as what they did do...
    One would imagine that TFEU is the most important, being the document it is all based on, and its is the one that is being conspicuously broken by just about everyone!

Returning to your earlier comments, I was indeed saying that the EU was behaving unlawfully, but to answer your narrower point, I don't think either was right, the bailout is neither to strict not to lax, its too illegal, it should not have happened, the banks that took the stupid commercial decisions should have paid the penalties, and if they went under the governments should have assumed the mortgages, which would have worked out dramatically cheaper that supporting the banks so they could support the mortgages. The IMF had no business giving a bail out as its against their founding principles to bail out an insolvent country, the EU/ECB had no business giving a bail out its counter to TFEU 123 & 125.

Politicians, eurocrats and the powers that be expect citizens to follow the laws, and are increasingly draconian and uncompromising when people do not, and yet these same people expect the voters to look the other way when they lie and swindle and break their word, and their agreements. Call me a bit old fashioned, I am looking for more integrity in public life, the reason I despise Cameron is because he is a snake oil salesman, he spins any crap he thinks he cant get away with before then all those promises suddenly become aspirations after the election, immigration under 100k anyone ? The EU has the same problem only they don't even pretend.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

How to lose the next General Election, Part 1: scrap Radio 2.

we used to get this in local government, when it was far too fat for its own good. The officer core would never offer up savings that were back office, it was always the most politically sensitive (and headline grabbing) options.

The BBC has a long way to go before it starts to get serious.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Smithson = electoral kryptonite.

Mr. Smithson, you're not Lembit Opik in disguise, are you? :p

Miss Plato, the Duke of Edinburgh's in a uniquely bulletproof position, and it's entertaining to see him make use of it.
  • Options
    Michael Portillo got 19,137 votes in 1997.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The Tories must be rubbing their hands at the possibility of the LDs being led by Farron and Labour by Corbyn.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, potentially UKIP opportunity, though one suspects Farage will once again fail to take advantage.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

Remember the Tory primary in Rochester & Strood where they refused to announce the actual voting figures? They just released percentages. There was a suspicion that so few people took part that releasing the voting figures would have been embarrassing. As far as I'm aware those figures still haven't been published.
    Same also with the Veritas party leadership election, in which Winston McKenzie came third with 40 votes. The result was announced in percentages but the numbers were leaked anyway.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Funny we keep hearing how the Lib Dems have gained members. Chris Huhne got more votes than either of those when he lost the last leadership election.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Mr. JS, potentially UKIP opportunity, though one suspects Farage will once again fail to take advantage.

Will Farage be in charge by the next election? I can see him standing down either way after the referendum.
  • Options
    @PClipp

'Why do you Tories get everything so wrong, Mr Zims?'

Perhaps you can remind us of which ministerial position Farron held in the coalition.

Is Wikipedia entry wrong?

He voted in favour of allowing marriage between two people of same sex at the second reading of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill but he voted not to timetable the debate on the Bill, which would have made it much more difficult to pass had the House of Commons agreed with his position;[24] and he did not vote for equal marriage on the third reading of the Bill.[25]

He also voted against the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations, which for the first time imposed a general restriction on businesses discriminating against people on the grounds of sexual orientation.[26]

• Options
    Mr. JEO, I can't.

He avoided government to help his prospects of leadership. He's not going to give it up, anymore than Miliband could after his occupational fratricide.

Slightly random one question historical quiz: which significant historical figure had ocular heterochromia (different coloured eyes)?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Miss Plato, the Duke of Edinburgh's in a uniquely bulletproof position, and it's entertaining to see him make use of it.

I would love to hear the D of E's views on the Greek crisis !!
  • Options
    The Divisional Court (Bean LJ & Collins J) will tomorrow hand down judgment in Regina (Davis MP) v Secretary of State for the Home Department. The fate of the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014, an enactment said by the government to be vital for the protection of national security, hangs in the balance...
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    PClipp said:

john_zims said:

We now have a leader of a Liberal party that didn't vote in favour of same sex marriage and was one of the very few MP's excluded from the coalition. Very strange choice, any idea what his USP is ?

Rather like ... governing ... don't you think?
  • Options
    calum said:

I would love to hear the D of E's views on the Greek crisis !!
    A member of the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg would no doubt have suitably Germanic views on the subject.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, Windsor*.

Hell of a typo you had there ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Labour meltdown over 'horrific' surge in support for hard-left candidate Jeremy Corbyn

"One shadow cabinet minister told MailOnline: 'What a horrific week for the sensible people in the Labour Party.'

Senior Labour MPs have publicly warned that a victory for Mr Corbyn would spell disaster for the party.

Shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt said the party needed 'shock treatment' to regain its senses or it could 'disappear and die' like Woolworths.

Chuka Umunna, the shadow business secretary who pulled out of the leadership race, today slammed Mr Corbyn's bid to drag the party further to the left."

True to his word, Corbyn has certainly livened up the leadership race.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3164016/Labour-meltdown-horrific-surge-support-hard-left-leadership-candidate-Jeremy-Corbyn.html
  • Options

Mr. Antifrank, Windsor*.

Hell of a typo you had there ;)

Oh, if we're talking by marriage, a member of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha*.

*renamed 100 years ago for entirely political reasons.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, a chap's got the right to change his name, why not a family?
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Slightly random one question historical quiz: which significant historical figure had ocular heterochromia (different coloured eyes)?

Alexander the Great.

EDIT: Didn't people used to say as he walked by, "Eye! Eye! There goes Alexander"
  • Options
    Mr. Disraeli, huzzah! Yes, indeed, 'twas he.

I've just started re-reading a book about what happened after he died. Very interesting period.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Opposed tuition fees and invading Syria. Obviously highly capable given how he has built his majority.

Sensible move, distances them from Clegg.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    PClipp said:

john_zims said:

You mean like err the General Election?!?!?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    A few pictures appearing of Farron's teen pop past.

A-hem...
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited July 2015
    john_zims said:

@PClipp 'Why do you Tories get everything so wrong, Mr Zims?'
    Perhaps you can remind us of which ministerial position Farron held in the coalition.
    Is Wikipedia entry wrong?
    He voted in favour of allowing marriage between two people of same sex at the second reading of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill but he voted not to timetable the debate on the Bill, which would have made it much more difficult to pass had the House of Commons agreed with his position;[24] and he did not vote for equal marriage on the third reading of the Bill.[25] He also voted against the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations, which for the first time imposed a general restriction on businesses discriminating against people on the grounds of sexual orientation.[26]

As you know perfectly well, Mr Zims, Tim Farron was a backbencher, not a minister. There ought, of course, to have been more Lib Dem ministers, and fewer Tories - the Coalition Government would have been much more successful if there had been. But Cameron would have been stabbed in the back by his own side if he had signed that one off.

Your citation from Wikipedia is clear enough: that Tim did vote in favour of the Same Sex Couples Marriage Bill - so I don´t know what you are complaining about. His vote in favour of further time and deliberation was fair enough. People with religious principles are probably in a minority nowadays - but that is no reason to go stamping all over their sensibilities. I´m not religious myself, but I can quite appreciate how they - a minority - would feel in the face of a choice between their principles and their livelihood.

The last thing we want is more bullying from the government. It is good that we do have some people who think for themselves.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    @rcs1000

I like that word. Let me coin a definition.

adhocracy - Government by Lib Dems
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    stodge said:

My estimate of the turnout was 78%. In any event the grand total of 134,446 people voted for Cameron. Remind me again how many voted for Farron?
  • Options
    Now this will excite some on here:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3aae1b92-2bac-11e5-8613-e7aedbb7bdb7.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product#axzz3g3eW0lrv

"Britain’s biggest trade union could switch sides and campaign to leave the EU if David Cameron uses his renegotiation with Brussels to weaken workers’ rights, its leader says."
  • Options
    Chuka. "I’m sorry, the left of our party have no monopoly on the desire to build a fairer and more equal society.”

Should be " I’m sorry, the left have no monopoly on the desire to build a fairer and more equal society.”
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Mr. Disraeli, huzzah! Yes, indeed, 'twas he.

I've just started re-reading a book about what happened after he died. Very interesting period.

Have you read "The Generalship of Alexander the Great" by JFC Fuller (Wordsworth Military Library) ?

Whilst lavish in its praise of Alexander's military skills, it also opened my eyes to how Philip had created such a superb Macedonian military. In particular, the excellent Corps of Engineers, which Philip realised would be needed for a long campaign.

In fact, he (EDIT: Alexander) used the engineering skills of his army to defeat the Thessalians without a battle!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    So Farron wins as expected, though a solid total for Lamb too. Probably the best choice, Farron is an excellent campaigner and more likely to win tactical votes

The result also provided some good news for pollsters at last, the 56.5%-43.5% margin was almost exactly the same as the LD Network members poll earlier this week
  • Options
    antifrank said:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3aae1b92-2bac-11e5-8613-e7aedbb7bdb7.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product#axzz3g3eW0lrv

"Britain’s biggest trade union could switch sides and campaign to leave the EU if David Cameron uses his renegotiation with Brussels to weaken workers’ rights, its leader says."

They clearly won't, because a Britain outside the EU will be worse for workers' rights prospectively*.

So why are they saying it, and whom does it serve?

* fancy way of saying going forward
  • Options
    Good evening everyone
    Off topic. When is the cut off date for joining Labour and being able to vote in the leadership election?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Good to see Farron elected. Could never have voted for a party led by Lamb.

Hopefully he will draw a line under the Coalition era and reverse the disastrous OrangeBook experiment.
  • Options
    Why would workers' rights automatically be weakened if the UK leaves the EU?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Jonathan said:

Hopefully he will draw a line under the Coalition era and reverse the disastrous OrangeBook experiment.

Yes, the sandals are back with a vengeance!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The sandals won elections.
  • Options
    James Kirkup: - My failed attempt to destroy Jeremy Corbyn, Labour and British democracy
    Yes, it was me. I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

"Indeed, some people might just have concluded that an article that referred to Mr Corbyn as a “bearded socialist voter repellent” might not have been written in deadly earnest. They might have shrugged and considered the article a joke, or at least an attempt at one.

Not our chums at the Guardian though. No, they saw through my feeble gags and spotted me for the dangerous authoritarian that I am. My attempt to destroy British democracy was rumbled. Curses, foiled again, etc etc."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11744789/My-failed-attempt-to-destroy-Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-and-British-democracy.html
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/621730035922173953
    taffys said:

A few pictures appearing of Farron's teen pop past.

A-hem...

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    EPG said:

antifrank said:

They clearly won't, because a Britain outside the EU will be worse for workers' rights prospectively*.

So why are they saying it, and whom does it serve?

* fancy way of saying going forward
    I don't think you can assume that, Owen Jones in the Guardian certainly doesn't. Also you wont be able to nationalise the railway or the Royal Mail while in the EU so that would be another promise to your voters gone west.
  • Options
    So the UK won't be paying towards the Eurozone bailout despite hysteria from some conspiracy theorists here always expecting the worst outcome: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33556085

Expecting a retraction/congratulation to Osborne and Cameron in 1 ... 2 ... never ...
  • Options
    If you ever doubted whether the British Left had a sense of humour, the last 24 hours should have resolved the issue for you. Yesterday, I (along with a publicity-shy junior colleague) published an article about Jeremy Corbyn. You may have read it here.

Or you may have read about it in the Guardian. That newspaper seemed very taken with the piece, and has, at the time of writing, published three stories of its own about ours.

James Kirkup: - My failed attempt to destroy Jeremy Corbyn, Labour and British democracy
    Yes, it was me. I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

"Indeed, some people might just have concluded that an article that referred to Mr Corbyn as a “bearded socialist voter repellent” might not have been written in deadly earnest. They might have shrugged and considered the article a joke, or at least an attempt at one.

Not our chums at the Guardian though. No, they saw through my feeble gags and spotted me for the dangerous authoritarian that I am. My attempt to destroy British democracy was rumbled. Curses, foiled again, etc etc."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11744789/My-failed-attempt-to-destroy-Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-and-British-democracy.html

• Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The sandals won elections.
    I must have missed the era of Prime Minister Kennedy. When was that?
  • Options

So the UK won't be paying towards the Eurozone bailout despite hysteria from some conspiracy theorists here always expecting the worst outcome: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33556085

Expecting a retraction/congratulation to Osborne and Cameron in 1 ... 2 ... never ...

Ah! But would our friends in the EU have caved in without the "Sword of Brexit" hanging over their heads to concentrate their minds? :smiley: