Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot: The art of changing boundaries

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot: The art of changing boundaries

In my last post I spent some time looking at the likely impact of the impending boundary changes on the numbers of seats in different regions and the potential impact on the seat numbers of different parties.  In this post I shall look at how the detail of the boundary review might assist or hinder the different parties.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    First?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    FPT:
    @Chameleon

There are two mechanisms by which Grexit could lead to other countries leaving the Eurozone and/or the end of the whole "project".

1. If peripheral countries (Spain, Portugal and Italy) are no longer able to fund themselves in the market, it could force them to out of the Euro.

2. If Greece is successful outside the Euro, then it will inevitably increase the political pressure on periphery governments. This is a major, but longer term threat to the Eurozone. Imagine if you are sat in Portugal, and you see Greece going from strength-to-strength: hard not to see pressure to leave the Euro. And if Spain or Italy started heading for the exit, it could lead to the eventual destruction of the Eurozone.

The bonds of Spain, Italy and Portugal are all down today. However, the move is relatively modest: Italian and Spanish 10 year interest rates have moved out 0.2%, while Portugal has increased 0.3%. How much of this is due to ECB Quantitative Easing, and how much to improved fundamentals is another matter altogether. It is worth noting that government debt-to-GDP peaked in 2013 in Portugal, and has almost certainly peaked in Spain. Therefore, while those countries are undoubtedly still vulnerable, the issue is much less acute than in 2011. Furthermore, if investors believe that the ECB will backstop peripheral debt through QE, then they (the periphery) probably will have little difficulty in funding themselves. Therefore, in the near term at least, it would seem unlikely that Grexit would cause other to exit the Euro through being unable to fund themselves.

The second issue, to my mind, is the much more important one. A successful Greece would cause enormous problems for incumbent governments in Spain, Italy and Portugal. Conversely, of course, if Grexit is disastrous for the Greek people, then it will dramatically reduce the likelihood of others choosing to go down that route.

My personal belief is that if Greece was run by a sensible, economically literate, politically centre-right leader like (say) Margaret Thatcher, then it would prosper outside the Eurozone and probably mark the beginning of the end of the Eurozone. But Alex Tsipiras, as I've said many times before on this board, is not that man. SYRIZA is full of people that believe that Hugo Chavez and Christine Kirchner are the economic role models to follow. That hasn't worked out well for Venezuela and Argentina, and it won't work out well for Greece either.

This analysis could be completely wrong, but I don't see Grexit as bringing the end to the Eurozone much closer. Indeed, because - as you allude to - it increases integration and backstopping of debt, it may make it less likely.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,326
    Mortimer said:

First?

....past the post?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

But Alex Tsipiras, as I've said many times before on this board, is not that man.

Tsipras = Leonidas
    Juncker = Xerxes
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    The other 50 seats should be allocated 1 seat for every 2% of the national vote obtained
  • Options
    isam said:

The other 50 seats should be allocated 1 seat for every 2% of the national vote obtained

I think that's a very sensible system.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    FPT

@Cyclefree

'What are the chances - if the Greeks vote yes - that the deal then offered to them is even worse - from their perspective - than the one they thought they were voting on?'

It'll be the same or better (there has already been some discussion about debt write-off), absolutely nothing will get in the way of the EU ideology.

If it's worse there will have to be another referendum as the Greeks will have voted on what was on offer last week.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Thanks

Would mean Sturgeon Bennett and Farage in the HofC and I think the people who voted for their parties would feel better represented

I owe you £58.50 btw send me your details and i will pay pay

Where is @Neil???
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

The MPs that no town or counties wanted - great.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Thanks

Would mean Sturgeon Bennett and Farage in the HofC and I think the people who voted for their parties would feel better represented

I owe you £58.50 btw send me your details and i will pay pay

Where is @Neil???
    Wouldn't mean Sturgeon. If Sturgeon wanted to be in the Commons, she could have stood and would have won.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Haha don't get all Mike Smithson ' people are voting for an individual candidate...' Etc etc

Few people know who their MP is

I was a teller in Dagenham and a lot of the voters though I was the ukip candidate and were wishing me well!

Ukip would still only have 1% of MPs for 13% of the vote but it is at least a step in the right direction
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    isam said:

I propose that the Additional member System be used because it is fairer to the smaller parties.

It is already in use for the London Assembly (and I believe for a few other minor assemblies elsewhere the UK)
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Haha don't get all Mike Smithson ' people are voting for an individual candidate...' Etc etc

I was a teller in Dagenham and a lot of the voters though I was the ukip candidate and were wishing me well!

Ukip would still only have 1% of MPs for 13% of the vote but it is at least a step in the right direction
    UKIP may have got 12.5% of the vote, but the converse of that is that an average of 87.5% of people didn't want to be represented by UKIP as their local candidate. Maybe UKIP should think about why that is and address that, rather arguing futilely that the electoral system should be changed to their benefit?
  • Options
    STV, man!

If it's good enough for Northern Ireland, why not the rest of the (supposedly) UK?
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

But what happens if 51 parties stand and they all get slightly less than 2% of the vote nationwide???
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    FPT
    (and before I read antifranks post)

rcs1000 says ''2. If Greece is successful outside the Euro, ''

There is no reason why Greece should not continue to positively exist outside the euro. But that does not equate to successful. Will all the other weaker countries want to see the regularly devalued currency that the Greeks would have to deal with? Refusing to face up to economic facts of life and faced with ultra heavy borrowing costs would be a recipe for devaluation and financial difficulty for the Greeks.
    Devaluation is just austerity by another name. Its not the euro or austerity which has caused the Greek problems - it is their ill disciplined, indeed corrupt, approach to financial affairs.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

But what happens if 51 parties stand and they all get slightly less than 2% of the vote nationwide???
    I guess there would be 600 MPs in that case
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    I was slightly surprised by antifrank's previous post because it seemed to suggest that the effect of the boundary changes and a seat reduction would be modest (apologies if I did not catch all the nuances). This post seems to me to indicate that Labour could be seriously disadvantaged by such a move.

The key point is the blocks. Where the Tories have blocks (for example in the south east and, now in the south west) these constituencies tend to be underrepresented and oversized so a reduction in overall seats has a very modest effect. Labour seats, in contrast, seem to be undersized when one looks at registered voters. This perhaps reflects the more volatile electoral roll in cities and the number of people living in them who are not eligible to vote but whatever the reasons are on the current criterion Labour are significantly overrepresented and will lose out significantly.

The consequence for me is that Labour is likely to start the next election campaign more like 120 seats behind than the 98 they are currently, a situation almost as bad as Cameron faced in 2010 (he was in fact 158 seats behind ). Without a significant recovery in Scotland even getting to largest party is going to be a major ask for Labour.

Once again Labour, in choosing their leader, need to think about that. To gain sole power they will need to win nearly 100 Tory seats. A leader who might be able to do that is the priority. Getting a leader that is strong in the 232 seats they already hold is a survival strategy but not a winning one.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

UKIP may have got 12.5% of the vote, but the converse of that is that an average of 87.5% of people didn't want to be represented by UKIP as their local candidate. Maybe UKIP should think about why that is and address that, rather arguing futilely that the electoral system should be changed to their benefit?
    87.5% didn't want it and 98.5% didn't get it

Wouldn't matter to me if ukip gained or lost, just seems ridiculous that so many people are not represented. this way it still grossly misrepresents the nations diversity of party choice but at least acknowledges it
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited June 2015
    DavidL said:

I was slightly surprised by antifrank's previous post because it seemed to suggest that the effect of the boundary changes and a seat reduction would be modest (apologies if I did not catch all the nuances). This post seems to me to indicate that Labour could be seriously disadvantaged by such a move.

The key point is the blocks. Where the Tories have blocks (for example in the south east and, now in the south west) these constituencies tend to be underrepresented and oversized so a reduction in overall seats has a very modest effect. Labour seats, in contrast, seem to be undersized when one looks at registered voters. This perhaps reflects the more volatile electoral roll in cities and the number of people living in them who are not eligible to vote but whatever the reasons are on the current criterion Labour are significantly overrepresented and will lose out significantly.

The consequence for me is that Labour is likely to start the next election campaign more like 120 seats behind than the 98 they are currently, a situation almost as bad as Cameron faced in 2010 (he was in fact 158 seats behind ). Without a significant recovery in Scotland even getting to largest party is going to be a major ask for Labour.

Once again Labour, in choosing their leader, need to think about that. To gain sole power they will need to win nearly 100 Tory seats. A leader who might be able to do that is the priority. Getting a leader that is strong in the 232 seats they already hold is a survival strategy but not a winning one.

I've indicated the worst bits for Labour in this post. I did have additional sections which explain where Labour will salvage something back, but the post had got ludicrously long, so I've saved them for another time.

I'm aware that I'm ridiculously long-winded in these posts.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Afternoon again all :)

For all the derisive comments about Tsipras and SYRIZA on here of late (and they seem to forget New Democracy governed Greece for a significant period in the noughties and seemed to have done nothing to alleviate the economic problems affecting the country) I'm curious as to the analogy with Cameron and the EU Referendum.

IF Cameron is unable to get a deal with the rest of the EU, he will presumably call the referendum as a straight in/out vote and propose we vote NO and therefore leave the EU.

Tsipras hasn't got a deal, he's having a referendum and he wants people to vote NO, to in effect leave the Eurozone.

To accentuate the parallels even further, there's a fair chance that in both cases the result will be YES thus leaving both leaders mortally wounded.

Are we going to see the likes of Douglas Carswell fly over to Athens and stand alongside Tsipras supporting a NO vote next Sunday ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    antifrank said:

DavidL said:

I've indicated the worst bits for Labour in this post. I did have additional sections which explain where Labour will salvage something back, but the post had got ludicrously long, so I've saved them for another time.

Not at all. They are very interesting. And it is nice to talk about something other than Greece.

Where do you think Labour might claw seats back? Presumably on the outskirts of larger towns taking in some of the country/suburban areas but not enough to make the seat too marginal?
  • Options
    edited June 2015

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

62% of people didn't vote for Dave's party, yet railway-hating Dave has a majority in Parliament?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    isam said:

Wouldn't matter to me if ukip gained or lost, just seems ridiculous that so many people are not represented. this way it still grossly misrepresents the nations diversity of party choice but at least acknowledges it
    Everyone is represented, you're just represented by the MP who won your area, whether they were your first choice or not. If you turn up at your local MPs surgery he won't mystically divine that you voted for another party and turn you away.

If we're voting for parties we should have fully fledged PR, but we're voting for local representatives so this is a bizarre sticking plaster.
  • Options

isam said:

Everyone is represented, you're just represented by the MP who won your area, whether they were your first choice or not. If you turn up at your local MPs surgery he won't mystically divine that you voted for another party and turn you away.

If we're voting for parties we should have fully fledged PR, but we're voting for local representatives so this is a bizarre sticking plaster.
    Ok let's not argue you think what you like xxxxx
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Except that say assuming Farage stood in a constituency and lost then he would I presume not be one of the extra 6 or so kipper MPs. Or could an MP stand, be defeated, but be undefeated by being in a list? Would a leader be so confident that he would refuse to fight a seat but put himself on top of the list?
    Who would qualify for this list? The closest losers from the constituencies? A loser becomes a winner. Rejected face to face but propped up by being top of a party pecking order. Or party line toeing sycophants?
    This is a strange 'good idea'. Like all PR notions it has feet of clay.
  • Options

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

62% of people didn't vote for Dave's party, yet railway-hating Dave has a majority in Parliament?
    Because his party was the most popular in a majority of seats. Shocking suggestion I know but maybe other parties can learn from Dave and his party and try and be more popular rather than try and get the rules changed?

Except we know a popular opinion here is that Dave is the wrong'un and he needs to learn from everyone who lost instead.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:
    @Chameleon

There are two mechanisms by which Grexit could lead to other countries leaving the Eurozone and/or the end of the whole "project"....

We still have the basic problem that the treaties setting up the Eurozone (and the TFEU which now governs the EU) include no ability for a member state to be expelled from either.

Since Greece is a signatory of the treaties they would have to be amended with the consent of Greece which means she cannot be expelled against her wishes.

I posted a link to this paper yesterday but would strongly recommend people read it before talking about Grexit either from the Eurozone or the EU.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scplps/ecblwp10.pdf
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Except that say assuming Farage stood in a constituency and lost then he would I presume not be one of the extra 6 or so kipper MPs. Or could an MP stand, be defeated, but be undefeated by being in a list? Would a leader be so confident that he would refuse to fight a seat but put himself on top of the list?
    Who would qualify for this list? The closest losers from the constituencies? A loser becomes a winner. Rejected face to face but propped up by being top of a party pecking order. Or party line toeing sycophants?
    If have thought the losing candidates with the most votes seems simple and fair enough in equal sized constituencies
  • Options
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

Not at all. They are very interesting. And it is nice to talk about something other than Greece.

Where do you think Labour might claw seats back? Presumably on the outskirts of larger towns taking in some of the country/suburban areas but not enough to make the seat too marginal?
    In essence the whole structure of boundary reviews is in a format (and rightly so) that tends to put Labour support into single constituencies, maximising their seat count in their weakest areas. I'll go into this in more detail in my next post. I'm afraid I'm rushing for a train now.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015
    OT

Amazing stuff at Durham. Yorks 510-6 so far with Johnny Bairstow 194no and old favourite Tim Bresnan 150 no
  • Options
  • Options

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Because his party was the most popular in a majority of seats. Shocking suggestion I know but maybe other parties can learn from Dave and his party and try and be more popular rather than try and get the rules changed?

Except we know a popular opinion here is that Dave is the wrong'un and he needs to learn from everyone who lost instead.
    Please! I like America the Tory Party!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited June 2015
    fpt:
    rcs1000 said:

My personal belief is that if Greece was run by a sensible, economically literate, politically centre-right leader like (say) Margaret Thatcher, then it would prosper outside the Eurozone and probably mark the beginning of the end of the Eurozone. But Alex Tsipiras, as I've said many times before on this board, is not that man. SYRIZA is full of people that believe that Hugo Chavez and Christine Kirchner are the economic role models to follow. That hasn't worked out well for Venezuela and Argentina, and it won't work out well for Greece either.

On the other hand if even Syriza manage to make a go of it, it would show what an utter catastrophe the EU has been for national economies!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Juncker's heart bleeds for the greeks:

"I am particularly sad by what Europe saw last Saturday. In one night, Europe suffered a major blow, and goodwill was flown to the wind. Egotism, tactical gains, populist gains took precedence over other aspects."

BAZINGA
  • Options
    Indigo said:

fpt:

rcs1000 said:

On the other hand if even Syriza manage to make a go of it, it would show what an utter catastrophe the EU has been for national economies!
    Madness...? This is Sparta SYRIZA!
  • Options

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Of FFS can we please please please stop this bullshit. Tories were only whining less than a week ago that Labour were trying to say that the government didn't have a mandate because 63% of the population didn't vote for them, and now have the brass neck to come and make exactly the same argument about the kippers.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"I am particularly sad by what Europe saw last Saturday. In one night, Europe suffered a major blow, and goodwill was flown to the wind. Egotism, tactical gains, populist gains took precedence over other aspects."

BAZINGA

"You are generous as you are divine, oh EU President of Presidents. Such an offer only a madman would refuse. But the, uh, the idea of kneeling, it's- You see, slaughtering all those men of yours has, uh, well it's left a nasty cramp in my leg, so kneeling will be hard for me."
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Technically the boundary commission is independent, but listens to submissions from interested parties.

the article makes the BC sound much more susceptible to influence than I thought. the York Outer/Central argument for example makes it sounds almost like LABOUR could decide whether it was split into two new seats or not - surely this is not the case?

I had always assumed parties could at best hope to tinker with a ward here or there, but that the vast majority of the BC's proposals would stand. Is this not the case?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,708

Pulpstar said:

BAZINGA

"You are generous as you are divine, oh EU President of Presidents. Such an offer only a madman would refuse. But the, uh, the idea of kneeling, it's- You see, slaughtering all those men of yours has, uh, well it's left a nasty cramp in my leg, so kneeling will be hard for me."
    Cameron really was right about much of an utter disaster Junker would be....
  • Options
    isam said:
    Still using the old Greater Anglia Trains, though!

Romford is now "TfL Rail"

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Romford_station_signage_2015.JPG?uselang=en-gb

No change at Upminster, though, still managed by c2c, with Underground sharing the platforms.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

fpt:

rcs1000 said:

Absolutely agree.

But the policies of SYRIZA/the PSUV/Peronists/and various communists have been tried before, and they have not been pretty.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

OT

Amazing stuff at Durham. Yorks 510-6 so far with Johnny Bairstow 194no and old favourite Tim Bresnan 150 no

Bresnan's highest ever, Bairstow needs another 8!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT:
    @Chameleon

There are two mechanisms by which Grexit could lead to other countries leaving the Eurozone and/or the end of the whole "project"....

We still have the basic problem that the treaties setting up the Eurozone (and the TFEU which now governs the EU) include no ability for a member state to be expelled from either.

Since Greece is a signatory of the treaties they would have to be amended with the consent of Greece which means she cannot be expelled against her wishes.

I posted a link to this paper yesterday but would strongly recommend people read it before talking about Grexit either from the Eurozone or the EU.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scplps/ecblwp10.pdf
    Thank you. I also should comment, at some point, on the Willem Buiter suggestions for how Greece might default and stay inside the Eurozone.
  • Options
    Double Ton up for Bairstow
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Of FFS can we please please please stop this bullshit. Tories were only whining less than a week ago that Labour were trying to say that the government didn't have a mandate because 63% of the population didn't vote for them, and now have the brass neck to come and make exactly the same argument about the kippers.
    I'm one person. You can call me Phil, Philip or Mr Thompson but I'm not "the Tories". Anyway, if UKIP had been more popular they'd have won more seats. It is not the exact same argument - the Tories were popular enough to win the seats, UKIP weren't. It is simple really.

Its far easier to cry foul and blame the system than accept that you lost fair and square, or show some proper introspection into what you did wrong.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

BAZINGA

Cameron really was right about much of an utter disaster Junker would be....
    "The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king EU President can bleed."
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Pulpstar said:

BAZINGA

I wonder if Juncker will reuse his speech during the EU referendum.

First rumours going around that an opinion poll has NO with a 33% lead in the Greek referendum, specifically NO 52%, YES 29%, D/K 19%, it's just a rumour for now, if it exists it should be published tomorrow night at the latest.
    Don't forget that the turnout has to be above 40% in order to be valid, I think that the opposition will try to discourage people from voting if they think they are going to lose.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Indigo said:

I'm one person. You can call me Phil, Philip or Mr Thompson but I'm not "the Tories". Anyway, if UKIP had been more popular they'd have won more seats. It is not the exact same argument - the Tories were popular enough to win the seats, UKIP weren't. It is simple really.

Its far easier to cry foul and blame the system than accept that you lost fair and square, or show some proper introspection into what you did wrong.
    I remember some of the PB Tories PB Hodges PBers mentioning England in 2005, when Howard won the popular vote (just!), yet winning 92 seats fewer than Labour did.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Indigo said:

Shows how flexible your logic is that you pull someone up for conflating your view with that of the Tories as a whole even though the nitpicking only started when you conflated my personal idea with that of ukip as a whole
  • Options

Don't look at me, I'm in the blue team as well. But this argument about how many people didn't vote for someone is long past it's sell by date, and just encourages the Toynbee Tendency to go on pointless protests around Westminster (and these forums) trying to argue the government doesn't have a mandate because of who didn't vote for them, and getting all uptight when we mention how many people didn't vote for Blair's larger majority in 2005!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

First rumours going around that an opinion poll has NO with a 33% lead in the Greek referendum, specifically NO 52%, YES 29%, D/K 19%, it's just a rumour for now, if it exists it should be published tomorrow night at the latest.
    Don't forget that the turnout has to be above 40% in order to be valid, I think that the opposition will try to discourage people from voting if they think they are going to lose.

To what purpose? If the government wants a No then since they're not obliged to make a deal only a Yes will change things. If the opposition thinks they'll lose and No will win then what does abstaining achieve?

The votes will be counted, No will win but it won't be binding. So the government turns around and says no deal - we don't want it and those who voted don't want it and even though it doesn't bind us we agree.
  • Options
    isam said:

Indigo said:

Shows how flexible your logic is that you pull someone up for conflating your view with that of the Tories as a whole even though the nitpicking only started when you conflated my personal idea with that of ukip as a whole
    Have UKIP spokesmen not been calling for electoral reform? You may be calling for it but you're not the only one, so has Farage and Carswell and others. So I'm not conflating you're idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Is @Indigo now UKIP ?

Its far easier to cry foul and blame the system than accept that you (@Indigo)UKIP lost fair and square, or show some proper introspection into what you (@Indigo) UKIP did wrong.
  • Options

Speedy said:

To what purpose? If the government wants a No then since they're not obliged to make a deal only a Yes will change things. If the opposition thinks they'll lose and No will win then what does abstaining achieve?

The votes will be counted, No will win but it won't be binding. So the government turns around and says no deal - we don't want it and those who voted don't want it and even though it doesn't bind us we agree.
    "Children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law. And by Spartan law we will stand and fight... and die. A new age has begun. An age of freedom, and all will know, that 300 Greek MPs gave their last breath to defend it!"
  • Options

Technically the boundary commission is independent, but listens to submissions from interested parties.

the article makes the BC sound much more susceptible to influence than I thought. the York Outer/Central argument for example makes it sounds almost like LABOUR could decide whether it was split into two new seats or not - surely this is not the case?

I had always assumed parties could at best hope to tinker with a ward here or there, but that the vast majority of the BC's proposals would stand. Is this not the case?

What got chopped mainly rerlated to the way the Boundary Commissions will do their work. I'll try to rectify this omission in a future post. I've started by looking at party strategies because it's an easier entry to understanding the impact of the changes. But as you say the final decisions are for the Boundary Commissions.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited June 2015
    "Conservative incumbents are going to need a lot of reassurance before they are going to feel able to support it because their seats are likely to be chopped and changed a lot."

But the only vote on the boundary changes (assuming it sticks at 600 - ie no law change) will be at the end of the process in 2018 - ie AFTER all the Con MPs will know what would happen to their own seats.

The only way there will be a vote before the process starts will be if the law is to be amended to go back to 650 - in which case there will be a vote to make that amendment and then another vote on the end result in 2018.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Bairstow's highest ever now. 210. Partnership 343 for the 7th wicket.

Don't know if that's a record, either nationally or Yorkshire-wise, but if it isn't I'd be surprised.
  • Options

isam said:

Indigo said:

Have UKIP spokesmen not been calling for electoral reform? You may be calling for it but you're not the only one, so has Farage and Carswell and others. So I'm not conflating you're idea.
    Yes you are...never mind we all make mistakes
  • Options
    Re. 600 and original BC recommendations:

Ilford North was going to be expanded a bit, mostly at Ilford South's expense.

But Ilford Town centre in Ilford South was going to be combined with parts of Newham to form what they termed "East Ham and Loxford". Going across the River Roding was bad enough, but they could have at least called it "East Ham and Ilford South/Ilford Town" or something. Loxford is only a tiny part of the current Ilford South, adjoining Barking. Ilford town centre is where the main shopping and cinema/library/town hall are.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    The parties do not have as much power and influence as the post implies.

During the last two reviews (including the aborted one) I've advised several associations on representations to the boundary commission during the review consultation period.

This has only a limited impact for several reasons:

1. The commission is (usually quite staunchly) predisposed towards their original recommendations - a compelling (and non partisan) reason for altering the proposals is required.

2. In a competitive seat there will be other parties making representations that will benefit them, so any proposals must not only be more compelling than the original proposal, but also better than any competing counter-proposals.

3. Even if beneficial proposals are adopted for one seat or in one area, it may have negative knock-on effects in others, so these must be considered when looking to make representations (e.g. you're not only competing with Labour, but possibly also with fellow Tories next door).

So, on balance, most counter-proposals will not be accepted and those that are will often be countered by an opposition counter-proposal adopted elsewhere that has a negative impact.

Finding compelling arguments that are prima face non-partisan can be difficult. As well as the interesting stuff like constituency shapes, electorate sizes and ward boundaries, It also involves a lot of rather dull work researching local commnity ties, access to resources, peoples shopping habits, how rivers, railways and big main roads can or can't be crossed, that sort of stuff. (And then quietly choosing to discard anything that isn't to our advantage...)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Supporters of the status quo (Con and Lab) and opponents (UKIP, Green, Lib Dem) are neither more nor less partisan than the other in their reasons for supporting, or opposing, the status quo.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

If have thought the losing candidates with the most votes seems simple and fair enough in equal sized constituencies
    I'm against party lists, let the people decide with a Single Transferable Vote. One man, one vote. One vote, one value. Keep the constituency link.
    Approximately, of course.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Luton North is safe enough for Labour to absorb another 10,000 rural voters. Luton South would be touch and go if it took in that number.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Sean_F said:

Supporters of the status quo (Con and Lab) and opponents (UKIP, Green, Lib Dem) are neither more nor less partisan than the other in their reasons for supporting, or opposing, the status quo.

Under my system the Tories and labour wouldn't really lose many seats anyway as they'd get 18 and 15 back due to their vote percentages

They'd lose 6 and 3
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Indigo said:

But this argument about how many people didn't vote for someone is long past it's sell by date, and just encourages the Toynbee Tendency to go on pointless protests around Westminster (and these forums) trying to argue the government doesn't have a mandate because of who didn't vote for them, and getting all uptight when we mention how many people didn't vote for Blair's larger majority in 2005!

Not past its sell-by date at all, Mr Indigo. It cannot be said often enough that the Conservatives received the support of only 24% of the electorate at the last election. Worse than that, many people were manipulated into voting for the Tory candidate by the machinations of two foreigners, Crosby and Messina.

So Tories who think they are popular and enjoy the support of the country had better start thinking again.

And lots of us look upon the last Labour government as illegitimate as well. You are quite right to mention the fact.
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I'm against party lists, let the people decide with a Single Transferable Vote. One man, one vote. One vote, one value. Keep the constituency link.
    Approximately, of course.
    Ah, another STV fan! :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Nonetheless the pre-1997 boundary changes still produced a net benefit to the Tories, they started on 343 seats having won only 336 in 1992, Labour on 273 having won 271, so it increased the gap between the 2 parties by +5 seats
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

The parties do not have as much power and influence as the post implies.

During the last two reviews (including the aborted one) I've advised several associations on representations to the boundary commission during the review consultation period.

This has only a limited impact for several reasons:

1. The commission is (usually quite staunchly) predisposed towards their original recommendations - a compelling (and non partisan) reason for altering the proposals is required.

2. In a competitive seat there will be other parties making representations that will benefit them, so any proposals must not only be more compelling than the original proposal, but also better than any competing counter-proposals.

3. Even if beneficial proposals are adopted for one seat or in one area, it may have negative knock-on effects in others, so these must be considered when looking to make representations (e.g. you're not only competing with Labour, but possibly also with fellow Tories next door).

So, on balance, most counter-proposals will not be accepted and those that are will often be countered by an opposition counter-proposal adopted elsewhere that has a negative impact.

Finding compelling arguments that are prima face non-partisan can be difficult. As well as the interesting stuff like constituency shapes, electorate sizes and ward boundaries, It also involves a lot of rather dull work researching local commnity ties, access to resources, peoples shopping habits, how rivers, railways and big main roads can or can't be crossed, that sort of stuff. (And then quietly choosing to discard anything that isn't to our advantage...)

Top post.

As a counterpoint to antifrank's excellent series, do you think you could make a header's worth of material about your experiences?

I think that would be worth serious consideration as a guest post.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

"Fight Against VAT Fraud on eBay & Amazon in the UK"

http://www.vatfraud.org/

I'm surprised no MPs have picked this up - seems an easy way to improve tax receipts with a few rule changes.

HMRC won't move on this unless the politicians push them.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    PClipp..what absolute tosh.. The Tories won..Labour lost..Get used to it and the system is the same for every GE.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    PClipp said:

Indigo said:

But this argument about how many people didn't vote for someone is long past it's sell by date, and just encourages the Toynbee Tendency to go on pointless protests around Westminster (and these forums) trying to argue the government doesn't have a mandate because of who didn't vote for them, and getting all uptight when we mention how many people didn't vote for Blair's larger majority in 2005!

Not past its sell-by date at all, Mr Indigo. It cannot be said often enough that the Conservatives received the support of only 24% of the electorate at the last election. Worse than that, many people were manipulated into voting for the Tory candidate by the machinations of two foreigners, Crosby and Messina.

So Tories who think they are popular and enjoy the support of the country had better start thinking again.

And lots of us look upon the last Labour government as illegitimate as well. You are quite right to mention the fact.
    If I said Labour voters were manipulated by nasty foreigners I'd be slapped down being a horrible nasty right winger myself. For some reason xenophobia seems perfectly acceptable when certain people are the target - Murdoch comes to mind in that category too. (Not a Murdoch fan and don't think I've ever paid a penny to any of his media and press ventures. But the "foreigner" word comes out for him too from people who are usually border-hating bleeding-heart internationalists.)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    PClipp said:

Indigo said:

Quite right. Also Crosby and Messina should stick to music.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,708

PClipp said:

Indigo said:

Quite right. Also Crosby and Messina should stick to music.
    Bring in Stills, Nash and Young as well....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I do wonder if this proposal will end up going through. No reason it shouldn't, in and of itself.

Questions may arise over MPs having different tiers, though, with English votes for English laws. Of course, an English Parliament would resolve those permanently...
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    "Worse than that, many people were manipulated into voting for the Tory candidate by the machinations of two foreigners, Crosby and Messina."

Is this an attempt at a meme? Don't make this a meme, it's silly.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731
    Sean_F said:

Yes.

But we're doing it for the good of the country!
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Indigo said:

Not past its sell-by date at all, Mr Indigo. It cannot be said often enough that the Conservatives received the support of only 24% of the electorate at the last election.
    What % of the electorate voted Labour?

:lol:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731

"Worse than that, many people were manipulated into voting for the Tory candidate by the machinations of two foreigners, Crosby and Messina."

Labour voters are that shallow and easily led?

Its an argument,.....not one I'd make personally.....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JGForsyth: UK-wide minute of silence at noon Friday in memory of those killed in Tunisia, Cameron announces
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Is this an attempt at a meme? Don't make this a meme, it's silly.

Don’t think it’s an attempt at a meme, sounds more like a xenophobic rant from the increasingly deranged Mr Clipp.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Yes.

But we're doing it for the good of the country!
    "No, the country comes first!" - Liz Kendall :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

Under my system the Tories and labour wouldn't really lose many seats anyway as they'd get 18 and 15 back due to their vote percentages

They'd lose 6 and 3
    Hmmm. If I've understood it correctly, surely your system would create two classes of MPs: ones who had constituencies and the related constituency work, and party 'loser' MPs who have no constituency work, but represent just their party. Would they get paid the same?

The alternative would be to let them be MPs for the constituencies they stood at; which would mean a few people would have two MPs, whilst most would have just one. It would also mean that they were 'shadow' MPs. I'm not sure that's democratic.

There are a fair few more issues, including the slightly ridiculous question of how they would be addressed (e..g how would they be referred to in the house: 'As the honourable loser for Derby South said ...')

There is also the issue that this might be detrimental to the nationalist parties, especially if the percentage was taken over the whole of the UK.

Also, would it be highest second-place in terms of votes, or percentage? The former means some smaller constituencies would rarely get a look-in, even if the boundary review goes through.

I'm dead-set against party-list systems, but this is an interesting idea that might get around some of the issues that party-lists have.

I don't have the time, but it should be possible to run the results of the last few general elections through such a scheme to see what they would have produced. It'd be interesting to see how it may have slightly changed things, seat reductions aside.
  • Options
    If labour have relatively more seats thanks to them being smaller then they must lose proportionately more seats than the tories. This is rectifying an anomaly that previously favoured labour.
    If the tories currently hold more seats then any pro rata reduction within their bigger 'blocks' will affect them just the same as Labour.
    Within 'blocks' some seats are marginal so can be lost anyway.
    To further repeat myself I understand that seats need to be grouped within 'county' boundaries.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

PClipp said:

Indigo said:

Not past its sell-by date at all, Mr Indigo. It cannot be said often enough that the Conservatives received the support of only 24% of the electorate at the last election.
    What % of the electorate voted Labour?

:lol:
    Possibly as well not to dwell too long on the LD percentage....

Labour voters are that shallow and easily led?

Its an argument,.....not one I'd make personally.....
    Its an intriguing idea, by implication the manipulation would have been perfectly acceptable if they had been British citizens.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Scott_P said:

@JGForsyth: UK-wide minute of silence at noon Friday in memory of those killed in Tunisia, Cameron announces

It would be fitting if we also remembered that poor man slaughtered in France and the victims of the Kuwaiti mosque bomb.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

BAZINGA

A leaked opinion poll... Are we going to take Greek opinion polls seriously.
    People who make a big point of voting NOTA and spoiling papers can hardly complain if people who do not agree with the referendum or question refuse to back it. If a referendum is a political ploy then why support it?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited June 2015
    PClipp said:

Indigo said:

I support reform of our electoral system, but I still don't accept the 24% argument as a powerful one - as much as I think the voting system should be more proportional as I think the system could be fairer, the British public have shown tacit acceptance of the system by not electing people who want to change it. Therefore there is no moral problem with majorities elected on these numbers, and while the overall percentage voting for one party is low and parties should not get too arrogant, a majority have decreed through silent assent that they accept those outcomes are possible under the system the public have not forced to change.

The 'manipulations' argument is nonsense compared to the above reasonable point though - politics is about manipulating people into voting a certain way, and they did it better this time (or were lucky, or the people would have done it anyway). It's like the rather luducrous argument that debates would sway people and that it was not a good way for peopel to make up their mind( an argument we did see advanced) even as posters and leaflets with even less substance were apparently fine ways for people to make up their minds, as if there is only one proper way for people to do it.

People make up their minds for all sorts of reasons - if they are confinced by 'machinations' of foreigners, so long as no laws are broken then what is the problem? I might not agree with the reasons people decide how to vote, but that's their prerogative.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

It would be fitting if we also remembered that poor man slaughtered in France and the victims of the Kuwaiti mosque bomb.

And Kobane

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33266223
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited June 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

I agree in principle, but in fairness, I'm sure a lot of people in many many other parts of the globe also died in horrible circumstances on the same day and we didn't see it on the news. It's fitting to consider these tragedies together, certainly, but we could so easily just have a moment of silence practically every day for victims somewhere.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,395
    Scott_P said:

I'm not sure what I think about that.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:
    @Chameleon

This analysis could be completely wrong, but I don't see Grexit as bringing the end to the Eurozone much closer. Indeed, because - as you allude to - it increases integration and backstopping of debt, it may make it less likely.

It is interesting to see what has happened to Iceland since the crisis there. That would be a good model for Greece to follow in my view.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

30 Uk citizens are dead - it's the very least that should be done.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

isam said:

Sean_F said:

They'd lose 6 and 3
    Hmmm. If I've understood it correctly, surely your system would create two classes of MPs: ones who had constituencies and the related constituency work, and party 'loser' MPs who have no constituency work, but represent just their party. Would they get paid the same?

The alternative would be to let them be MPs for the constituencies they stood at; which would mean a few people would have two MPs, whilst most would have just one. It would also mean that they were 'shadow' MPs. I'm not sure that's democratic.

There are a fair few more issues, including the slightly ridiculous question of how they would be addressed (e..g how would they be referred to in the house: 'As the honourable loser for Derby South said ...')

There is also the issue that this might be detrimental to the nationalist parties, especially if the percentage was taken over the whole of the UK.

Also, would it be highest second-place in terms of votes, or percentage? The former means some smaller constituencies would rarely get a look-in, even if the boundary review goes through.

I'm dead-set against party-list systems, but this is an interesting idea that might get around some of the issues that party-lists have.

I don't have the time, but it should be possible to run the results of the last few general elections through such a scheme to see what they would have produced. It'd be interesting to see how it may have slightly changed things, seat reductions aside.
    Well yes you could say there would be two classes of MP. I thought about the two MPs for one constituency idea and I agree that it wouldn't be democratic.

I think they should get paid slightly less than a constituency MP but have the same voting rights... Maybe wages topped up by 'short money'?

I'd just say they were the 'representative member for 'party name' '

I said votes if the constituencies were equal size as I thought that's what the reduction to 600 was trying to achieve... If not then % of vote yes
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Did we have a minute's silence for the victims of Harold Shipman?

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

They'd lose 6 and 3

Well yes you could say there would be two classes of MP. I thought about the two MPs for one constituency idea and I agree that it wouldn't be democratic.

I think they should get paid slightly less than a constituency MP but have the same voting rights... Maybe wages topped up by 'short money'?

I'd just say they were the 'representative member for 'party name' '

I said votes if the constituencies were equal size as I thought that's what the reduction to 600 was trying to achieve... If not then % of vote yes
    Seems a lot of extra complication and hassle just to placate Kippers who can't come to terms with their leader being so toxic nationwide that they can't win seats.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Did we have a minute's silence for the victims of Harold Shipman?

I can't defend every instance of "WHATABOUTERY" that your mind can conceive - sorry.

Is it right in this instance? Y/N.

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    When I was a boy my father explained to me how important it was to be the undisputed heavy-weight champion of the world. It was so important that you couldn't expect to win it by just edging a points decision from the judges. Every one had to witness a slam-bang clear-cut win. Our method of choosing a government serves the same purpose. It sorts out temporarily popular, superficial parties with narrow political bases. To be the government you have to be solid, reliable and very popular. If the Liberals or Ukip aspire to power they will have to fight on and win far more than their 12 or 14%.