Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited June 2015 in General

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    It would be shocking if LDs lost Romsey, Cambs. It's not a Labour area at all.

FPT neither UK nor euro area but still EU. Apparently the Danish People's Party did worse overall in urban areas, both in terms of their pre- and post-election support, as well as getting smaller (positive) swings in urban areas. However, the increase in rural support was enough to leave them the largest pro-government party. And will Greenland be the next Scotland? (See https://welections.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/guest-post-denmark-2015/)
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    The Lib Dems have been doing well in recent local elections. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues. Romsey should be safe.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    No amount of self deprecation will mitigate the overwhelming damage this man has caused for himself personally, his family and left leaning causes. Well done Ed Miliband. And now please just disappear.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2015
    tyson said:

No amount of self deprecation will mitigate the overwhelming damage this man has caused for himself personally, his family and left leaning causes. Well done Ed Miliband. And now please just disappear.
    I think you're being harsh there - failing to become PM was probably the best life-present he could give to his children :-)

Seriously (and with apologies to David and to Miliband mère), I wouldn't have wanted to be the child of any frontline politician, let alone the PM. Kid of a backbencher might not have been so deleterious, but it would help if it were for a London (or nearby) constituency. Otherwise having a parent to-ing and fro-ing between homes is still quite disruptive, even if not as totally life consuming.

(Incidentally I regard this as being one of the perils of the increasing youth of our leaders. There are good folk out there who are put off getting into politics, particularly participating at the highest level, because of the impact on family life. And those who wait til the kids have flown the nest, or are at least a bit more independent, are generally regarded as "past it". On the flip side, I'm not entirely sure I want people in power who are prepared to make so many sacrifices in their personal life, they seem to want it too much! Perhaps part of the solution might be having families younger - been a long time since early 20s was the norm among the middle classes - but social trends are against it.)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    tyson said:

He'll end up doing a Hague or IDS and serve under a successor.

Ed Miliband future Foreign Secretary or Work & Pensions Secretary.

You read it here first.

Oooh, I might be able to make a thread out of that
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Seventh.

Like Tottenham.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Patrick McNee has died. When I was 18, I washed his underpants and shirts. (I worked in a laundry at the time).
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Romsey ward ( same boundaries ) was won by Labour in 2014 and this Mays local elections
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

tyson said:

You read it here first.

I think whoever is the new leader should immediately offer him a new shadow cabinet post. Even though he clearly wasn't frontman material, he's still better than a good half or two-thirds of the shadow cabinet (though not sure if that says more about his quality or the low quality of the shadow cabinet!).
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Romsey ward ( same boundaries ) was won by Labour in 2014 and this Mays local elections

I stand corrected. Thank You.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good evening, everyone.

Cheers for this, Mr. Hayfield.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Even though they apparently didn't even stand in the ward last time, going on the success of last week in Mole Valley, I'm calling a LD Gain.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Danny565 said:

tyson said:

You read it here first.

I think whoever is the new leader should immediately offer him a new shadow cabinet post. Even though he clearly wasn't frontman material, he's still better than a good half or two-thirds of the shadow cabinet (though not sure if that says more about his quality or the low quality of the shadow cabinet!).
    The careers of most politicians end in failure. One problem of the cult of youth in politics is that it is difficult to leave the job and gracefully retire (Ed is 46 I think). Hanging around on the backbenches sulking like Ted Heath is one possibility, but a shadow cabinet role is another. Hard to pick the right one though. Preferably not one with a lot of public speaking.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Osborne has told Treasury meetings he may cut the top tax rate back to 40% for those on more than £150,000 in his July budget
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/06/if-osborne-cuts-tax-rates-for-the-rich-he-must-also-curb-their-tax-privileges.html
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    To supplement Tissue Price's excellent article on who might come 2nd in Holyrood 2016. Here's one of my posts from December 2014 where I tried a bit of rudimentary sensitivity analysis around the Greens coming 2nd, the polls have moved on a bit but the principle still applies:

" Holyrood 2016 could lead to the virtual extinction of the mainstream parties in Scotland. I think in 2016 Holyrood the Greens could come second after the SNP. Anyway I drafted this which some of you will find /interesting/prophetic/deluded - at the end of the day we're a betting site: - enjoy!! :

'Don’t waste your SNP regional vote in 2016 – recycle it to the Greens

Based on current polling the SNP would win around 90% of the constituency seats. Therefore, unless the SNP are expected to get around 55-60% of the regional vote in a region, in which case D’Hondt would work in their favour, most of the SNP regional votes are going to be wasted. Therefore, I would expect SNP tactical voting on a grand scale with the Greens being the major beneficiary of these votes. The Greens could end up snapping at SLAB’s heels for second place.

Running the recent YouGov Scotland poll constituency and regional vote figures through the Scotland Votes calculator the results were as follows:

-SNP 67 seats (65 constituency + 2 regional)
    -Labour 34 seats (5 constituency + 29 regional)
    -Conservatives 17 seats (1 constituency + 16 regional)
    -LibDems 2 seats (2 constituency + 0 regional)
    -Greens 8 seats (0 constituency + 8 regional)
    -Independents 1 seat (0 constituency + 1 regional)

Source: http://www.scotlandvotes.com/holyrood

You will note that with a regional vote of 42% the SNP only get two regional seats in comparison to the Greens getting 8 seats on 8%. However if a 5% of the SNP supporters were to vote tactically for the Greens in the regional ballot (taking SNP down to 37% and the Greens to 13%) the results would be as follows:

-SNP 66 seats (65 constituency + 1 regional)
    -Labour 33 seats (5 constituency + 28 regional)
    -Conservatives 15 seats (1 constituency + 14 regional)
    -Greens 13 seats (0 constituency + 13 regional)

If 10% vote tactically for the Greens the results would be:

-SNP 65 seats (65 constituency + 0 regional)
    -Labour 29 seats (5 constituency + 24 regional)
    -Conservatives 14 seats (1 constituency + 13 regional)
    -Greens 19 seats (0 constituency + 19 regional)

If 15% vote tactically for the Greens the result would be:

-SNP 65 seats (65 constituency + 0 regional)
    -Labour 26 seats (5 constituency + 21 regional)
    -Conservatives 14 seats (1 constituency + 13 regional)
    -Greens 22 seats (0 constituency + 22 regional)
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Danny565 said:

tyson said:

You read it here first.

The careers of most politicians end in failure. One problem of the cult of youth in politics is that it is difficult to leave the job and gracefully retire (Ed is 46 I think). Hanging around on the backbenches sulking like Ted Heath is one possibility, but a shadow cabinet role is another. Hard to pick the right one though. Preferably not one with a lot of public speaking.
    Didn't expect to catch you quoting Enoch ;-)

"All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs. "

Or did the basic idea predate him? I can't think of an earlier phrase or quotation to quite the same effect.
  • Options
    calum Also depends on how far the unionist parties vote tactically
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Osborne has told Treasury meetings he may cut the top tax rate back to 40% for those on more than £150,000 in his July budget
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/06/if-osborne-cuts-tax-rates-for-the-rich-he-must-also-curb-their-tax-privileges.html

Probably better to get rid of the clawback of allowances at £105 000 and leave the 45% headine rate untouched. The restoration of the individual tax allowance would smooth out the 61% effective peak rate.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

HYUFD said:

Probably better to get rid of the clawback of allowances at £105 000 and leave the 45% headine rate untouched. The restoration of the individual tax allowance would smooth out the 61% effective peak rate.

Agreed. That's a really weird anomaly that needs ironing out.
  • Options
    Fox Indeed and politically less dangerous at the moment until austerity is over
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    tyson said:

To be fair to the man on the escalator, they both led their parties to slaughter at the polls in May.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,312

HYUFD said:

Yes, you are getting a full house on this one.

This is going to be THE budget of this Parliament. There is going to be major cuts, hopefully a real and substantial increase in the NWM. There will hopefully be some grandstanding announcements on export promotion as well. The idea of all this being overshadowed by a cut in the HRT is such bad politics. Osborne almost never makes the same mistake twice and he has already made this one.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    HYUFD said:

That's a big mistake. It would be far better economically to address the bizarre features of personal allowances and national insurance. It will just cement the Tories as party of the rich meme once again.
  • Options
    I'd like to get my hopes up, but unfortunately Osborne is not stupid enough to make all of Labour's Christmases come at once, by handing yet another tax cut to the fat cats at the same time as slashing tax credits for the poor.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Danny565 said:

tyson said:

You read it here first.

"All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs. "

Or did the basic idea predate him? I can't think of an earlier phrase or quotation to quite the same effect.
    Isn't it a political restatement of the Peter Principle dating from 1969?

I am glad the restoration of the personal allowance is popular, it is the 61% rate that I pay!
  • Options
    DavidL/JEO I know, I could not believe it myself at first, I know Lord Lawson has recommended it and there are economic arguments but politically it would be disastrous while Osborne also announces a slashing of the welfare budget, the defence budget, social care etc Yet, apparently Osborne has told his Treasury team it is a strong possibility according to the FT. Last time the LDs blocked it and only allowed the cut back to 45% and Cameron also had reservations about cutting it all the way back, the Tories had a nosedive in the polls they eventually recovered from. If Labour are led by a better leader than Ed Miliband they may not be as lucky again
  • Options
    Ben Folley ‏@benfolley 19m19 minutes ago
    '@GreenwichLabour nominate @YvetteForLabour with @Corbyn4Leader in 2nd. Burnham was 3rd and Kendall 4th.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL/JEO I know, I could not believe it myself at first, I know Lord Lawson has recommended it and there are economic arguments but politically it would be disastrous while Osborne also announces a slashing of the welfare budget, the defence budget, social care etc Yet, apparently Osborne has told his Treasury team it is a strong possibility according to the FT. Last time the LDs blocked it and only allowed the cut back to 45% and Cameron also had reservations about cutting it all the way back, the Tories had a nosedive in the polls they eventually recovered from. If Labour are led by a better leader than Ed Miliband they may not be as lucky again

Very high profile tax cuts combined with cuts in benefits is something I would find impossible to support frankly. Cuts like that can be made when the budget is in balance and government spending is no longer shrinking as a share of the economy. If everything goes well (it won't) maybe in 2019.
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

That's a big mistake. It would be far better economically to address the bizarre features of personal allowances and national insurance. It will just cement the Tories as party of the rich meme once again.
    Indeed it would be quite possible to bring down the threshold for the 45% rate by reinstating the personal allowance and being tax neutral while removing the anomaly.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Very high profile tax cuts combined with cuts in benefits is something I would find impossible to support frankly. Cuts like that can be made when the budget is in balance and government spending is no longer shrinking as a share of the economy. If everything goes well (it won't) maybe in 2019.
    Too close to the election, better to do it now and get it over with if that's what they have in mind. Just reinstate the personal allowance for over £100k, it's grossly unfair and won't cause terrible headlines.
  • Options

I am astonished. I have been there and I cannot see how it is Labour.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I'd like to get my hopes up, but unfortunately Osborne is not stupid enough to make all of Labour's Christmases come at once, by handing yet another tax cut to the fat cats at the same time as slashing tax credits for the poor.

Is this just another Tory misleading leak like the child poverty numbers.

Leak one thing and then actually do something that isn't as bad, so you look great.
  • Options
    Danny565 A leftwing constituency so not that surprising
  • Options
    edited June 2015

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Too close to the election, better to do it now and get it over with if that's what they have in mind. Just reinstate the personal allowance for over £100k, it's grossly unfair and won't cause terrible headlines.
    As someone who loses my personal allowance but does not pay the 45% rate I strongly agree with you. Politically I think even this is problematic. £12bn of welfare cuts may be necessary but no one should pretend that many of the most disadvantaged in our society will not be hurt by this. It is not the context for tax cuts of any kind. And there is still the not so small matter of the deficit....
  • Options
    Danny565 Well according to the FT he is
  • Options

Danny565 said:

tyson said:

You read it here first.

Isn't it a political restatement of the Peter Principle dating from 1969?

I am glad the restoration of the personal allowance is popular, it is the 61% rate that I pay!
    I think the Peter Principle (people are promoted to the level that first shows their incompetence) is conceptually distinct from "all political lives end in failure". - the Peter Principle is about people getting stuck in place in a position they are not qualified for, whereas Powell's point was more that political endings are unhappy ones - I think you need something more akin to "nobody quits on a high".

Politics is less like Middle Management and more like the Rex Nemorensis - the King-Priest of the Grove, whose station would only last until he is killed by his successor in trial by combat. A lucky one may defeat many challengers, of course, but one at last must succeed unless some other fatal intervention strikes first.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    EPG said:

Is this just another Tory misleading leak like the child poverty numbers.

Leak one thing and then actually do something that isn't as bad, so you look great.

Was the child poverty thing a "Tory misleading leak"? I might be missing something here. I thought it was simply that today was the day that the figures were going to be released (and this was a date known well in advance), the think tanks were predicting a big rise, the press were waiting for the announcement, various charities and campaign groups had got their megaphones out ready, but the good news in the stats turned out to catch people by surprise. I'm not sure what underhandery is being alleged about the affair.
  • Options
    EPG Apparently Osborne is working on the basis that the best time to do it is now after the election otherwise it will never be possible to do it

DavidL I agree better to wait until a surplus
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cutting the rate from 50% to 45% put up the tax take

Cutting it again could (should) do the same
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

May be true Scott but completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Danny565 said:

If ever there was a time to get away with doing something that should be done, but may be a little unpopular, it is when you are riding high in the polls after just having won an election. Especially as it will likely increase the tax take within the life of the parliament anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    45% is the same rate as Germany, Australia and China so less likely to be uncompetitive. Economically it could still have a net benefit, but politically were it to happen there is no doubt it would be a giftwrapped welcome present for the new Labour leader when the same budget contains hefty cuts to welfare and public services
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

Cut it to zero, INFINITE TAX TAKE
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    LOL at the idea that making the rich pay less tax means you get more revenues. And they say the Left are economically illiterate...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

LOL at the idea that making the rich pay less tax means you get more revenues. And they say the Left are economically illiterate...

You do understand the difference between a tax rate and a tax take, right?

• Options
    Watching newsnight, it is just amazing how out of touch most eurozone politicians really are... The think tank guy gets it, even the British media are beginning to get it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Amber Rudd is drowning on Question Time.
  • Options
    WG Yes Burnham not doing too badly at the moment but Suzanne Evans the best so far, Fraser Nelson also on and Rev Giles Fraser (Greek Finance Minister pulled out as in Brussels)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

May be true Scott but completely irrelevant.
    It wouldn't be completely irrelevant if it were true, since bringing down the deficit would be beneficial for non-political purposes.

The "if true" part is a very big "if". I'm not even convinced by the 50% to 45% supposed "increase". In principle it is plausible. I'd be astonished if the revenue-maximising is very far north of 50%. But the data available is very limited - it doesn't let you do a long-term comparison. The 50% rate was in place for a very brief period, and by shifting income between years there would have been attempts to bring income forward to avoid it at the beginning, and then to defer income to avoid it at the end. So I'm not convinced we ever got a clear picture of what the 50% rate would have brought in if left in place.

Peter Diamond and Emmanuel Saez are probably the go-to economists on this sort of thing, though they're writing in an American context. From memory they are thinking 50% to 70% and probably on the higher end of that range, but comparisons are not straightforward because of the different tax systems (e.g. Brits have NI), income distributions, and income elasticities.

The most serious (i.e. not partisan hackery) attempt I've seen at estimating these things is by the blogger Paul Barden. Scott probably wouldn't agree much. But then Barden isn't a professional economist (he is/was an investment banking quant guy) and I don't know what academic consensus in the UK is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

WG Yes Burnham not doing too badly at the moment but Suzanne Evans the best so far, Fraser Nelson also on and Rev Giles Fraser (Greek Finance Minister pulled out as in Brussels)

Giles Fraser is a complete idiot, his ideas have been decimated by the electorate, why are we subject to people like him every week on QT?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Burnham is coming across as a bully, he should take responsibility for the warped tax credit system.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited June 2015
    Curious to see the Tories adopt a redistribution of wealth policy.

Pity they've done it backwards.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

You do understand the difference between a tax rate and a tax take, right?

No he doesn't as he's thicker than whale omelette.
  • Options
    nigel4england It was Brown who introduced tax credits not Burnham and I don't think he is coming across as a bully at all, the issue is making work pay and he had a sensible point about encouraging companies to pay a living wage so welfare does not need to top it up
  • Options
    nigel4england He is standing in for the Greek Finance Minister I believe, actually 3 rightwingers on this panel, Fraser Nelson, Amber Rudd and Suzanne Evans and 2 leftwingers, Burnham and Revd Fraser
  • Options
    For a professional SPAD/Politician, Burnham is really quite poor on the detail of a) economics and b) Europe. Reminds me of that awful video of EdM saying that it was reckless and provocative at a time when negotiations are ongoing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nigel4england It was Brown who introduced tax credits not Burnham and I don't think he is coming across as a bully at all, the issue is making work pay and he had a sensible point about encouraging companies to pay a living wage so welfare does not need to top it up

That is not his point at all, it is the Conservative point of paying a living wage and raising the tax threshold. He is shouting down Amber Rudd, presumably to appeal to Labour supporters in his leadership bid, and all he is doing is looking desperate.
  • Options
    Mortimer He was pro Europe and anti euro and his idea on making work pay was a sound one, the average voter has an attention span of about 10 seconds to get a point across on TV they do not want to be deluged with detail, Cameron certainly does not
  • Options
    nigel4england He is not shouting her down at all, she is just performing the worst of the 3 politicians on the panel, Burnham did mention the importance of rewarding companies which pay a living wage through the tax system
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer He was pro Europe and anti euro and his idea on making work pay was a sound one, the average voter has an attention span of about 10 seconds to get a point across on TV they do not want to be deluged with detail, Cameron certainly does not

But it's not his point at all, it is Cameron's, is he agreeing with him?

Burnham will be a gift for the Tories.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

But the right conclusions have to be grounded in detail and understanding - not convinced he has either. Ken Clarke is the perfect example of combining both with a 10 second sound bite, and to be fair to Cameron, he isn't bad at it either.

• Options
    Well Cameron sometimes agreed with Blair, so what, as the Independent Poll showed this week Burnham has the highest net favourables amongst the public of the leadership contendors and is the biggest threat to the Tories
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nigel4england He is not shouting her down at all, she is just performing the worst of the 3 politicians on the panel, Burnham did mention the importance of rewarding companies which pay a living wage through the tax system

Burnham is a real lightweight, if he is all Labour have to offer then you are looking at the end of them.
  • Options
    As a Tory, my ordered list for preference of the next Labour leader is:

1) Burnham
    2) Corbyn
    3) Cooper
    4) Kendall

Kendall would give me sleepless nights, Cooper might make winning the Midlands marginals harder. Corbyn is articulate. Burnham only wins votes of the people who already vote for Labour in cities and the North.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Really?! She may not be particularly popular on the panel with the audience as part of the Government, but I thought she had been quite impressive, a tough no nonsense politician.

Amber Rudd is drowning on Question Time.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    nigel4england Cameron was called a lightweight when elected opposition leader, Blair was called a lightweight in 1994, they all won
  • Options
    edited June 2015

HYUFD said:

Burnham is a real lightweight, if he is all Labour have to offer then you are looking at the end of them.
    He did sound a bit lightweight on the Greece question admittedly, but I thought he was great on the tax credits and migrant crisis, sounded like he knew his stuff and actually showed some bloody passion on tax credits (unusual for Labour these days).
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

As a Tory, my ordered list for preference of the next Labour leader is:

1) Burnham
    2) Corbyn
    3) Cooper
    4) Kendall

Kendall would give me sleepless nights, Cooper might make winning the Midlands marginals harder. Corbyn is articulate. Burnham only wins votes of the people who already vote for Labour in cities and the North.

There's quite a lot of marginals for Labour to gain in the North still. In any case, the poll earlier this week showed Burnham was very popular among the old, the group where the Tories really slaughtered Labour this time.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

He did sound a bit lightweight on the Greece question admittedly, but I thought he was great on the tax credits and migrant crisis, sounded like he knew his stuff and actually showed some bloody passion on tax credits (unusual for Labour these days).
    He agrees with the Tory position on tax credits, he is a joke.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

He was a bit better on the migrant crisis.

You are a big fan of tax credits, aren't you? Honest question, do you not think it would be better to reduce the size of the state, grow the private sector and observe natural wage growth than top up the salaries of the low paid with an inefficient tax system...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I still think QT isn't getting the political balance of the audience right. More people in favour of immigration than you'd find in a representative sample I think.
  • Options
    Mortimer Burnham is the most dangerous for the Tories by far and I am no Labour voter, he could win both floaters and hold the core, Kendall may win a few floaters but turn off Scotland, Corbyn is too leftwing for floaters and Cooper has little charisma and has also moved to a more leftwing position. As an Independent poll of the general public this week showed Burnham had a net positive v negative rating of +14%, Kendall +6%, Cooper - 6%, Corbyn -15% it is the public as a whole whose opinion will count at the end of the day, not yours
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-andy-burnham-considered-the-contender-most-likely-to-improve-partys-general-election-chances-10340208.html
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

You are a big fan of tax credits, aren't you? Honest question, do you not think it would be better to reduce the size of the state, grow the private sector and observe natural wage growth than top up the salaries of the low paid with an inefficient tax system...
    I'd love it if some of these greedy mega-corporations like McDonald's, raking in millions in profits, were actually made to pay their employees decently and thus make the need for tax credits redundant. Unfortunately, I have no faith in the Tories to have the guts to make them do that, so in the absence of that tax credits definitley should stay.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I still think QT isn't getting the political balance of the audience right. More people in favour of immigration than you'd find in a representative sample I think.

After Leeds in the debates expect it to get more left wing!
  • Options
    Nigel4England Cameron agreed with Blair's opinion on academies, so what?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    AndyJS said:

In any representative sample of hundreds of people you would find dozens in favour of immigration. There are a large number of speakers in the audience (and applause) for those against immigration too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer Burnham is the most dangerous for the Tories by far and I am no Labour voter, he could win both floaters and hold the core, Kendall may win a few floaters but turn off Scotland, Corbyn is too leftwing for floaters and Cooper has little charisma and has also moved to a more leftwing position. As an Independent poll of the general public this week showed Burnham had a net positive v negative rating of +14%, Kendall +6%, Cooper - 6%, Corbyn -15% it is the public as a whole whose opinion will count at the end of the day, not yours
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-andy-burnham-considered-the-contender-most-likely-to-improve-partys-general-election-chances-10340208.html

Based on polling, right? Because that has been really successful recently (remember the plurality 'coin toss'?!)

I'm using the same echo chamber that I used to work out that no-one in the South would vote for EdM, and indeed that waverers would vote Tory because of EdM; even fewer like Burnham.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

However the public as a whole will voice their opinion once again in 2020 and as I said Burnham is a gift for the Tories.
  • Options
    GAHHHHH

ZHC are not a real issue. Get over them, Labour.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nigel4england Cameron was called a lightweight when elected opposition leader, Blair was called a lightweight in 1994, they all won

No they weren't.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

I'd love it if some of these greedy mega-corporations like McDonald's, raking in millions in profits, were actually made to pay their employees decently and thus make the need for tax credits redundant. Unfortunately, I have no faith in the Tories to have the guts to make them do that, so in the absence of that tax credits definitley should stay.
    Megacorporations like mcdonalds make big profits on volume, but actually have very tight margins. Fast food is a viciously competitive market place. if you push labour up above what the market reckons its worth you will see innovation that reduces the amount of labour. Just look how the big supermarkets have reacted to intense pressure, theyve cut back on their biggest cost, staff. Self serve kiosks for fast food are just round the corner.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

I agree, Tesco's even despite their recent troubles make huge profits yet rely on the taxpayer to subsidies wages.
  • Options
    nigel4england Yes, but the tone was already set for 2015 when Labour elected Ed Miliband despite David Miliband clearly the more popular brother amongst the public in the polls, winning popularity polls is not enough in itself to win an election, but picking the less popular candidate as leader puts you on the backfoot from day 1
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

No forcing required; if jobs continue to grow at the current rate for the next couple of years then even the lowest wages will rise purely on the basis of competition for employees. I'm hoping for the NMW to be a moot point.

• Options

Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

I agree, Tesco's even despite their recent troubles make huge profits yet rely on the taxpayer to subsidies wages.
    No they don't. Tesco's pay their wages they pay which I'm sure are at or above minimum wage. There is no automatic subsidy to top up anyone's wages.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Outside the election period, only the truly interested turn up to these things. Even in elections that happens. Look at the hustings for labour leadership. Candidates getting booed because they think that someone on benefits should not get more than someone on £29k salary.

Never in a normal balanced audience would you get that. You wouldnt even get that in an audience of labour only voters. You would get booed out of the hall for suggesting that it was acceptable someone on benefits got more than 20k.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Mortimer More final polls in 2015 had the Tories ahead than Labour, they just failed to predict a majority. Of recent party leaders Major, Blair, Cameron and Brown all led popularity polls prior to their election as leader and all but 1 were elected PM. Hague, IDS, Howard, Ed Miliband did not and all lost. There are also a lot of northern marginals in Bury, Blackpool, Scarborough, Stockton, Pendle, Morecambe, Warrington etc Labour have lost to the Tories Burnham could help win back, and Labour do not actually need to win the South as long as they win the North, the Midlands, Wales and London (if they do a bit better in Scotland too that would help)
  • Options
    O/T

Tonight, The Daily Telegraph reports:

"The BBC Trust will be axed and its powers handed to the communications regulator Ofcom, Westminster sources have revealed.
    For the first time in the broadcaster’s nearly century-long history, it will be governed by an external body, as part of the renegotiation of the BBC Charter.
    The move is expected to be signalled in a Green Paper that will formally trigger Charter renewal negotiations within weeks.
    It comes after John Whittingdale, the new Culture Secretary, insisted that he does not have a “vendetta” against the corporation but warned that it needed a “very robust system in place” to deal with issues of impartiality"

Not before time!
  • Options
    Not sure why you're so confident that Burnham would appeal to some of those marginals you name. I live in Warrington South (Tory marginal you mentioned) and my wife lived in Leigh (Burnham's constituency) when we first met. Leigh may be less than 10 miles from my house but that doesn't mean we love Burnham.

That's like assuming people who live in Manchester must love Liverpool Football Club, while Liverpudlians must love Manchester United because they're nearby to each other.
  • Options

O/T

"The BBC Trust will be axed and its powers handed to the communications regulator Ofcom, Westminster sources have revealed.
    For the first time in the broadcaster’s nearly century-long history, it will be governed by an external body, as part of the renegotiation of the BBC Charter.
    The move is expected to be signalled in a Green Paper that will formally trigger Charter renewal negotiations within weeks.
    It comes after John Whittingdale, the new Culture Secretary, insisted that he does not have a “vendetta” against the corporation but warned that it needed a “very robust system in place” to deal with issues of impartiality"

Not before time!

LOL. They were going to abolish Ofcom before GE 2010, now they are giving Ofcom the BBC.
  • Options

O/T

Not before time!

About time!
  • Options
    Almost always, the same things that help Labour or the Conservative in northern marginals, help Labour or the Conservatives in southern marginals.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    PT According to the last ST yougov Labour leadership poll Burnham led in the north on 17%, Cooper was on 10%, Corbyn 8%, Kendall 4%. Ironically in that poll Burnham was also most popular in the south on 10%, with Cooper on 5%, Kendall and Corbyn on 4%, in London Cooper led on 8%, with Burnham on 6%, Corbyn on 5%, Kendall on 4% and in the Midlands and Wales Cooper just led on 8% with Burnham on 7%, Kendall on 5%, Corbyn on 3%. In Scotland Cooper was on 10%, Burnham 9%, Corbyn 8%, Kendall 4%
    https://yougov.co.uk/publicopinion/archive/?page=3
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Romsey (Cambridgeshire) result:
    LAB 37.3% (+5.6)
    LDEM 35.2% (-12.7)
    GRN 21.0% (+15.1)
    CON 4.5% (+0.1)
    UKIP 2.1% (-3.0)

via @britainelects

Labour Gain from LD - go Hattie!
  • Options
    EPG said:

Almost always, the same things that help Labour or the Conservative in northern marginals, help Labour or the Conservatives in southern marginals.

Agreed. Miliband's left wing manifesto went down a storm in Burnham's Leigh (increasing his majority to over 31%) but actually saw a swing against Labour in many North West marginals.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    EPG said:

O/T

Not before time!

LOL. They were going to abolish Ofcom before GE 2010, now they are giving Ofcom the BBC.
    What's the LOL for?
    Abolishing something or giving the same thing a new proper role which justifies its continued existence seem like the only two sensible alternatives to choose between.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PT According to the last ST yougov Labour leadership poll Burnham led in the north on 17%, Cooper was on 10%, Corbyn 8%, Kendall 4%. Ironically in that poll Burnham was also most popular in the south on 10%, with Cooper on 5%, Kendall and Corbyn on 4%, in London Cooper led on 8%, with Burnham on 6%, Corbyn on 5%, Kendall on 4% and in the Midlands and Wales Cooper just led on 8% with Burnham on 7%, Kendall on 5%, Corbyn on 3%. In Scotland Cooper was on 10%, Burnham 9%, Corbyn 8%, Kendall 4%
    https://yougov.co.uk/publicopinion/archive/?page=3

The North is not homogenous. If it was there'd be no Tory seats, let alone seat like mine that swung TO the Tories this year. Leigh saw Labour's majority increased by 4% this year while Warrington South as an example saw the Conservatives majority increased by 2%. Appealing to one part of the North West can upset another part of the North West and vice-versa.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't. Tesco's pay their wages they pay which I'm sure are at or above minimum wage. There is no automatic subsidy to top up anyone's wages.
    Yes they do. Tried to find chart previously on PB which I believe showed that the UK tax payer subsidises the wages of Tesco's staff to the region of £55 million. Perhaps some one else could find it or correct me?