Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson: Tom Watson should be odds-on for LAB deputy

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Internet Tories hate Watson, but the public doesn't know or care.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

Plato said:

I feel the need for a Venn diagram

rcs1000 said:

How does TTIP differ from a US-UK trade deal signed by a UK not a member of the EU?

The answer is that, were we not a member of the EU, we would almost certainly piggyback the TTIP and join it anyway. With the exception of the mega-deals (like TTIP), most trade agreements are negotiated under WTO auspices. The result of this is that it is highly unlikely our external trade situation would change meaningfully were we to leave the EU.

(As an aside, the level of tariffs imposed on goods coming into the UK is among the lowest in the world. See: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/TM.TAX.MRCH.WM.AR.ZS?order=wbapi_data_value_2013+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=asc)
    How about this one? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Supranational_European_Bodies-en.svg
    This is the greatest Venn Diagram ever

http://bit.ly/1GeOgyv
    Titter..... (Pun intended). For you, TSE:

http://www.ltparis.com/images/venn/venn-diagram.jpg
    This is my second favourite one.

http://bit.ly/1B2ID7L
    What about Starfleet officers, or 19th C British soldiers?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    EPG said:

I forgot to mention that Internet Tories hated Harman too but it didn't matter because not only did the public neither know or care about Harman but they don't know or care about the deputy leader of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Do you *really* require an explanation of the difference between being signed up to TTIP, and having the ability to negotiate our own trade deals?

I certainly do. Please go ahead.
    The content Richard. You know, the actual words on the bit of paper that people sign? The clue's in the title. The idea that a party who support the ability to negotiate a deal with another country should support anything that says 'deal' on the top is so cretinous it renders me almost speechless.
    No, the idea that the UK can negotiate, by itself, a better deal is cretinous. In any case what better deal do you want? The objection to TTIP seems to be that it is what UKIP claim to want - a free trade deal. By definition that means we can more easily sell stuff to them and they can more easily sell stuff to us, without bureaucracy and without zealous over-regulation. That means accepting that their rules on, for example, product and food safety are adequate (and them accepting ours).

It makes sense for the loony left to oppose TTIP - they don't claim to want easy trade relationships. It makes absolutely zero sense, not a smidgen of an iota of sense, for a party which argues it wants less protectionism and regulation to do so.
    Well currently the UK has no power to negotiate any trade deal at all as we have ceded that power entirely to the EU. So whether the TTIP deal is good or bad for us (and I am not necessarily opposed to it) is immaterial as we are not able to do much about it either way.
    You make yourself absurd making claims like this. The UK is part of the EU and part of the negotiations for the TTIP. The fact we aren't unilaterally negotiating with the US is true, but then who is currently?

The US has two major international agreements being made. TTIP (US and EU) and the Trans Pacific Partnership. Neither of those is bilateral between single nations (and if it was it'd be a case of take or leave whatever the US offers).

You may think the UK could negotiate a better deal that TTIP, though that doesn't seem to be the desire of the loons who're opposing it. But that does not mean we're immaterial to it from within the EU.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Sounds a lot like one of those crappy internet adverts " doctors everywhere hate him"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    EPG said:

I'm sure the Sun or the Times won't care either.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

MikeK said:

UKIP on the ball:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/watch-ttip-vote-in-european-parliament-descends-into-chaos-after-ukip-meps-spark-protest-10310457.html

Ukip MEPs sparked a protest that sent the European Parliament into chaos today after a crucial vote and debate on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) was suspended.

Nigel Farage marched to the front of the room after MEPs narrowly voted in favour of a a last-minute delay in the latest debate on the free trade agreement with the United States. The Ukip leader claimed this was proof the EU was "running scared" of the strength of opposition to TTIP.

Meanwhile it looks as though the EU has blinked re Greece. I can't believe that Tsipras et al's bad behaviour is going to be rewarded, although we are talking about the EU, so I don't know why I should be so amazed.
    My understanding was that there had been broad agreement between the EU and Greece for the last three or four weeks, but the IMF was demanding VAT reform in return for its sign off.

The only way the EU could "blink" on its own would be if it were to replace all the IMF loans themselves. I don't think that would be politically acceptable in Germany (or in other fiscally Conservative countries) - and don't forget any new deal for Greece has to pass the Bundestag.

So, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from...
    Reports today that Germany is prepared to give Greece staggered relief - in exchange for just one major reform, allow some of the relief to flow:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2015/jun/10/greece-creditors-reforms-tsipras-merkel-hollande-live
    "Germany is prepared?".... So what about the rest of us?. Why is it as it appears it's always what bloody Germany and Merkel want ?

I don't care if they do or don't do a deal I am just fed up that on this side of the equation the bloody Germans decide. Yes I know they put money in but so do we but if this doesn't matter then you might just as well hand it all over to the EU right now.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited June 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

How does TTIP differ from a US-UK trade deal signed by a UK not a member of the EU?

The answer is that, were we not a member of the EU, we would almost certainly piggyback the TTIP and join it anyway. With the exception of the mega-deals (like TTIP), most trade agreements are negotiated under WTO auspices. The result of this is that it is highly unlikely our external trade situation would change meaningfully were we to leave the EU.

(As an aside, the level of tariffs imposed on goods coming into the UK is among the lowest in the world. See: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/TM.TAX.MRCH.WM.AR.ZS?order=wbapi_data_value_2013+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=asc)

The flag of Kazakhstan seems superfluous.
    Yes, it doesn't seem to belong anywhere! I blame Borat :)

There's also this version which I think is more pleasing on the eye:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Supranational_European_Bodies_with_NATO_members-en.svg
    Please can I see a version with the British territories included, Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies and their relations to the bodies of Europe, as well as the relationship between themselves. Thanks :)
    Sunil's Commonwealth includes the Crown Dependencies, Overseas Territories and the EU, by virtue of the latter having English as an official language :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    PMQ's was hilarious especially Hattie's last question.. Dave was loving it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

Do you *really* require an explanation of the difference between being signed up to TTIP, and having the ability to negotiate our own trade deals?

The content Richard. You know, the actual words on the bit of paper that people sign? The clue's in the title. The idea that a party who support the ability to negotiate a deal with another country should support anything that says 'deal' on the top is so cretinous it renders me almost speechless.
    No, the idea that the UK can negotiate, by itself, a better deal is cretinous. In any case what better deal do you want? The objection to TTIP seems to be that it is what UKIP claim to want - a free trade deal. By definition that means we can more easily sell stuff to them and they can more easily sell stuff to us, without bureaucracy and without zealous over-regulation. That means accepting that their rules on, for example, product and food safety are adequate (and them accepting ours).

It makes sense for the loony left to oppose TTIP - they don't claim to want easy trade relationships. It makes absolutely zero sense, not a smidgen of an iota of sense, for a party which argues it wants less protectionism and regulation to do so.
    Well currently the UK has no power to negotiate any trade deal at all as we have ceded that power entirely to the EU. So whether the TTIP deal is good or bad for us (and I am not necessarily opposed to it) is immaterial as we are not able to do much about it either way.
    Is there any concrete case regarding the EU about which you have a strong opinion or is it just the principle you object to?
    It is a combination of both. Both the democratic deficit and centralisation of power combined with the specific exercising of that power. It starts from a position of libertarianism but involves hundreds of major and minor examples of state or supra-state interference in people's lives.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Moses_ said:

"Germany is prepared?".... So what about the rest of us?. Why is it as it appears it's always what bloody Germany and Merkel want ?

I don't care if they do or don't do a deal I am just fed up that on this side of the equation the bloody Germans decide. Yes I know they put money in but so do we but if this doesn't matter then you might just as well hand it all over to the EU right now.

Germany has more money than the rest of us - indeed, probably than the rest of us put together. Therefore, throughout this crisis it has called the shots. Other nations fall into line in case they need to suckle the teat of the German taxpayer as well - and there are still some out there whose problems may prove even worse than those of Greece.

Somewhat related, I well remember this phrase from one of Morgan Kelly's great polemics on the Irish eocnomic catastrophe:

"Since September, a permanent team of ECB “observers” has taken up residence in the Department of Finance. Although of many nationalities, they are known there, dismayingly but inevitably, as “The Germans”."

Available here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/if-you-thought-the-bank-bailout-was-bad-wait-until-the-mortgage-defaults-hit-home-1.674081

(In case anyone was interested, the team of observers was actually led by a Hungarian academic economist whose name escapes me.)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Gibraltar is the only overseas territory that is part of the European Union (EU), although it is not part of the European Customs Union, the European Tax Policy, the European Statistics Zone or the Common Agriculture Policy. Gibraltar is not a member of the European Union in its own right. The Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus are not part of the European Union, but they are the only British overseas territory to use the Euro as official currency. None of the other Overseas Territories are members of the EU, the main body of EU law does not apply and, although certain slices of EU law are applied to those territories as part of the EU's Association of Overseas Countries and Territories (OCT Association), they are not commonly enforceable in local courts. The OCT Association also provides overseas territories with structural funding for regeneration projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories#Foreign_affairs
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

MikeK said:

UKIP on the ball:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/watch-ttip-vote-in-european-parliament-descends-into-chaos-after-ukip-meps-spark-protest-10310457.html

Ukip MEPs sparked a protest that sent the European Parliament into chaos today after a crucial vote and debate on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) was suspended.

Nigel Farage marched to the front of the room after MEPs narrowly voted in favour of a a last-minute delay in the latest debate on the free trade agreement with the United States. The Ukip leader claimed this was proof the EU was "running scared" of the strength of opposition to TTIP.

Meanwhile it looks as though the EU has blinked re Greece. I can't believe that Tsipras et al's bad behaviour is going to be rewarded, although we are talking about the EU, so I don't know why I should be so amazed.
    My understanding was that there had been broad agreement between the EU and Greece for the last three or four weeks, but the IMF was demanding VAT reform in return for its sign off.

The only way the EU could "blink" on its own would be if it were to replace all the IMF loans themselves. I don't think that would be politically acceptable in Germany (or in other fiscally Conservative countries) - and don't forget any new deal for Greece has to pass the Bundestag.

Reports today that Germany is prepared to give Greece staggered relief - in exchange for just one major reform, allow some of the relief to flow:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2015/jun/10/greece-creditors-reforms-tsipras-merkel-hollande-live
    Hmmm... I'm quite close to the German negotiating team, and I've not heard anything yet. There was certainly talk of an interim deal, though. Perhaps this is it.
    Admit it, you're Angela Merkel in disguise.
    Is her English really that good? ;)
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

MikeK said:

UKIP on the ball:

No we're not putting any money in (except via the IMF but the IMF negotiates for the IMF not nation-states).
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Can we have a Greek Financial crisis next week please.

I really want to do an "Acropolis Now" headline.

Wow, bag the screen-rights. It is ridiculous that a nation such as Greece has to come round with the begging bowl. Mostly that's their fault, but if there is one nation on Earth that we owe a good turn to it's the bubbles.

Tom Watson - I vaguely approve of him because he can join dots.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Random anecdote: waiting in the opticians this lunchtime, where they had the now ubiquitous TV on the wall that no chain shop seems to be without these days, when PMQs comes on and Harperson is doing her best to lay in to Cameron. One of the customers starts shouting out - 'why isn't she their leader?', 'she's the best they've got', 'look at the rest of the candidates' etc etc.

Maybe he's got a point?
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    rcs1000 said:

I other words leaving the EU is not going to usher in a new golden age of trade, nor is leaving going to be destructive from a trade position. Especially if we remain in the EEA.
    Staying in the EEA ought not to make much difference to our investment and trade position either, since we would be abiding by single market rules.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

rcs1000 said:

I other words leaving the EU is not going to usher in a new golden age of trade, nor is leaving going to be destructive from a trade position. Especially if we remain in the EEA.
    Staying in the EEA ought not to make much difference to our investment and trade position either, since we would be abiding by single market rules.
    But it would be destructive to our influence. Instead of employing negotiators, we would employ a photocopier.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    An update on the Greek issue.
    Greece is asking for a 9 month bailout extension and a debt swap between the ECB and the ESM in order to make the extension feasible (getting rid of the ECB bonds), in exchange Greece will continue to negotiate about primary surpluses.

Now we have to see if Germany is ok with it.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2015
    Omnium said:

Wow, bag the screen-rights. It is ridiculous that a nation such as Greece has to come round with the begging bowl. Mostly that's their fault, but if there is one nation on Earth that we owe a good turn to it's the bubbles.

He is a good investigator, you can imagine him playing in a 70's detective TV series.
    Like a chubby version of Harry Palmer.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

An update on the Greek issue.
    Greece is asking for a 9 month bailout extension and a debt swap between the ECB and the ESM in order to make the extension feasible (getting rid of the ECB bonds), in exchange Greece will continue to negotiate about primary surpluses.

Now we have to see if Germany is ok with it.

It is ironic to reflect that Greece is the country that invented money, and now appears set to run out of it. Or at least it would be, if it wasn't tempting fate...
  • Options
    Certain aspects of membership of the European Union apply to the Crown dependencies, by association of the United Kingdom's membership, governed by [Article 299(6)(c) of the Treaty establishing the European Community replace this reference by Article 355 (5)(c) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU):
    this Treaty shall apply to the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man only to the extent necessary to ensure the implementation of the arrangements for those islands set out in the Treaty concerning the accession of new Member States to the European Economic Community and to the European Atomic Energy Community signed on 22 January 1972.;
    and by Protocol 3 to the UK's Act of Accession to the Community:[39]

An Act to make provision in connection with the enlargement of the European Communities to include the United Kingdom, together with (for certain purposes) the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Gibraltar. [17 October 1972]"

Of the Four Freedoms of the EU, the islands take part in that concerning the movement of goods, but not those concerning the movement of persons, services or capital. The Channel Islands are outside the VAT area (as they have no VAT), while the Isle of Man is inside it.[40] Both areas are inside the customs union.[41]

Channel Islanders and Manx people are British citizens and hence European citizens.[42] However, they are not entitled to take advantage of the freedom of movement of people or services unless they are directly connected (through birth, descent from a parent or grandparent, or five years' residence) with the United Kingdom.[43]

The common agricultural policy of the EU does not apply to the Crown dependencies. Their citizens do not take part in elections to the European Parliament

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_dependencies
  • Options

You make yourself absurd making claims like this. The UK is part of the EU and part of the negotiations for the TTIP. The fact we aren't unilaterally negotiating with the US is true, but then who is currently?

The US has two major international agreements being made. TTIP (US and EU) and the Trans Pacific Partnership. Neither of those is bilateral between single nations (and if it was it'd be a case of take or leave whatever the US offers).

You may think the UK could negotiate a better deal that TTIP, though that doesn't seem to be the desire of the loons who're opposing it. But that does not mean we're immaterial to it from within the EU.
    Under the current rather convoluted EU rules we have approx. 1/8th of a vote and no veto in trade discussions. Norway - as an example - has a full vote on the WTO and a veto over EFTA trade deals.
  • Options
    O/T
    Britain’s polling industry should be brought under the control of a state-backed external regulator in the wake of their failure to predict the outcome of the 2015 general election

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/10/polling-industry-general-election-labour-?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

But it would be destructive to our influence. Instead of employing negotiators, we would employ a photocopier.
    Simply not true. We would have far more influence over our own trade than we currently have and ultimately we would gave a veto over any EEA agreements we thought were counter to.our interests.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Omnium said:

He is a good investigator, you can imagine him playing in a 70's detective TV series.
    He absolutely fails the "would you buy a used car from that man" test
  • Options

Speedy said:

Omnium said:

I'm intrigued. That suggests there is a politician you would buy a used car from.

Who is it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Plato said:

Whoah. Source Times.
    The annual bill for NHS negligence in pregnancy has reached £1 billion after more than 1,300 babies were killed or maimed last year.

If the NHS were spending 1/120th of its annual budget each year on 1300 babies then it would indeed be a strange thing.
    What the times says is ''The NHS paid or set aside just under £1 billion last year to settle 1,316 claims of negligence in maternity units, up from £488 million a decade ago,''.
    This is not the same as 'spending' 1 billion each year.
    If that isn't spent it can just be rolled over into next year though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    ydoethur said:

Speedy said:

Omnium said:

I'm intrigued. That suggests there is a politician you would buy a used car from.

Who is it?
    Andy Burnham. Although technically it wouldn't be used.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

So if you accept it makes no difference to trade then we are left with the fact gst it repatriates huge swathes of power over foreign, farming, fishing, Justice, energy, environmental and social policy. Along with many other areas.

• Options
    Quite like the Noncefinder general :D
  • Options

Under the current rather convoluted EU rules we have approx. 1/8th of a vote and no veto in trade discussions. Norway - as an example - has a full vote on the WTO and a veto over EFTA trade deals.
    While the pro-EU argument is that our voice in the EU is greater than Norway accepting by fax machine whatever the EU has decided. When did Norway last veto a trade deal that the EU wanted and stopped it applying to the EU?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The PMQ sketch on Guido is spot on
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Whoah. Source Times.
    The annual bill for NHS negligence in pregnancy has reached £1 billion after more than 1,300 babies were killed or maimed last year.

If the NHS were spending 1/120th of its annual budget each year on 1300 babies then it would indeed be a strange thing.
    What the times says is ''The NHS paid or set aside just under £1 billion last year to settle 1,316 claims of negligence in maternity units, up from £488 million a decade ago,''.
    This is not the same as 'spending' 1 billion each year.
    If that isn't spent it can just be rolled over into next year though.
    The costs of negligence settlements will be spread over many years in the case of supporting a disabled baby. So my point is the costs are not 1 billion annually. I am not BTW making any other comment about this situation, either the cost of modern negligence cases, are they valid or why they happen in the first place. This is indeed a big issue.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

So if you accept it makes no difference to trade then we are left with the fact gst it repatriates huge swathes of power over foreign, farming, fishing, Justice, energy, environmental and social policy. Along with many other areas.

It would make a difference to trade as the UK is one the key liberal economics voices within the EU.

The balance of power for a UK-less EU would be shifted towards the French. That is one reason why Merkel is willing to reach a deal to keep us in.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Speedy said:

Omnium said:

Who is it?
    Actually there are quite a few

Alan Johnson

That very sexy lady who won Morley and Outwood

My MP

Dennis Skinner... (one owner hardly used)

there just to name a few...

If Prezza was still an MP, his car would be worth buying, a forced sale sitting idle for 12 months ;)

Prezza losing his licence has been so enjoyable Aaaaahh wonderful.
  • Options

While the pro-EU argument is that our voice in the EU is greater than Norway accepting by fax machine whatever the EU has decided. When did Norway last veto a trade deal that the EU wanted and stopped it applying to the EU?
    They don't need to. The joy of the EEA agreement as far as EFTA is concerned is that they are directly involved in every stage of the initiation and drafting of regulation up to the final vote and the EU knows that if any EFTA member disagrees fundamentally with the final directive or regulation then it will be vetoed. That means they go out of their way to accommodate them. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to EU members so if we object to particular aspects of a directive then generally we just have to lump it.

The EFTA veto is a nuclear weapon and just like the Cold War both sides do their dander to make sure it isn't needed. Unfortunately in this particular balance of power we are the equivalent of Bulgaria.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2015
    Final candidates for select committee chairs

Nominations received

Backbench Business Committee

Sarah Champion
    Ian Mearns
    Barry Sheerman

Business, Innovation and Skills Committee

Adrian Bailey
    Dr Roberta Blackman-Woods
    Iain Wright

Communities and Local Government Committee

Clive Betts

Culture, Media and Sport Committee

Damian Collins
    Damian Green
    Jason McCartney
    Jesse Norman
    Graham Stuart

Defence Committee

Richard Benyon
    Dr Julian Lewis
    Bob Stewart

Education Committee

Neil Carmichael
    Tim Loughton
    Caroline Nokes

Energy and Climate Change Committee

Angus Brendan MacNeil

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee

Neil Parish

Environmental Audit Committee

Huw Irranca-Davies
    Barry Gardiner
    Dr Alan Whitehead

Foreign Affairs Committee

John Baron
    Crispin Blunt
    Richard Graham
    Daniel Kawczynski
    Nadhim Zahawi

Health Committee

David Tredinnick
    Dr Sarah Wollaston

Home Affairs Committee

Fiona Mactaggart
    Keith Vaz

International Development Committee

Fabian Hamilton
    Albert Owen
    Yasmin Quereshi
    Stephen Twigg

Justice Committee

David Burrowes
    Jonathan Djanogly
    John Howell
    Sir Edward Leigh
    Robert Neil

Northern Ireland Affairs Committee

Laurence Robertson

Petitions Committee

Helen Jones
    Nick Smith

Procedure Committee

Charles Walker

Public Accounts Committee

Helen Goodman
    David Hanson
    Meg Hillier
    Gisela Stuart

Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee

Bernard Jenkin

Science and Technology Committee

Nicola Blackwood
    Dr Philip Lee
    Stephen McPartland
    Stephen Metcalfe
    Dr Daniel Poulter

Scottish Affairs Committee

Pete Wishart

Standards Committee

Kevin Barron

Transport Committee

Louise Ellman

Treasury Committee

Andrew Tyrie

Welsh Affairs Committee

David T.C Davies

Women and Equalities Committee

Maria Miller

Work and Pensions Committee

Frank Field
    Kate Green
    Teresa Pearce
  • Options

They don't need to. The joy of the EEA agreement as far as EFTA is concerned is that they are directly involved in every stage of the initiation and drafting of regulation up to the final vote and the EU knows that if any EFTA member disagrees fundamentally with the final directive or regulation then it will be vetoed. That means they go out of their way to accommodate them. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to EU members so if we object to particular aspects of a directive then generally we just have to lump it.

The EFTA veto is a nuclear weapon and just like the Cold War both sides do their dander to make sure it isn't needed. Unfortunately in this particular balance of power we are the equivalent of Bulgaria.
    No you are kidding yourself if you think Norway are an equal partner. We are involved in every step of the way with the EU negotiations, we are the equivalent of New York. Norway are the equivalent of Puerto Rico.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Final candidates for select committee chairs

Nominations received

Backbench Business Committee

Sarah Champion
    Ian Mearns
    Barry Sheerman

Business, Innovation and Skills Committee

Adrian Bailey
    Dr Roberta Blackman-Woods
    Iain Wright

Communities and Local Government Committee

Clive Betts

Culture, Media and Sport Committee

Damian Collins
    Damian Green
    Jason McCartney
    Jesse Norman
    Graham Stuart

Defence Committee

Richard Benyon
    Dr Julian Lewis
    Bob Stewart

Education Committee

Neil Carmichael
    Tim Loughton
    Caroline Nokes

Energy and Climate Change Committee

Angus Brendan MacNeil

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee

Neil Parish

Environmental Audit Committee

Huw Irranca-Davies
    Barry Gardiner
    Dr Alan Whitehead

Foreign Affairs Committee

John Baron
    Crispin Blunt
    Richard Graham
    Daniel Kawczynski
    Nadhim Zahawi

Health Committee

David Tredinnick
    Dr Sarah Wollaston

Home Affairs Committee

Fiona Mactaggart
    Keith Vaz

International Development Committee

Fabian Hamilton
    Albert Owen
    Yasmin Quereshi
    Stephen Twigg

Justice Committee

David Burrowes
    Jonathan Djanogly
    John Howell
    Sir Edward Leigh
    Robert Neil

Northern Ireland Affairs Committee

Laurence Robertson

Petitions Committee

Helen Jones
    Nick Smith

Procedure Committee

Charles Walker

Public Accounts Committee

Helen Goodman
    David Hanson
    Meg Hillier
    Gisela Stuart

Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee

Bernard Jenkin

Science and Technology Committee

Nicola Blackwood
    Dr Philip Lee
    Stephen McPartland
    Stephen Metcalfe
    Dr Daniel Poulter

Scottish Affairs Committee

Pete Wishart

Standards Committee

Kevin Barron

Transport Committee

Louise Ellman

Treasury Committee

Andrew Tyrie

Welsh Affairs Committee

David T.C Davies

Women and Equalities Committee

Maria Miller

Work and Pensions Committee

Frank Field
    Kate Green
    Teresa Pearce

It would be a complete travesty if Tredinnick gets the Chair of the Health Committee.
  • Options

It would be a complete travesty if Tredinnick gets the Chair of the Health Committee.

Completely agreed. It surely has to be Dr Wollaston?
  • Options

Richard, what would you suggest as the ideal place for the UK to finish if we want to remain at arms length to the Euro? In or out of the EU?

• Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Tom Watson is one of the old Brownite's.' A THUG IN A SUIT. If he becomes Andy Burnham's wing-man, then the tories should worry.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Richard, what would you suggest as the ideal place for the UK to finish if we want to remain at arms length to the Euro? In or out of the EU?

What about either?

We have no obligation to join the Euro from either in or out. That's like saying what should I eat to be vegetarian - an apple or an orange.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Ummm
    Man breaks his penis after falling off of Chinese taxi motorbike while watching pornography on his phone as he sat behind the driver… and another passenger

Yu put an adult film on his phone to pass the time on a Shanghai taxi
    He came off over a speed bump and damaged the tissue on his penis
    The man is now trying to sue the driver for $65,000 after the injury

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3118857/Man-breaks-penis-falling-Chinese-taxi-motorbike-watching-pornography-phone-sat-driver-passenger.html#ixzz3cgpFn800
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

No you are kidding yourself if you think Norway are an equal partner. We are involved in every step of the way with the EU negotiations, we are the equivalent of New York. Norway are the equivalent of Puerto Rico.
    Simply not true. As far as their own trade is concerned Norway has far more influence and control than we do over ours. Just go and read about the EEA agreement. You clearly don't understand it as you still use the idiotic fax machine argument that was developed by the virulently pro EU Norwegian government in the 1990s when they were trying to persuade their voters to join the EU. It has now been so comprehensively debunked in Norway that it is considered a running joke that anyone who uses it obviously knows nothing about the subject.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Under current circumstances I don't think it makes any difference. The climate is such that no party would realistically suggest us joining it. But obviously as long as we remain in the EU there is the possibility of a future pro EU government either Labour or Tory (though I accept the latter is less likely) taking us in.

So for me the absolute security against joining the Euro comes from being outside the EU. But we have to.ve reasonable and accept it is currently unlikely even if we remain in the EU.
  • Options

Omnium said:

What about either?

We have no obligation to join the Euro from either in or out. That's like saying what should I eat to be vegetarian - an apple or an orange.
    We're in or out. One must finish up as being the better outcome.
  • Options

Tom Watson is one of the old Brownite's.' A THUG IN A SUIT. If he becomes Andy Burnham's wing-man, then the tories should worry.

Hmm. I think where the bodies are buried is now known.
  • Options

Simply not true. As far as their own trade is concerned Norway has far more influence and control than we do over ours. Just go and read about the EEA agreement. You clearly don't understand it as you still use the idiotic fax machine argument that was developed by the virulently pro EU Norwegian government in the 1990s when they were trying to persuade their voters to join the EU. It has now been so comprehensively debunked in Norway that it is considered a running joke that anyone who uses it obviously knows nothing about the subject.

I have read about it and I agree with the analogy which is why I use it. Since you think Norway has it so great, I'd appreciate if wish to name a single achievement Norway has been able to negotiate in a major deal like TTIP that they couldn't from inside the EU.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Omnium said:

Under current circumstances I don't think it makes any difference. The climate is such that no party would realistically suggest us joining it. But obviously as long as we remain in the EU there is the possibility of a future pro EU government either Labour or Tory (though I accept the latter is less likely) taking us in.

So for me the absolute security against joining the Euro comes from being outside the EU. But we have to.ve reasonable and accept it is currently unlikely even if we remain in the EU.
    That's as you say an extremely unlikely scenario. Under an equally extremely unlikely scenario if we were to leave the EU/EFTA etc altogether and struggle outside Europe and a future government were to want to take us back in to the EU, then we would no longer have our opt-out and like all new post-Sweden member states we would be legally obliged to ultimately join the Euro as a condition of (re-)joining the EU. So for absolute security we should stay in as we keep the opt out we have as a legacy member with an opt-out.

Not saying its likely, out is out. But a future government seeking re-entry to the Single Market seems as plausible from here as a future government wanting to take us into the Euro.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

So should Andy Burnham.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

What about either?

One must finish up for being a better option for multiple reasons yes, but the specific question you raised is moot. We're not in the Euro either way. There are many other reasons to want In or Out - personally I want in because of the right to holiday or even move to any other European nation on a British passport without a visa (and vice-versa). Many anti-immigration people want Out because they view what I see as a good thing as a bad thing. That is one example of a real choice (unless Out=EFTA in which its the same thing).
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The EU bigwigs are playing silly buggers with Greece again. Who will get fed up first?

UKIP Isle of Wight ‏@Iainmckie_UKIP 1m1 minute ago
    Hollande, Merkel and Juncker told Greece it must reach a deal with its creditors and stop seeking softer terms http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/10/uk-eurozone-greece-talks-idUKKBN0OQ0SL20150610
  • Options

Omnium said:

Absolute security against joining the Euro is essentially equivalent to absolute security against getting embroiled in European federalism isn't it?

My fear about the Euro has always been that joining it meant a complete transfer of sovereignty to Europe. I don't mind the end result at all, but I really object to it being by the back door. Greece is now a part of Germany, Germany is a part of Greece. The Greeks get that, but the German people are having to catch up.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    I've just been reading Tom Watson's resignation letter to Ed (just two years ago) after the Falkirk mess. It has some absolute gems with hindsight:

"Having resigned a couple of times before"

"You have it in you to be an outstanding Labour Prime Minister."

"I'm proud of your Buddha-like qualities of patience, deep thought, compassion and resolve."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jul/04/tom-watson-resignation-letter-ed-miliband-full-text

But most of all, who has heard of Drenge since?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Absolute security against joining the Euro is essentially equivalent to absolute security against getting embroiled in European federalism isn't it?

My fear about the Euro has always been that joining it meant a complete transfer of sovereignty to Europe. I don't mind the end result at all, but I really object to it being by the back door. Greece is now a part of Germany, Germany is a part of Greece. The Greeks get that, but the German people are having to catch up.

We're not joining it either way, that is 100% secure and not in question. It would take something incredible for the British public to want to join in a referendum and its accepted we can only join after a Yes in a referendum. Our right to stay out of the Euro if we want to is totally agreed and understood no matter what.
  • Options

I have read about it and I agree with the analogy which is why I use it. Since you think Norway has it so great, I'd appreciate if wish to name a single achievement Norway has been able to negotiate in a major deal like TTIP that they couldn't from inside the EU.
    If you agree with the analogy then you are one of a tiny number of people who do and clearly you don't understand the relationship. As I say most Norwegians would consider that a joke.

EFTA have FTAs with 35 countries excluding the EEA agreement which is currently more than the EU have in place. This includes countries like Canada with whom the EU had being trying to secure a deal for the last 8 years.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2015
    Roger Helmers view on TTIP closely resembles rcs1000. Fancy that!

http://www.ukipdaily.com/ttip-a-nuanced-view/
  • Options
    Woolaston vs Tredinnick for the health chair - obvious choice is obvious !
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

What about either?

One must finish up for being a better option for multiple reasons yes, but the specific question you raised is moot. We're not in the Euro either way. There are many other reasons to want In or Out - personally I want in because of the right to holiday or even move to any other European nation on a British passport without a visa (and vice-versa). Many anti-immigration people want Out because they view what I see as a good thing as a bad thing. That is one example of a real choice (unless Out=EFTA in which its the same thing).
    Nonsense - just because you don't want to answer a question doesn't make it moot. I'd defend every man's right to sit on the fence, but sitting on the fence it is. 'I don't know' is the right answer to almost all questions, and we should use it far more. However a question of judgement is a different thing - it's 'if you had to choose'.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Speedy said:

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 9m9 minutes ago
    #BREAKING Greece considering bailout extension to March 2016: Greek source

As I said they are seeking to prolong the negotiations for as long as possible.
    But to do that the bonds held by the ECB will have to be dealt with somehow, in order to kick the greek problem into the long grass for a few months.

It's not surprising to see this. Greece is fiscally positive and I would expect that Varoufakis is stashing away whatever foreign currency he can get his hands on. The longer they can kick it down the road, the better and stronger the Greek position will be.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

What about either?

We will never know which is the best outcome, because we can never know what the outcome of the alternative was.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

RobD said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

This is the greatest Venn Diagram ever

http://bit.ly/1GeOgyv
    Titter..... (Pun intended). For you, TSE:

http://www.ltparis.com/images/venn/venn-diagram.jpg
    This is my second favourite one.

http://bit.ly/1B2ID7L
    Well I wasn't expecting that.
  • Options
    British exporters praying for Greece to be turfed out everywhere !
  • Options

Correction. A Fat SLUG in a suit. The Blairites would not lift a finger to work with him. The wars within Labour will be renewed. Just at a time when the Conservatives have their own troubles.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

If you agree with the analogy then you are one of a tiny number of people who do and clearly you don't understand the relationship. As I say most Norwegians would consider that a joke.

EFTA have FTAs with 35 countries excluding the EEA agreement which is currently more than the EU have in place. This includes countries like Canada with whom the EU had being trying to secure a deal for the last 8 years.
    It's astonishing how so many countries are able to prosper, without being part of the EU.

Europhiles tell us that this is just not possible.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

What about either?

We will never know which is the best outcome, because we can never know what the outcome of the alternative was.
    Yeah... but.. if you decide to go on a mass killing spree then "hey we'll never know if it was for the best" is weak.

We, as individuals, can have a view. The happiness I have with myself, and 'my view' is probably correlated to how accurate a prediction of the future it all turns out to be. Somehow in the mix there's a smugness mitigation factor going on too.
  • Options
    Thanks, Sunil!
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Omnium said:

That's as you say an extremely unlikely scenario. Under an equally extremely unlikely scenario if we were to leave the EU/EFTA etc altogether and struggle outside Europe and a future government were to want to take us back in to the EU, then we would no longer have our opt-out and like all new post-Sweden member states we would be legally obliged to ultimately join the Euro as a condition of (re-)joining the EU. So for absolute security we should stay in as we keep the opt out we have as a legacy member with an opt-out.

Not saying its likely, out is out. But a future government seeking re-entry to the Single Market seems as plausible from here as a future government wanting to take us into the Euro.
    The argument about being forced to join the Euro if we were daft enough to want to rejoin the EU simply doesn't hold water. Both the Czech Republic and Poland are obliged to join and both have made it clear they have no intention of doing so in the foreseeable future. Indeed in both countries there is massive opposition to doing so.
  • Options

O/T
    Britain’s polling industry should be brought under the control of a state-backed external regulator in the wake of their failure to predict the outcome of the 2015 general election

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/10/polling-industry-general-election-labour-?CMP=share_btn_tw

Fortunately this isn't going to happen but if it was a possibility the outcome would not be better polls but fewer polls.

There is no money in political polling.I went to a talk by Ben Page of Ipsos who said they made a loss on their political polls. The main reason for doing it is for the PR value. I expect if a new QUANGO starts putting onerous restrictions on political polling then a lot of the companies would just pack in.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pulpstar said:

Woolaston vs Tredinnick for the health chair - obvious choice is obvious !

Why? They are both positively moon-howling bonanzas of bellendery.
  • Options
    Watson is the sort of thug who will continue what Brown did.. Wonderful.. Labour will be fecked for decades.. Its hard to believe that whomever they pick.. trouble is around the corner. You only need to hear the howls for Corbyn yesterday...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's astonishing how so many countries are able to prosper, without being part of the EU.

Europhobes tell us that it is impossible to prosper in the EU, but if you look at the graphs of GDP per person in the EU countries there was a sharp uptick in GDP per person from 2001 (shortly after the Euro started). Greece more than doubled its GDP per person over the period, for example.

For all its economic problems at present Greece is a lot wealthier than when it joined the EU.

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gnp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:AUT:BEL:ITA:BGR:CZE:DNK:EST:FIN:FRA:DEU:HUN:IRL:LVA:LTU:MLT:NLD:POL:SVN:SVK:ESP:PRT:ROM:SWE:GBR:GRC&ifdim=country&hl=en_US&dl=en_US&ind=false
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Sean_F said:

Europhobes tell us that it is impossible to prosper in the EU, but if you look at the graphs of GDP per person in the EU countries there was a sharp uptick in GDP per person from 2001 (shortly after the Euro started). Greece more than doubled its GDP per person over the period, for example.

For all its economic problems at present Greece is a lot wealthier than when it joined the EU.

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gnp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:AUT:BEL:ITA:BGR:CZE:DNK:EST:FIN:FRA:DEU:HUN:IRL:LVA:LTU:MLT:NLD:POL:SVN:SVK:ESP:PRT:ROM:SWE:GBR:GRC&ifdim=country&hl=en_US&dl=en_US&ind=false
    Tell that to the people.
  • Options

Watson is the sort of thug who will continue what Brown did.. Wonderful.. Labour will be fecked for decades.. Its hard to believe that whomever they pick.. trouble is around the corner. You only need to hear the howls for Corbyn yesterday...

Watson would be a disaster if the Deputy Leader post mattered (and I am not sure it does!). Just the sort of Brownite machine politician that got the Labour party into its current mess.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Correction. A Fat SLUG in a suit. The Blairites would not lift a finger to work with him. The wars within Labour will be renewed. Just at a time when the Conservatives have their own troubles.

He came to a foodbank near me. Considering socialists are keen on the whole concept that people are only poor because others are rich, he seemed to lacked self awareness while talking about the hungry...
  • Options
    Shall we file this under "No Shit Sherlock"

Raheem Kassam: Ukip full of 'rag-tag, unprofessional, embarrassing people'

http://bit.ly/1IvQnyB
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

I've just been reading Tom Watson's resignation letter to Ed (just two years ago) after the Falkirk mess. It has some absolute gems with hindsight:

"I'm proud of your Buddha-like qualities of patience, deep thought, compassion and resolve."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jul/04/tom-watson-resignation-letter-ed-miliband-full-text

Funny how Falkirk was always presented as a safe labour seat, you get selected there, you are set for life. It now has an SNP 19,000 majority. Its hard not to laugh.
  • Options
    - Predicted Douglas Carswell, the party’s only MP, would only last another six months in Ukip, as he is not accepting any public funds and is therefore no longer useful.

- Described Ukip’s headquarters as “like a fucking playground”, where he and another aide would show journalists around and “have to lock certain doors because the people behind those doors were too embarrassing to be seen”.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2015
    Sean_F said:

Madness seems to be contagious amongst Kippers - you seem to have caught a nasty dose, having previously been completely sane.

'Europhiles' (whoever they are - certainly there are none posting here, and almost none in the Conservative Party, and not many in the Labour Party) say absolutely nothing of the sort. You know this perfectly well.

If by 'Europhiles' you mean sensible people who take a balanced view of the pros and cons of EU membership, what they say is that, yes, of course we could prosper perfectly well outside the EU, provided we bought straight back into a lot of the Single Market rules by means of a trade treaty, which of course we would. Therefore the question is one of degree, convenience, and influence.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Tell that to the people.
    They know already. It is why the Greek people want to stay in the EU and Euro.
  • Options

- Predicted Douglas Carswell, the party’s only MP, would only last another six months in Ukip, as he is not accepting any public funds and is therefore no longer useful.

- Described Ukip’s headquarters as “like a fucking playground”, where he and another aide would show journalists around and “have to lock certain doors because the people behind those doors were too embarrassing to be seen”.

You missed the funniest bit:

Raheem Kassam said the flat he shared with Nigel Farage during the election campagin ‘looked like a Damien Hirst exhibition’ because it was so unkempt
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    notme said:

Funny how Falkirk was always presented as a safe labour seat, you get selected there, you are set for life. It now has an SNP 19,000 majority. Its hard not to laugh.
    To be fair, it was hardly the only one.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Raheem Kassam said the flat he shared with Nigel Farage during the election campagin ‘looked like a Damien Hirst exhibition’ because it was so unkempt
    Did he mean Tracey Emin, I wondered?

• Options
    edited June 2015

I like the concept of a PFL. If only the kippers had put it in the manifesto.

BTW I did not think Hirst was particularly unkempt. Perhaps he means like Tracey Emins bed?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Yes, presumably, he can't even get his talentless publicity-seekers straight.
  • Options

I like the concept of a PFL. If only the kippers had put it in the manifesto.

I think it was in the 2010 manifesto, sadly now disowned...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Yes, presumably, he can't even get his talentless publicity-seekers straight.
    Emin does come from Margate, and seems to be doing her best to regenerate the place:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18194768

• Options
    Al Campbell in the Times

I'll oust new leader if we flop
  • Options
    Is a concerted attack by the Blairites, including, Big Chief Tone

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHKzdr6U0AAUWeK.jpg:large
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    notme said:

Raises the interesting question of how many of SLAB's 2015 candidates are going to hang around for five more years just to turn a 17k SNP majoriity into a 12k SNP majority.....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Jenni Russell in The times (the one who outed Ed's second kitchen) has a piece attacking David Miliband

the fun continues...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Al Campbell in the Times

Maybe he'll just co-opt the currently under-employed Tony Blair into the role...?

What an arrogant tw@.....
  • Options

Al Campbell in the Times

Maybe he'll just co-opt the currently under-employed Tony Blair into the role...?

What an arrogant tw@.....
    Reading between the lines, I think Tony and Al think Labour are going to elect Ed Miliband with a Scouse accent
  • Options

Not sure that we will see much of either after Chilcott is published.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GdnPolitics: Labour's Liz Kendall: I have no problem aiming for budget surplus http://t.co/YQyWUDayCw
  • Options

Not sure that we will see much of either after Chilcott is published.
    Chilcott is going to be a damp squib.
  • Options

Reading between the lines, I think Tony and Al think Labour are going to elect Ed Miliband with a Scouse accent

Yes, and the Labour Party will spend three years agonising about how useless he is, before concluding (or in fact half-concluding) that it's too late to get rid of him, and anyway there really isn't any mechanism to do so.

It's all shaping up very nicely.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics: Labour's Liz Kendall: I have no problem aiming for budget surplus http://t.co/YQyWUDayCw

I think Liz needs to do something to appeal to Labour party members. Even David Miliband would have publicly disagreed with the Tories on something. Hey, even Tony Blair would have done so.
This discussion has been closed.