Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A CON gain from UKIP the highlight of this week’s local by-

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A CON gain from UKIP the highlight of this week’s local by-elections

Rothwell on Kettering
Result: Emboldened denotes elected
Conservatives: Jelley 771, Sumpter 853 E, Talbot 777 E
Labour: Harris 614, Jones 623, Mills 951 E
United Kingdom Independence Party: Hogston 370
Green Party: Heath 82, Jones 119, Reeves 89
No change from 2011

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    First to congratulate!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The Wisbech South result was astonishing – but remains to be seen if it’s a blip or a trend.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,114
    edited June 2015
    second ............... nearly
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,992
    Wisbech was UKIP's equivalent of fighting a seat where the outgoing candidate was pimping his mentally ill wife over the Internet.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I know nothing about Wisbech - can anyone throw light on it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    edited June 2015
    UKIP will tread water at best until the autumn as the Tories bask in their victory, they may even go backwards as here, as we move into midterm and as EUref draws closer they will hope to start picking up momentum again, of course the SNP had a pretty bad election in 2010 and look what has happened to them since!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Plato said:

Only visited it once as I had relatives living in the area, pretty town centre with lots of Georgian architecture but rather tatty in places and dominated by the dog food factory as I recall. Also somewhat isolated and extremely flat rurally – nearly bought a house in the Crescent but that was nearly 20 years ago.

http://www.whitingandpartners.co.uk/Pages/ImageManager/Locations/welch.jpg
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    EXCLUSIVE: Son of disgraced soccer boss Jack Warner admits he scalped World Cup tickets for 'substantial profit' in multi-million dollar scam

Daryan Warner, whose father is wanted by US authorities for trial over massive corruption, plead guilty in October 2012 to scam
    He admitted buying up tickets for 2006 and 2010 World Cups in Germany and South Africa and selling them for 'substantial profit'
    Court papers were kept secret until now and Daryan and his brother Darryl, who also plead guilty to a mortgage scam still face jail
    Both men are understood to have helped FBI build case against his father and other senior soccer officials from governing body FIFA

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3112655/Son-disgraced-soccer-boss-Jack-Warner-admits-scalped-World-Cup-tickets-substantial-profit-multi-million-dollar-scam.html#ixzz3cD7wZwYr
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited June 2015
    Plato said:

EXCLUSIVE: Son of disgraced soccer boss Jack Warner admits he scalped World Cup tickets for 'substantial profit' in multi-million dollar scam

Daryan Warner, whose father is wanted by US authorities for trial over massive corruption, plead guilty in October 2012 to scam
    He admitted buying up tickets for 2006 and 2010 World Cups in Germany and South Africa and selling them for 'substantial profit'
    Court papers were kept secret until now and Daryan and his brother Darryl, who also plead guilty to a mortgage scam still face jail
    Both men are understood to have helped FBI build case against his father and other senior soccer officials from governing body FIFA

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3112655/Son-disgraced-soccer-boss-Jack-Warner-admits-scalped-World-Cup-tickets-substantial-profit-multi-million-dollar-scam.html#ixzz3cD7wZwYr
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    It might be new to the Daily Mail but I commented on Jack Warner being shopped by his sons on PB several days ago - I feel so used :-(
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Wisbech was UKIP's equivalent of fighting a seat where the outgoing candidate was pimping his mentally ill wife over the Internet.

Local knowledge?

Fen Folk can be a little "interesting"!

• Options

Sean_F said:

Local knowledge?

They had a warren of rabbits living on a roundabout in the middle of town. Locals used to leave salad leftovers to feed them. Honest.

Myxomatosis took care of it however.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2015
    Wisbech used to be on the coast/estuary a few centuries ago. Now it's about 30 miles from the coast.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,083
    edited June 2015

Plato said:

Only visited it once as I had relatives living in the area, pretty town centre with lots of Georgian architecture but rather tatty in places and dominated by the dog food factory as I recall. Also somewhat isolated and extremely flat rurally – nearly bought a house in the Crescent but that was nearly 20 years ago.

http://www.whitingandpartners.co.uk/Pages/ImageManager/Locations/welch.jpg
    Despite being many, many miles from the sea, it is actually a port town, with ships come along the Nene from the Wash.

As an aside, many moons ago myself and my ex-gf went further downriver to Sutton Bridge to see a ship that had split into three parts when they had tried to turn it on an ebb tide - the bow and stern stuck in the mud, and as the water dropped, it broke into three.

Major chaos ensued.

Edit: report here, including pictures:
    https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/547c712de5274a429000010f/lagik.pdf
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Wisbech used to be on the coast/estuary a few centuries ago. Now it's about 30 miles from the coast.

It's the second largest town in Cambridgeshire, after St Neots.
  • Options
    @JJ – cheers for the V interesting link - I did have some vague knowledge of its maritime past at the time of visiting but all I remember is a ruddy great river that cut through the town. – Also getting lost somewhere in the sticks and following dykes on roads with 90% bends. Twas an interesting visit..!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Local knowledge?

The outgoing councillor was guilty of a huge benefit fraud.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Local knowledge?

The outgoing councillor was guilty of a huge benefit fraud.
    Kipper candidate selection can be a bit poor at times. They do need to tighten up on their vetting if they want to be a serious party.
  • Options

@JJ – cheers for the V interesting link - I did have some vague knowledge of its maritime past at the time of visiting but all I remember is a ruddy great river that cut through the town. – Also getting lost somewhere in the sticks and following dykes on roads with 90% bends. Twas an interesting visit..!

Some of those roads can be quite deadly, especially the ones that have an adverse camber towards the dykes. Hit some ice and you skid off into the water.

I think one between Peterborough and Dog-in-a-Doublet on the Nene is particularly bad.
    http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/travel/latest-travel-news/speed-limit-reduced-on-north-bank-in-whittlesey-following-crashes-1-5724271

Dog-in-a-Doublet has to be one of my favourite place names in the UK.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    HYUFD said:

UKIP will tread water at best until the autumn as the Tories bask in their victory, they may even go backwards as here, as we move into midterm and as EUref draws closer they will hope to start picking up momentum again, of course the SNP had a pretty bad election in 2010 and look what has happened to them since!

UKIP are starting this parliament way higher in the polls than they did in 2010, so even 'treading water' represents a big step forward on a like-for-like basis. The 2016 locals should see good gains on the same basis (2012 was the last set of locals before UKIP made their breakthrough at that level). From there on, things will get a lot harder, though they will have the referendum issue at that point.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The Carmichael petition has been published:

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/elections/documents/CertifiedCopyofElectionPetition.pdf

They are basing it on section 106(1) of the Representation of the People Act 1983:

" 106 - False statements as to candidates.

(1)A person who, or any director of any body or association corporate which—

(a)before or during an election,

(b)for the purpose of affecting the return of any candidate at the election,makes or publishes any false statement of fact in relation to the candidate’s personal character or conduct shall be guilty of an illegal practice, unless he can show that he had reasonable grounds for believing, and did believe, that statement to be true."
  • Options
    DH Yes, considering they won 3% in 2010 a step forward, but once the EU ref occurs that gives them a golden opportunity to eat into the Out vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DH Yes, considering they won 3% in 2010 a step forward, but once the EU ref occurs that gives them a golden opportunity to eat into the Out vote

Nah. Peak Kipper.

They had their chance and blew it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If you look at old maps, the sea could sometimes flood almost as far as Cambridge. Ely was a proper island.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    calum said:

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/elections/documents/CertifiedCopyofElectionPetition.pdf

They are basing it on section 106(1) of the Representation of the People Act 1983:

(b)for the purpose of affecting the return of any candidate at the election,makes or publishes any false statement of fact in relation to the candidate’s personal character or conduct shall be guilty of an illegal practice, unless he can show that he had reasonable grounds for believing, and did believe, that statement to be true."

The way that the Act is framed doesn't make any indication that the statements cannot be with regard to the candidate themselves as opposed to only applying to other candidates. I do fancy their chances.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    calum said:

There is literally no chance that will fly.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Fox Even if UKIP only win a fraction of the Out voters compared to the Yes voters the SNP won , they will increase their total next time if we vote In, especially a narrow In
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Kippers benefit most from a 2:1 victory for "In". This would result in LD/Lab/Con all backing the continued membership of the EU.

A narrow win for "In" on the other hand could potentially flip the Tories to also being a party of "Out", which would not be good for UKIP.

A win for "Out" would be a triumph as far as UKIP achieving its goals. But it would almost certainly destroy the party as an electoral force.
  • Options
    Scots Nats: I will offer 4-1 on a by-election in O&S caused by Mr Carmichael being forced from his seat.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rcs1000 said:

calum said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

There appear to be three grounds for the defence.

1. That the facts are untrue. This seems quite unlikely, he's already admitted what happened and it's well established.
    2. That the lie about knowledge does not attempt to affect a reasonable person's view of the personal character of Alistair Carmichael. The defence can try this, I think it would be quite a weak defence.
    3. That the Act is not framed in a way that the character of the accused candidate themselves can be grounds for an offence under the Act. That will likely be the core of the defence, from the wording it is unclear (which would normally mean that it would include Carmichael), so they will be relying on persuading the judge that it was not the intention of the Act to apply to the individual themselves. This is not a completely reliable defense.

However it turns out, I am sure it will be a lot of fun. Unless your name is Alistair Carmichael or you are a Liberal Democrat hoping to resurrect a dead party.
  • Options
    Dair said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

1. That the facts are untrue. This seems quite unlikely, he's already admitted what happened and it's well established.
    2. That the lie about knowledge does not attempt to affect a reasonable person's view of the personal character of Alistair Carmichael. The defence can try this, I think it would be quite a weak defence.
    3. That the Act is not framed in a way that the candidate themselves can be guilty under the Act. That will likely be the core of the defence, from the wording it is unclear, so they will be relying on persuading the sheriff that it was not the intention of the Act to apply to the individual themselves. This is not a completely reliable defense.

However it turns out, I am sure it will be a lot of fun. Unless your name is Alistair Carmichael or you are a Liberal Democrat hoping to resurrect a dead party.
    I'm not a LibDem.

But come on: money where your mouth is.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @Dair Have you had anything to say about your sexist ex-leader? A disgrace.

Put your own house in order before focusing on others.

• Options
    rcs1000 A big In risks setting back UKIP, perhaps for good, an Out ends their reason for existence, a relatively narrow In means they can 'keep the flame alive' as the SNP did post indyref. If the Tories elect a rightwinger that risks handing the election to Labour, if they ignore UKIP they risk losing some Out voting Tories, the worst result for the Tories is a reasonably close In
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

If you look at old maps, the sea could sometimes flood almost as far as Cambridge. Ely was a proper island.
    Tidal waters reach very far inland to Earith, along the New Duke of Bedford's drain. If Denver Lock on the Great Ouse near King's Lynn failed then there would be massive flooding downstream.

http://www.ousewashes.info/sluices/denver-sluice.htm

Whilst looking for information on the 1937 floods, I came across the following article in the Spectator by a certain Dorothy L. Sayers:

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/2nd-april-1937/8/the-fen-floods-fiction-and-fact

And pictures of the 1947 floods:
    https://ousewasheslps.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/2014-02-03.pdf

I've been fascinated by these rivers for years. Which is probably a little sad. ;-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scots Nats: I will offer 4-1 on a by-election in O&S caused by Mr Carmichael being forced from his seat.

I'll take the bet - £25 please.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,292
    rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

3. That the Act is not framed in a way that the candidate themselves can be guilty under the Act. That will likely be the core of the defence, from the wording it is unclear, so they will be relying on persuading the sheriff that it was not the intention of the Act to apply to the individual themselves. This is not a completely reliable defense.

I'm not a LibDem.

But come on: money where your mouth is.
    If you hadn't squirmed out of putting your money where your mouth was on the bet I offered you on the size of the Yes vote, I might have considered this.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

As I understand it he used the exact words "behave yourself, man" in parliament in 2014.

I do not automatically assume the use of the term "man" or "woman" to be sexist. That he's used the same term in relation to a man indicates it is not.

Perhaps the Libs and Labs displaying such levels of faux outrage should review the election campaign that has just been run and reflect on how faux outrage has worked for their respective parties.

I should again point out, I am not a member of the SNP.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,738
    I have just received an invitation to the Labour leadership hustings in Ny'castle. I guess other PBers have received similar for their local meetings. Looks like it will include the candidates for deputy too, so could be a crowded platform.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Calm down dear :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

calum said:

Doesn't this fall down on the fact that Sturgeon was not a candidate.
  • Options
    Salmond, the Berlusconi of Scotland
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

They are intending to argue that the wording of the Act can be applied to the person who misleads (i.e. Carmichael himself). The wording of the Act appears to allow this (because it does not exclude such individuals). So the whole defence is likely to rest on the argument that the framers of the Act did not intend for lies about oneself to be grounds for an offence.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    there was a thoughtful piece on Charles Kennedy on the BBC's "Last Word" it was on R4 at 4.30 and will be available on Radio I player
  • Options
    Windies at 10-1 is interesting, if they can knock up another 130 then the pitch looks like the sort that'll make a 150 chase tough.
  • Options
    calum said:

rcs1000 said:

Done
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

Among other reasons, yes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Re the Salmond remarks, it seems pretty clear - if the infamous Cameron remark was sexist, then Salmond's were too. If one was not then the other was not, seems fair and reasonable to me.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

I have just received an invitation to the Labour leadership hustings in Ny'castle. I guess other PBers have received similar for their local meetings. Looks like it will include the candidates for deputy too, so could be a crowded platform.

No hustings yet, here out in the wilderness that is West Wales. Forgot us during the GE, will probably forget us again.
    Many new members have joined since the debacle. I hope that this is a sign of better things to come. Highest membership down this way in many years now.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

They are intending to argue that the wording of the Act can be applied to the person who misleads (i.e. Carmichael himself). The wording of the Act appears to allow this (because it does not exclude such individuals). So the whole defence is likely to rest on the argument that the framers of the Act did not intend for lies about oneself to be grounds for an offence.
    Which is surely correct otherwise every MP who's biography contains the merest hint of an untruth is potentially up for re-election.

No judge is going to open that can of worms.
  • Options
    calum said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, should we put a time limit on it?
    When it gets thrown out, or two years, whichever is earliest?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Quite pleased that Labour managed to retain a seat at Kettering. Was fearing the worst.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

#UKIP Leader @Nigel_Farage doing media ahead of #UKIPSouthEast Conference tomorrow. Should be a great conference pic.twitter.com/vja07egiMZ

— UKIP (@UKIP) June 5, 2015

To those think that UKIP has passed it's peak.
    To those think that UKIP is sliding to oblivion.
    THINK AGAIN!

UKIP will be reshaping itself, rebuilding itself and learning hard lessons.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    MikeK said:

#UKIP Leader @Nigel_Farage doing media ahead of #UKIPSouthEast Conference tomorrow. Should be a great conference pic.twitter.com/vja07egiMZ

THINK AGAIN!

Yes like not picking terrible candidates.. The media will pick up on any UKIP candidate who misbehaves or is a crook.. the past history sets it up.

UKIP's bolt is shot GE wise, they may have a say in the referendum, but it wont be decisive IMHO.
  • Options

MikeK said:

THINK AGAIN!

Yes like not picking terrible candidates.. The media will pick up on any UKIP candidate who misbehaves or is a crook.. the past history sets it up.

UKIP's bolt is shot GE wise, they may have a say in the referendum, but it wont be decisive IMHO.

They did better at selecting candidates this GE than they did at 2010; there was just a load of media attention on them (and rightly so). Their 2015 manifesto was incomparably more professional than the 2010 one as well.

The lessons they really need to learn is to stop being the Farage party. That won't happen though, unless he chooses to go.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

calum said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, should we put a time limit on it?
    When it gets thrown out, or two years, whichever is earliest?
    Makes sense - I'm fine with 1 year - if he's still there at the end of May 2016 he'll cling on until 2020.
  • Options
    Squareroot The EU referendum is the biggest bolt of energy UKIP will have had since their foundation
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fox Even if UKIP only win a fraction of the Out voters compared to the Yes voters the SNP won , they will increase their total next time if we vote In, especially a narrow In

No they won't. People in the UK are not obsessed with Europe in the way Scots are about their independence.

The 2020 election will not be about Europe.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    HYUFD said:
    What he actually said was "to good for this fecking country"

In other words the lefts hatred of this country and those bastard voters shing through yet again.
  • Options
    Fox Oh really, this in a week when ICM had No already over 40% in an EU referendum poll and this before the campaign has even begun. Many eurosceptic Tories are as obsessed by Europe as nats, as indeed are Kippers
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

HYUFD said:

No they won't. People in the UK are not obsessed with Europe in the way Scots are about their independence.

But were Scots that obsessed with independence before the referendum? It seems the referendum itself "awakened" people to the issue, and the same could potentially happen with Europe.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Tsipras tells lenders not to humiliate Greece over debt
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33020420

Greece is going for broke, and the reason is the government will fall if it doesn't.
    The only slight chink for the Euro is that the IMF is starting to agree with Syriza. We shall see.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,292
    edited June 2015
    HYUFD said:

Squareroot The EU referendum is the biggest bolt of energy UKIP will have had since their foundation

As if 40,000 UKIP bottoms had received a finger up their fundament. ©Anna Soubry
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:
    What he actually said was "to good for this fecking country"

In other words the lefts hatred of this country and those bastard voters shing through yet again.
    I hope they all find a country that he is good enough for. And then feck off with him to that country.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will get on with trying to build up the country we've got.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

THINK AGAIN!

Has anybody said that UKIP is sliding to oblivion?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Nah. Peak Kipper.

I've lost count of the number of times peak kipper has been confidently asserted here.

"That new Labour Party. Just a protest vote. They'll never beat the Liberals."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    valleyboy said:

Quite pleased that Labour managed to retain a seat at Kettering. Was fearing the worst.

The fight-back starts in....er...Kettering?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ten years ago, Scots were only interested in schools 'n hospitals (or so Labour assumed). Times change.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

But were Scots that obsessed with independence before the referendum? It seems the referendum itself "awakened" people to the issue, and the same could potentially happen with Europe.
    The rider to this, though, is that it currently doesn't look like the "Out" side are going to have any politicians in the same league as Salmond and Sturgeon to make the arguments.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

What's Carmichael's alleged lie about himself? He wasn't even fingered until after the election, IIRC?
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

What's Carmichael's alleged lie about himself? He wasn't even fingered until after the election, IIRC?
    He was asked on the day of the leak directly in an interview whether he knew anything about it, and said "the first I knew about it was when I read it in the Telegraph".
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Greece is going for broke ...

They're on track.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

The rider to this, though, is that it currently doesn't look like the "Out" side are going to have any politicians in the same league as Salmond and Sturgeon to make the arguments.
    That's true. Though offsetting it is the fact that Eddie Izzard will no doubt campaign for In.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Greece is going for broke, and the reason is the government will fall if it doesn't.
    The only slight chink for the Euro is that the IMF is starting to agree with Syriza. We shall see.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land.

The IMF is not agreeing with SYRIZA/Tsipiras. The IMF is the hardliner here.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

I think the biggest thing the Out campaign has going for it is that Cameron is starting from a point where he thinks we need to renegotiate our relationship. Now I'm sure that whatever happens he'll say that he's got what he thinks is a good deal, but it might not wash with some in his party.

So in a way I think you're right - I'm not sure the Out campaign can win it, but I do think the In campaign could lose it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Nah. Peak Kipper.

I've lost count of the number of times peak kipper has been confidently asserted here.

"That new Labour Party. Just a protest vote. They'll never beat the Liberals."
    And they wouldn't have done had not Lloyd George and Asquith behaved like a pair of five year olds.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,956
    Dair said:

As I understand it he used the exact words "behave yourself, man" in parliament in 2014.

I do not automatically assume the use of the term "man" or "woman" to be sexist. That he's used the same term in relation to a man indicates it is not.

Perhaps the Libs and Labs displaying such levels of faux outrage should review the election campaign that has just been run and reflect on how faux outrage has worked for their respective parties.

I should again point out, I am not a member of the SNP.
    It's actually a well-established Scottish idiom, to indicate exasperation (in this case with a deliberate interrupter). (And I suspect also Yorkie and Geordie). Not that that will wash with some of the PBers.

• Options

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

That he claimed to have no knowledge about the leak until it appeared in the Telegraph. This was patently (and admitted by Carmichael) false. They are alleging that this is a false statement about his own character, i.e. that he is not a liar and a leaker.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    kle4 said:

Re the Salmond remarks, it seems pretty clear - if the infamous Cameron remark was sexist, then Salmond's were too. If one was not then the other was not, seems fair and reasonable to me.

Neither were being sexist - politics is rough and tumble - for women to screech 'sexism' all the time is totally ridiculous. I cannot abide Salmond, he's about as slimy as politicians get but he was not being sexist.

On topic: I wonder if the kipper dragon may have been partially slain against the Tories - but still potent against Labour unless they get their act together. Just a feeling, not backed up by much polling evidence of course - but something to watch. My feeling is simply that they shine against crap - and Cameron has proved now to most of the doubters that he ain't crap. Two very impressive wins against Labour, the second in very difficult economic circumstances may well help the tories for quite a while.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Danny565 said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

He was asked on the day of the leak directly in an interview whether he knew anything about it, and said "the first I knew about it was when I read it in the Telegraph".
    That's a pretty weak case. Politicians can't be expected to tell the whole truth about everything. The issue is surely the difference between him lying there (as he clearly did if quoted there accurately), and not answering the question or answering a different question, which politicians do all the time. I doubt a court would consider that likely to swing 400+ votes.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Although the IMF does want the EU and ECB to take a haircut. It would not of course apply the same to itself.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Moses/TUD Indeed

Danny565 An Out campaign led by Daniel Hannan, Kate Hoey, Frank Field, Nigel Farage, Douglas Carswell and Zac Goldsmith would be a formidable one
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2015
    A fiendishly difficult problem involving a girl named Hannah with two different colours of sweets stumped thousands - and many took to Twitter to complain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33023123

FFs...it wasn't fiendishly difficult. It was extremely straight forward, using very very basic maths. I didn't even have to think how to do this, it was just blatantly obvious. This is just reinforcing all the cry baby nonsense on twitter. My god if Gove had actually really and truly followed through with proper reform to the standard of exams what would the reaction have been?

Compare this one to the question asked in Singapore, now that was a far more challenging question as it required some real problem solving skills and clear well thought out logic. I had to sit for quite a long time to cut through the text, write out clearly the knowns / unknowns and deduce the answer.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

That he claimed to have no knowledge about the leak until it appeared in the Telegraph. This was patently (and admitted by Carmichael) false. They are alleging that this is a false statement about his own character, i.e. that he is not a liar and a leaker.
    I think this petition is just a warning shot, Heather Green's analysis is interesting and should this come to trial there are many avenues the lawyers can go down:

http://www.scottishconstitutionalfutures.org/OpinionandAnalysis/ViewBlogPost/tabid/1767/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/5663/Heather-Green-The-Alistair-Carmichael-Election-Petition-the-Leak-the-Lie-and-Legal-Remedies.aspx

As this week's events show Scottish judges are prepared to look at the overall big picture. However you analyse the facts, Carmichaels failure to come clean before the election casts doubt over the result. He can bring this whole sorry affair to an end by giving the electorate a second chance. Otherwise he could be facing a messy trial, which could result in many key players being called into the witness box, and all of this taking place in the run up to Holyrood 2016.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

That's a pretty weak case. Politicians can't be expected to tell the whole truth about everything. The issue is surely the difference between him lying there (as he clearly did if quoted there accurately), and not answering the question or answering a different question, which politicians do all the time. I doubt a court would consider that likely to swing 400+ votes.
    The court isn't being asked to consider if it swung 400 votes.

They are being asked to consider if it is an offence under the Representation of the People Act. Which it may be.
  • Options
    calum said:

Dair said:

I think this petition is just a warning shot, Heather Green's analysis is interesting and should this come to trial there are many avenues the lawyers can go down:

http://www.scottishconstitutionalfutures.org/OpinionandAnalysis/ViewBlogPost/tabid/1767/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/5663/Heather-Green-The-Alistair-Carmichael-Election-Petition-the-Leak-the-Lie-and-Legal-Remedies.aspx

As this week's events show Scottish judges are prepared to look at the overall big picture. However you analyse the facts, Carmichaels failure to come clean before the election casts doubt over the result. He can bring this whole sorry affair to an end by giving the electorate a second chance. Otherwise he could be facing a messy trial, which could result in many key players being called into the witness box, and all of this taking place in the run up to Holyrood 2016.
    This actually might be a consideration that will lead to Carmichael going to trial.

Considering that Mundell will be called and have to give testimony under oath, then it may be that the Liberals are willing to sacrifice Carmichael in order to garner Tory votes and (they must hope) be the best placed challenger to the SNP in more seats than they could otherwise expect to be.

I doubt that the Liberals will be willing to offer any help to the Tories given recent events.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,956
    edited June 2015
    calum said:

Dair said:

[snip]

Thanks - that is interesting, and not just for the comment

"This is the first parliamentary election petition to be brought in Scotland since the colourful if ultimately unsuccessful attempt by poet and defeated Communist candidate Hugh McDiarmid to unseat the Conservative Prime Minister in Grieve v Douglas-Home 1965 S.C. 315."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    felix said:

kle4 said:

Neither were being sexist
    I don't think so either, I just hope that people who think it was think Cameron's was, and who think Salmond's wasn't also think Cameron's wasn't, for consistency's sake.

A fiendishly difficult problem involving a girl named Hannah with two different colours of sweets stumped thousands - and many took to Twitter to complain.

FFs...it wasn't fiendishly difficult. It was extremely straight forward, using very very basic maths. I didn't even have to think how to do this, it was just blatantly obvious. This is just reinforcing all the cry baby nonsense on twitter. My god if Gove had actually really and truly followed through with proper reform to the standard of exams what would the reaction have been?

Compare this one to the question asked in Singapore, now that was a far more challenging question as it required some real problem solving skills and clear well thought out logic. I had to sit for quite a long time to cut through the text, write out clearly the knowns / unknowns and deduce the answer.

A personal anecdote that always comes to mind for me when considering exam difficulty and maths in particular is at my school where after year 1 of the sixth form, only 1 person got an A, most got Cs, and lots of people failed (me included sadly, my first outright failure academically). The school switched exam boards, and next year all but 1-2 left in the class were scoring in the 90+% range on tests.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

The court isn't being asked to consider if it swung 400 votes.

They are being asked to consider if it is an offence under the Representation of the People Act. ....
    Quite right. I still don't think it'd run. Those taking the action would have to prove that Carmichael intended to affect his return by his comment, which is arguable but not a gimme.
  • Options
    Felix Cameron will not be leading the Tories in 2020 and polls show 20% of Labour voters would vote Out compared to about 40-45% of Tories, by 2020 UKIP are likely to be more of a threat to the Tories, if wwc voters backed Ed Miliband in 2015 and did not vote UKIP they will back whoever Labour puts up
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    felix

For what it is worth I think "dear" is on the sexist side "women" certainly isn't. Neither is a "disgrace" as our host put it.

Also Mike if you think Salmond's "offence" whatever that may be is on the same universe as Carmichael's lie then Liberal defeast have robbed you of any semblence of a sense of perspective.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Not remotely difficult. I did it in about 90 seconds.

n sweets in the bag.
    6 are orange
    The rest are yellow therefore (n-6) are yellow.

The probability of picking two orange sweets (when the first one is not replaced) is (6/n)(5/(n-1)).

Multiply that out gives 30/(n^2 - n).

We are told that the probability of that occurrence is 1/3 and asked to prove that n^2 - n - 90 = 0.

Therefore 30/(n^2 - n) = 1/3.

Multiply both sides by 1/3 and by (n^2 - n) gives 90 = n^2 - n.

Simply subtract 90 from each side to provide the solution.

Solve for n can be done by inspection. It's 10.

Doddle.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Although the IMF does want the EU and ECB to take a haircut. It would not of course apply the same to itself.
    There have been haircuts on the table from the EU and the ECB from day one. But they come with strings. And there Greek government doesn't want to accept the conditions.

As an aside, the IMF has the same requirements for reform that the ECB and the EU have

• Options
    Ukip's appeal against the Tories is about Europe and I think the referendum has effectively shot that fox. Ukip's appeal against Labour goes much wider to include immigration and also the fact the the party leadership thinks most of their w/c supporters have no other choice.

Yes Cameron will probably be gone but there is plenty of talent to replace him with - clearly not the case with Labour. Looking at the north of England Labour did not do well outside the urban strongholds and it looks like they are mistakenly thinking that they lost because they had a crap leader. Their poor result goes much deeper than EdM. Things are trending against them in parts of the north and also in Wales and their success in some parts of London was just that - quite patchy - huge majorities where they are already strong, not many big gain seats beyond that. Apart from Muslims the ethnic vote is trending away from them as well.

I think the obvious disdain they have for many of their white w/c vote will continue to help UKIP, while elsewhere they are under serious threat from the Tories. they could be facing a perfect storm in the next few years. I no longer know, as with the LDs just what their USP is - beyond more spend , more debt and more benefits. Good luck with those.
  • Options
    rullkorullko Posts: 161
    Dair said:

Considering that Mundell will be called and have to give testimony under oath, then it may be that the Liberals are willing to sacrifice Carmichael in order to garner Tory votes and (they must hope) be the best placed challenger to the SNP in more seats than they could otherwise expect to be.

In light of that interview the other week when Mundell was asked about his knowledge of the leak, and seemed extremely keen to answer a totally different question, it would be very interesting if he had to testify in court. Although my faith in the Scots charge of perjury has been shaken somewhat by the aftermath of the Coulson verdict.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

felix

For what it is worth I think "dear" is on the sexist side "women" certainly isn't. Neither is a "disgrace" as our host put it.

Also Mike if you think Salmond's "offence" whatever that may be is on the same universe as Carmichael's lie then Liberal defeast have robbed you of any semblence of a sense of perspective.

There is a difference between being patronising and sexist. As I said, politics is a rough old game - I'm not even sure Soubry herself has complained. There is too much tendency to jump on these 'ism' bandwagons these days and I believe free speech is more important than the odd ruffled feather.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    rcs1000 said:

calum said:

Really, not even if Sturgeon has to testify under oath?
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    There is another point about this manufactured nonsense about Salmond and sexism.

Where is the evidence? He had 40 per cent women in his Cabinet, Brown finished with 14 per cent, Cameron has a low percentage. He also shaped a women as his successor.

Also he came up against many women opponents over the years Goldie, Alexander, Lamont. He was accused of many things but not once to my recall of sexism.

So is this meant to be a trait he has just developed?

It is all a lot of hooey trumpted up by a MSM which hates Salmond because he is a threat. That some men on this site are daft enough to give it credence speaks volumes.

Real gender politics and discrimination are a great deal more fundamental than this. This rubbish just demeans the issue.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

There have been haircuts on the table from the EU and the ECB from day one. But they come with strings. And there Greek government doesn't want to accept the conditions.

As an aside, the IMF has the same requirements for reform that the ECB and the EU have
    The interesting thing is how Syriza are riding high in the polls at the moment. As long as they can continue to keep the creditors at bay on the one hand and restrict the cuts at home on the other, they'll remain so. And so they'll try to do so.

You suspect it'll all end in tears at some point but we've been saying that for four years and it hasn't yet (but then the knowledge of precisely that point is the sort of thing that leads to overconfidence and a failure).
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Felix Wrong on both counts I think. Many only voted Tory to get an EU referendum, they could quite easily switch to UKIP if that referendum does not produce an Out vote, Labour has far fewer potential Out voters going by the polls.

Any white working class voters for whom immigration was the primary concern will already have voted UKIP in 2015, if Burnham, educated at a St Helens comp and a northerner through and through, becomes leader that will be a big change from North London intellectual Ed. Polls also consistently showed Ed Miliband running behind his party, Cameron ran ahead of his
  • Options
    scotslass said:

felix

"dear" in isolation could be argued to be sexist in nature. However, "calm down dear" is a phrase from popular culture and however it's original portrayal in the advert (which again may be sexist especially given the celebrity used) it is now used in a general and non-sexist way being equally applicable to men or women.

In other words neither Cameron or Salmond has behaved inappropriately.