Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest state of play in the battle to become LAB leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest state of play in the battle to become LAB leader

Guido tally of MP declarations for LAB leadership now has Yvette ahead of Burnham
http://t.co/YUOSqBh0ux pic.twitter.com/hUbOBrfDHv

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    The Cooper price is bizarre.

Mind you I said the same about the Lab majority price a few months ago.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2015
    Betfair odds:

Burnham 2.12
    Kendall 2.7
    Cooper 7.2
    Creagh 48

Matched: £333,861

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.103946886
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Cooper vs Kendall in London, bit more Burnam outside the Smoke.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    fpt

Been away for 24 hrs so not read the comments, but looking back at the polls, what is remarkable is that Messina knew the polls were rubbish, Labour thought the Tories were screwed by the ground game (see IOS) but then we now know Labour were hiding the truth from their own supporters, whilst it would be fair to say that some .... cough cough) who had no access to polling data, knew deep down that something was very wrong.
    How the hell did Labour and the Tories know what was what but the polling companies were reporting something completely different???
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Mitcham and Morden: Jowell/Lammy
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited May 2015
    Presumably the seemingly bizarre price on Cooper is based on her expected appeal to the wider membership once the 30 barrier has been crossed?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I think Mr Cooper has been threatening to send the lasagne round.
    Norm said:

Presumably the seemingly bizarre price on Cooper is based on the expected appeal to the wider membership once the 30 barrier has been crossed?

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2015
    Will be interested to see how the BBC can possibly justify this:

https://twitter.com/andrewpolitics/status/604029382915723264

"The other side of the story". The BBC trying to imply Douglas Carswell was "asking for it". He was clearly shaken up from the experience so to include him in the tweet is quite thoughtless.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Betfair odds:

Burnham 2.12
    Kendall 2.7
    Cooper 7.2
    Creagh 48

Matched: £333,861

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.103946886

What's that, a 1.9% return on the top three? Not too bad, even if it does take till the autumn.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

"The other side of the story". The BBC trying to imply Douglas Carswell was "asking for it". He was clearly shaken up from the experience so to include him in the tweet is quite thoughtless.

You're overthinking this. THere's no such implication, least of all Andrew Sinclair!
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

You're overthinking this. THere's no such implication, least of all Andrew Sinclair!
    Yeah you're right. I am most probably overthinking this. It is not like they have given a platform to lowlifes such as Dan Glass. O wait... they have.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Anyone watching The Game?

Wasn't sure what to make of it at first but quite enjoying it now.
  • Options
    Romford #1: Jowell
    Old Bexley and Sidcup #2: Khan

Jowell 32
    Khan 22
    Lammy 8
    Abbott 4
    Thomas 1
    Wolmar 2

Almost halfway stage.
  • Options
    Ruth Davidson on QT shortly. And some others ;-)
  • Options
    Those clever people at SkyBet haven't twigged their price for Khan as candidate is the same as their price for Khan as winner of the mayoralty...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

That's why I am not touching this market with a barge poll despite Cooper's price looking wronger than a wrong thing.
  • Options

I hope she ends up as First Minister of Scotland eventually.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Can anyone explain why this guy got only 6 years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-32919460
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I've just changed my iPlayer settings to the Eastern region and I'm getting London news...
  • Options

Those clever people at SkyBet haven't twigged their price for Khan as candidate is the same as their price for Khan as winner of the mayoralty...

Shush!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Alistair said:

That's why I am not touching this market with a barge poll despite Cooper's price looking wronger than a wrong thing.
    I'm backing Yvette Cooper just now. That price really should close at some point, at which point I can review my options. It's the sort of bet I want to be making, even if it doesn't work out on this occasion.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    FPT re: union 'reforms'. I wonder if they might backfire in another, somewhat unexpected way. The fact is that the unions are largely emasculated as a political threat. There really is very little strike activity compared to the past, however much the tories try to conjure up images of the 70s. And when there are strikes they are often poorly supported. They are easily characterised from the low turnouts in ballots as not carrying the support of their members. And yet... could the new threshold rules potentially turn them into a serious political threat? There is an assumption that it will make strikes harder. But what if the response to the high thresholds is to actually increase member participation in ballots? What if strikes begin to happen with clearly demonstrated ballot box support? With higher effectiveness because members are more likely to strike when they have actually voted for it? Suddenly an easy tory bogeyman becomes a genuine political threat.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,463
    Wes for Liz!

(according to the map!)
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2015

The Lab Maj price was too long. So (even more) was the Con Maj price.

Or, to put it another way, the markets were over-confident that they had it right, and were underestimating the uncertainty. At least in the case of the GE there was polling evidence to support the market view. There's no such evidence (apart from one voodoo LabourList poll) in the Lab leader market.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    FPt:
    Tim_B said:

Several networks are reporting that FIFA has donated $50-100k to the Clinton Foundation.

Awesome - that could give it some legs, nothing like a 'How could this affect 2016?' link to keep a story going.
  • Options
    FPT:
    Dair said:

MTimT said:

@ Dair "Somehow it has been one of the hit shows of this season."

Accreditable entirely to Ms McPhee, methinks. However, she is insufficient to prevent me from changing the channel in super quick time.

Should ratings only work based on the absolute attraction of the female star, then iZombie would be the highest rated show on TV (and even without that it deserves to be).
    I was sceptical, but it's actually a lot of fun. I like the gimmick where the lead picks up on personality traits of the 'victim of the week' (due to eating their brains) and so gets some versatile acting in, and some funny moments.
    Plato said:

I have a bit of masochistic tendency with crap TV and after enduring all of Bloodline on Netflix [that made drying paint look action packed], I'm now trying The 4400.

Golly what a ridiculous show. The acting/script just gets more dire and painfully cliched as it goes on. The plot is visible from space. How it managed to get to four seasons is beyond me. And it was nominated for a handful of Primetime Emmys. WTF?

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

I lasted less than 5 minutes. It's dreadful. It makes The Walking Dead look like an exercise in subtlety

I hond.
    Godshows of this season.
    The a one.
    Awkward. That's one of my favourite TV shows. I still get angry that it was renewed for its final season, then the writer's strike happened, and it was cancelled.

If the police were clever in TV serials they would be over in the first 5 minutes. So stop complaining, it's the viewer, you, they are keeping entertained.

All in good fun I assure you, I like crime procedurals, and you do have to accept certain things to get through them. It's just at some point, however many years in, certain patterns become so repeated my suspension of disbelief falls and I cannot watch it. How soon it happens depends on how good the show is and how ridiculous the show is.

That show 'Lie to Me' I just couldn't take seriously - it's all about a behavioural expert being able to pick up on verbal and visual cues that people cannot control to spot when they are lying...except it's a tv show, so obviously people can fake those cues (they zoom in on them and stuff), so mentally i cannot accept it.
  • Options
    Cooper's timing it right, not causing a fuss or annoying anyone, has the experience factor. Always thought she was more impressive the Mr Cooper.
  • Options
    I've been trying to keep track of what the defeated Lib Dem incumbents have decided about their political futures since 7 May. It seems a central element to the chances of a Lib Dem recovery in 2020, given the extent to which the Lib Dems stress the virtues of the individual candidate. There are relatively few who have so far made it clear that they would like to stand again in 2020. An awful lot are still considering their options, one way or another.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

@ Dair "Somehow it has been one of the hit shows of this season."
    Accreditable entirely to Ms McPhee, methinks.

Quite few old stalwarts of the procedural genre are on the way out or are already gone, the people demand a replacement. In keeping with a lot of shows beginning caricatured, rather than building to it, that seems prevalent the last few years, Scorpion is fitting that bill at present.
    AndyJS said:

Is her defection to the SNP imminent?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

I've been trying to keep track of what the defeated Lib Dem incumbents have decided about their political futures since 7 May. It seems a central element to the chances of a Lib Dem recovery in 2020, given the extent to which the Lib Dems stress the virtues of the individual candidate. There are relatively few who have so far made it clear that they would like to stand again in 2020. An awful lot are still considering their options, one way or another.

I'd have thought most, perhaps nearly all, of them will eventually drift away. Five years is a long time, and the prospect of going back to the good old days is a distant one. Why put your life on hold on the off-chance that the LibDems can inch back from 8 seats into (if they are lucky) the mid-teens, at which level they'll still be irrelevant, and you might not be one of the lucky ones anyway?
  • Options

antifrank said:

I'd have thought most, perhaps nearly all, of them will eventually drift away. Five years is a long time, and the prospect of going back to the good old days is a distant one. Why put your life on hold on the off-chance that the LibDems can inch back from 8 seats into (if they are lucky) the mid-teens, at which level they'll still be irrelevant, and you might not be one of the lucky ones anyway?
    I guess we'll find out how many of the LD MPs were true believers. I wonder if it's about 25-30% like the LD vote turned out to be.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Driving dangerously has never been taken seriously by the judicial system.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I'd have thought most, perhaps nearly all, of them will eventually drift away. Five years is a long time, and the prospect of going back to the good old days is a distant one. Why put your life on hold on the off-chance that the LibDems can inch back from 8 seats into (if they are lucky) the mid-teens, at which level they'll still be irrelevant?
    That is my take also.

2020 is shaping up to be a critically important election in the south west. Three different progressive parties will all be jockeying to become front runner on the left side of local politics. The Lib Dems have the history in the area but look shot. Labour have the national profile but locally have been disorganised for years. The Greens are the new kids on the block and have enthusiasm, a growing vote share but no track record.

UKIP's performance is an essential component also. If the None Of The Above vote deserts them, the Lib Dems and the Greens in particular will be hoping to profit. Equally, if UKIP prosper, the resolution of the battle on the left may be left in doubt for another five years.

I have no idea which of the three is likely to prevail. In the absence of incumbency to help them in sufficient seats, it's hard to see the Lib Dems pulling it off. Anyway, the Conservatives can reasonably hope that 2020 will deliver almost all of the seats in the south west to them again.
  • Options

Indeed, but that's more than driving dangerously.
  • Options

The starting point for even the highest level of culpability is 8 years.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/death_by_dangerous_driving/

But if you mean why the guidelines are what they are... I'd agree it is rather low.
  • Options

But if you compare it to a murder there is a lack of intent to kill. I also suspect that it's not punished so severely because the dangerous driver is also putting their own life at risk.

I'm sure someone else will understand the differences more than I, but naively I would have thought a conviction of manslaughter would be appropriate in a case like this, and I think manslaughter generally carries longer sentences than causing death by dangerous driving.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

I have no idea which of the three is likely to prevail. In the absence of incumbency to help them in sufficient seats, it's hard to see the Lib Dems pulling it off. Anyway, the Conservatives can reasonably hope that 2020 will deliver almost all of the seats in the south west to them again.

I think that most of the 2015 LibDem losses will become safe Conservative or Labour seats. They were painstakingly won in by-elections or as part of the 1997 Tory collapse, and held by incumbency, personal votes and a hell of a lot of local street-by-street work. Even so the LibDem majorities were gradually being eroded. Now that the thread has been broken, I can't see them tying it back together any more than the Three Norns could do.

• Options
    I'm piling in on Cooper. I've rarely lost money trusting Henry's instincts.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I'd have thought most, perhaps nearly all, of them will eventually drift away. Five years is a long time, and the prospect of going back to the good old days is a distant one. Why put your life on hold on the off-chance that the LibDems can inch back from 8 seats into (if they are lucky) the mid-teens, at which level they'll still be irrelevant?
    That is my take also.

2020 is shaping up to be a critically important election in the south west. Three different progressive parties will all be jockeying to become front runner on the left side of local politics. The Lib Dems have the history in the area but look shot. Labour have the national profile but locally have been disorganised for years. The Greens are the new kids on the block and have enthusiasm, a growing vote share but no track record.

UKIP's performance is an essential component also. If the None Of The Above vote deserts them, the Lib Dems and the Greens in particular will be hoping to profit. Equally, if UKIP prosper, the resolution of the battle on the left may be left in doubt for another five years.

I wonder if the Greens might seize the opportunity caused by the Lib Dems' collapse and move a bit more to the centre economically. There's surely still a sizeable middle-class vote, especially in the south-west, who have distaste for the Tories and want to feel morally righteous about voting for a "progressive" party, but who snobbishly turn their nose up at a "working-class" party like Labour (to the extent it's still perceived as such).
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

That is my take also.

I wonder if the Greens might seize the opportunity caused by the Lib Dems' collapse and move a bit more to the centre economically. There's surely still a sizeable middle-class vote, especially in the south-west, who have distaste for the Tories and want to feel morally righteous about voting for a "progressive" party, but who snobbishly turn their nose up at a "working-class" party like Labour (to the extent it's still perceived as such).
    I don't think Greens think like that.

There are plenty of working class people in the West Country. A Kendallite party would win votes there, not at all sure that Burnham or Cooper would.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2015

The maximum sentence for causing death by dangerous driving contrary to section 1 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (the most serious offence to which he pleaded guilty) is fourteen years imprisonment (see the table in Part I of Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988). The offender pleaded guilty, entitling him to a discount of a third depending on when he chose to plead guilty. All the offences to which he pleaded guilty arose out of the same incident, so there is no room for consecutive sentencing. It does seem very difficult, however, to justify a sentence of less than ten years' imprisonment for this offence. It may be that the Attorney General applies to the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) for leave to refers this sentence to that court under the Criminal Justice Act 1988, s. 36.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

ain.
    I've never really noticed a snobbish distaste against voting Labour in my area of the SW - indeed, the areas which do vote LD tend to be the more working class ones - just that it's not something people did in this area if they weren't Tories, at least not anymore. I think a credible Labour leader could shore Labour up as the natural second place (depending on what happens to the UKIP vote) and then the LDs truly are dead.

Although I'm not sure how that helps Labour any in the short or medium term at least. They only hold a few seats now, and won't even be in contention for most of the rest in the SW, and without any recent history in the area either, so what good does replacing the LDs as second place do them, other than the general help of cementing the end of the LDs as a force forever (rather than say 10-20 years) and so reducing the LD impact in more Lab friendly areas in a very loose sense by limiting their national impact?

If the LDs can manage to revive they definitely won't be siding with the Tories, and even now they seem to have the better chance down here (unlike most of England outside the cities, they actually held on to second in a fair few SW seats, even if they did drop to 3rd and 4th in plenty even down here), so it might be better for Lab if the LDs did recover in this region, as I cannot see them breaking through in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I'm piling in on Cooper. I've rarely lost money trusting Henry's instincts.

My biggest green too right now, others have her even bigger backed.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Why was he jailed? He's an Pakistani Male from Rochdale, he should be freed immediately! #racist

If you don't agree you're racist.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-should-liberal-democrats-accept-defeat-and-join-the-two-main-parties-46144.html

'Liz Kendall is a leader that I and many Liberal Democrats could support' - Opinion piece from a Lib Dem voter.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    The Spectator. The great bastion of Toryism are letting Damian McBride do an OpEd. Shows how scared the Westminster Bubble is of the SNP. Go get em Niki.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Sanity reigns - the United States Soccer Federation head honcho just announced he will vote for Prince Ali and not Blatter
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I was sceptical, but it's actually a lot of fun. I like the gimmick where the lead picks up on personality traits of the 'victim of the week' (due to eating their brains) and so gets some versatile acting in, and some funny moments.

I think iZombie is the most fun I've had on a TV show since Reign. And that's while really enjoying Arrow and Flash. iZombie really does kill it for a TV show. The writing is immaculate.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-should-liberal-democrats-accept-defeat-and-join-the-two-main-parties-46144.html

'Liz Kendall is a leader that I and many Liberal Democrats could support' - Opinion piece from a Lib Dem voter.

Though the author does not want to switch power.

Liz Kendall's mum was an LD Councillor. I suspect that on many policies Liz is closer to the LDs than she is to Unite. Liz is too ambitious to be a LibDem, which is surely part of how she came to bd Labour.

• Options
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

I think iZombie is the most fun I've had on a TV show since Reign. And that's while really enjoying Arrow and Flash. iZombie really does kill it for a TV show. The writing is immaculate.
    From the guy who did Veronica Mars I believe? I loved that show too, for similar reasons that you mention.

Good night all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

From the guy who did Veronica Mars I believe? I loved that show too, for similar reasons that you mention.

Good night all.
    I've been waiting to watch Veronica Mars for years and have it on tap downloaded. Still not got there. I suspect from iZombie I might enjoy it.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    kle4 said:

Cooper's timing it right, not causing a fuss or annoying anyone, has the experience factor. Always thought she was more impressive the Mr Cooper.

Should not the experience factor be her problem?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    FIFA - the Canadian federation will also vote for Prince Ali. Numbers apparently still favor Blatter.
  • Options
    Portillo's verdict was that the only candidate the Tories feared was Chuka Umunna.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Sanity reigns - the United States Soccer Federation head honcho just announced he will vote for Prince Ali and not Blatter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEryAoLfnAA
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Before Labour selects a leader it has to decide what it's strategy should be.
    They lost the election because the young were too bored to vote and the old too scared of the SNP into voting Tory in droves.

Labour needs a leader that knows how to get rid of the SNP or at least ban the SNP from coalitions or propping governments for ransom.
    If the SNP is removed as a threat either electorally or by law then the old will not be so scared into voting Tory the next time.

Basically the SNP is a type of militant tendency that needs to be confronted and thrown out.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

antifrank said:

The problem is that the Cleggite types do not think that mid-teens is irrelevant. Holding on to the balance is what they dream of. So Tory 310 would suit them fine or whatever it would be in a 600 member parliament.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

FIFA - the Canadian federation will also vote for Prince Ali. Numbers apparently still favor Blatter.

Just count the member countries on each block, the western block is solidly anti-Blatter, the rest are pro-Blatter because of all the perks that Blatter gives them.
    I think the score so far is Ali 40-60, Blatter 150-170.

The African associations are solidly pro-Blatter and they have 56 out of the 209 associations in FIFA.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

kle4 said:

Should not the experience factor be her problem?
    The woman who came up with HIPS.... really impressive policy-making there. That is not the sort of experience I look for.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Tim_B said:

Just count the member countries on each block, the western block is solidly anti-Blatter, the rest are pro-Blatter because of all the perks that Blatter gives them.

The African associations are solidly pro-Blatter and they have 56 out of the 209 associations in FIFA.

Goodnight.
    I wonder whether the US will indict Blatter before or after the election? I have a feeling it is only a matter of time.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Tim_B said:

Goodnight.
    I wonder whether the US will indict Blatter before or after the election? I have a feeling it is only a matter of time.
    I'm sure that Blatter, like Putin, makes sure that nothing corrupt happens in his own name or his own accounts. It will be interesting to see if they do indict him.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Tim_B said:

Goodnight.
    I'm sure that Blatter, like Putin, makes sure that nothing corrupt happens in his own name or his own accounts. It will be interesting to see if they do indict him.
    I'm sure he has been careful - but people are going to cut deals in return for information. Blatter is almost certain to win - but I am equally certain that someone will squeal with enough to get him indicted.

At the end of the day, the money flowing into FIFA from sponsorship deals can very quickly be diverted into a replacement body set up by those who wish to promote football rather than their own interests. When key footballing nations walk away from Blatter and his cronies and set up New FIFA, will the money follow the key European and South American countries? Of course it will.

Blatter's days are numbered. It will be a matter of whether he spends some of those days awaiting trial...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32921315

It's almost as if they haven't had any SNP members before.... oh wait. Idiots.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Betfair has a stack of cash queued for Liz Kendall, which may stop her price drifting too far. No doubt this is from genuine punters.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2015
    EuroRef:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11636916/France-accuses-David-Cameron-of-trying-to-dismantle-European-Union.html
    It follows reports that France and Germany have agreed a pact which will enable closer integration in Europe without treaty change, in a significant blow to Mr Cameron's plans.

It has also emerged that Mr Cameron will be able to use the full weight of the the government to support his campaign for Britain to stay in a reformed EU.

During the run up to the referendum on Scottish independence, the government was banned from publishing material that argued "for or against any outcome".

The EU referendum bill, however, makes clear that restrictions on publishing "promotional material" will not apply in the run up to the historic vote.
    Clearly some new usage of the word "fair" to which I hadn't previously been exposed.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Speedy said:

They lost the election because the young were too bored to vote and the old too scared of the SNP into voting Tory in droves.

Labour needs a leader that knows how to get rid of the SNP or at least ban the SNP from coalitions or propping governments for ransom.
    If the SNP is removed as a threat either electorally or by law then the old will not be so scared into voting Tory the next time.

Basically the SNP is a type of militant tendency that needs to be confronted and thrown out.

The main reason the older voter avoids Labour is not because of the SNP -as ever it was the economy stupid. EdMs lack of credibility here was the key factor.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

How did he get a hire car without a driving licence? On the other hand it was stated he was driving without insurance, is that possible in a hire car? I know you can adjust waivers to the minimum but there is always an element of insurance in the deal. More to the story I think.

Meanwhile I still think he should have got life. When people do that I see the car as a weapon, death is very likely and the weapon is no different to a gun or a knife. Sadly this scumbag with good behaviour could be out and carrying on with his life just in time to vote in person at the local polling station in the EU referendum.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452
    On the subject of the EuroRef as well, I'm flabbergasted by the stupidity of some of the comments in this report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32925582

If Volker Trier was in the pay of Nigel Farage, he couldn't have come up with a more useful interview for Better off Out. What sort of idiot says that (1) a foreign country should not listen to its people and (2) that if it asks for something it should be ignored?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    AndyJS said:

Pigs will be flying before that is ever likely to be even a very remote possibility
  • Options
    felix said:

Speedy said:

The main reason the older voter avoids Labour is not because of the SNP -as ever it was the economy stupid. EdMs lack of credibility here was the key factor.
    Get this nutjob a strait jacket and get him where he belongs , seriously needs help.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

Get this nutjob a strait jacket and get him where he belongs , seriously needs help.
    I was of course pointing at the original post , not Felix's intelligent response.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Its a fun graphic but the only relevance of MP endorsements is to get to the green. After that the votes of MPs are no more valuable than anyone else with £3 to burn. I think we should be wary of using MP support for some kind of proxy for support in the party. That is not necessarily the case at all.

Friends in the Labour party I have spoken to are still largely in a state of shock from the catastrophe in Scotland and the GE generally. Even those active in the party admit they know very little about either Liz Kendall or Mary Creagh. Burnham is generally thought to be a bit dull and Cooper lacking in personality. None of those I have spoken to think any of the choices is going to help them much north of the border.

Liz Kendall is generating some good publicity and favourable comment but her main attraction is undoubtedly that she is something fresh and new. Whether that will be enough to overcome name recognition issues is harder to say. Given the nature of the electorate I think this is a very hard one to call and I would respect Henry's comments about Cooper's organisation.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

How did he get a hire car without a driving licence? On the other hand it was stated he was driving without insurance, is that possible in a hire car? I know you can adjust waivers to the minimum but there is always an element of insurance in the deal. More to the story I think.

Meanwhile I still think he should have got life. When people do that I see the car as a weapon, death is very likely and the weapon is no different to a gun or a knife. Sadly this scumbag with good behaviour could be out and carrying on with his life just in time to vote in person at the local polling station in the EU referendum.
    I wondered that about the hire car. I think any insurance would have been voided by his lack of a licence.

Agree that the sentence is too lenient, but it's consistent with sentencing for fatal driving offences in general. There have been some cases recently involving cyclists.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

I was of course pointing at the original post , not Felix's intelligent response.
    Lol - many thanks :)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    edited May 2015
    Moses_ said:

I’ve just hired a car, consequent upon a delay in reparing mine. I wasn’t asked to actually produce a driving licence; I was asked if I could produce one if asked. However, I was in the service department of a dealership where I’ve been a regular customer for over 10 years. I hadn’t just walked in off the street.

I do though, agree with Mr OblitusSumMe; driving offences resulting in fatalities seem to attract disproportionatly low sentences
  • Options
    surbiton said:

antifrank said:

The problem is that the Cleggite types do not think that mid-teens is irrelevant. Holding on to the balance is what they dream of. So Tory 310 would suit them fine or whatever it would be in a 600 member parliament.
    The past results of ex LD MPs standing again in the seat that they lost are not good. Newbury and Guildford for example.
  • Options
    I agree with Felix. While @DavidL's post is interesting, Scotland is irrelevant in the battle for power at Westminster, and if Labour are blind to that truth by the sheer scale of what happened, they run the real risk of ignoring the key message of the election.

Let's look dispassionately at Scotland. The SNP may, or may not, sustain this level of performance, and they may, or may not, take Scotland independent. However, if they dip from this level - which seems likely, because no political party can sustain such hegemony indefinitely in a democratic system - it is, the way the system is set up, just as likely to benefit the Conservatives as Labour. Let's be generous and assume Labour take 10 seats in Scotland next time. On a uniform swing replicated across Scotland, which as we all know is such a good guide to elections(!) if Labour take 10 the Tories would take around 7 Scottish seats and the Liberal Democrats around 5. So that would leave Labour a whole three to the good ahead of their main rivals.

The next election will be won and lost in England. It will not be in London and the big conurbations, where Labour already have a strong presence and can't increase their number of seats by much more. It will not be in the south, where the Tories have strengthened their grip to an extent undreamed of since 1983. It will be therefore won and lost in the semi-rural Midlands and North, where people who do not have large incomes and have no innate hostility to the NHS but at the same time want to get on in life will be voting on the basis of the party best placed to run the economy - to secure their jobs/businesses.

Therefore, if Labour have any sense, they will pick somebody who can appeal to that group, who understands it and can talk to them (rather than at them, as Labour have been doing for 10 years).

Small problem - of the four candidates so far declared, not one of them is capable of doing so. Mary Creagh is an idiot. Yvette Cooper is patronising. Andrew Burnham is tainted (and not exactly inspiring even if he wasn't). Liz Kendall would be the closest thing Labour have to such a figure, but I simply don't think she carries the intellectual guns to face whichever leader the Tories select to replace Cameron.

So what's Labour's answer? They already seem to have decided it, unofficially - a caretaker for three years to sort out some of the damage done by Miliband's disorganization and complacency, then find a proper candidate when they know who the next PM will be.

Betting opportunities - Dan Jarvis still looks worth a shot to be Labour leader before the next election. The other to keep an eye on in case Labour go for a Howard-style coronation under this scenario might still be Jon Cruddas.
  • Options
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

Good night all.
    I've been waiting to watch Veronica Mars for years and have it on tap downloaded. Still not got there. I suspect from iZombie I might enjoy it.
    The first season of Veronica Mars is some of the best television you'll watch, the second season is great, the third season is a bit all over the place.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EuroRef:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11636916/France-accuses-David-Cameron-of-trying-to-dismantle-European-Union.html

It follows reports that France and Germany have agreed a pact which will enable closer integration in Europe without treaty change, in a significant blow to Mr Cameron's plans.

It has also emerged that Mr Cameron will be able to use the full weight of the the government to support his campaign for Britain to stay in a reformed EU.

During the run up to the referendum on Scottish independence, the government was banned from publishing material that argued "for or against any outcome".

The EU referendum bill, however, makes clear that restrictions on publishing "promotional material" will not apply in the run up to the historic vote.
    Clearly some new usage of the word "fair" to which I hadn't previously been exposed.

Then why did I get leaflets from the British government explaining why we were better together? Is it because they didn't explicitly say "Vote No"?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Then why did I get leaflets from the British government explaining why we were better together? Is it because they didn't explicitly say "Vote No"?

If it didn't explicitly say 'vote no', and just confined itself to statistics etc. it could be passed off as an information leaflet and therefore not 'arguing for or against any outcome'.

Since the economic arguments were pretty clear-cut anyway, except apparently to Alex Salmond, I think they could probably have got away with that one. The EU campaign would probably be similar in that respect, even without this clause.
  • Options
    Lets have a little laugh this morning:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3101508/It-ll-huge-Donald-Trump-reportedly-set-June-16-presidential-announcement-Trump-Tower-New-York-City.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vEDQRJRSA

It will never be a good election result, but if the republicans nominate him it will be a historic result.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Indigo said:

EuroRef:

Because they are lying cheating toerags.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Tim_B said:

I will believe when I see it, the US is up to its neck in the corruption scandal.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,995
    Speedy said:

Lets have a little laugh this morning:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3101508/It-ll-huge-Donald-Trump-reportedly-set-June-16-presidential-announcement-Trump-Tower-New-York-City.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vEDQRJRSA

It will never be a good election result, but if the republicans nominate him it will be a historic result.

With Santorum as his running mate.
  • Options
    If anyone having thought of Trump as PResident wants another laugh, mixed perhaps with tears, perhaps they should read this as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/28/welsh-labour-identity-polls

Given that Leighton Andrews was forced to resign for abuse of power, then had to be brought back because all other senior Labour figures were abusing their power even more (google Alun Davies farm payments to see what I mean) and he is personally responsible for the disastrous collapse of the WElsh HE sector, the fact he is now promoting his model as one for the UK Labour party to follow means we should be very glad that Labour lost!
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Tim_B said:

I will believe when I see it, the US is up to its neck in the corruption scandal.
    If so then I would expect the USA to clean up its act. It was the US authorities that exposed the corruption in the Olympics bidding process.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympic_bid_scandal

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,995
    ydoethur said:

On the subject of the EuroRef as well, I'm flabbergasted by the stupidity of some of the comments in this report:

If Volker Trier was in the pay of Nigel Farage, he couldn't have come up with a more useful interview for Better off Out. What sort of idiot says that (1) a foreign country should not listen to its people and (2) that if it asks for something it should be ignored?

The more comments like that, the better.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    It's a paradox that older voters do not say, "My son votes Labour, my grandson votes Labour so I'll vote Labour".
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,674
    ydoethur said:

He's in denial. From his point of view, it will set an even more dangerous precedent for the EU if the UK votes to leave because of its obstinacy.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

If anyone having thought of Trump as PResident wants another laugh, mixed perhaps with tears, perhaps they should read this as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/28/welsh-labour-identity-polls

Given that Leighton Andrews was forced to resign for abuse of power, then had to be brought back because all other senior Labour figures were abusing their power even more (google Alun Davies farm payments to see what I mean) and he is personally responsible for the disastrous collapse of the WElsh HE sector, the fact he is now promoting his model as one for the UK Labour party to follow means we should be very glad that Labour lost!

An unfortunate side effect of the debates is that I can't read an article by a Welshman without imagining it being spoken in Leanne's accent...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He's in denial. From his point of view, it will set an even more dangerous precedent for the EU if the UK votes to leave because of its obstinacy.
    He said that Britain leaving would be bad for both Britain and Germany and may adversely impact on the 400 000 jobs in the UK with German employers. It seems a reasonable view to me:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32925350

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, everyone.

That Andrew Sinclair tweet is a disgrace. It reminds me of when Sky's Tom Parmenter[sp] 'interviewed' three looters the day after they were robbing shops in London.

And his self-righteous 'it's freedom of speech': freedom of speech doesn't include the right to violently attack someone and then get a lovely interview on the state broadcaster.
  • Options
    Junker is permanently half cooked !
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

ydoethur said:

It also explains why he works for their equivalent of the CBI rather than actually in business.

A blanket refusal to negotiate terms with a partner who wants to amend a contractual relationship is a very very high risk strategy.
  • Options

He said that Britain leaving would be bad for both Britain and Germany and may adversely impact on the 400 000 jobs in the UK with German employers. It seems a reasonable view to me:

And he may be right - so why is he saying that Germany should refuse to negotiate to keep Britain in the EU? It's not logical. It's not even sensible. As for the suggestion that asking the people their views is 'astonishing...'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So what's Labour's answer? They already seem to have decided it, unofficially - a caretaker for three years to sort out some of the damage done by Miliband's disorganization and complacency, then find a proper candidate when they know who the next PM will be.

Betting opportunities - Dan Jarvis still looks worth a shot to be Labour leader before the next election. The other to keep an eye on in case Labour go for a Howard-style coronation under this scenario might still be Jon Cruddas.

Isn't the caretaker leader set-up a ruse to smooth the path for David Miliband?

It gives him time to finish his contract in New York, re-enter the Commons without undue haste and perhaps even do a loyal stint in the Shadow Cabinet before being prevailed upon to take over the leadership "for the good of the Party".

Whether it could ever pan out as smoothly as his supporters would hope is open to question, but it's the only reason that makes sense to me for electing an interim leader now, rather than simply choosing their best candidate for 2020 straight away.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And he may be right - so why is he saying that Germany should refuse to negotiate to keep Britain in the EU? It's not logical. It's not even sensible. As for the suggestion that asking the people their views is 'astonishing...'
    He said that any British renegotiation would lead to re-negotiation by other countries too.

By opposing renegotiation, he is arguing that the remainder of the EU can remain on current terms (which are really good for German industry). Britain should be voting on current terms, which is much in agreement with what the BOOers say.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,295
    edited May 2015
    ydoethur said:

Since the economic arguments were pretty clear-cut anyway, except apparently to Alex Salmond, I think they could probably have got away with that one.

So clear cut that HMG decided to waste your & my money restating them? How extravagant.

They must have been disappointed that 45% of voters were also immune to the strength of their overstated arguments.

• Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

It also explains why he works for their equivalent of the CBI rather than actually in business.

A blanket refusal to negotiate terms with a partner who wants to amend a contractual relationship is a very very high risk strategy.
    I would have thought treating a business partner with that level of disrespect, especially publicly, is not so much 'high risk' as 'stone certainty'. I wouldn't deal with anyone who thought my views and wishes were irrelevant, or who seemed incapable of imagining that I have the right to different views from him.

Fortunately, Angela Merkel is not likely to be so foolish as to reject such ideas out of hand. But it does rather sum up the difficulty Britain and the EU have relating to each other - Europe simply doesn't get that by virtue of being an island, we have had a different pattern of development and therefore a different outlook from them. As a result, they seem to often resort to childish abuse more appropriate to a jilted boyfriend than reasoned discussion between equal partners.
This discussion has been closed.