Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Developments this afternoon show that Yvette Cooper is stil

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    It is little wonder that so few Christian clergymen wish to be associated with the modern Conservative Party. The latter adheres to a code of ethics totally at variance with their basic principles and their sense of human decency.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    (Not for the first time!) the po-faced Guardian has a sense of humour failure - see the 15.43 entry:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/may/27/queens-speech-2015-politics-live
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Uncle Sam gets a bit twitchy when large scale corruption is undertaken using Dollars as the favoured currency. ''

Also US banks were used to make the alleged illegal payments, according to radio reports I heard this morning.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760
    edited May 2015

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The Queens Speech rather suggests that the Arbeit Macht Frei wing of the Tory party is very much in the ascendancy.

Huzzah, does this mean we get to gas the undesirables ?
    Oh no - I think you will find that imposed human suffering leading to starvation and rotting on the streets is much the preferred option.
    That'll do me.

Dave's been such a disappointment so far on that front.
    Actually, it's just reminded me of the Tory Cabinet ministers and MPs singing Tomorrow Belongs to Me on Spitting Image.
    Time for Dave to invade Poland.

I don't the UK has the space for all these Arbeit Macht Frei camps.
    Or maybe he could liberate Ukraine from the Russians and enforce the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk?
    I'm not too keen on getting involved there. The British army has an inglorious record there.

Far too much wooly thinking by the Earl of Cardigan during the Charge of the Light Brigade/at the Battle of Balaclava.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,252
    Alistair said:

justin124 said:

The Queens Speech rather suggests that the Arbeit Macht Frei wing of the Tory party is very much in the ascendancy.

That's a very offensive comment. You should be ashamed of it.
    Yeah, because no PB Tory has ever suggested the SNP were Nazis.
    A daily occurence from some of the riff raff on here. Big jessies like to give it out but are cry babies if anyone says Boo to them.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :smiley:
    It probably isn’t an ambition school careers advisers have to deal with very often.

“Well, Jenkins. Have you given any thought to what you might like to do once you leave school?”

“Yes, sir. I’d like to be Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary.”

“I’m sorry, Jenkins, I’m not sure I caught that.”

“Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary, sir. It’s a job this bloke does at the Queen’s Speech, sir. I’m not quite sure what it is he does, but I really like his costume.”

“Hmm. Yes. I see. Jenkins, you know that I’m keen to encourage you, but openings in the field of Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary are notoriously thin on the ground. What A-levels are you taking?”

“Geography, Metalwork and PE, sir.”

“Hmm. I see. I fear, Jenkins, that Fitzalan Pusuivant Extraordinary may not be the right path for you.”

“Oh, but sir! It’s my lifelong dream, sir!”

“Not to worry, Jenkins. Have you ever considered applying to be Master of the Horse, instead? Or Garter King of Arms? I hear there might be a vacancy coming up for Maltravers Herald Extraordinary.”

“Oh, sir! That’s not fair, sir! No one wants to be Maltravers Herald Extraordinary, sir!”
    >>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/queens-speech/11633311/Queens-Speech-sketch-The-silence-of-the-Skinner.html
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    justin124 said:

It is little wonder that so few Christian clergymen wish to be associated with the modern Conservative Party. The latter adheres to a code of ethics totally at variance with their basic principles and their sense of human decency.

rather depends who you're talking about, doesn't it? The parliamentary party, some members of which enjoy spending time on yachts with peter mandelsonand selected russians. Alternatively, the rank and file, some of whom, if you could be bothered to find out, are probably quite decent
  • Options
    justin124 said:

but this talk of "Christian clergy" suggests you're merely on a trolling mission anyway
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    justin124 said:

Ah, bless. De dums little baby.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    CONCACAF is headquartered in Miami. Many of the meetings were held in the US. Many wire transfers went through the US banking system. Many of the sports marketing companies are US based.

You give Uncle Sam openings like that and it's over.

Apparently there have now been 6 guilty pleas.

The emphasis is that this is the beginning of the investigation.
  • Options
    Plato said:

:smiley:

It probably isn’t an ambition school careers advisers have to deal with very often.

“Well, Jenkins. Have you given any thought to what you might like to do once you leave school?”

“Yes, sir. I’d like to be Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary.”

“I’m sorry, Jenkins, I’m not sure I caught that.”

“Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary, sir. It’s a job this bloke does at the Queen’s Speech, sir. I’m not quite sure what it is he does, but I really like his costume.”

“Hmm. Yes. I see. Jenkins, you know that I’m keen to encourage you, but openings in the field of Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary are notoriously thin on the ground. What A-levels are you taking?”

“Geography, Metalwork and PE, sir.”

“Hmm. I see. I fear, Jenkins, that Fitzalan Pusuivant Extraordinary may not be the right path for you.”

“Oh, but sir! It’s my lifelong dream, sir!”

“Not to worry, Jenkins. Have you ever considered applying to be Master of the Horse, instead? Or Garter King of Arms? I hear there might be a vacancy coming up for Maltravers Herald Extraordinary.”

“Oh, sir! That’s not fair, sir! No one wants to be Maltravers Herald Extraordinary, sir!”
    >>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/queens-speech/11633311/Queens-Speech-sketch-The-silence-of-the-Skinner.html

in Blackadder there was a witch smeller pursuivant
  • Options
    If there's a vacancy, I hear PAt McQuaid is available
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The emphasis is that this is the beginning of the investigation.''

The fact the election is going ahead with this happening is quite simply astounding.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Is Justin just trolling? Starting to look like it.

I, for one, am a committed Christian and Tory.
  • Options
    We've had the AG, the US Attorney, the FBI chief, and now the IRS Chief of Criminal Investigation. This is going to be a big deal folks. Wouldn't be surprised to see Blatter - who said he would not stand for a 5th time - suddenly decide not to run 'for the good of the game'.

They are also talking about COMMMEBOL, whatever that is. They're nailing them too.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Blimey - Bercow just did something that I liked.

He slapped down the entire SNP cohort for applauding in the House. And quite right too.

Let's hope they start to respect the House a little more.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2015
    "this is the World Cup of fraud, and we're issuing FIFA with a red card"

The IRS confirming that they have no sense of humour.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    justin124 said:

Ihe latter adheres to a code of ethics totally at variance with their basic principles and their sense of human decency.

Like building gilded catherdrals whilst the poor starve and abusing children ?

The church will be finished within a generation in the Uk.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135
    edited May 2015
    justin124 said:

I've never voted Tory, but it does not speak well of millions upon millions of people if you feel they have so little human decency that they would support the Tories, where decent clergy could not bring themselves to you say. Even if you believe those millions are dupes, it does not speak well of them.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    justin124 said:

Tough. I am so, so bored of being snivelled at by self-righteous little numpties like you. The people have spoken, and they have spoken in favour of a small state, sound money, the end of welfare dependence, and recreational foxhunting. Get used to it, and save your whingeing for next year's Evisceration of the NHS (So Its Own Mother Wouldn't Recognise It) Bill.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

He slapped down the entire SNP cohort for applauding in the House. And quite right too.

@anntreneman: First the Seating War and now the Clapping War. It's a lot more grown up with the sitting and clapping ...

They really do think they are in nursery school
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Anorak said:

"this is the World Cup of fraud, and we're issuing FIFA with a red card"

The IRS confirming that they have no sense of humour.

Swiss tailors are doing a roaring trade in new, clean trousers this afternoon.
  • Options
    Question - you have indicted former head of FIFA, but not the current one.

Answer - the investigation is ongoing, and cannot comment on Mr Blatter.

Further comment that they are seeking further defendants not yet in custody.
  • Options

I'm definitely running my the SNP are the British Hamas piece this weekend now.

Salmond has the beard I suppose.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    justin124 said:

With people like the late Rev. Waddington (Dean of Manchester) and Welby's investigation of abuses by clergy then I think the church has enough to worry about putting its own house in order. Then there are the shameful episodes in the catholic church or the habits of some evangelicals in the US like the Westboro Baptists

Frankly, who wants to be associated with clergy? Count me out.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

@anntreneman: First the Seating War and now the Clapping War. It's a lot more grown up with the sitting and clapping ...

The white roses that many of them are sporting today makes it look as if they are on their way back from a wedding.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

We've had the AG, the US Attorney, the FBI chief, and now the IRS Chief of Criminal Investigation. This is going to be a big deal folks. Wouldn't be surprised to see Blatter - who said he would not stand for a 5th time - suddenly decide not to run 'for the good of the game'.

They are also talking about COMMMEBOL, whatever that is. They're nailing them too.

maybe he can run for president of the Andorran FA- no extradition treaty with the US.. luvly jubly. soccer standard not so great, maybe difficult to travel. perhaps malidives a better bet..
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

I've never voted Tory, but it does not speak well of millions upon millions of people if you feel they have so little human decency that they would support the Tories, where decent clergy could not bring themselves to you say. Even if you believe those millions are dupes, it does not speak well of them.
    Out of interest, who did you vote for this time in the end?!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Shame the Dept. of Justice can't run to a roving mike to give the questioners....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

have you not seen parliament before?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Also, I agree that Yvette's chances are being underrated. As has been pointed out she apparently does have very good organisation, but also there's a feeling among some in the party (which I don't really agree with, as such) that "it's time for a woman leader", but with Kendall being beyond the pale for a lot of people saying that.
  • Options
    Question - were the arrests timed to correspond with the leadership election on Friday?

answer - tend to act when the evidence comes together, so cannot control that.

talking heads - getting them when they are all in Switzerland makes extradition much easier than from some of their home countries.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

maybe he can run for president of the Andorran FA- no extradition treaty with the US.. luvly jubly. soccer standard not so great, maybe difficult to travel. perhaps malidives a better bet..
    Andorra would be good - I've been there and there is sweet FA there :)
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Shame the Dept. of Justice can't run to a roving mike to give the questioners....

there are two......

The ESPN feed is much better than the others.

Some questions are unbelievably dumb - why did it take this long to get to this point?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

We've had the AG, the US Attorney, the FBI chief, and now the IRS Chief of Criminal Investigation.

The Lynch Mob?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2015
    Tim_B said:

I think you mean CONMEBOL (South American football Confederation) - The others are CONCACAF for N America, UEFA for Europe, Russia etc, CAF for Africa and AFC for Asia.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

We've had the AG, the US Attorney, the FBI chief, and now the IRS Chief of Criminal Investigation.

The Lynch Mob?
    Yup, Loretta Lynch - she's come a long way since "Coal-miner's Daughter"!
  • Options
    Learnt today that the Head of the FBI is 6 foot 8 inches tall.....
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I think you mean CONMEBOL (South American football Confederation) - The others are CONCACAF for N America, UEFA for Europe, Russia etc, CAF for Africa and AFC for Asia.
    Yup - the south american one.
  • Options

Learnt today that the Head of the FBI is 6 foot 8 inches tall.....

and has a great sense of humor
  • Options
    If Yvette wins will EdB become the house husband? I notice he's already taking clothes to the dry cleaners.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

A daily occurence from some of the riff raff on here. Big jessies like to give it out but are cry babies if anyone says Boo to them.
    Daily? I do think your exaggerating a tad there! ;)
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    justin124 said:

Given the pomp of the Cof E, and the Catholic Church in the UK and their association with child abuse, and their wealth which is in £billions , I would not wish to be approved of by them if I were a political party.

Their wealth alone is at complete variance with the teachings of Christ.
    As for the cover up of child abuse, iirc Christ had some unusually harsh words to say about such practices.

• Options
    The member states of UEFA should demand a complete re-vote on the venues for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments, both of which they should boycott if refused.
  • Options
    It was mentioned that the a US major sportswear company is involved in bribes and kickbacks to the Brazilian federation. Is Nike now involved in this?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,326

The member states of UEFA should demand a complete re-vote on the venues for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments, both of which they should boycott if refused.

I doubt Russia as a member of UEFA would be up for that.
  • Options

No Russians or Qataris arrested so far..
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Also, I agree that Yvette's chances are being underrated. As has been pointed out she apparently does have very good organisation, but also there's a feeling among some in the party (which I don't really agree with, as such) that "it's time for a woman leader", but with Kendall being beyond the pale for a lot of people saying that.

Wrong leader + wrong reason = right party in opposition.
    Keep it up. For myself I wonder at the judgement of someone who went out of his way to vote for Vincent Cable.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,270

justin124 said:

Given the pomp of the Cof E, and the Catholic Church in the UK and their association with child abuse, and their wealth which is in £billions , I would not wish to be approved of by them if I were a political party.

As for the cover up of child abuse, iirc Christ had some unusually harsh words to say about such practices.
    Although nowhere near the scale of the Catholic church's problems, there have been child abuse scandals in the CoE as well.

http://news.sky.com/story/1112679/church-of-englands-apology-over-sex-abuse
  • Options
    In more important news, I see the SNP have been clapping again. Outrageous...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Question - were the arrests timed to correspond with the leadership election on Friday?

answer - tend to act when the evidence comes together, so cannot control that.

talking heads - getting them when they are all in Switzerland makes extradition much easier than from some of their home countries.

Assuming they have to be together in Switzerland to vote and FIFA are registered in Swiss law then it seems pretty obvious tactics.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Bercow is making Clegg wait to speak in the Queen's Speech debate. Parliament is a ruthless place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048

Frying pans and fires !
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mongs will be mongs.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Several folks saying that it's obvious there has been worldwide frustration with FIFA for many years, why did nobody else do anything before the US stepped up?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Mongs will be mongs.
    Careful now, apparently us PB Tories have used up at least one of our quotas of offensive words for the day :p
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    RobD said:

They were too excitable after a chip lunch, and a ride in a motor car for the first time.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Frying pans and fires !
    Nonsense. safe pair of hands. Plenty of relevant experience :)
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Turps on two for one offer today?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think the SNP should get the clap they so richly deserve.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,630
    Tim_B said:

CONMEBOL is the South American soccer federation (equivalent of UEFA in Europe).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONMEBOL
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    probably it takes a country with an aggressive legal system which doesn't care that much if the world cup is cancelled?

(in reply to Tim_B)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

justin124 said:

The wealth of the C of E is used to pay pretty modest (in relation to their level of qualification) salaries and pensions to clergy, to pay for the upkeep of churches, and to provide social services. All of these things inevitably cost money.

While there have been cases of clerical child abuse in the UK, to be honest, the worst examples of abuse (eg childrens' homes, or Rotherham) have come from outside the churches.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2015
    Nothing specific on boundary changes in the Queens Speech.

However there is a Votes for Life Bill - see link - page 96.

That could potentially be used to put in clauses for:

- going back to 650 MPs
    - automatic implementation of reviews in 2018 (ie no Parliamentary votes required).

If no changes to legislation the review kicks off automatically in early 2016 based on 2015 electorates with 600 MPs - reports to be issued by 1 October 2018, must then be approved by Commons + Lords.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/430149/QS_lobby_pack_FINAL_NEW_2.pdf
  • Options
    edited May 2015

probably it takes a country with an aggressive legal system which doesn't care that much if the world cup is cancelled?

(in reply to Tim_B)

Surely it wouldn't need to be canceled - any one of the last few host countries could step up with a few months notice, as they already have the infrastructure in place.

All it takes is a FIFA vote (plus presumably the usual bribes and kickbacks).
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Surely it wouldn't need to be canceled - any one of the last few host countries could step up with a few months notice, as they already have the infrastructure in place.

Yes, I'm sure the USA could be persuaded to take on that burden if Russia were ruled out of 2018.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Tim_B said:

Yes, I'm sure the USA could be persuaded to take on that burden if Russia were ruled out of 2018.
    I was thinking more in terms of France, Germany, South Africa or Brazil. They've all hosted more recently than the USA.

They would all (except Brazil) avoid the time zone problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

There's simply too much money at stake to see either the 2018 or 2022 World Cups cancelled or moved. A cynical view perhaps, but one I'd stake money on.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

have you not seen parliament before?
    It appears not.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MikeL said:

That's surprising. You would think that the time to change the law to make the boundary changes automatic would be at the start of the Parliament. Perhaps they will bundle that up with the vote on approving the new set of boundaries in 2018, precisely so that they can avoid amendments to put the numbers of MPs back up to 650.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    If the fragrant Yvette does win then the Tories will have her by the Balls.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

There's simply too much money at stake to see either the 2018 or 2022 World Cups cancelled or moved. A cynical view perhaps, but one I'd stake money on.
    You may be right - certainly there would need to be compensation paid for work already done to host the event, in the case of moving it.
  • Options
    saddened said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

How juvenile can a cretin like you get, you sad sack.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It got Scott stamping his feet in outrage no less
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

I think the SNP should get the clap they so richly deserve.
    Think you need to lay of the burgers , you will be mooing shortly
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

The Swiss have also opened a separate investigation into the bidding process for the World Cup tournaments in 2018 in Russia and 2022 in Qatar. - If the outcome is lees than sub-optimal for FIFA, who knows what may happen to these fixtures.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Daily? I do think your exaggerating a tad there! ;)
    TSE tries to get it in most days , add not so flash dead harry and I am almost correct
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Mongs will be mongs.
    Dear Dear
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Boo hoo, the Jessie hands it out but can't take it. You should put more irn bru in it, you tart.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2015

MikeL said:

That's surprising. You would think that the time to change the law to make the boundary changes automatic would be at the start of the Parliament. Perhaps they will bundle that up with the vote on approving the new set of boundaries in 2018, precisely so that they can avoid amendments to put the numbers of MPs back up to 650.
    But by waiting Cameron risks losing the vote in 2018 - by when his majority will probably be smaller.

There is also the issue that the Parliament Act doesn't apply to Statutory Instruments (which is the implementation mechanism) - so if the Lords vote the Statutory Instrument down in 2018 it can't be forced through (not sure whether can be sent back a 2nd time).

Bottom line is that it's very risky leaving it to the votes in 2018. Much safer to get it into law now that the PM lays the reports directly to the Queen without need for Parliamentary vote.

I have a feeling they are going to stick a clause in the Votes for Life Bill.
  • Options
    saddened said:

malcolmg said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Boo hoo, the Jessie hands it out but can't take it. You should put more irn bru in it, you tart.
    You have to be about fourteeen for sure , Irn Bru is sugary sh*t for wimps.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

You have to be about fourteeen for sure , Irn Bru is sugary sh*t for wimps.
    Loser. Stick to shouting at strangers in the street.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PickardJE: Union official says the Tories have "started a bloody war".

"When we’re next in power we will make Tory donors jump through 100 hoops."

Umm, when exactly do the unions think they might be in power, ever?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

You may be right - certainly there would need to be compensation paid for work already done to host the event, in the case of moving it.
    The FIFA organisation itself might not survive all of this.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Out of interest, who did you vote for this time in the end?!
    I ended up voting LD again, without much enthusiasm admittedly. I didn't fear a Labour win but was not enthused about the prospect, and despite some major failings I went the Indy route and figured a return to the Coalition would be the best outcome, plus I felt sorry for the LDs. The Greens I considered on the basis of wishing as many parties as possible to do well, but I didn't even get a leaflet from them so I didn't feel they deserved my vote. UKIP didn't need my vote to do well in national vote share either.

I felt reasonably ok with Cameron the 'comfortable in coalition' type leader, so I do wonder how I will feel with him now free of those shackles and in the shackles placed by his backbenchers.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

The Swiss have also opened a separate investigation into the bidding process for the World Cup tournaments in 2018 in Russia and 2022 in Qatar. - If the outcome is lees than sub-optimal for FIFA, who knows what may happen to these fixtures.
    They may be leading it, but you know there will be heavy DOJ involvement.

As AG Loretta Lynch said this morning - The indictment alleges corruption that is rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted both abroad and here in the United States.

The Swiss will not be alone.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Tim_B said:

Several folks saying that it's obvious there has been worldwide frustration with FIFA for many years, why did nobody else do anything before the US stepped up?

For some reason Fifa is too powerful for national governments it seems.
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Union official says the Tories have "started a bloody war".

"When we’re next in power we will make Tory donors jump through 100 hoops."

Umm, when exactly do the unions think they might be in power, ever?

Did they explain what is intrinsically wrong in asking people to make a positive decision to contribute financially to a union political fund rather than it being automatic?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

You might think that - I couldn't possibly comment :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

If it can be proven that the tournament was won by bribes, then I would think that no compensation would be due to the perpetrators.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

"Too difficult to move"
    "Unfair on sponsors and other stakeholders who have already invested in these locations"
    "Actions of a few should not derail a process which was otherwise spotless"
    "These actions were unfortunate but it would not have changed the outcome"
    "We'll make sure it's all hunky-dory ... next time"
    "Putin has threatened to invade Switzerland if we cancel it"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Tim_B said:

Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

Scrapping FIFA may be the only way to fix the problem. It would be a fitting end to Sepp Blatters career.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Tim_B said:

(in reply to Tim_B)

"Too difficult to move"
    "Unfair on sponsors and other stakeholders who have already invested in these locations"
    "Actions of a few should not derail a process which was otherwise spotless"
    "These actions were unfortunate but it would not have changed the outcome"
    "We'll make sure it's all hunky-dory ... next time"
    "Putin has threatened to invade Switzerland if we cancel it"
    Brilliant. You should win a prize if one statement ends up containing all of those at once, which wouldn't surprise me (except for the latter obviously, as we know any anti-Putin comments are hypocritical comments from those deluded by the Western MSM)
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Tim_B said:

9 FIFA officials and 5 corporate executives indicted in federal court in Brooklyn on racketeering conspiracy and corruption charges. Defendants include 2 current FIFA vice presidents, and current and former presidents of CONCACAF. They are accused of accepting bribes and kick-backs between the early 1990s and now.

Even ESPN is covering the DOJ press conference at 10.30 ET

Shocked I am....it's just not cricket I tell you!
  • Options
    What is fascinating is what will happen when the the Swiss arrested folks arrive here. The pressure will be on the higher up indictees to cop a plea and sacrifice Blatter to the Feds.
  • Options

Hypocrisy is a word that some would use - but the millions of supposedly committed Christians vote for AH in 1932.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

I could not agree more.
  • Options
    It would be a moment of great joy to see the corrupt, arrogant, bloated carcass of Fifa and its officials who are an embodiment of that carcass, to be torn into and its secrets exposed.

Despite assurances this is not over, I fear I may be disappointed and this is about as good as it gets.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,630
    justin124 said:

Hypocrisy is a word that some would use - but the millions of supposedly committed Christians vote for AH in 1932.

Godwin again!
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

justin124 said:

Tough. I am so, so bored of being snivelled at by self-righteous little numpties like you. The people have spoken, and they have spoken in favour of a small state, sound money, the end of welfare dependence, and recreational foxhunting. Get used to it, and save your whingeing for next year's Evisceration of the NHS (So Its Own Mother Wouldn't Recognise It) Bill.
    QED
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    David Mundell was asked in a Yes/No fashion if he knew anything about Memogate.

His answer was neither Yes or No.

He was then re-asked the question.

He then repeated his waffle (which was that the leak inquiry purely fingered Carmichael and Carmichael's SPAD and no one else).

He never denied that he knew. So either he knew and he didn't want to lie or he didn't know and the politician's reflex kicked in which makes them patohlogically unable to answer Yes/No questions with Yes/No.
This discussion has been closed.