Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the EU referendum bill is published the proportion of U

13»

Comments

• Options
    RandomRandom Posts: 107
    Charles said:

In 20 years time I suspect the opportunity to leave by democratic means will no longer be there - these opportunities only come around infrequently, so you need to seize them when you can.

Perhaps, if you genuinely believe that the best way of getting a referendum is voting for a Conservative government led by David Cameron. If you do not - if you believe that Cameron is carefully phasing his promises now so that he can renege on the spirit of them while honouring the letter (like he did over Lisbon) - then voting Conservative would be a major mistake. All it will do is encourage the likes of Cameron to believe that "I support a referendum in principle, but now is not the right time/this is not the right issue" is a viable strategy. If you want an actual referendum, then (assuming a UKIP majority is impractical) then Cameron needs to be beaten, and more so he needs to be beaten in such a way that the Conservative party understands they will never win again until they give us a leader who gets it. Yes, this means that we won't get a referendum before the 2020 election, sadly. But if we enable Cameron and his "yes, but" style we will never get one because we will alternate between prime ministers who are opposed in principle to a referendum and prime minister who believe that the right time for a referendum is always some years in the future.

Now it's possible I'm completely wrong on this and misjudging Cameron's character, but I would venture to suggest that his track record so far is a better fit for my position than it is for yours.
This discussion has been closed.