Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB lead up a notch with Populus and not much change in Lon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB lead up a notch with Populus and not much change in London

ENGLAND & WALES ONLY figures from today's Populus poll
CON 33.79%
LAB 34.94%
LD 8.72%
UKIP 13.83%
CON to LAB swing since 2010 of 5.6%

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If UKIP are on 10% in London it seems very unlikely they're on just 13% overall as some pollsters are showing.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Tories with a big London lead among 18 to 24 year olds! Hmmm.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    AndyJS said:

If UKIP are on 10% in London it seems very unlikely they're on just 13% overall as some pollsters are showing.

It's just as likely the 10% is wrong as the other pollsters. At least the dissection of who went wrong and why will fill the psephological void after May 7th.
  • Options
    what news of betfair....
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    This is news:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labours-12point-lead-as-battle-for-london-hots-up-10201129.html

"Party leaders in London are preparing for a second general election — because this one looks like ending in a shambles.

That, I am told, is why a stream of VIP Tories have trooped to Twickenham, including Boris Johnson, George Osborne, and Patrick McLoughlin.

The Conservatives won’t defeat crafty old Vince Cable on May 7 — but they are betting on two things: One, that he will dance into retirement if he does not get the Lib-Dem leadership.

Second, that any minority government will fall apart in a year."
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Probably Imperial students...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Well they are definitely not below 13% that phone pollsters show.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    I don't think SPUD should delve into regional polling... But the movements here reflect the nationwide trends
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Oh, I'm amazed. Dave Can't Win Here.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Interesting that the London poll shows the Labour lead slightly larger among ABC1 voters - same pattern as in Broxtowe (according to Ashcroft) but different to elsewhere.

We're now wrapping up our postal vote GOTV operation - about 80% of those reached have now voted. AS skipped a hustings event (Notts TV) for the third time running today, citing "constituency business".
  • Options
    IIRC @Sunil_Prasannan is an Imperial alumni

• Options
    3plumloot3plumloot Posts: 19

Does look a bit dubious.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Interesting that the London poll shows the Labour lead slightly larger among ABC1 voters - same pattern as in Broxtowe (according to Ashcroft) but different to elsewhere.

We're now wrapping up our postal vote GOTV operation - about 80% of those reached have now voted. AS skipped a hustings event (Notts TV) for the third time running today, citing "constituency business".

Sounds like she's given up to me. You should probably go off and help in Ashfield.
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    FTP makes a second election difficult. Clegg has effectively said it is impossible and a minority govt would have no choice, but to work with the House. Or, a government of national unity may be required - if the House refuses to dissolve.

But Clegg has a bizarre interpretation of our uncoded constitution. He has said the second largest party cannot form a government because it wouldn't legitimate (even though the Crown is perfectly entitled to call for the leader of the second largest party, if the first cannot command a majority)

Yet, Tories and Labour are preparing for a second election in October.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ed changed his speech from the briefing last night.

Coward
  • Options
    @hugorifkind: Miliband has some balls re: Libya. He could have been against it. He wasn't. He could have mentioned it in the last three years. He didn't.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    FPT: Miss Plato, hopefully I Can't Believe It's Not Top Gear will get picked up by a free-to-air channel.

Be interesting to see what the BBC does with Top Gear.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    Plato said:

IIRC @Sunil_Prasannan is an Imperial alumni

Yes I went to Imperial - but I haven't been a student (PhD) since 2002 :)
  • Options
    OT Who here confessed to liking Crazy Horses by The Osmonds? I want to hide behind the sofa with embarrassment at such tunes and riffs.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Sounds like she's given up to me. You should probably go off and help in Ashfield.
    Even better, Nick should take a well-deserved rest so that he's on top form for all those late-night parliamentary sittings where the SNP suddenly mount an ambush.
  • Options
    Mr. P, could equally argue that it was sensible to avoid the car-crash by changing course.

On the other hand, if he looks like a man vindictive by nature but too weak to back up his malice, that's the worst of both worlds. Depends how the media play it and the people see it.
  • Options
    Populus wipes out the Tory lead in the Non-YouGov part-ELBOW, now 0.1% Lab lead.
  • Options
    Great title option! I hope so too.

FPT: Miss Plato, hopefully I Can't Believe It's Not Top Gear will get picked up by a free-to-air channel.

Be interesting to see what the BBC does with Top Gear.

• Options
    Plato said:

Oh, I'm amazed. Dave Can't Win Here.

"ONLY LABOUR CAN BEAT THE TORIES ON MAY 7TH!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Daniel said:

But Clegg has a bizarre interpretation of our uncoded constitution. He has said the second largest party cannot form a government because it wouldn't legitimate (even though the Crown is perfectly entitled to call for the leader of the second largest party, if the first cannot command a majority)

If he said that exactly, I imagine he's trying to encourage a new constitutional convention to that effect, or rather adjust the current one. There's all sorts of things there were or are no rules against, but which are now not accepted as proper practice. One that is allowed but I doubt would be accepted is if Dave of Ed lost their own seats they could still be PM (and could try and get back into the Commons via a by-election if they wanted) in principle. But I think Clegg is wrong if he thinks it would be unworkable for a party not the largest to form the government. They do it in other countries, which is the sort of argument he normally accepts.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

She must have put on that canvassing just for show with Quentin Letts..
  • Options
    I do love music trivia - Gerry Rafferty of Stealers Wheels/Baker St encouraged fellow banjo playing colleague to become a comedian = Billy Connolly.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015

The same Anna Soubry who was knocking on doors with Quentin Letts earlier in the week?

It doesn't sound as if the 'fiery old bird' has given up just yet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051451/Boris-cried-Dave-s-woad-recovery-QUENTIN-LETTS-sees-Johnson-join-Cameron-campaign.html
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Ten Days to Save the Pound....any masochists out there you can hear the tortured voice of William Hague on Radio 4
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Daniel said:

Have you got the exact quote?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Just added YouGov chart
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Plato said:

OT Who here confessed to liking Crazy Horses by The Osmonds? I want to hide behind the sofa with embarrassment at such tunes and riffs.

Erm, not me.

Though Son of my Father by Chicory Tip was equally appalling it has given rise to thousands of good terrace chants over the years!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Daniel said:

FTP makes a second election difficult. Clegg has effectively said it is impossible and a minority govt would have no choice, but to work with the House. Or, a government of national unity may be required - if the House refuses to dissolve.

Yet, Tories and Labour are preparing for a second election in October.

Maybe Clegg is too young to remember when the 2nd. largest party on seats legitimately tried to form a govt. Heath wouldn't move far enough towards Thorpe on PR. Wilson then stepped in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_February_1974
  • Options
    Interesting from Nick Tyrone on the future boundaries. I was not aware that the new boundaries automatically come into effect as per:

However, this only amounted to a temporary delay: the new boundaries, equalising the constituency sizes and reducing the number of MPs to 600, a move that takes a lot of the current bias towards Labour out of the system, will automatically come into effect in 2018 unless some new piece of legislation gets passed to come up with either an alternate boundary review or stick with the current set of boundaries for yet another election in 2020.

http://nicktyrone.com/did-labour-just-forget-about-this-glaring-problem-for-them-when-they-wrote-their-manifesto/
  • Options
    *Feet-eating* wasn't the most complimentary description of an MP - and Mr Lett's didn't say it.

I think he said *drone*. However nice Mr Palmer is - that's lobby fodder as a reputation in my book.

The same Anna Soubry who was knocking on doors with Quentin Letts earlier in the week? Doesn't sound as if she's 'given up' just yet.
  • Options

The same Anna Soubry who was knocking on doors with Quentin Letts earlier in the week?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051451/Boris-cried-Dave-s-woad-recovery-QUENTIN-LETTS-sees-Johnson-join-Cameron-campaign.html
    Am sure Nick will retread any streets with Soubry waverers on them..
  • Options
    Plato said:

I do love music trivia - Gerry Rafferty of Stealers Wheels/Baker St encouraged fellow banjo playing colleague to become a comedian = Billy Connolly.

Who played piano on He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother, or who played mouth organ on My Boy Lollipop?
  • Options
    I'm compelled to check YouTube for that now!

Plato said:

Erm, not me.

Though Son of my Father by Chicory Tip was equally appalling it has given rise to thousands of good terrace chants over the years!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kle4 said:

Daniel said:

If he said that exactly, I imagine he's trying to encourage a new constitutional convention to that effect, or rather adjust the current one. There's all sorts of things there were or are no rules against, but which are now not accepted as proper practice. One that is allowed but I doubt would be accepted is if Dave of Ed lost their own seats they could still be PM (and could try and get back into the Commons via a by-election if they wanted) in principle. But I think Clegg is wrong if he thinks it would be unworkable for a party not the largest to form the government. They do it in other countries, which is the sort of argument he normally accepts.
    He's talking bullshit. Putting together any coalition which represents over half of the House is clearly a democratic coalition. If he's not careful he'll end up arguing that the SNP should be preferred as coalition partner over the LibDems as they're 'larger' in terms of MPs returned!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Indeed, those streets are paved with gold (well, a fat pension, and a rich seam of expenses to be mined).
  • Options
    You've got me! No idea. Elton John played with T Rex on TOTPs as just a keyboard bloke!

Plato said:

Who played piano on He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother, or who played mouth organ on My Boy Lollipop?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Indeed, those streets are paved with gold (well, a fat pension, and a rich seam of expenses to be mined).
    Look the voters made a mistake last time - silly dears. They will get it right this time I'm sure.

• Options
    I thought the XMP allowances were already mined to the full?

TGOHF said:

• Options
    Plato said:

You've got me! No idea. Elton John played with T Rex on TOTPs as just a keyboard bloke!

Plato said:

1. Elton John

2. Stevie Wonder
  • Options
    Correction, he said the first party need "time and space" to try and form a government (i.e Miliband cannot call on Cameron to resign)

“Just for the sake of argument, if a larger party, with more votes and more seats, can’t or choses not to create a stable government, then we need a government in this country. At the end of the day, one way or another, a government needs to be formed. All I’m saying is that that first step is an essential one because anything that follows it won’t be seen as legitimate unless that first step is properly pursued.”

• Options
    I :heart: Stevie Wonder - I like earlier Elton and hate his later stuff - it's so pulp.

BBC4 does a great line in ancient pop videos

Plato said:

Plato said:

1. Elton John

2. Stevie Wonder
  • Options
    Another good poll for Labour. My sense is that if the campaign made a difference it's encouraged Labour voters to vote. Dave has found an uncanny ability to find issues that irritate the left.
  • Options

Plato said:

Plato said:

1. Elton John

2. Stevie Wonder
    Stevie did the harmonica on There Must Be An Angel (Eurythmics)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Interesting from Nick Tyrone on the future boundaries. I was not aware that the new boundaries automatically come into effect as per:

However, this only amounted to a temporary delay: the new boundaries, equalising the constituency sizes and reducing the number of MPs to 600, a move that takes a lot of the current bias towards Labour out of the system, will automatically come into effect in 2018 unless some new piece of legislation gets passed to come up with either an alternate boundary review or stick with the current set of boundaries for yet another election in 2020.

http://nicktyrone.com/did-labour-just-forget-about-this-glaring-problem-for-them-when-they-wrote-their-manifesto/

Won't the SNP want to keep all their new fiefdoms though ?

Mind you electoral register increase in Scotland could be good for them...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Another good poll for Labour. My sense is that if the campaign made a difference it's encouraged Labour voters to vote. Dave has found an uncanny ability to find issues that irritate the left.

Bingo.

Nobody can get an outright majority, so the campaign has more or less moved on to maximising the core vote.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited April 2015

The other factor here is that since the new system ties the number of seats closely to number of registered voters, and the Scottish independence referendum produced loads of registered voters, the next review should produce loads more SNP MPs. You'd think the Tories and LibDems would want to help prevent that.

It might also be worth doing this in an all-party way rather than a partisan put-it-in-the-manifesto-then-ram-the-bastard-thing-through way, since the parties seem to bollocks up their attempts to do it in a partisan way so badly anyhow. These proposals look pretty good for Labour, especially equalising by population not voter registration, which I think was in the manifesto, but a bit vaguely.
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmselect/cmpolcon/600/60009.htm
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Daniel said:

Correction, he said the first party need "time and space" to try and form a government (i.e Miliband cannot call on Cameron to resign)

“Just for the sake of argument, if a larger party, with more votes and more seats, can’t or choses not to create a stable government, then we need a government in this country. At the end of the day, one way or another, a government needs to be formed. All I’m saying is that that first step is an essential one because anything that follows it won’t be seen as legitimate unless that first step is properly pursued.”

Are those the words of Clegg ?
  • Options
    Plato said:

I :heart: Stevie Wonder - I like earlier Elton and hate his later stuff - it's so pulp.

Plato said:

Plato said:

1. Elton John

2. Stevie Wonder
    I'm the same with both, used to love Elton's early stuff.

Same thing with Rod Stewart, his work with the Faces and his first four albums are all brilliant, check out Mandolin Wind or Gasoline Alley, both great songs.

Ronnie Lane of the Faces was another, he wrote and sang Debris about his Dad, probably the best father/son song ever, save maybe Springsteen's Independence Day.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Scott_P said:

@hugorifkind: Miliband has some balls re: Libya. He could have been against it. He wasn't. He could have mentioned it in the last three years. He didn't.

Awww. Boo hoo.
  • Options
    *makes mental note*

Plato said:

Plato said:

1. Elton John

2. Stevie Wonder
    Stevie did the harmonica on There Must Be An Angel (Eurythmics)
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    More depressing polling.

We're 14 days away from Miliband becoming PM, and the inevitability of it makes it no less terrifying a prospect.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Will try Ronnie Lane, don't know his stuff. I've been ODing on TV and Sherlock radio plays - time to tune back into my record collections...

EDIT - I never knew Errol Browne got an OBE!

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

1. Elton John

2. Stevie Wonder
    I'm the same with both, used to love Elton's early stuff.

Same thing with Rod Stewart, his work with the Faces and his first four albums are all brilliant, check out Mandolin Wind or Gasoline Alley, both great songs.

Ronnie Lane of the Faces was another, he wrote and sang Debris about his Dad, probably the best father/son song ever, save maybe Springsteen's Independence Day.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Grrrrr (ex Chair Imperial Labour Club)
  • Options
    Mr. Sykes, it's a credible possibility, but not inevitable.
  • Options
    Good piece on the migrants pre Mili speech

http://www.capx.co/why-europe-needs-to-look-to-australia-to-solve-the-migrant-crisis/

"Tweeting your outrage is a much easier way of doing this than, say, working in a refugee camp. The writer James Bartholomew has recently come up with an apt label for the phenomenon: “virtue signalling”. That phrase neatly encapsulates our generation’s elevation of the moralistic (holding the correct opinions) over the moral (doing the right thing). I hope it becomes a Twitter staple, a standard riposte to those who think they prove their compassion by hating the right people."
  • Options
    I have found an election analyst worse than Dan Hodges or that other Tory guy with his scottish Tory landslide, behold and amuse yourselves:

http://www.goldcore.com/us/gold-blog/election-chaos-in-uk-could-trigger-lehman-moment-for-pound/

"A YouGov poll suggests both parties will have less than 290 seats and so concessions will have to be made with smaller parties to entice them into a coalition.

The same poll sees the Lib Dems gaining 53 seats which places them in the strongest position. Nick Clegg has indicated that he would enter into coalition with either major party and act as a buffer to protect against the excesses of either side.

In terms of seats the Scottish National Party are polling at 6 but at this point neither the Tories nor Labour appear willing to enter coalition with them with Cameron suggesting that the SNP would blackmail Labour if it formed a minority government with the SNP."
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

Are you being paid to write this rubbish?
  • Options
    What was your subject?
    Jonathan said:

Grrrrr (ex Chair Imperial Labour Club)
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    With Populus, before allocation of don't knows, Labour are on 26% and the Conservatives 24%.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

More depressing polling.

We're 14 days away from Miliband becoming PM, and the inevitability of it makes it no less terrifying a prospect.

It's not terrifying - that's the Tories' biggest problem in the campaign thus far, as the assumed most people would find it terrifying. At best it seems many people find the prospect a little disquieting, but not enough to change their voting intention.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Roger said:

I agree with an earlier poster who said that they thought the campaigns had both scored some wins, but that these had cancelled out in the headline numbers.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @nigel4england
    "...probably the best father/son song ever, save maybe Springsteen's Independence Day."

I always thought "Independence Day" was about a divorce/breakup ?
  • Options
    @itvnews: Ed Miliband dismisses allegation he tried to politicise migrant tragedy http://t.co/lu1rqjpv0I http://t.co/WLi7jmdZnY
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

Plato said:

Erm, not me.

They came from Maidstone and at least until a few years ago popped up in the to
    wn from time to time trading on their one hit wonder status.

Incidentally here in Maidstone & The Weald the Lib Dem candidate Jasper Gerrard is putting up a good showing with the LDs putting a lot of resources into the seat. According to a poll he is just a few
    a few points behind. It is though essentially a Tory constituency with some of the outlying villages some of the bluest in the country and the fear that the LDs may change sides after the election might just see the Tories and the much criticised Helen Grant home.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    AndyJS said:

Two polls have them on 17 and 18%. When you factor in 'shy kipper' syndrome then I confidently expect that 50.01% will vote for them in May. (TIC)
  • Options
    Surely Phil Collins got the best one for that subject?
    Smarmeron said:

@nigel4england
    "...probably the best father/son song ever, save maybe Springsteen's Independence Day."

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    DanSmith said:

With Populus, before allocation of don't knows, Labour are on 26% and the Conservatives 24%.

This allocation of Don't Knows could be where the polling ends up seriously adrift....
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@nigel4england

It's about his relationship with his father, which was fraught at the best of times.

Now you mention it the song he wrote when he was breaking up with his first wife, One Step Up, is probably one of the best he has ever written.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @nigel4england
    Just checked, you are right, just goes to show you that I need to listen more carefully.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

I think the point made is that the new boundaries that would be brought in automatically in 2018 are the old boundaries that Clegg kicked in to touch after Lords Reform was abandoned - so it wouldn't take the electoral register increase in Scotland into effect.

I suspect that if Labour form the government they will quite quickly pass legislation giving the boundary commission a fresh mandate for a review of boundaries on terms that Labour believe are fair, thus finally burying the 600-seat boundaries, but whether that new set of boundaries will survive to see an election is less certain.

We are going to see some very unedifying wrangling over boundaries in the years ahead, which is something of a missed opportunity when they could be debating PR variants instead.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Anecdote alert! I spoke to someone yesterday who was under the misguided opinion that UKIP would have lots of mps in the next parliament because they are on about 15% in the polls and I had to explain. It will probably be 5 maximum probably 2 or 3. This is someone who is degree educated who does not have a clue how FPTP works. Is this common?
  • Options

Anecdote alert! I spoke to someone yesterday who was under the misguided opinion that UKIP would have lots of mps in the next parliament because they are on about 15% in the polls and I had to explain. It will probably be 5 maximum probably 2 or 3. This is someone who is degree educated who does not have a clue how FPTP works. Is this common?

Indeed it is. Which is why Labour have been trying to push "Tory-UKIP coalition" as an antidote to "Labour-SNP".
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Pulpstar said:

We are going to see some very unedifying wrangling over boundaries in the years ahead, which is something of a missed opportunity when they could be debating PR variants instead.
    Single Transferrable Alternative Supplementary Vote Squared is the obvious choice, surely. Easiest to understand at any rate.
  • Options
    IF the Nats get 45 seats and the Lib Dems stick to their guns and don't join the Tories (which anyway would be the end of their party) then I can't see a way that the Nats don't get to choose the government. The Tories would need over 305 and even Jacks ARSE isn't predicting that.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

DanSmith said:

This allocation of Don't Knows could be where the polling ends up seriously adrift....
    Yes this is my feeling as well.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Pulpstar said:

Daniel said:

Allegedly. They are in this report (about half way down):

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/19/election-2015-live-sturgeon-will-not-rule-out-second-independence-referendum#block-5533b5d3e4b045f87ec9706b
  • Options
    Roger said:

IF the Nats get 45 seats and the Lib Dems stick to their guns and don't join the Tories (which anyway would be the end of their party) then I can't see a way that the Nats don't get to choose the government. The Tories would need over 305 and even Jacks ARSE isn't predicting that.

Con + Kipper + DUP : a rainbow progressive alliance.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Single Transferrable Alternative Summplementary Vote Squared is the obvious choice, surely. Easiest to understand at any rate.
    Wasn't there a Scottish debate recently shown "on" STV? :)
  • Options

Last year the BJP won an overall majority in India (ie. no need to include their electoral allies) on only 31% of the vote...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    TGOHF said:

Roger said:

Con + Kipper + DUP : a rainbow progressive alliance.
    But in this scenario Con=UKIP - only UKIP gains from Labour would count (not impossible.)
  • Options
    @JournoStephen: Nicola Sturgeon says she, not the SNP, will decide on a second indyref. @C_KAndrews has the scoop http://t.co/mTdo9jQuFL
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Daniel said:

Yes
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

AndyJS said:

Two polls have them on 17 and 18%. When you factor in 'shy kipper' syndrome then I confidently expect that 50.01% will vote for them in May. (TIC)
    I've never come across a shy kipper.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

Pulpstar said:

I think the point made is that the new boundaries that would be brought in automatically in 2018 are the old boundaries that Clegg kicked in to touch after Lords Reform was abandoned - so it wouldn't take the electoral register increase in Scotland into effect.

I suspect that if Labour form the government they will quite quickly pass legislation giving the boundary commission a fresh mandate for a review of boundaries on terms that Labour believe are fair, thus finally burying the 600-seat boundaries, but whether that new set of boundaries will survive to see an election is less certain.

My understanding is that the Boundary Commission is (automatically) charged to start again to create 600 seats dependant on registration, and to report to the HoC in 2018 for approval. What Clegg kicked into touch was the Boundary Commission's 2013 report - but the rules instructing them on a 5 yearly basis to create new boundaries are still in place. (As I understand it)
  • Options

weejonnie said:

AndyJS said:

I've never come across a shy kipper.
    Well, duh. They are shy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Single Transferrable Alternative Summplementary Vote Squared is the obvious choice, surely. Easiest to understand at any rate.
    Wasn't there a Scottish debate recently shown "on" STV? :)
    Just think, we can tall about Indyref, Brexit, AND AV for years now.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: Nicola Sturgeon says she, not the SNP, will decide on a second indyref. @C_KAndrews has the scoop http://t.co/mTdo9jQuFL

Nah, that's Ecks job.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The best father and son song was written by a man who has just been given a lifetime achievement award for folk music by the BBC. I'm sure we can all applaud this overdue recognition of a supremely talented artist.
  • Options

Last year the BJP won an overall majority in India (ie. no need to include their electoral allies) on only 31% of the vote...
    The quote to me was that if the SNP are going to have 50 mps going with Labour then the 50 UKIP mps will go with the Tories. I advised that good odds would be available for 50 or more Ukip mps.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

And so the poll is, therefore, in some senses, both subjective and arbitrary.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Speedy said:

I have found an election analyst worse than Dan Hodges or that other Tory guy with his scottish Tory landslide, behold and amuse yourselves:

http://www.goldcore.com/us/gold-blog/election-chaos-in-uk-could-trigger-lehman-moment-for-pound/

"A YouGov poll suggests both parties will have less than 290 seats and so concessions will have to be made with smaller parties to entice them into a coalition.

The same poll sees the Lib Dems gaining 53 seats which places them in the strongest position. Nick Clegg has indicated that he would enter into coalition with either major party and act as a buffer to protect against the excesses of either side.

In terms of seats the Scottish National Party are polling at 6 but at this point neither the Tories nor Labour appear willing to enter coalition with them with Cameron suggesting that the SNP would blackmail Labour if it formed a minority government with the SNP."

Do you think he glanced at a prediction, noticed that the third highest number of seats was 53 and that the party colour was yellow....
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    TGOHF

"Con + Kipper + DUP : a rainbow progressive alliance".

What about 'The St Georges Revolutionary Front'
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    antifrank said:

The best father and son song was written by a man who has just been given a lifetime achievement award for folk music by the BBC. I'm sure we can all applaud this overdue recognition of a supremely talented artist.

Martin Carthy?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

TGOHF

"Con + Kipper + DUP : a rainbow progressive alliance".

What about 'The St Georges Revolutionary Front'

DUP? Not exactly likely to have [edit] that patron saint - in more senses than one.
This discussion has been closed.