Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember when the Tories recovered from a poll share of 23p

13»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. Kelly, interesting graph but I'd dispute that Starkey's a bad thing for Question Time. Yes, he's a bit provocative, but he's also highly intelligent and brings his historical knowledge to the table.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    isam said:

Mr. Jessop, surely 8/7/7?

I don't get the American way of doing dates. China does them entirely the other way (year/month/day), which makes sense, but why would you go month/day/year? You might as well go day/year/month.

Saying "June the 14th 2013" or "the 14th of June 2013" out loud, both seem right to me
    I guess it's natural to start wide and zoom in, so normally you say June the 14th. But then occasionally you find you have to clarify the year, so you tack it on the end.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    They have form when they rushed through legislation to retroactively change aspects of the work programme that were ruled illegal so that they did not have to pay people who were wrongly sanctioned by the DWP.

Surely even the coalition isn't this stupid?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/jun/13/raise-interest-rate-student-loans-secret-report

Changing the terms of loans retroactively will not go down well.

• Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Yes, he's a bit provocative, but he's also highly intelligent and brings his historical knowledge to the table."

There are lots of highly intelligent people (including historians) who have never appeared on QT. Shouldn't they get the occasional look in?
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621

Wasn't there a move to deliberately change the way 'American' worked compared to English? Even during the 20th century they changed various spellings away from English.

One of the eraly Bill Bryson books claims that US English is currently closer to 18th Century English than today's British is.
    Probably the book "Made in America". Having said that, he was resident in Yorkshire at the time, where they speak their own dialect of English.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. Kelly, there are 4-5 panellists on each edition and the programme goes out weekly. I don't know what timescale the graph is for but I don't think someone appearing more than once a year is necessarily horrid.

I am in agreement with you regarding the general low calibre of QT guests and the fact that some seem to be on far too often.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Wasn't there a move to deliberately change the way 'American' worked compared to English? Even during the 20th century they changed various spellings away from English.

That would be the so-called Webster spellings: color, neighbor, theater etc. I use them but find no particular advantage in doing so, more 'when in Rome'.

Regarding the dates, having correspondents in both the UK and US, (Canada tends to accept both, much as they celebrate both US and UK Mothers Day), I tend to write June 7th 2013 rather than either 6/7/13 or 7/6/13. It removes any ambiguity.

From my days over 4 decades ago as a computer programmer I still put lines through 7, Z and 0 when writing, dates or otherwise.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Just catching up with this morning's YouGov - UKIP at 12%. So in the last few days we have:

- UKIP at 12% with YouGov two days running
    - UKIP at 12% with ICM
    - UKIP at 12% with MORI

Really now looking as if UKIP is starting to settle back a bit.

Is there actually a chance that UKIP may do a bit worse than expected in Euros? Could it be UKIP novelty factor will start to wear off - people "tried them", got a bit bored, and went back to the traditional parties?

ie Has UKIP peaked too early?
  • Options
    Interesting that Farage is far ahead with social renters.
    Plato said:

This is rather good - four party leaders by tenure group

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMt220aCYAA5UBP.jpg:large

• Options
    He provides entertainment value because of his testiness and getting into spats with other panel members.

Mr. Kelly, interesting graph but I'd dispute that Starkey's a bad thing for Question Time. Yes, he's a bit provocative, but he's also highly intelligent and brings his historical knowledge to the table.

This discussion has been closed.