Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP drops to 11% as the Tories re-take the lead with Opini

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP drops to 11% as the Tories re-take the lead with Opinium

CON take lead with Opinium
Con 36% (+3), Lab 34% (+1), Lib Dems 7% (n/c), UKIP 11% (-3), Greens 6% (-1)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited April 2015
    Sleazy broken Kippers on the slide (usual caveats apply)

But if Dave is to remain in power, he definitely needs to see UKIP down.
  • Options
    The most important finding from Opinium was this

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/586938953632198656
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Lazy thinking.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The usual ABC1: C2DE ratio in a sample is c. 55:45

Survation used 40:60.

Lots more poor people in the sample = better than usual result for Ed/Labour.

• Options

Lazy thinking.
    This morning's YouGov had 13% of 2010 Tories voting for UKIP, Dave gets half of those to come home, that's 2% onto the Tory share.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The wording of the Survation approval question is awful. It gets the respondent to focus on the last month. You might think that, for example, Ed Miliband had done quite well in the last month but still have the view that he's just not up to the job.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GdnPolitics: Labour pledges huge fines on tax avoiders to raise £7.5bn a year http://t.co/yghCCF0R9C
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,946
    antifrank said:

The wording of the Survation approval question is awful. It gets the respondent to focus on the last month. You might think that, for example, Ed Miliband had done quite well in the last month but still have the view that he's just not up to the job.

How hard is being Prime Minister though ?

Home Secretary is the toughest gig in Gov't.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Even inconsistently being behind Ed (or close to Ed) on approval ratings is bad for Cameron, but a return to more regular figures will be of some comfort I am sure.

Sooner or later the blind faith in the 'People will not want to see Ed M as PM and will change their minds' will butt up against the blind faith in the '35% strategy', so it'll be interesting to see which ends up winning.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics: Labour pledges huge fines on tax avoiders to raise £7.5bn a year http://t.co/yghCCF0R9C

Sounds great and should be a very popular promise.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited April 2015
    Ed Miliband and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit on BBC3 right now!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Lazy thinking.
    This morning's YouGov had 13% of 2010 Tories voting for UKIP, Dave gets half of those to come home, that's 2% onto the Tory share.

Lazy thinking.
    there are probably 2-3 times that number of 2010 voters who are just going to sit on their hands and not vote
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

I think this is now Sleazy Broken UKIP are Dead as SLAB.
  • Options
    Labour sources said most of the £7.5bn would go towards paying down the deficit and described the target as ambitious but achievable.

"Ambitious but achievable"? That's the same as an 'aspirational' target, right? That it has no chance?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Opinium reduces Lab lead in part-ELBOW for the week so far to 1.2% (cf. 2.5% when Survation/Panelbase came out).
    But still, 1.2% would be the 4th highest Lab lead in ELBOW this year.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

'I see Andy Murray has got married in Dunblane Cathedral.Apparently in Scotland it is being treated as the wedding of the year. Find it strange that a couple that have been ‘living in sin’ for over six years end up having a white church wedding. It seems rather hypocritical and it surprises me that the clergy agree to carry out such services the effect of which is to bring the church into disrepute.'

Pulupstar
    'Christ that's out the fifties playbook ! '

It's actually nothing of the kind. Churches would not have behaved like this in the 70s and 80s.
  • Options

Bill and Ted on ITV2

Apparently Nigel Farage is the same age as Keanu Reeves
  • Options
    Labour have a real problem now with NHS funding. The conservatives argue that by paying down the debt by 2017-2018 interest payments will be much reduced and growth will be established thereby producing the economic bonus to enable funds to be put into public services and the 8 billion needed by the NHS. Labour do not understand or do not want to understand that if you borrow, spend and tax you delay or even risk the benefit of prudence. Ed Miliband confirmed today that they will not be investing more than the 2.5 billion they have already agreed thereby creating a shortfall of 5.5 billion that NHS England have stated they need. This could be a pivotal moment when labour lose the NHS argument by refusing to provide the funds needed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Labour sources said most of the £7.5bn would go towards paying down the deficit and described the target as ambitious but achievable.

"Ambitious but achievable"? That's the same as an 'aspirational' target, right? That it has no chance?

It's total nonsense, as ever.

"We will raise money through fines, with no behavioural changes at all by anyone..."
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It's questionable whether such an approach would be consistent with Britain's duties under the European Convention on Human Rights.
  • Options

Labour have a real problem now with NHS funding. The conservatives argue that by paying down the debt by 2017-2018 interest payments will be much reduced and growth will be established thereby producing the economic bonus to enable funds to be put into public services and the 8 billion needed by the NHS. Labour do not understand or do not want to understand that if you borrow, spend and tax you delay or even risk the benefit of prudence. Ed Miliband confirmed today that they will not be investing more than the 2.5 billion they have already agreed thereby creating a shortfall of 5.5 billion that NHS England have stated they need. This could be a pivotal moment when labour lose the NHS argument by refusing to provide the funds needed.

Speculation Labour will abandon that position on Monday when the manifesto is released
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    I have been thinking that Ed's performance has improved markedly over the last few weeks.

Yesterday night I went to some friends for dinner and as I left I asked who they thought would win the election? They answered that Labour had a huge problem.

"What" I asked?

"Their leader is rubbish".
  • Options
    antifrank said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It's questionable whether such an approach would be consistent with Britain's duties under the European Convention on Human Rights.
    I don't doubt such arguments will be raised, and that it may well be total nonsense as Scott_P says. Nevertheless, it sounds great, and will an explanation of the details of why it may not be sink in?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I don't doubt such arguments will be raised, and that it may well be total nonsense as Scott_P says. Nevertheless, it sounds great, and will an explanation of the details of why it may not be sink in?
    It's a good nonsense populist policy. Labour have lots of those already. Their weakness is that they lack credibility to deliver them.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:

Huge fines for tax AVOIDANCE? How is that going to work? More like huge legal bills for the government. If they really want to tackle avoidance then slim down the tax code and dump a whole load of abused allowances.
  • Options
    Part 1 of the equation, requiring the Tories to take 2% off UKIP may be taking place, but Part 2 , involving the LibDems taking 2% off Labour also has to happen before Dave & Co. have any chance of winning the GE.
    Meanwhile, Chris Hanretty & Others' latest 2015 UK Parliamentary Election Forecast shows Labour on 277 seats, just 4 seats behind the Tories on 281. Interestingly, this projection also shows UKIP winning just one very lonely seat, in sharp contrast to some of the smartest bettors on PB.com who rate the Purples a buy on 5 seats.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I see Andy Murray has got married in Dunblane Cathedral.Apparently in Scotland it is being treated as the wedding of the year. Find it strange that a couple that have been ‘living in sin’ for over six years end up having a white church wedding. It seems rather hypocritical and it surprises me that the clergy agree to carry out such services the effect of which is to bring the church into disrepute.

They are being married in a Presbyterian church. As such it matters not one jot what the "clergy" thinks they are servants, not masters. Policy is set by elders (lay people). That's why the CoS has always been decades ahead of CoE on most social matters.

It always seem bizarre that people in England believe their established church is in some meaningful way a Protestant church.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Bill and Ted on ITV2

Apparently Nigel Farage is the same age as Keanu Reeves
    Woah!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Speculation Labour will abandon that position on Monday when the manifesto is released
    Just confirms that 'chaos' is an apt description for labour if they reject it categorically today then suddenly, in a panic, find the funding on monday
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2015

Labour have a real problem now with NHS funding. The conservatives argue that by paying down the debt by 2017-2018 interest payments will be much reduced and growth will be established thereby producing the economic bonus to enable funds to be put into public services and the 8 billion needed by the NHS.

The Conservatives no intention of 'paying down the debt'. They might reduce/eliminate the deficit, but the accumulated debt, and the associated servicing cost (£52 billion a year) will remain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11339921/David-Cameron-and-the-national-debt-monster-in-three-charts.html
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Roger said:

I have been thinking that Ed's performance has improved markedly over the last few weeks.

Yesterday night I went to some friends for dinner and as I left I asked who they thought would win the election? They answered that Labour had a huge problem.

"What" I asked?

I have yet to meet a single person who has a positive word to say about Ed. A minority of people I know are voting Labour and they have all said they think he is useless. A significant number of work colleagues have criticised him as well, some of whom are Labour leaning. All anecdotal but interesting nonetheless.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    justin124 said:

'I see Andy Murray has got married in Dunblane Cathedral.Apparently in Scotland it is being treated as the wedding of the year. Find it strange that a couple that have been ‘living in sin’ for over six years end up having a white church wedding. It seems rather hypocritical and it surprises me that the clergy agree to carry out such services the effect of which is to bring the church into disrepute.'

Pulupstar

It's actually nothing of the kind. Churches would not have behaved like this in the 70s and 80s.

CoS first ordained a female minister in 1969. It has always been far more progessive than the psuedo-Roman church down south.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    justin124 said:

Pulupstar

The Church of Scotland elsewhere in Scotland, I understand, refuses to marry people who have been living together for the past 30 days. However it will marry them if, although they been living together or a year or more, they separate for the 30 days prior to the wedding!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Scott_P said:

I notice again they are mixed avoidance with evasion. It is a bit hard to "clamp" down on avoidance when what somebody is doing is legal, unless you make big changes. The problem is what change, as we saw with even what they thought was an easy target non-doms, it gets very complicated very quickly and often complication = more loopholes, as Gordon Brown found as he massively expanded the tax code with no real gains in clamping down on behaviour (in fact he encouraged it).
  • Options

I notice again they are mixed avoidance with evasion. It is a bit hard to "clamp" down on avoidance when what somebody is doing is legal, unless you make big changes. The problem is what change, as we saw with even what they thought was an easy target non-doms, it gets very complicated very quickly and often complication = more loopholes, as Gordon Brown found as he massively expanded the tax code with no real gains in clamping down on behaviour (in fact he encouraged it).

Maybe Deeds of Variation will be at the top of the list...
  • Options
    Poor students.

An investigation has been launched at a £33,000-a-year school after students were taught the wrong exam text.

Students at Wellington College, in Berkshire, spent the last year studying a different classic book for their imminent AS-level exam.

The mistake only came to light when mock papers arrived and no exam questions related to the taught text.

http://dailym.ai/1HghsXi
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

CoS first ordinated a female minister in 1969. It has always been far more progessive than the psuedo-Roman church down south.
    Or the Roman Church in Scotland ;-)

Though was it the RCs or the Presbyterians who kept homosexuality illegal in Scotland until 1980?

It is worth noting that many English Protestant sects had women ministers in the 17th Century.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    MP_SE said:

Roger said:

"What" I asked?

I have yet to meet a single person who has a positive word to say about Ed. A minority of people I know are voting Labour and they have all said they think he is useless. A significant number of work colleagues have criticised him as well, some of whom are Labour leaning. All anecdotal but interesting nonetheless.
    What do they say about the Conservatives?
  • Options
    As a matter of interest could any of the Scots Nats on this forum advise whether they would back the conservatives move to increase NHS funding by 8 billion as no doubt that would result in a substantial increase for Scotland under the Barnett formula
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Maybe they went to confession first :confused:
    :j
    justin124 said:

Pulupstar

• Options

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

The Church of Scotland elsewhere in Scotland, I understand, refuses to marry people who have been living together for the past 30 days. However it will marry them if, although they been living together or a year or more, they separate for the 30 days prior to the wedding!
    A minister has the right to choose who they do and do not marry, however this should follow the guidelines set out by the general assembly, which as far as I know have absolutely no bar on cohabiting couples marrying.

Moreover, if the minister does refuse or accept they can be removed from their position by the leity of the parish. It may be that there are some communities where they tell their minister not to marry cohabiting couples but I would expect that to be very, very rare and in such hard c conservative communities most will already be Wee Free or similar offshoot.
  • Options

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

CoS first ordinated a female minister in 1969. It has always been far more progessive than the psuedo-Roman church down south.

Though was it the RCs or the Presbyterians who kept homosexuality illegal in Scotland until 1980?

It is worth noting that many English Protestant sects had women ministers in the 17th Century.
    The delayed gay rights were entirely due to the Labour Party which were (and to an extent still are) the political wing of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland.
  • Options
    glw said:

Scott_P said:

Huge fines for tax AVOIDANCE? How is that going to work? More like huge legal bills for the government. If they really want to tackle avoidance then slim down the tax code and dump a whole load of abused allowances.
    A good place to start would be MPs tax perks. Why can they claim food as a tax free expense? Is there going to be a clampdown on them employing family members? The sooner the same tax rules apply to MPs the better.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Part 1 of the equation, requiring the Tories to take 2% off UKIP may be taking place, but Part 2 , involving the LibDems taking 2% off Labour also has to happen before Dave & Co. have any chance of winning the GE.
    Meanwhile, Chris Hanretty & Others' latest 2015 UK Parliamentary Election Forecast shows Labour on 277 seats, just 4 seats behind the Tories on 281. Interestingly, this projection also shows UKIP winning just one very lonely seat, in sharp contrast to some of the smartest bettors on PB.com who rate the Purples a buy on 5 seats.

The notion that UKIP might only get 1 seat has got me worried. Back in March 2013 I got, via beards, £200 on at 8/1 with Hills that UKIP would get more than one seat. This has been my big banker - guaranteed winnings it seemed. Alas that might not be the case.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited April 2015
    Threatening to fine and tax the super rich and the non doms has the great advantage of not only being popular but its also one of the few policies that the Tories cannot trump. As for inventing the figure of £7.5 billion-why not? The Tories have been plucking numbers out of the air all week
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited April 2015
    S

Poor students.

An investigation has been launched at a £33,000-a-year school after students were taught the wrong exam text.

Students at Wellington College, in Berkshire, spent the last year studying a different classic book for their imminent AS-level exam.

The mistake only came to light when mock papers arrived and no exam questions related to the taught text.

http://dailym.ai/1HghsXi

Serves them right ! They should have paid £100,000 a year. Morons !

The teacher propbably just passed his A levels since qualification is not necessary in these schools.

Can the parents sue ? Because these type of parents can be very litigious.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Dunno if this has already been noted but there's a new YouGov poll that shows Lab 2% ahead
    http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5lrvokt1ad/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-100415.pdf
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

Threatening to fine and tax the super rich and the non doms till the pips squak has the great advantage of not only being popular but also one of the few policies that the Tories cannot trump. As for inventing the figure of £7.5 billion-why not? The Tories have been plucking numbers out of the air all week

£7.5 billion is £0.5 billion less than the Tories "money from growth" £ 8 billion . Have the forecast growth rates changed in the last week to allow for an additional £8 billion out of nowhere !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

The notion that UKIP might only get 1 seat has got me worried. Back in March 2013 I got, via beards, £200 on at 8/1 with Hills that UKIP would get more than one seat. This has been my big banker - guaranteed winnings it seemed. Alas that might not be the case.

If you want £500@4/5 Ukip get less than 4.5 seats to cover it I will lay that
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

The delayed gay rights were entirely due to the Labour Party which were (and to an extent still are) the political wing of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland.
    My Scots ancestors were Free Presbyterians, and I still have strong leanings that way. The great seperation of 1834 was in essence a class war. Who decides the minister and doctrine? The Laird or the congregation?

Historically the SNP was much stronger in the areas of Presbyterian Scotland, but recently that seems to have lessened.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Dunno if this has already been noted but there's a new YouGov poll that shows Lab 2% ahead
    http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5lrvokt1ad/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-100415.pdf

Friday nights poll
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454
    I'm not sure my poor old heart can take this.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    DeClare said:

That's yesterdays I believe
  • Options

I have a feeling that a shock defeat of Nigel Farage could be the story of election night.

I also got a text today from a close friend who (although a life-long sympathesiser) has only just joined the Conservatives in the past 12 months. He lives in Tonbridge and is getting a lot of encouragement (pressure?) from his local association to get actively involved and help in Rochester and Strood.

The Tories really are throwing absolutely everything at Reckless. He is hated.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Et tu the Sun !
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Good evening, everyone.

In case you missed it earlier, my cunning thoughts on China (including one tip) are up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/china-pre-race.html
  • Options

I have a feeling that a shock defeat of Nigel Farage could be the story of election night.

I also got a text today from a close friend who (although a life-long sympathesiser) has only just joined the Conservatives in the past 12 months. He lives in Tonbridge and is getting a lot of encouragement (pressure?) from his local association to get actively involved and help in Rochester and Strood.

"Shock" defeat ? How can something that is expected be termed "shocking" ?
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    DeClare said:

Sorry, just noticed the date, it's yesterday's one. Been thinking it was the 10th all day.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It

DeClare said:

It is on the top in Wikipedia above Opinium. Do we have Yougov on Friday's. Was this discussed here ?
  • Options

Good lord

It's as if things that actually happen don't count on here

So what?! They threw absolutely everything at him last time... He won at a canter

The Tory candidate is/was useless , she had to be replaced in a hustings this week by Damian green, while Reckless has been a solid Ukip mp , speaking authoritavely on national TV
  • Options

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that UKIP take *more* seats off Labour than the Tories.

Imagine a situation where UKIP retained Clacton, but Farage and Reckless lost, and Thurrock was a near miss.

Meanwhile, Dudley North, Rother Valley and Great Grimsby all fell.
  • Options
    isam said:

Good lord

So what?! They threw absolutely everything at him last time... He won at a canter

The Tory candidate is/was useless , she had to be replaced in a hustings this week by Damian green, while Reckless has been a solid Ukip mp , speaking authoritavely on national TV
    While it's correct to point out they threw everything at him last time and he still won, it is taking place in a new context now. That might not make the difference for the Tories, but it does mean in fairness that the idea cannot be dismissed quite so readily I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Dair said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

My Scots ancestors were Free Presbyterians, and I still have strong leanings that way. The great seperation of 1834 was in essence a class war. Who decides the minister and doctrine? The Laird or the congregation?

Historically the SNP was much stronger in the areas of Presbyterian Scotland, but recently that seems to have lessened.
    I sometimes wonder about the relationship between non-conformist churches and the Peoples Front for the Liberation of Judea (et al)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It

DeClare said:

It is on the top in Wikipedia above Opinium. Do we have Yougov on Friday's. Was this discussed here ?
    Having one every day I believe but that is last nights sun poll. Assume tonights will be the Sunday Times
  • Options
    Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

A minister has the right to choose who they do and do not marry, however this should follow the guidelines set out by the general assembly, which as far as I know have absolutely no bar on cohabiting couples marrying.

Moreover, if the minister does refuse or accept they can be removed from their position by the leity of the parish. It may be that there are some communities where they tell their minister not to marry cohabiting couples but I would expect that to be very, very rare and in such hard c conservative communities most will already be Wee Free or similar offshoot.
    I can assure you that there are some Ministers - I am talking about England & Wales here - who would not knowingly marry couples who had aleady had full sexual relations with each other. At the end of the day 'chastity before marriage' is what the Christian Churches are supposed to believe in! Of course many find it impossible to live by that principle but surely such people should not expect the Church to facilitate the hypocrisy of a white wedding. By turning a blind eye the Churches imply that their principles count for nothing and that moral laisser-faire rules ok!
    As for Ministers refusing to marry cohabiting couples being very, very rare I would respectfully suggest that until - say - the 1980s it was very rare for cohabiting couples to marry in church at all!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    If Labour are going to fine people for the perfectly legal act of tax avoidance, would they please list all the other perfectly legal activities they intend to fine us for?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and I note Opinium has Tories back on 36% which is the most important thing from my point of view.

Wonder if in 4 weeks time Survation, Populus, TNS and Panelbase will be looking frantically at their methodology and trying to explain away their abject failure to correctly predict the mood of the country. 9 days left for the 2-3% of Labour and Green voters who aren't registered to vote to get off their arses and register. Doubt many more will bother now. Survation and the others will probably still include them in their polling numbers.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

I can assure you that there are some Ministers - I am talking about England & Wales here - who would not knowingly marry couples who had aleady had full sexual relations with each other. At the end of the day 'chastity before marriage' is what the Christian Churches are supposed to believe in! Of course many find it impossible to live by that principle but surely such people should not expect the Church to facilitate the hypocrisy of a white wedding. By turning a blind eye the Churches imply that their principles count for nothing and that moral laisser-faire rules ok!
    As for Ministers refusing to marry cohabiting couples being very, very rare I would respectfully suggest that until - say - the 1980s it was very rare for cohabiting couples to marry in church at all!
    "I can assure you that there are some Ministers - I am talking about England & Wales here - who would not knowingly marry couples who had already had full sexual relations with each other."

Do these Ministers get clients ?

Is it permissible if these people had sexual relations with other people but not the one they are marrying ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    I've had enough of minnow's like Survation and Opinium. Time to bring on the big gun's like ICM and Mori.
  • Options
    isam said:

Good lord

I'm reporting what I've been told, I'm sorry if you don't like it.
  • Options
    isam said:

If you want £500@4/5 Ukip get less than 4.5 seats to cover it I will lay that
    @Mikesmithson

Let me know if you want to back the under 4.5 Ukip at 4/5. I'm out now but drop me an email

It suits me to lay it as I'm in Ukip 3-4 for a few quid at 8/1 so we are both laughing if they get that, you are laughing even more if they get exactly 2
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

If Labour are going to fine people for the perfectly legal act of tax avoidance, would they please list all the other perfectly legal activities they intend to fine us for?

No doubt they'll start fining anyone who doesn't vote Labour. Then onto anyone who takes the piss out of Miliband for looking like Wallace. Serious jail time for anyone who mentions Balls and Coopers house flipping.
  • Options

I think that's right as regards Reckless - given a choice I believe the Tories would prefer to regain Rochester & Strood whilst conceding South Thanet to Farage (where he will be the favourite to win anyway), rather than t' other way around. The question is whether the Blues have a sufficiently strong candidate to take on Reckless, remembering that she took quite a lot of stick at the by-election.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

You're pretty safe Mike.

I know the electoral system means that in theory you could get a big percentage vote but fail to earn any seats. However in practice it's been far from the case. UKIP on say 10-15% of the vote are presumed to get a couple of seats, but the LDs on the same are presumed to get 25+. It's possible, but there's some likelihood tat the models are wrong.(ell it's certain they're wrong, but some chance in this aspect)

Overall the opinion polls are likely to be underestimating the Tories and UKIP (more strongly). I think UKIP will make at least one remarkable gain, but unfortunately I think they'll make at best a handful. I say unfortunately because if the LDs finish up with (say) 30 MPs, and UKIP with (say) 6 when the vote shares are massively the other way then it will be damaging to all of us. It won't of course be nearly as damaging as the Scots issue.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    GIN1138 said:

I've had enough of minnow's like Survation and Opinium. Time to bring on the big gun's like ICM and Mori.

Ipsos Mori for definite next week.

ICM I'm confident we should get that too.
  • Options
    isam said:

Good lord

Polling showed huge numbers of Tories having a "holiday shag" with UKIP at the by-election, but returning to the fold at the General. I personally think Reckless is well gone, given how far UKIP are off their autumn peak.

I also don't see them getting close in Rother Valley or Grimsby.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

"Shock" defeat ? How can something that is expected be termed "shocking" ?
    Expectations for UKIP are much higher than GE2010. They've already won two tough by-elections in Tory held seats.

If their leader, who has a strong national profile and bags of charisma, fails to win Thanet South that is exactly how the media will portray and report it.
  • Options
    saddo said:

No doubt they'll start fining anyone who doesn't vote Labour. Then onto anyone who takes the piss out of Miliband for looking like Wallace. Serious jail time for anyone who mentions Balls and Coopers house flipping.
    Life sentence for not belonging to Unite....

• Options
    edited April 2015

Mark Reckless? Hated by Tories?

I find that hard to believe

*Innocent Face*
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845

GIN1138 said:

Ipsos Mori for definite next week.

ICM I'm confident we should get that too.
    #coocoocachoo

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

Good lord

Has Kelly Tolhurst been replaced?

MP_SE said:

Roger said:

"What" I asked?

What do they say about the Conservatives?
    Nothing great to be honest. A mixture of too posh, lost their way but will be voting for them to get a referendum/keep Labour out.

Quite sad that it seems that a large number of people are completely turned off by politics.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

justin124 said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

"I can assure you that there are some Ministers - I am talking about England & Wales here - who would not knowingly marry couples who had already had full sexual relations with each other."

Do these Ministers get clients ?

Is it permissible if these people had sexual relations with other people but not the one they are marrying ?
    No the Ministers I have in mind would very strongly disapprove of casual sex - but yes they do conduct wedding services.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    I beginning to think that these opinion polls are not worthy of the expert analysis this site lavishes on them. It is like running the data from an electron microscope through a quantum computer when studying the entrails of a sheep.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited April 2015
    If I were Mike S I would be somewhat apprehensive. It is quite possible that Carswell will be the only UKIP MP.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    justin124 said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

Our local priest refused to marry my sister and her husband for that very reason. Dug his heels in. It ended up with him being sick on the day, and the local Bishop standing in (all prearranged, naturally!)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

isam said:

Good lord

I'm reporting what I've been told, I'm sorry if you don't like it.
    But "The Tories really are throwing absolutely everything at Reckless" is gibberish. What is being done that is not being done by the Tories in every winnable seat? And if it's going to be so effective why don't they just "throw absolutely everything" at the opposition in each of the top 100 marginals and win a landslide? It's like tipping a horse in the National because the Owner/trainer/jockey really, really wants to win the race.
  • Options
    Charles said:

justin124 said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

Our local priest refused to marry my sister and her husband for that very reason. Dug his heels in. It ended up with him being sick on the day, and the local Bishop standing in (all prearranged, naturally!)
    Charles
    May I ask when that was?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. Mark, I agree entirely. It's cracker to castigate and punish people who are obeying the law. If the law's wrong, change it, don't punish people for being law-abiding.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

isam said:

Good lord

Polling showed huge numbers of Tories having a "holiday shag" with UKIP at the by-election, but returning to the fold at the General. I personally think Reckless is well gone, given how far UKIP are off their autumn peak.

I also don't see them getting close in Rother Valley or Grimsby.
    Let alone Rotheram. Here's to iSam!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Hillary Clinton apparently scheduled to announce her candidacy over the weekend. So 18 months of phoney 'war on women' malarkey that backfired in the midterms last year.

She doesn't seem to have anything else.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

As a political bettor I really wonder whether any of the polling companies have a clue. The pitfalls of adjustments bedevil them all, and it's precisely those adjustments that they can't know when to throw out.

As things stand I think we're on course for a wafer thin Tory win, SNP to have almost total domination in Scotland, LD's to have sufficient numbers to be easily able to book a table in a restaurant, and the Greens to be sufficient to form a meeting.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

I beginning to think that these opinion polls are not worthy of the expert analysis this site lavishes on them. It is like running the data from an electron microscope through a quantum computer when studying the entrails of a sheep.

It's OK as long as the computer has enough ram :-)
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Reckless isn't hated by anybody, he's a quiet unassuming bloke, the tories just bitterly resent him defecting because he's so good at his job. The tory candidate is very poor, Carswell is nailed on, Reckless is not far behind.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

GIN1138 said:

As a political bettor I really wonder whether any of the polling companies have a clue. The pitfalls of adjustments bedevil them all, and it's precisely those adjustments that they can't know when to throw out.

As things stand I think we're on course for a wafer thin Tory win, SNP to have almost total domination in Scotland, LD's to have sufficient numbers to be easily able to book a table in a restaurant, and the Greens to be sufficient to form a meeting.

This isn't aimed at you.

But I heard the same arguments levelled against the pollsters during the lead up to the Indyref.

By and large, most of them got the result well within the margin of error.

Whilst I understand the difference between a FPTP election and a referendum with a binary choice, that gives me confidence that most of the pollsters will get this election right.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    justin124 said:

Charles said:

Charles
    May I ask when that was?

It was a little more complicated than that: it is a rural church with one priest shared across three parishes. The priest wanted to close our church, because it was more traditional than he liked (his excuse was that his time was better spent ministering to the poor), but our family teamed up with the local squire to make sure that he wasn't able to do so.
  • Options

Mark Reckless? Hated by Tories?

I find that hard to believe

*Innocent Face*
    If you're a Tory that hates Reckless or Carswell then you're a fool.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Reckless isn't hated by anybody,

TSE!!
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Any reports on UKIP activity in general. In my seat they seem to have gone missing since the campaign kicked off.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

So you wish to impose your English mores on Scotland.

Typical imperialist.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Dair said:

justin124 said:

Pulupstar

Chastity before marriage has, surely always been fairly unusual, except among people where it was essential to be assured that the first child was that of the husband. I'm pretty sure that in some parts of theese islands some evidence of the brides fertility ws needed before marriage.
This discussion has been closed.