Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After ICM another phone poll, Ipsos-MORI, has UKIP on 12 pe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After ICM another phone poll, Ipsos-MORI, has UKIP on 12 percent

The monthly Ipsos-MORI poll for the Evening Standard is out and sees very little change on a month ago. The firm’s UKIP share is 12% which is exactly what ICM had yesterday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,257
    Only 4% behind mid term, I'll take that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,122
    FPT

Living standards are falling but only because we never actually earned the standard of living we gave ourselves in the years 2002-2008. Instead we boosted consumption by borrowing, equity release and unfunded government expenditure while so much capital spending was bought on the never never through PFI.

5 years on and real wages have inevitably fallen from that credit driven balloon economy. This has been hard but it has also been good news as it has massively reduced the otherwise inevitable increase in unemployment.

I agree with some of what @stodge is saying. There is a real risk for the government that this is a voteless recovery with individual families in work seeing very little benefit. I also agree with @SouthamObserver that the benefits of prior growth have been distributed very unevenly as have the hardships of the last 5 years. It is frankly bewildering that the incomes of FTSE senior management have continued to climb so fast when wages have been static for so many.

Sharing what Cameron used to call the fruits of growth will not be easy, not least because we are still running large trade and government deficits and are still living beyond our means. There is no real room for increasing consumption until we can make and sell more. Will people look at the big picture (which is getting better) or their own circumstances (which in many cases are not)? The answer to that question will, in my opinion, decide the next election.

Ed was therefore right in his approach today but the execution was poor and there were a couple of sharp blows to the kidneys which will worry Labour going forward. I suspect this is not the last time a complaint about a cut will be met with Labour's tax avoidance.

Flag

Quote ·
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT
    stodge said:

AveryLP said:

Some measured and balanced comments on the employment figures by economists at Barclays:

“Secondly, the improvement in earnings growth was driven by bonus pay and core average weekly earnings growth remains close to record lows. As prices continue to increase faster than earnings by some margin still, the already prolonged period of negative real pay growth seems set to continue and is likely to remain a hurdle to further improvements in consumer demand.”

Here is the big political problem for the Coalition. All this frothy news is well and good but it's not translating into direct improvement in the economic prospects for individuals and families (voters) as the next GE approaches.

For many, if not most people the economic picture remains weak if not stagnant at best and downright lousy at worst. People are not better off and do not feel better off and until they do, the blandishments of UKIP and Labour will be attractive.

Of course, stodge and this is the reason that Ed Miliband tried to focus on falls in living standards in this week's PMQs. This is a problem the Coalition won't and can't solve in the time left before 2015

However, voters are not completely dumb. Eradicating the deficit on the back of competitive growth rates is creating the foundations for slowly redressing the gap in living standards. Income levels will rise with productivity gains but the immediate priority is wider employment. Fiscal consolidation and multi-sector deleveraging will also eventually lead to balanced budgets and surplus revenues which can be used to improve living standards by reducing tax burdens and accelerating growth through increased investment.

Voters will have to ask themselves whether they are closer to this nirvana in 2015 than they were in 2010.

As for the economic picture remaining "weak if not stagnant", this is really not the case today in the UK.

Take the view of the markets as proof:

The U.K. currency strengthened against most of its 16 major peers as a wider measure of unemployment declined in April, providing further evidence that an economic recovery is under way.

“The pound is outperforming across the board,” said Neil Jones, head of European hedge-fund sales at Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd. in London. “U.K. data continues to point to a recovery. Overseas investors are encouraged by the data and are buying the pound in order to purchase U.K. assets.”

We are getting there. It may be a long journey, but the destination is in sight.
  • Options
    DavidL is right. We went on an unearned binge. And convinced ourselves the sugar rush was a normal sustainable thing.

They will never admit it, and this is one reason I hate them, but Labour with their incontinent borrowing and spending, their open doors and their dumbing down have royally fuc*ed the life chances of millions.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    AveryLP said:

FPT

stodge said:

AveryLP said:

Some measured and balanced comments on the employment figures by economists at Barclays:

“Secondly, the improvement in earnings growth was driven by bonus pay and core average weekly earnings growth remains close to record lows. As prices continue to increase faster than earnings by some margin still, the already prolonged period of negative real pay growth seems set to continue and is likely to remain a hurdle to further improvements in consumer demand.”

Here is the big political problem for the Coalition. All this frothy news is well and good but it's not translating into direct improvement in the economic prospects for individuals and families (voters) as the next GE approaches.

For many, if not most people the economic picture remains weak if not stagnant at best and downright lousy at worst. People are not better off and do not feel better off and until they do, the blandishments of UKIP and Labour will be attractive.

the destination is in sight.
    The Opposition benches?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Patrick said:

DavidL is right. We went on an unearned binge. And convinced ourselves the sugar rush was a normal sustainable thing.

They will never admit it, and this is one reason I hate them, but Labour with their incontinent borrowing and spending, their open doors and their dumbing down have royally fuc*ed the life chances of millions.

It is a problem that goes well beyond the UK and one that did not begin with decisions taken from 1997 onwards. The political and historical reality is that societies which do not deliver improving standards of living for the majority of their citizens are seldom sustainable. The consequences of that will be felt by rich and poor alike.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    How a career self-destructs

Ross Hawkins @rosschawkins
    Constance Briscoe is to be charged with two counts of intending to pervert the course of justice, say CPS (PA)
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Good poll for the Tories.

The Lebo and Norpoth model gives them a 4.7% vote lead and a 16 seat lead in 2015.

Only around a 1.3% swing to Labour.

Chance of a hung parliament is a near certainty.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Only one leader who polls less "satisfieds" than his party scores %.

• Options
    @Tim

I don't know. I'm not Dave. If I were running the country we'd have been on a somewhat different path for the last 3 years - the last 16 in fact! But we are where we are. Both Labour and Tory leaderships need to get the Competitiveness religion.
  • Options
    At what stage into this parliament did Labour start to get circa 35% plus in the polls?
  • Options
    On topic, the bad news for Labour is that Balls is only narrowly ahead of the utterly toxic George Osborne overall.

The good news is that it probably won't stop them winning the next election with the LD2010 and UKIP dynamic favouring Labour so much.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I didn't think much of Constance Briscoe after she wrote a book attacking her own mother.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The very wealthy are too wealthy theme is on the thread again today. It is the most compelling point the left make. Even as a thatcherite I agree that more wealth should be shared out amongst middle and working class people.

I've never seen a single compelling argument that suggests how we might do that, however.

We've tried higher taxes, and taxes on wealth and land. The money runs offshore. We;ve tried closing loopholes. They keep finding more ones. We've tried ramping up the pressure on havens. There's always some locality somewhere prepared to offer global capital a home.

But I agree with Southam. It's a big problem and it's getting worse. And in the end, too big a cap between worker and tycoon is a recipe for instability or worse.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Another poll indicating Labour may struggle to win even a third of the vote in 2015.

If this was Australia they'd be considering a leadership election.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Meanwhile in the Eurozone ...

Greece is downgraded to "emerging-market" status:

The equity index provider MSCI Inc has lowered Greece from 'developed'- to 'emerging-market' status, because the Hellenic Republic has not met size requirements for the last two years.

But will the Greeks know this? The Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT) has closed down taking the state broadcaster off the air.

And the Greeks have failed to complete the sale of state assets demanded as a condition for the latest Troika bail-out.

Gazprom, the Russian state energy company, has pulled out of a deal to buy Greece's state gas company, Depa, leaving a shortfall in government receipts.

Markets now expect the Greek government to impose further austerity measures and to need additional bailout funds just to meet existing Trioka requirements.

But we need fear nothing. As Citoyen Hollande insists: "There is no longer any crisis in the Eurozone".
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Patrick said:

It is a problem that goes well beyond the UK and one that did not begin with decisions taken from 1997 onwards. The political and historical reality is that societies which do not deliver improving standards of living for the majority of their citizens are seldom sustainable. The consequences of that will be felt by rich and poor alike.

Problem is we could be reaching the stage on a technological and economic level where that is just impossible. Before in human development humans were limited geographically and politically, but that's not really the case anymore. Due to globalisation I have the feeling that we need to wait for the rest of the world to catch us up before we continue to make progress.

Until then we will struggled to be both productive and competitive, and god help the unskilled labour, as they will have little chance, as they already have done.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Both of those points are true SO but that does not mean that the last government was not a disaster of truly epic proportions which made a difficult situation desperate.

By 2007 we had the worst debt ratios of almost any country in the world if you combine both public and private debt; we had a very serious trade deficit and a government who had convinced themselves that it did not matter and, cricket fan though he is, we had an incredibly smug and complacent Governor sitting in the bank kidding himself about the so called NICE decade.

Never mind our children, our grandchildren will be paying the price for that lot.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

At what stage into this parliament did Labour start to get circa 35% plus in the polls?

June 2010 they got 35% on ICM for the first time.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2013
    The Briscoe case raises a very interesting point of law about the confidentiality of documents disclosed between parties in criminal proceedings, and the extent to which a party can use disclosed material for purposes extraneous to the proceedings in which they were disclosed, without permission of the disclosing party or an order of the court. Will be interesting to see how it develops. Edit: charges are as follows:
    (1) Between 16 May 2011 and 6 October 2012 [CB] with intent to pervert the course of public justice, did a series of acts which had a tendency to pervert the course of public justice, in that [CB] provided the police with two statements which were inaccurate, contrary to Common Law;
    (2) On 6 October 2012 [CB] with intent to pervert the course of public justice, did an act which had a tendency to pervert the course of public justice, in that [CB] produced a copy of your witness statement that had been altered and maintained that it was the correct version of that statement, contrary to Common Law.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Patrick said:

There've been quite big periods of history in which living standards were static, or even declined, but it's a couple of hundred years since we've experienced such a thing.

• Options
    Looking at the figures rEd is a drag on the ticket - Balls aint.

Balls for leader ?
  • Options
    here've been quite big periods of history in which living standards were static, or even declined, but it's a couple of hundred years since we've experienced such a thing.

I'm no historian, but it would be interesting to look at living standards for working and middle class people in France in the second half of the 18 century and Russia in the latter part of the 19th. Were there noticeable drops? and how much richer did the very rich get?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited June 2013
    taffys said:

The very wealthy are too wealthy theme is on the thread again today. It is the most compelling point the left make. Even as a thatcherite I agree that more wealth should be shared out amongst middle and working class people.

I've never seen a single compelling argument that suggests how we might do that, however.

We've tried higher taxes, and taxes on wealth and land. The money runs offshore. We;ve tried closing loopholes. They keep finding more ones. We've tried ramping up the pressure on havens. There's always some locality somewhere prepared to offer global capital a home.

But I agree with Southam. It's a big problem and it's getting worse. And in the end, too big a cap between worker and tycoon is a recipe for instability or worse.

" The money runs offshore."

Evidence please.

However, I agree with your broader point. For me the critical thing to achieve is that (1) regardless of family background everyone has a fairly equal shot at getting to the top and (2) people who work hard and play by the rules still get a good quality of life.

(1) means much more investment in education, trying to reverse the collapse in marriage culture among the poor, making universities take into account secondary school average grades when making offers, and clamping down on nepotism/cronyism for the good jobs and internships.
    (2) means improving the quality of poor neighbourhoods through crime reduction and regeneration projects so middle class people move in and we get more mixed neighbourhoods. Limiting unskilled immigration would also be a good idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh dear - we are not back onto the bubble that is being deflated at £6bn per quarter.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/PublishingImages/hew/2012/Dec/chart1.GIF

"In seasonally adjusted terms, the Bank’s measure of housing equity withdrawal (HEW) in 2012 Q4 was -£8.6bn (Table A). HEW as a percentage of post-tax income was -3.1% in 2012 Q4, compared to -2.9% for 2012 Q3.

The negative figure indicates a continued injection of housing equity by households overall, with the net flow of lending secured on dwellings remaining weaker than their investment in housing"

• Options
    Far more seriously, of course, are Australia going to give us a decent game this year? Their batting is looking very ordinary again today.

2005 this is not going to be. Looking forward to Durham though.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm perplexed as to why the MORI ratings have turned in favour of Balls. Has something happened that I've missed?

GDP, employment, inflation, deficit et al are all flat or going in the right direction - I can't think what is driving this unless its simply drift/a blip.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

There've been quite big periods of history in which living standards were static, or even declined, but it's a couple of hundred years since we've experienced such a thing.

We've never had a period in history before in which conspicuous wealth has been so widely visible. And we do not have the religious certainties that used to sustain very unequal societies in the past.
  • Options
    taffys said:

here've been quite big periods of history in which living standards were static, or even declined, but it's a couple of hundred years since we've experienced such a thing.

I'm no historian, but it would be interesting to look at living standards for working and middle class people in France in the second half of the 18 century and Russia in the latter part of the 19th. Were there noticeable drops? and how much richer did the very rich get?

I would expect for an awful lot of groups of people their 'wealth' didn't change much for hundreds of years. It would only have been the industrial revolution which transformed the way people lived their lives.

Someone living in a village in say Suffolk in the 11th century would have been very similar to someone living in the same village in the 18th century...

But I'm no historican also. Probably the wool trade and merchants etc were able to growth wealth, but then are they any different to the bankers of today (ie the 1% compared with the 99%).....
  • Options
    If an improving recovery means the Tories get two points back off UKIP and the Lib Dems get two points back off Labour, we get the following seat projection:

Labour 319, Tories 277, Lib Dems 27

That means a Lab-Lib pact would have a majority of just twenty. Is Miliband a strong enough leader to keep everyone in check?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Have they dropped below 35% with ICM since then?

It would be interesting to know how Labour's almost instantaneous post-GE poll bounce compares to how other losing governments have fared when they were kicked out of office.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

We've never had a period in history before in which conspicuous wealth has been so widely visible. And we do not have the religious certainties that used to sustain very unequal societies in the past.
    The gilted age in the US comes to mind.
  • Options
    Plato said:

GDP, employment, inflation, deficit et al are all flat or going in the right direction - I can't think what is driving this.

The discussion about living standards going on around you on this thread might be a clue.

This is the huge danger for your party Plato. If you (or more importantly Cameron and Osborne!) keep churning out tractor stats saying that everything is hunky dory whilst people are still feeling the pain in a big way, voters will instinctively recoil.
  • Options
    There have been a number of studies linking rises in living standards to periods of technical innovation. We seem to be stagnating there. We have many wonderful inventions these days but nothing quite so life changing as clean water, steam power, electricity, etc. To kick start improvements in living standards we need the next big thing.

I'd suggest that getting on top of fusion power would be a good candidate. If we could deliver nearly free limitless electricity from deuterium then all sorts of bets would be off. Over history living standards pretty much equate to energy consumption - so not unreasonable to hope for an energy liberation to drive the next wave of growth. Let's hope this is not too far off.
  • Options

taffys said:

I would expect for an awful lot of groups of people their 'wealth' didn't change much for hundreds of years. It would only have been the industrial revolution which transformed the way people lived their lives.

Someone living in a village in say Suffolk in the 11th century would have been very similar to someone living in the same village in the 18th century...

But I'm no historican also. Probably the wool trade and merchants etc were able to growth wealth, but then are they any different to the bankers of today (ie the 1% compared with the 99%).....

taffys said:

That Suffolk village and its environs, though, would have been the world to the villagers. They would have had nothing to compare their lives to and an all-powerful church telling them that their lives were essentially pre-ordained by God.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

I think the greatest error anyone can make about history is pretending that things will continue the way they are for ever.

If empires and civilisations can fall, then anything is possible. No doubt Romans thought the Empire would always continue, the same with the Aztecs or Incas etc.

Lets also not forget, that growth and power in the past often came from war and from the backs of some very questionable activities. We can't go conquering lands for our own benefit anymore...
  • Options

taffys said:

taffys said:

That Suffolk village and its environs, though, would have been the world to the villagers. They would have had nothing to compare their lives to and an all-powerful church telling them that their lives were essentially pre-ordained by God.

Well indeed, and until the even of global travel and telecommunications the same could have been said for most people on a country level. Globalisation has changed that...for the vast benefit of a lot of people in developing countries. But for Western Europe it could mean stagnation and a lot of problems.

Which is proving to be the case.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Mike, would you be interested in putting a link to some of my election stuff in the sidebar?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AswNZWYSW1uvdEJNMlllenV5LXJiX3pPdUFYUF9aSEE&usp=sharing
  • Options
    Socrates said:

taffys said:

" The money runs offshore."

Evidence please.

However, I agree with your broader point. For me the critical thing to achieve is that (1) regardless of family background everyone has a fairly equal shot at getting to the top and (2) people who work hard and play by the rules still get a good quality of life.

(1) means much more investment in education, trying to reverse the collapse in marriage culture among the poor, making universities take into account secondary school average grades when making offers, and clamping down on nepotism/cronyism for the good jobs and internships.
    (2) means improving the quality of poor neighbourhoods through crime reduction and regeneration projects so middle class people move in and we get more mixed neighbourhoods. Limiting unskilled immigration would also be a good idea.

Globally available and widely used contraception, combined with top quality healthcare in all parts of the world, would solve many problems. Sadly, both are a distant dream.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2013
    On June 10, I said this:

"I had a 'phone interview by Ipsos MORI a couple of days ago. It was putatively political, but there were sneaky questions about car/'phone/house-ownership/newspaper-reading, etc. Indeed, given their format of black-white/either-or styling, those were the only questions that were rigorous. By contrast, I would not like to think that the superficial level of their political queries would influence anybody to do anything. "

So I reckon my opinions might be blended into this poll's results. I still don't take it seriously. But maybe these guys read tea leaves?
    Edit: Or maybe they'd do better to consult OGH?
  • Options

taffys said:

taffys said:

Well indeed, and until the even of global travel and telecommunications the same could have been said for most people on a country level. Globalisation has changed that...for the vast benefit of a lot of people in developing countries. But for Western Europe it could mean stagnation and a lot of problems.

I'd argue it goes way beyond Western Europe. Resource-light countries in all parts of the developed world are going to feel the squeeze. And a solution has to be found.

• Options
    carl said:

Plato said:

GDP, employment, inflation, deficit et al are all flat or going in the right direction - I can't think what is driving this.

The discussion about living standards going on around you on this thread might be a clue.

This is the huge danger for your party Plato. If you (or more importantly Cameron and Osborne!) keep churning out tractor stats saying that everything is hunky dory whilst people are still feeling the pain in a big way, voters will instinctively recoil.
    It is not that the left inclined voters will "instinctively recoil", Carl.

What is happening is that they will instinctively become less certain to vote.

As tim so ably pointed out in his post upthread:

Mori Poll figures are 10/10 certain to vote.
    The 5-10 certainty to vote figures are 29/36/12/12

The problem for Labour is that its traditional supporters will prefer to remain on the sofa pushing the Sky remote button rather than getting up and out to vote.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,890
    Blanket coverage of celebrity lifestyle in the media is giving many young people earning normal wages the impression that their own lifestyle is below par
  • Options

taffys said:

taffys said:

Do/did Catholics believe in temporal predestination? I genuinely don't know.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    AveryLP said:

The problem for Labour is that its traditional supporters will prefer to remain on the sofa pushing the Sky remote button rather than getting up and out to vote.

Except in the key marginals where the LAB GOTV operation is much better than the CON one.

• Options

taffys said:

taffys said:

I'd argue it goes way beyond Western Europe. Resource-light countries in all parts of the developed world are going to feel the squeeze. And a solution has to be found.

taffys said:

taffys said:

I agree... but what is the solution. There's the rub. Tories don't have an answer, labour certainly doesn't.. No one in the EU has an answer.

The more and more you look at it, Europe is just going to struggle. Resource light as you say.. but cost heavy, with expensive labour, and expensive social welfare systems.

We can try to keep ahead of the game in terms of education and technology, but the world is rapidly catching up and is much more lean and hungry than us. They're more flexible and have looser morals as well.

It's going to be a huge challenge, and I'm not sure were equipped with the politicans or the political structures to cope with it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    taffys said:

What too many businesses have forgotten is that a successful business needs a swuccessful ecosystem to flourish. In part this is because all of the focus is on global businesses (which see themselves - wrongly IMV - as rootless operators).

The squaring of the circle can only come through the shareholders giving back a proportion through philanthrophy. Sure it may not go exactly where some bureaucrat might want it, but it does spread the wealth without damaging incentives (as an example, our family gives away 12.5% of annual profits and c. 75% of non-strategic investments on death). Admittedly we are probably on the extreme...

Government needs to work to create a culture of giving, and to facilitate the same through the tax system
  • Options
    Evidence please...

The FT reports in March that wealth held in tax havens stand at approximately 8.5 trillion dollars right now.

Of course, that's wealth from around the world, not just UK citizens. But its a big number.
  • Options

taffys said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

I agree... but what is the solution. There's the rub. Tories don't have an answer, labour certainly doesn't.. No one in the EU has an answer.

The more and more you look at it, Europe is just going to struggle. Resource light as you say.. but cost heavy, with expensive labour, and expensive social welfare systems.

We can try to keep ahead of the game in terms of education and technology, but the world is rapidly catching up and is much more lean and hungry than us. They're more flexible and have looser morals as well.

It's going to be a huge challenge, and I'm not sure were equipped with the politicans or the political structures to cope with it.

That was precisely my point when we started discusising this on the previous thread. None of our parties seem to have even begun to give any of this serious thought. A potentially epochal existential crisis is brewing under their very noses and none of them have noticed.

• Options

JonathanD said:

It would be interesting to know how Labour's almost instantaneous post-GE poll bounce compares to how other losing governments have fared when they were kicked out of office.

Only the once, when they had 34% with ICM earlier this year. Labour have had a parabolic polling curve over the last three years. Going from low to mid 30s% up to the mid 40s% and then back down to the mid 30s%

I don't know whether opinion polls were reliable enough in the past to really be able to give a good idea of voting intention between elections. I'd guess Labour have recovered alot faster than other previous parties although being the only party of opposition will have helped.
  • Options

taffys said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

That was precisely my point when we started discusising this on the previous thread. None of our parties seem to have even begun to give any of this serious thought. A potentially epochal existential crisis is brewing under their very noses and none of them have noticed.

So we agree... the only difference is that you think a path of ever increasing prosperity can be found, and I'm not so sure it can....
  • Options

taffys said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

So we agree... the only difference is that you think a path of ever increasing prosperity can be found, and I'm not so sure it can....
    A path of ever increasing prosperity can be found. It will just be unequally shared.
  • Options
    @Slackbladder

See my link earlier. Income is becoming unequal just as much in these "leaner" countries like China, India etc. Losing out to the East is not the cause of this inequality as it's happening there too. I suspect it's technology induced.
  • Options
    Government needs to work to create a culture of giving, and to facilitate the same through the tax system

I read somewhere that the victorian rich gave 10% of their incomes to charity and today the number is 1%.

But then the victorian rich paid virtually no tax. maybe 3p in the pound.

If we slashed the top rate of taxation to say, 15 per cent, would vast amounts of cash come back onshore? would the wealthy suddenly become much more philanthropic?

I doubt it. But it might be worth a try

• Options
    edited June 2013

AveryLP said:

Except in the key marginals where the LAB GOTV operation is much better than the CON one.

I have never been entirely convinced by the superior GOTV operation argument.

It muddles efficiency and effectiveness. A highly efficient and competitive ground operation is a good resource to have (and all parties should seek to develop it) but more factors need to be at play to guarantee electoral success.

The UKIP surge is not based on any developed ground operation ,yet, while the sun shines, it delivers the votes.

A superior LAB GOTV will help the reds but it will not secure them victory even in the marginals.

The state of the economy in 2015, the risk of returning it to Labour control and the forward prospects of reaping a return on austerity will be far more powerful factors in determining the outcome of the GE.
  • Options
    One thing is for sure. The EU is more blind than the UK to the need for competition. Dave was banging on about competitiveness the other day. Balls has got religion recently on spending and welfare universality. We may have arguments about this in the UK but at least we do have arguments.

France is chief ostrich in the EU - an EU which wants to pretend supply side reform and competitiveness away. We're in for a brutally hard adjustment as the rest of the world out-competes us (or at least out-competes the unskilled). Nothing that comes from Brussels is going to make that adjustment faster or smoother - quite the opposite in fact. The EU will make the journey and the outcome way more painful for the UK than if we just walk.
  • Options
    And a govt target of house prices at 3 times income would be useful.

In your part of the world its already there, isn't it? average wage on Merseyside 20 grand? double income 35 grand?

I reckon you can probably pick up properties for 60 grand n some parts of that lovely part of the world?

Its only in the dynamic wealth powerhouse that is the south east there's a problem
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

What too many businesses have forgotten is that a successful business needs a swuccessful ecosystem to flourish. In part this is because all of the focus is on global businesses (which see themselves - wrongly IMV - as rootless operators).

The squaring of the circle can only come through the shareholders giving back a proportion through philanthrophy. Sure it may not go exactly where some bureaucrat might want it, but it does spread the wealth without damaging incentives (as an example, our family gives away 12.5% of annual profits and c. 75% of non-strategic investments on death). Admittedly we are probably on the extreme...

What a shock, Charles' solution would be to carry on running the world so Charles gets all the cash and then incentivise Charles to give some of it away to what Charles considers good causes.

The biggest generator of inequality in this country is housing costs and housing inflation which pushes wealth to the wealthy and old.
    Tax house price inflation.

And a govt target of house prices at 3 times income would be useful.
    Build until that point is reached, then tell the BoE to include it alongside their inflation targets.

tim, sometimes there really are good and generous people in the world.

We really don't have to give away any money, but we choose to do so (and would do so regardless of incentivisation).

I know you don't understand the concept of people wanting to be generous and share their good fortune without the intervention of the government, but it really does exist.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@Slackbladder

See my link earlier. Income is becoming unequal just as much in these "leaner" countries like China, India etc. Losing out to the East is not the cause of this inequality as it's happening there too. I suspect it's technology induced.

Technology and education. In a lot of countries there's little point in educating the masses beyond what is needed for labour..(I'm not agreeing with that, just pointing out its the case).
  • Options
    I used to think that a massive tax on inherited wealth would be a good answer to encouraging a more equal society without punishing hard working self made wealthy people, but making sure their kids didn't laze about living off the interest.

So 0% inheritance tax on wealth earned by individuals but 50% on inherited wealth for instance?

So Richard Branson can leave all his money to his kids free of tax but they would only be able to leave 50% of that inheritance to their children. The idea being with such a head start they should be able to earn the other 50% themselves.

Is this nonsense?!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

Interesting theory

Fraser Nelson ‏@frasernelson
    RT @Rosiejanele: Balls overtakes Osborne as “most capable Chancellor” http://flip.it/xMfUZ >> bold pensions stance brings more credibility

Dave is convinced that Balls made a huge error.

Maybe the country are ready for the debate.
    Instead we get Cameron featherbedding pensioners and Osborne stoking a housing bubble which helps the over 60's even more.

What I've seen of Fraser Nelson over the past few years,he'll be crap as a politician,he's all over the place on everything,depends which poll/studio/paper.
  • Options
    @Slackbladder

My point is that unless the majority of people in a society are more or less content with their lives and are confident of their childrens' futures, then that society has a very real problem. I'd argue that we are getting to a stage where we can no longer be confident that either is the case. There is no choice here. Solutions must be found if we are to avoid major upheavals further down the line. Britain's genius over the last 300 years or so has always been to do enough to avoid the serious conflicts that have engulfed so many other parts of the world, including places very close to home. We need that genius to reassert itself once more.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    tim said:

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

Both of those points are true SO but that does not mean that the last government was not a disaster of truly epic proportions which made a difficult situation desperate.

By 2007 we had the worst debt ratios of almost any country in the world if you combine both public and private debt; we had a very serious trade deficit and a government who had convinced themselves that it did not matter and, cricket fan though he is, we had an incredibly smug and complacent Governor sitting in the bank kidding himself about the so called NICE decade.

Never mind our children, our grandchildren will be paying the price for that lot.
    Well we had an opposition who backed Browns spending plans as well.
    And now that opposition is in power they are deliberately stoking a housing bubble which was at the root of much of the debt.

You won't solve any of this while housing/income price ratios are so high in this country.
    And Osborne has decided to make it worse.

"[this govt] deliberately stoking a housing bubble"?

This from a supporter of a govt that switched its inflation targeting mid-term to CPI from RPI underpinning the most damaging housing boom in recent history?

As they would say on CiF - beyond irony.
  • Options
    Perhaps you dewey eyed Marxists should head for Cyprus - they solved the problem of the wealthy by stealing their money.

• Options
    May I make an early nomination of tim's claim that Osborne is stoking a housing bubble for "PB anecdote of the year"?
  • Options

@Slackbladder

My point is that unless the majority of people in a society are more or less content with their lives and are confident of their childrens' futures, then that society has a very real problem. I'd argue that we are getting to a stage where we can no longer be confident that either is the case. There is no choice here. Solutions must be found if we are to avoid major upheavals further down the line. Britain's genius over the last 300 years or so has always been to do enough to avoid the serious conflicts that have engulfed so many other parts of the world, including places very close to home. We need that genius to reassert itself once more.

Look at Greece... I'm not saying that were we're headed, but it's a test case for how much a society is willing to debase itself.

No ones coming up for much of a solution there either.
  • Options
    I don't know whether anyone's interested but I've spent the last few weeks inputting all the local election data into easy-to-read spreadsheets. I don't think this information is available in this format anywhere else:

http://vote-2012.proboards.com/post/82801/thread

Rallings & Thrasher probably have something similar but they don't make it publicly available.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    AveryLP said:

FPT

stodge said:

AveryLP said:

Of course, stodge and this is the reason that Ed Miliband tried to focus on falls in living standards in this week's PMQs. This is a problem the Coalition won't and can't solve in the time left before 2015

However, voters are not completely dumb. Eradicating the deficit on the back of competitive growth rates is creating the foundations for slowly redressing the gap in living standards. Income levels will rise with productivity gains but the immediate priority is wider employment. Fiscal consolidation and multi-sector deleveraging will also eventually lead to balanced budgets and surplus revenues which can be used to improve living standards by reducing tax burdens and accelerating growth through increased investment.

Voters will have to ask themselves whether they are closer to this nirvana in 2015 than they were in 2010.

As for the economic picture remaining "weak if not stagnant", this is really not the case today in the UK.

The U.K. currency strengthened against most of its 16 major peers as a wider measure of unemployment declined in April, providing further evidence that an economic recovery is under way.

“The pound is outperforming across the board,” said Neil Jones, head of European hedge-fund sales at Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd. in London. “U.K. data continues to point to a recovery. Overseas investors are encouraged by the data and are buying the pound in order to purchase U.K. assets.”

We are getting there. It may be a long journey, but the destination is in sight.
    Once again, a misrepresentation of my comments, Avery. "Weak if not stagnant" was my take on people's perception of the economy rather than the actual health of the economy which I cheerfully concede is improving.

Around your verbosity lies the critical point that the average voter probably won't feel better any better off in 2015. Labour's challenge is twofold - to be credible and optimistic. Yes, the Coalition has managed austerity but who will be trusted to manage the recovery?

The undercurrent that the Conservative agenda is predicated on improving the lot of the few is going to be a tough one to shift but Labour need to be much more convincing themselves.
  • Options
    Imagine the hoo-hah if this happened in 2013? Arsenal would be giving back a lot of money to kids who had bought shirts with "Allen" on the back...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2340177/Clive-Allen-joined-Arsenal-33-years-ago-today-left-months.html
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

taffys said:

That's going rather too far tbh. 7 centuries is a long time and there were some pretty important and massive shifts over that time. In the 11th you'd still have been in a pretty feudal system with villein-age (serfdom, near-slavery essentially) widespread, that kind of direct power would be unrecognisable by the 18th.

The ravages of plagues led to big increases in the leverage of the poor after they passed (supply and demand of labour).

The shift from a primarily agrarian society to one more based around pastoral farming (region specific) was a huge shift (and led to riots, polemics, etc), alongside great related developments in trade (particularly in relation to Suffolk with a chunk of the Dutch wool trade running through there).

The 1% of both times would still have been the king and aristocratic landowners, the lawyers, merchants, etc were more of an emerging "middling sort" (albeit some were richer than the aristocracy, but money certainly wasn't everything back then). The rise of that "middling sort" professionals and a shift from an economic and legal system based on feudalism, land, control, and service to one closer to mobility and money is an immense shift.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    edited June 2013

If there is a path to ever-increasing prosperity, it'll be down to people like Mrs J and Mrs J's sister (who is getting her doctorate next month - yay!).

There is no political solution to the problems; politics can only try to get the best deal with the hand we have.

Technology is the only way forward. New technology has changed our lives over the last two centuries, mostly for the better. To continue to improve we need new technology, from energy to materials. But especially materials.

However it is costly. As an example: the $1 billion IFMIF plant is being built to investigate materials that might be able to be used in a nuclear fusion reactor. Not to build a reactor: just to develop the required materials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fusion_Materials_Irradiation_Facility

The diamond light source is a good start, but we need to do more. Materials enables technology and improved human lives on every level. Through materials we progress as a society.

http://www.diamond.ac.uk/
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

May I make an early nomination of tim's claim that Osborne is stoking a housing bubble for "PB anecdote of the year"?

Its not a bubble that has happened yet though you know - its a bubble that is being stoked - whilst everyone pays off their mortgages.

Its coming - like global warming man - you'll be sorry.

• Options
    Britain's genius over the last 300 years or so has always been to do enough to avoid the serious conflicts that have engulfed so many other parts of the world, including places very close to home

?????????

I'm trying to think of a single serious conflict we haven't been involved in during the last 300 years.

WW1 bled Britain dry. And WW2, coming so soon after, almost finished us off. It's taken us decades to recover.

Some countries suffered much more, I grant you, but relative to their size, resources and population? I'm not sure.
  • Options

@Slackbladder

Look at Greece... I'm not saying that were we're headed, but it's a test case for how much a society is willing to debase itself.

In addition if we're looking at history again, the Fall of the Roman Empire plunged Europe into a hole it took about 1,000 years to climb out of.

I'm not trying to be as dramactic as saying something as that is happening, but we've only have had the 'good times' for the last 60 years since then end of WW2, that's a tiny amount of time on the historical scale... roll it on 60 years and who knows where we are?
  • Options
    What seems to be new is the way the super-rich are able to pretty much cut themselves off from the rest of society. They regard the idea of interacting with ordinary people as something to be avoided at all costs.
  • Options
    isam said:

I used to think that a massive tax on inherited wealth would be a good answer to encouraging a more equal society without punishing hard working self made wealthy people, but making sure their kids didn't laze about living off the interest.

So 0% inheritance tax on wealth earned by individuals but 50% on inherited wealth for instance?

So Richard Branson can leave all his money to his kids free of tax but they would only be able to leave 50% of that inheritance to their children. The idea being with such a head start they should be able to earn the other 50% themselves.

Is this nonsense?!

The devil is in the detail I suspect, with regards to them finding other ways of transferring said wealth.
  • Options

@Slackbladder

In addition if we're looking at history again, the Fall of the Roman Empire plunged Europe into a hole it took about 1,000 years to climb out of.

But there never would have been an hole to climb out of had the Romans elected Osnatus as Emperor.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    But I thought Balls' intervention on spending discipline was supposed to backfire on Labour? I know because the PB Tories told us so
  • Options
    tim said:

More importantly on the Osborne Balls rating, among 2010 Lib Dems Balls has a massive 31% lead over Toxic George - 55/24

And, as Mike often says, hold on to those and very little else matters...

• Options
    AveryLP said:

FPT

stodge said:

AveryLP said:

"eradicating the deficit"

Do you actually believe this drivel?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    taffys said:

Britain's genius over the last 300 years or so has always been to do enough to avoid the serious conflicts that have engulfed so many other parts of the world, including places very close to home

?????????

I'm trying to think of a single serious conflict we haven't been involved in during the last 300 years.

WW1 bled Britain dry. And WW2, coming so soon after, almost finished us off. It's taken us decades to recover.

Some countries suffered much more, I grant you, but relative to their size, resources and population? I'm not sure.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant internal conflicts - revolutions, civil wars, coups etc.

• Options
    corporeal said:

taffys said:

That's going rather too far tbh. 7 centuries is a long time and there were some pretty important and massive shifts over that time. In the 11th you'd still have been in a pretty feudal system with villein-age (serfdom, near-slavery essentially) widespread, that kind of direct power would be unrecognisable by the 18th.

The ravages of plagues led to big increases in the leverage of the poor after they passed (supply and demand of labour).

The shift from a primarily agrarian society to one more based around pastoral farming (region specific) was a huge shift (and led to riots, polemics, etc), alongside great related developments in trade (particularly in relation to Suffolk with a chunk of the Dutch wool trade running through there).

The 1% of both times would still have been the king and aristocratic landowners, the lawyers, merchants, etc were more of an emerging "middling sort" (albeit some were richer than the aristocracy, but money certainly wasn't everything back then). The rise of that "middling sort" professionals and a shift from an economic and legal system based on feudalism, land, control, and service to one closer to mobility and money is an immense shift.
    700 years is pushing the example beyond breaking point, you're probably right thinking about it longer...

but certainly when you consider only 60-70 years since WW2, that period of time which we consider to be the 'modern age' is only a drop of time. There is no real reason why the current system of anything we currently do, from economics, to technology, to political systems, and the expectations we have from those to continue unchanged.

the only thing which is certain is that things change.. not always for the better.
  • Options

taffys said:

?????????

Sorry, I should gave said internal conflicts - revolutions, civil wars, coups etc.

Like the Irish War of Independence?
  • Options

However it is costly. As an example: the $1 billion IFMIF plant is being built to investigate materials that might be able to be used in a nuclear fusion reactor. Not to build a reactor: just to develop the required materials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fusion_Materials_Irradiation_Facility

/

From your link IFMIF looks rather undeveloped and I can't even see where it is meant to be located. Is there any likelihood of it actually happening?

Also in the link they were talking about radiation damage levels of 100dpa. We're not far off that in some of the very long life components in current fission LWRs, so at the rate fusion research is going, their fission cousins may have already found the necessary materials.
  • Options
    Surely in looking at what is going to work in europe we need to do no more than look at what does work in europe, namely the German economy. They have consistently delivered to their citizens trade surpluses, increasing standards of living, low unemployment and low inflation.

What are they doing right?

Well their education system is clearly a lot better than ours both at school level and in work. Curiously our elite universities is something they cannot match but that only helps a very small percentage of the population, not enough to affect overall economic performance.

Their financial system is not geared to casino like gains but long term investment. This can clearly be overdone but we are at the wrong point in the specturm.

They invest in high tech where their skills, quantity of investment and long term approach are maximised to give them a competitive advantage. We manage this in some small segments (cars, aerospace, defence, pharma) but not overall.

Curiously they have what looks like a backward retail system by our standards but it clearly creates more jobs.

Fundamentally, they run almost puritanical monetary systems resisiting inflation, coping with rather than moaning about currency appreciation and keeping their wages in check in the good times. Add that to the euro and the effects have been dramatic and admirable.

Not all of these lessons are directly applicable. We have different strengths. We have more imagination and creativity built on a more liberal arts education. But only a fool would think that there are not important lessons to learn, both for us and most of the rest of europe.
  • Options

corporeal said:

taffys said:

700 years is pushing the example beyond breaking point, you're probably right thinking about it longer...

but certainly when you consider only 60-70 years since WW2, that period of time which we consider to be the 'modern age' is only a drop of time. There is no real reason why the current system of anything we currently do, from economics, to technology, to political systems, and the expectations we have from those to continue unchanged.

the only thing which is certain is that things change.. not always for the better.
    My grandparents said a similar thing. When they were children they remember drawing water from a well, now I can go on my phone and zoom in on a satelite picture of their old house.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Far more seriously, of course, are Australia going to give us a decent game this year? Their batting is looking very ordinary again today.

2005 this is not going to be. Looking forward to Durham though.

JonathanD said:

The sheer stability of Labour's score since 2010 is worth a thread in itself.
  • Options

taffys said:

?????????

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant internal conflicts - revolutions, civil wars, coups etc.

That's more to do with a) geography as an island nation, and b) we got our civil wars and blood letting out of the way slightly earlier. The English civil war was very bloody, and I'm sure some of those guys in Ireland might have a different view of us...
  • Options
    carl said:

Plato said:

That and the fact her party promised to address the deficit and they've failed miserably.
  • Options
    The really worrying future scenario is when future armies are entirely built around drones and robotics rather than manpower. In such a situation, a tiny number of the very wealthy could potentially defeat states of millions. I know it sounds like some science-fiction extreme situation, but it's not unforeseeable.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

@TGOHF

You're in denial about rents and house prices

The 2000 - 2008 bubble : people borrowed too much money.

The 2010- 2013 fictional bubble : people not borrowing more money.

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    tim said:

Looks like Osborne's entire headline govt debt figures went out of the window.

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 5m
    UK Statistics Authority tells off ONS for treating the Treasury’s raid on the Bank of England as = to tax revenues. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/71ed8b60-d352-11e2-95d4-00144feab7de.html

George Osborne’s attempt to flatter the official headline measures of the public finances came unstuck on Wednesday after the UK Statistics Authority reprimanded the Office for National Statistics for treating the Treasury’s raid on the Bank of England as equivalent to tax revenues.
    Upholding a complaint from the Financial Times about the ONS decision, the statistics watchdog called for a review of the headline measures of public borrowing and debt.

The decision will stop the chancellor from claiming borrowing is lower merely because funds have been moved from one part of the public sector to another, and demonstrates that the UKSA is willing to criticise the statistical work of its own government department as well as ministers.
    In November, Mr Osborne announced he would repatriate to the Treasury the funds building up under the quantitative easing scheme in the Bank of England arising from interest payments on the debt owned by the bank.
    The Treasury hoped this raid would improve headline figures of government borrowing, helping Mr Osborne to meet his fiscal rules and say borrowing was falling, despite the weak economy.
    Initially the ONS agreed with the Treasury’s arguments, but this has now been overturned by the UKSA, which said the counter arguments made by the FT were “more persuasive”.
    UKSA also criticised the process of classification of public finances, in which government statisticians outnumber and can outvote those from the ONS, saying: “We see no strong case to support the current composition and voting arrangements”.
    In the decision, UKSA criticised the ONS for introducing irrelevant arguments and “selective” interpretation of its guidance to support its case that public sector net borrowing excluding financial transactions should be affected by the Treasury’s raid on the QE proceeds.

Bang goes Avery's "deficit reducing by £30bn a year" prop.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The really worrying future scenario is when future armies are entirely built around drones and robotics rather than manpower. In such a situation, a tiny number of the very wealthy could potentially defeat states of millions. I know it sounds like some science-fiction extreme situation, but it's not unforeseeable.

Pretty much already happening for the US... drone strikes are already a away of life.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Perhaps you dewey eyed Marxists should head for Cyprus - they solved the problem of the wealthy by stealing their money."

Ahem. That happened immediately AFTER a Marxist president was replaced by a conservative president. Bloody Tories and their politics of envy, eh?
  • Options
    @DavidL

Clearly the Germans do a lot right, but they are also benefitting hugely from the nature of the Euro massively undervaluing their currency, and money flooding in as it flees the rest of the zone.

Plus inequality is increasing there. They have more jobs, but a lot of the new jobs are of poorer quality.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

I'm not so sure. The very rich in medieval times and the Ancient World went out of their way to flaunt their wealth, and power. Paradoxically, many of the poor would think badly of rich people who didn't do so.

• Options
    BenM said:

tim said:

UK Statistics Authority tells off ONS for treating the Treasury’s raid on the Bank of England as = to tax revenues. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/71ed8b60-d352-11e2-95d4-00144feab7de.html

George Osborne’s attempt to flatter the official headline measures of the public finances came unstuck on Wednesday after the UK Statistics Authority reprimanded the Office for National Statistics for treating the Treasury’s raid on the Bank of England as equivalent to tax revenues.
    Upholding a complaint from the Financial Times about the ONS decision, the statistics watchdog called for a review of the headline measures of public borrowing and debt.

The decision will stop the chancellor from claiming borrowing is lower merely because funds have been moved from one part of the public sector to another, and demonstrates that the UKSA is willing to criticise the statistical work of its own government department as well as ministers.
    In November, Mr Osborne announced he would repatriate to the Treasury the funds building up under the quantitative easing scheme in the Bank of England arising from interest payments on the debt owned by the bank.
    The Treasury hoped this raid would improve headline figures of government borrowing, helping Mr Osborne to meet his fiscal rules and say borrowing was falling, despite the weak economy.
    Initially the ONS agreed with the Treasury’s arguments, but this has now been overturned by the UKSA, which said the counter arguments made by the FT were “more persuasive”.
    UKSA also criticised the process of classification of public finances, in which government statisticians outnumber and can outvote those from the ONS, saying: “We see no strong case to support the current composition and voting arrangements”.
    In the decision, UKSA criticised the ONS for introducing irrelevant arguments and “selective” interpretation of its guidance to support its case that public sector net borrowing excluding financial transactions should be affected by the Treasury’s raid on the QE proceeds.

A third-rate three-card-trick by the increasingly laughable Ozzy that was never ging to get past the watchdog. Hilariously inept.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

BenM said:

tim said:

A third-rate three-card-trick by the increasingly laughable Ozzy that was never going to get past the watchdog. Hilariously inept.

• Options

"Perhaps you dewey eyed Marxists should head for Cyprus - they solved the problem of the wealthy by stealing their money."

Ahem. That happened immediately AFTER a Marxist president was replaced by a conservative president. Bloody Tories and their politics of envy, eh?

Oh dear - someone who thinks anyone in Cyprus decided the fate of that money.

As someone pushing for a separate Scotland to be part of the EU, using the Euro - you really need to pay attention.
This discussion has been closed.