Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Re: Cards and paper programming etc

I have an IBM 129 card removal tool from my operator days in 1978.

My dad used Winchester drives back in the early 80s - when the discs wore out, my mum hung them on the walls as a bit of *modern* art... they were all silver-ferrous/scored and looked as big as an LP. IIRC they were £30k each back then and the size of a fridge.

Technology has certainly moved on a tad... I kept finding papertape in our house for yrs after it became laughably obsolete.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Crikey - lots of betting, esp the ggs

The figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act, list the most visited websites for the 5,000 Parliamentary computers.

In March last year there were more than 83,000 visits to Betfair’s horseracing form guide, and 5,461 to a Betfair sports betting site.
    Facebook was the most popular website by far and received more than three million visits some months

Facebook was the most popular website by far and received more than three million visits some months

There were 4,665 visits to rival Paddy Power, 3,803 to Ladbrokes and 4,126 to news site attheraces.com.

Fantasy game Fairyland saw up to 25,000 visits a month, while World of Solitaire had up to 10,000 visits a month.

Some MPs appear to visit their own websites repeatedly, with Tory backbencher Christopher Pincher’s site getting 23,000 visits in September, fellow Tory Rebecca Harris having almost 8,000 in a month, and Lib Dem MP John Hemming 9,000.

But most popular by far was social network Facebook, with more than three million visits in some months.

As Parliament normally sits for four days a week when not in recess, this equates to 35 visits per working day from every computer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2339955/How-MPs-racked-3m-Facebook-hits-Figures-waste-thousands-hours-social-networks-betting-sites.html#ixzz2VyrwjUSS
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    "It is not difficult then to see why Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon’s “expert working group” should think it a great idea to maintain the status quo. But it is very difficult to imagine why the state we had just walked out of would allow its benefit system to be run from a foreign country. Will they not need jobs in Newcastle and Corby, rather than in Dundee and Motherwell?"

http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-wilson-snp-con-can-t-mask-pensions-reality-1-2962347
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @tim

Bit early in the morning to be so full of dramatic hyperbole, you should be a script writer for one of the soaps.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,819
    At yooni, I used a 110-baud teletype for programming. It was great, you got your hard copy of your code for free.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Wakey wakey young Smithson !!

He saunters off for a two week jolly at some Italian hair clinic, comes back like some aged Shane Warne lookalike and what do we get ??? - Nighthawks mid morning !!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Sun_Politics: Order order...on eBay (and then pick up from Speaker's wife Sally Bercow at Houses of Parliament) http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4964973/Order-Order-On-Ebay-and-pick-it-up-from-the-Speakers-wife-at-Parliament.html
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Plato said:

Crikey - lots of betting, esp the ggs

The figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act, list the most visited websites for the 5,000 Parliamentary computers.

In March last year there were more than 83,000 visits to Betfair’s horseracing form guide, and 5,461 to a Betfair sports betting site.

There were 4,665 visits to rival Paddy Power, 3,803 to Ladbrokes and 4,126 to news site attheraces.com.

Fantasy game Fairyland saw up to 25,000 visits a month, while World of Solitaire had up to 10,000 visits a month.

Some MPs appear to visit their own websites repeatedly, with Tory backbencher Christopher Pincher’s site getting 23,000 visits in September, fellow Tory Rebecca Harris having almost 8,000 in a month, and Lib Dem MP John Hemming 9,000.

But most popular by far was social network Facebook, with more than three million visits in some months.

As Parliament normally sits for four days a week when not in recess, this equates to 35 visits per working day from every computer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2339955/How-MPs-racked-3m-Facebook-hits-Figures-waste-thousands-hours-social-networks-betting-sites.html#ixzz2VyrwjUSS
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Very little betting, if you compare the numbers with those for Facebook, and/or divide by 100,000 to get visits per working day (which implies 5,000-ish computers). Even then, we do not know if the figures are inflated by (probably automatic) refreshes and redirects.

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    new thread
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. P, be fair. After the Speaker stated Romanians were much nicer than horrid British people his wife had to do *something* to regain the title of Most Obnoxious Bercow.

In other news Microsoft decides it hasn't insulted enough those without internet connections or who have other issues with the Xbone (previous efforts include the job-endingly bad tweet "Deal with it" and "Backwards compatibility is really backwards"). Today's quotes:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360," he said.

'Hey, I'm on a nuclear sub.' I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I've got to imagine that it's not easy to get an internet connection," he continued. "I can empathize, if I was on a sub I'd be disappointed."

--

It's worth pointing out that even huge swathes of America has either no broadband or patchy broadband, and the same applies to Europe. And the console doesn't work if it loses an internet connection for 24 hours [assuming everything's always ok at Microsoft's end]. *sighs*
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. P, be fair. After the Speaker stated Romanians were much nicer than horrid British people his wife had to do *something* to regain the title of Most Obnoxious Bercow.

In other news Microsoft decides it hasn't insulted enough those without internet connections or who have other issues with the Xbone (previous efforts include the job-endingly bad tweet "Deal with it" and "Backwards compatibility is really backwards"). Today's quotes:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360," he said.

'Hey, I'm on a nuclear sub.' I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I've got to imagine that it's not easy to get an internet connection," he continued. "I can empathize, if I was on a sub I'd be disappointed."

--

It's worth pointing out that even huge swathes of America has either no broadband or patchy broadband, and the same applies to Europe. And the console doesn't work if it loses an internet connection for 24 hours [assuming everything's always ok at Microsoft's end]. *sighs*

That's why the market's great. We're going to have three major consoles, each offering a different experience for the user. The consumer has choice and wins.

Let the battle commence!

I'm not a console guy, but if I was I wouldn't touch the MS box with a barge pole. Not because I am anti MS; I'm actually a fan of theirs. It's just that I don't trust them after all the hardware problems they had with the xBox 360.
This discussion has been closed.