Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s 160+ seat polls are already making it a ve

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s 160+ seat polls are already making it a very different election and could impact on results

One of the many unique features of May 7th is the polling. We’ve never had so much and we’ve never seen so many studies of individual battlegrounds. Lord Ashcroft alone has produced more than 160 of them and there is hardly a key seat where we haven’t got any information.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    is anybody there?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Has Jacks ARSE broken the internet?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Is the site working now?

Who said there is increased talk among Scottish unionists about anti-SNP voting? There may be talk among half a dozen London based, Scots born journalists but that's it!

In Scotland, the Scots Tories have launched full scale campaigns right across the country including in many so called no hope seats. Evidence the squads of Young Tories out leafleting today in various Glasgow seats, in SNP and LibDem held seats, in Edinburgh and of course across the Borders where the Ashcroft polls have shown this week the Tory vote is holding up well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    I think Vanilla broke at some point last night. They fixed it, fortunately.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Easterross, the idea of a Con-Lab Grand Coalition seems unlikely to me. That said, it'd give the reds a lovely excuse to throw Miliband overboard.
  • Options
    In Thanet South the Conservatives are using the Ashcroft polling to galvanise party supporters to help in the election campaign.
    Polling (Ashcroft??) apparently shows Charlie Elphicke is reckoned to be safe in Dover / Deal and so resources are going from there into Thanet S.
  • Options
    Morris it is a bonkers idea from an old man who should stick to reading his books and walking his dogs. Ken Baker was a charming man in his younger days but he has clearly lost the plot. The best thing DC can do is run a minority government (assuming he beats Miliband convincingly in England) and ignore FM Nippy Sweetie to stew in her own gizzards.

I have been transposing the Ashcroft seat polls on to the wonderful Andy JS marginal seat spreadsheet. Pudsey at Tory target 22 is where the Labour success starts to break down and it is noticeable how small the Ashcroft Labour lead was in many seats when he polled them last year.
  • Options
    Calling Jack W, get Mrs Jack off to the shoe shops and get your ARSE in gear!!
  • Options
    Thanet S -
    My gut feel from canvassing is that Farage will be close but not quite there.

But it is close.

The fact that Mackginlay (con) is ex -UKIP is helping to shore up the vote in strong UKIP leaning areas such as Sandwich.

The problem for Farage might be that he will have to spend a lot of time campaigning Nationally and so his actual time in the Constituency will be therefore limited.

It is a straight Blue /Purple fight. The question is will the Labour vote split to "stop the Tory or stop Farage"
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    rcs1000 said:

I think Vanilla broke at some point last night. They fixed it, fortunately.

Morning all.

Thanks for that Robert – not been able to get vanilla comments up all morning – also yesterday was touch and go.
  • Options
    Republican Tory, I am not surprised. What I am hearing is that local constituency associations/candidates/MPs are using Ashcroft to galvanise the local support and appeal directly to waverers/former Tory voters to "come home".

In Aberdeenshire West it is looking like Tory v SNP and Alexander Burnett the local born and bred Tory candidate is getting loads of support from the Aberdeen Universities CF groups as well as a very well established Constituency Association. Across the Borders, David Mundell and Fin Carson can point to Ashcroft showing Mundell just hanging on and Fin Carson now the main opposition to the SNP in D+G with only 4% in it. Would be fascinating to try and work out what is happening in Michael Moore's seat.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Republican Tory, I am not surprised. What I am hearing is that local constituency associations/candidates/MPs are using Ashcroft to galvanise the local support and appeal directly to waverers/former Tory voters to "come home".

In Aberdeenshire West it is looking like Tory v SNP and Alexander Burnett the local born and bred Tory candidate is getting loads of support from the Aberdeen Universities CF groups as well as a very well established Constituency Association. Across the Borders, David Mundell and Fin Carson can point to Ashcroft showing Mundell just hanging on and Fin Carson now the main opposition to the SNP in D+G with only 4% in it. Would be fascinating to try and work out what is happening in Michael Moore's seat.

I think it was a real shame that Dumfries and Galloway was polled and not the borders.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Ha, nothing like sending off an e-mail, only to realise it included a mistake [which makes one look like an utter moron], necessitating two further e-mails explaining that one is not an idiot, merely a clever man doing an incredibly good impression.

[It's not serious. I'm just annoyed with myself].
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2015
    Sky reports Berwick-upon-Tweed MP, Alan Beith, is retiring after 42 years – Old news to PB?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SLAB want to have a Clause 4 moment. Ah.

http://labourlist.org/2015/01/scottish-labour-partys-new-proposed-clause-iv-full-text/

"To these ends we work for the patriotic interest of the people of Scotland:"

What was it Dr Johnson said of patriotism
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Per the article:

"In Scotland there’s increasing talk of pro-unionist tactical voting and you can bet that the parties seen to be best placed to stop the SNP will go to great lengths to highlight Ashcroft numbers to demonstrate their case. "

Mundell is in deep trouble now after the Ashcroft poll showing him neck and neck with the SNP. I expect more anti-Tory voting for the SNP than anti-SNP voting for the Tories.

Interestingly that does not necessarily mean that the Tories will be completely wiped out in Scotland, though it probably does. I remember that in 2005 GE they lost there only seat but replaced it with Mundell.
  • Options

Sky reports Berwick-upon-Tweed MP, Alan Beith, is retiring after 42 years – Old news to PB?

Yes, I feel sure we knew this yonks ago .... quite a stint though, 42 years and must make the seat more vulnerable than it already was.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Waiting for a look at Jack's ARSE on a Saturday morning.

What has my life come to...
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!

(Or at least I would have been, if Vanilla hadn't been broken when I witnessed this thread being posted early this morning).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

The problem for Farage might be that he will have to spend a lot of time campaigning Nationally and so his actual time in the Constituency will be therefore limited.

It is a straight Blue /Purple fight. The question is will the Labour vote split to "stop the Tory or stop Farage"

Of course, the flip side to that is that Farage will be on the TV a lot during the election and his constituency opponents won't be. But it will be interesting to see how he balances it.

It will also be interesting to see if either Cameron or Miliband visit South Thanet - or the general area - during the campaign. If they don't, then Farage can point out that they don't care about the people in that part of England.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,925
    JPJ2 said:

Per the article:

"In Scotland there’s increasing talk of pro-unionist tactical voting and you can bet that the parties seen to be best placed to stop the SNP will go to great lengths to highlight Ashcroft numbers to demonstrate their case. "

Mundell is in deep trouble now after the Ashcroft poll showing him neck and neck with the SNP. I expect more anti-Tory voting for the SNP than anti-SNP voting for the Tories.

Interestingly that does not necessarily mean that the Tories will be completely wiped out in Scotland, though it probably does. I remember that in 2005 GE they lost there only seat but replaced it with Mundell.

Of course, the traditional Scottish GE voting pattern was one that included a great deal of anti-Tory tactical voting from which Labour benefited, to the extent that there were no Tory MPs at one fairly recent point IIRC.

Indeed, the Ashcroft polling shows that the SNP are plainly breaking through the plausibility barrier, and a vote for the SNP is much less likely to be seen as risking being wasted. So the UKGE voting pattern is shifting far more to the underlying one which is seen at Holyrood.

Neither is a particularly original observation but they do need to be remembered in the current discussion, as indeed you imply.

There is also the question of the ethics and morality of the Unionist parties refighting a general election as if it were indyref, at the same time as trying to claim that Scottish MPs should not be allowed to have their full role in the Parliament of the UK. That sort of thinking will destroy the UK very rapidly without the pro-independence side having to do anything more than spectate while sitting happily on their thumbs.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458
    GIN1138 said:

Waiting for a look at this fortnight's TNS poll... so I can update my ELBOW...
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Per the article:

One oher interesting point picked up on a comment on Scotgoespop is that there were only 3 2010 Tories in Lord A's survey out of a thousand or so surveyed (I imagine) who were willing to vote Labour in Jim Murphy's seat of East Renfrewshire. 0.3% or so is not much of a tactical voting shift.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    What ACTUAL evidence is there of people voting for Party B to keep Party A out.
    Has it been measured>?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071

Has it been measured>?

I can give you 54 seats of evidence, going to 12.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Has it been measured>?

The marked dissonance between Westminster and Holyrood voting intentions, perhaps.

Edit: until recently, of course.

• Options
    I hope people didn't miss my Ashcroft based analysis last night.

The take away message is pile on SNP, there are still plenty of value bets.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015
    Given that the Good Lord is, as far as I can see, based on previous form, a clearblue Tory with no great love for the Libdems, I doub't he is doing it entirely for the fun of it (although it is obviously something that greatly interests him) and I would suggest if any party benefits it will be the Tories.

Certainly he has made us aware that decapitation of the Liberals possible and showed Tory's in Tory/Lib marginals in clear detail what they have to do to overthrow the liberal.

It has to be remembered what the keys to a Tory majority are.

1) Don't waste too much effort trying to win extra seats off Labour

1) Hold their existing Tory held Tory/Labour Marginals (although places like Bolton West and Southampton Itchen are worth a crack at, espeically if UKIP take a good chunk of the WWC vote)

2) Take the Tory/Liberal Marginals. As many as possible of the Thirty Lib/Tory marginals with a Lib majority of up to 7,647 (Lewes)

It must not be forgotten that in 2010, if the Tories had won those 30 Tory/Libdem marginals, just about all of which were Tory seats before 1992, they would have won 336 seats and had a workable majority of 22 or 27 including Sinn Fein abstensions.

Thought for the day. Did Cameron and Gideon agree to the Scottish referendum, precisely because one effect of it might well be to electorally destroy Labour north of the border?

• Options

Given that the Good Lord is, based on previous form, a clearblue Tory with no great love for the Libdems, I doub't he is doing it entirely for the fun of it (although it is obviously something that greatly interests him) and I would suggest if any party benefits it will be the Tories.

Certainly he has made decapitation of the Liberals possible and showed Tory's in Tory/Lib marginals in clear detail what they have to do to overthrow the liberal.

1) Hold their existing Tory held Tory/Labour Marginals (although places like Bolton West and Southampton Itchen are worth a crack at, espeically if UKIP take a good chunk of the WWC vote)

2) Take the Tory/Liberal Marginals. As many as possible of the Thirty Lib/Tory marginals with a Lib majority of up to 7,647 (Lewes)

It must not be forgotten that in 2010, if the Tories had won those 30 Tory/Libdem marginals, just about all of which were Tory seats before 1992, they would have won 336 seats and had a workable majority of 22 or 27 including Sinn Fein abstensions.

Thought for the day. Did Cameron and Gideon agree to the Scottish referendum, precisely because one effect of it might well be to electorally destroy Labour north of the border?

The Good Lord may be a Tory, but he is clearly VERY bitter with Cameron and Osborne for wasting his money on the 2010 election shambles...

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

GIN1138 said:

I'm not sure when TNS is coming out. Should have been the past week

• Options
    edited March 2015

GIN1138 said:

Maybe one of the Sunday papers will be picking it up? Elections are the best times for pollsters to find paying customers for their political polls.

I think TNS first started doing general election polls, in collaboration with The People? Back during the 2010 campaign?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Given that the Good Lord is, as far as I can see, based on previous form, a clearblue Tory with no great love for the Libdems, I doub't he is doing it entirely for the fun of it (although it is obviously something that greatly interests him) and I would suggest if any party benefits it will be the Tories.

Certainly he has made us aware that decapitation of the Liberals possible and showed Tory's in Tory/Lib marginals in clear detail what they have to do to overthrow the liberal.

I think you'll find making it up as they go along is more Cameron and Osborne's style
  • Options

Given that the Good Lord is, based on previous form, a clearblue Tory with no great love for the Libdems, I doub't he is doing it entirely for the fun of it (although it is obviously something that greatly interests him) and I would suggest if any party benefits it will be the Tories.

Certainly he has made decapitation of the Liberals possible and showed Tory's in Tory/Lib marginals in clear detail what they have to do to overthrow the liberal.

Last question: wouldn't surprise me at all - as would their conduct of the referendum, using Labour as the front persons/penal battalions.

It was pretty obvious right from the start that Labour would be so badly damaged that this would be a very nice consolation prize for the SNP. Though there has also been serious damage to other British national institutions - for instance the BBC is now more distrusted than trusted in Scotland.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Has it been measured>?

Electoral Calculus analysed the 2005 election result and suggested that tactical voting had affected the result in 26 seats.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlabgap.html#tactical
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    BBC star Jeremy Vine made his ten-year-old daughter a company director to help lower his tax bill by channelling funds through private firm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983593/Jeremy-Vine-daughter-10-company-director-lower-tax-bill.html

I wonder what Ed thinks about this kind of tax avoidance?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2015

Question for the day: are you merely discourteous, or do you have another reason for wishing to continually draw attention to George Osborne's (inaccurately) alleged Jewish heritage?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,088
    Carnyx said:

JPJ2 said:

Per the article:

Of course, the traditional Scottish GE voting pattern was one that included a great deal of anti-Tory tactical voting from which Labour benefited, to the extent that there were no Tory MPs at one fairly recent point IIRC.

Indeed, the Ashcroft polling shows that the SNP are plainly breaking through the plausibility barrier, and a vote for the SNP is much less likely to be seen as risking being wasted. So the UKGE voting pattern is shifting far more to the underlying one which is seen at Holyrood.

Neither is a particularly original observation but they do need to be remembered in the current discussion, as indeed you imply.

There is also the question of the ethics and morality of the Unionist parties refighting a general election as if it were indyref, at the same time as trying to claim that Scottish MPs should not be allowed to have their full role in the Parliament of the UK. That sort of thinking will destroy the UK very rapidly without the pro-independence side having to do anything more than spectate while sitting happily on their thumbs.

Tories = Dodo's and Labour = Dinosaur's, both will soon be extinct instead of just one of them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Given that the Good Lord is, based on previous form, a clearblue Tory with no great love for the Libdems, I doub't he is doing it entirely for the fun of it (although it , precisely because one effect of it might well be to electorally destroy Labour north of the border?

Last question: wouldn't surprise me at all - as would their conduct of the referendum, using Labour as the front persons/penal battalions.

It was pretty obvious right from the start that Labour would be so badly damaged that this would be a very nice consolation prize for the SNP. Though there has also been serious damage to other British national institutions - for instance the BBC is now more distrusted than trusted in Scotland.

the BBC is now more distrusted than trusted in Scotland.

first sign of Scotland going Tory.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2015

BBC star Jeremy Vine made his ten-year-old daughter a company director to help lower his tax bill by channelling funds through private firm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983593/Jeremy-Vine-daughter-10-company-director-lower-tax-bill.html

Companies House might be interested to hear that

Companies Act (2006) s.157(1) : "A person may not be appointed a director of a company unless he has attained the age of 16 years."
  • Options
    edited March 2015

She's a shareholder, not a director. Serious fail by the Mail

(because, I suspect you can't be a director of a company below the age of 16 or 18)

edit: indigo beat me too it. And with facts as well. Bah!
  • Options
    Still no Jack W's ARSE? Is he sulking or has Mrs Jack dragged him out shopping?

Interesting tweet a few minutes ago. Zac Goldsmith predicting Vince Cable and Twickenham could be the Michael Portillo moment of GE2015
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Has it been measured>?

Very happy to provide very direct evidence in a future thread.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Off-topic:

Solar power plant FRYS BIRDS IN FLIGHT! OMG!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2965070/Solar-farm-sets-130-birds-FIRE-Extreme-glow-power-plant-ignites-creatures-mid-air-tests.html

(I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by this)
  • Options
    Tactical voting would Cons and Kippers vote LD keep to keep Labour or Greens out.

In some ways didn't it become a euphemism for ABC voting - anyone but Conservatives?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

She's a shareholder, not a director. Serious fail by the Mail

(because, I suspect you can't be a director of a company below the age of 16 or 18)

edit: indigo beat me too it. And with facts as well. Bah!
    It is the headline writer that should be shot...the rest of the article clearly states shareholder.

My point was more I wonder if in Ed Miliband's book this is ok, could be ok, definitely not ok? And of course the BBC massive hypocrisy over out cry of other people taking "vanilla" steps to reduce their tax bills, while most of the "stars" who work at the BBC have had these setups.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458

GIN1138 said:

The last two had fieldwork end-dates 16th Feb and 2nd Feb. I seem to have added the 16th Feb poll to Wikipedia on the 18th.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Indigo said:

Companies Act (2006) s.157(1) : "A person may not be appointed a director of a company unless he has attained the age of 16 years."
    I assume 'he' is legalese for 'they'
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Given that the Good Lord is, based on previous form, a clearblue Tory with no great love for the Libdems, I doub't he is doing it entirely for the fun of it (although it , precisely because one effect of it might well be to electorally destroy Labour north of the border?

That's certainly one interpretation!

By the way, have you had a look at the online National? It'll be a lot more accessible to you now (seriously).

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Disallow shareholdings for under 18s to count for tax purposes in the accounts imo.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    RobD said:

Indigo said:

It's singular. "A person"... "he" or "she", not "they". Traditionally the masculine is used when you refer to people in general, I guess in legalese this is still used.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,280
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

Question for the day: are you merely discourteous, or do you have another reason for wishing to continually draw attention to George Osborne's (inaccurately) alleged Jewish heritage?
    I wasn't aware there was any movement to ascribe Jewish heritage to G.Osborne, but why would Gideon suggest it any more than any other Old Testament name e.g. Adam, Seth, Jonathan etc?

The only Gideon I've known was posh-ish Anglo Welsh.

Edit: ha, looked up Gideon on Wiki - 'he that bruises or breaks; a destroyer'.
  • Options
    It wpuld be interesting to see a then and now of ladbrokes constituency odds on polling day from 2010 compared to today.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    There is potential to vote strategically as well.GE2015 is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see off the LDS for good by taking out the leadership.Alexander is running around a headless chicken and a concerted effort to rally round the Labour candidates in Bermondsey and Sheffield Hallam and Tory candidates in Yeovil and Norfolk North can achieve this aim.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    http://m.spiegel.de/international/world/a-1022193.html#spRedirectedFrom=www&referrrer=

Der Spiegel going after NATO for their repeatedly false statements on the Ukraine. Shame Cameron and the media continue to take their orders from Washington rather than putting this country's interests first.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015

In Thanet South the Conservatives are using the Ashcroft polling to galvanise party supporters to help in the election campaign.
    Polling (Ashcroft??) apparently shows Charlie Elphicke is reckoned to be safe in Dover / Deal and so resources are going from there into Thanet S.

Any Tory in East Kent who thinks they are 'safe' this far out from election day deserves to lose their seat!

PS UKIP activists from all over East Kent are turning out for Farage so if that isn't happening for the Tories too then clearly they have other seats in trouble (or just as likely their local associations are moribund)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

What the hell are you on about? Osborne is not Jewish and I rather doubt he is as thin skinned as you seem to be about his name. If he is then Im surprised he has got so far as he has in public life.

Would you prefer me to refer to him as Gidiot which is what most people I know refer to him as?

If you must know people I know refer to him as Gideon or -ot as a reference to class and perceived upper elite out of touchness with the reality of most peoples lives. Its nor exactly a common name in council estates and comprehensive schools is it?

Nonetheless, probably better to be known as Gideon than Dwayne Dibbley as our poor old opposition was dubbed in the Tory press years ago. In any case, if Wikipedia is to believed he is still actually called Gideon, he added the name George not replaced

• Options

RobD said:

Indigo said:

It's singular. "A person"... "he" or "she", not "they". Traditionally the masculine is used when you refer to people in general, I guess in legalese this is still used.

Can't 'they' also be singular? Time for me to go back to school, I think!
  • Options

Off-topic:

Solar power plant FRYS BIRDS IN FLIGHT! OMG!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2965070/Solar-farm-sets-130-birds-FIRE-Extreme-glow-power-plant-ignites-creatures-mid-air-tests.html

(I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by this)

You can see that thing for miles when flying past it.. so damn bright!
  • Options

Charles said:

What the hell are you on about? Osborne is not Jewish and I rather doubt he is as thin skinned as you seem to be about his name. If he is then Im surprised he has got so far as he has in public life.

Would you prefer me to refer to him as Gidiot which is what most people I know refer to him as?

If you must know people I know refer to him as Gideon or -ot as a reference to class and perceived upper elite out of touchness with the reality of most peoples lives. Its nor exactly a common name in council estates and comprehensive schools is it?

Nonetheless, probably better to be known as Gideon than Dwayne Dibbley as our poor old opposition was dubbed in the Tory press years ago. In any case, if Wikipedia is to believed he is still actually called Gideon, he added the name George not replaced

It's common courtesy to call someone what they want to be called (i.e. for me it could be either Robert/Rob/Bob...). That, or call him by his official title and style "Master Strategist, and most popular heir-to-a-baronetcy in the realm" ;)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited March 2015
    The people of england must be pretty disengaged with politics if the spectre of a labour/SNP government at Westminster holds no fears for them.

That government will tear England. and itself, to shreds
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    RobD said:

Charles said:

It's common courtesy to call someone what they want to be called (i.e. for me it could be either Robert/Rob/Bob...). That, or call him by his official title and style "Master Strategist, and most popular heir-to-a-baronetcy in the realm" ;)
    Agreed.

Although my dad had an old saying: "I don't care what you call me, as long as you don't call me late for dinner." ;-)

(I'm probably unusual in that I go by two names. It's traditional in our family to call the boys by their second names. But I hate that name, so when I went to uni I got to be called by my first name. It got slightly confusing for people when the two worlds collided)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Who runs the Labour party?

@paulhutcheon: Breaking: @unitetheunion is opposing Jim Murphy's proposed changes to the @scottishlabour constitution
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    #scotlab15 completely hijacked on twitter.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Charles said:

Can we call him Fartrage then ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

The real Prime Minister would be nearer the mark!

As for common courtesy, its common courtesy - unless you are a statist or socialist - not to shaft stay at home mothers with the tax system while throwing taxpayers money at subsidies for Day Orphanages who of course just up their fees in response because you cannot buck the market.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

By the way, have you had a look at the online National? It'll be a lot more accessible to you now (seriously).

Haven't read the National for a while Mr C. If it's had a revamp I'll give it another look.
  • Options
    It's a blog about PB with some mentions of Scottish independence ;)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    The Nottingham Post gets a briefing from Ladbrokes (but where's Mike's book in the pile?):

http://www.nottinghampost.com/close-time/story-26131283-detail/story.html
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    taffys said:

The people of england must be pretty disengaged with politics if the spectre of a labour/SNP government at Westminster holds no fears for them.

That government will tear England. and itself, to shreds

Hyperbole, much?
  • Options

Charles said:

So it's just discourtesy then. Thank goodness for small mercies.

In my view, if someone explicitly decides that he wants to be called X rather than Y then it's only polite to use his given name
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Due to technical problems at Smithson Towers involving the spillage of an experimental hair restorative tonic down the workings of the steam powered internet thingy, the publication of my ARSE has been deferred until 11:30am.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    edited March 2015

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Haven't read the National for a while Mr C. If it's had a revamp I'll give it another look.
    You're in for a treat! Comical (who ate all the pies?) James, LOTP, has an article suggesting SNP support is understated.....
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hmmm @Pulpstar I have modified my basic YES=SNP model to more accuratly reflect national polls and it actually turns Orkney and Shetland into a SNP gain

LD: 4544
    SNP: 8173

This assumes a universal swing against the LD putting them on 6.76% nationally.

The reality check is that assuming the Conservatives get 16% nationally then the SNP lose Banff & Buchan.

Best result from the model is Dumfries & Galloway:

Con: 16042
    Lab: 16582
    SNP: 16538

EDIT: At 14% Conservative then SNP retain Banff & Buchan.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Scottish Labour conference is bizarre.

They have Kezia Dugdale and Jim Murphy with two "members of the public" interviewing them and more often than not they don't get the answers they want/expect.

For example, Kezia "and what about zero hours contracts and low wages, how does that effect you". Bloke "it doesn't, not at all".
  • Options
    JackW said:

Due to technical problems at Smithson Towers involving the spillage of an experimental hair restorative tonic down the workings of the steam powered internet thingy, the publication of my ARSE has been deferred until 11:30am.

Tut!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Hope the damage wasn't too extensive. Didn't want to mention it earlier, but I did see a big crack forming....... titters

My coat, please!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You're in for a treat! Comical (who ate all the pies?) James, LOTP, has an article suggesting SNP support is understated.....
    There's nothing wrong with that as a theory. It's quite plausible.
  • Options
    Dair said:

For example, Kezia "and what about zero hours contracts and low wages, how does that effect you". Bloke "it doesn't, not at all".

Well, at least they're not plants!

They aren't holding it in a brewery are they?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Am on Lewis Baker to score anytime for the MK Dons at 9/2 with bet365
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Well, at least they're not plants!

They aren't holding it in a brewery are they?
    Why, actually, it's the EICC which is built on the site of the former S&N Brewery - allowed to be closed down under BLiar.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Dare I suggest some more BRAN may get your ARSE moving?

BRAN = British Regular Adjustment Nexus
  • Options
    BANG!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

The practice of asking two separate voting intention questions, with only the results of the second being used for the headline results, has been criticised in some quarters.

http://www.thenational.scot/politics/poll-analysis-methodology-may-even-mean-scotlands-ruling-party-is-being-underestimated.796

Classic use of nominalisation.

Which 'quarters' are they James?

'Daily Mail readers'?

His comment on past vote weighting is fair - but since he's (almost) never seen a bad poll for the SNP, I fear he takes his mission to 'correct the inbuilt Unionist bias in the media' beyond the bounds of reasonable analysis.

He's an articulate cheer leader for the Nationalists - and nothing wrong with that.

But he's no Anthony Wells nor Professor Curtice.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Am on Lewis Baker to score anytime for the MK Dons at 9/2 with bet365

I shall hopefully be attending the real Wimbledon FCs crunch match against Preston today.

I must say it was very obliging of my local club to move grounds to somewhere near me just after I evacuated from Streatham after nearly forty years to come to Mid Beds.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Further 10 minute ARSE delay ....

Paparazzi attempting to get illegal access to my ARSE
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,399
    What a game of cricket. What an amazing tournament the Irish are having. Desperately sorry for Williams though. Very poor call by third umpire swung the match.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    These associate nations clogging up the world cup with matches noone wants to watch...

Off to change my pants now.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Further 10 minute ARSE delay ....

Paparazzi attempting to get illegal access to my ARSE

It'd better be worth the wait that's all I'm saying...

• Options
    RobD said:

One might suggest Kelly & co get a life.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

antifrank said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

The practice of asking two separate voting intention questions, with only the results of the second being used for the headline results, has been criticised in some quarters.

http://www.thenational.scot/politics/poll-analysis-methodology-may-even-mean-scotlands-ruling-party-is-being-underestimated.796

Classic use of nominalisation.

Which 'quarters' are they James?

'Daily Mail readers'?

His comment on past vote weighting is fair - but since he's (almost) never seen a bad poll for the SNP, I fear he takes his mission to 'correct the inbuilt Unionist bias in the media' beyond the bounds of reasonable analysis.

He's an articulate cheer leader for the Nationalists - and nothing wrong with that.

But he's no Anthony Wells nor Professor Curtice.
    "criticised in some quarters" is classic Sir Humphrey speak.

"Say that questions are being asked about the report"
    "What if they haven't ?"
    "Ask some, then they have!"
  • Options

RobD said:

One might suggest Kelly & co get a life.

Would be good advice for me too ;) heh
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Dair said:

Why, actually, it's the EICC which is built on the site of the former S&N Brewery - allowed to be closed down under BLiar.

The EICC opened years before the brewery closed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

The EICC opened years before the brewery closed.
    What is this Ed Is Crap "C"???
  • Options
    Weighting by 2010 recall in Scotland is fraught with problems.

Frankly any VI poll that doesn't use IndyRef recall to weight is a touch suspect in my view.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

Charles said:

In my view, if someone explicitly decides that he wants to be called X rather than Y then it's only polite to use his given name

Now come on, politicians are fair game on this sort of thing. I call refer tp Farage as Nargle Fargle even though I'm planning to vote UKIP. I obviously wouldn't refer to him as Gideon in a more formal setting unless I knew him well enough to wind him up intentionally (which I obviously don't).

Its when such names are obviously abusive or refer to a disability that it is beyond the pale (e.g.: if someone came up with a mocking name for Gordon Brown or for example published photos of him with a pirates eye mask based upon his loss of one eye).

The thing is, if you say Gideon, everyone immediately knows who you mean as there isn't anyone else in public life with the name Gideon (reputidated or otherwise).

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Dair said:

Scottish Labour conference is bizarre.

They have Kezia Dugdale and Jim Murphy with two "members of the public" interviewing them and more often than not they don't get the answers they want/expect.

We have a labour candidate who is so ridiculously feeble, every answer to every question includes either zero hours contracts, foodbanks or bedroom tax.

Not that she has an answer for any of them, just by stating them it is sufficient.
  • Options
    Neil said:

These associate nations clogging up the world cup with matches noone wants to watch...

Off to change my pants now.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Afghans haven't done better, at one point they were definitely rising stars but seem to have plateaued a bit since finding life at the top a bit harder.

There must be a case for granting Ireland Test status, especially as England likes to help out by poaching your show ponies and finding out they are not as good as they are cracked up to be.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited March 2015
    Perhaps His Lordship has yet to poll some of those seats that will be marginal at the next election, but it is striking that some of the one quarter that he has polled are no longer marginal, such as Newton Abbot. I expect that there will be a conspiracy of silence about this poll, as I don't think it serves any of the parties to mention the poll score, except perhaps UKIP.

Both the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats will concentrate on the 2010 result, where the Conservative Anne Marie Morris won by 523 votes over the Liberal Democrat Richard Younger-Ross.

The [June 2014] poll in Newton Abbot (with changes on 2010 GE) is:
    Conservative     39% (-4)
    Liberal Democrat 20% (-21.9)
    UKIP 20% (+13.6)
    Labour 13% (+6)
    Green 7% (+5.5)
    Other 1% (+0.8)
    Tactically vote your way out of that one.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Now come on, politicians are fair game on this sort of thing. I call Farage Nargle Fargle even though I'm planning to vote UKIP. I obviously wouldn't refer to him as Gideon in a more formal setting unless I knew him well enough to wind him up intentionally (which I obviously don't)

The thing is, if you say Gideon, everyone immediately knows who you mean as there isn't anyone else in public life with the name Gideon (reputidated or otherwise).

Everyone immediately knows? I'm calling BS on that one.
This discussion has been closed.