Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited March 2015 in General

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    BTW forgot to thank YG for actually giving a Green sample size in the Sunday Times poll tables. Hitherto, had to estimate using percentage and total sample size.
  • Options
    FPT

Hengists_Gift
    4:04PM

Dair said:

show previous quotes
    The fantasy world you inhabit really does get more and more farcical. The rUK would have no negotiating position, lacking natural resources, food (Ireland would have to kow tow to their treaty obligations) and facing massive tariffs on the import of necessities, the impact on the economy would have the UK at door of the IMF within weeks.

That's your core problem, like most Kippers you have an exaggerated and unrealistic idea of the UK's place in the world. The most basic tenets of economics and trade completely elude your mindset because you think trading with the UK on anything other than 100% the EU's own terms would be desirable for the EU.

The rUK would have nothing the EU would want. Not only that it DOES HAVE things the EU DOES want. Such as the financial services industry which operate on a Europe wide basis. And it would ensure that every single bank serious about doing business with the EU would have moved its operations to Edinburgh, Dublin or Frankfurt by the time the rUK ceded from the EU.

ROFLMFAO Its not me who knows SFA about how international trade works

So lets get this right the EU is going to put tariffs on its exports to the rUK making them less competitive forcing us to look elsewhere to supply such goods potentially putting millions of EU workers out of work. Wow I wish all political parties were as innovative in their economic policies. No wonder you want rUK to stay in the EU in order to take all the unemployed Scots workers that the SNP are going to price out of business! Tell me how much will Scotland put on the price of all that energy you are going to sell us? Will you double the price of Whisky to the rUK too? Oh my god this is priceless!

Don't you understand the most basic concepts of international trade. it is the receiving nation that imposes the tariffs on goods to make their own industries competitive. That's why its called protectionism. You really are an idiot!
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

So lets get this right the EU is going to put tariffs on its exports to the rUK making them less competitive forcing us to look elsewhere to supply such goods potentially putting millions of EU workers out of work. Wow I wish all political parties were as innovative in their economic policies. No wonder you want rUK to stay in the EU in order to take all the unemployed Scots workers that the SNP are going to price out of business! Tell me how much will Scotland put on the price of all that energy you are going to sell us? Will you double the price of Whisky to the rUK too? Oh my god this is priceless!

Don't you understand the most basic concepts of international trade. it is the receiving nation that imposes the tariffs on goods to make their own industries competitive. That's why its called protectionism. You really are an idiot!

You know, I'll just leave this as it is so everyone can see your lack of trade knowledge.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Who knows?

Nigel often claims, or at least hints that he has something up his sleeve. Sometimes he does, often he doesn't.

He needs to keep in the news though, so hinting at stuff like this is a shot to nothing for him.
  • Options
    The latter would reinforce the Tory line of “Go to bed with Farage and wake up with Miliband” which the Tories are convinced will win them back some Con to UKIP defectors.

Out of exactly the same playbook as the excellent

'Are you thinking what we're thinking?"

That was a Crosby / Cameron production too wasn't it?

http://jonnynexus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/MichaelHoward.jpg
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Falling apart Tories.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    Dair said:

You know, I'll just leave this as it is so everyone can see your lack of trade knowledge.
    Is it even less than your knowledge about the financial services sector, or about the same?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Hengists_Gift
    Get the popcorn ready for the start of next month.
    The internet will be full of "spoofs" on the campaign material, and will probably shift far more voters.
    :)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    FPT A lot of Kippers say "When we leave the EU, Ukip will negotiate this or that". This is Syriza-type over-optimistic chat. Remember that hopey-changey stuff before the Greek election? Even though Europe made it clear it didn't want to play ball with hostile nationalism. The UK will lose markets to the proper free-trade areas of the EU and EFTA, and gain markets exactly nowhere. Fortunately, unlike Syriza, we all know the economics isn't important. Leaving the EU lets Kippers keep out the Poles (the nice chappies who broke Enigma and flew with the RAF) and Romanians (who had the guts to string up their communist despot). Which I guess was the real point of Ukip all along.
  • Options
    Dair said:

By all means! Although I would have thought an economic expert such as yourself would have relished explaining the error of my ways in detail. So by all means do not spare my blushes and feel free to further inform the gathered throng with your state of the art economic strategies. I am sure they will welcome your expertise.

• Options
    @EPG
    A referendum for a vote on losing a vote in Europe and not having a vote with the rest of the world?

Hard choice, I need to think about it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    I checked out the odds on Chris Kelly earlier today and they look like good value. He has nothing to lose as he is stepping down and hates Cameron. It would be the perfect payback for the man who supposedly made him cry.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    EPG said:

FPT A lot of Kippers say "When we leave the EU, Ukip will negotiate this or that". This is Syriza-type over-optimistic chat. Remember that hopey-changey stuff before the Greek election? Even though Europe made it clear it didn't want to play ball with hostile nationalism. The UK will lose markets to the proper free-trade areas of the EU and EFTA, and gain markets exactly nowhere. Fortunately, unlike Syriza, we all know the economics isn't important. Leaving the EU lets Kippers keep out the Poles (the nice chappies who broke Enigma and flew with the RAF) and Romanians (who had the guts to string up their communist despot). Which I guess was the real point of Ukip all along.

Applause.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Ben M ..You delude yourself ..quiet confidence always wins the day.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Labour are past masters at car crash poster launches.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfO4FmvHwi8
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    dr_spyn said:

Do you think Miliband will get Mandelson to speak for him too?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    edited March 2015
    The England Rugby Union team making sure they don't peak too soon for the World Cup.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Which one though?
  • Options
    Poor Scrapheap
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    EPG said:

Putting aside that the UK is also not in hock up to its neck to the European Central Bank for vast sums of money as Greece is (we have our own central bank dontcha know), the failing in your argument is that Greece actually wanted to stay in the EU (a bit like Cameron wants to do all sorts of things but still wants to be a member). The leverage of knowing they want to remain a member is the undermining factor that has meant neither has got anywhere near what they want.

However if you are intent on leaving then that leverage is non existent and what is left in terms of leverage is what each party wants from the other. The EU will still want our trade and vice versa. Presumably it will also want our military support and being a close neighbour our general co-operation, diplomatic support in global issues, co-operation in regional matters and various pan-continental initiatives. As such there is no reason to believe that the EU whilst protecting its interests will be unco-operative in post withdrawal negotiations.

I would also observe that your lack of belief in ability of the British Government (with or without UKIP leading it) and the UK people in general seems to be complete. Are you sure you actually like living in this country at all?
  • Options
    If you think about it in strictly polling terms, a lot of younger voters are going to start thinking about voting when "twatter" and "facepalm" are full funny shares and retweets?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited March 2015
    Two of the most obvious UKIP defectors Henry Smith (Crawley) and Phillip Hollobone (Kettering) both fit the second category but the danger of Labour taking their seat would still apply at the election as well.

Looking at the other contenders I can't see who else would defect, if I had to guess I'd go with Martin Vickers (Cleethorpes) who may feel he is in trouble to UKIP locally.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    This article from politico.com is worth reading for anyone planning to bet on the GOP nomination. As a centre-left publication, it is, while certainly not disinterested, perhaps somewhat more neutral on the candidates than most GOP publications night be (as each will have their favorites).

The net net is that:
    - Walker had a good conference, but some stumbles which shows he needs to improve before the campaign proper starts
    - Bush has a strategy for countering charges he is not conservative enough
    - Fiorina had a good outing and is the Hillary-basher-in-chief (a reason why I think she is a strong possibility for being on the ticket as VP)
    - Christie failed badly
    - Cruz and Jindal will be troublemakers (but with no real hint that they can ultimately succeed in winning the nod)
    - the underdogs made no headway

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/what-we-learned-from-cpac-2015-115623.html?hp=t1_r
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Look everybody its easy to find out who it could be.
    It's either a retiring MP or a sitting MP.
    If it's a sitting MP ,there are not many seats that UKIP have not selected yet, and not many that UKIP could win that they have not selected yet, and even less that UKIP could win but have not selected with a Tory MP who hates Cameron so much.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    dr_spyn said:

I strongly feel, that if armando iannucci sued the people in charge of Labour's 2010 election campaign for copyright infringement to any rights he holds to The Thick of It, im sure he would easily win.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

dr_spyn said:

I strongly feel, that if armando iannucci sued the people in charge of Labour's 2010 election campaign for copyright infringement to any rights he holds to The Thick of It, im sure he would easily win.
    It is a real shame we haven't see a return of The Thick of It. Originally, I remember that there was talk of getting at least one series of Coalition politics, but it never materialized.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    notme said:

dr_spyn said:

Knowing Labour they'd counter-sue.

• Options
    @FrancisUrquhart
    Probably couldn't get the funding?
    ;)
  • Options

notme said:

dr_spyn said:

It is a real shame we haven't see a return of The Thick of It. Originally, I remember that there was talkg of getting at least one series of Coalition politics, but it never materialized.
    Could be the personal political views of someone who likes the coalition so much he doesn't want to satirize it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015
    Speedy said:

notme said:

dr_spyn said:

It is a real shame we haven't see a return of The Thick of It. Originally, I remember that there was talkg of getting at least one series of Coalition politics, but it never materialized.
    Could be the personal political views of someone who likes the coalition so much he doesn't want to satirize it.
    More likely reason is the writing team got a big gig with Veep on HBO (which I can't stand).
  • Options

Speedy said:

notme said:

dr_spyn said:

More likely reason is the writing team got a big gig with Veep on HBO (which I can't stand).
    I was thinking the same. I wanted to like VEEP, but find it unwatchable.
  • Options
    Cameron's last stand? Beeb blog.

Posted at 16:58

In his column in the Mail on Sunday, James Forsyth suggests this is "almost certainly [David] Cameron's last General Election battle." But he argues that the Conservatives won't "win without taking some risks" and that some Tories are pushing for the right to buy - "the great, iconic Thatcherite policy" - to be extended to two and a half million housing association properties.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Given there is so much casual comment on UKIP's immigration policy, here's a little quiz for the assorted critics of UKIP immigration policy on here:

Using the latest quarterly immigration figures how many immigrants would have entered the country under UKIPs current stated immigration policy?

a) -343,000
    b) 0
    c) 376,000

Controlling immigration is?

a) Rascist
    b) Impossible
    c) A key national security function of government

What is UKIP's immigration policy?

a) End Immigration and repatriate all immigrants in the last 10 years
    b) End Immigration
    c) Implement a points style flexible quota system along the lines of the Australian Immigration system

What will UKIP set the quota level at for immigration?

a) Repatriation of as many immigrants as possible ensuring net negative migration of tens if not hundreds of thousands per year
    b) Restricting Immigration to 50,000 gross
    c) Restricting Immigration to 50,000 net
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

I would also observe that your lack of belief in ability of the British Government (with or without UKIP leading it) and the UK people in general seems to be complete. Are you sure you actually like living in this country at all?

He is also slightly glossing over WTO rules and MFN status, and all that implies.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

notme said:

dr_spyn said:

It is a real shame we haven't see a return of The Thick of It. Originally, I remember that there was talk of getting at least one series of Coalition politics, but it never materialized.
    Lost the Shouty Sweary Man to Dr. Who....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good evening, everyone.

Bah. Not too surprised England lost, but still.

In more important news, testing has ended, the first race is in less than a fortnight. Thanks to new safety regulations, it'll be at 5am.

I plan on putting up a pre-season piece tomorrow.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

He is also slightly glossing over WTO rules and MFN status, and all that implies.

Indeed but I didn't want to get technical
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @Indigo
    "He is also slightly glossing over WTO rules and MFN status, and all that implies."

What that implies is that the rest of the world will take our side against the EU? .....
    Or possibly not?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Indigo said:

Unfortunately WTO rules are too complicated for some people, much easier to believe the 3 million jobs myth.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    BenM said:

EPG said:

Applause.
    Applause indeed for such a clear illustration of the leftie worldview. The reality is that trading partners need trading partners; the EU will tango with the UK either way because their businesses need people to sell stuff to. The left doesn't recognise that the world works like that, reciprocally. It thinks that if we leave, the EU will cut off our benefits.
  • Options
    Fog in the channel...... continent cut off!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Indigo
    "He is also slightly glossing over WTO rules and MFN status, and all that implies."

What that implies is that the rest of the world will take our side against the EU? .....
    Or possibly not?

No, it means we still have access to EU markets on the same terms.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

notme said:

dr_spyn said:

The last series did involve a coalition, the one with Nicola Murray and the 'quiet bat people'
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. Anyone know how many Lib Dem certainties (or near certainties) there are in Scotland this time round
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    edited March 2015
    Roger said:

OT. Anyone know how many Lib Dem certainties (or near certainties) there are in Scotland this time round

None? ;)

• Options
    @MTimT
    By "we" you mean the USA who will look after our best interests?
    Or another "we"?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

There are actually worse things than a car crash at a poster launch.
    These are 2 of the worst political adverts in history that lead to landslide defeats:

1. McGovern 1972
    Key message: McGovern will be a disaster, I'll vote Nixon I'm not crazy.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_nDxp4iXE

2. Progressive Conservatives 1993
    Key message: An ugly person can't be PM.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=D000Amn9CIA

Compare that to the 2 best political adverts in history

1. Nixon 1972
    Key message: The Beatles love Nixon (really sounds like a Beatles song).
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMO5DfRIv-k

2. Reagan 1984
    Key message: Reagan brought America out of the darkness.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-IBF8nwSY
  • Options
    Roger said:

Alastair Carmichael and Charles Kennedy
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Eagle

Thanks

Gin

More tonic
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Afternoon all :)

I recall the Referendum Party "gained" an MP when Sir George Gardiner defected from the Conservatives just before the 1997 election. It didn't stop the Conservatives retaining the seat comfortably so the likelihood is it will be a maverick who won't bring too many supporters with him/her and it probably won't affect the result in the seat much either.

It's a useful ploy from Farage to a) keep UKIP in the media spotlight and b) put the Conservatives on the defensive. It's curious because on the key aspect of economic policy UKIP has fully supported the Osborne line so one would think irrespective of anything formal UKIP would support a minority Conservative administration's Queen's Speech.

FPT - having George Osborne supporting you must remind Cameron of how Caesar felt when Brutus told him "I've got your back, mate". It's often forgotten Cameron has been Conservative leader for nearly a decade - were he to serve a full second term he would surpass Margaret Thatcher and be closing on WSC in terms of longevity.
  • Options
    And now the answers

Mainly A's

He/she is a hysterical delusional bigoted left wing extremist who is a danger to themself and the public at large. He / she should be locked in a padded cell for their and the public's safety. Sadly there is little chance of rehabilitation. So restraint and medication should be a permanent course of action.

Mainly B's

He / She is a typical sneering urban liberal who has spent too much time believing their own propaganda to recognise the truth. As a result their head is firmly attached via their nether orifice to their lower bowel. This condition is believed treatable After surgery to release the head sufferers can be rehabilitated by undertaking a suitable course of flagellation and humiliation to remove all narcissistic tendencies.

Mainly C's

You seem to understand UKIP's view of Immigration

All C's

Being right is its own reward!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

None? ;)

Have a thought for OGH's feelings won't you?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Roger said:

Kennedy is anything but a cert imo.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

dr_spyn said:

Do you think Miliband will get Mandelson to speak for him too?

Only if there is a direct link to Peter M speaking from an oligarch's yacht...
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Speedy said:

notme said:

dr_spyn said:

You never watch Alan Partridge? His caricature of Alan being a conservative are not written from the perspective of anyone who supports Conservative politics.

The Thick of It is great because it isnt about policies, its about day to day politics of government. It could be set in any era. It resonates because of the Alistair Campbell style that it aped was pretty canny with how we perceive modern government to be.
  • Options
    A fecking Tory defection tonight would just about cap my day off.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Roger said:

Kennedy should keep his seat, but he's far from a certainty.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2015
    England cricket humiliation - tick
    Liverpool win - tick
    Arsenal win - tick
    England rugby lose - tick
    Spurs lose - effing bloody tick...

I did have the accumulator with William Hill on a 'slip' online for the last 4 earlier but couldn't bring myself to do it. wouldn't have helped anyway.

I feel lower than a Mark Reckless.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited March 2015

And now the answers

Mainly A's

He/she is a hysterical delusional bigoted left wing extremist who is a danger to themself and the public at large. He / she should be locked in a padded cell for their and the public's safety. Sadly there is little chance of rehabilitation. So restraint and medication should be a permanent course of action.

Mainly B's

He / She is a typical sneering urban liberal who has spent too much time believing their own propaganda to recognise the truth. As a result their head is firmly attached via their nether orifice to their lower bowel. This condition is believed treatable After surgery to release the head sufferers can be rehabilitated by undertaking a suitable course of flagellation and humiliation to remove all narcissistic tendencies.

Mainly C's

All C's

Steven Woolfe, the UKIP immigration spokesman, speaking on the Daily Politics a few days ago said their immigration targets were gross numbers not net. In particular he said the target for gross immigration for employment (EU and non-EU but excluding students) would be 50,000. That is a B answer.

http://www.stevenwoolfe.uk/steven-on-migration 9:00 minutes in.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Speedy said:

If it's a sitting MP ,there are not many seats that UKIP have not selected yet, and not many that UKIP could win that they have not selected yet, and even less that UKIP could win but have not selected with a Tory MP who hates Cameron so much.

UKIP have a vacancy in NW Hampshire. its possible they could have a shuffle round and parachute a candidate in from elsewhere to accommodate a defecting MP. UKIP must have thought a reasonable shot with George Young standing down else why would Diane James have stood their in the first place?

I have a hunch who it might be but I'm staying schtum simply because I wouldn't want to frighten the horses.

• Options
    Robert/Pulpstar

I know, but he's a certainty to me, well I have backed the SNP to win his seat, but that's more in hope than expectation, I suspect he has a large personal vote.
  • Options
    Mr. Scrapheap, remember, this too shall pass.

And F1 starts in under a fortnight. Nyoooooooooom!
  • Options

Liverpool win - tick
    Arsenal win - tick

I did have the accumulator with William Hill on a 'slip' online for the last 4 earlier but couldn't bring myself to do it. wouldn't have helped anyway.

On the bright side, you would have been PB's TOTY.

I nearly did a thread on the other traitorous pig-dog, but I thought that would be cruel on you.

Sol Campbell may run as Tory candidate in seat to be vacated by Malcolm Rifkind

Former England star declines to rule out standing in Kensington, the London seat being vacated by peer embroiled in cash-for-access claims

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/01/sol-campbell-may-stand-tory-mp-malcolm-rifkind-seat

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    edited March 2015
    There won't be a defection tonight, the defection will happen between Tuesday and Friday of this week.

Mike's going on a short holiday this week and I'm editing PB, and as you all know, nothing major happens when Mike goes on holiday.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Robert/Pulpstar

I know, but he's a certainty to me, well I have backed the SNP to win his seat, but that's more in hope than expectation, I suspect he has a large personal vote.

If you look at the 83 GE result, an obvious big SNP-SDP tactical switch took place to help him unseat the Conservatives. He's maintained it for 32 years but all things...
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited March 2015
    Speedy said:

Phillip Davies? UKIP haven't selected anyone in Shipley and he most certainly fits the UKIP profile.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Robert/Pulpstar

If you look at the 83 GE result, an obvious big SNP-SDP tactical switch took place to help him unseat the Conservatives. He's maintained it for 32 years but all things...
    I'm working on the basis he had 50% plus of the vote last time, he has also has 25% Tory and Lab votes to squeeze for tactical Unionist voting.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Steven Woolfe, the UKIP immigration spokesman, speaking on the Daily Politics a few days ago said their immigration targets were gross numbers not net. In particular he said the target for gross immigration for employment (EU and non-EU but excluding students) would be 50,000. That is a B answer.

So: let's say I have an analog semiconductor design business, and I need an analog semiconductor engineer, and there are no British candidates, and it's May and the 50,000 work visas have gone, does that mean I'm out of luck until the following January?

Also: we have long had open borders with Ireland for employment; is that to go as well?

And, are we still going to let young Aussies and Kiwis in for a couple of years post university (with the option of staying forever)?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, that sounds ridiculous.

But then, so does net migration into the UK of nearly a third of a million in a single year.

Maybe a 'soft cap', with exceptions for those earning/worth a certain amount of money?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Robert/Pulpstar

I'm working on the basis he had 50% plus of the vote last time, he has also has 25% Tory and Lab votes to squeeze for tactical Unionist voting.
    If there was to be an unnamed VI question (Same as Danny) in his seat his price would be about 3-1 to hold.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Mr. 1000, that sounds ridiculous.

But then, so does net migration into the UK of nearly a third of a million in a single year.

Maybe a 'soft cap', with exceptions for those earning/worth a certain amount of money?

Hard caps have been tried by others in the past, and the result of them is that people (especially corporates) attempt to get visas in case they need them, because they know the door will shut at a certain point in the year. The result is that your quota is filled in January or February, and businesses have very little flexibility.

You are much better off having a point system and accepting that some years you'll have 80,000 and some years 25,000.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Sol Campbell standing as a Tory in such a high profile seat will serve Ed's interests well. He has publicly railed against the mansion tax because he has £70,000,000 in various properties. A not very popular ex footballer being invited to become a Tory MP to guard his £70,000,000 from the tax man might just make the absurdity of the claim that we're all in this together better than a thousand 48 sheet posters.....
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

So: let's say I have an analog semiconductor design business, and I need an analog semiconductor engineer, and there are no British candidates, and it's May and the 50,000 work visas have gone, does that mean I'm out of luck until the following January?

Also: we have long had open borders with Ireland for employment; is that to go as well?

And, are we still going to let young Aussies and Kiwis in for a couple of years post university (with the option of staying forever)?
    All immigration levels should be decided by the British parliament. We should be allowed to discriminate e.g: if a certain nationality has a disproportionate number of criminals we should be allowed to bar that nationality or set strict limits. We might prefer to have no limits on Aussies and other "favoured nations".

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2015
    100% complete and utter tosser. How can anyone follow such an utter bore.

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret·35 mins35 minutes ago
    Despite his ott attack in Ashley Barnes I hope Mourinho gets the treble. Good for the book #Winners http://www.kicca.com/campbellclaret/posts/54f3513ccc10edb5424462c5
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, £70m? Or £7m? If it's £70m, then kudos to Campbell, that must surely exceed his wages.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited March 2015
    No 1 priority is Farage and UKIP want a referendum. It's in the name. So another defection will most likely be just enough to put Miliband into No 10, the one guy that states he is not having a referendum and will for the next 5 years ties us in so tightly to the EU that escape will never be possible. We can all then live in Milibands socialist utopia for ever after and the UKIP party will become utterly irrelevant

There's is just one thing? It's the direct opposite of what Farage wants.......

I really don't get his game plan
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Completely OT

Just heard this evening via Britarch that the great Sheppard Frere, author of the seminal work 'Britannia' died on Thursday. I can't really say he died too young given that he was 98 but it is still sad when someone who has had such a huge influence on a particular field passes away.

RIP.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Absolutely agree. I think skills-shortage visas should be on a market needs basis, rather than part of any overall quota. The US does that reasonably well, with general exceptions and industry-specific exceptions.
  • Options
    perdix said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

All immigration levels should be decided by the British parliament. We should be allowed to discriminate e.g: if a certain nationality has a disproportionate number of criminals we should be allowed to bar that nationality or set strict limits. We might prefer to have no limits on Aussies and other "favoured nations".

I've started five business: all are international in nature, and all are substantial export earners for the UK.

What you propose is madness.

If who I can employ is permanently changing, with annual shuffles for what skills are needed, etc., then I simply wouldn't start a business in the UK.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,018

Completely OT

Just heard this evening via Britarch that the great Sheppard Frere, author of the seminal work 'Britannia' died on Thursday. I can't really say he died too young given that he was 98 but it is still sad when someone who has had such a huge influence on a particular field passes away.

RIP.

RIP.

I'm embarrassed to say that the book's been in my extended to-read pile for a few years now, and I have't got around to reading it yet.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MTimT
    By "we" you mean the USA who will look after our best interests?
    Or another "we"?

FYI, I am British.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Barnesian said:

And now the answers

Mainly A's

Mainly B's

Mainly C's

All C's

Not the way that the immigration figures are structured at the moment its not. Far more than 50,000 immigrants gross will still come to this country each year. On the last figures it changes them slightly upwards and rather than 376,000 immigrants in the last year it would be 380,000. Much closer to 50,000 net but granted that may not necessarily be the case every time given the way Woolfe seems to be approaching the issue.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/february-2015/info-long-term-international-migration.html

What Woolfe seems to be talking about though is a completely new way of structuring the immigration figures. I'm not sure now is the right time to be doing that though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,018
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

"let's say I have an analog semiconductor design business, and I need an analog semiconductor engineer,"

Where's the job based, what's the particular work, and what're the pay and conditions?

;-)

Being serious for a moment, you make an excellent point.
  • Options

Completely OT

RIP.

RIP.

I'm embarrassed to say that the book's been in my extended to-read pile for a few years now, and I have't got around to reading it yet.
    I remember the book particularly because it (along with Barry Cunliffe's Iron Age Communities in Britain) cost me 3 weekend's work in my parent's bookshop to be able to afford to buy it. Most of my books for going to university I got as presents from my parents via the shop but after having tapped them for a not inconsiderable number of tomes, I considered it only fair I pay for the remainder through work. The book is still sat behind me on the shelf as I type and has proved invaluable time and time again throughout my career even in an age of internet.
  • Options

Completely OT

RIP.

RIP.

I remember the book particularly because it (along with Barry Cunliffe's Iron Age Communities in Britain) cost me 3 weekend's work in my parent's bookshop to be able to afford to buy it. Most of my books for going to university I got as presents from my parents via the shop but after having tapped them for a not inconsiderable number of tomes, I considered it only fair I pay for the remainder through work. The book is still sat behind me on the shelf as I type and has proved invaluable time and time again throughout my career even in an age of internet.
    It's not on Kindle! I hate having to buy dead tree books,
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Mr. Roger, £70m? Or £7m? If it's £70m, then kudos to Campbell, that must surely exceed his wages.

It's some staggering percentage like 75% of all Premier League footballers who go bankrupt after leaving their £20,000+/week salaries.
  • Options
    Mr. Grandiose, my sympathy for them is so minute it's in danger of becoming negative and forming anti-matter.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2015

Liverpool win - tick
    Arsenal win - tick

On the bright side, you would have been PB's TOTY.

I'll thank you to remember that there has been, is and will only ever be one TOTY on PB.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Completely OT

RIP.

RIP.

It's not on Kindle! I hate having to buy dead tree books,
    I refuse to have anything to do with electronic books even though my own book was published on kindle. Paper is the only proper way to read books. The rest is just surfing.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Mr. Grandiose, my sympathy for them is so minute it's in danger of becoming negative and forming anti-matter.

I wasn't suggesting they get out the begging bowl. Only that Mr Campbell's reported fortune is very much the rariety. Elsewhere it's clearly that they get accustomed to a certain sort of lifestyle and bleed their funds dry before changing it...
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Moses_ said:

No 1 priority is Farage and UKIP want a referendum. It's in the name. So another defection will most likely be just enough to put Miliband into No 10, the one guy that states he is not having a referendum and will for the next 5 years ties us in so tightly to the EU that escape will never be possible. We can all then live in Milibands socialist utopia for ever after and the UKIP party will become utterly irrelevant

There's is just one thing? It's the direct opposite of what Farage wants.......

I really don't get his game plan

Its called 'gravy train'. You might think I'm being self indulgent saying that - but its Farage who is self indulgent.
  • Options
    Mr. Grandiose, indeed, hence why I'd give kudos to him for a £70m set of assets. Wish I had that.

Mr. Tyndall, you can always use CreateSpace or Lulu to self-publish physical editions.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Liverpool win - tick
    Arsenal win - tick

The only result of significance went the right way. OTBC!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,447
    EPG said:

This would be the part where I offer a counter argument, only to do that I'd have had to find one in this post. Sadly when you get through the meaningless smeary invective, hyperbole, and baseless crystal ball gazing, you're left with nothing - like a sausageless casserole.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    rcs1000 said:

perdix said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

I've started five business: all are international in nature, and all are substantial export earners for the UK.

If who I can employ is permanently changing, with annual shuffles for what skills are needed, etc., then I simply wouldn't start a business in the UK.
    That sounds very like the hypothetical emigratory flounce of the rich in response to rises in income tax. In reality the most likely outcome would be that you would find your analog semiconductor engineer already here, you'd just have to pay more for him, or you'd get the job done temporarily elsewhere what with your businesses being "international in nature".
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

rcs1000 said:

perdix said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

That sounds very like the hypothetical emigratory flounce of the rich in response to rises in income tax. In reality the most likely outcome would be that you would find your analog semiconductor engineer already here, you'd just have to pay more for him, or you'd get the job done temporarily elsewhere what with your businesses being "international in nature".
    That only works if there are enough of skill X in the country. Otherwise the net result, at least in the short-term, is to slow growth and increase inflation. One would hope in the longer term our education would respond to market forces, but good luck with that. And in truly cutting edge industries, that simply is not an option.

If you want your company to be a world-beater, you need access to the best global talent. Simples.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X Sorry, typos: slower growth and increased inflation.
This discussion has been closed.