Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s just reignited pensions as a battleground

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s just reignited pensions as a battleground

Elections are won on perceptions as much as realities: competence, trustworthiness, whether a person or party is ‘on my side’, and so on. It’s therefore brave of Labour to propose funding a cut in university tuition fees from taxes raised on pensions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    It might not matter so much if the tuition fees proposal was getting a clear run - but it isn't - its coming in for a lot of flack on its own merits

Cutting tuition fees will only help the rich, Miliband told

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4368056.ece

It doesn't add up: Where Ed Miliband's gone wrong on tuition fees

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/it-doesnt-add-up-where-ed-milibands-gone-wrong-on-tuition-fees-10076972.html

Oh, and of course the Scots have not been slow to work out they'll be diddled:

Ed Miliband's university tuition fee cut leaves Scotland with £37m shortfall

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/ed-milibands-university-tuition-fee-cut-leaves-scotland-with-37m-shortfall.119559610
  • Options
    George sums up Ed's 'presentational problem':

Far from hitting only the richest as Ed Miliband claimed, his new tax on pensions will hit many people on middle incomes including nurses, teachers and firefighters. So a tuition fees policy that only benefits better off students is being paid for by hardworking taxpayers on middle incomes.”

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/feb/27/labour-ed-miliband-tuition-fees
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Oops!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2015

George sums up Ed's 'presentational problem':

Far from hitting only the richest as Ed Miliband claimed, his new tax on pensions will hit many people on middle incomes including nurses, teachers and firefighters. So a tuition fees policy that only benefits better off students is being paid for by hardworking taxpayers on middle incomes.”

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/feb/27/labour-ed-miliband-tuition-fees

Though in the next sentence, Osborne's example looks a tad contrived, with an unexplained promotion and payrise halfway through.

He said a nurse team leader earning about £35,500 who is in a final salary scheme and was promoted to matron on a salary of £53,500 with 25 years’ service (after carrying forward unused allowances) would lose £5,000.
  • Options
    Miliband is heir to Blair: slogans become policy.
  • Options

Miliband is heir to Blair: slogans become policy.

The FT would agree:

Ed Miliband is seldom accused of being impulsive. Those favourable to Labour’s leader see his long pauses as proof that thoughtful action first demands that every angle be covered. But reflection does not always lead to better judgment, and his deliberations on tuition fees are a case in point.....

.....After due deliberation, Mr Miliband has offered more of a short-term electoral bribe than a real solution

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aab55c5e-be7c-11e4-8036-00144feab7de.html#axzz3T0qY0jWE
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    I'm not sure that media coverage is heavy enough to create a strong impression one way or the other for those who just skim the news. For the minority who dig into the detail, not being able to deposit more than £30,000/year tax-free in a pension fund doesn't sound a very serious problem to most people, and those £53,000 nurses aren't very common, but on the other hand students tend to be sceptical and low-turnout. I'll be interested to see if it comes up on the doorstep this weekend.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

I'm not sure that media coverage is heavy enough to create a strong impression one way or the other for those who just skim the news. For the minority who dig into the detail, not being able to deposit more than £30,000/year tax-free in a pension fund doesn't sound a very serious problem to most people, and those £53,000 nurses aren't very common, but on the other hand students tend to be sceptical and low-turnout. I'll be interested to see if it comes up on the doorstep this weekend.

If there is one thing that people over about 50 pay VERY close attention to, it is their finances going forward - and everything that affects them. Rest assured, people will be checking it out. I hope you are better briefed to deal with irate pensioners and pensioners-to-be on the doorstep than you have demonstrated on here in the past.

Or will "pensions" become another on Labour's long list of doorstep verboten words?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2015
    It seems that the commentariat are universally agreed that it's a bad, populist policy.

The funny thing about populist policies is that they are often popular.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

If there is one thing that people over about 50 pay VERY close attention to, it is their finances going forward - and everything that affects them. Rest assured, people will be checking it out. I hope you are better briefed to deal with irate pensioners and pensioners-to-be on the doorstep than you have demonstrated on here in the past.

Or will "pensions" become another on Labour's long list of doorstep verboten words?

We'll see, but existing pensioners aren't affected, nor is anyone in the average income range. You're relying on a general impression (in much the same way as the Tories have unsuccessfully tried to make the general population worried about the mansion tax), and as I say I don't think that will cut through either way, though the Red Liberals who defected specifically to Labour on the fees issue will feel reinforced.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    On Thread :

Ed Miliband Will Never Receive A Prime Ministerial Pension
  • Options
    O/t I was opinion polled first time in life y'day for YouGov. think you call it a VI on here? Doesn't make me any less jittery about online polling & the opposite. The whole malarkey's so open to distortion I'm getting ultra cautious.

No science behind this but I'm weighting probabilities around a 60:40 phone vs online polling spread across all.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited February 2015
    on topic pretty stupid policy stuff by labour. are they trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

ps surprised someone in their 40s brought up this tuition fee thing to me yesterday evening saying how wrong labour are. She's not a tory as far as I know, she just thinks its all wrong. Anecdote alert admittedly.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Oh wow! What a game of cricket in New Zealand!
  • Options
    First Saturday ARSE 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projections Countdown :

170 hours
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    As a pensioner grandparent, I have to say that neither of my graduate grandchildren, nor the partner of one of them (the other’s single) seem worried by the level of their debt. It’s a fact of life. They may or may not pay it off, but. They are all too polite to say that they wonder if, when we die, there’ll be enough in the kitty for them!

Actually I wonder whether a cunningly constructed plan based on inheritance might be a way to go about ensuring repayment. Poorer families wouldn't be affected; richer ones would be.
  • Options
    So over the last 4 months:
    Tories stronger and more competent,
    Labour more divided,
    Lib Dems less divided,
    UKIP weaker, nastier (in fact nastiest by a full 10%), more divided and less professional.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

We'll see, but existing pensioners aren't affected, nor is anyone in the average income range. You're relying on a general impression (in much the same way as the Tories have unsuccessfully tried to make the general population worried about the mansion tax), and as I say I don't think that will cut through either way, though the Red Liberals who defected specifically to Labour on the fees issue will feel reinforced.

I am likely to be affected (as are MP's!).

I have a SIPP pot currently worth £74 000, and a pensionable NHS salary of £90 000 per year, with 24 years of service. This works out as 24/80 of final salary per year, and actuarially is calculated at 23 times annual pension to determine the nominal pot. My NHS pension pot is currently worth £595 000, giving a total pension pot close to £700 000. Currently I was planning another 12 or so years service, but that would put me well over the reduced pension limit. The impact of this pension tax raid is that I would bring forward my retirement. I would probably then go back to work (either private or locum) and collect my pension.

The effect would be similar at the upper echelons of Medicine, General Practice, Teaching, Academia, Judicary, Civil Service, Armed Forces etc. While I and some of these wold return as locums etc after "24 hour retirement", we would not be in positions where we would be able to pass on our skills and experience to the next generation, or use our years of experience in senior management roles.

The position in the private sector would be different, in that business people tend to make investments in their business the priority in their early years and only make big contributions into their pensions within a decade or so of retirement. They would be more affected by the annual limit than the lifetime limit.

Pensions get tax relief not as a perk, but because they are deferred income. It is very likely that I will be paying higher rate tax, even as a pensioner, so the money lost to the exchecquer in this relief does tend to return (as long as I retire in this country.

The upshot of these changes (incidentally one LD policy I disagree with) will be early retirement in the public sector and accountancy dodges in the private sector. As well as discouraging thrift and saving, it is likely to not raise the money required as paying this tax is voluntary!

• Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    This does effect pretty much everyone savirg for a pension.
    A max tax free pot of £1m is too small for a decent pension for anyone retiring in 5 plus years time. This change effects everyone.

More over this potential raid reminds everyone of Labour's near criminal destruction of the pension system last time they were in power.

We will all be truly f@cked if Miliband gets in is the only conclusion from this proposed change
  • Options

As a pensioner grandparent, I have to say that neither of my graduate grandchildren, nor the partner of one of them (the other’s single) seem worried by the level of their debt. It’s a fact of life. They may or may not pay it off, but. They are all too polite to say that they wonder if, when we die, there’ll be enough in the kitty for them!

Actually I wonder whether a cunningly constructed plan based on inheritance might be a way to go about ensuring repayment. Poorer families wouldn't be affected; richer ones would be.

Foxinsoxuk jr will have paid £27 000 in fees, plus will have student loan for living expenses so will have a total student debt of £40 000 or so on the student loan book when he graduates. The scheme would only benefit current teenager if he started University in Sept 2016 and would only reduce it to £31 000 or so. Will this make a real difference to their income in their 20s and 30s? It would probably only do so when they reach their 40's and pay the loan off earlier.

The whole system is a dysfunctionaĺ mess and this change does not help significantly (and also makes universities vulnerable to whims of further Chancellors.

We should move away from Brown-like stealth taxation as pension taxes and graduate taxes only encourage tax planning and new dodges. Be a bit more honest and stick up the rate on higher rate income tax and be done with it. Clean simple and honest! No wonder that our politicos do not understand it!

• Options

Labour more divided,
    Lib Dems less divided,
    UKIP weaker, nastier (in fact nastiest by a full 10%), more divided and less professional.

Which all makes it rather puzzling as to why Labour maintain a small but persistent poll lead.

I had a quick reckon up of poll leads in the first two months of the year and I make it:

January - Blue 7: Ties 10: Red 26
    February - Blue 7: Ties 6 : Red 28

As Nick P so regularly comments, nothing is changing. There's no trend and precious little movement. Crossover remains as elusive as ever and 'the month of pulling away' appears to have been postponed.

Personally I blame Sunil.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2015
    Good article David. I think you have summed up the politics of this in one line "It exposes the Lib Dems pefidy on the subject". In my opinion that's what it's all about. Few will be interested or worried by the details of pensions with £1,000,000 tag in front of it even if it affects them. The young never think they'll reach pension age and it wont affect those on a pension already.

It's not about attracting the tiny band of Lib Dems still n existance but reminding those who once voted Clagg that Labour really can be an an honest alternative.

Milliband is proving smarter than many of us thought
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    antifrank said:

It seems that the commentariat are universally agreed that it's a bad, populist policy.

The funny thing about populist policies is that they are often popular.

10p tax rate.
  • Options

Labour more divided,
    Lib Dems less divided,

Which all makes it rather puzzling as to why Labour maintain a small but persistent poll lead.

I had a quick reckon up of poll leads in the first two months of the year and I make it:

As Nick P so regularly comments, nothing is changing. There's no trend and precious little movement. Crossover remains as elusive as ever and 'the month of pulling away' appears to have been postponed.

Lack of crossover is purely a statistical artefact.

VERY puzzling poll, I cannot get my head round Divided - Con 30% (-15). A move of that magnitude on any polling question at all is extraordinary, and what has happened to justify it? A slightly quiet period for euro-silliness I suppose, but 15 points?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Good article David. I think you have summed up the politics of this in one line "It exposes the Lib Dems pefidy on the subject". In my opinion that's what it's all about. Few will be interested or worried by the details of pensions with £1,000,000 tag in front of it even if it affects them. The young never think they'll reach pension age and it wont affect those on a pension already.

It's not about attracting the tiny band of Lib Dems still n existance but reminding those who once voted Clagg that Labour really can be an an honest alternative.

Milliband is proving smarter than many of us thought

It is typical of Milliband all over. Short term electoral tactics at the expense of long term sensible strategy.

It also does not build bridges to one of two viable coalition partners. It is a gamble on winning an absolute majority.

I defended Milliband on here long after others gave up on him but have to concede that others here were right. He is crap.

• Options
    saddo said:

A max tax free pot of £1m is too small for a decent pension for anyone retiring in 5 plus years time. This change effects everyone.

More over this potential raid reminds everyone of Labour's near criminal destruction of the pension system last time they were in power.

We will all be truly f@cked if Miliband gets in is the only conclusion from this proposed change

Most pensioners never had it so good as when Brown was
    the chancellor

Winter Fuel Allowance introduced and increased at every.budget
    as well as Pension Credits and of course the massive and
    necessary increases in NHS spending improved ordinary
    pensioners lives no end

Aaah but of course its only the rich pensioners that most PB
    commenters and the Tory press and BBC care about hence the
    fake crocodile tears for them over this excellent cut in Tuition Fees
    policy

As NP says this will have little effect on the GE..Rich pensioners
    mainly vote Tory already and so this policy can only be a vote
    winner if enough Students can be arsed to get themselves out
    and vote after their disullision thanks to Cleggs mob last time
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Good article, Mr. Herdson. Younger voters who might benefit are less likely to vote, older voters who fear their pensions being hit (or hit in the future) are likelier to turn out.
  • Options

saddo said:

the chancellor

pensioners lives no end

policy

Current students would not benefit. It is their younger siblings (mostly under voting age) that would get the dubious benefit of paying off their debt 20 years in the future rather than 25.

Meanwhile senior public sector workers like me look at early retirement. Labour plans to have more GPs and Consultants, yet this pension change will worsen the shortfall and also reduce domestic training capacity. The only way to fill the gap would be increased immigration. Lack of joined up government.

Ed really has the negative Midas touch. Everything he touches turns to crap.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Fox

"It is typical of Milliband all over. Short term electoral tactics at the expense of long term sensible strategy."

For a leader on the left the most important thing is getting into office. They have one long term goal which is making the country more equitable. The 'right' restrict their ambition to simple pragmatic goals like keeping the economy bumbling along.

I'd like the government to bring in wealth taxes like they have in Holland where they take the disparity between rich and poor seriously. How could that ever happen here when even talking about the subject would be electoral suicide?

Your post about your pension describes well how redistributing money from the relatively well to do will require a crowbar which is why they need this little sleight of hand
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Labour more divided,
    Lib Dems less divided,

VERY puzzling poll, I cannot get my head round Divided - Con 30% (-15). A move of that magnitude on any polling question at all is extraordinary, and what has happened to justify it? A slightly quiet period for euro-silliness I suppose, but 15 points?
    Crossover is also a bit of a running joke around here, Ish!

Be kind of sad when it happens and we have to stop teasing Sunil.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Foxinsoxuk jr will have paid £27 000 in fees, plus will have student loan for living expenses so will have a total student debt of £40 000 or so on the student loan book when he graduates. The scheme would only benefit current teenager if he started University in Sept 2016 and would only reduce it to £31 000 or so. Will this make a real difference to their income in their 20s and 30s? It would probably only do so when they reach their 40's and pay the loan off earlier.

The whole system is a dysfunctionaĺ mess and this change does not help significantly (and also makes universities vulnerable to whims of further Chancellors.

We should move away from Brown-like stealth taxation as pension taxes and graduate taxes only encourage tax planning and new dodges. Be a bit more honest and stick up the rate on higher rate income tax and be done with it. Clean simple and honest! No wonder that our politicos do not understand it!

Depends - at the higher rate threshold you pay off 200 a month or thereabouts I think so it would still take forever
  • Options
    edited February 2015

saddo said:

the chancellor

pensioners lives no end

policy

Are you very subtly trying to convey the impression, as other sage voices have intimated, that the LotO may not cross the portals of 10 Downing Street as the Queen's First Lord of the Treasury as long as he has a orifice in his rear end ?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    saddo said:

And unlike Mansion Tax, fiscal creep is a real and almost immediate threat - in 10 years time this will hit the middle, middle classes (unless we get the Great Deflation).

Edit Duh, that's what you are saying anyway. More coffee needed.
  • Options

saddo said:

the chancellor

pensioners lives no end

policy

Current students would not benefit. It is their younger siblings (mostly under voting age) that would get the dubious benefit of paying off their debt 20 years in the future rather than 25.

Meanwhile senior public sector workers like me look at early retirement. Labour plans to have more GPs and Consultants, yet this pension change will worsen the shortfall and also reduce domestic training capacity. The only way to fill the gap would be increased immigration. Lack of joined up government.

Thats presumably why he defeated his brother against all the
    odds, was the first to attack Murdoch openly leading to the closure
    of the News of the World, stopped Dave and Nick helping replace
    ASSAD with I S and is now clearly heading for a General Election
    win of some kind that may be the most progressive for many
    years

And as Tory Peter Oborne rightly said "he will have got into power
    unlike all other recent PMs owing nothing to anybody"

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Roger said:

Fox

"It is typical of Milliband all over. Short term electoral tactics at the expense of long term sensible strategy."

For a leader on the left the most important thing is getting into office. They have a long term goal which is making the country more equitable. The 'right' restrict their ambition to simple pragmatic goals like keeping the economy bumbling along.

I'd like the government to bring in wealth taxes like they have in Holland where they take the disparity between rich and poor seriously. How could that ever happen here when even talking about the subject would be electoral suicide?

Your post about how you and your pension describe well how redistributing money from the relatively well to do will require a crowbar which is why they need this little sleight of hand

Pension contributions are voluntary at this level. Apply punitive tax rates to them and people will spend the money in other ways that are more tax efficient.

The pension changes will not raise money, and students will not get any benefit until decades later. How does that help equity?

I am no fan of UKIP, but their policy on fees is the most sensible. No fees for STEM subjects provided the student pays UK tax for five years postgraduation.

Much better at ensuring equitable access to University for the poor surely?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Roger said:

Fox

For a leader on the left the most important thing is getting into office. They have one long term goal which is making the country more equitable. The 'right' restrict their ambition to simple pragmatic goals like keeping the economy bumbling along.

Your post about how you and your pension describe well how redistributing money from the relatively well to do will require a crowbar which is why they need this little sleight of hand

How much extra tax are you willing to pay?
  • Options

Roger said:

Fox

How much extra tax are you willing to pay?
    Fox's dictum applys: "the only fair tax is one paid by other people"!
  • Options
    May I just commend @coolagorna on his recent but now regular comedy turns on PB.

It's becoming something of a guilty but essential pleasure most days and has the residual benefit of ensuring the chuckle muscles of most PBers remain in full working order.

Well done old chap.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Thank you, Mr Herdson.

The main problem with this policy is of course that it will make no difference at all to the financial situation in HE, except possibly to accelerate the looming financial crisis. It will not make the current HE model financially viable, nor will it restore free tuition. It is neither fish nor fowl.

At some point, probably within 10 years, we will have to ask which model we move to:

Either we move to an American-based market style system of loans/grants based on full market rate payments - e.g. £25,000 a year for a science degree at Warwick, and £500 a year for a pointless degree at one of those universities who effectively give out certificates for turning up (I am far too polite to mention the two worst offenders in that regard);

Or we go back to a very much smaller HE sector paid for out of general taxation.

The second option is probably not viable for all sorts of reasons, not least the economic damage it would do to several major towns and cities. Also, with the very large overseas cohort in this country, the first model is probably closer to what already happens in practice.

The joke of course is that the current system which is skewed towards disadvantaged students and towards those who will subsequently earn low incomes, while it is not in the long term sustainable, is a lot more socialist in practice than what Labour is proposing!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Paging Roger
    For Andy Burnham, outsourcing operations to the private sector while he was Secretary of State for Health was not comparable to the Tories doing the same because he is Labour and they are Tories.

Harriet Harman was not being sexist in her choice of pink because she was Harriet Harman and could not be sexist.

And Ed Miliband’s minor domestic tax avoidance was morally different to what avaricious capitalists do. How could his mother be like them?

This mode of insular righteousness is nearer the behaviour of a cult than a party of government. It is not enough to believe we are right because we are Labour.
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/02/27/labours-campaign-is-a-mess-so-much-wrong-so-little-right/
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Labour more divided,
    Lib Dems less divided,

There will definitely be Crossover dont worry PB boys and girls

Unfortunately it will be in May when the yobboes and foul mouthed
    cu#ts to use Anna Soubreys ladylike term will trudge over to the
    opposition benches for five more years of impotence after not.learning
    their lesson that only genuine "One Nation Compassonate
    Conservatism" can win them a GE...not pretending to care about
    hoodies and global warming and then embarking on the most
    extreme right wing five year term for many a year

• Options
    edited February 2015

saddo said:

the chancellor

pensioners lives no end

policy

. It is their younger siblings (mostly under voting age) that would get the dubious benefit of paying off their debt 20 years in the future rather than 25.

Thnk about that from the other side this is one Labour proposal that is financially free in the next parliament pretty much.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Are Ed and George Osborne the same person - they both like gimmicks,

I'd have thought £1 million was a very big pension pot and so will the great majority of the public, so it won't hurt Labour's popularity in the short term. And it allows Ed to point to the LDs and say "Na na nana."

A little childish but typical.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I'd have thought £1 million was a very big pension pot and so will the great majority of the public, so it won't hurt Labour's popularity in the short term. And it allows Ed to point to the LDs and say "Na na nana."

It's a pipe dream for 90+% of defined contributions workers
  • Options
    CD13 said:

LDs plan a similar pension raid, but for the NHS funding.

So unless it is a Tory government it looks like early retirement for me.

• Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, it's one more reason why the mansion tax is deranged. NHS funding would vary according to the housing market.
  • Options
    JackW said:

May I just commend @coolagorna on his recent but now regular comedy turns on PB.

It's becoming something of a guilty but essential pleasure most days and has the residual benefit of ensuring the chuckle muscles of most PBers remain in full working order.

Well done old chap.

And that "old chap" explains why you havent won a GE majority since

You dont even recognise the North, Scotland, Wales and London
    let alone want to take any steps to win votes there by accepting
    that not everyone thinks neo liberalism has been an unqualified
    success and that "Britain is booming" and try to engage with them

Now run along and check your shares.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited February 2015
    Personally I am fed up with the constant attacks on my income by Tax grabbing Governments..When will they realise that my money is entirely earned by me and I will take every step possible within the law to make sure I retain as much of it as possible... I do not work my tail off for politicians to play with their pet projects.
    If an individual wants to go to University,presumable to obtain a degree and a higher salary over his life then that's great.. don't expect me to pay for it.
    Jack W..you are right .. coolagorna is extremely funny.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited February 2015
    F1: good day yesterday for McLaren (100 odd laps) and Force India, who did more than a race distance despite this being the first time their 2015 car appeared at testing.

Mercedes still look like frontrunners by a distance.

Edited extra bit: I'm a little tempted by Williams to be best of the rest (Betfair Exchange) although 3.15 is a little tight. I'll mull that over. It could be them, or Ferrari. Red Bull seem to be 3rd or 4th, but the Renault has perhaps more scope for improvement over the season than any other engine (although if it's the slowest that still might not make them best of the rest).
  • Options

JackW said:

Well done old chap.

As I recall, JackW is (like me) a supporter of the coalition and prefers it to either party in sole government.

As such we do have a majority government.
  • Options

JackW said:

Well done old chap.

As I recall, JackW is (like me) a supporter of the coalition and prefers it to either party in sole government.

68 days left of it and counting

• Options

JackW said:

Well done old chap.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch!
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited February 2015
    Daily Mail. Published 2:04, 27 February 2015

A report. Attributed to David Martosko, US political editor for Dailymail.com. I saw it on the UK online version early yesterday, but today I couldn't find it on either home page, UK news or US page and I had to locate it via Google News.

"Nigel Farage warned Thursday night in America that the U.S. Republican party will become a dinosaur – not an elephant – if it continues to embrace the political center....Farage fit right in, keeping backstage handlers waiting for his appointment to test a lapel microphone while he smoked a cigar in the cold, outside the Maryland resort hotel where more than a thousand stayed into the dinner hour to hear him."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2971383/UKIP-chief-Nigel-Farage-warns-Republican-Party-sticks-establishment-LOSE.html

Daily Mail. Published 09.50, 27 February 2015

A report attributed to Tom McTague, Deputy Political Editor for Mailonline, now on the online home page.

"Farage left red faced after flying half way round the world to address an EMPTY ROOM at conference for hardcore US conservatives...Nigel Farage flew to Washington to address a conservative conference. But he was given the 'graveyard' speaking slot at the end of the day Just 250 people turned up to listen in a room for more than 5,000 "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2971786/Farage-left-red-faced-flying-half-way-round-world-address-ROOM-conference-hardcore-conservatives.html#comments

Clearly the second one is much more agreeable for CCHQ. I would imagine there must have been some very angry calls from CCHQ to the Editorial office early yesterday morning after much spluttering of tea over first editions at CCHQ, I rather fear followed by double c*ntings all round.....

Not sure this is a very astute long term commercial strategy given the political leanings of Daily Mail readers.

• Options

Ishmael_X said:

Labour more divided,
    Lib Dems less divided,

Unfortunately it will be in May when the yobboes and foul mouthed cu#ts to use Anna Soubreys ladylike term will trudge over to the opposition benches for five more years of impotence after not.learning their lesson that only genuine "One Nation Compassonate
    Conservatism" can win them a GE...not pretending to care about hoodies and global warming and then embarking on the most extreme right wing five year term for many a year
    zzzzzzzz How about enlightening us with your forecast of the GE outcome?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Dr Fox,

In general, there will be no sympathy for the big pension holders. Senior medical staff will be an exception because few will begrudge someone who's spent five years graduating and then ten to fifteen tears training to do a useful and stressful job.

However ... the usual suspect is seen to be an advertising exec whose degree is in talking himself up and his life's work is designing a nice-looking crisp packet.

Or, even worse, a banker.
  • Options

JackW said:

Well done old chap.

Au contraire little Labour Party house pet, I predicted and advocated a Con/LibDem Coalition prior to the 2010 General Election and accordingly won the election and the subsequent PB world TOTYship.

JackW and Ancestors - Providing essential election forecasting since 1745 - Never knowingly undersold.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    JackW said:

First Saturday ARSE 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projections Countdown :

170 hours

Revealing your ARSE to us all on a Saturday!!!!!!!! How privileged we are...
  • Options
    PMB..There is a video of the Farage speech to an empty room on Order Order
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

In general, there will be no sympathy for the big pension holders. Senior medical staff will be an exception because few will begrudge someone who's spent five years graduating and then ten to fifteen tears training to do a useful and stressful job.

However ... the usual suspect is seen to be an advertising exec whose degree is in talking himself up and his life's work is designing a nice-looking crisp packet.

But these predators too will not pay this voluntary tax on voluntary contributions. They will either retire early or spend the money in other ways.

It simply will not raise the required sum. It seems the numbers are based on people continuing to make unchanged pension contributions, which they will not do. These are financially astute people who can afford good accountants.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

170 hours

Revealing your ARSE to us all on a Saturday!!!!!!!! How privileged we are...
    Indeed so.

It rather brings a whole new meaning to "something for weekend Sir?" :smile:

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Is there anything that the two eds are vowing to do re lump sums from pensions. Mine is due soon and i don't want them messing vwith it
  • Options
    Dr Fox,

"They will either retire early or spend the money in other ways."

Even more reason to dislike them ...But I agree, that's why it's an Ed gimmick.
  • Options
    SR..That really would be putting the noose around their necks.They couldn't be that stupid..could they...
  • Options

Personally I am fed up with the constant attacks on my income by Tax grabbing Governments..When will they realise that my money is entirely earned by me and I will take every step possible within the law to make sure I retain as much of it as possible... I do not work my tail off for politicians to play with their pet projects.
    If an individual wants to go to University,presumable to obtain a degree and a higher salary over his life then that's great.. don't expect me to pay for it.

"my money is entirely earned by me"

So you werent educated at school/college/uni (for free)
    to enable you to have the skills and knowledge to
    earn "your money" ?

You dont drive on roads that need Govt money spent
    on them to maintain them?

You have never used a GP or hospital and dont wish to
    pay anything to ensure that future GPs and docs can be trained?

You dont require defending from terrorism by Govt spending on security
    services?

You dont need state funded police protection from burglars/muggers/killers

We live in a society not a jungle and its time "All taxation is theft
    types" like you realised this

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

I am just an ordinary working class boy that worked hard and paid into a final salary scheme, private sector. I am sure many like me and your post kind of sums up envious lazy leftie wanting everything for nothing losers.
  • Options

It might not matter so much if the tuition fees proposal was getting a clear run - but it isn't - its coming in for a lot of flack on its own merits

Cutting tuition fees will only help the rich, Miliband told

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4368056.ece

It doesn't add up: Where Ed Miliband's gone wrong on tuition fees

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/it-doesnt-add-up-where-ed-milibands-gone-wrong-on-tuition-fees-10076972.html

Oh, and of course the Scots have not been slow to work out they'll be diddled:

Ed Miliband's university tuition fee cut leaves Scotland with £37m shortfall

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/ed-milibands-university-tuition-fee-cut-leaves-scotland-with-37m-shortfall.119559610

If you are going to do something like that, far better to target the money and abolish the fees for Engineering, Science and Medicine Degrees, in effect providing fully funded government bursaries for those subjects.

Fairly obvious though that the chopping of pension relief from those on £150,000, once established as a principle, will see pension tax relief going the same way as mortgage tax relief before too long.

The chopping of lifetime pension pots from £1.25 million to 1 million will also put the wind up a lot of ordinary people. It was £1.8 million in 2010 and has already been chopped to 1.25 million in the last few years (which rather proves my point in the previous paragraph)

Basically in 2010 the lifetime allowance got you a £90,000 per year final salary pension. Under Eds plan it gets you a £50,000 a year pension, still high but, if in the next five years it goes down another 45% as it would have done between 2010-2015 if Ed wins, then it will stand at £550,000 by the end of a five year labour government or a final salary pension of £27,500.

As a political strategy it is up there with the captain breaking the teams cricket bats before sending them to the wicked (copyright Geoffery Howe) or if Kinnock had phoned CCHQ in 1991 and said "look boyos, were going to put up income tax, I think its going to go down a bomb with the electorate"

Cameron is an extraordinarly lucky PM. Against any decent opposition he would be slaughtered in 2015. However he will probably be the biggest party and possibly have a majority due to Labours ineptness.
  • Options

Is there anything that the two eds are vowing to do re lump sums from pensions. Mine is due soon and i don't want them messing vwith it

I can see them wanting to tax the 25% that can currently be taken tax free from a SIPP, but cannot see anything definite.

I have to agree with the audience member from Telford QT on Thursday who said anyone saving for a pension was being foolish because of means testing. Spend it all while young, then dump yourself on the state.

Unfortunately between the pensions raids and means testing for social care he is right. Saving for retirement is increasingly a folly.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

JackW said:

Well done old chap.

68 days of Ed, being this ineffective may well be enough to sink him. When even the people who should be his biggest cheerleaders, such as Labour uncut, are dismissive of him, he's got real problems.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

And if any of those means are aggressive then I welcome and wholeheartedly Ed chasing you down to each and every bolthole to ensure you pay up.

Also we could pass a law to ensure all those sniffily against financing graduates - for example Doctors etc - are excluded from being so served by them in order to protect their precious ideological puriTy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Same here and would mean going before it came in and so they would lose shedloads of tax. Pathetic plan that will cost money.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31668135

This is more likely to appeal to the aspirational young person who is stuck on a basic rate income or just inside the 40p band than the promise of a slightly smaller tuition fee debt.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited February 2015
    @DHerdson

Great article.

@Foxinsox

You are right.

@NPalmer

Labour really doesn't get pensions from what I can work out. It seems incapable of understanding anything that's not a taxpayer funded defined benefit scheme.

That said the Tories aren't blameless either historically, as I pointed out yesterday. However, if the politicians keep buggering about with the systems and disincentivising saving we are all courting trouble.

This latest policy is straight out of the G Brown play book. Superficially short term positive, long term dog's dinner. Just like the 1997 pensions tax still ticking away all these years later reducing people's old age income that they've saved for. Nobody got a bill for that in1997 but they are starting to pick the tab up now in the shape of smaller pension pots.
  • Options
    Doddy

"... I do not work my tail off for politicians to play with their pet projects."

And don't you find anything amiss that directors of 30 second ads get paid more than neuro surgeons and prime ministers and in some cases more than both put together? Shouldn't politicians see it as their job to iron out some of these abberations? And you're not suggesting it's all based on how hard anyone works. Are you?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2015
    Morning all. – An interesting thread, thanks once again Mr Herdson.

“there’s enough mileage for the government in the fees story itself what with richer former students benefitting most from Miliband’s message.”

Saw this mentioned a few times on PB yesterday, but only had time to skim through the threads during the day – would someone care to provide a succinct round-up as to why these former students benefit most? – ta in advance.
  • Options

earn "your money" ?

services?

Spending is theft by govt if it requires borrowing. You are extremely one eyed. Labour has added a trillion to debt as a result of their fiscalmismanagement
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited February 2015
    malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

I am just an ordinary working class boy that worked hard and paid into a final salary scheme, private sector. I am sure many like me and your post kind of sums up envious lazy leftie wanting everything for nothing losers.
    Quite. Plus it is pretty obvious that it won't stop there and further raids will follow when all the Climate Change Sexuality Monitoring Disabled Diversity Ethnic Basket Weaving Outreach Turnip Co-ordinators turn up at Downing street with their begging bowls, casting the net ever wider.

A point proved by the steady cutting of the lifetime pensions allowance from £1.8 million in 2010 to £1.25 million now and £1 million if Ed wins.
  • Options

earn "your money" ?

services?

Out of curiousity how much tax do you pay per year?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Coolagorna..Maybe you should go back to school to learn to read.I did not say I don't pay taxes..which I do and have done since starting work in 1954..I do object to seeing my hard earned dosh and that of other people being squandered by incompetent idiots in government and will therefore take every step I can to reduce their spend..It might make them think a little more
    I do not live in the UK..but still pay considerable amounts of tax there so that you and the other residents can enjoy all those goodies you listed..Enjoy..
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Months after going up with the Rick price of 7/2 and 8/1, hills have finally put the prices in the correct order for ukip seats

1-2 7/2
    3-4 11/4
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Ishmael_X said:

Labour more divided,
    Lib Dems less divided,

"embarking on the most extreme right wing five year term for many a year"

Cameron? Clegg? The Coalition? Extreme right wing? Hmmm.

* guffaw *
  • Options
    saddened said:

JackW said:

Well done old chap.

68 days of Ed, being this ineffective may well be enough to sink him. When even the people who should be his biggest cheerleaders, such as Labour uncut, are dismissive of him, he's got real problems.
    Isn't that already factored into Voting Intentions though, Sad?
  • Options
    Malcolmg,

"your post kind of sums up envious lazy leftie wanting everything for nothing losers."

I haven't voted Labour since 1997 - my last votes were LD, so leftie is a bit of a stretch. But I live in a solid Labour constituency and that is the general opinion, as I'm sure you know.

That's why Ed's move is sensible electorally. It may be childish envy and will unravel but he's a politician.

I'm now a NOTA. And to get my own back I'm going to say that Wee Eck looks like Mickey Mouse, so there.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Roger said:

Doddy

"... I do not work my tail off for politicians to play with their pet projects."

And don't you find anything amiss that directors of 30 second ads get paid more than neuro surgeons and prime ministers and in some cases more than both put together? Shouldn't politicians see it as their job to iron out some of these abberations? And you're not suggesting it's all based on how hard anyone works. Are you?

Roger, nobody makes you take these obscene amounts of cash.

Just do it for the minimum wage and enjoy a clear consience.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JohnRentoul: Tuition fees: @emranmian was the senior civil servant who worked on them, & he says EdM's policy is bad @TheStaggers http://t.co/6Jrci4vFoo
  • Options
    Is it just me who as a student under the last Labour government is fed up of hearing pure poppycock from Labour and their supporters over the Lib Dems? Lets not forget who introduced tuition fees, nor their background.

It was Labour in 1997 who were elected with a promise not to introduce tuition fees who then immediately introduced tuition fees and started this off.
    Then it became what was then called "top-up fees" and it was Labour who in 2001 said in their manifesto that they were "against top-up fees and have legislated against them" - only to almost immediately after being re-elected implement them creating the £3000 fees. Oh and of course that vote was lost on English-only MPs. It was Scottish Labour MPs who created the majority.
    Finally then it was Peter Mandelson and Labour who commissioned the report that recommended £9,000 fees. It is fairly obvious from history what would have happened had Labour been re-elected.

Yes the Lib-Dem minority went back on their pledges. No more than the Labour majorities have time and again. The notion that Labour is a friend of the student is absurd.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Roger If you don't like what you do for a living then pack it in or change it..I believe there are still some vacancies for street cleaners in Cuba.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: Tuition fees: @emranmian was the senior civil servant who worked on them, & he says EdM's policy is bad @TheStaggers http://t.co/6Jrci4vFoo

I'm amazed anyone will confess to having "worked" of the current scheme.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Roger If you don't like what you do for a living then pack it in or change it..I believe there are still some vacancies for street cleaners in Cuba.

I can recommend street cleaning, you get a great sense of personal satisfaction when you see a nice clean road.
  • Options
    Alanbrooke

"Roger, nobody makes you take these obscene amounts of cash.

Just do it for the minimum wage and enjoy a clear consience."

I was just testing whether Doddy's distaste for overpaid directors of TV commercials was greater than his distaste for paying tax. But to answer your question society's ills are not solved by futile gestures.
  • Options
    Alanbrooke But then it can become obsessive..shouting at people who drop litter..patrolling the streets during the night..etc.lotsa fresh air tho.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:

JackW said:

Well done old chap.

Isn't that already factored into Voting Intentions though, Sad?
    I'm not sure it is. There's a world of difference between the concept of Ed, PM, and the cold blooded act of trudging down to the polling place and in the privacy of the booth actually making a conscious decision to mark your cross and make it happen.

I'm very biased against him, but even I am surprised at the level of contempt shown by people when he is spoken about. He suffers from the same issue as Kinnock did, he's just not seen as prime minister material.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Alanbrooke

I was just testing whether Doddy's distaste for overpaid directors of TV commercials was greater than his distaste for paying tax. But to answer your question society's ills are not solved by futile gestures.

Futile gestures are fine roger so long as its not you eh.... that's why lefties are so hypocritical
  • Options
    Roger said:

Alanbrooke

"society's ills are not solved by futile gestures"

well that's the Labour party written off then, can I put you down as an Elmbridge Tory ?

• Options
    Roger.. I have no problem with the amount anyone earns..It is my opinion that they should get to keep most of it and protest loud and long, even tho it might be futile, when they see it being wasted.
  • Options
    Of course, the richest (former) students will be losing their pension tax perks so will, in fact, be paying out a lot more than the less well off ones.
  • Options

Alanbrooke But then it can become obsessive..shouting at people who drop litter..patrolling the streets during the night..etc.lotsa fresh air tho.

yes but sitting on a bench with a 2 litre bottle of Diamond White provides the cover you need for that.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    If PBTories really think voters are going to study the detail of the long term impact of this proposal their political antennae are more skewed than I thought.

Young people will see REDUCTION IN TUITION FEES and that's about it. Nothing Martin Lewis says (and He's technically right though wrong on overarching mess the system is in) is going to change that.

Rich people whining about the tightening of the lifetime restriction on pension earnings will be laughed at. And rightly so.

Yes its electioneering, this is an election campaign we're in after all. And the proposals are no less realistic than Osborne's 'running a surplus' fantasy. In fact Eds proposal is far more feasible.
This discussion has been closed.