Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reshuffle talk

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Plato said:
    Plato, where have you been lately ? Canvassing for UKIP ?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Darling could, and perhaps should have been a candidate for next PM. However he plainly lied, and has continued to lie, with regards to his relationship with Brown. He's played politics above honesty, and everyone knows. As such he isn't a credible candidate.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    If Mr. Putney is about, I'd like to advert your attention to http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/ I would've replied directly on pb2, but the discussion thread there can't be commented on anymore.

Got a few potential bets in mind for the race, which is expected to be dry.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Image matters.

Mitchell no, Fox no. They would know this if they had an iota of sense or understanding of what narrative plays well and which one (hint: OE) doesn't. But they don't so if there is a reshuffle it's fasten seatbelt time.

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22781146

You just can't keep them out !
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Former Tory leader Annabel Goldie said: “I understand Alistair attending the Conservative conference is a bit like me leading the Bolshoi ballet: unexpected."

A sense of humour! I thought that had been banned decided sub-optimal to the serious debate in Scotland?

@CarlottaVance One thing we Scots Tories have never lost is our sense of humour. :) If they ever tried to ban having a sense of humour up here in Scotland, the Tartan army would have to disband. Although it was great to see them actually able to celebrate a Scottish win against Croatia last night.

That was great as it was unexpected and a bit too late !
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    Carlotta: I'll say one thing for the No campaign. Whoever among their ranks it was who suggested it would be helpful for Darling to go to the Tory conference has clearly got a splendid sense of humour.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    IMF admits mistakes were made over Greece bailout. EU refuses to admit any blame and lashes out at the criticism:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/405595/European-Union-EU-clash-with-IMF-over-mistakes-in-Greece-bailout
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

I know you're dieing to tell us "Alex Salmond's Greatest Jokes, Rib-tickling Rejoinders and Pithy Put Downs"

If he becomes a has-been, failed politician hanging out at a sparsely attended, irrelevant political conference, then I might be reduced to such consolations.
  • Options
    Canada-EU trade deal further delayed, despite plans to have signed it by the end of 2012:

http://o.canada.com/2013/06/07/pressure-is-on-europe-bound-stephen-harper-as-canada-eu-trade-deal-remains-elusive/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Mitchell and Fox have both had their turns, especially the latter. The priority should be to reward talent and media friendliness amongst the 2010 intake giving able people more chances to speak to the media.

Clearly there should be a number of women promoted in this capacity and more "normal" voices who sound more like the rest of the population. Cameron has yet to find his John Reid who was Secretary of State for Today and, to a lesser extent, Drive. It is an important omission.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2013

Carlotta: I'll say one thing for the No campaign. Whoever among their ranks it was who suggested it would be helpful for Darling to go to the Tory conference has clearly got a splendid sense of humour.

Why ? Aren't Scottish tories " proper " Scots , like you ?

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Well thank goodness for that: the eurozone crisis is over: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10107743/Eurozone-crisis-is-over-declares-French-president-Hollan

Hollande is truly, deeply delusional. Military coups are bad things and democracy is a good thing but boy, France have selected a doozie. No wonder Miliband was delighted. With a bar as low as this the risk of being the most incompetent leader in Europe are much reduced.
  • Options
    Three men arrested for a child grooming ring connected to a guesthouse in Oxford:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10469807.Three_arrested_in_raid_on_notorious_guest_house/
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Socrates said:

Yet again, another ridiculous waste of police and judiciary time for a silly tweet:

Quite. Offensive it may be (I'll happily hold up my hand to being offended, I don't buy her story about referring to the design of the T-shirt) but a crime it should not be.

"Chairman of the bench, Nigel Orton, told her ... 'We accept you didn't intend to cause harm and you felt it was a joke.'"

What ever happened to mens rea?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Three men arrested for a child grooming ring connected to a guesthouse in Oxford:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10469807.Three_arrested_in_raid_on_notorious_guest_house/

More than 60 police officers to arrest an 81 year old and his 2 middle aged sons? It's not like that in Morse.
  • Options
    Mr. L, some say Francois Hollande is French for George W. Bush.
  • Options
    Betting markets haven't got going really. I was glancing at the winner odds and one bet I might not have considered rather jumped out at me... hmm.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited June 2013
    Just watched England U-21's,if that's our future,I fear for the future of England football teams.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2013
    @Surbiton

Latvia's decision to adopt the Euro from 2014 is neither a vote of confidence in the stability or sustainability of the Eurozone nor a reward for Latvia's compliance with the Euro issuing compliance rules.

It is predominantly a pitch to attract deposits from the core Slavic countries of the FSU to the Latvian banking system and to compete with Cyprus as an 'offshore' banking centre for non-EU Russian speaking enterprise.

Whereas all the Baltics have Teutonic links deriving from their Hanseatic their history, Latvia more than the others has remained linked to Moscow. Over 30% of Latvia's population are of Russian, Ukrainian or Belarussian origin compared to, say, 7% in Lithuania.

However, Latvia lacks four great draws of Cyprus: its Mediterranean weather; its legal system and independence (a legacy from Britain); its historical detachment from Russian and 'Russian mafia' rule; and the absence of a double taxation treaty favourable to Russian tax avoiders.

There is no doubt that Russian money has flown from Cyprus to Latvia as a result of the Cypriot banking crisis but Riga may well only be a temporary refuge. Putin wants the business back in Moscow and the account holders may want it further away from Putin's grasp.

The ECB at least recognises the risk to the Latvian economy of following the Cypriot banking model. The last paragraph of the BBC article has a telling quote from an ECB spokesman:

"The reliance by a significant part of the banking sector on non-resident deposits as a source of funding, while not a recent phenomenon, is again on the rise and represents an important risk to financial stability."

Maybe the EU would have been better sorting out the core problems of the Eurozone before adding to its short term risk by allowing Latvia in too early.
  • Options

Just watched England U-21's,if that's our future,I fear for the future of England football teams.

The future is already evident in the Premier League. Just because they are paid well, does not mean they play well !
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    SeanT said:
    That looks brilliant. Is it open to us ordinary plebs?

I was lucky enough to go to the top of Canary Wharf Tower in 1991 or 1992, just before it was closed to the public due to terrorism. That was quite an awesome experience as there were (compared to now) few other tall buildings in London.

Oh, if London was built on rock instead of clay...

I also walked through Tower Bridge's high-level walkways during its centennial celebrations (I believe these are open routinely now?). And I walked in the Limehouse Link tunnel during its construction.

I don't mention the sewage tunnel in South Devon much. That wasn't quite as (ahem) sexy.

There's a strange building being built near St Pauls that we saw on a walk a few months ago. It looks as though it bulges out in the middle, which is quite disconcerting compared to the vertical faces of the surrounding buildings.

We ought to make more of the great engineering and engineers that we have in this country.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I also walked through Tower Bridge's high-level walkways during its centennial celebrations (I believe these are open routinely now?).

Yes, some of the best views in London and the whole thing is one of my favourite places to take guests when they're visiting.
  • Options
    Hmm.

Could someone who each way bets confirm I've understood how it works? I can't decide if Ladbrokes have a discrepancy, or if I'm suffering from dehydration-induced idiocy.

Raikkonen is 20/1 to win. His each way odds are 1/5 of his to-win odds (presumably 4/1).

But his podium finish odds are 7/4. Less than 2/1. Isn't that a significant difference? Or have I read it entirely wrong?
  • Options

Hmm.

Could someone who each way bets confirm I've understood how it works? I can't decide if Ladbrokes have a discrepancy, or if I'm suffering from dehydration-induced idiocy.

Raikkonen is 20/1 to win. His each way odds are 1/5 of his to-win odds (presumably 4/1).

But his podium finish odds are 7/4. Less than 2/1. Isn't that a significant difference? Or have I read it entirely wrong?

Each way is a combination bet - so half of your stake is on the win and half on the place. So the relationship between an each way price and a podium price isn't fixed. There is however a fixed relationship between the outright win price, the each way price and the podium price. Bookmakers generally use some fraction, like 1/5th, but in extreme cases this can leave them liable to substantial mis-pricing. Suppose for example that there's a total certaintly for the race an Raikkonen was 100/1 to win, but suppose further that he was the only plausible other competitior - then surely he's almost nailed on to be on the podium but almost certain not to win... in such cirumstances you won't be offered 1/5th of his 1000/1 win odds each way.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

however I'd still have been very satisfied if I paid the pricey £25 each

When the thrillers get turned into blockbuster movies you can pay 100 for immediate entry on the day.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

I know you're dieing to tell us "Alex Salmond's Greatest Jokes, Rib-tickling Rejoinders and Pithy Put Downs"

If he becomes a has-been, failed politician hanging out at a sparsely attended, irrelevant political conference, then I might be reduced to such consolations.
    September 2014 it is then!

• Options

Thanks for taking 55 of your precious minutes to polish that one up.
    I refer you back to my answer of 7.21pm
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The future is already evident in the Premier League. Just because they are paid well, does not mean they play well !
    The FA are the most incompetent bunch of amateur old boys scratching each other's backs and running England's national team into the ground. I'm not one for government intervention usually, but this is a case where I think it's needed.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I was lucky enough to go to the top of Canary Wharf Tower in 1991 or 1992, just before it was closed to the public due to terrorism. That was quite an awesome experience as there were (compared to now) few other tall buildings in London.

I also walked through Tower Bridge's high-level walkways during its centennial celebrations (I believe these are open routinely now?). And I walked in the Limehouse Link tunnel during its construction.

I don't mention the sewage tunnel in South Devon much. That wasn't quite as (ahem) sexy.

There's a strange building being built near St Pauls that we saw on a walk a few months ago. It looks as though it bulges out in the middle, which is quite disconcerting compared to the vertical faces of the surrounding buildings.

We ought to make more of the great engineering and engineers that we have in this country.
    Yes, it's totally open to the public, but you have to book ahead, and it's so popular it's selling out. I got a freebie cause I am writing about travel in London - took the family - however I'd still have been very satisfied if I paid the pricey £25 each.

It is stunning, just amazing. It also underlines what an extraordinary city London is becoming: full of wild modern architecture. I took some pix as I walked home.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343397752023175169/photo/1

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343400959201910785/photo/1

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343404419599179777/photo/1

The bulgy building you refer to is, I suspect, the Walkie Talkie on Fenchurch St, here:

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343399052685242368/photo/1

I wasn't sure at first, but now I like it. However the Shard remains supreme, the best new building in London in my lifetime. The best new skyscraper anywhere in the world this century.

I thought you were meant to be off to Tuscany to stay with the Machiavellis.

• Options
    Mr. Omnium, thanks for that reply.

So a £10 bet would really be two £5 bets at 20/1 for the win and 4/1 for a podium?
  • Options
    Oh, and I'll do the pre-race piece tomorrow rather than today.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

surbiton said:

The FA are the most incompetent bunch of amateur old boys scratching each other's backs and running England's national team into the ground. I'm not one for government intervention usually, but this is a case where I think it's needed.
    You are surely not saying send in the Marines !
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I went up the Shard today.

That is not news. The Shard went up yours. Now, that is news !

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Just back from Shanghai (12-hour flight, yawn) to find Broxtowe selection has officially started (ends Aug 3), so we've switched on the campaign website, which if anyone is curious is here:

http://www.nickpalmer.org.uk/re-selection/

My opponents don't seem to have theirs up yet, but no doubt will soon: they are likely to be better-financed than me, but I've got a good start. Something that strikes me comparing with would-be PPCs elsewhere is that I'm unusual in rabbiting on about policy - nearly everyone says they're wonderful campaigners and will work day and night for the cause, but they're vague on what they think the cause is.

Shanghai was curious, less homogenous than Beijing - one part extremely futuristic like Alphaville, one part vibrant but a bit tatty, and some bits pretty seedy. I had a cheap deal at the Hilton, which is on a street where one side is all hotels and banks and the other is all bars and prostitutes - I was approached 7 times by women (er, I think) and once by a bloke in the course of a 5-minute stroll.
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/08/nsa-boundless-informant-global-datamining#_

The orange and red countries are the main suspects ! Surprisingly, India is orange and Bangladesh isn't. Pakistan and Iran are red hot !
  • Options
    @MD

Yep. Sometimes e/w bets may include more than just the top 3, or (quite rarely) less. It's pretty easy to write down the relationships between the bets, and then you can solve the resultant simultaneous equations using a little bit of matrix algebra if you're flash, or simple graft if you're not.

Your example is an interesting example of apparent discrepancy. But if we suppose that the true chance of Raikonnen getting a podium is 20% and his true chance of winning is say 1% then is you get each way you're getting the fair price on half of your bet, and a muppet price on the win part - whereas if you bet on just the podium you're getting an all round poor price.

People try to, and do, make money out of this sort of anomaly, but they get closed down quite swiftly.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer

Good luck - I suspect that Broxtowe CLP members know what's best for them ;)
  • Options

Just back from Shanghai (12-hour flight, yawn) to find Broxtowe selection has officially started (ends Aug 3), so we've switched on the campaign website, which if anyone is curious is here:

My opponents don't seem to have theirs up yet, but no doubt will soon: they are likely to be better-financed than me, but I've got a good start. Something that strikes me comparing with would-be PPCs elsewhere is that I'm unusual in rabbiting on about policy - nearly everyone says they're wonderful campaigners and will work day and night for the cause, but they're vague on what they think the cause is.

Shanghai was curious, less homogenous than Beijing - one part extremely futuristic like Alphaville, one part vibrant but a bit tatty, and some bits pretty seedy. I had a cheap deal at the Hilton, which is on a street where one side is all hotels and banks and the other is all bars and prostitutes - I was approached 7 times by women (er, I think) and once by a bloke in the course of a 5-minute stroll.

I take it you stayed in Pushi. I was there last October and will be there again this October. In fact, had dinner in the same street where the Communist Party's first congress was held. A tiny building, may I add.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes, it's totally open to the public, but you have to book ahead, and it's so popular it's selling out. I got a freebie cause I am writing about travel in London - took the family - however I'd still have been very satisfied if I paid the pricey £25 each.

It is stunning, just amazing. It also underlines what an extraordinary city London is becoming: full of wild modern architecture. I took some pix as I walked home.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343397752023175169/photo/1

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343400959201910785/photo/1

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343404419599179777/photo/1

The bulgy building you refer to is, I suspect, the Walkie Talkie on Fenchurch St, here:

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343399052685242368/photo/1

I wasn't sure at first, but now I like it. However the Shard remains supreme, the best new building in London in my lifetime. The best new skyscraper anywhere in the world this century.

Sean> I agree that the Shard is excellent. It makes Canary Wharf Tower (which I love) seem rather frumpy and ordinary. I'm not really a worldwide traveller so I cannot say how well it compares to (say) the Burj Khalifa, but it is a welcome addition to South London. Others may differ.

And yes, the bulgy-building does appear to be the walkie-talkie. We first saw it through a narrow side street, and the visible section of curved frontage gave me goose pimples. They must have some rather nice computers to work out all the stresses on a building of that shape - 'ordinary' ones are much easier (thinks: unless it has a traditional skeleton inside, and the bulging floors are essentially non-structural).

Neil> Thanks. I'll have to take Mrs J across the bridge and bore her with talk about how it was constructed (she is more used to shuffling electrons than girders).
  • Options

Thanks for taking 55 of your precious minutes to polish that one up.
    I refer you back to my answer of 7.21pm
    Nothing quite like the SNP sense of humour!

Or not.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Good luck although I suspect we do not see eye to eye on everything. I like the fact that your website is not "gimmicky".

• Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    @NickPalmer

Whilst you and I fail to see eye to eye on many subjects I do wish you luck on the reselection. While not a fan of those on your side of the political debate I do respect you for your willingness to engage in debate
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Nick Palmer is the only serving MP I've met (at the PB bash a few weeks before the General Election), so best of luck in your re-selection attempt, Nick!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2013
    surbiton said:

I take it you stayed in Pushi. I was there last October and will be there again this October. In fact, had dinner in the same street where the Communist Party's first congress was held. A tiny building, may I add.

Good evening all. Bit under the weather this weekend, thats what i get for going out without a jacket thinking it was a normal warm June day.

I think that you have a very good chance of being reselected, Nick. I have read your blog and it should sway the true believers to your cause. There is also every chance that that you will be re-elected to the seat, especially - even if I do say it myself - there is a UKIP candidate standing.

Hope you travelled business class; 12 hours in 2nd class is murder; all cramped up.
  • Options

My opponents don't seem to have theirs up yet, but no doubt will soon: they are likely to be better-financed than me.

Why would they be better financed?

I commend your principled stand - tho I wouldn't hold my breath on the two Eds backing this as a priority

"A commitment to reverse the worst benefit cuts early in the Parliament (the bedroom tax is the obvious candidate) "

I remember from my visits to China - Beijing was always slightly wary of Shanghai "the revolution started in Shanghai!" - and also how the Bund reminded me of Liverpool - but then again, we built both!

Good luck with your selection.
  • Options

Good luck although I suspect we do not see eye to eye on everything. I like the fact that your website is not "gimmicky".

I agree - simple & easy to navigate - good balance between content & simplicity.

• Options
    @MD, Postscript
    By the way, although that sort of question seems simple and something that everyone (who bets) should know, the detail is mastered by very few. The vast majority of bookmakers for example wouldn't be able to really nail the relationship. The big firms employ the odd person or two in their staff that can, but it's really quite surprising that an industry can have prospered for so long without really understanding their own business properly.

• Options

Nothing quite like the SNP sense of humour!

Or not.

Since you share the 'broad' humour of pantomime aunty Annabel, you're right, nothing like.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,995
    edited June 2013
    O/T:

The contrasting attitudes to lie detectors in the UK and US are interesting IMO:
    "In some areas of the United States and Canada, polygraph results can be submitted as evidence in court. But courts in the UK do not recognise the use of the lie detector."
    http://www.itv.com/jeremykyle/about/lie-detector/

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100173508/the-awkward-truth-about-lie-detectors/
  • Options
    Thanks for the friendly notes from all sides. I gather there are 30 applicants for Amber Valley next door after a week, so we'll see if we get lots too. Carlotta on welfare cut reversal - well, I'm getting bolshier in every sense as I get older, and if the Eds refuse to reverse anything I'll be doing some early revolts. Finance - some candidates will probably have union backing and I happen to know one or two others are quite well off. Not sure how much it will turn out to matter though - we all get to send three letters and beyond that it's fancy stuff like videos which I'm not sure really make a difference.

Mike - no, our animal welfare NGO donors would be pretty indignant if we travelled business class. I went China Air, which has a dreadful reputation but is very cheap, and was agreeably surprised - they just replaced their fleet with modern 777s two weeks ago, so everything was spick and span and the crew and food were fine. Just took a long translation job and the hours flew by.
  • Options
    So is the Broxtowe selection going to take place on August 3rd?
  • Options

Non-fussy and reasonable design. But you may want to put it through the disabled website accessibility test:

http://wave.webaim.org/report#/http://www.nickpalmer.org.uk/re-selection/

There are a few small errors and other items, most of which appear from a quick glance to be in the wordpress layout and widgets.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Nick - just to add that I too hope you get re-selected.

As you know I am not a Lab supporter but as others have said you always engage in a sensible, constructive way with all views. The other thing is that you always communicate extremely clearly - we know exactly what you stand for - unlike most MPs (from all parties) who provide us with far too much waffle, catchphrases and mumbo-jumbo.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I was in Shanghai in September 2010 and walking around the business district was the most futuristic experience I've ever had. You're surrounded by skyscrapers, but what makes it different to any other city is that almost all of them were clearly no more than about 10 years old, and most had obviously only just gone up in the previous couple of years or so.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited June 2013
    Tim Yeo in a Sunday Times sting apparently.

'Coming up: Tory Tim Yeo filmed boasting how he can use his climate change committee role to push private business #WestminsterforSale' sundaytimes
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Best of luck, Nick.

We need more grognard politicians.

Not sure how you reconcile opposition to private provision in the NHS with the role of successive Labour Health ministers privatising large sections of it.

In 1997 Labour promised to end the "internal market" in the NHS, but when in power vastly expanded it. I hope that you are not just repeating that lie for a new generation.
  • Options

Thanks for the friendly notes from all sides.

Nitpick territory - but I'd look at the order of your "links" - not sure Broxtowe Labour at #10 is necessarily what you wish to convey...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Andy_JS said:

The different attitude to lie detectors in the UK and US is interesting IMO:

I was on a team of a Royal Navy study into lie detector technology about a decade ago. Doubtless the technology and technique has evolved a lot since. Back then though, by the end of our tests (and a lot of practice) a few of us were able to fool the system reasonably consistently.

I emphasise 'practice' though, and use of some tricks and techniques. If you're not coached you won't do it through luck or willpower. The skill of the interrogator is a big factor too.

• Options
    Carola said:

Tim Yeo in a Sunday Times sting apparently.

'Coming up: Tory Tim Yeo filmed boasting how he can use his climate change committee role to push private business #WestminsterforSale' sundaytimes

Couldn't happen to a nicer trougher guy!

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Other religious denominations have held services in it. An RC mass was celebrated when Anne Widdecombe of all people became a Dame of the Papal Order of St Gregory.

iow-chs.org/eventsreports.php
    MikeL said:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

So is the Broxtowe selection going to take place on August 3rd?

That's right - about a week after Amber Valley. And thanks MikeL and for the tip JJ.

Shanghai - yes, another feautre of China's leap into the 21st century is that in the interior nearly everyone is on their very first car, making driving an...exciting...experience.

I was at a conference on cosmetics regulation (animal tests etc.) and was impressed by the frank self-criticism of the Government agency speaker there - too much bureaucracy, legacy of over-centralised system, etc. My interpreter, a CP member, was scathing about Chairman Mao. Others here will kniow more but my general impression is that the regime is relaxed about people describing different aspects of society as appalling, so long as people don't puts the dots together and criticise the government as a whole - and on the whole things have improved so fast that most Chinese aren't especially inclined to criticise the regime en bloc. I was told that people are now entirely relaxed about Taiwan, but there is real anti-Japanese feeling, more intense than the government finds entirely comfortable and going down to routine vandalism of Japanese cars.
  • Options
    Carlotta: um, yes, good point. Thanks!

Fox: as an MP the extent of Tony's commitment to expanding the internal market only gradually dawned on me slowly, and it wasn't until I read his book after 2010 that I relised that he actually saw it aas a central goal. So it's something I regret going along with, and although I can't speak for anyone but myself, I'm not available for further extensions.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Carola said:

Tim Yeo in a Sunday Times sting apparently

Unsurprising. Most of the self-styled eco-warriors who have outgrown knitting their own lunch are primarily motivated by how much money they can make out of the whole scam. The green movement one of the biggest deceptions of our time.

I wonder, though, whether the press are straying over the line of targeting individuals without prior evidence of wrongdoing? Is it ethical to use deep pockets to just keep plugging your way down a list until you hit paydirt?

How many MPs have been approached using methods of entrapment that the Police are banned from using for a reason? For each let's-give-him-a-go-next we don't hear about the 20 who turn them down? Or is it 100? or is it 5? With bad apples it's relevant to know how big the orchard is.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Fox noooo!!!! So, MBoy may well be right.....

Pickles should spend more time in front of TV cameras to counter the posh boy meme, not sure the Chief Whip would allow that.....

Damian Green, on the left of the party is an underused talent....(also good on TV)...and not too posh...

Mitchell should get something.

Its all very well having 'women' - but if these individuals are not up to the job, let 'em go....

Agree on Andrea Leadsom...

Meanwhile, latest 'Better Together' video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWBBwz2YHzg&feature=player_embedded

I look forward to the SNP rebuttal 'Join the SDF - and see the Clyde'....

better to see the Clyude than waste your time in Iraq and Afghanistan proppping up nasty regimes so London can get access to oil and try to kid on they are a powerful nation rather than useless.
  • Options
    davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165

Thanks for the friendly notes from all sides. I gather there are 30 applicants for Amber Valley next door after a week, so we'll see if we get lots too. Carlotta on welfare cut reversal - well, I'm getting bolshier in every sense as I get older, and if the Eds refuse to reverse anything I'll be doing some early revolts. Finance - some candidates will probably have union backing and I happen to know one or two others are quite well off. Not sure how much it will turn out to matter though - we all get to send three letters and beyond that it's fancy stuff like videos which I'm not sure really make a difference.

Mike - no, our animal welfare NGO donors would be pretty indignant if we travelled business class. I went China Air, which has a dreadful reputation but is very cheap, and was agreeably surprised - they just replaced their fleet with modern 777s two weeks ago, so everything was spick and span and the crew and food were fine. Just took a long translation job and the hours flew by.

Mr Palmer. I must admit that I have been gradually coming round to the view that you are a top bloke. Your views on animal welfare are especially refreshing and I must admit that I'd be tempted to vote for you if I was on your local electoral register.

However, and this is a big but, you really blotted your copybook by giving us a running commentary of the time you spent on the doorstep campaigning for Ken Livingstone in the last Mayoral election. I'm sure, being the sane and sensible person you seem to be, you are now prepared to state for the record that was the biggest mistake of your whole life, and if you had a time machine you would go back and drop a heavy object on him as redemption for your sins!

Are you related to your namesakes David and Wayne by the way? You should try that out on a few voters, see how many buy it-bet there are a few who would.
  • Options
    o/t Ireland's Constitutional Convention is discussing voting systems (potentially moving away from STV) this weekend. For all those pb-ers who are wetting themselves at the thought of this debate the proceeding are being streamed on the internet!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    fitalass said:

Definitely not a headline I ever expected to see..... :)
    The Scotsman - Scots Tories give Alistair Darling standing ovation

"LABOUR MP Alistair Darling has received a standing ovation at Scottish Conservative Party conference at which he launched a new campaign to keep the British armed forces together.

Mr Darling, chairman of the pro-UK Better Together campaign, launched Forces Together at the Tory conference in Stirling today.

One Tory delegate asked if Mr Darling’s appearance at conference has been recorded so it can be distributed to schools.

Mr Darling said: “These things tend to stay in the archives unless they are particularly bad, but I think a standing ovation at the Conservative conference will I’m afraid be preserved.”

Former Tory leader Annabel Goldie said: “I understand Alistair attending the Conservative conference is a bit like me leading the Bolshoi ballet: unexpected."

Hard to tell them apart now, being the Tories best buddies will help Labour big time in next election.

• Options

Carlotta: um, yes, good point. Thanks!

Fox: as an MP the extent of Tony's commitment to expanding the internal market only gradually dawned on me slowly, and it wasn't until I read his book after 2010 that I relised that he actually saw it aas a central goal. So it's something I regret going along with, and although I can't speak for anyone but myself, I'm not available for further extensions.

I was fooled also, but caught on a lot quicker, and quit the party in 2003 in large part for that reason.

I am at the national commissioning show next week. Andy Burnham is closing speaker on Wednesday. It will be interesting to hear how he speaks to an audience that is in large part private companies planning to make money out of the NHS.

http://www.healthpluscare.co.uk/page.cfm/link=34
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Carola said:

Unsurprising. Most of the self-styled eco-warriors who have outgrown knitting their own lunch are primarily motivated by how much money they can make out of the whole scam. The green movement one of the biggest deceptions of our time.

I wonder, though, whether the press are straying over the line of targeting individuals without prior evidence of wrongdoing? Is it ethical to use deep pockets to just keep plugging your way down a list until you hit paydirt?

How many MPs have been approached using methods of entrapment that the Police are banned from using for a reason? For each let's-give-him-a-go-next we don't hear about the 20 who turn them down? Or is it 100? or is it 5? With bad apples it's relevant to know how big the orchard is.

A friend with more insight into this kind of thing than me says that journos get tipped off. Interesting that relatively few - I think I read somewhere - tuned in to the 'Panorama' on this the other night. I expect most folk think, 'That's news?'
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Carola said:

That would be the Tim Yeo who basically believes global warming is all our fault whilst he makes a tidy profit from wind turbine scams etc? Truly a man of high principle. He did seem to backtrack a bit recently though, maybe someone has offered him some cheap shares in a company dedicated to reopening all coal mines and bringing back leaded petrol. I hope the Times get him squirming big time.

• Options

Mr Palmer. I must admit that I have been gradually coming round to the view that you are a top bloke. Your views on animal welfare are especially refreshing and I must admit that I'd be tempted to vote for you if I was on your local electoral register.

However, and this is a big but, you really blotted your copybook by giving us a running commentary of the time you spent on the doorstep campaigning for Ken Livingstone in the last Mayoral election. I'm sure, being the sane and sensible person you seem to be, you are now prepared to state for the record that was the biggest mistake of your whole life, and if you had a time machine you would go back and drop a heavy object on him as redemption for your sins!

Are you related to your namesakes David and Wayne by the way? You should try that out on a few voters, see how many buy it-bet there are a few who would.

Thanks, David - but no, I've known Ken on and off for a long time and think he's much better than his reputation (and I'm utterly resistant to Boris's charms, also based on personal exposure). Ken's in a small group of public figures who the press really go out of their way to jump on, though he definitely needed a "careless talk costs votes" poster on his bathroom wall. I tend to be forgiving of people who say the odd dodgy thing, as I was with Patrick Mercer - we have too many people in politics who never say anything interesting at all.

Had to google David and Wayne - I bet there are people who think we're ALL fictional. Or wish we were.

• Options
    2010ers?

'Senior sources predict he will offer key posts to Liz Truss, 37, Nicky Morgan, 40, Karen Bradley, 43, and Sajid Javid, 43, as he looks to freshen up his top team.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10108262/David-Cameron-to-promote-Tory-stars-of-2010-in-reshuffle.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Incidentally, I see Ladbrokes have pulled the constituency betting for everywhere except Brighton Pavilion - wworried about too much local expertise? Bringing back the Broxtowe market might tempt some (last seen at 1-2 Lab, 6-4 Con, I think).
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

I was at a conference on cosmetics regulation (animal tests etc.) .

Never really understood that, surely anything anyone would even vaguely consider as a cosmetic (Aloe vera and cold cream and such) is unlikely to eat through a laboratory animal's flesh and corrode its bones like concentrated acid? Whereas new anti-cancer chemotherapy chemicals might do exactly that. Is there any truth in the speculation that the war over cosmetics is a phony war being fought because the war over medicine testing is just too difficult?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583

Incidentally, I see Ladbrokes have pulled the constituency betting for everywhere except Brighton Pavilion - wworried about too much local expertise? Bringing back the Broxtowe market might tempt some (last seen at 1-2 Lab, 6-4 Con, I think).

They haven't pulled it, it's just Ladbrokes' website being very shite and difficult to navigate.

Currents odds are Labour 1/3, Cons 11/4, UKIP 33/1

http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/Politics/UK-General-Election/Next-General-Election-Constituency-Betting-N-1z141lkZ1z13ya1Z1z13y9s/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @NickPalmer - Before I forget, best of luck with the Broxtowe selection.

I'll try and run a thread about why Broxtowe CLP should select you either tomorrow or Monday

Something on the lines of "If in 2010, nationwide Labour experienced the same swing that Nick Palmer had in Broxtowe, Gordon Brown will still be PM"

You can say, that the much respected and influential Politicalbetting.com says they should pick you.
  • Options

Thanks, David - but no, I've known Ken on and off for a long time and think he's much better than his reputation (and I'm utterly resistant to Boris's charms, also based on personal exposure). Ken's in a small group of public figures who the press really go out of their way to jump on, though he definitely needed a "careless talk costs votes" poster on his bathroom wall. I tend to be forgiving of people who say the odd dodgy thing, as I was with Patrick Mercer - we have too many people in politics who never say anything interesting at all.

Had to google David and Wayne - I bet there are people who think we're ALL fictional. Or wish we were.

Your glorious leader must be fictional. Based on the little known comic book hero 'Superdork'. The cartoon character who went round door to door spouting nonsensical phrases such as 'One nation' and 'Hand over your winter fuel payments or else!'. Well known for leaving blank sheets of paper with those he met saying 'Don't call me, I have nothing to say on the matter'.

The last issue of his comic featured a futuristic adventure set in 2015 when his true identity was exposed to the world and everyone laughed their arses off, 'What the hell are you on about Superdork? We don't need your sort round here'.

Superdork then retired to Bali where he spent his remaining years crying every time an environmentalist came by to thank him for putting up their electricity bill 300%.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The Sunday Times are releasing excerpts from the Tim Yeo story.

1) I think it's a very bad story,

2) I think he'll have to resign as chairman of the committee

3) Possibly parliament

4) It has the potential to drag in ministers, assuming he wasn't boasting.
  • Options

2) I think he'll half to resign as chairman of the committee

3) Possibly parliament

Libdem or Tory Ministers or both?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

3) Possibly parliament

Unsure, I'd assume Tories, he has said

Almost anyone you needed to get hold of in this country, I can help you do that"

and

I've got a very close relationship with all the key players in government, I can certainly provide introductions
  • Options
    James Tapsfield ‏@JamesTapsfield 1h

Tory backbencher Andrew Bridgen confirms in MoS that he's written to '22 asking for no confidence vote in Cameron
  • Options

3) Possibly parliament

I can't get over all the MPs and Lords who are coming forward to tell the press and public how someone had tried to bribe them for influence. I mean there must be some innocent ones surely. Are they all on a scam one way or another?

First expenses, now bungs all round. Next will be that sweet inflation busting payrise they vote for themselves, being the underpaid honest hardworking pros they all are. Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him?
  • Options

3) Possibly parliament

I can't get over all the MPs and Lords who are coming forward to tell the press and public how someone had tried to bribe them for influence. I mean there must be some innocent ones surely. Are they all on a scam one way or another?

First expenses, now bungs all round. Next will be that sweet inflation busting payrise they vote for themselves, being the underpaid honest hardworking pros they all are. Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him?
    Indeed, it's just another year in the lives of our corrupt political classes.
  • Options

James Tapsfield ‏@JamesTapsfield 1h

Tory backbencher Andrew Bridgen confirms in MoS that he's written to '22 asking for no confidence vote in Cameron

One with not much to lose in a marginal seat and a job to go back to. There was quite a big kipper vote in the locals in his constituency, perhaps in part HS2 related, as it will pass through the constituency, and in a tunnel under East Midlands airport, but has no stop. all the downside none of the upside.

I suppose he will not be a favorite for promotion now, despite being the sort of state schooled entrepreneur that the Tories should cultivate. His own fault I suppose for building a business rather than playing PPE and SPAD.
  • Options
    No wonder the Scots want to leave the corrupt banana republic style state that the UK is becoming.

1). Call plod.
    2). Arrest the troughing parasites.
    3). Lock 'em up for 10-20 on bread and water as a deterrent to others.

These buggers should be held to the highest of standards. It's a different universe they inhabit.
  • Options
    Presuming that Nadine has written a letter too does restoring the whip to her bring the prospect of a confidence vote closer than if she remained outside the fold?!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Neil said:

o/t Ireland's Constitutional Convention is discussing voting systems (potentially moving away from STV) this weekend. For all those pb-ers who are wetting themselves at the thought of this debate the proceeding are being streamed on the internet!

I had to bite on this. I'm a big fan of STV, I am surprised it has less support than it does as a UK voting system (and know it almost became ours, long ago!). What might the Irish model be moving towards, and why?
  • Options
    Anti-gay marriage rebel in bid to oust Cameron claiming PM has lost 'credibility'

Andrew Bridgen calls on party to 'no confidence' Cameron

'We could lose the next election with Cameron in charge' he says

Cameron blamed for fuelling the rise of UKIP

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2338157/Anti-gay-marriage-rebel-bid-oust-Cameron-claiming-PM-lost-credibility.html#ixzz2VfNZ1OEN
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

3) Possibly parliament

Seven grand a day. Jeez.
  • Options
    Note to self, never write threads at 5.30am, I should have come up with a better headline than "Reshuffle talk"
  • Options
    Carola said:

3) Possibly parliament

Seven grand a day. Jeez.
    I'd be asking for a refund.
  • Options

What might the Irish model be moving towards, and why?

I believe mixed member systems (along the lines of the German system) are on the agenda. I've not been following the debate very closely but the biggest complaint with STV in Ireland is the tendency towards clientalism - looking after your constituency seems to matter more than good government. I doubt the system will change though.
  • Options
    Neil said:

What might the Irish model be moving towards, and why?

I believe mixed member systems (along the lines of the German system) are on the agenda. I've not been following the debate very closely but the biggest complaint with STV in Ireland is the tendency towards clientalism - looking after your constituency seems to matter more than good government. I doubt the system will change though.
    Where's this link so I can view the constitutional convention?
This discussion has been closed.