Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s no clear picture in England where 532 of the 650 We

124»

Comments

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Richard_Nabavi
    DC's brother?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,925
    edited February 2015
    ISAM

"What's the speed limit under sharia law?"

LOL!!!!
  • Options

@robfordmancs: 7% of non-Muslims say they think Islamic extremism sometimes justifiable (no lower than Muslims). https://www.academia.edu/2020769/Measuring_support_for_terrorism_a_survey_experiment_and_an_attempt_at_a_comparison

So there are lots more IS/AQ sympathisers in the UK who are non-Muslim than there are who are Muslim?

As per the article I linked to yesterday, I am going to seize upon this convenient fact so as to be able to not think about the other facts that contradict my preconceived opinions and make me feel uncomfortable...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, an interesting finding. Apologists abound, it would seem.

I wonder if the figure (for either group) would vary significantly if specific examples were referred to in the question.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited February 2015

Indigo said:

You are right, the question was about ALWAYS obeying British law.

So, do you always obey British law?

Every single one, how about you ?
    How on earth could you know that? Just British tax legislation is far too long and complicated for anyone to know if they're in compliance with it.

See this famous video. This is about US law, but UK law is no different, especially when you include the EU dimension. Start at 5:20 and watch at least until he gets to the bit about possessing a fish.
    /www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc#t=320
    Because I don't live in the UK and I don't break the few laws for which the UK claims extra-territorial jurisdiction ;)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sir Peter Tapsell nails it - boom !
  • Options

@robfordmancs: 7% of non-Muslims say they think Islamic extremism sometimes justifiable (no lower than Muslims). https://www.academia.edu/2020769/Measuring_support_for_terrorism_a_survey_experiment_and_an_attempt_at_a_comparison

I'd lost this link - many thanks. It's an excellent piece of work.

In order to decide whether Moslems (or any other group) have more or less extremist views you need to have measurements to compare against.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    DC's brother?

DC's brother is a barrister. As far as I know he's not a donor, and certainly not a big one. Apart from that, good point.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2015

dr_spyn said:

Cameron's examples were odd, how many MPs are running shops, small businesses. There are MPs who are still at The Bar, but in many ways it was excruciating stuff. But is the no second jobs an excuse for pushing up the wages of MPs?

Exactly..

Wife and I had a similar conversation last night.
    I say fine, ban 2nd jobs but hike up salary by x2 (or more).

Find a way of proving that they're actually working for that extra cash and not simply lounging around in Westminster. Far too many MP's seem to be doing remarkably little, bar turning up to vote like nodding dogs when Whipped. And cut the numbers from 650.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tapsell warns that without 2nd jobs MPs will be "obsessive crackpots and those not employable anywhere else". Indeed.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    This must be the worst PMQs I have watched in years. A number of MPs appear to have a second job looking at the images of a colonoscope.
  • Options

So there are lots more IS/AQ sympathisers in the UK who are non-Muslim than there are who are Muslim?

As per the article I linked to yesterday, I am going to seize upon this convenient fact so as to be able to not think about the other facts that contradict my preconceived opinions and make me feel uncomfortable...

What it means is that in the Moslem and non-Moslem population there is a minority of scumbags who believe that violence and murder are acceptable ways to further their aims.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2015

dr_spyn said:

Cameron's examples were odd, how many MPs are running shops, small businesses. There are MPs who are still at The Bar, but in many ways it was excruciating stuff. But is the no second jobs an excuse for pushing up the wages of MPs?

Exactly..

Find a way of proving that they're actually working for that extra cash and not simply lounging around in Westminster. Far too many MP's seem to be doing remarkably little, bar turning up to vote like nodding dogs when Whipped. And cut the numbers from 650.
    When you see the chamber with only ~20 people in it, I presume the other 630 MPs are all busy with other extremely important meetings that just couldn't be held at any other time?
  • Options

Having read the online BBC report of the Moslem survey it looks pretty balanced to me. It leads on the majority opposing violence, but in the third paragraph - six lines in - states:

But 27% of the 1,000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.

Tucked away at the bottom we find:

Of those polled, 95% felt a loyalty to Britain, while 93% believed that Muslims in Britain should always obey British laws.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31293196

Halfway through a course on Islam in the Modern Word at the moment. The speaker, a prominent member of the Muslim community and former jihadist, consistently tells us that he and his co-religionists have come to settle in UK, so he and they should act as Brits.
    Yes he “got it wrong” earlier in his life, but further study of the Qu’ran and other texts has convinced him of the error of his former ways.
    When you have time, OKC, you must read Kissinger's World Order.

It has much to say on this subject and is a wonderful read anyway.
    Thanks for the heads up. Interestingly the Guardian had a sympathetic review followed by a pretty universilly condemnatory CiF afterwards.
    I'm a big fan of his books, and World Order is as good as any.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Crackpots indeed.

This whole second jobs thing is rubbish. Imagine 650 Ed Milibands in Parliament.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Exactly..

you want performance related pay?

I think most MPs are incredibly hard working, as was demonstrated on the current inside parliament bbc doc...
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

How on earth could you know that? Just British tax legislation is far too long and complicated for anyone to know if they're in compliance with it.

See this famous video. This is about US law, but UK law is no different, especially when you include the EU dimension. Start at 5:20 and watch at least until he gets to the bit about possessing a fish.
    Because I don't live in the UK and I don't break the few laws for which the UK claims extra-territorial jurisdiction ;)

The original question was about ALWAYS obeying British laws. Not currently obeying them.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,686
    edited February 2015

In order to decide whether Moslems (or any other group) have more or less extremist views you need to have measurements to compare against.

There was some polling, which I'm trying to find from around the time of the Danish polling cartoons controversy when we had people protesting in London with signs like "Behead those who insult Islam" and the polling found 1 in 4 (I think) non Muslims voters saying they had sympathy for people upset at their religion being insulted.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@TGOHF
    Trade union funding evil, hedge fund money, above reproach?

Care to list the hedge fund doners who are supposed to be bankrolling the Conservatives? I had a look at the list of main donors, and amongst them there seems to be just one individual who has made his money from a hedge fund.
    Lord Myners? Oops, he's a Labour donor.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Richard_Nabavi
    Alexander has coughed up about 5million from what I read, so petty change...
    Are you Malcom Rifkind by any chance?

Anyway
    "General Election 2015: How hedge fund super-rich 'donated £19m to Tory party' "
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-hedge-fund-superrich-donated-19m-to-tory-party-10024548.html
  • Options

There was some polling, which I'm trying to find from around the time of the Danish polling cartoons controversy when we had people protesting in London with signs like "Behead those who insult Islam" and the polling found 1 in 4 (I think) non Muslims voters saying they had sympathy for people upset at their religion being insulted.

You mean sympathy for the underlying motives? God help us.

• Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

And you never go to the UK and don't have any assets in the UK?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    Nicky Morgan = Danny Alexander in drag?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Exactly..

When you see the chamber with only ~20 people in it, I presume the other 630 MPs are all busy with other extremely important meetings that just couldn't be held at any other time?
    Yes, they're called committee meetings, constituency surgeries and so on...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the idea religion should be above ridicule belongs a thousand years in the past.
  • Options

You mean sympathy for the underlying motives? God help us.

I think it was Pope Francis approach of insult someone's mother and expect a punch
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

The original question was about ALWAYS obeying British laws. Not currently obeying them.
    No it wasnt, the clue is in your use of the present continous tense

Do you obey every British law?

Yes I do.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    And in a similar light I can announce that Auchentennach Fine Pies (Est 1745) will be the official sponsor of ARSE election coverage.

They beat Auchentennach 18-year old single malt to the contract? they must have really wanted it.

• Options
    isam said:

Nicky Morgan = Danny Alexander in drag?

Even less effectual.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, indeed, the Pope's idiotic comment was featured on placards by savages protesting and clambering all over the Cenotaph to show how cross they were at people having the freedom to express opinions they dislike.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Yes I do.
    Do you know what they all are?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Yes I do.
    WTF are you talking about, this stalking is starting to get tedious isn't there some politics to talk about ?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2015

dr_spyn said:

Exactly..

Yes, they're called committee meetings, constituency surgeries and so on...
    Bulls##t....Yes there are meeting for the likes of Ministers and committee meeting, but house only sits between these hours (and Fridays are a joke, they all go back home)...

2.30-10.30pm on Mondays, 11.30am-7.30pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9.30am-5.30pm on Thursdays; and 9.30am-3pm on sitting Fridays.

I don't believe that for a backbench MP can't arrange their schedule so that meetings with say a constituent can't be fitted around these times. Also they have staff to organize their affairs, to screen the nutters from those that genuinely need help etc.

Funny how some MPs always have time to pop up on BBC / Sky news to have a good rant.

Yes long hours and sure hard work, but I would have more sympathy for the argument of more pay if when I switched on the tv I saw the chamber with more than a few handfuls of MPs.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, indeed, the Pope's idiotic comment was featured on placards by savages protesting and clambering all over the Cenotaph to show how cross they were at people having the freedom to express opinions they dislike.

Clambering over the Cenotaph is an inalienable British right going back as far as 2010
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    taffys said:

And in a similar light I can announce that Auchentennach Fine Pies (Est 1745) will be the official sponsor of ARSE election coverage.

They beat Auchentennach 18-year old single malt to the contract? they must have really wanted it.

Indeed but they did win the late night highlights package instead. :smile:

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

BenM said:

Nothing scientific about this but I think polls all over shop because we're in midst of true crossover and they're struggling to pick this up. I expect to see sustained Tory leads from 2nd week in March.

We certainly seem to be getting more polls showing Conservative's in the lead.

In January we had Tory leads in seven polls. This month the number of leads is....er....seven!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

Three days to go mind.
    February is a shorter month though and four of those seven Con leads have been in the past week or so. :D

**Crossover post****Crossover post****Crossover post**
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '

Only kidding! :lol::lol:

ELBOWing the six polls so far this week (inc. last night's YG) gives Lab a 0.5% lead - or 1.0% going by simple averages.

Take your pick :):)
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

dr_spyn said:

Exactly..

So professionalise politics even more? People want politicians who have had 'proper jobs' But then all of a sudden proper jobs become sinful.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, rather missing the point there. Wanting blasphemy laws isn't limited to Muslims, I believe the Vatican wants the UN to introduce an international blasphemy law. Both groups supporting such a thing are backward and enemies of free speech.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Yes I do.
    WTF are you talking about, this stalking is starting to get tedious isn't there some politics to talk about ?

Eh, I'm curious as to how you're so certain that you're obeying every law. There must be thousands on the books.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron said:

Really? Where did you read that?

As for the Indy article, it seems to be based on a Labour paper written by people who don't know what a hedge fund is.

• Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Yes I do.

Eh, I'm curious as to how you're so certain that you're obeying every law. There must be thousands on the books.
    Because as I said below, I don't live in the UK or any of her dependent territories, and the number of laws for which the UK claims extra territorial jurisdiction can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

Really? Where did you read that?

As for the Indy article, it seems to be based on a Labour paper written by people who don't know what a hedge fund is.

The same people who'd confuse payouts to Equitable Life customers for regulatory failure, with a fantasy bailout of Lloyds names.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

27% of the 1,000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.

24% disagreed with the statement, "acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet Muhammad can "never be justified"

Overall that survey is not really like the BBC headline. A significant percentage have views that are at odds with what the majority of society and at the same time they feel discrimination / predjuice against them, not exactly happy families.

Yes, the apparent level of support for, or at least sympathy with, violence is staggeringly high - the exact opposite of the spin the Beeb were trying to put on the figures. With that level of extremism apparently rife, we seem to have a very major problem indeed.
    The BBC this morning were definitely protesting too much.

Almost comically so, were it not so tragic.
    Indigo said:

Anorak said:

I still think that after 5 years of deep cuts, following 13 years of the magic money tree, level pegging is quite remarkable.

Deep cuts my ass. They haven't cut anything, reduced the rate of increase in spending might be a more realistic description. Healey cut double in one year in 1974 what Osborne has cut this whole parliament.
    The problem is for what are seen as electoral reasons we continue to ring fence things that we shouldn't and we perpetuate this bollocks that you can only improve healthcare by throwing money at it. This latter point is about to be tested to destruction under whoever is lucky enough to be government next, since a recent report showed the NHS is going to need an extra £30bn per year just to stand still by 2020 - the equivalent of 5% on the basic rate of income tax.
    Health services everywhere are suffering deficits. The French NHS is in deficit. Germany raised health premiums a while back to plug its deficit - payroll tax increases, spending cuts plus more federal subsidies.
    People are living longer and treatments that were previously impossible are expensive. Where previously people would have does and thus saved the health service money, now they live thanks to expensive treatments and go on to continue to use the NHS in older life. Its part of what's called health inflation. So standing still requires huge increases in efficiency - which are taking place. Its not clear to me why you want to hobble the health service which you your family and friends - all of us - will all need.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

Mr. Roger, please don't take this amiss, but I'm not sure you're jihadi wife material anyway.

Mr. Lilburne, I favour not broadcasting to millions a how-to guide on the ease of reaching ISIS. I also favour not broadcasting the recipe for Molotov Cocktails.

Anyone wanting to join ISIS is probably not relying on the BBC for their information.

What's more interesting to me is what this says about what the Turkish authorities are and are not doing to seal the border. If people can go to Syria then they can come back easily.

This discussion has been closed.