Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another phone pollster, ComRes, has UKIP declining. CON lea

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another phone pollster, ComRes, has UKIP declining. CON lead up from 1 to 2%

The decline of UKIP from another pollster – ComRes phone poll for Mail
CON 34 (+3)
LAB 32 (+2)
LIB 8 (=)
UKIP 13 (-4)
GRN 6 (-1)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    In line with ICM and also the big two going up as with other pollsters
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Andrew_ComRes: ComRes poll for @DailyMailUK: 1 in 4 voters 'wd like to vote Labour but Ed M is putting me off'
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Are we now "Post Kipper" ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    If this were the result I think everyone would be reasonably happy
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    In your terms that's almost a positive headline for the Tories!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Diamondium standard.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    The battle for the PB Gold Standard continues.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It's strange to think isn't it, that if UKIP did poll say 10%, you would genuinely see that as UKIP on the downturn, yet would probably be regarded across the country as an amazing result, and go down in history as a political landmark
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    RobD said:

Diamondium standard.

Rob, you're missing TNS from 16 Feb.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    All going down the tube's for The Kippers?
  • Options
    isam said:

Ed as PM - are you a masochist ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

As an LD voter, I do not think so!

And I need the kippers to decline to a UK vote of 6% to win my bet with HL. I have covered this with some hedging on higher kipper bands.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Diamondium standard.

Thanks... keep missing the buggers. Of course, nothing to do with the fact it has a 7pt Lab lead......
  • Options
    @jameschappers: 30% of those who voted Lab under Brown in 2010 say they would like to do so again but Miliband is putting them off @DailyMailUK/@ComResPolls
  • Options
    But we've heard on here many times that Lab 2010 was rock bottom for the reds?

James Chapman (Mail)‏@jameschappers·45 secs45 seconds ago
    30% of those who voted Lab under Brown in 2010 say they would like to do so again but Miliband is putting them off @DailyMailUK/@ComResPolls
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

@jameschappers: 30% of those who voted Lab under Brown in 2010 say they would like to do so again but Miliband is putting them off @DailyMailUK/@ComResPolls

Ed Miliband MORE voter repellent than Gord? That take's some doing! ;)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Diamondium standard.

For everyone else, the elbow competitor.....

http://goo.gl/9RfFdf

UKIP trending down. Probably not fast enough....

Your move, Sunil ;)
  • Options
    Has anybody seen the ComRes data?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Tories Most votes, most seats, Dave out the job I reckon if this is the score.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    TGOHF said:

Jesus, just how crap is Ed?
  • Options
    ComRes for @DailyMailUK: majority (55%) think that if SNP joins coalition govt they shouldn't be allowed to decide on non-Scots laws
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2015
    ComRes with their leading questions again?

"The current government are a bunch of total muppets responsible for dreadful things, is it time for a change of government".

"Ed Miliband is a dangerous left wing Marxist with no idea what he is doing, would he make a bad PM?"
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited February 2015
    UKIP could get a boost from increased coverage closer to the election which is then offset by a squeeze from voters returning to Con/Lab. I think UKIP polling anywhere between 10%-15% would be a fantastic result for them. They would also have to return at least 3 MPs as its numbers in the HoC and not percentages that count at the end of the day.
  • Options

ComRes for @DailyMailUK: majority (55%) think that if SNP joins coalition govt they shouldn't be allowed to decide on non-Scots laws

Horse and bolted come to mind. If they don't want that to happen they have until 10pm May 7 to work it out.
  • Options
    The "time for change" is a really bad question, because most people know that the current government is Tory + Lib Dem, so I would imagine to that question hard core Labour, Tory and Lib Dem supporters would all say "time for a change".
  • Options
    The thing about the conflicting responses that Mike highlights is that you would think that when the voters want a change, but they aren't convinced by the leader of the opposition it then creates the perfect opportunity for a different party - such as UKIP - to make an impression.
  • Options

The "time for change" is a really bad question, because most people know that the current government is Tory + Lib Dem, so I would imagine to that question hard core Labour, Tory and Lib Dem supporters would all say "time for a change".

I'd be reasonably happy to keep the ConDem government actually...

• Options

Have English MPs been deciding on non-English laws recently ?
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

A tory lead & over 10 wks campaigning to bung in the mixer = ok for tories. Suppose you said 'if' but do you reckon these polls will stagnate from here on in?
  • Options
    What you wont be hearing about on the BBC tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/569983830947463170
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    TGOHF said:

We're certainly "Post LibDem"

• Options
    edited February 2015

Pulpstar said:

Not meaning to be funny but how d'you come up with that off back of a tory lead & over 10 wks campaigning to bung in the mixer? Suppose the answer is you said 'if' but do you reckon these polls will stagnate from here on in?
    "If this is the score"

Polls could move any which way from here I reckon. Tonight's revelations re: Straw and Rifkind could boost UKIP and help SNP keep it's score.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If Dave is going to form another Gov't can it please be a minority *ahem*
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

Surely, the ideal result?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not meaning to be funny but how d'you come up with that off back of a tory lead & over 10 wks campaigning to bung in the mixer? Suppose the answer is you said 'if' but do you reckon these polls will stagnate from here on in?
    "If this is the score"

Polls could move any which way from here I reckon. Tonight's revelations re: Straw and Rifkind could boost UKIP and help SNP keep it's score.
    I know. Just made me curious when tories took a poll lead off ComRes that you'd talk of Dave being out of a job that's all.

YG any sec. From punting angle am worried they're so static at moment. Doesn't seem right.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They're not allowed to, only the Scots get to do that.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Surely, the ideal result?
    As I said...
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Yougov out of the Gold Standard running. Labour/Tory tie
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%, GRN 7%
  • Options
    How can there be +/- changes if this is a new poll for the Mail?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

"If this is the score"

I know. Just made me curious when tories took a poll lead off ComRes that you'd talk of Dave being out of a job that's all.

YG any sec. From punting angle am worried they're so static at moment. Doesn't seem right.
    Obviously this is a decent poll for Conservative, just pointing out at the moment it probably leads to a Labour-SNP deal with the Conservatives marginally ahead on seats of Labour.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I'm also not sure how much better a Tory government would be either. On a scale of 1-10 I might support it about 4.5, but I can't see me preferring any other government.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    UKIP low with YouGov as well.

I get the feeling things are just starting to move.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Pulpstar said:

You don't wield power without controlling the budget. Currently English MPs decide how much of Scotland's own money Scotland gets back. Hence, no such thing as English or Scottish only matters in very nearly every instance.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%, GRN 7%

So The Scores On The Board are:

Populus - Tie

The Good Lord - Lab Lead

ComRes - Con Lead

YouGov - Tie

#megpollingmonday

• Options

Changes are from the last ComRes phone poll for the Indy.
  • Options
    ICM the outlier ?

@jameschappers: Tonight's 2-point Tory lead in @DailyMailUK/@ComResPolls is party's biggest with ComRes since Sept 2010 #GE2015
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

You don't wield power without controlling the budget. Currently English MPs decide how much of Scotland's own money Scotland gets back. Hence, no such thing as English or Scottish only matters in very nearly every instance.
    Could be my cash plonked down broadly speaking on the SNP but indeed the UK budget is a UK matter ! And that means England and Scots MPs.

#BetterTogether
  • Options
    I think another thread on how this election will see the big 2 polling a historic low percentage combined would be a good shout don't you?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    The financial deterioration of the FT sector continues to worsen, with stress concentrated in the acute sector, where 60 trusts – 73 per cent of all acute FTs – are now in deficit.

This compares to zero in 2010 in deficit and 21 trusts in 2013
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

The day's polling then works out at Con 32.8%, Lab 33.1%, UKIP 13%, LD 8%. UKPR should move to 33/33.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

He says quoting a tweet from the BBC's Nick Sutton.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

A Scottish MP made the budgets between 1997-2007 and these were voted upon by Scottish MPs.

• Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Diamondium standard.

For everyone else, the elbow competitor.....

http://goo.gl/9RfFdf

UKIP trending down. Probably not fast enough....

Your move, Sunil ;)
    UKIP made a slight recovery last week in ELBOW, denier! :)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/569480545782145026
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

"If this is the score"

Obviously this is a decent poll for Conservative, just pointing out at the moment it probably leads to a Labour-SNP deal with the Conservatives marginally ahead on seats of Labour.
    I just don't see why SNP would sign up to a deal with Labour

Far better for them to do it on an issue-by-issue basis. Maximum potential for causing disruption, maximum ability to campaign against the government in 2016.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2015
    Grandiose said:

He says quoting a tweet from the BBC's Nick Sutton.
    Yes of course I know that...because the guy retweets all front pages...very different from actually being reported on by the BBC. Watch it never see the light of day on BBC News tomorrow. But when they win some media award for the scoop, they will all be backslapping.
  • Options
    A relatively good set of polls for the Tories today.

Will it last we have been here several times before?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Sean_F said:

The day's polling then works out at Con 32.8%, Lab 33.1%, UKIP 13%, LD 8%. UKPR should move to 33/33.
    Anthony won't update the average until Thursday or Friday though, so the next 2-3 YG's will be critical...

• Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm happy to delegate full fiscal autonomy to the Scots. In any case it doesn't quite work how you say, doesn't Barnett say, if we spend some money, you get a proportion of it? So worth the Scots ramping up UK spending just for their bit of it. Any party promising to end Barnett will get me thinking about voting for them.

And some things are revenue neutral. If the English want to, say, keep the drink driving limit at 80mg and a Labour government without a minority propped up by some Scottish separatists wants to reduce it to 50mg, I would hope the SNP would stick to its current view of not expressing an opinion.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

"If this is the score"

I just don't see why SNP would sign up to a deal with Labour

Far better for them to do it on an issue-by-issue basis. Maximum potential for causing disruption, maximum ability to campaign against the government in 2016.
    Why wouldn't they ?

Anyway s&c or issue by issue doesn't really matter to yours truly...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Populus - Tie

The Good Lord - Lab Lead

ComRes - Con Lead

YouGov - Tie

#megpollingmonday

And the winner is????
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

A Scottish MP made the budgets between 1997-2007 and these were voted upon by Scottish MPs.

Hardly to the benefit of Scotland with a net loss of around £35bn** over that ten year period, removed from Scotland and spent on London.

**topline GERS the reality was likely to have been much, much higher.
  • Options
    So it's neck and neck. As it has been for some time.
  • Options
    philiph said:

GIN1138 said:

Populus - Tie

The Good Lord - Lab Lead

ComRes - Con Lead

YouGov - Tie

#megpollingmonday

And the winner is????
    Those that will benefit from a second GE in a year? The losers are all those that pump money into political parties as they fund a second campaign.
  • Options
    Outliers all around

@OliverCooper: UKIP are now polling their lowest since April in a ComRes poll, their lowest since September in YouGov, and their lowest ever in Ashcroft.
  • Options
    According to Monitor “a large majority” of financially challenged acute trusts are medium or small in size, which is says raises “the question about their long term financial sustainability”

As well as struggling financially, FTs have now failed to meet national waiting time targets for accident and emergency, routine and cancer care for three successive quarters in the 2014-15 financial year.

The sector failed to achieve the A&E waiting time target of seeing 95 per cent of patients within four hours for the 2014 calendar year.

For the first time, ambulance FTs breached the three response time targets relating to life threatening “category A” calls.

Patients waiting on a trolley for more than four hours in A&E increased by 134 per cent to 42,600 due to reduced bed availability between October and December.

NHS clearly not a GE 2015 issue.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Anthony won't update the average until Thursday or Friday though, so the next 2-3 YG's will be critical...

Making the YouGov almost exactly the average...
  • Options
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hardly to the benefit of Scotland with a net loss of around £35bn** over that ten year period, removed from Scotland and spent on London.

Ah yes.

Gordon Brown. What a shit.
  • Options

SNP MPs are no more (or less) qualified to vote on English only matters than any other parties Scottish MP's. Indeed the SNP MPs are more likely to abstain than other parties.

An SNP coalition would be electoral suicide for Labour both sides of the border.
  • Options
    The combined waiting list for elective care stood at 1.64 million at the end of the quarter – 2.5 per cent higher than the year before.

Monitor said the pressure on trusts had been increased by the need to make cost savings and the use of expensive agency staff.

The use of agency workers contributed to providers spending £419m more on staff than planned in the nine months through to December, but the £810m in cost savings made by the FT sector was £210m less than planned.

As forecast the Acute Sector is fooked!!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

But almost everyone considers it to be essentially a normal Tory government.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

I am shocked at how selfish and introspective Scotland has become.

Within the Union there is no such thing as Scotlands money.

It is one of the things about a Union you pool resources for the benefit of all. You support the weakest, not stamp your grubby feet shouting 'it's our money. Give it back you big bully!'

For a nation that claims to be altruistic it is very sad to see.
  • Options

SNP MPs are no more (or less) qualified to vote on English only matters than any other parties Scottish MP's. Indeed the SNP MPs are more likely to abstain than other parties.

An SNP coalition would be electoral suicide for Labour both sides of the border.
    They don't have to join a coalition - the misunderstanding on this is as bad as debt/deficit confusion.
  • Options

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm happy to delegate full fiscal autonomy to the Scots. In any case it doesn't quite work how you say, doesn't Barnett say, if we spend some money, you get a proportion of it? So worth the Scots ramping up UK spending just for their bit of it. Any party promising to end Barnett will get me thinking about voting for them.

And some things are revenue neutral. If the English want to, say, keep the drink driving limit at 80mg and a Labour government without a minority propped up by some Scottish separatists wants to reduce it to 50mg, I would hope the SNP would stick to its current view of not expressing an opinion.
    The SNP have no intention on voting on the England and Wales drink driving limit. They do intend to vote on every matter with a financial implication for Scotland until such time as FFA is granted.

The best way for someone in England to vote for this is to cast their X in the Green Party of E&W's box.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

Outliers all around

@OliverCooper: UKIP are now polling their lowest since April in a ComRes poll, their lowest since September in YouGov, and their lowest ever in Ashcroft.

People starting to get real.

One thing voting for a bunch of crack pots in a European Election. Another thing to vote for them in a general election...

• Options
    Off Topic...Just looking at the Oscar noms / winners, most of the films up for awards did absolutely terribly at the US Box Office e.g. The Theory of Everything has only done $33m in business in the US, Whiplash just $10m.
  • Options

So we are losing the regular Indy phone poll?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They don't have to join a coalition - the misunderstanding on this is as bad as debt/deficit confusion.
    Supply and Confidence is not much better for either SLAB or EWLAB. Why switch back if you are former SLAB? And why let the celtic (non-Lab) tail wag the English dog?

Better a Lab minority, and agree an EVFEL deal with the Tories.
  • Options

No
  • Options
    The question about "time for a change of goverment" does show again how there's so little scope for the Tories to put on more votes than they currently have. People are FAR from certain that the change they want is a change to Labour/Miliband, but they definitely want change of some kind.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Supply and Confidence is not much better for either SLAB or EWLAB. Why switch back if you are former SLAB? And why let the celtic (non-Lab) tail wag the English dog?

A Labour minority with Conservative support O_O ?!
  • Options

The Mail has taken it over which is a good thing. Phone polling is very expensive.

• Options
    Actually that ComRes poll could be misinterpreted.

I'm someone who would like a change of government.

From a coalition to a Tory majority government.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

I am shocked at how selfish and introspective Scotland has become.

Within the Union there is no such thing as Scotlands money.

It is one of the things about a Union you pool resources for the benefit of all. You support the weakest, not stamp your grubby feet shouting 'it's our money. Give it back you big bully!'

For a nation that claims to be altruistic it is very sad to see.
    Not wanting to subsidise England is not being selfish. It is merely seeking fairness. If England hadn't spent Scotland's money on such ridiculous largesse for London (continuing with another £15bn choo choo currently featured on BBC2) then Scotland would not be ready to dump the Union.

That doesn't even consider the utter disbelief Scotland has that there is no recognition from England at just how large the subsidy they have received is, not only is it unrecognised but the general opinion in England appears to be that it is subsidising Scotland!

Utterly ridiculous.
  • Options

The Mail has taken it over which is a good thing. Phone polling is very expensive.

Do you know if Populus will start doing phone polling for the election?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    If it had been the Tories turn to get the big poll lead with His Lordship's Bouncy Castle of Polling, tonight we'd be getting really excited and saying "is THIS the moment the Tories finally make a move?" So has his Lordship masked a true Tory lead in the other polls?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The question about "time for a change of goverment" does show again how there's so little scope for the Tories to put on more votes than they currently have. People are FAR from certain that the change they want is a change to Labour/Miliband, but they definitely want change of some kind.

I imagine the theoretical ceiling for Cons is around the peak of their polling in this parliament.
  • Options

Actually that ComRes poll could be misinterpreted.

I'm someone who would like a change of government.

From a coalition to a Tory majority government.

But 90% of Tory voters say they want to "stay the course". It's the vast majority of voters for other parties who overwhelmingly want a change (including 80% of UKIP voters; there's actually a lot more Lib Dem voters who are willing to "stay the course" than Kippers, so that's really where the Tories should be looking to gain extra votes).
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

The SNP have no intention on voting on the England and Wales drink driving limit. They do intend to vote on every matter with a financial implication for Scotland until such time as FFA is granted.

The best way for someone in England to vote for this is to cast their X in the Green Party of E&W's box.
    If we got a Green government, I think I would emigrate to Scotland!

• Options

If it had been the Tories turn to get the big poll lead with His Lordship's Bouncy Castle of Polling, tonight we'd be getting really excited and saying "is THIS the moment the Tories finally make a move?" So has his Lordship masked a true Tory lead in the other polls?

Whatever The Good Lord show's just remember:

As the Good Lord Giveth, the Good Taketh.

Amen.

• Options

Off Topic...Just looking at the Oscar noms / winners, most of the films up for awards did absolutely terribly at the US Box Office e.g. The Theory of Everything has only done $33m in business in the US, Whiplash just $10m.

The treatment of The Lego Movie (no nom for Animated Picture, lost out on best song) was an utter disgrace.
  • Options

philiph said:

GIN1138 said:

Populus - Tie

The Good Lord - Lab Lead

ComRes - Con Lead

YouGov - Tie

#megpollingmonday

And the winner is????
    Those that will benefit from a second GE in a year? The losers are all those that pump money into political parties as they fund a second campaign.
    There will be no 2nd GE this year if no party wins a majority. Fixed Term Parliament Act.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

There will be no 2nd GE this year if no party wins a majority. Fixed Term Parliament Act.

That's a cast iron guarantee, just like "2010 Lib Dems are Labour's impregnable firewall"...
  • Options
    Dair said:

The treatment of The Lego Movie (no nom for Animated Picture, lost out on best song) was an utter disgrace.
    They didn't want to mess up their whiteys only oscars by having to give an award to some yellow people.
  • Options

Do you know if Populus will start doing phone polling for the election?
    Populus stopped doing phone polls when they lost the Times contract. A great shame.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

It'd be a great thing if the SNP stood candidates south of the border.
    England should be given a chance to vote Scotland out of the Union.
    The Greens are hardly an adequate proxy for the real thing.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

To an extent Labour are in a lose/lose. The chances are the Tories will be largest party in England and Wales meaning that if Labour and the Tories colluded to pass EVEL then it would basically mean Labour handing the Tories the keys to No 10.

I wouldn't put it past the stupid party but SLAB will have a much reduced (perhaps non-existent) voice after 7th May. Both options would hurt Labour but their core support would be hurt much less by agreeing a S&C with the SNP than handing power to the Tories.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That's a cast iron guarantee, just like "2010 Lib Dems are Labour's impregnable firewall"...
    Just what DID happen to the 2010 Lib's?
  • Options

philiph said:

GIN1138 said:

Populus - Tie

The Good Lord - Lab Lead

ComRes - Con Lead

YouGov - Tie

#megpollingmonday

And the winner is????

Hmmm lets see....Just imagine Cameron or Miliband struggling away, unable to pass any real laws, I think the country will be crying out for a second election to sort out the stand off.
This discussion has been closed.