Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Do the size of ministers’ majorities matter?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Iqbal_M said:

Isn't this an argument for Single Transferable Vote, because I keep reading instances in Ireland where Cabinet Ministers there having to break off from international summits to attend some constituency event for fear of losing their seat?

That would be an argument against STV.

• Options
    MrJones said:

I thought passing a gay marriage law by June was decided on and ordered by a bunch of unelected EU officials in some secret vote somewhere? Unless that's just an internet myth why is everyone talking like it wasn't an EU directive our pretend government had to go along with?

Yes, cleverly spotted. The bankstas have forced them into it.

• Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621

A straw in the economic wind: our big annual conference is in Boston starting Sunday. It is a complete sell out with people offering us over the odds to get in. It's always been popular, but never to this extent. All very exciting.

Boston? Must be all the UKIP supporters.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

people.
    Genuinely shocked. Gay marriage opponents was it?

I think more general anti-fascist/fascist stuff. The kid that died was a known activist. The people arrested were known fascists.

Yeah, genuinely shocking.

Vice has an article about the memorial:http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-went-to-the-memorial-gatherings-for-the-murdered-french-anti-fascist
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

pbr2013 said:

Patrick said:

France has ossified. It is intellectually, morally, politically and increasingly actually bankrupt. They rage aginst the globalised world with as much chance of putting it back in its box as I do of being the next Queen of England. A true horror story of lefty statism run riot over a prolonged period. The Germans are starting to give up on them:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/economic-decline-in-france-the-failed-leadership-of-hollande-a-903732.html

@Patrick

Thanks for that link. Although I was aware of it I have never really followed Speigel's coverge of Franco-German relations. Half an hour's train reading was really illuminating (and prejudice-confirming). How will la belle France get out of the mire? I do hope they do, and become a more positive influence on World events.

Anyone with access to the times ?

Benedict Brogan ‏@benedictbrogan 1h

France's political and economic crisis latest: military talk of a coup (h/t @timothy_stanley) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article3783614.ece

"Charles Bremner Paris
    Published at 12:01AM, June 6 2013

Sections of the French military have called for a coup to save the country, it emerged yesterday.

The Defence Ministry was taking seriously appeals from royalist, ultra-traditionalist Catholic groups on the internet and in a magazine for a “coup de force” as criticism of François Hollande grows.

The plotters claim that France is threatened by decadence, symbolised by the legalisation last month of gay marriage."
    Awesome. I haven't watched the BBC's pretend news for ages, have they been covering the massive French aggro over the gay marriage law their pretend government was ordered to pass by the EU as well?
    If an EU country were to have a coup; and thrre are some that have recent history of dictatorship, would they be expelled?

The EU without France could be more readily be reformed to a much better organisation. It would also be a sweet pleasure to say "non" when they reapply!
  • Options
    davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    I just read the latest Labour policy nonsense on housing. Son of Benn wants communities to have a veto on housebuilding on their doorsteps. Mmm....

'Hello residents of Chingford, Norwich, Dorking, Broadstairs, York, etc etc etc.... We were wondering if you would mind us building 400,000 new homes for um...'social tenants', next door to you. Is that ok?'

' No' you say, 'over our cold rotting corpses' (copyright Khan!). No problem, then we will build them on the fecking moon since there's nobody up there to object to our brilliant idea.

Of course there are a few roundabouts in Walthamstow we could build 40 floor shoeboxes on. Any remaining open and green spaces in our cities will be built on, cram more and more people in.

As someone commenting on a Telegraph blog put it today; 'There isn't a housing problem, there's an immigration problem'. To most voters that's the crux of the matter.

I'd say there's more a problem with the population ponzi scheme that all politicians, (especially lefty thicko ones), seem oblivious to. We need more working age people to pay for more retired people. Then we need more working age people to pay for those retired people. Ad infinitum. Where does it stop? UK population 70 million? 80 million? 500 million?

Either tell nimbys to shut their gobs, or do something about this mental concept of filling the UK to breaking point. This b/s is your fault Labour. You let too many people in and didn't deal with the consequences.It's nothing to do with culture, colour, shoe size. Too many people. Not enough housing. Geddit? Now you blame someone else, AS ALWAYS.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

pbr2013 said:

Patrick said:

France has ossified. It is intellectually, morally, politically and increasingly actually bankrupt. They rage aginst the globalised world with as much chance of putting it back in its box as I do of being the next Queen of England. A true horror story of lefty statism run riot over a prolonged period. The Germans are starting to give up on them:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/economic-decline-in-france-the-failed-leadership-of-hollande-a-903732.html

@Patrick

Thanks for that link. Although I was aware of it I have never really followed Speigel's coverge of Franco-German relations. Half an hour's train reading was really illuminating (and prejudice-confirming). How will la belle France get out of the mire? I do hope they do, and become a more positive influence on World events.

France's political and economic crisis latest: military talk of a coup (h/t @timothy_stanley) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article3783614.ece

"Charles Bremner Paris

Sections of the French military have called for a coup to save the country, it emerged yesterday.

The Defence Ministry was taking seriously appeals from royalist, ultra-traditionalist Catholic groups on the internet and in a magazine for a “coup de force” as criticism of François Hollande grows.

The plotters claim that France is threatened by decadence, symbolised by the legalisation last month of gay marriage."
    Awesome. I haven't watched the BBC's pretend news for ages, have they been covering the massive French aggro over the gay marriage law their pretend government was ordered to pass by the EU as well?
    If an EU country were to have a coup; and thrre are some that have recent history of dictatorship, would they be expelled?

The EU without France could be more readily be reformed to a much better organisation. It would also be a sweet pleasure to say "non" when they reapply!
    It would certainly put the cat among the pigeons.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Neil said:

MrJones said:

I thought passing a gay marriage law by June was decided on and ordered by a bunch of unelected EU officials in some secret vote somewhere? Unless that's just an internet myth why is everyone talking like it wasn't an EU directive our pretend government had to go along with?

Yes, cleverly spotted. The bankstas have forced them into it.

Did i say bankstas? There are two forces of darkness: bankstas on the right, nomenklatura on the left.

Regardless of all that, how Cameron and the gay marriage issue is viewed longer term depends on whether this is correct or not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/9859036/Gay-marriage-the-French-connection.html

"Such are the real reasons that our Government needed to rush through last week’s vote on gay marriage. We are committed to “full implementation” of the Council of Europe’s policy no later than this June (and hence the similar law now being rushed through in France)."

Hence why i wondered if the BBC had reported the massive French demos against gay marriage.

edit: Apparently they have on their website anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22671572
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Did i say bankstas?

You expect us to keep up with all your different conspiracy theories?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    [shrugging] Mais, je ne comprend pas le Français!

:)
  • Options
    Neil said:

MrJones said:

Did i say bankstas?

You expect us to keep up with all your different conspiracy theories?
    I expect you to know what a straw man is.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

pbr2013 said:

Patrick said:

@Patrick

"Charles Bremner Paris

Berlusconi and Papandreou were arguably victims of coups.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Blimey. Gove is the Sun Westminster villain of the week.
  • Options

MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

pbr2013 said:

Patrick said:

@Patrick

"Charles Bremner Paris

Berlusconi and Papandreou were arguably victims of coups.
    They were pro-EU coups though.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FPT
    @tim

Ashcroft poll Immigration

"Which party do you trust on immigration"

January

Con 38
    Lab 28
    LD 13

June

Con 33
    Lab 33
    LD 13

In PB Toryworld that translates into "winning the debate"
    -----------

Clear 5% swing to Labour on immigration. Probably Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells moved to Labour.

The Osborne Master Strategy cannot be faulted.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited June 2013
    CAN I REMIND CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SITE THAT ONLY LINKS FROM REPUTABLE NEWS SOURCES ARE ACCEPTABLE WHEN IT COMES TO ANYTHING TO DO WITH NEWSCORP/NEWS INT/PHONE HACKING OR ANY NAMED INDIVIDUALS RELATING THERETO.
    FURTHERMORE NO COMMENTS RELATIVE TO THE LINKS ARE PERMITTED
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Neil said:

Iqbal_M said:

Isn't this an argument for Single Transferable Vote, because I keep reading instances in Ireland where Cabinet Ministers there having to break off from international summits to attend some constituency event for fear of losing their seat?

That would be an argument against STV.

In the Irish electoral multi member constituencies, not only does a candidate fight against his/her opponents but also against the other candidate(s) from his/her own party !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FPT
    @tim

January

Con 38
    Lab 28
    LD 13

June

Con 33
    Lab 33
    LD 13

-----------

Clear 5% swing to Labour on immigration. Probably Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells moved to Labour.

They won the debate if the debate was "you can't control immigration without coming out of the EU." The gamble - if there's any strategy to it which there may not be - is that winning that debate could drain more potential New Labour votes into UKIP than Tory ones which i think some graph said means UKIP have to getting over 16%.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FPT
    @tim

January

Con 38
    Lab 28
    LD 13

June

Con 33
    Lab 33
    LD 13

-----------

When Ed Miliband has admitted Labours mistakes over immigration and promises a hard line in the future, it is reasonable to consider it a debate won.

It is a different matter of course to believe him!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ed-miliband-pledges-tougher-line-on-immigration-after-past-mistakes-8521716.html
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited June 2013
    'Nadine Dorries under investigation over payment for her “I’m a Celebrity” appearance…' markferguson

'I'm told Nadine Dorries will be investigated by Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards. Complaint made and accepted this week.' rosshawkinsbbc
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    TGOHF - The IFS is centre right, so no surprise there. Osborne has said austerity will last until 2017-18, assuming the Tories win, although I doubt Labour would be that much different, but by 2020, even if the Tories do win in 2015, Labour will probably be back in again with a more stimulus-driven approach. I still think Osborne should have stuck to his promise and sorted the deficit out by 2015, 5 tough years of austerity, finished by the time Cameron went to the poll, even if it was harder than now and across the board with no protected departments, it could then have been followed by a pro-growth, budget for the election and the first year of a Tory government!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

Cuts,welfare,austerity & immigration,Labour has managed a u-turn on each issue after opposing for three years.

Just one more u-turn on an in/out EU referendum and they will have a complete set.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2013
    Salmond wants to debate Cameron on Scottish " independence ".

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4958806/Alex-Salmond-makes-fresh-call-for-independence-debate-with-David-Cameron.html

Why ? Cameron doesn't even get to vote on the matter.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Salmond wants to debate Cameron on Scottish " independence ".

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4958806/Alex-Salmond-makes-fresh-call-for-independence-debate-with-David-Cameron.html

Why ? Cameron doesn't even get to vote on the matter.

1. Salmond's afraid to debate Darling.
    2. With Cameron he gets to play the anti-english card.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@surbiton

Cuts,welfare,austerity & immigration,Labour has managed a u-turn on each issue after opposing for three years.

Just one more u-turn on an in/out EU referendum and they will have a complete set.

They aren't really u-turning though are they?

It's more like biting their bottom lips, gritting their collective teeth and excreting out things they don't believe in one little bit. It's pathetic to watch. Gone from no policies, except no cuts, to incoherent waffle that nobody in their right mind will buy come an election.

Everything either comes with a 'but it's nothing to do with us and most certainly not our fault', or 'the Tories forced us into it'.

I love the way the Pb lefty Miliworshippers have been trying to spin it though. Androids programmed to blurt out the party line come what may. At least the Pb Tories are a rebellious rabble who rip into the party when they screw up, the Labour bots have no clue whether what they are arguing is good or bad, right or wrong, or makes any sense at all for that matter.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    antifrank said:

@DavidL The Scottish market is consolidating rapidly in response to the current market conditions. I expect to see plenty more mergers, the flight of good partners to financially stronger practices, the enforced transfer of weaker partners to weaker practices and further redundancies at many firms.

Disclaimer: I do have a commercial interest in this process.

There's certainly two firms in London (both nudging at the top 10) that are looking to cull 25-30% of their mid levels (3-7 years PQE). Currently consulting not fair to name names
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Actually, what have we learned about Labour policies really?

Immigration: 'We might not have got it right....' And what? What policy is that for the future then?

Cuts/welfare: 'Rich pensioners won't get their winter fuel allowance'. Saves 100 million. Yippee, our problems are solved. That should cover it, deficit eliminated, debt paid down.

But maybe some other unspecified reduction in payments to somebody else, or something, maybe? But we can up unemployment benefits to those who have paid in more....Which may be a great idea, but that saves money how?

As for austerity, I haven't heard any proposals from Labour on austerity. It's a swear word in the socialist dictionary. It involves reducing public spending and cutting public sector jobs....yeah right, that's gonna happen. Not.

Labours 2015 manifesto will be 3 lines of 'policies' (cough), and 63 pages of Ed squared waffling on about 'one nation'. Awesome.

But apparently there's going to be some kind of government laser aimed at each department, (maybe I didn't quite get that bit?). I'd fire a bloody laser at the HOC when they next debate how big a pay increase they all want. All bloody 650 of them will be there for that, rubbing their hands with glee.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    An EU without France might even be one that I'd like to be part of...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @Alanbrooke,Alan,just noticing over the last few days that tim as been ignoring your Questions or facts,you must know by now that he doesn't reply if you catch him out ;-)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The more I think about, the better the idea is.

The final victory of the RosBifs would be the expulsion of the French from the EU. With the Germans we could rewrite the rules quite effectively.

Ooh please let it be possible.
  • Options

@Alanbrooke,Alan,just noticing over the last few days that tim as been ignoring your Questions or facts,you must know by now that he doesn't reply if you catch him out ;-)

It's been a tough week for labourites Ed has underwhelmed everyone with his ideas. The policy page still consists of calling people toffs.
  • Options
    I guess there's less lawyering needed as the sweatshop part of the economy expands and the legal part shrinks.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good evening, everyone.

Mildly surprised Rosberg was a shade off the pace in P2. At almost precisely the same time he was 3-4 tenths off of Hamilton. Apparently the Mercedes was a bit rubbish on long runs compared to the Red Bull.

The pre-qualifying piece will be up late Saturday evening, due to the same difference.
  • Options

Socrates said:

The final victory of the RosBifs would be the expulsion of the French from the EU. With the Germans we could rewrite the rules quite effectively.

Hmm a UK Germany merger. It has a lot going for it.

We adopt the German federal system and ditch Westminster centralism
    They adopt the queen instead of a president ( their presidents keep goofing up )
    The world leader in industry with the world leader in finance
    150 million consumers who believe in working for a living and like beer and sausages.
    Germans get a presence on the security council, brits get France as their bitch.

Sold.
  • Options
    I miss the like button

Socrates said:

They adopt the queen instead of a president ( their presidents keep goofing up )
    150 million consumers who believe in working for a living and like beer and sausages.
    Germans get a presence on the security council, brits get France as their bitch.

Sold.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I just noticed this story about Hollande's gaff, re Japan. Apologies if posted earlier:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-22811106
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I just noticed this story about Hollande's gaff, re Japan. Apologies if posted earlier:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-22811106

I was speaking with an french friend tonight who just couldn't stop laughing at how stupid Hollande had been.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Socrates said:

Sold.
    Needs a name. How about the Kingdom of Hanover?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    edited June 2013

I just read the latest Labour policy nonsense on housing. Son of Benn wants communities to have a veto on housebuilding on their doorsteps. Mmm....

'Hello residents of Chingford, Norwich, Dorking, Broadstairs, York, etc etc etc.... We were wondering if you would mind us building 400,000 new homes for um...'social tenants', next door to you. Is that ok?'

' No' you say, 'over our cold rotting corpses' (copyright Khan!). No problem, then we will build them on the fecking moon since there's nobody up there to object to our brilliant idea.

Of course there are a few roundabouts in Walthamstow we could build 40 floor shoeboxes on. Any remaining open and green spaces in our cities will be built on, cram more and more people in.

As someone commenting on a Telegraph blog put it today; 'There isn't a housing problem, there's an immigration problem'. To most voters that's the crux of the matter.

I'd say there's more a problem with the population ponzi scheme that all politicians, (especially lefty thicko ones), seem oblivious to. We need more working age people to pay for more retired people. Then we need more working age people to pay for those retired people. Ad infinitum. Where does it stop? UK population 70 million? 80 million? 500 million?

Either tell nimbys to shut their gobs, or do something about this mental concept of filling the UK to breaking point. This b/s is your fault Labour. You let too many people in and didn't deal with the consequences.It's nothing to do with culture, colour, shoe size. Too many people. Not enough housing. Geddit? Now you blame someone else, AS ALWAYS.

The proposals for Essex are for some tens of thousands of new houses.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Night hawks is now open
This discussion has been closed.