Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why’s the Westminster bubble ignoring the Tory near collaps

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited February 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why’s the Westminster bubble ignoring the Tory near collapse in England?

To work out swing you look the change in party figures from the last election an divide by 2. So here LAB is up 6.9% with Opinium in England and the Tories down 6.5%. So that makes a swing of 6.7%

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Doomed Doomed .... We're all Doomed !!

Copyright - @SeanT
  • Options
    Meanwhile ....

JackW Will Never Be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    I was about to say that it was quite sane here....Then jack arrived!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Evening all :)

It's worrying for the Conservatives and very worrying for the LDs. The conundrum for me is the potential impact of the Green vote in LD seats. One example is Ed Davey's seat - K&S might well be the kind of place where the Green candidate draws enough LD votes to get the Conservatives home. We don't know at this stage.

In my seat (East Ham), a Green candidate will make no difference to the result but could (perhaps) draw a small amount off the Labour vote. Again, we don't know.
  • Options
    Data wrapper caption wrong - should say Opinium NOT Survation?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    As I've posted before, I really don't understand the LD attitude. Marching towards the sound of gunfire, as Jo Grimond advised, is all very well, but not when those manning the guns can see the whites of ones eyes!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

It's worrying for the Conservatives and very worrying for the LDs. The conundrum for me is the potential impact of the Green vote in LD seats. One example is Ed Davey's seat - K&S might well be the kind of place where the Green candidate draws enough LD votes to get the Conservatives home. We don't know at this stage.

In my seat (East Ham), a Green candidate will make no difference to the result but could (perhaps) draw a small amount off the Labour vote. Again, we don't know.

Isn't East Ham the safest Lab seat in England?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    In the Westminster bubble they still don't believe the polls and assume (as they did, wrongly, in 2010) that there will be last minute swing to the tories.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Meanwhile ....

JackW Will Never Be Prime Minister.

ELBOW denier :)
  • Options
    @OldKingCole
    That's politician speak.
    It doesn't matter what it means, as long as it sounds good.
    (I offer translations for very moderate fees if you so desire)
    ;-)
  • Options
    Latest ARSE 2015 General Election and "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

60 hours
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    SeanT MI5 and GCHQ are working overtime and if anything should be ringfenced it is funding for them not overseas aid
  • Options
    JackW said:

Latest ARSE 2015 General Election and "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

60 hours

Great! PBers will definitely be able to discern their ARSE from their ELBOW!
  • Options
    @HYUFD
    In Sean's case a padded cell might be better than a ringfence?
    (issajokesean)
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    dodrade said:

In the Westminster bubble they still don't believe the polls and assume (as they did, wrongly, in 2010) that there will be last minute swing to the tories.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT MI5 and GCHQ are working overtime and if anything should be ringfenced it is funding for them not overseas aid

Does overseas aid include our net £10 billion to the developed nations of the EU? :)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@OldKingCole
    That's politician speak.
    It doesn't matter what it means, as long as it sounds good.
    (I offer translations for very moderate fees if you so desire)
    ;-)

I'm obliged for the thought, but sadly your fees are not tax-deductible!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    UNS?

I read somewhere that we vote for candidates, not parties, and that instead of looking at UNS you have to look at individual constituency polls conducted last August by well-known but relatively new polling firms we won't be using again.

Colour me confused.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

UNS?

I read somewhere that we vote for candidates, not parties, and that instead of looking at UNS you have to look at individual constituency polls conducted last August by well-known but relatively new polling firms we won't be using again.

Colour me confused.

The choices so far locally are three apparatchiks and a committed local councillor with a reputation as a campaigner.

Sadly, I'm not convinced by his party's policies.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

Copyright - @SeanT

Who was closer to the result of the indyreferendum. Me. Not you.

Who was closer to the result of the GE? Me. Not you.

Who predicted the SNP surge post NO? Me. Not you.

And on and on and on. I've had five bets on pb and lost won, and won four, etc etc.

You'd better hope that you break this peerless record of inferiority to me, when it comes to my other predictions, terroristic or otherwise.

You were most certainly not closer to the 2010 GE result than me or either of the 2008 or 2012 US presidential elections and as I recall you were regularly wetting your knickers at the prospect of a SNP referendum win on the basis of one opinion poll.

PB decided I and not you was TOTY and how right their collective wisdom was.

Go back to frightening old ladies and the children. The rest of us will not be moved.

• Options
    I now officially predict the Chilcot report will be leaked during the election campaign.

Tony Blair has moved to end talk of a rift with Ed Miliband as he pledged to offer whatever support the Labour leader wants in the runup to the 7 May election.

With Miliband under intense pressure after a succession of business leaders criticised his policies as bad for the country, the former prime minister made clear that he was ready to aid Miliband’s push to restore Labour to power.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/07/tony-blair-ed-miliband-labour-general-election
  • Options
    Just for a change OGH sticks the boot in the Tories using Opinium as his source this time, a pollster that regularly has the Tories well in arrears. Maybe everybody is ignoring this narrative because they think it's somewhat unlikely.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

UNS?

Colour me confused.

UNS is a bit like gravity. You can only defy it for so long.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron Thanks for that

Sunil I believe so, and India's space programme. Indeed, while we are shutting libraries and theatres, sacking soldiers and policemen, raising tuition fees, slashing legal aid and welfare, and the NHS and social care are facing ever more pressures, it was gratifying to see DFID civil servants went on a £1 billion spending spree of taxpayers' money to ensure they did not underspend and fail to meet Cameron's target of spending 0.7% of GDP on overseas aid
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11349411/Civil-Servants-spent-extra-1billion-in-eight-weeks-to-hit-aid-target.html
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @Peter_the_Punter FPT

BTW charles, have you had an opportunity to call in at the Finborough Arms as yet?

Been juggling a jetlagged baby, so not yet...

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited February 2015

Just for a change OGH sticks the boot in the Tories using Opinium as his source this time, a pollster that regularly has the Tories well in arrears. Maybe everybody is ignoring this narrative because they think it's somewhat unlikely.

Well Opinium changed their methodology to increase tory share so that makes the narrative more credible

If OGH didn't write threads that challenged the site narrative it would be unbearable! He joined in with the pro tory narrative in Rochester and ended up with oeuf sur his visage like the rest of the unthinkers, so perhaps he's has enough
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

2 Islamic terrorists back on streets after serving just half their sentences http://t.co/9EDOuoSg10 pic.twitter.com/ey16WX8w7D

— Tommy Robinson (@TRobinsonNewEra) February 7, 2015
  • Options
    Tonight's YouGov

Con 32, Lab 33, LD 7, UKIP 15, Greens 8
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

Tonight's YouGov

EICIPM
  • Options

As I've posted before, I really don't understand the LD attitude. Marching towards the sound of gunfire, as Jo Grimond advised, is all very well, but not when those manning the guns can see the whites of ones eyes!

Perhaps this would be a good new theme tune for the LibDems?

"We fired our guns and the British kept a-coming. There wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago; We fired once more and they began a-running; all down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_iRIcxsz0

@computor will appreciate from 1:05 onwards...
  • Options
    YouGov

Tories seen as having best policies towards British business by 33% to Labour's 19% - same split as on economy
  • Options

Tonight's YouGov

Ah, finally :)

(That's it for the weekend, I presume?)
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

dodrade said:

No I meant 2010. Even the pollsters didn't believe their own findings (because of 1992) and when asked (In the Independent I think) their personal opinions most thought the tories would manage a small majority.
  • Options
    PB.com........ Come and read the exploits of the poll dancers.
    (foreword by TSE)
    *sometimes safe for work*

It could be the New Nighthawks slogan?
  • Options

Tonight's YouGov

I am not expecting any more tonight.

Which doesn't mean there won't be any more.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

People convicted of homophobic, transgender or disability hate crime would be put on a “blacklist” to warn future employers of past misdemeanours under new proposals by Labour.

The shadow home secretary, Yvette Cooper, will on Monday unveil a strategy to tackle the UK’s soaring rise in antisemitism, Islamophobia, homophobia and abuse of people with disabilities. The package includes making homophobic and disability hate crimes an aggravated criminal offence, ensuring that police treat such offences in the same way as racist hate crimes.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/07/labour-blacklist-hate-crime-uk-antisemitism-islamophobia-homophobia

Unperson crimethink doubleplusungood.
    Crimestop doubleplusgood crimethink.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited February 2015
    dodrade said:

kjohnw said:

dodrade said:

No I meant 2010. Even the pollsters didn't believe their own findings (because of 1992) and when asked (In the Independent I think) their personal opinions most thought the tories would manage a small majority.
    To be fair, whoever calculated the Exit Poll on Election Night got it almost spot on.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Because it doesn't fit the expectation that this is a tight race, which it isn't - or would not be were it not for Scotland - in terms of probable seats even if the vote shares will be mighty close
  • Options
    YouGov

43% think a Labour victory would be bad for British business, just 19% think it would be good

Paradoxically, 38% say govt should primarily support big business, 49% it should do more to stand up to it
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    David Cameron has hailed Britain’s growing economic recovery as the “Great Revival”, as former Labour donors express their frustration at Ed Miliband’s “half baked” plans for business.

Writing for The Telegraph, Mr Cameron launched his strongest attack to date on Mr Miliband’s economic policies, warning that the Labour leader’s “sneering hatred of business” would cost the country almost 100,000 jobs.

It came as some of Britain’s most successful industrialists, who have donated large sums to Labour in the past, joined the criticism of Mr Miliband’s “unnecessary” attacks on enterprise.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11398240/PM-Ed-Miliband-has-a-sneering-hatred-of-business.html
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

YouGov

43% think a Labour victory would be bad for British business, just 19% think it would be good

Paradoxically, 38% say govt should primarily support big business, 49% it should do more to stand up to it

"43% think a Labour victory would be bad for British business"

Quite a few of those think that would be a good thing.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Even if Labour does win most seats in England, or even a small majority there, if the SNP win 35-50 seats then they will still need their support to form a UK government. Ironically if the election was England and Wales alone, Labour on these numbers would be more likely to get a majority than with Scotland because of the SNP's present lead there and Labour's lead south of Hadrian's Wall
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    HYUFD said:

Sunil I believe so, and India's space programme. Indeed, while we are shutting libraries and theatres, sacking soldiers and policemen, raising tuition fees, slashing legal aid and welfare, and the NHS and social care are facing ever more pressures, it was gratifying to see DFID civil servants went on a £1 billion spending spree of taxpayers' money to ensure they did not underspend and fail to meet Cameron's target of spending 0.7% of GDP on overseas aid
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11349411/Civil-Servants-spent-extra-1billion-in-eight-weeks-to-hit-aid-target.html

Where the British military is engaged in humanitarian activity it should receive additional funding from DfID's budget.

• Options

Tonight's YouGov

I am not expecting any more tonight.

Which doesn't mean there won't be any more.
    Understood, thanks.
  • Options
    YouGov

People don't like CEOs in tax havens intervening in UK politics 73% felt Boots boss Pessina's intervention unacceptable
  • Options
    People convicted of homophobic, transgender or disability hate crime would be put on a “blacklist” to warn future employers of past misdemeanours under new proposals by Labour.

I'm sure not being able to get jobs afterwards will help them learn the error of their ways rather than seeing no point in reforming as they'll still be screwed either way.
  • Options
    perdix said:

HYUFD said:

Where the British military is engaged in humanitarian activity it should receive additional funding from DfID's budget.

I always wondered why they didn't use that as a fix?

After all they used the same trick (although more damagingly) when they shifted the World Service from the FCO to the BBC budget
  • Options
    The last 15 published polls have seen
    10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm sure not being able to get jobs afterwards will help them learn the error of their ways rather than seeing no point in reforming as they'll still be screwed either way.

I think it is all fart and no follow through.

If you're applying for a job that requires a CRB or DBS check, it would show up already.
  • Options
    All these vital matters about the upcoming GE, and Rotherham, and Greece, and the Ukraine.

And what is the most popular story on the BBC site?

"Keep daffodils away from food"

*sighs*

• Options
    I'm surprised everyone isn't just following OGH and buying Labour most seats based on this latest thread.
  • Options

I'm surprised everyone isn't just following OGH and buying Labour most seats based on this latest thread.

I was tempted to do that with my Spurs winnings.
  • Options

dodrade said:

kjohnw said:

dodrade said:

To be fair, whoever calculated the Exit Poll on Election Night got it almost spot on.
    The massive exit poll operation cannot be compared with opinion polls.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2015

YouGov

Is that really paradoxical? People thinking the Labour would be "bad for businesses" does not necessarily imply that people disapprove of policies that are bad for (big) businessmen.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

YouGov

Is that really paradoxical? People thinking the Tories would be "best for business" does not necessarily imply that people actually want policies that are good for big businesses.
    Is how the Sunday Times have written it up
  • Options
    @MarkHopkins
    "Keep daffodils away from food"

That was a plot line for one of the generic cop/forensic shows....which fortunately I can't remember the name of.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    HYUFD said:

Even if Labour does win most seats in England, or even a small majority there, if the SNP win 35-50 seats then they will still need their support to form a UK government. Ironically if the election was England and Wales alone, Labour on these numbers would be more likely to get a majority than with Scotland because of the SNP's present lead there and Labour's lead south of Hadrian's Wall

The poll that is the basis for this thread has labour down on 29% in Wales with the Tories on 27% and UKIP on 24%

They'd lose a lot of Welsh seats, as well as Scottish, in that scenario.
  • Options
    YouGov

attitudes hardening on Isis. UK air strikes on Isis backed by 63%, up from 59% in October. A new high

32% would support sending UK group troops back into Iraq, the same as in October
  • Options

10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead

This week's 10 polls have a simple average Labour lead of 1.7% - ELBOW will be published once the YG tables are out.
  • Options

dodrade said:

kjohnw said:

dodrade said:

The 2005 exit poll also got the Labour Majority spot on, if not the exact number of seats for each party.

Found the 2010 article I referred to earlier.

[URL]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/voters-tell-brown-and-cameron-stop-lying-to-us-1941434.html[/URL]
  • Options
    dodrade said:

dodrade said:

kjohnw said:

dodrade said:

The 2005 exit poll also got the Labour Majority spot on, if not the exact number of seats for each party.

Found the 2010 article I referred to earlier.

[URL]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/voters-tell-brown-and-cameron-stop-lying-to-us-1941434.html[/URL]
    Sorry about the previous link.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/voters-tell-brown-and-cameron-stop-lying-to-us-1941434.html
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead

This week's 10 polls have a simple average Labour lead of 1.7% - ELBOW will be published once the YG tables are out.
    Remind us what last week's ELBOW was. Is Labour's lead up this week?
  • Options

I was tempted to do that with my Spurs winnings.
    Put it on Kelly instead! The TPD must be defeated too.
  • Options
    YouGov

50% think it would be a bad thing if SNP were part of coalition after election, only 16% a good thing

Among Labour supporters 37% would support a Labour deal with SNP, 38% would be opposed
  • Options
    The joint BBC/ITV/Sky GE exit poll is NOT designed to work out vote share. The objective is to produce seat projections which at 2005 & 2010 it did brilliantly
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

YouGov

People don't like CEOs in tax havens intervening in UK politics 73% felt Boots boss Pessina's intervention unacceptable

YouGov

Yes, that's what I've heard locally - opinion largely divided between people who feel it was fine for him to comment but who cares what a bloke in Monaco thinks, and people who think he should shut up. The Nottingham Post gave me a column on it today (where I took the former view).

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nick-Palmer/story-25981331-detail/story.html

• Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Did they ask a question about possible Conservative partners?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Did they ask a question about possible Conservative partners?

Don't know.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

YouGov

People don't like CEOs in tax havens intervening in UK politics ...

Really not Lord Ashcroft's best day, then.

• Options

kle4 said:

If you're applying for a job that requires a CRB or DBS check, it would show up already.
    It's part of the "let's make people unemployable if they have broken the law" meme. Unfortunately means the rest of us will continue to provide them with a living through the benefits system.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

YouGov

Clear showing what a bufoon Ed Milliband was then.

No italics as on mobile.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited February 2015
    Danny565 said:

10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead

Labour's lead was 0.8% last week,

Excluding YG (data awaited), but inc. Opinium, this week's lead is 1.5%
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's part of the "let's make people unemployable if they have broken the law" meme. Unfortunately means the rest of us will continue to provide them with a living through the benefits system.

Ah, so another plot to increase the size of the Benefits dependent Labour client vote
  • Options
    edited February 2015

YouGov

YouGov

Yes, that's what I've heard locally - opinion largely divided between people who feel it was fine for him to comment but who cares what a bloke in Monaco thinks, and people who think he should shut up. The Nottingham Post gave me a column on it today (where I took the former view).

Nick, a few comments:

However, it’s also right that when a viewpoint is put forward by someone who no longer lives in this country

Stefano has never lived in the UK. He grew up in Rome, moved to Milan for university and then moved to Monaco about 30 years ago when he separated from his wife.

does not pay taxes here

Not really accurate. He pays VAT and all sorts of other taxes. I'd assume (but have never asked) that he has PAYE applied to his Boots salary. But Alliance Sante (the source of his wealth) was always based outside the UK - it was a pan-European company based in Luxembourg that was set up to acquire ASI (his father's company) and the Spanish business that was his first international acquisition)

does not pay taxes here and is therefore not a contributing member of our society, that this is also highlighted

Bullshit. You can be a contributing member of society regardless of whether you pay tax or not. Society is not the same as the State.

Can I suggest you employ a fact-checker?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

Copyright - @SeanT

Who was closer to the result of the indyreferendum. Me. Not you.

Who was closer to the result of the GE? Me. Not you.

Who predicted the SNP surge post NO? Me. Not you.

And on and on and on. I've had five bets on pb and lost won, and won four, etc etc.

You'd better hope that you break this peerless record of inferiority to me, when it comes to my other predictions, terroristic or otherwise.

You were most certainly not closer to the 2010 GE result than me or either of the 2008 or 2012 US presidential elections and as I recall you were regularly wetting your knickers at the prospect of a SNP referendum win on the basis of one opinion poll.

PB decided I and not you was TOTY and how right their collective wisdom was.

Go back to frightening old ladies and the children. The rest of us will not be moved.

Er, I was also TOTY or whatever it was, and I was way closer to the GE result than you, and the rest of your remarks are irrelevant because no one knows whereof you speak. But who gives a f*ck, it's just a blog.

I was gonna add a vile but carefully honed insult here, but, y'know, what the hell. You are of senior years and I don't want a stupid argument with someone so venerable and honoured/

Pax. I hope you are feeling better after your break. Sincerely. The site would not be the same without you, old boy.
    Your were not TOTY but POTY .... well quite.

My GE prediction was Con 305 seats and a Coalition with the LibDems. One seat out.

However in the spirit of fraternal PBing I wish all your puss fill warts a speedy end and more power to your drink fuelled ramblings. It entertains us all

• Options
    Charles said:

@Peter_the_Punter FPT

BTW charles, have you had an opportunity to call in at the Finborough Arms as yet?

Been juggling a jetlagged baby, so not yet...

A one pound fine for Charles.

Do NOT confuse your PfPs and PtPs, Sir!
  • Options

Danny565 said:

10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead

Labour's lead was 0.8% last week
    Does that include the TNS 11%?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    perdix Charles Indeed, and some of DFID's budget should also be diverted to social care etc at home
  • Options
    On Topic. Answer to OGHs question (or is it bait), because the figures are distorted by large numbers of people in safe tory seats are planning to vote UKIP who voted tory last time and Labour has a leader who is about as easy to sell to the public as Rolfs paintings.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead

Excluding that poll, the lead was 0.4%.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    chestnut Labour would still win most seats and votes in Wales though, unlike Scotland, and because it has such big majorities in Wales only a handful of seats would fall to the Tories. Indeed the Tory vote is only up in Wales from 26% to 27% just as Labour's has fallen from 36% to 29%. the big rise is UKIP on 24%, not enough to make much difference to the significant number Labour would win from the Tories in England on the same poll
  • Options
    Charles said:

YouGov

YouGov

Nick, a few comments:

However, it’s also right that when a viewpoint is put forward by someone who no longer lives in this country

Stefano has never lived in the UK. He grew up in Rome, moved to Milan for university and then moved to Monaco about 30 years ago when he separated from his wife.

does not pay taxes here

Not really accurate. He pays VAT and all sorts of other taxes. I'd assume (but have never asked) that he has PAYE applied to his Boots salary. But Alliance Sante (the source of his wealth) was always based outside the UK - it was a pan-European company based in Luxembourg that was set up to acquire ASI (his father's company) and the Spanish business that was his first international acquisition)

does not pay taxes here and is therefore not a contributing member of our society, that this is also highlighted

Bullshit. You can be a contributing member of society regardless of whether you pay tax or not. Society is not the same as the State.

Can I suggest you employ a fact-checker?

"does not pay taxes here and is therefore not a contributing member of our society"

I didn't realise Nick had written that.

So anyone who doesn't pay taxes here - including millions of benefit claimants - are not a contributing member of our society.

Perhaps Ed/Nick would like to take the vote from them too?

Never realised this is what they thought.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Charles said:

perdix said:

HYUFD said:

After all they used the same trick (although more damagingly) when they shifted the World Service from the FCO to the BBC budget
    The RAF aid drops for Yazidi civilians fleeing ISIS were largely funded by the Department for International Development. Likewise, sending troops to help with Ebola.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead

You really shouldn't include that poll.

Not properly weighted.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunil I believe so, and India's space programme.

HYUFD
    DFID doesn't include the net £10 billion we give to the relatively well-off countries of the EU each year (Europe also has a space programme!).

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Odd spin from the Telegraph. It wasn't the government wot done it, it was those beastly civil servants.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Wonder at what point the Tories begin to panic if the polls continue to stay put.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wonder at what point the Tories begin to panic if the polls continue to stay put.

Good Lord. Why "panic"?

Ed Milband Will Never Be Prime Minister

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    edited February 2015

Danny565 said:

10 LAB leads
    4 CON-LAB level pegging
    1 CON lead

You really shouldn't include that poll.

Not properly weighted.
    As far as I know, Opinium and Ipsos-MORI don't past-vote weight either, and TNS-BMRB doesn't as a matter of routine. (Not sure about recent polls that have been published under the TNS/TNS Global brand).

• Options
    Mike, thanks for pointing out the effect of those English poll figures. They basically increase the Labour seats by 20 to 30 seats using almost any forecasting method, leaving them perhaps 10-15 seats short of a majority.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Jonathan said:

May 8th
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Past time for panic - either denial, resignation or they are in fact right are the options now
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Odd spin from the Telegraph. It wasn't the government wot done it, it was those beastly civil servants.
    It's quite normal for Civil Servants to be asked to spend their budgets by the end of the financial year. Personally, I think they should be rewarded for under-spending, assuming they achieve their objectives, and receive a proportion of the saving as a bonus.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

kle4 said:

Ah, so another plot to increase the size of the Benefits dependent Labour client vote
    Incorrect pensioners are the biggest group of benefit claimants they predominantly vote Tory
  • Options

Charles said:

perdix said:

HYUFD said:

The RAF aid drops for Yazidi civilians fleeing ISIS were largely funded by the Department for International Development. Likewise, sending troops to help with Ebola.
    Yes, but easy to do it with specific projects.

But you could make a case for allocating, say, £2bn from DfID's budget to the MoD as a contribution towards the standing cost of maintaining capacity for emergency humanitarian intervention.
  • Options
    Did anyone post this yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/07/labour-conservatives-opinion-poll-miliband-cameron

Opinium/Observer Lab 34% Con 32% UKIP 15% Green 8% Lib Dem 7%

Perhaps the "Ed is Crap" meme has been pushed so hard and long the public no longer take notice of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Sunil Indeed, which was also why there was such anger here over EU demands we increase our EU budget contributions. Personally, I would end ringfencing tomorrow, overseas aid, free TV licenses for wealthy pensioners, non-frontline health and education spending should face the same cuts as every other department

DecrepitJohnL It was of course the government target the civil servants had to meet
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2015

YouGov

50% think it would be a bad thing if SNP were part of coalition after election, only 16% a good thing

Among Labour supporters 37% would support a Labour deal with SNP, 38% would be opposed

I don't see what Labour would have to lose by ruling out a coalition with the SNP, the SNP have said it's very unlikely that they'd be up for it, so it wouldn't look opportunistic by Labour. Neither party wants a coalition. Judging by some Scottish polls, people in Scotland seem to think it's actually a viable option.

Confidence and supply on some issues and abstention on others would suit both Labour and the SNP. Once a minority government is formed the general public aren't going to be interested in who votes through each individual bill.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Incorrect pensioners are the biggest group of benefit claimants they predominantly vote Tory
    Complete non-sequitur.

But, in any case, you are obviously happy with the idea that criminals should be supported for the rest of their lives by the state.

This discussion has been closed.