Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How MPs with bigger majorities are more likely to be non-lo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited February 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How MPs with bigger majorities are more likely to be non-locals and much less likely to be women

I suppose one reason is that in the more marginal seats there are likely to be more selection contests because there’s a much better chance that they will change hands at a general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited February 2015
    So time for Clegg and Alexander to have a sex change op?
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2015

So time for Clegg and Alexander to have a sex change op?

Who'd notice?

It would be a distinction without a difference.
  • Options
    Nothing to do with SPADs and advisors being placed in super-safe seats I'm sure.....
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Poor UKIP painting themselves as victims in Rotherham limping in third...
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    edited February 2015

Can I ask some of PB's more older seasoned posters, as I wasn't even a teenager in 1992.

If the Tories had lost the 1992 General Election, am I right in thinking John Major would have resigned, if so, who would have been the next Tory leader?

Michael Heseltine?

No; I think he’d have been too associated with the ousting of Thatcher, which would have been blamed for the defeat. Probably Michael Howard.
    Michael Howard only became an MP in 1987 so to early for him
  • Options
    Very safe seats, almost by definition, are much more likely to have MPs who have been in place for many years. Given that until relatively recently (especially in the Conservative Party), most candidates, irrespective of the marginality of the seat, were male, it's not surprising that safe seats are more likely to have male MPs.

As the incumbents in safe seats retire, however, that will change, as in the constituency where I live:

http://www.wealdenconservatives.com/nus-ghani
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    BenM said:

?

We can bet on this of course...
  • Options
    BenM said:

I see you approve of attempts to shout down opposing views.

At least you're open about it, I suppose.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Labour in particular seem to do a very good job of getting their top people in very safe seats. I don't think a single cabinet minister lost their seat in 2010, although Ed Balls came close.
  • Options

BenM said:

I'm pleased to see the people of Rotherham chasing out shallow chancers from their town.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited February 2015

BenM said:

I'm not defending Sarah Champion at all but she's had to deal with some pretty nasty personal smears from Kippers including her Kipper opponent which has led to legal action.
  • Options
    Tim Stanley ‏@timothy_stanley · 54m54 minutes ago
    Ukip leader tries to visit Rotherham, site of horrific scandal, & is hounded by a mob. And the Left cheers the mob http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11395260/Nigel-Farage-abandons-walkabout-in-Rotherham-as-protesters-blockade-him.html
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

I'm pleased to see the people of Rotherham chasing out shallow chancers from their town.
    Yes, exactly. Intolerance of opposing views seems to be endemic on the left, I suppose because the worldview is all about demonising opponents rather than engaging in arguments.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Can I ask some of PB's more older seasoned posters, as I wasn't even a teenager in 1992.

If the Tories had lost the 1992 General Election, am I right in thinking John Major would have resigned, if so, who would have been the next Tory leader?

Michael Heseltine?

No; I think he’d have been too associated with the ousting of Thatcher, which would have been blamed for the defeat. Probably Michael Howard.
    '83 and he was in the Cabinet (and supported Thatcher).
  • Options
    sean thomas knox ‏@thomasknox · 38m38 minutes ago
    Another great day for Rotherham, then. http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/breaking-rotherham-sex-abuse-scandal-policeman-killed-1-7093216# … Policeman at centre of scandal suddenly killed in car crash.

• Options

I'm not defending Sarah Champion at all but she's had to deal with some pretty nasty personal smears from Kippers including her Kipper opponent which has led to legal action.

Yes, that too has been unpleasant.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BenM said:

BenM said:

What were the scores from the SYPCC election in Rotherham?

Here is are the results from the locals

UKIP 46%
    Labour 43%

http://www.leftfutures.org/2014/05/rotherham-election-analysis-ukip-win-the-popular-vote-in-disastrous-result-for-labour/
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited February 2015
    breaking: "South Yorks Police: PC Ali, under investigation regarding Rotherham sex abuse, has died following a car crash"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    And now the official denial...

@paulwaugh: Re FT story, Lab spksman: "misleading" to say Mandelson + @campbellclaret sounded out AJohnson. They were checking rumours + told false
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

Ukip leader tries to visit Rotherham, site of horrific scandal, & is hounded by a mob. And the Left cheers the mob http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11395260/Nigel-Farage-abandons-walkabout-in-Rotherham-as-protesters-blockade-him.html

Farage turned up this week knowing full well that 'rentamob' would too, enriching the publicity. I wonder who tipped off the Lefties?

He picks his moments.

Oh, and from the article, 'Onlookers described the protesters as noisy but peaceful.'
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    isam said:

The Left WAS the mob....
  • Options

isam said:

Farage turned up this week knowing full well that 'rentamob' would too, enriching the publicity.
    He is blessed in his opponents.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2015
    shadsy said:

Labour in particular seem to do a very good job of getting their top people in very safe seats. I don't think a single cabinet minister lost their seat in 2010, although Ed Balls came close.

Douglas Alexander would like a word
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    BenM said:

BenM said:

A pity they didn't spend as much energy chasing out the rapists, child abusers and councillors and policemen who turned a blind eye to their activities.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

isam said:

Farage turned up this week knowing full well that 'rentamob' would too, enriching the publicity. I wonder who tipped off the Lefties?

He picks his moments.
    Of course, he wrote an article about the visit in todays Independent, it was hardly a cloak and dagger operation

Rope-A-Dope
  • Options

Nothing to do with SPADs and advisors being placed in super-safe seats I'm sure.....

FPTP works very well for the PPE graduates.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Perhaps some of the lefties who went after Farage, might wonder why this happened.

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 2m2 minutes ago
    South Yorks policeman Hassan Ali - under investigation by police watchdog re Rotherham child sex abuse scandal - dies following a car crash
    0 replies 24 retweets 2 favorites
    Reply Retweet24 Favorite2
    More
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Perhaps some of the lefties who went after Farage, might wonder why this happened.

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 2m2 minutes ago
    South Yorks policeman Hassan Ali - under investigation by police watchdog re Rotherham child sex abuse scandal - dies following a car crash
    0 replies 24 retweets 2 favorites
    Reply Retweet24 Favorite2
    More

He was cracking on to the abused I hear...smooth
  • Options
    I'm at a loss as to why events in Rotherham should be "above politics" when they were clearly partly facilitated by the rotten politics of the town.

Sarah Champion, on the other hand, has come in from outside of those rotten politics, and has generally being doing a very decent job in very difficult circumstances. All the more disappointing that she should make such an off-key remark.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

He picks his moments.
    Of course, he wrote an article about the visit in todays Independent, it was hardly a cloak and dagger operation

Kind of proves the point - turns up trumpets blaring, publicity machine in full swing. Hardly a subtle and sympathetic fact finding mission is it.
  • Options
    isam said:

To be fair, a good way to keep an operation secret is to write about it in the Independent.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

He picks his moments.

Kind of proves the point - turns up trumpets blaring, publicity machine in full swing. Hardly a subtle and sympathetic fact finding mission is it.
    Yes I am agreeing with you. They fell into the trap

But it wasn't meant to be a fact finding mission, he was opening the campaign shop in a key target seat.

Don't one why you try to frame it as a fact finding mission? To win an argument on here? Shirley not
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Twitter
    Sarah Champion MP @SarahChampionMP

Hilarious Farage is trapped inside the #Rotherham UKIP shop by people objecting to him coming to rubber neck at victims!
    12:57 PM - 6 Feb 2015

Labour really are the nasty party - the level of hypocricy in that tweet is staggering and I'm no UKIP fan.
  • Options
    o/t - Hillary makes some appointments that indicate the question of whether she will run is settled (for those, TimT!, who thought it was still open). Also further indication that Warren wont run.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/mandy-grunwald-joins-hillary-clinton-team-114949.html
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Whether or not he's a shallow chancer he has a right to express his views. Would you like mob rule?
  • Options
    Oops! And another own goal from the party which just loves tax avoidance:)

BBC:
    13:36: Margaret Hodge attacks Labour links to PwC BBC Radio 4
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

Margaret Hodge MP, the chair of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) tells the BBC's World at One she thinks it is "inappropriate" for her party's shadow cabinet to be receiving support from staff on secondment from the accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @FrankBooth
    Mob rule is reserved for PMQ's.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    felix said:

Twitter

Hilarious Farage is trapped inside the #Rotherham UKIP shop by people objecting to him coming to rubber neck at victims!

Labour really are the nasty party - the level of hypocricy in that tweet is staggering and I'm no UKIP fan.

Farage ran away from the breastfeeding woman!

Funny as hell. Jog on Farage - your vile Party not wanted in Rotherham.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BenM said:

BenM said:

That is considerably more revealing than you realise.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

shadsy said:

There's a structural reason for Cabinet Ministers and Shadows generally having safe seats. You need 10-15 years of steady promotion to get there (if that's your aim), and usually that will include one election where you party did badly. Anyone with a marginal seat is likely to lose, interrupting their career. So it's not that when you're a front-bencher you magically get a safe seat, but that people with safe seats have a better chance to become front-benchers.
  • Options
    BenM said:

felix said:

Twitter

There is only one vile party in Rotherham and it's not UKIP. The resignation of the entire Labour cabinet this week and the Casey report might give even you a clue.
  • Options
    felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

Margaret Hodge MP, the chair of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) tells the BBC's World at One she thinks it is "inappropriate" for her party's shadow cabinet to be receiving support from staff on secondment from the accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)

Will she be returning all the money she earned when she worked for them?

• Options

shadsy said:

There's a structural reason for Cabinet Ministers and Shadows generally having safe seats. You need 10-15 years of steady promotion to get there (if that's your aim), and usually that will include one election where you party did badly. Anyone with a marginal seat is likely to lose, interrupting their career. So it's not that when you're a front-bencher you magically get a safe seat, but that people with safe seats have a better chance to become front-benchers.
    Quite true - the Conservative carnage in 1997 being the exception that proves the rule
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2015
    Sarah Champion MP's latest tweet is a re-tweet of someone calling her "awesome". Seems a bit on the narcissistic side to me.

https://twitter.com/sarahchampionmp
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

He picks his moments.

He's trying to win the seat off Labour. Publicity is usually a good idea.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sarah Champion MP's latest tweet is a re-tweet of someone calling her "awesome". Seems a bit on the narcissistic side to me.

To be fair I suspected that once I learned she'd changed her name from Sarah Jones*

*not actually true
  • Options
    Some on here said Farages visit was a fiasco for Ukip...

Shrewdies...

What a gift Sarah Champions words will turn out to be in the campaign

Ukip won the popular vote by 3% in the locals and it was neck and neck in the SYPCC election...

Labour a very poor 1/4 shot in rotherham
  • Options
    isam said:

Ukip won the popular vote by 3% in the locals and it was neck and neck in the SYPCC election...

Turnout will be much higher in May and the MP seems genuinely impressive (what a stroke for her that the documentary featuring her efforts to influence child protection legislation was screened this week, not that all that many constituents will have seen it). I think she's a strong favourite to win.
  • Options
    isam said:

Shrewdies...

isam said:

Shrewdies...

isam said:

Shrewdies...

Easy hold for Labour.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'm no twitter expert but wasnt she just thanking someone who tweeted a compliment to her?

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    Neil said:

Michael Heseltine?

'83 and he was in the Cabinet (and supported Thatcher).
    Had something of the night about him then, as well. Whoever suggested Lamont and Clarke could well have been right, too.
  • Options
    Neil said:

AndyJS said:

I'm no twitter expert but wasnt she just thanking someone who tweeted a compliment to her?

That's what the favourite button is usually used for (or you could simply reply "thanks".

RT'ing praise is a bit of a dickish thing to do, though plenty of celebs and MPs do...
  • Options
    The unspoken question: Where are the Tories in Rotherham by the way?

Shouldn't the nation's mainstream opposition Party be hounding and trouncing the hapless local Labour representation after the egregious failures of care for young girls in the town?

They seem to have melted away and so outsourced the job to vile UKIP goons whose only interest is to exploit community division and hate.

Rotherham sorely needs the Tories to step up to the plate in the area. Where are they?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    BenM said:

felix said:

Twitter

"coming to rubber neck at victims" is just unbelievable, in the circumstances.

I think even dear old Hugh would have spotted that this is not a good day for Lab to be giving it large about Rotherham. Can I suggest radio silence on the subject from you for the rest of the day, as a mark of deepest sympathy for the tragic loss of PC Hassan Ali?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Shouldn't the nation's mainstream opposition Party be hounding and trouncing the hapless local Labour representation after the egregious failures of care for young girls in the town?

They seem to have melted away and so outsourced the job to vile UKIP goons whose only interest is to exploit community division and hate.

Rotherham sorely needs the Tories to step up to the plate in the area. Where are they?

I hope this isnt your canvassing style.

• Options
    BenM said:

If they were there you (and others like you) would be accusing them of exploiting community division and hate. Spare us your weasel concern.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    When are Labour going to apologise for essentially their one-party politics in Rotherham turning a blind eye to rape of the children of its voters on an industrial scale?

Or are they too busy tweeting about the antics of their mob?

I just hope to God there is a Biblical justice descending on Labour. Smiting would be good. I'd settle for a thunderstorm of hail and fire.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071

Neil said:

AndyJS said:

That's what the favourite button is usually used for (or you could simply reply "thanks".

RT'ing praise is a bit of a dickish thing to do, though plenty of celebs and MPs do...
    You’d think she’d have learned by now, but her background is working in places which are generally supportive and friendly, unlike politics!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Neil said:

AndyJS said:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but it still seems a bit self-congratulatory to me. She could have thanked the person privately.
  • Options

shadsy said:

I think that if politicians have a reputation for competence from endeavours exterior to Parliament, it is perhaps not so necessary for them to work their way up, in the way that you describe.

I know Churchill was an unusual character, but I think he represented three different constituencies, after losing his seat twice.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Neil said:

AndyJS said:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but it still seems a bit self-congratulatory to me. She could have thanked the person privately.
    Is it possible to have an old-fashioned twitter style?

• Options
    BenM said:

felix said:

Twitter

Jeez - much of the time you have been one of the saner left-wing posters on here. This is not worthy of you. I guess we can expect more of this as Labour's chances slip away.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

Worth listening to her squirm as her past record of working for PwC - including that she draws a pension - is revealed, one morsel at a time.

Hypocrisy crawls out the woodwork to shame them whenever Labour tries to make a political point these days.
  • Options
    Tory candidate is Sebastian Lowe.

https://twitter.com/sebastianmlowe
    BenM said:

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    BenM said:

Do stop embarrassing yourself, and us.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    As we speak some journalist is busily trying to find out the ID of the crowd members in Rotherham, if any are associated with the local Labour party expect a shit storm in the press.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

Worth listening to her squirm as her past record of working for PwC - including that she draws a pension - is revealed, one morsel at a time.

Hypocrisy crawls out the woodwork to shame them whenever Labour tries to make a political point these days.
    And yet they are completely incapable of seeing it. The general view is basically that anything goes for Labour because they are the good guys. They are so 'Animal Farm'!
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Turnout will be much higher in May and the MP seems genuinely impressive (what a stroke for her that the documentary featuring her efforts to influence child protection legislation was screened this week, not that all that many constituents will have seen it). I think she's a strong favourite to win.

Yes, it's amazing that Labour managed to find her given just how sclerotic its operation in that part of the world seems to be.

Given the consistent abuse she has had from UKIP supporters it's not a surprise that she tweeted what she did. Hopefully, it will not cause her too many problems, though I guess the Mail and one or two other right-wing papers will do a job on her.

• Options
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

And yet they are completely incapable of seeing it. The general view is basically that anything goes for Labour because they are the good guys. They are so 'Animal Farm'!

Whereas we all know that Labour is a vile, venal party and anyone who votes for them is repulsive pond life who no fair minded person could like.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Democracy in action: 40 protesters stop Farage in Rotherham compared to 27,949 people who voted UKIP in Rotherham in the Euro elections.

twitter.com/emma_hoddinott/status/470672955434074112
  • Options

Polly Toynbee has been touting her all week as a proposed chair of an "Office of Tax Responsibility", culminating in this

@CathyWood55: @pollytoynbee Miliband needs to weaponise Margaret Hodge.

That I would love to see...
  • Options

Neil said:

isam said:

Yes, it's amazing that Labour managed to find her given just how sclerotic its operation in that part of the world seems to be.

Given the consistent abuse she has had from UKIP supporters it's not a surprise that she tweeted what she did. Hopefully, it will not cause her too many problems, though I guess the Mail and one or two other right-wing papers will do a job on her.

She should know better: in fact her instincts should be better. She's advocating shutting down debate by silencing (or "no platforming") critics. The irony is palpable.

By the way, SO, congrats on your posts on Rotherham over the last few days. You get it.
  • Options

Neil said:

isam said:

I predict it will widely be presented on here as a complete disaster for Labour, that will cause utter meltdown among its ranks and lead to a contagion of electoral failure across the Red Riding. And that the remaining 99.999999% of the UK population won't notice.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Do stop embarrassing yourself, and us.
    Yes, let's all avoid legitimate questions.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289

shadsy said:

That must be part of it. But also there are quite a few people at the top of the Labour party who were obviously rising stars before they became MPs and, as a result, got very safe seats, to which they have no local connection. They were obviously just much better than the local candidates, who would otherwise have had an advantage.
    e.g. Miliband x 2, Reeves, Hunt.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    You have to hand it to the Labour Party. It would try and make political capital out of 2 dogs shagging in the street if they were wearing Tory rosettes.

Labour presided over the needless death of thousands of patients in Mid Staffs and elsewhere, squandered £billions on a failed IT system and began the systematic privatisation of the NHS but Andy Burnham is indignant when anyone dares criticise Labour's handling of the NHS and it's weaponising of the topic.

Labour presided over the wholesale abuse of thousands of mostly teenage girls by Asian gangs in Rotherham and elsewhere but the current Labour MP blames Nigel Farage for daring to suggest Labour in many parts of the north of England is corrupt and rotten to the core.

Let's see the media actually expose Labour's record in our civic society and across the NHS.

Incidentally I wonder how much happier the LibDem association in Redcar must be today with the resignation of a whole group of Labour councillors.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

Margaret Hodge is a self-righteous hypocrite whose deplorable record at Islington Council should bar her from our airwaves and, in my view, Parliament. Someone who ran a council where children in care were abused, who had no adequate procedures to protect those children, who denied the scale of the problem when it was uncovered preferring to lash out at the press and who, and this is the most disgraceful of all, attacked victims who complained is not, in my view, fit to be an MP let alone someone who seems to think it her duty to lecture the rest of us on morality.

She was also Minister for Children from 2003 - 2005. Note that this was at a time when councils such as Rotherham were busy turning a blind eye to widespread child abuse in their town.

The fact that she even thought she might be in the running to be Labour candidate for London Mayor and that when she withdrew she bestoyed her imprimatur on a black or ethnic minority candidate is testament only to her monumentally over-sized ego.

• Options

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

Whereas we all know that Labour is a vile, venal party and anyone who votes for them is repulsive pond life who no fair minded person could like.
    No - although BenM and, today the fragrant Ms. Champion, do seem to have let the mask slip.
    As for Ms Hodge I'm sure she was as tireless a worker for PWC as when she used to run Children's Services in, Camden, was it? I forget. OMG I'm Ed Balls!
  • Options
    El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145
    Might be relevant to know what the distribution of all seats with >15000 majorities etc is, before drawing conclusions. Can we have normalised data?

Aside from the point about many big majorities predating the recent influx of women, I can imagine that places like Glasgow will have a lot of big majorities and a relatively low proportion of working women, so their MPs will tend to reflect the working population.
  • Options
    shadsy said:

also there are quite a few people at the top of the Labour party who were obviously rising stars before they became MPs and, as a result, got very safe seats, to which they have no local connection. They were obviously just much better than the local candidates, who would otherwise have had an advantage.

there are quite a few people at the top of the Labour party who were obviously rising stars part of a cosy elite through family or other connections

Fixed it for you...

At least one of your 'stars' went Supernova last night and is heading for a Black Hole
  • Options
    @Digitalnun: Poor Tristram Hunt. Think how much brighter he might be if he'd been taught by nuns. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    El_Sid said:

Might be relevant to know what the distribution of all seats with >15000 majorities etc is, before drawing conclusions. Can we have normalised data?

Aside from the point about many big majorities predating the recent influx of women, I can imagine that places like Glasgow will have a lot of big majorities and a relatively low proportion of working women, so their MPs will tend to reflect the working population.

I've done a spreadsheet of the 2010 election results so you can see them on one page so-to-speak if you're interested...
  • Options

Incidentally I wonder how much happier the LibDem association in Redcar must be today with the resignation of a whole group of Labour councillors.

They'll be ecstatic as they may now be able to snatch defeat from the jaws of annihilation.
  • Options
    Jacqui Smith was an exception: Redditch was never really a safe seat.
    shadsy said:

shadsy said:

That must be part of it. But also there are quite a few people at the top of the Labour party who were obviously rising stars before they became MPs and, as a result, got very safe seats, to which they have no local connection. They were obviously just much better than the local candidates, who would otherwise have had an advantage.
  • Options
    BenM said:

felix said:

Twitter

Clearly wanted more than Labour judging by the local election results.
  • Options
    It's that lard again.

'General Election 2015 Polls Are 'Corrupted' And Should Be Banned, Says Labour Peer

A senior Labour peer has accused polling companies of becoming "corrupted" by money from newspapers who want to influence the outcome of the general election in May.
    Lord Foulkes, who was a Labour MP from 1979 until 2005, said polls were increasingly "being manipulated at the behest of people with money, whether they be the media or individuals, as part of the political process". He has also called for there to be a ban on the publication of opinion polls in the weeks leading up to election day.'

https://archive.today/8WMKA#selection-3981.0-3993.334
  • Options

Did they resign their seats? I thought they just resigned their executive posts
  • Options
    Just read the article about the Rotherham protests

What is this "bigatry" they oppose?
  • Options

Neil said:

isam said:

They don't need to do a job on her. She has done a job on herself.
  • Options

The bigatry of spelling nazis
  • Options
    Colour me shocked. Labour stalwart doesn't like objective polls showing his party about to lose 90% of its seats in Scotland.

It's that lard again.

'General Election 2015 Polls Are 'Corrupted' And Should Be Banned, Says Labour Peer

A senior Labour peer has accused polling companies of becoming "corrupted" by money from newspapers who want to influence the outcome of the general election in May.
    Lord Foulkes, who was a Labour MP from 1979 until 2005, said polls were increasingly "being manipulated at the behest of people with money, whether they be the media or individuals, as part of the political process". He has also called for there to be a ban on the publication of opinion polls in the weeks leading up to election day.'

https://archive.today/8WMKA#selection-3981.0-3993.334

• Options
    Incidentally, though I hesitate to give advice to the Labour Party, I can't help feeling that it's not particularly in their interests to draw attention to the party-political ramifications of the Rotherham scandal.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Digitalnun: Poor Tristram Hunt. Think how much brighter he might be if he'd been taught by nuns. ;)

He might also have learnt better manners, rather than the bien-pensant condescension he displayed.

Hunt is an example of the sort of person who has been so apparently well educated (good A-levels, degree, post-grad etc) that it takes a while to realise that he really is not very intelligent at all, has scarcely an original thought in his head and lacks any sort of curiosity about anything outside his own well-polished but rather limited world, physical and mental.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

I wonder if she has found out yet how Stemcor managed to pay only 0.01% Corporation Tax on £2.1 billion of turnover generated in the UK.
  • Options

Neil said:

isam said:

They don't need to do a job on her. She has done a job on herself.
    I'm sure she'll be happy to have her constituents judge her on her record in May.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

BBC:
    Labour MP Margaret Hodge

Margaret Hodge is a self-righteous hypocrite whose deplorable record at Islington Council should bar her from our airwaves and, in my view, Parliament. Someone who ran a council where children in care were abused, who had no adequate procedures to protect those children, who denied the scale of the problem when it was uncovered preferring to lash out at the press and who, and this is the most disgraceful of all, attacked victims who complained is not, in my view, fit to be an MP let alone someone who seems to think it her duty to lecture the rest of us on morality.

She was also Minister for Children from 2003 - 2005. Note that this was at a time when councils such as Rotherham were busy turning a blind eye to widespread child abuse in their town.

The fact that she even thought she might be in the running to be Labour candidate for London Mayor and that when she withdrew she bestoyed her imprimatur on a black or ethnic minority candidate is testament only to her monumentally over-sized ego.

Why Keith Vaz remains in politics, is a mystery too.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, he's been well-trained to jump through academic hoops.

Mr. Vale, it's a typo. They're industrialists, opposed to a bigger tree.
  • Options

Against taller trees?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The bigatry of spelling nazis
    Ooh! :-)

I know we all make typos sometimes but you would think if you are ordering a large number of placards you would check...
This discussion has been closed.