Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the Ukaine crisis and NATO meeting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited February 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the Ukaine crisis and NATO meeting

As NATO meets with the Ukraine crisis looking gives her take pic.twitter.com/lTiQD5g2xV

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tick, tick, tick, first!
  • Options
    @isam FPT

In the way that Turing was (chemically) castrated?
  • Options
    In the corridors of NATO, divisions brew between the wearers of spectacles and the users of contact lenses.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Charles said:

@isam FPT

A pair of bricks would suffice.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

Apparently it's painless, as long as you're careful to keep your thumbs out.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

Surely it's just a case of a few rubber bands and eventually they drop off by themselves?

This could be the weirdest thread ever on pbc...

• Options
    I find it difficult to find anything funny about the possibility of war with Russia
  • Options
    Rather than following a solution that relied on arming Ukraine, I would rather bring two bricks together on Russia's economic undercarriage.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

From the poll, doubt SNP will gain Glasgow NE,

And East, North, South look safe enough SNP to me

SW and NW could both be tight

Central probably stays SNP whatever the weather but if Labour put in enough work isn't outside reach.

Bear in mind that the polls may well understate the SNP's position, because it was compiled by reference to respondents' recall of their vote in 2010 (some respondents will be confused by the 2011 election, where far more voters opted for the SNP).

But that looks like an accurate enough summary of the way in which the seats might swing back to Labour.
    Thanks,

I'll let my big fat Cumbernauld bet ride then, and won't hedge out of the 3-1 £50 I have on Coatbridge.

Coatbridge coming in would be the icing on the cake.
    Checking my spreadsheet I have a whole £7 on Coatbridge at 3-1.

Hedging would get me £4 net. I'm following your fine example and letting it ride.

I have 7 £10 pounds best, 1 each, on the Glasgow constituencies, max Net Return is £227 if they all come in - can hedge out for £78 net. 111% return on my money risk free sounds pretty good. . .

But I'm going to let them ride!

Maybe.
    I need you campaigning hard in Edinburgh East !
    I got on at 3.25 and took another dab at 1.83 in Edinburgh East.

Unfortunately it looks like the Labour MP is putting in a lot of personal effort - door-to-door canvassing across the whole constituency, even visited me and I still have a Yes poster up in the window.

I was feeding my baby at the time otherwise I'd have been willing to have a good long chat.
  • Options

I find it difficult to find anything funny about the possibility of war with Russia

You should watch Dr. Strangelove. Lots of potential for humour in the possibility of war with the Ruskies.

• Options
    Neil said:

You should watch Dr. Strangelove. Lots of potential for humour in the possibility of war with the Ruskies.

Not when you've got grandchildren
  • Options

Not when you've got grandchildren

The grandkids will love it too.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Neil said:

Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War room!"

• Options

Yes - mordant Marf.

Much as I dislike Putin and his thuggish kleptocracy it doesn't seem to me smart politics to corner him, even if one can.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

"Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you *keep* it a *secret*! Why didn't you tell the world, EH? "
    "It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Charles said:

@isam FPT

Well any way you like really

But I must say I don't know (which means I don't know, not trying to make a sarcastic point) whether it is right to punish someone for a crime committed in the past by the method of punishment we have now? Is that poor form? I think it probably is on reflection

Also, if you look at the way progressive politics has led us, it may not be a crime for middle aged men to have sex with 10 year olds in 60 years or so, and films might be made about the cruel treatment Glitter received by even being put in jail/stopped shagging children

60 odd years ago people probably said Turing was a filthbag for being gay, but today he is a martyr, so I guess you have to consider the zeitgeist, strange as it may seem to us now
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    There is a bit of overload at the moment in that there are too many different news stories fighting for attention. There is ebola bubbling under, Ukraine, Greece, the EZ and domestically an ever rising tide of filth involving the abuse of children, a story with more legs than Scylla. Oh, and the UK is still in danger of breaking up on the back of an SNP tidalwave and has the best part of a £100bn a year deficit.

This is lot for any government to handle, especially a Coalition government winding down towards disengagement. There must be a risk that they will look like they are struggling to cope and undermine the competence card. Of course the electorate may look at Ed and just shudder at the prospect of him coping with such an in tray but there is definitely a risk of a wheel either coming off or being perceived to have done so.

In the words of the old Chinese curse we do indeed live in interesting times.

• Options
    Neil said:

On a similar theme, though much gentler, The Russians Are Coming (starring Alan Arkin) has a rather happier ending. Faced with Armageddon, they all decide to start talking sensibly.

I wouldn't rely on Putin to do likewise.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Rather than following a solution that relied on arming Ukraine, I would rather bring two bricks together on Russia's economic undercarriage.

I thought that was what the oil price was about.
  • Options

Neil said:

On a similar theme, though much gentler, The Russians Are Coming (starring Alan Arkin) has a rather happier ending. Faced with Armageddon, they all decide to start talking sensibly.

I wouldn't rely on Putin to do likewise.
    There was a link on the last thread to a report of some analysts thinking he has Asperger's. No idea about the merits of their analysis but he does seem to be a very strange bird. The FT did some in-depth reporting of the lead up to and fall out from the Minsk agreement over the last couple of days and he does come across as a hell of a loose cannon.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Central probably stays SNP whatever the weather but if Labour put in enough work isn't outside reach.

Bear in mind that the polls may well understate the SNP's position, because it was compiled by reference to respondents' recall of their vote in 2010 (some respondents will be confused by the 2011 election, where far more voters opted for the SNP).

But that looks like an accurate enough summary of the way in which the seats might swing back to Labour.
    Thanks,

I'll let my big fat Cumbernauld bet ride then, and won't hedge out of the 3-1 £50 I have on Coatbridge.

Hedging would get me £4 net. I'm following your fine example and letting it ride.

I have 7 £10 pounds best, 1 each, on the Glasgow constituencies, max Net Return is £227 if they all come in - can hedge out for £78 net. 111% return on my money risk free sounds pretty good. . .

Maybe.

Unfortunately it looks like the Labour MP is putting in a lot of personal effort - door-to-door canvassing across the whole constituency, even visited me and I still have a Yes poster up in the window.

I was feeding my baby at the time otherwise I'd have been willing to have a good long chat.
    Only needs a 12% swing, how does the No vote in Edinburgh compare to Gordon ?
  • Options
    More news from the end of last thread.

Twenty more people have been charged with sexual offences as part of police’s Operation Sanctuary probe.

Those charged in Newcastle with rape, sexual exploitation, drug or other offences, but not yet tried of course are:

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ebrahim Ali Habibur Rahim
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

See http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbria-police-charged-20-people-8587632
  • Options
    Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

"Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you *keep* it a *secret*! Why didn't you tell the world, EH? "
    "It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises."
    Apparently the Soviets actually did have something like that during the Cold War, and did keep it secret, and refuse now to comment as to whether it is still operational.

A whole bunch of sensors set up to detect whether a nuclear bomb has gone off over Russia, and if communications with command and control have been cut, up go a bunch of communication missiles to send the launch codes to any surviving nuclear missiles scattered across Russia.

It is not possible to over-estimate Russian paranoia.
  • Options

Twenty more people have been charged with sexual offences as part of police’s Operation Sanctuary probe.

Those charged in Newcastle with rape, sexual exploitation, drug or other offences, but not yet tried of course are:

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

See http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbria-police-charged-20-people-8587632

Presbyterians then, eh?
  • Options
    Despite OGH's "Best Value" tip to the contrary today, Sporting's GE2015 Seats mid-spread prices shows a slight widening in the Tory lead over Labour, i.e. 283 vs 277, with the LibDems steady on 27 seats.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There is a bit of overload at the moment in that there are too many different news stories fighting for attention. There is ebola bubbling under, Ukraine, Greece, the EZ and domestically an ever rising tide of filth involving the abuse of children, a story with more legs than Scylla. Oh, and the UK is still in danger of breaking up on the back of an SNP tidalwave and has the best part of a £100bn a year deficit.

This is lot for any government to handle, especially a Coalition government winding down towards disengagement. There must be a risk that they will look like they are struggling to cope and undermine the competence card. Of course the electorate may look at Ed and just shudder at the prospect of him coping with such an in tray but there is definitely a risk of a wheel either coming off or being perceived to have done so.

I think we can safely say that anyone whose thought processes were heading down the route of "things are scary. We need the firm, capable leadership of Ed Miliband in this time of troubles" is not really a swing voter.....
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Apparently the Soviets actually did have something like that during the Cold War, and did keep it secret, and refuse now to comment as to whether it is still operational.

A whole bunch of sensors set up to detect whether a nuclear bomb has gone off over Russia, and if communications with command and control have been cut, up go a bunch of communication missiles to send the launch codes to any surviving nuclear missiles scattered across Russia.

"Based on the findings of the report, my conclusion was that this idea was not a practical deterrent for reasons which at this moment must be all too obvious."

(It's funnier if you read it to yourself in Sellars' wonderful accent.)
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

DavidL said:

I think we can safely say that anyone whose thought processes were heading down the route of "things are scary. We need the firm, capable leadership of Ed Miliband in this time of troubles" is not really a swing voter.....
    Indeed not. Welcome aboard or back as appropriate.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, back on Labour vs business, the FT have also been busy:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/73f2f05e-ad25-11e4-bfcf-00144feab7de.html?siteedition=uk#axzz3QnavtK8e
  • Options
    Has Denmark finally found a way to solve the deficit problem? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11391826/ECB-Germany-and-Greek-market-reaction-live.html

Their lending rate is now -0.75%.

If we could achieve that borrowing £100bn a year would give us a profit of £7.5bn or approximately twice the cuts the Lib Dems accept are needed to the welfare budget.

Have we gone through the looking glass or what?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Always just a matter of time until Europe turned on the US policy of escalating the conflict.

Just a matter of time till the rest of Ukraine turns on the Galicians.

We have been very lucky we have a cool pragmatist in the Kremlin who has largely ignored the limp baiting by the US and their media chums.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

"Based on the findings of the report, my conclusion was that this idea was not a practical deterrent for reasons which at this moment must be all too obvious."

(It's funnier if you read it to yourself in Sellars' wonderful accent.)
    The Group Captain Mandrake character is brilliant, as are his interchanges with General "Bat" Guano.

• Options
    FalseFlag said:

Always just a matter of time until Europe turned on the US policy of escalating the conflict.

We have been very lucky we have a cool pragmatist in the Kremlin who has largely ignored the limp baiting by the US and their media chums.

Bravo, sir! Up there with the quotes from Dr. Strangelove in the belly-tickling stakes. And they said we couldnt make fun of war with the Russians!

• Options
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Funny I thought it was a consequence of over supply partly due to loose monetary policy funding malinvestment in US shale and a drop in demand from slow world economic growth. Conditions now correcting themselves.

Saudi production has remained flat.
  • Options

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Presbyterians then, eh?
    According to an FT headline Pegida are planning a rally in Newcastle.

• Options
    The sooner Putin comes out of the closet the better for everyone.
  • Options

The sooner Putin comes out of the closet the better for everyone.

He's likely to come out of it all guns blazing, though......

• Options

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Old Uncle Tom Cobbley slips through the net yet again
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    It seems some people on PB want to start a race war.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Presbyterians then, eh?

Yes. End of Feb.

Also planning one for Manchester. No date
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks,

Maybe.

You'll be pleased to know that Edinburgh East is the highest Yes voting Area of Edinburgh with a stonking 47.2% Yes
  • Options
    Mr. Animal, welcome to pb.com.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Presbyterians then, eh?

Bloody foreign islamophobes, coming over here and taking over our islamophobes' protests.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks,

Maybe.

You'll be pleased to know that Edinburgh East is the highest Yes voting Area of Edinburgh with a stonking 47.2% Yes
    Yes !!

Not counting chickens but the SNP should be ahead at least then ;)
  • Options
    Neil said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

Surely it's just a case of a few rubber bands and eventually they drop off by themselves?

That's going to be banned by the European Union (from June 2017 I believe)

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Nothing could be further than the truth. The people on this site are merely noticing what is going on around them.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Met Police interviewing 85-year old man as part of Yewtree "Others" investigation...
  • Options
    Pop fact of the day

Abu Hamza's real name

Mustafa Kamel
  • Options
    Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Presbyterians then, eh?

Bloody foreign islamophobes, coming over here and taking over our islamophobes' protests.
    I think I might attend.

Could be as much as a hoot as the time I tried to join the BNP
  • Options
    Charles said:

Neil said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

Rubber banded
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Neil said:

FalseFlag said:

Bravo, sir! Up there with the quotes from Dr. Strangelove in the belly-tickling stakes. And they said we couldnt make fun of war with the Russians!

He's right though.

• Options

War will only happen if there is a misunderstanding. At the moment both sides understand that NATO will not act directly to contest a covert Russian conquest of Eastern Ukraine.

The risk of war only arises if Putin were to come to believe that NATO would stand idly by in the event of a similar attempt on Latvia or Estonia (both with Russian minorities of ~25%) when NATO members were determined to fulfil their treaty commitments to defend the Baltic states.

As it is, Western policy is to make Putin's conquests pyrrhic, such that the cost is sufficient to deter the next. We'll give just enough support to Ukraine to make it difficult for Russia, without giving enough that we become emotionally invested in achieving victory. I don't know where Kiev lies. Potentially it's a 21st century Prague.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Presbyterians then, eh?

Yes. End of Feb.

Also planning one for Manchester. No date
    The last thing we need IMO. And haven't they lost a lot of their leaders lately?

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Would it have been possible to determine who actually had fired the missiles at them? China or the USA or North Korea?
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    There have been at least 2 cases where a Russian didn't fire the nuclear missiles he was told to and thus averted WWIII - one during the Cuban missile crisis and one in 1983. So there must be some hope that sanity will prevail. However, the Russians do feel aggrieved and are having a tough time - again/still. They have never really experience democracy, having gone straight from tsars and serfs to commissars and comrades (i.e. serfs) and from there to some sort of mad free for all which still involves autorcratic bosses and powerless masses. With a strong thread of nationalist pro-Slav xenophobia thrown in. Suppose the French had annexed the Isle of Wight and we sent troops in to get it back. That's how they feel about the Crimea. Not saying it's right, but that is how they feel.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this is an urban myth or not.

But didn't one teenage guy and his girlfriend use a crisp packet and a rubber band as a condom.

I just hope they didn't use a packet of salt and vinegar.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

But I must say I don't know (which means I don't know, not trying to make a sarcastic point) whether it is right to punish someone for a crime committed in the past by the method of punishment we have now? Is that poor form? I think it probably is on reflection

Also, if you look at the way progressive politics has led us, it may not be a crime for middle aged men to have sex with 10 year olds in 60 years or so, and films might be made about the cruel treatment Glitter received by even being put in jail/stopped shagging children

60 odd years ago people probably said Turing was a filthbag for being gay, but today he is a martyr, so I guess you have to consider the zeitgeist, strange as it may seem to us now
    It seems to me - and I know we disagree - that the state shouldn't be able to claim that sort of right over the individual citizen.

If their crime is deemed sufficiently serious that they should be permanently excluded from society (i.e. exile or in prison until they die) that's fine.

But to hang someone, or to castrate them, or to cut off their hands, or gouge out their eyes, etc, seems to put the state in a position of power over the individual that they have no right to assume.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Funny I thought it was a consequence of over supply partly due to loose monetary policy funding malinvestment in US shale and a drop in demand from slow world economic growth. Conditions now correcting themselves.

Saudi is a swing producer who has refused to swing. Since it is not in their interests to sell a finite commodity on the cheap one has to ask why.

The obvious answers are that they want Russia to abandon their support for Assad and they want to put the screws on Iran so it finds it harder to fund its proxy wars. And, I suspect, the Americans asked them to for these reasons and Ukraine. In the past the Saudis have not been particularly susceptible to US pressure but these are dangerous times.
  • Options
    I'm in charge of Russia in the pb.com diplomacy game right now, I assure you all Galicia will not be invaded.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Christians just as bad
    Crusades
    Abortion
    etc.

Responds most of pb.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pop fact of the day

Abu Hamza's real name

Mustafa Kamel

Any excuse to link to this:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/we-all-feel-like-that-now-and-then.html
  • Options
    Hold the world changes.

A few years ago I was more worried about Vince Cable deploying his nuclear weapon because some pretty lady journalists batted their eyelashes at him than I was worried about Putin.
  • Options

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Christians just as bad
    Crusades
    Abortion
    etc.

Responds most of pb.
    Nope, not a single response along those lines. But not to worry with facts, just make up your own.

• Options
    I once wrote an essay on who were our closet allies in Europe.

I said it was the Russians, we're the bookends of Europe that keep the Germans in their place.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Nothing could be further than the truth. The people on this site are merely noticing what is going on around them.

Quite. I for one would like the very real problems we do have to be dealt with firmly now so that we avoid much worse happening later, in the interests of all of us, whatever race or religion we are.

The longer you delay the more you have to do and the more difficult it is. Big problems never start out as big. They start small. They're ignored. And then when they are big and/or unavoidable, you sometimes have to take drastic measures. That is, once you've got past the people wailing that the problem's so big that there's nothing you can do or you can't get rid of it all or this is all going to be horrible, let's put our fingers in our ears and shout "la la we can't hear you".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

Eisa Mousavi
    Monjur Choudhury
    Redwan Siddquee
    Mohammed Hassan Ali,
    Abdulhamid Minoyee
    Ibrahim Rousel
    Mohammed Khalique
    Mohammed Azram
    Nadeem Aslam
    Prabhat Nelli
    Taherul Alam
    Yassar Hussain
    Jahangir Zaman
    Badrul Hussain
    Abdul Sabe
    Karzan Mohammed
    Saiful Islam
    Nashir Uddin

Responds most of pb.
    Clearly you are reading a different pb than I am then, or have a different definition of 'most'.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Pop fact of the day

Abu Hamza's real name

Mustafa Kamel

Any excuse to link to this:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/we-all-feel-like-that-now-and-then.html
    My thought exactly!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    FPT

@DavidL

'The government is accused of doing nothing but the courts are going to grind to a halt at this rate.'

Is there any city or major town left in the UK that hasn't been contaminated by these scumbags?
  • Options

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Would it have been possible to determine who actually had fired the missiles at them? China or the USA or North Korea?
    The bit I read about this didn't say. I think that at that stage they would be past caring and the remaining missiles would simply hit their default targets. Slough if we were lucky.
  • Options

Charles said:

Neil said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

Rubber banded
    I know way, way too much about the sexual organs of pigs

http://www.pigprogress.net/Growing-Finishing/Environment/2010/12/EU-banning-piglet-castration-by-2018-PP006786W/
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    "What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how
    infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and
    admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like
    a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals---"

Was Shakespeare taking the P?
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, spot on.

As Machiavelli wrote, in the early stages a problem is hard to identify and easy to remedy. Later it becomes pain to see and hard to resolve. If we don't resolve it now, we make it harder later.

More to the point, who the hell would look at certain situations we've seen [not sure of posting rules on it presently] and think "That's something we should leave alone"?
  • Options

I said it was the Russians, we're the bookends of Europe that keep the Germans in their place.

"Closet" allies? Freudian slip, or did you just attend a *very* liberal school?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, you just tried to invade it!

That's not very maskirovka.
  • Options
    Ceredigion. Plaid 13/8 with Hills (5/4 elsewhere). Looks like value on the face of it, but I'm not up on Plaid at all. Any views?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks,

Maybe.

Yes !!

Not counting chickens but the SNP should be ahead at least then ;)
    Here's the rest of Edinburgh . Edinburgh City Council clearly were concerend about us punters as they broke down the Yes vote by Westminster consitueuncy unlike those buggers in Glasgow who did it by Holyrood constituency.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/3976/analysis_of_voting_totals_in_the_scottish_independence_referendum_for_the_city_of_edinburgh_area
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited February 2015
    Hills have slashed their odds on UKIP Rotherham and Rother Valley. Glad I got on last night. Not sure how it fits in with my bets dependent on them underperforming at the GE though.

I was thinking about John Bercow's seat yesterday on the way home from work. As I understand it, political parties very rarely stand against a speaker. UKIP have nominated a candidate for the Buckingham constituency. If Labour, Lib Dems, etc. don't field candidates it would be John Bercow vs UKIP. Would UKIP stand a chance at unseating him as he won't be using the Tory name?
  • Options

More to the point, who the hell would look at certain situations we've seen [not sure of posting rules on it presently] and think "That's something we should leave alone"?

Well, according to the report, the local council and the police.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm in charge of Russia in the pb.com diplomacy game right now, I assure you all Galicia will not be invaded.

Beware - One of Clausewitz's principles of war

"Surprise plays a much greater role in strategy than in tactics. It is the most important element of victory. Napoleon, Frederick II, Gustavus Adolphus, Caesar, Hannibal, and Alexander owe the brightest rays of their fame to their swiftness"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FalseFlag said:

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Saudi is a swing producer who has refused to swing. Since it is not in their interests to sell a finite commodity on the cheap one has to ask why.

The obvious answers are that they want Russia to abandon their support for Assad and they want to put the screws on Iran so it finds it harder to fund its proxy wars. And, I suspect, the Americans asked them to for these reasons and Ukraine. In the past the Saudis have not been particularly susceptible to US pressure but these are dangerous times.
    The Saudis could not cut production enough to cancel out the effect of shale and other marginal production. It's entirely logical to continue production to maximise revenue and put the marginal producers out of business. The Russians haven't and won't end their support of Assad.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

"Closet" allies? Freudian slip, or did you just attend a *very* liberal school?
    I went to an all boys school.

That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    @Neil - Re the LibDem fiscal plans, the FT agree with your take, not mine:

Mr Cable had argued the Lib Dems should tackle the deficit through a 60-40 split between cuts in public spending and higher taxes. The party has adopted a plan featuring £14bn of tax rises and £16bn of cuts, closer to 50-50.

Last November, Danny Alexander, chief secretary to the Treasury and the man chosen by Mr Clegg to front the party’s economic campaign, argued that the coalition’s current split of 80-20 should be “broadly maintained”. Mr Clegg shared that view.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7c222872-ac89-11e4-beeb-00144feab7de.html#axzz3QtWr7900

So I might have been wrong on this. However, I think there is some confusion between the original 80-20 split proposed by Osborne in 2010, and the additional measures (i.e. the difference between Osborne and the LibDems) for the next parliament. The 50-50 refers to the latter, does it not?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
  • Options

Presbyterians then, eh?

Theres quite a lot of similarities between hardline protestantism and Wahhabism. For example, the demolition of idoltatrous statues in Mecca has similar parallels to what happened in the UK and the violence and misery meted out under the leader of Britains Taliban, Oliver Cromwell, was just as savage as anything IS have done, especially in Ireland.

People calling for an Islamic Reformation don't seem to understand that Wahhabism IS Islam's reformation.
  • Options

Ceredigion. Plaid 13/8 with Hills (5/4 elsewhere). Looks like value on the face of it, but I'm not up on Plaid at all. Any views?

I'd have the Lib Dems favourite to hold on here so I'm not sure it's great value. I wouldnt be shocked if they lost mind.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited February 2015

Presbyterians then, eh?

Theres quite a lot of similarities between hardline protestantism and Wahhabism. For example, the demolition of idoltatrous statues in Mecca has similar parallels to what happened in the UK and the violence and misery meted out under the leader of Britains Taliban, Oliver Cromwell, was just as savage as anything IS have done, especially in Ireland.

People calling for an Islamic Reformation don't seem to understand that Wahhabism IS Islam's reformation.
    Lets list all the protestant terrorist attacks since 1745 then shall we- hmm.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Still in use apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, spot on.

As Machiavelli wrote, in the early stages a problem is hard to identify and easy to remedy. Later it becomes pain to see and hard to resolve. If we don't resolve it now, we make it harder later.

This Machiavelli quote is also apposite: ""“Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great. ”

• Options
    edited February 2015

However, I think there is some confusion between the original 80-20 split proposed by Osborne in 2010, and the additional measures (i.e. the difference between Osborne and the LibDems) for the next parliament. The 50-50 refers to the latter, does it not?

Indeed, but that exacerbates the differences between the Tories and Lib Dems. The Tories are left with 100:0 and the Lib Dems want to move to 50:50.

On fiscal policy it's a no brainer that Lab / Lib Dem looks a better fit than Tory / Lib Dem but that was also the case in the run up to GE 2010 and we all know what happened after that.
  • Options

Presbyterians then, eh?

I was thinking that this morning when watching Wolf Hall: there was a scene when they were burning a prisoner.

We did that.

FIVE HUNDRED years ago
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

It seems to me - and I know we disagree - that the state shouldn't be able to claim that sort of right over the individual citizen.

If their crime is deemed sufficiently serious that they should be permanently excluded from society (i.e. exile or in prison until they die) that's fine.

But to hang someone, or to castrate them, or to cut off their hands, or gouge out their eyes, etc, seems to put the state in a position of power over the individual that they have no right to assume.
    Well we do disagree, but that's fair enough

The state does have that position of authority if people vote for it.. . the state is only an embodiment of the will of the people (Levithian is it?)

I would have a referendum on things like this, but have the status quo favoured so the vote for change has to win 60/40

Also I don't really see why its ok for the state to have the power to lock someone up until they die, but not to castrate paedophiles or torture/execute convicted terrorists. or why the punishment for murderers/paedophiles should be the same as for robbers/tax avoiders only for longer

• Options
    Evening all

Er, an unusual thread, why all the talk of ‘rubber-banding’, ‘bricks’ and ‘chemical castration’? – have the PB moderators upped the ante, or did I miss something FPT....?
  • Options

Evening all

Er, an unusual thread, why all the talk of ‘rubber-banding’, ‘bricks’ and ‘chemical castration’? – have the PB moderators upped the ante, or did I miss something FPT....?

Best to keep to the rules just in case...

• Options
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

Well we do disagree, but that's fair enough

The state does have that position of authority if people vote for it.. . the state is only an embodiment of the will of the people (Levithian is it?)

I would have a referendum on things like this, but have the status quo favoured so the vote for change has to win 60/40

Also I don't really see why its ok for the state to have the power to lock someone up until they die, but not to castrate paedophiles or torture/execute convicted terrorists. or why the punishment for murderers/paedophiles should be the same as for robbers/tax avoiders only for longer

It's a philosophical position: the state is, and can only ever be, the agent of its citizens.

If someone refuses to abide by the rules that society sets, then it is fair to exclude someone from the benefits of society. This can either be for a period of time or permanently. Thus, for example, I'm sure you would be a fan of deporting foreign criminals - which would be entirely consistent with this philosophical position.

But I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of people (whether 51% or 60%) saying "we don't like X, therefore we are going to vote to injury/kill him".
  • Options
    Neil said:

I'd have the Lib Dems favourite to hold on here so I'm not sure it's great value. I wouldnt be shocked if they lost mind.
    Thanks :) Will the Greens pull more from LD or PC, do you think? They could prove decisive here.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Presbyterians then, eh?

I was thinking that this morning when watching Wolf Hall: there was a scene when they were burning a prisoner.

We did that.

FIVE HUNDRED years ago
    To be fair, Islam is about 500+ years younger than Christianity, so they're pretty much on the required flight path, right? :)
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2015
    The election models of Stephen Fisher and Others factor in a late incumbency swing to the Tories as well as a "ShyTory" factor - hence the difference between their projections and the forecasts based on the current polls.
    With just 13 weeks to go before polling day, no one knows to what extent such factors will actually come into play.
    My own guess is that the reasonably feasible best and worst cases from a Tory perspective might look something like this:

Party...............Tory Best Case .............Tory Worst case
    Con .................... 295 ................................ 260
    Lab ......................265 ................................ 300
    Lib Dem ............... 20 .................................. 30
    SNP ..................... 45 ................................. 27
    UKIP ...................... 2 ................................. 12
    N.I. ....................... 18 .................................. 18
    Others .................... 5 ................................... 3

Total .................. 650 ................................ 650

Tory+LD+DUP = 323 Lab+LD = .............. 330

Still a fair amount to play for, but the above numbers appear to significantly favour Labour in terms of the various possible permutations.
  • Options

Presbyterians then, eh?

I don't want a Reformation. As an Irish Catholic I've always viewed the Reformation with a rather more sceptical eye than that in the Whig-Our-Island-Story-narrative.

But an Enlightenment would be good. Fat chance. At the moment anway.

This discussion has been closed.