Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember Cameron’s early vote-Blue-go-green mantra?

13»

Comments

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

Holidays in apartheid SA / Sorrow for mandela
    Vote for clause 28 / gay marriage
    Vote blue go green / green crap

I can imagine several paths to that outcome
    x
    Good outline the most likely for us.
    Who knows which is most likely to succeed? The market will decide

But when we leave, cameron will convert to euro scepticism...
    easy.
    ?

Pitiful from start to end. It boils down to "I could but shan't so there!" Might work in a playground but not anywhere else.
    Don't put yourself down.. I accepted the half hearted politicians apology, don't worry x
    Sorry you had to stop to misleading smokescreens to try but fail to beat me in an argument, I will put in less effort next time
    At leastelse or else) I suppose... small mercies
    I never said I am some kind of diamond geezer, stop making things up

...again

I'd have them killed, more Londoners would than wouldn't according to the polls, but if that's a step too far, despite the fact we kill hundreds of innocent people when we invade or bomb countries that are none of our business, then something worse than mere imprisonment is needed.

I couldn't care less about the people who killed Lee Rigby. If they were tortured every day it wouldn't be enough

You call them "prisoners" as if I am suggesting this for all prisoners despite knowing that's not what I mean.. you do this to try and win an argument by misdirection... Why bother?
    I call them prisoners because that's exactly what they are.

I'm going to leave it at that because I don't have anything further to say that would have the slightest impact on you. The reason I believe that is because anybody who will seriously, and you are serious, defend torture is not somebody who can be reasoned with.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited January 2015
    deleted - see above

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097
    edited January 2015
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

x

easy.
    ?

Pitiful from start to end. It boils down to "I could but shan't so there!" Might work in a playground but not anywhere else.
    Don't put yourself down.. I accepted the half hearted politicians apology, don't worry x
    Sorry you had to stop to misleading smokescreens to try but fail to beat me in an argument, I will put in less effort next time

...again

I'd have them killed, more Londoners would than wouldn't according to the polls, but if that's a step too far, despite the fact we kill hundreds of innocent people when we invade or bomb countries that are none of our business, then something worse than mere imprisonment is needed.

I couldn't care less about the people who killed Lee Rigby. If they were tortured every day it wouldn't be enough

You call them "prisoners" as if I am suggesting this for all prisoners despite knowing that's not what I mean.. you do this to try and win an argument by misdirection... Why bother?
    I call them prisoners because that's exactly what they are.

I'm going to leave it at that because I don't have anything further to say that would have the slightest impact on you. The reason I believe that is because anybody who will seriously, and you are serious, defend torture is not somebody who can be reasoned with.
    Ok, hope you're ok up there on that high horse
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Pulpstar said:

http://www.icmunlimited.com/data/media/pdf/2014_twick.pdf

This poll ?

You stick the words "Vince" and "Cable" into the VI question and the picture changes completely I reckon.

The Conservatives needed to be well, well ahead on that poll to have a chance.

No they didn't. That was April last year before the Green surge, Cons pick up starting and further LD slip. And Cable actually isn't that popular.

I'm not saying we will do it. If you recall, I tipped it as THE shock of the night. It's an outside chance, but chance it is. My issue was with JW calling it a total waste of effort. It isn't. We shall see, we shall see ...
    You don't waste effort on "an outside chance" when that effort would be far better spent in the marginals.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    If Vince Cable was standing down I may well have had a punt on the blues there. But he isn't, so I won't.
  • Options
    JavckW said
    ''Utter piffle.
    There was no danger of Scotland voting for independence as you may have noted I opined on more than the odd occasion.
    Of course Ed's view on EVEL has nothing to do with "party issues" whereas Cameron has only one seat to lose in Scotland.
    Scotland remains in Union and Labour are on the rack north of the border. Thus constitutionally and politically it an A+ for Cameron twice over.''

Correct. We have succeeded in putting EVEL on the agenda and making Labour suffer for it. With a SNP majority in the Scottish Parliament a referendum was inevitable. The referendum has exposed clear splits in Scottish labour and also exposed the SNP as a quite definite extreme left wing party.
    Cameron has navigated through it all pretty well. Everyone now has to deal with the outcome.

• Options
    Btw Which Lib Dem will get the largest vote share of the night,

I reckon if there was a market Carmichael would be favourite with Farron 2nd favourite and the value :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

@Alanbrooke I think a Graduate tax could work... in theory - but I'm honestly struggling to see a financially fair way of doing it when a great many graduates (Including yours truly) have existing debt which we're slowly and steadily paying down (I should clear it in about 6-10 years all else being equal)

I always took the view that higher rate tax was more of a levy on graduates. Now it appears we're taxing them twice - what price education ?

It also strikes me that the full impact of the extra taxes will take sometime to come in to the public conscience. Your ability to buy a house is somewhat restrcited when you're paying another 9% tax.

Personally I'd just slash the DFID budget and restore free fees, I's rather invest in our children's future than the indian space programme.
    Indian DFID £300 million per year (30p per Indian per year)
    EU contribution £10 BILLION per year.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2015
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

This poll ?

You stick the words "Vince" and "Cable" into the VI question and the picture changes completely I reckon.

No they didn't. That was April last year before the Green surge, Cons pick up starting and further LD slip. And Cable actually isn't that popular.

I'm not saying we will do it. If you recall, I tipped it as THE shock of the night. It's an outside chance, but chance it is. My issue was with JW calling it a total waste of effort. It isn't. We shall see, we shall see ...
    You don't waste effort on "an outside chance" when that effort would be far better spent in the marginals.

Lol. JW becomes CCHQ master tactician.

We've got a strategy in place, ta all the same.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Hoping for a bumper crop of polls tonight for the final Saturday night of January?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Is this an interesting straw in the wind?

Iain Martin @iainmartin1
    …Tory push round our way not just part of their national canvassing push today. Locally, Vince the Cable is in serious difficulty.

He said they had had the 1st Tory canvassers at their door in 8 years.

No.

Total waste of effort. London Conservatives should concentrate on the marginals and not wishful thinking against a bête noir.

Iain Martin @iainmartin1
    …Tory push round our way not just part of their national canvassing push today. Locally, Vince the Cable is in serious difficulty.

You're wrong Jack. Quite wrong. Very interesting situation there ...

It's my tip for THE shock of the night. It remains an outside chance but it's definitely worth the effort being put in on the ground.
    How very dare you Madam.

I am correct and your blue rinse "tip", it barely deserves the accolade of tip, is utter horse doings. Vince is safe and your risible musings deserve to be gather dust with other such dribble as Iain Dale's victory musings in Norfolk North

No Jacobite will ever become UK monarch? :)
  • Options

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

This poll ?

Are you on the Blue's London strategy team o-O ?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

This poll ?

Is this the royal we, or do you work from CCHQ ? The later wouldn't be a big surprise considering the almost continuous Cameron hagiography ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Utter piffle.

There was no danger of Scotland voting for independence as you may have noted I opined on more than the odd occasion.

Of course Ed's view on EVEL has nothing to do with "party issues" whereas Cameron has only one seat to lose in Scotland.

Scotland remains in Union and Labour are on the rack north of the border. Thus constitutionally and politically it an A+ for Cameron twice over.

It is telling that the only defence you and AlanBrooke can mount for Cameron is that Ed could be worse. I remain throughly depressed by Cameron's approach to the whole issue. It is odd you give an A+ to SNP dominance of Scotland.

He unifying intellectual thread of Cameron's premiership is ways to get one over one Labour party. That's it. All you need to know.

You might say that is enough.
    I don't say Ed would be "worse" rather that he would be a catastrophe of the first order, which is why the public will ensure :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister.

Have I mentioned that before? .... perhaps so.

As for Scotland, the essential criteria was that Scotland remained in the Union and that has been decisively secured.

The present SNP dominance is a more peripheral matter as we all know in Britain's democracy no party will remain in power for ever. The SNP will at some time fall from grace and the electoral cycle in Scotland, and indeed elsewhere in the UK will turn again.

• Options
    JackW said:

Jack if you are still around, don't post references to Viscounts. Sunil will respond by posting more links to photos of little round chocolate biscuits covered in coloured silver paper :)

Mrs JackW favours a nibble of both.

Er .... Viscounts and not Sunil I should explain .... :smile:

Hmmm.. I remember liking the odd Viscount in my younger days :)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3203/3024249581_62f8270fa8.jpg
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pulpstar said:

If Vince Cable was standing down I may well have had a punt on the blues there. But he isn't, so I won't.

For a change I think that audreyanne may be on to something re Vince Cable and Twickenham. I don't live far from there, and I have heard vibes that VC is losing support.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hoping for a bumper crop of polls tonight for the final Saturday night of January?

Ashcroft's Scotland one is THE poll to watch.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

This poll ?

I imagine you will be cheering on UKIP on in Doncaster North then ?

Should cheer you up with your total disdain for Edward Milliband .
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

x

easy.
    ?

The fact you obviously don't see any issues with this post truly concerns me.

You won't care because you're a diamond geezer, who says what he likes and likes what he body well says. But rest assured other people will, also, find it concerning.

Portraying a man in a sympathetic light because I don't want him to be beaten with a baseball bat on a daily basis, seriously, you need to give your head a wobble.

...again

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind?
  • Options
    All getting a bit "Labour gain Hallam" here :D
  • Options

Thousands March Against Austerity In Spain http://t.co/oozvYTH781

— Sky News (@SkyNews) January 31, 2015
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

This poll ?

Is this the royal we, or do you work from CCHQ ? The later wouldn't be a big surprise considering the almost continuous Cameron hagiography ;)
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Lol Indigo. No I don't work at CCHQ but, yes, I am working with the blue team. If I do have any useful thoughts from the front I'll let you know. One reason I don't do that often is that I've had my fingers burnt as a punter on so-called insider knowledge, especially at constituency level. What we see and 'feel' is often confused and misleading and not part of the whole picture. As this is a betting site I'm wary therefore of passing on what I think we're seeing. I'd rather punters pay more attention to national voting intentions as markers of trends.

But, we're not wasting our time at Twickenham. That doesn't mean we will take it. We're putting in huge effort elsewhere in tighter marginals. One thing I would say is that I think we're super organised this time.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    How many polls are we due tonight?
  • Options
    edited January 2015

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind?

a touch tendentious, whole groups of people, possibly even the majority will never take an eye, and hence never lose one, the world might be a bit of a stretch ;-)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

Watched the Socialist side of Vince on Newsnight stating very strongly that the Cons plan to keep austerity to reduce the deficit is purely idealogical and not about the economy.

He sounded a very bitter old man who knew his chance of one of the big 3 cabinet posts had gone for ever. If his seat is threatened then that would be the end of him.
  • Options
    @isam
    There are some PBers it's no use arguing with.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

A Euro of Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Britain and the Scandanavian countries may well have worked far better - southern Europe simply has too much decent weather to be productive !
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Austerity only favours the rich and powerful elites.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think we're only getting two polls tonight.

YouGov and Opinium for T'Observer.
  • Options
    Financier said:

He sounded a very bitter old man who knew his chance of one of the big 3 cabinet posts had gone for ever. If his seat is threatened then that would be the end of him.

Vince is going to be the Ted Heath of the LDs in the same way that Alan Sked is for the kippers ;)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Yes good point. The thing is, every election throws up surprises, whether that's seats you think should tumble and don't, through to shock upsets. No-one on this forum will be able to predict exactly which seats will go and which won't. It's part of the beauty of this crazy 'democratic' system we have in place and in some ways I love that moment Dimbleby says 'well we're just getting reports that XY may be in trouble at Z'
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

No.

Total waste of effort. London Conservatives should concentrate on the marginals and not wishful thinking against a bête noir.

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

It's my tip for THE shock of the night. It remains an outside chance but it's definitely worth the effort being put in on the ground.
    How very dare you Madam.

I am correct and your blue rinse "tip", it barely deserves the accolade of tip, is utter horse doings. Vince is safe and your risible musings deserve to be gather dust with other such dribble as Iain Dale's victory musings in Norfolk North

No Jacobite will ever become UK monarch? :)
    Her Majesty the Queen is the Jacobite monarch. :smile:

Via wiki :

In his book The Highland Clans, Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk claimed that Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom "is the lawful Jacobite sovereign of this realm". Moncreiffe made the following argument:

... by the fourteenth century it had become common law (in both England and Scotland) that a person who was not born in the liegeance of the Sovereign, nor naturalised, could not have the capacity to succeed as an heir .... In Scotland, this law was modified in favour of the French from the sixteenth century, but was otherwise rigorously applied until the Whig Revolution of 1688, after which it was gradually done away with by the mid-nineteenth century. It was precisely because of this law that Queen Anne found it necessary to pass a special Act of Parliament naturalising all alien-born potential royal heirs under her Act of Settlement of the throne. But, of course, from the Jacobite point of view, no new statute could be passed after 1688 .... The nearest lawful heir of the Cardinal York in 1807 was, in fact, curiously enough, King George III himself, who had been born in England (and therefore in the technical liegeance of James VIII).

• Options
    edited January 2015

Indigo said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

This poll ?

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Lol Indigo. No I don't work at CCHQ but, yes, I am working with the blue team. If I do have any useful thoughts from the front I'll let you know. One reason I don't do that often is that I've had my fingers burnt as a punter on so-called insider knowledge, especially at constituency level. What we see and 'feel' is often confused and misleading and not part of the whole picture. As this is a betting site I'm wary therefore of passing on what I think we're seeing. I'd rather punters pay more attention to national voting intentions as markers of trends.

But, we're not wasting our time at Twickenham. That doesn't mean we will take it. We're putting in huge effort elsewhere in tighter marginals. One thing I would say is that I think we're super organised this time.
    The Twickers footsoldiers would be better off deployed in Kingston and Surbiton where there is perhaps a sniff of an outside chance or Brentford and Isleworth which is going to be tricky to hold.

2 important marginals in about a 5 mile radius !
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926

Jack if you are still around, don't post references to Viscounts. Sunil will respond by posting more links to photos of little round chocolate biscuits covered in coloured silver paper :)

Vote Green get Orange
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Middle East Eye ‏@MiddleEastEye 26m26 minutes ago
    BREAKING NEWS: An Egyptian court has reportedly banned Hamas, listed group as a 'terrorist organisation'. More to follow. #Egypt #Hamas

'More to follow...' ? Spare us your one-man KNN.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Austerity only favours the rich and powerful elites.
    And our grandkids, who would otherwise be picking up the tab for today's socialist excesses.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes good point. The thing is, every election throws up surprises, whether that's seats you think should tumble and don't, through to shock upsets. No-one on this forum will be able to predict exactly which seats will go and which won't. It's part of the beauty of this crazy 'democratic' system we have in place and in some ways I love that moment Dimbleby says 'well we're just getting reports that XY may be in trouble at Z'
    Yeah but Dimbleby is going to act surprised when he's getting reports that "Danny Alexander may be in trouble" even though he's fair odds against to hold.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I've just donated a modest sum to the Green Party's Crowdfunder campaign to see a Green candidate in as many seats as possible. Money well spent, I reckon.

Great idea

Can you post a link? I might make a donation myself :)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

For a change I think that audreyanne may be on to something re Vince Cable and Twickenham. I don't live far from there, and I have heard vibes that VC is losing support.
    Along with your vibe for "120 Ukip seats on a good day, I feel it incumbent on me to advise you to seek an early consultation with your physician.

• Options
    JackW said:

Utter piffle.

Slightly more danger than those suggesting No would win by 20 points were positing.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

This poll ?

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

The Twickers footsoldiers would be better off deployed in Kingston and Surbiton where there is perhaps a sniff of an outside chance or Brentford and Isleworth which is going to be tricky to hold.

2 important marginals in about a 5 mile radius !
    Oh don't you worry, we know we know :)

B&I is less affluent but a real chance. K&S could also go. The LibDem council were deeply unpopular. My brother lives there and despite being a Conservative he doesn't think Cameron's going to win. I'm trying to set him straight on that one.

Twickers is interesting though. I don't think it's just the LibDem factor but the Cable one itself too: see MikeK's remark.

p.s. I'm supposed to be out and about today myself but have been waylaid by something else.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I've just donated a modest sum to the Green Party's Crowdfunder campaign to see a Green candidate in as many seats as possible. Money well spent, I reckon.

Great idea

Please DO !, I need them to lose as many deposits as possible.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

Watched the Socialist side of Vince on Newsnight stating very strongly that the Cons plan to keep austerity to reduce the deficit is purely idealogical and not about the economy.

That is a good point. Cable raising the old socialist bogey of 'idealogical' cuts etc is what shows him and his tendency on the LDs up.
    We need to keep control of spending for very sound economic and social reasons nothing to do with ideology.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Charles said:

Great idea

Great plan, unless they actually get into power...
  • Options
    Just a though on Greece. What if they do a deal with Russia (ports etc.) for 7bn and use that to make their repayment at the end of next month, they then have 6 months or so of time to be a pain in the arse, veto things and generally pressurise people before they have another problem repayment.

This sounds like the EU Commission is starting to get jumpy already, is German going to have the Commission going in to bat for Greece ?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31067473
    Greece belongs in the eurozone and the single currency depends on there being no "Grexit", the EU economic and financial affairs commissioner says.

Pierre Moscovici told the BBC's Hardtalk "we will do everything" to prevent Greece leaving the eurozone.

But he said the Greek government had to respect previous commitments.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

No.

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

Telling @JackW he's QUITE wrong is ... brave.
    MCARSE VI was worse than QUITE wrong!!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

No.

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

I was closer to the final result than McArse, but he's not wrong on Twickenham.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Great idea

Please DO !, I need them to lose as many deposits as possible.
    Every few hundred votes they get is a contribution towards the greater good (up to a max of, say, 5,000 per constituency, of course)
  • Options

Charles said:

Great idea

Great plan, unless they actually get into power...
    I'll just pivot towards the US for a while...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    Since his main challenger is a Tory, showing his socialist side is common sense for Vince in order to get tactical votes from Labourites.
  • Options

JackW said:

Utter piffle.

Slightly more danger than those suggesting No would win by 20 points were positing.
    Indeed so.

Necessarily posting a final prediction from a month out was tricky.

However the final outcome was not in doubt - Somewhat like positing a rugby victory of 20:0 and eventually winning 10:0 where the opposition were damn lucky to get nil.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah but Dimbleby is going to act surprised when he's getting reports that "Danny Alexander may be in trouble" even though he's fair odds against to hold.
    The surprise will be if the Park Ranger holds on to his seat. This is one seat where I am supporting the SNP. Of course, against any Tory too ! But Charlie will win !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

No.

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

To be clear my betting advice to PBers was two fold from many months out :

1. NO would win decisively.
    2. Turnout would exceed 80%.

Punters who followed both were handsomely rewarded.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    AndyJS said:

How many polls are we due tonight?

Boring question...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

No.

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

I should have listened to you rather than that Bedford shyster on the turnout !
  • Options
    JackW said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Along with your vibe for "120 Ukip seats on a good day, I feel it incumbent on me to advise you to seek an early consultation with your physician.

JackW said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

I would love to see your face if UKIP really win over100 seats JackW. I don't think you would recover from something more than apoplexy. We would all mourn, but smirk at the same time.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Just a though on Greece. What if they do a deal with Russia (ports etc.) for 7bn and use that to make their repayment at the end of next month, they then have 6 months or so of time to be a pain in the arse, veto things and generally pressurise people before they have another problem repayment.

This sounds like the EU Commission is starting to get jumpy already, is German going to have the Commission going in to bat for Greece ?

Greece belongs in the eurozone and the single currency depends on there being no "Grexit", the EU economic and financial affairs commissioner says.

Pierre Moscovici told the BBC's Hardtalk "we will do everything" to prevent Greece leaving the eurozone.

That's the biggest strategic threat. He's trying to make people believe that he will do it. Not idea whether he will in practice, but my concern is that things are too far gone in terms of public posturing for either side to back down.

I don't know what the implications are in terms of EU law/rules but when a country starts selling their veto (e.g. over sanctions) to an interested non-member then things have gone badly wrong.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

I would love to see your face if UKIP really win over100 seats JackW. I don't think you would recover from something more than apoplexy. We would all mourn, but smirk at the same time.
    I think you'd be surprised at his reaction...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Utter piffle.

Scotland remains in Union and Labour are on the rack north of the border. Thus constitutionally and politically it an A+ for Cameron twice over.

It is telling that the only defence you and AlanBrooke can mount for Cameron is that Ed could be worse. I remain throughly depressed by Cameron's approach to the whole issue. It is odd you give an A+ to SNP dominance of Scotland.

The unifying intellectual thread of Cameron's premiership is ways to get one over one Labour party. That's it. All you need to know.

You might say that is enough.
    Well pot and kettle Jonathan.

As it happens I think Indyref is one of the things Cameron has handled well. His intervention much beyond what he did ,would have had a negative effect. When GO intervened on currency the PB Labour chorus that he would lose Scotland was deafening. Cameron at least had the sense to avoid a head to head with AS and keep the issue a Scottish one. The only thing I would fault him for was letting Brown spook him in to the vow.

Given Labourites like yourself are forever bemoaning toxic Tories what else would you have him do ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

No.

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

I should have listened to you rather than that Bedford shyster on the turnout !
    The turnout markets were like free money for months. I was astonished the bands remained so low through to polling day.

The level of engagement coupled with the critical nature of the vote for the electorate for their everyday life going forward for decades to come was a sure fire pincer movement for a high turnout.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Just back in. New thread by looks of it
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

I should hope so too.

What is life and indeed death if we can't smile at our both our good fortune and adversity.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

I think we're only getting two polls tonight.

YouGov and Opinium for T'Observer.
    Tories ahead by only 0.06% in ELBOW so far this week.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

The sales were going ahead anyway as privatisations - to China for instnce. Delaying them helps no one except those extreme left wingers who would rather do a deal with Putin, who has no money anyway.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    JackW said:

The present SNP dominance is a more peripheral matter as we all know in Britain's democracy no party will remain in power for ever. The SNP will at some time fall from grace and the electoral cycle in Scotland, and indeed elsewhere in the UK will turn again.

If you think that the Union can survive another 40 years of SNP dominance in Scotland, perhaps you may be forgetting other things in life.

Scotland was dominated by the Liberals till 1918, the Tories till 1964 and then Labour till 2011. Scotland hasn't shifted the way England has between parties, the parties In With The Sticks have tended to stick around.

The Union will be dead by 2020, the result was far too close to avoid another referendum in during the next Holyrood cycle.
This discussion has been closed.