Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ashcroft 20k sample mega-poll highlights the massive ch

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ashcroft 20k sample mega-poll highlights the massive challenge facing the Tories on the NHS

How important do you think the NHS is to the parties and leaders? pic.twitter.com/BCwUh9zN3g

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    The Tories have four months to link a sick NHS with a sick economy - whilst painting Labour as the party of the sick economy.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Contrary to all the hot air generated, Europe doesn't ranking highly.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    FPT:

I hope the media has the balls to have the debates with a cardboard cutout of Cameron. It'd make as much sense as the real thing anyway.

Cameron is a frit clown.

Î suspect the broadcaster's lawyers will sink the debates without Cameron, because they won't know how to satisfy their legal obligations to give equal airtime to the parties
    The law is quite clear, if a politician is offered airtime, and chooses not to accept it, the offered airtime still counts for the purposes of a fair allocation.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Of course it doesn't as I've been saying for years. The Tories ready to split themselves apart on an issue that more voters don't give a monkey's about

• Options
    FPT: I suspect the broadcaster's lawyers will sink the debates without Cameron, because they won't know how to satisfy their legal obligations to give equal airtime to the parties.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Kinnock had a huge lead on the NHS in 1992 too
  • Options
    This polling was before Ed Miliband's vile, disgusting and odious comment and plan to weaponise the NHS.

As the ComRes polling shows, the voters prefer Dave on the NHS to Ed.

And as someone said to me yesterday, Labour have timed this badly, you're not going to have a winter NHS crisis in April and May.
  • Options

This polling was before Ed Miliband's vile, disgusting and odious comment and plan to weaponise the NHS.

As the ComRes polling shows, the voters prefer Dave on the NHS to Ed.

And as someone said to me yesterday, Labour have timed this badly, you're not going to have a winter NHS crisis in April and May.

Clutching at straws methink.

• Options
    Dr Peter Carter needs to do at bit more overseas travel.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Interesting difference among voters on responsibility for health:

Those with preventable (smoking/drinking/obesity) problems should have lower priority vs everyone should get same treatment:

Con: 57/43
    Lab: 38/62
    LibD: 51/49
    UKIP: 52/48

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/The-People-the-Parties-and-the-NHS-LORD-ASHCROFT-POLLS.pdf
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Of course it doesn't as I've been saying for years. The Tories ready to split themselves apart on an issue that more voters don't give a monkey's about

Not sure how we plan to "Controlling Immigration" until we have addressed the EU though.

9% for "Protecting the Environment" does rather suggest the real limit to the Green's expectations.
  • Options

FPT: I suspect the broadcaster's lawyers will sink the debates without Cameron, because they won't know how to satisfy their legal obligations to give equal airtime to the parties.

If the broadcasters offer a party airtime and that party declines to take up that opportunity and the broadcasters then empty chair them the broadcaster will argue they've met their obligations.

The most interesting thing we can draw from this is that Dave and Tories are ahead in the polls and have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Being called frit/chickens is a mere flesh wound in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    It's nice to be in step with the great British public for once in finding Health Secretary Hunt to be particularly unimpressive. I'm not a great fan of Burnham either but at least he doesn't look like he's doing it as a hobby and a hobby that bores him.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Not sure how we plan to "Controlling Immigration" until we have addressed the EU though.

9% for "Protecting the Environment" does rather suggest the real limit to the Green's expectations.
    Have you failed to notice that they've picked up some other policies that appeal to the disaffected Labour voter?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

Apparently Osborne and BoE will be relying on the ECB using QE to have a positive effect on the UK economy. Although we are not in the Eurozone, it is thought that it will benefit the UK economy. I am not enough of an economics expert to understand why this is the case.

I think most voters would be concerned if the UK was heading towards the EU exit door, as it could damage the UK economy. The Toriees referendum in 2017 is really to do with the split on the right side of politics about the one issue they have been moaning about for the last 40 years.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

The Tories have four months to link a sick NHS with a sick economy - whilst painting Labour as the party of the sick economy.

No, because of the separate RedBox poll shown in the latter part of this:

http://times-deck.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/projects/ef575e8837d065a1683c022d2077d342.html
    (not paywalled)

There is a clear lead for spending more on public services even if it means either increasing borrowing or (especially) not having tax cuts. This is not in fact Labour policy (though Danny here argues that it should be), so it shows the public is on the left of Labour in this area (maybe that's why the Greens are doing relatively well). If the Tories decide to campaign on "Sorry about the NHS, but we need to cut spending for the economy's sake", they will sink like a stone.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

If the broadcasters offer a party airtime and that party declines to take up that opportunity and the broadcasters then empty chair them the broadcaster will argue they've met their obligations.

The most interesting thing we can draw from this is that Dave and Tories are ahead in the polls and have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

You really do only see the positive side of things in relation to the Tories.

If Cameron avoided the leaders debates, it could do real damage to how the public see Cameron/Tories. They might not vote for someone considered a coward.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427

They aint gonna happen this time.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Another poll highlighting the fact immigration as an issue is a load of hot air.

It has nothing to do with people's real experience and all the anxiety is based on hysterically negative press coverage.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

If Cameron avoided the leaders debates, it could do real damage to how the public see Cameron/Tories. They might not vote for someone considered a coward.
    No. I had a chat with a Labour activist last night who made that observation.

Did it damage Blair when he chickened out of a debate in 1997?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Its behind the Paywall - but I've seen a few comments agreeing with Danny Finkelstein's argument Cameron being called names on Twitter would be less damaging than going head to head with Farage on TV.....

Remember how we were assured that without any doubt whatsoever Cameron would absolutely, definitely, certainly positively debate Salmond.

And if he didn't everyone would laugh at him until the end of time?
  • Options

http://times-deck.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/projects/ef575e8837d065a1683c022d2077d342.html
    (not paywalled)

There is a clear lead for spending more on public services even if it means either increasing borrowing or (especially) not having tax cuts. This is not in fact Labour policy (though Danny here argues that it should be), so it shows the public is on the left of Labour in this area (maybe that's why the Greens are doing relatively well). If the Tories decide to campaign on "Sorry about the NHS, but we need to cut spending for the economy's sake", they will sink like a stone.
    Here we have the problem with an economically illiterate public. They are not to the left of Labour so much as dont see a problem with endless borrowing. In an ideal world almost everyone would like to spend more on health care, some people realise there isn't a magic money tree, Labour spent 13 years telling the public there was, sadly lots of them believed it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @iainmartin1: The rise of smaller parties renders old TV debate structure redundant. If UKIP is in, the SNP with more seats must be in. And Greens too.

@DPJHodges: Cameron needs to be careful. His decision to duck debates could have the same disastrous impact as Tony Blair's decision to duck debates...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    If the NHS was that much of a problem for the Tories, then Labour should be well ahead in the polls. That they are not should be concerning for the red team.
  • Options

Its behind the Paywall - but I've seen a few comments agreeing with Danny Finkelstein's argument Cameron being called names on Twitter would be less damaging than going head to head with Farage on TV.....

Remember how we were assured that without any doubt whatsoever Cameron would absolutely, definitely, certainly positively debate Salmond.

That's irrelevant the Nat GOTV will win the referendum for Yes.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Have you failed to notice that they've picked up some other policies that appeal to the disaffected Labour voter?
    Yes, I read most of their policies, although I need to stop once or twice to wipe my eyes from the laughter. Even more so than UKIP they have the sort of policies you can only have when you have no chance of having to implement them. To paraphrase Yes Minister, half of their policies would bankrupt the country in a week, the other half would do it in a day.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    These ratings are the results of labour's stronger brand with regard to the NHS rather than the reality. It's clear from when they were last in office and Wales today that they simply do not have the managerial competence to run anything let alone something as big as the NHS and yet at the moment they remain favoured. Their reality doesn't match the perception which is always in the long run a weak position to be in.

I have always thought they played the NHS card too early, but I guess it's the only card they had. The tories still have time to close down the issue and then what have labour got?
  • Options

You might have a point if the ground rules about the debates had been settled. But they haven't - which is what Cameron is arguing about. I stand by my assessment that the broadcaster's lawyers will veto any empty chair debates.
  • Options
    @jameschappers: Ashdown on TV debates: "Can you imagine Thatcher refusing?" Er..she concluded: 'We're not electing a president, we're choosing a government'
  • Options
    BenM said:

Another poll highlighting the fact immigration as an issue is a load of hot air.

It has nothing to do with people's real experience and all the anxiety is based on hysterically negative press coverage.

Only you could see 49% and second on the list as "all hot air", its even 5th out of 10 for Labour voters!
  • Options
    saddo said:

These ratings are the results of labour's stronger brand with regard to the NHS rather than the reality. It's clear from when they were last in office and Wales today that they simply do not have the managerial competence to run anything let alone something as big as the NHS and yet at the moment they remain favoured. Their reality doesn't match the perception which is always in the long run a weak position to be in.

I have always thought they played the NHS card too early, but I guess it's the only card they had. The tories still have time to close down the issue and then what have labour got?

The economy.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited January 2015
    Most people don't vote based on immigration or the NHS. It's the economy stupid.

Re the letters from the 3 pretenders today each trying to get a debate, it's just the next turn in the haggling. Nothing more than that.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: The rise of smaller parties renders old TV debate structure redundant. If UKIP is in, the SNP with more seats must be in. And Greens too.

@DPJHodges: Cameron needs to be careful. His decision to duck debates could have the same disastrous impact as Tony Blair's decision to duck debates...

I'm not convinced the debates matter very much but am puzzled by the Conservatives' reasoning, given they believe Cameron can outscore Miliband. The "equality of stature" excuse -- that it will make Miliband look as important as Cameron -- reads like old-school political consultants' evidence-free musing.
  • Options
    BenM said:

The economy.

LOL

@matthancockmp: Even more Labour chaos as they U-Turn on the only policy anyone's heard of. The melting price freeze: http://t.co/idTmvRjNsc
  • Options

hucks67 said:

Isnt that rather the difference between walking past you without offering you a tenner, and waving one in front of your face and then putting it back in my pocket. When Blair turned it down there hadn't been one before.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

hucks67 said:

Surely the biggest debating point of this LibLabKip joint letter is whether it means the Kippers have joined the Westminster establishment or whether Ed has relegated himself to the company of the minor parties. ?

Perhaps its a warm up for the rainbow coalition of left wing state control anti business parties that they will form after the election ?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Undoubtedly true. Cameron is so second class compared to Farage, he daren't risk arguing head to head. He would be ripped to shreds on issue after issue, his record would fall to piece and his poor policy platform would be shown up for what it is. Conservatives on this site know this, which is why they are so supportive of him not undergoing proper scrutiny from his political opponents in front of the nation.

• Options

(not paywalled)

Nice attempt to introduce a meme that the Tories' will cut NHS spending. You should be a politician...

This polling was done before Andy Burnham admitted that Labour will have to revisit the scope of what the NHS provides, which has not yet been acknowledged as the game-changer it will become. SAVE THE NHS!!! (er, as long as it is only providing acute care...)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

(not paywalled)

Here we have the problem with an economically illiterate public. They are not to the left of Labour so much as dont see a problem with endless borrowing. In an ideal world almost everyone would like to spend more on health care, some people realise there isn't a magic money tree, Labour spent 13 years telling the public there was, sadly lots of them believed it.
    Pure bunkum I'm afraid. Labour did not spend its term of office telling people there was a magic money tree. They won on a promise to rebuild and reform public services, partly through investing in them. The first few years they stuck to Ken Clarke's plans. All the later spending was within quite normal and acceptable levels of public borrowing.

What they failed to mention is that the UK tax base was far too heavily dependent on the City. But then again, no one else, including the Tories, mentioned this either. It was a systemic, cross-party mistake.
  • Options
    Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband need to be careful what they wish for. Or rather, they need to careful what David Cameron wishes for. The big winner from a debate that empty chairs the Prime Minister would be the Prime Minister. Nick Clegg doesn’t need to look into the crystal ball to see what happens when he debates Nigel Farage, he can simply read the opinion polls. And if Ed Miliband intends to submit himself to the Ukip leader's tender mercies, Labour MPs in northern and southern marginals may as well start writing their concession speeches now. Without Cameron to act as a lightning rod, Miliband and Clegg will get electrocuted.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11344223/Without-David-Cameron-Nigel-Farage-will-destroy-Labour-and-the-Lib-Dems.html
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Undoubtedly true. Cameron is so second class compared to Farage, he daren't risk arguing head to head. He would be ripped to shreds on issue after issue, his record would fall to piece and his poor policy platform would be shown up for what it is. Conservatives on this site know this, which is why they are so supportive of him not undergoing proper scrutiny from his political opponents in front of the nation.

Did you find any polyps up there ?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Scott_P said:

BenM said:

The economy.

LOL

@matthancockmp: Even more Labour chaos as they U-Turn on the only policy anyone's heard of. The melting price freeze: http://t.co/idTmvRjNsc
    The economy, already weakened by Osborne and the Tories, is undoubtedly getting worse.

And no one believes any of the boastful Tory claims on it anyway. Which is why the Tories *still* trail in the polls.
  • Options
    @mrianleslie: In what way are TV debates good for democracy? Last time people came away thinking Nick Clegg was brilliant.
  • Options

It's the seventh highest issue facing the nation, and is currently weighing down our growth rate, preventing us from controlling immigration, adding huge pressure to the NHS, and pushing up housing costs, thus massively important for one through four.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Scott_P said:

BenM said:

The economy.

LOL

The economy, already weakened by Osborne and the Tories, is undoubtedly getting worse.

And no one believes any of the boastful Tory claims on it anyway. Which is why the Tories *still* trail in the polls.
    Which parts of the economy are getting worse Ben ? Unemployment ? Rising prices ? Tax take ? Personal debt as a percentage of GDP ?

Specifics please.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I don't see what nasal passages have to do with anything. CCHQ undoubtedly agrees with my analysis, which is why they prefer half the country thinking Cameron's a coward over him debating Farage.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband need to be careful what they wish for. Or rather, they need to careful what David Cameron wishes for. The big winner from a debate that empty chairs the Prime Minister would be the Prime Minister. Nick Clegg doesn’t need to look into the crystal ball to see what happens when he debates Nigel Farage, he can simply read the opinion polls. And if Ed Miliband intends to submit himself to the Ukip leader's tender mercies, Labour MPs in northern and southern marginals may as well start writing their concession speeches now. Without Cameron to act as a lightning rod, Miliband and Clegg will get electrocuted.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11344223/Without-David-Cameron-Nigel-Farage-will-destroy-Labour-and-the-Lib-Dems.html

More reasons why they are not going to happen.

One thing Hodges doesn't mention is that the above situation would mean Clegg is the only person defending every single decision of the Coalition. Good luck with that one Nick!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

hucks67 said:

Surely the biggest debating point of this LibLabKip joint letter is whether it means the Kippers have joined the Westminster establishment or whether Ed has relegated himself to the company of the minor parties. ?

Perhaps its a warm up for the rainbow coalition of left wing state control anti business parties that they will form after the election ?
    I did read speculation over Christmas that UKIP might propose nationalisation of the railways.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

I don't see what nasal passages have to do with anything. CCHQ undoubtedly agrees with my analysis, which is why they prefer half the country thinking Cameron's a coward over him debating Farage.
    Polyos are found elsewhere

Has Farage published the audit of his allowance spending as he promised or is he a coward?
  • Options

One thing Hodges doesn't mention is that the above situation would mean Clegg is the only person defending every single decision of the Coalition. Good luck with that one Nick!

It would be entertaining if the broadcasters did call their bluff and Nick and Ed then cried foul.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Has Farage published the audit of his allowance spending as he promised or is he a coward?
    "Cameron's under attack and we don't have a good defence! Quick! Change the subject!"
  • Options
    sean thomas knox ‏@thomasknox 1 min1 minute ago
    Article is paywalled, but details: in 70 - SEVENTY - French schools, kids refused to honour the Hebdo dead, catcalling during minute silence
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

"Cameron's under attack and we don't have a good defence! Quick! Change the subject!"
    I'll take that as, no Farage has not published/audited them as he promised.

So Farage is a liar/frit/chicken/coward.

Or perhaps he's realised that the political positives outweigh the negatives.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

On each question, the Conservative plinth could just have the camera on it for a minute or some such.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Talking of the debates, wasn't one of them supposed to be just Cameron and Miliband? How would they empty chair that?
  • Options

Or perhaps he's realised that the political positives outweigh the negatives.

As Cameron has in the debates.

The reason for that? Because Cameron's record, policies and arguments would be torn to shreds by Farage. Even CCHQ and the Tory cheerleaders in the press agree.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Scott_P said:

@jameschappers: Ashdown on TV debates: "Can you imagine Thatcher refusing?" Er..she concluded: 'We're not electing a president, we're choosing a government'

Good job you ducked our bet eh?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Some quotes from the BBC guidelines:

"
    Anyone has the right to refuse to contribute to our output and it is not always necessary to mention their refusal. However, the refusal of an individual or an organisation to make a contribution should not be allowed to act as a veto on the appearance of other contributors holding different views, or on the output itself.

When our audience might reasonably expect to hear counter arguments or where an individual, viewpoint or organisation is not represented it may be appropriate to explain the absence, particularly if it would be unfair to the missing contributor not to do so. This should be done in terms that are fair. We should consider whether we can represent the missing contributor’s views based on what we already know.
    "

And:

"
    Candidates or parties declining to take part in constituency/ward reports or debates cannot, by doing so, effectively exercise a veto over such coverage.

However, this does not weaken in any way the BBC’s obligations of fairness in ensuring the audience is informed of all main strands of argument.
    "
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It would be entertaining if the broadcasters did call their bluff and Nick and Ed then cried foul.
    the Johnstone's paint trophy debate ?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

Article is paywalled, but details: in 70 - SEVENTY - French schools, kids refused to honour the Hebdo dead, catcalling during minute silence

I do wonder how Sean knows that. Was someone counting? Was it one child in each school, or all the children in all the schools? I mean 70 (REPEATED IN CAPITALS: SEVENTY) is quite a lot, isn't it? That must mean the islams are taking over, mustn't it? lolz.

Anyway, kids will be kids. They're very astute at picking up on taboos and sticking two fingers up at authority. They're often wrong, but sometimes they have a point.

I recall reading Francis Wheen's book a while back, about the slightly absurd enforced mourning we had here following the death of Diana in '97. Definitely food for thought.

Just before I get mauled, I declare, Je Suis Charlie. Alright?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Socrates said:

I do wonder how Sean knows that. Was someone counting? Was it one child in each school, or all the children in all the schools?

Anyway, kids will be kids. They're very astute at picking up on taboos and sticking two fingers up at authority. They're often wrong, but sometimes they have a point.

I recall reading Francis Wheen's book a while back, about the slightly absurd enforced mourning we had here following the death of Diana in '97. Definitely food for thought.
    It is the reason why a minute's silence at football matches have become a minute's applause in this country.
  • Options

Talking of the debates, wasn't one of them supposed to be just Cameron and Miliband? How would they empty chair that?

Call it Newsnight ?
  • Options
    This Ashcroft poll has a 1,400 strong Scottish Sub-sample

Con 14%, Lab 24%, LD 5%, UKIP 5%, SNP 46%, Greens 4%

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7TUuBACIAEax1-.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Pure bunkum I'm afraid. Labour did not spend its term of office telling people there was a magic money tree. They won on a promise to rebuild and reform public services, partly through investing in them. The first few years they stuck to Ken Clarke's plans. All the later spending was within quite normal and acceptable levels of public borrowing.

What they failed to mention is that the UK tax base was far too heavily dependent on the City. But then again, no one else, including the Tories, mentioned this either. It was a systemic, cross-party mistake.

The bit you are missing in that little flight of fancy is public spending more than doubled under Labour. A few sensible years with Ken Clarke's plans, and then a long stream of spending being urinated up the wall. Then the Tories came in, and spending is back under control again.

Year Spend
    1998 318.43
    1999 332.65
    2000 340.80
    2001 366.09
    2002 389.07
    2003 420.48
    2004 455.07
    2005 491.80
    2006 523.51
    2007 549.40
    2008 582.23
    2009 633.81
    2010 673.10
    2011 694.20
    2012 694.39
    2013 673.92
  • Options
    The VI in this poll was

Con 29%, Lab 33% LD 7%, UKIP 19%, Greens 6%
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Hebdo would probably approve of the snub to authority.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,592
    edited January 2015
    We might have a Tory leadership contest starting in less than 4 months time, conhome are (becoming) huge fans of Sajid Javid

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/01/javids-moderation-will-help-tackle-islamist-extremism-not-farages-stridency.html

He is still available at 16/1
  • Options

Socrates said:

2nd and 3rd Generation immigrants seem to be the most prone to radicalisation - are Kippers planning to deport them too ?
  • Options

We might have a Tory leadership contest starting in less than 4 months time, conhome are (becoming) huge fans of Sajid Javid

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/01/javids-moderation-will-help-tackle-islamist-extremism-not-farages-stridency.html

If the stuff Javid had said had come out of Farage's mouth, it would be being called extremist.
  • Options

Socrates said:

They'd probably be more gutted that Dave supports their front cover.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Pong said:

Socrates said:

I do wonder how Sean knows that. Was someone counting? Was it one child in each school, or all the children in all the schools? I mean 70 (REPEATED IN CAPITALS: SEVENTY) is quite a lot, isn't it? That must mean the islams are taking over, mustn't it? lolz.

Just before I get mauled, I declare, Je Suis Charlie. Alright?
    French education is pretty centralized, I think it all gets reported to the education ministry. See:
    http://mobile.lepoint.fr/politique/emmanuel-berretta/charlie-hebdo-minute-de-silence-perturbee-l-education-nationale-recense-70-chahuts-10-01-2015-1895466_1897.php

But yeah, depending on the scale of the disruption this may only be 700 kids nationwide, in which case the nation as a whole seems to have performed quite an impressive feat of STFU.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,592
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

If the stuff Javid had said had come out of Farage's mouth, it would be being called extremist.
    No, Farage's tone and approach is all wrong, no wonder you're such a fan.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited January 2015
    The NHS is Labour's strongest card, as this poll clearly indicates, but there has never been an election in this country where the NHS was *THE* decisive factor and I don't expect 2015 to buck that trend.

In the end the NHS could even turn into a negative for Labour insofar as they will clearly bang on about it day and night between now and May and bore everyone to death (because they don't have anything else to bang on about)

There's also the unfortunate fact that Labour themselves run the NHS in Wales which certainly isn't doing any better than the English NHS, LOL....
  • Options
    Socrates said:

There is very little comparison between their comments on the Hebdo massarce other than condemnation.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    The NHS needs one of those new IT systems again!

I broke my thumb on Boxing Day but I haven't gone to hospital yet, despite it being visibly broken. That's what the NHS needs, more tough, stiff-upper-lip warriors like me. Who can't take tops off Branston Pickle jars.

Hooray for the martyrs.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

The big fearty will be behind the sofa as usual searching for his spine.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The Daily Murphy has an interesting article today, it turns out that Jim Murphy is not a Unionist. I'm not sure how this sudden realisation on his part is going to play with the Scottish Tories he's hoping to attract;

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-labour-leader-jim-murphy-4973610

I sense the hand of McTernan behind this, the new ideology, McMurphyism is starting to take shape.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Big day today for the 45 Malc !

$45 dollars a barrel....
  • Options
    calum said:

The Daily Murphy has an interesting article today, it turns out that Jim Murphy is not a Unionist. I'm not sure how this sudden realisation on his part is going to play with the Scottish Tories he's hoping to attract;

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-labour-leader-jim-murphy-4973610

I sense the hand of McTernan behind this, the new ideology, McMurphyism is starting to take shape.

If Jim Murphy is McMurphy, does that make Nicola Sturgeon, Nurse Ratched?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited January 2015
    Canmeron is playing them all for fools..he is doing what he should do and that is get the best terms and that means having the Greens on board..what can they all be afraid of.?...
  • Options
    @DanHannanMEP: I'd be surprised if an empty chair didn't get the better of @Ed_Miliband in a TV debate. http://t.co/hIzu5bMFGy

@timothy_stanley: Prediction: if an empty chair is included in the debates, Ed will fall over it, Nigel will put his feet up on it & Clegg will canvas it
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

The other party leaders would barely address each other. they would aim and blame everything on the empty chair.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    If the Greens are in the debates, can we have Ska rather than Natalie?

I quite enjoyed the Euro debates, for some reason...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

2nd and 3rd Generation immigrants seem to be the most prone to radicalisation - are Kippers planning to deport them too ?
    When you say 'deport them too' you mean as well as who?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

$45 dollars a barrel....
    no worries for us , England will make up the difference with the famed unionist pooling and sharing. That is why the fearties accepted the bribe , they don't have to worry , given unionists were desperate to hold on to us and pick up the tab. bad for down south as they will have to make up the difference.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Indigo said:

The bit you are missing in that little flight of fancy is public spending more than doubled under Labour. A few sensible years with Ken Clarke's plans, and then a long stream of spending being urinated up the wall. Then the Tories came in, and spending is back under control again.

Year Spend
    1998 318.43
    1999 332.65
    2000 340.80
    2001 366.09
    2002 389.07
    2003 420.48
    2004 455.07
    2005 491.80
    2006 523.51
    2007 549.40
    2008 582.23
    2009 633.81
    2010 673.10
    2011 694.20
    2012 694.39
    2013 673.92
    Wait, aren't we doing everything in terms of percentage of GDP these days?
  • Options
    calum said:

It is a laugh listening to Murphy nowadays, he is the polar opposite of what he was a few weeks ago. He was struggling on the question re leading the Scottish party whilst on the dole as well, was very nippy with Gary.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

The nurses who fail the UKIP English exam?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

$45 dollars a barrel....
    no worries for us , England will make up the difference with the famed unionist pooling and sharing. That is why the fearties accepted the bribe , they don't have to worry , given unionists were desperate to hold on to us and pick up the tab. bad for down south as they will have to make up the difference.
    No worries Malc - you are welcome.
  • Options

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

The nurses who fail the UKIP English exam?
    But you know as well as I do that's not going to happen

So, no one then. What a great point
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Thanks, a nice tip at a nice price.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    calum said:

As I asked a couple of days ago
    http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/512155/#Comment_512155
    Indigo said:

I was thinking of SNP/SLAB as analogous to LAB/CON in Westminster, they are both nominally staunch supporters of their wing, but both try and sidle into where the votes are. If Murphy gets slaughtered in GE2015 as looks likely, what's the game plan to get some of those voters back, its not going to fly trying to be more left wing than Sturgeon's SNP, he already is the Unionist voice to all intents so not many more votes to be made there. Is there a body of voters that might be summarised as "Well I quite like the look of Murphy and SLAB if they weren't so damn anti-independence".

• Options
    @Indigo

The Jim Murphy claim is so bizarre. Wasn't this the guy that famously went round the country standing on a box to argue for the union?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

$45 dollars a barrel....

Oil is yesterday's news, done now.

Copper's turn to collapse now having decisively broke 6 year support at 3 USD a pound. China couldn't keep on building ghost cities for ever.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

The VI in this poll was

Con 29%, Lab 33% LD 7%, UKIP 19%, Greens 6%

Peak Kipper!
  • Options
    Marf has done cartoon on the NHS which has been added to the header
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    What is the long term solution the establishment is proposing? Bigger and more intrusive police state, continuing open door immigration, more restrictions on free speech, perhaps a community centre or two?
This discussion has been closed.