Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Extraordinary and moving pictures from Paris

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Extraordinary and moving pictures from Paris

Pictures from Paris being screened around the world pic.twitter.com/0aHSZq4h8R

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    Deuxieme!
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    United with journalist jailers from abroad, but not the most popular political party in its own country.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Bondezegou,

"No, that's clearly not what I meant."

OK, I'm not scapegoating Islam either.

But IS and these terrorists are part of a much bigger movement than any other. There are some fragmented guerilla groups around the world with odd but localised aims. But what other group intends to make the rest of the world submit to them?

Even the communists lost interest in world domination after Trotsky was deposed. Comparing these particular Muslims with piddly little local grievance bands is silly.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited January 2015
    @SeanT‌
    "As for Paris, one hopes this is a turning point. The juncture where we stand and fight: because in the end we will have to fight, or face defeat, and see our cherished values - especially free speech - trampled and vanquished. "

Indeed !

I am Charlie
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited January 2015
    Je suis Charlie - T & Cs apply*

* Excludes Front National...

Hollande has shot himself in the foot, he could have chosen a display of political unity from left to right, but instead has acted not like a President above politics but as a supine PS hack.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    FPT @bondegezou

Let us not be silly. Manson claimed to be Jesus Christ; he too had nothing to do with Christianity.

The key factor in determining the question I suppose is reading the accepted texts and jurisprudence of the great religion of Islam, and asking its scholars, and noticing the laws and sentences passed in theocratic Muslim states.

I am no expert on the provenance of this website, but it (at least) seems pretty conclusive.
    http://islamqa.info/en/22809

Some quite bizarre stuff out there too, btw
    http://islamqa.info/en/225012
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    SeanT said:

Greetings from an unusually chilly Bangkok (19C).

This is worldwide news. When I arrived a couple of days ago, the cab radio from the airport was playing Thai news; every word was of course incomprehensible to me, apart from "Charlie Hebdo" - which I heard incessantly.

Thailand has its own severe problems with Islamist violence.

As for Paris, one hopes this is a turning point. The juncture where we stand and fight: because in the end we will have to fight, or face defeat, and see our cherished values - especially free speech - trampled and vanquished.

So let us fight now. It is late, but not too late.

Thanks for the confirmation, Mr T. Didn't entirely believe my son when, in his Skype at midday (UK time) he was grumbling about t being cold. in BKK!

On the Paris demos, it's probably the "least severe" Islamist terrorist outrage, but it's attracted the greatest public response
  • Options
    We are all cartoonists now!
  • Options

SeanT said:

This is worldwide news. When I arrived a couple of days ago, the cab radio from the airport was playing Thai news; every word was of course incomprehensible to me, apart from "Charlie Hebdo" - which I heard incessantly.

As for Paris, one hopes this is a turning point. The juncture where we stand and fight: because in the end we will have to fight, or face defeat, and see our cherished values - especially free speech - trampled and vanquished.

Thanks for the confirmation, Mr T. Didn't entirely believe my son when, in his Skype at midday (UK time) he was grumbling about t being cold. in BKK!

On the Paris demos, it's probably the "least severe" Islamist terrorist outrage, but it's attracted the greatest public response
    Because it was specifically targetted at journalists. As a non Journalist, this makes it far less terror inspiring than a tube bombing for me, but for Journo's who decide what we all care about, this is on a scale out of proportion with the numbers.
  • Options
    Also, who started this 'we are all' / 'I am' rubbish?
  • Options

Le Pen is mightier than the sword...

hang on she's not there...

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Maaarsh, generally, I agree with you on slogans, but I think this is an exception due to the nature of the attack.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    maaarsh said:

SeanT said:

Because it was specifically targetted at journalists. As a non Journalist, this makes it far less terror inspiring than a tube bombing for me, but for Journo's who decide what we all care about, this is on a scale out of proportion with the numbers.
    C'est vrai!

It's been very noticeable, and humbling, that pretty well everyone interviewed has talked about "freedom of speech"!
  • Options

Sadly though "They brought a crayon to a gun fight"
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    maaarsh said:

Someone perhaps who actually did have at least a little empathy?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Indiana Jones and Croc Dundee remain as pertinent as ever.
    Moses_ said:

Sadly though "They brought a crayon to a gun fight"
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

maaarsh said:

And likes it served up in empty, meaningless twitter form.
  • Options
    Mr. Maaarsh, Twitter has its uses. I found out about Hamilton's penalty in Spain 2012, which made me more than any other bet (backing Maldonado to lead lap 1) that year, and I learnt about the changes to VAT via Twitter.
  • Options
    Some jaw-dropping stuff on Islam here...
    http://islamqa.info/en/search?key=execute
  • Options
    Touching story of rags to riches barrister, from a council estate who is not a snob.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30767197

Thornberry still spinning more yarn than a cotton mill.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

They're certainly imaginative...

The Sahaabah were unanimously agreed on the executing of homosexuals, but they differed as to how they were to be executed.

Some of them, such as Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq and ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with them) thought that they should be burned to death. Some of them, such as Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) thought that they should be thrown from a tall building followed by stoning. Some of them thought that they should be stoned to death, which was narrated from both ‘Ali and Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

But IS and these terrorists are part of a much bigger movement than any other. There are some fragmented guerilla groups around the world with odd but localised aims. But what other group intends to make the rest of the world submit to them?

Even the communists lost interest in world domination after Trotsky was deposed. Comparing these particular Muslims with piddly little local grievance bands is silly.

Islam has to reform. Or westerners must abandon their most precious values to accommodate Islam. That is the choice. Either that or war.
    An unedifying thought, but not possible to entirely dismiss either, sadly.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I should add that it's 19C at 10pm, by day it's a very pleasant 28C. So we're not suffering unduly. It's just a bit nippy (jumper in the evening weather) by Bangkok standards.

I agree the French demo is unprecedented. It feels, oddly, bigger than the reaction to 9/11.

I think that's because the attack wasn't a standard attack on western capitalism, or Jews, or western soldiers, or symbols of western "power". It was a very explicit attack on the cornerstone of western freedom: the freedom to ridicule and offend the authorities, including and especially religion. And the attack happened in Paris, which was a crucible of the Enlightenment, where people famously fought and died - successfully - for this freedom.

Speaking as a British journalist, the reaction of most British papers has been spineless and repulsive. Refusing - even now - to publish the toons on the grounds of "taste"? It's not taste. It's abject cowardice.

I hope the French can show us how to do it. And it pains me as an Englishman, to write that.
    As usual you're getting carried away by the moment. It's Princess Di all over again. Holland's is as spineless now as he was before.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    maaarsh said:

Moses_ said:

maaarsh said:

And likes it served up in empty, meaningless twitter form.
    I take a professional monthly business magazine and seriously not the usual suspects for this sort of thing. They sent an open Email out with a large black square with white lettering "we are Charlie." The paragraph of text piece underneath was quite simply scathing of the perpetrators and the ideology.

I would say, By its very lack of mercy shown, devoid of any humanity and the indiscriminate hatred shown it has quite simply again "woken a 'sleeping' dragon and filled it with a terrible resolve."

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    maaarsh said:

I blame Kirk Douglas
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

RT @B_4_Brad: BBC not quick enough........ pic.twitter.com/ECFPvwcN2s << They're being mean again @Ed_Miliband @EdMilibuddha

— Cryptic Psypher (@CrypticPsypher) January 11, 2015
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited January 2015
    SeanT said:

Islam has to reform. Or westerners must abandon their most precious values to accommodate Islam. That is the choice. Either that or war.

Quite. And can we please get out of this foolish mentality that the best way to get Muslims to reform is by scrapping some of our Western freedoms, like the right to free speech, in order to get them to not join the terrorists?

The problem we have is that the bulk of Muslims are working in an intellectual framework of Koranic literalism. It doesn't matter how nice and polite we are in our arguments, until we show that framework is based on utterly foolish - and immoral - principles, we will never reconcile Muslims with liberal democracy.

What we need to do is either get them to leave the faith, to become notional Muslims without any true belief, or to get them to adopt them liberal Christian position that their scripture is not always literally true and certain parts should be overlooked. This will require a loud public debate where sacred cows are challenged, things that deserve mocking are mocked, and inconvenient truths about Islam are thrown in their faces. Telling people "well you're not one of the active terrorists, so all your other beliefs are fine" is not going to work.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

Not just Islam v. "the West" - significant "Eastern Front" too, if you count West and East Africa, India, China, Burma, Thailand and Philippines.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

Quite. And can we please get out of this foolish mentality that the best way to get Muslims to reform is by scrapping some of our Western freedoms, like the right to free speech, in order to get them to not join the terrorists?

The problem we have is that the bulk of Muslims are working in an intellectual framework of Koranic literalism. It doesn't matter how nice and polite we are in our arguments, until we show that framework is based on utterly foolish - and immoral - principles, we will never reconcile Muslims with liberal democracy.

What we need to do is either get them to leave the faith, to become notional Muslims without any true belief, or to get them to adopt them liberal Christian position that their scripture is not always literally true and certain parts should be overlooked. This will require a loud public debate where sacred cows are challenged. Telling people "well you're not one of the active terrorists, so all your other beliefs are fine" is not going to work.
    That's the problem, isn't it with relying on a "sacred text" which was written in a time where values and indeed problems were very different from todays.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,968
    maaarsh said:

RodCrosby said:

They're certainly imaginative...

The Sahaabah were unanimously agreed on the executing of homosexuals, but they differed as to how they were to be executed.

Some of them, such as Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq and ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with them) thought that they should be burned to death. Some of them, such as Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) thought that they should be thrown from a tall building followed by stoning. Some of them thought that they should be stoned to death, which was narrated from both ‘Ali and Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them).
    It's not just beheading that they go in for.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    The French are being positively British
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Is that Mugabe next to Hollande or ???
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

Not just Islam v. "the West" - significant "Eastern Front" too, if you count West and East Africa, India, China, Burma, Thailand and Philippines.
    Point.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    In response (and completely - and I hope delightfully - off topic) to Mr Llama (on a previous thread):

My olive trees are now potted up. I am lucky enough to have a south-facing garden in a sheltered spot in London and a very sunny terrace (which is where the olives are). I successfully grow vines and figs and have roses regularly blooming in January. These particular olive trees (they are 5 foot tall with spiral trunks) are underplanted with lavender. I'm looking forward to sitting out on my terrace once the weather is milder.

I get fantastic views across London and the sunsets are to die for!
  • Options
    Le Monde reckons 2 million on the march....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

Indeed. "Islam has bloody borders". This is the vital fact which undermines the Guardianista/lefty narrative that "it's all the fault of whitey" - if only we hadn't (stupidly) invaded Iraq, or (naively) supported Israel, or (incoherently) ignored Syria, Muslims wouldn't be angry.

I believe Iraq was a terrible error and I decry Israel's behaviour in Gaza but Islamism is much much older than any of these events, and radical Muslims are fighting, bloodily, and savagely, to impose their worldview in places far from Europe, America or the West.

You forgot, for instance, to mention the Caucasus, where Chechen Islamist gangsters are happy to murder children in schools. Because, Russia, or something.

Who the F cares. The disease is centred in Islam. That's all there is to it.
    Indeed - and how or, indeed, if it reforms itself or is able to reform itself in a way compatible with the rest of the world - is the question de nos jours.

You also forgot to mention China. It does look as if the Islamic world is busy both fighting with itself and with everyone else as well.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Cyclefree said:

In response (and completely - and I hope delightfully - off topic) to Mr Llama (on a previous thread):

My olive trees are now potted up. I am lucky enough to have a south-facing garden in a sheltered spot in London and a very sunny terrace (which is where the olives are). I successfully grow vines and figs and have roses regularly blooming in January. These particular olive trees (they are 5 foot tall with spiral trunks) are underplanted with lavender. I'm looking forward to sitting out on my terrace once the weather is milder.

I get fantastic views across London and the sunsets are to die for!

I have a vine that I have been trying to grow for 3 years. I manage to keep it alive but it's not really that much bigger than when I started. I have it in a very large pot and bring it in to the conservatory in winter months. I don't talk to it but as yet Still no luck.

What's the secret? ( I am not very green fingered)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

The Economist's latest caricature of Turkey's Erdogan pic.twitter.com/CyNWRG9leA h/t @wellsla

— Alakbar Raufoglu (@ralakbar) January 11, 2015
    -------------
    Sadly not strong enough for this born again islamist.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, figs always make me think of Augustus and Livia.

Ever grow radishes? Not much work and two 'crops' a year (unlike parsnips/carrots, which take ages). My mum sometimes grows stuff, in a small way. It was surprising how many spuds a bucket could yield.

It's also astounding the difference in taste between rocket and radish that's home-grown, and supermarket stuff. We really should encourage more of such things.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited January 2015
    The problem with 'chatter'.

You hear this term used by many a correspondent that the security services have picked up comms 'chatter'.

Curiously enough the big ears of the US have picked it up 'chatter' this weekend suggesting further attacks in Europe from Al Qaeda sources.

The problem is, is it legitimate or do the Al Qaeda types, well versed in the game of chaos and stress associated, know that its cheap way of causing more alarm by spreading some electronic noise?

This is the conundrum that Western agencies face plus the lack of good on the ground tactical intelligence in their own patch makes it hard to filter and verify.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    GeoffM said:

maaarsh said:

I blame Kirk Douglas
    Stanley Kubrick. Actually the first one up was Tony Curtis.
    There is not much need for it because we are all potential victims of terror.

I see already on this thread the truth is being misrepresented. I do not see anyone saying we should give up free speech to accomodate anyone. I do not think we should; Free speech is a fine concept and we should cling to it even to the extent of saying that satirical comment is bad satire and in all probability it is not going to achieve its aim.
    Murdering people is wrong and as the marches show looks like it is unlikely to achieve its aim.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    maaarsh said:

SeanT said:

It was targeted at freedom of speech - killing people for what they did - but also at Jews - killing people for what they are. There is no shilly-shallying around the anti-Semitic nature of the attack. And it is notable how many people on the march notice this too - and say that: "Je suis Juif".

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    On a lighter note the WI have just chased down in record fashion the SA score of 231/7 in a T20 match scoring 236/6.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

maaarsh said:

SeanT said:

It was targeted at freedom of speech - killing people for what they did - but also at Jews - killing people for what they are. There is no shilly-shallying around the anti-Semitic nature of the attack. And it is notable how many people on the march notice this too - and say that: "Je suis Juif".

There is no shilly-shallying around the anti-Semitic nature of the attack.

I don't foresee lefties saying 'Je Suis Murdoch' as he goes about his legitimate business. What I see are left wing journals spreading lies in order to prop up their own position.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

You hear this term used by many a correspondent that the security services have picked up comms 'chatter'.

Curiously enough the big ears of the US have picked it up 'chatter' this weekend suggesting further attacks in Europe from Al Qaeda sources.

The problem is, is it legitimate or do the Al Qaeda types, well versed in the game of chaos and stress associated, know that its cheap way of causing more alarm by spreading some electronic noise?

This is the conundrum that Western agencies face plus the lack of good on the ground tactical intelligence in their own patch makes it hard to filter and verify.

The terror group's Arabian Peninsula branch in Yemen, which has been linked to the attacks in Paris, has also told its members that Britain is a higher priority target then France - second only to America.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2905276/Al-Qaeda-publishes-recipe-easy-make-bomb-evade-airport-check-determined-Muslim-prepare.html#ixzz3OX1SUNnw
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

Indeed. "Islam has bloody borders". This is the vital fact which undermines the Guardianista/lefty narrative that "it's all the fault of whitey" - if only we hadn't (stupidly) invaded Iraq, or (naively) supported Israel, or (incoherently) ignored Syria, Muslims wouldn't be angry.

I believe Iraq was a terrible error and I decry Israel's behaviour in Gaza but Islamism is much much older than any of these events, and radical Muslims are fighting, bloodily, and savagely, to impose their worldview in places far from Europe, America or the West.

You forgot, for instance, to mention the Caucasus, where Chechen Islamist gangsters are happy to murder children in schools. Because, Russia, or something.

Indeed - and how or, indeed, if it reforms itself or is able to reform itself in a way compatible with the rest of the world - is the question de nos jours.

Get real. We can rule the reform option out, for at least the next 500 years, on even the most optimistic view.

It is what it is. It's here to stay. It's growing exponentially. It's radicalising. And it's starting to kill us.

Now we can discuss solutions, if any...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    SeanT said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I should add that it's 19C at 10pm, by day it's a very pleasant 28C. So we're not suffering unduly. It's just a bit nippy (jumper in the evening weather) by Bangkok standards.

I agree the French demo is unprecedented. It feels, oddly, bigger than the reaction to 9/11.

I think that's because the attack wasn't a standard attack on western capitalism, or Jews, or western soldiers, or symbols of western "power". It was a very explicit attack on the cornerstone of western freedom: the freedom to ridicule and offend the authorities, including and especially religion. And the attack happened in Paris, which was a crucible of the Enlightenment, where people famously fought and died - successfully - for this freedom.

Speaking as a British journalist, the reaction of most British papers has been spineless and repulsive. Refusing - even now - to publish the toons on the grounds of "taste"? It's not taste. It's abject cowardice.

I hope the French can show us how to do it. And it pains me as an Englishman, to write that.
    As usual you're getting carried away by the moment. It's Princess Di all over again. Holland's is as spineless now as he was before.
    You'd have claimed I was "overreacting to the moment" when Hitler invaded Poland.
    Only because you'd have been still wringing your hands about Edward's abdication rather than worrying about Adolf.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

What we need to do is either get them to leave the faith, to become notional Muslims without any true belief, or to get them to adopt them liberal Christian position that their scripture is not always literally true and certain parts should be overlooked. This will require a loud public debate where sacred cows are challenged, things that deserve mocking are mocked, and inconvenient truths about Islam are thrown in their faces. Telling people "well you're not one of the active terrorists, so all your other beliefs are fine" is not going to work.
    This is not only grotesquely illiberal (thought police much?), but wholly unnecessary. Surely what we need first is simply to apply the law equally, without special privileges. Sharia has to go. FGM has to be prosecuted. Intimidation must cease to be tolerated. Child rape must be prosecuted with vigour. It won't be pleasant, but let's surely see where we get with simple fairness.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

You also forgot to mention China. It does look as if the Islamic world is busy both fighting with itself and with everyone else as well.

And far from it being 500 years as some suggest before it is shocked back into the mainstream I think it could be a lot quicker. Its true the genie is out of the bottle but the weapon it fears - that is the terrorists fear - is democracy. We should continue with pursuing democracy in the middle east and ISIS are by no means at all invulnerable in their enclave.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    RodCrosby said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

Get real. We can rule the reform option out, for at least the next 500 years, on even the most optimistic view.

It is what it is. It's here to stay. It's growing exponentially. It's radicalising. And it's starting to kill us.

There are no real solutions. The Muslim way is to convert all to their religion. Anyone that leaves dies or if they dare to criticise receives a 1000 lashes etc etc. The more extreme groups are happy and even want to die for their beliefs and while doing so take as many innocents with them as possible (even those of similar faith) How really do or can you tackle that with the accommodating approach of the west?

This is quite simply "jihadi Kamikazee" but as before' there is nothing Devine about it.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I know this argument has been raging on this blog in the last few days (and my own views have been pretty clear) but I think the cartoons should be published. Why? Not just to show that we are not afraid etc. Not just in solidarity. And not to cause offence.

But to make it clear - beyond any shadow of a doubt - that whatever your religious views / taboos etc, these are private to those who share your faith and can have no purchase on public discourse and behaviour, on the public space.

That is the issue: if Muslims don't want Mohammed drawn (and the issue of the cartoons' offensiveness is a strawman. It's the fact of any depiction which is taboo.) they don't have to. But what they (or some of them, anyway) are seeking to do is impose that on the public space. And we have to say no to that.

To make it clear that religion in the Western world is a private matter. By all means follow it, but don't assume that your strength of feeling about it gives you some sort of moral high ground entitling you to impose on it on others, whether through violence or otherwise.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited January 2015
    The only way I can see to halt the progress of Militant Islam in the UK is to treat Islam as the UAE treats Christianity

You can practice is it you like but be aware it is a minority religion.. the Church of England is the national religion and is privileged over any other

If we had done this 50 years ago they'd probably be non of this nonsense going on here at least.. probably too late now though
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

The terror group's Arabian Peninsula branch in Yemen, which has been linked to the attacks in Paris, has also told its members that Britain is a higher priority target then France - second only to America.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2905276/Al-Qaeda-publishes-recipe-easy-make-bomb-evade-airport-check-determined-Muslim-prepare.html#ixzz3OX1SUNnw
    That cookbook job is fairly old. The airliner bomb is a holy grail attack but its also one of the hardest to carry off, much easier to go for the less secured. On the other hand flying BA & Easyjet in particular carries a marginally higher risk.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

Indeed. I agree. That's why I said "if".

If Islam cannot reform and cannot learn to live with others, we are facing dark days.

• Options

And far from it being 500 years as some suggest before it is shocked back into the mainstream I think it could be a lot quicker. Its true the genie is out of the bottle but the weapon it fears - that is the terrorists fear - is democracy. We should continue with pursuing democracy in the middle east and ISIS are by no means at all invulnerable in their enclave.

I doubt they fear it. They scorn it.
    http://islamqa.info/en/search?key=democracy
  • Options
    isam said:

The only way I can see to halt the progress of Militant Islam in the UK is to treat Islam as the UAE treats Christianity

You can practice is it you like but be aware it is a minority religion.. the Church of England is the national religion and is privileged over any other

If we had done this 50 years ago they'd probably be non of this nonsense going on here at least.. probably too late now though

The UAE has less terrorist attacks from Christians than the UK has from Muslims not because of how they treat different religions, but because Islam creates far more terrorist attacks than Christianity the world over.

Why on Earth should religious denominations like the Methodists and the Quakers have to accept Anglicanism gets privileged over them, because Muslims are a highly intolerant lot?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    We should all celebrate Western Decadence...beats the hell out of living your life in some desert shithole...
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

This is not only grotesquely illiberal (thought police much?), but wholly unnecessary. Surely what we need first is simply to apply the law equally, without special privileges. Sharia has to go. FGM has to be prosecuted. Intimidation must cease to be tolerated. Child rape must be prosecuted with vigour. It won't be pleasant, but let's surely see where we get with simple fairness.

Arguing publicly loudly and publicly for certain principles, and being unafraid to voice arguments, now accounts for being "thought police"? I'm am not arguing for any coercion in such matters, and thus there is nothing illiberal about it.
  • Options
    isam said:

A second way might be to massively increase immigration from non Christian and non Muslim countries

Basically the two ways I can see working are

(a) Complete control by one dominant religion, which will be privileged with no concessions for any other (UAE)

This would mean extremely tight immigration laws

or

(b) a relatively equal split of all religions (Singapore) this would mean a very controlled immigration policy with quotas for each religion

• Options
    @ Mr Dancer:

The answer on vines I have found is this. Vitis Brant - found in most garden centres. Plant in a sunny spot. I leave it outside. Prune after the leaves have fallen - it has the most glorious autumn colours. After a few years you will get grapes. It does need regular (i.e. yearly) pruning otherwise it can take over. And that's it.

I never take anything inside. At best I will put a good mulch on before the winter and hard frosts come. Moving plants indoors seems to put stress on them with the changes in temperature. But there again I don't know where you live.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @luckyguy1983

'This is not only grotesquely illiberal (thought police much?), but wholly unnecessary. Surely what we need first is simply to apply the law equally, without special privileges. Sharia has to go. FGM has to be prosecuted. Intimidation must cease to be tolerated. Child rape must be prosecuted with vigour. It won't be pleasant, but let's surely see where we get with simple fairness.'

Spot on, plus scrap the absurd 2006 Religious Hatred Act.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,840
    Socrates said:

I am very happy to see scriptural literalism challenged, and who better to do it than someone called Socrates? Once you have achieved all that, do you wish to join me in persuading the good people of the United States that the Bible is not literally true, that it's OK to teach evolution in schools, that abortion should be legal and that Obama is not the antichrist?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    *claps*
    john_zims said:

@luckyguy1983

'This is not only grotesquely illiberal (thought police much?), but wholly unnecessary. Surely what we need first is simply to apply the law equally, without special privileges. Sharia has to go. FGM has to be prosecuted. Intimidation must cease to be tolerated. Child rape must be prosecuted with vigour. It won't be pleasant, but let's surely see where we get with simple fairness.'

Spot on, plus scrap the absurd 2006 Religious Hatred Act.

• Options
    I see that Anita Ward, a Labour Councillor in Hodge Hill has removed a tweet which read: je suis Charlie; je suis Kouachi, je suis Ahmed.

Interview without coffee coming up.
  • Options
    17.14 Police in Belgium have reportedly arrested a man suspected of making a bomb threat against Le Soir newspaper today, writes Harriet Alexander.
    Le Soir names him as Thierry Carreyn, a 53-year-old who in 1999 blew up a phone box outside the offices of Vlaams Blok - the far Right Belgian political party, now called Vlaams Belang.
    16.02 Belgian newspaper Le Soir has evacuated its offices after a bomb threat which it received shortly after 2.30pm (1.30pm in the UK), Harriet Alexander reports.
    A caller said "It's going to explode in your office. You're not taking us seriously." The caller said that he was acting in the name of "the extreme Left".
    The caller said that he had had enough of the coverage of the Charlie Hebdo attacks, which "fuels the extreme Right."
  • Options
    Bodezegeu,

Here we go again.

I'm happy for people to believe that the earth is flat or evolution is wrong or whatever. But I don't remember the last time one of the more eccentric Americans beheaded hordes of people and intended to execute all who didn't agree.

The Mormons are distinctly odd but to bracket them with ISIS or Boko Harum .... Are you allowed out on your own?

• Options
    France has banned the burqa, stayed out of Iraq and has specifically rejected multiculturalism in favour of La Republique. Last week's murderers rejected France. Like almost all other terrorists of whatever kind they were relatively young, testosterone-filled men who felt no connection with the society in which they lived. I am not sure how a vocal, no holds barred debate about Islam changes that. We should have it anyway, of course; but don't expect it to make much difference.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited January 2015
    isam said:

isam said:

A second way might be to massively increase immigration from non Christian and non Muslim countries

(a) Complete control by one dominant religion, which will be privileged with no concessions for any other (UAE)

or

(b) a relatively equal split of all religions (Singapore) this would mean a very controlled immigration policy with quotas for each religion

Quite a few Christians from Poland have been coming over here of late, though your man Nigel was less than welcoming when he accused them of wanting to steal my job. Are you going to lobby him to reconsider?
  • Options
    Have any of Le Pen's supporters in Paris been interviewed, about what they thought of their leader's omission from today's march?
  • Options
    Stark,

I mentioned this to a friend in Boston this week. "They may be packing out the schools and hospitals, pinching your jobs and trebling the drink-driving figures but they don't tend to murder you."

He still thought the minor problems were relevant, though.
  • Options

Like almost all other terrorists of whatever kind they were relatively young, testosterone-filled men who felt no connection with the society in which they lived. I am not sure how a vocal, no holds barred debate about Islam changes that. We should have it anyway, of course; but don't expect it to make much difference.

True what you say about young men. But we still need to have the debate and make clear what our expectations are of religious minorities living amongst us. The extremists don't come out of nowhere and they have found a fairly accommodating sea to thrive in, not least the lack of challenge by us and by other Muslims. So we need to start the process of slowly making it much more inhospitable for extremists. This may not be enough - but it still needs to be done.

Just because we can't do everything doesn't mean we shouldn't do something.

• Options

Socrates said:

I am very happy to see scriptural literalism challenged, and who better to do it than someone called Socrates? Once you have achieved all that, do you wish to join me in persuading the good people of the United States that the Bible is not literally true, that it's OK to teach evolution in schools, that abortion should be legal and that Obama is not the antichrist?
    I don't know what your point is here. I agree many of those things also need to be argued. The difference is that lots of people in the US do argue such things in a loud and raucous debate. While the debate over Islam here is stifled in order to be "sensitive" and "respectful".
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

or

Quite a few Christians from Poland have been coming over here of late, though your man Nigel was less than welcoming when he accused them of wanting to steal my job. Are you going to lobby him to reconsider?
    No because the primary problem with EU immigration isn't extremist violence, though given the number of Muslims in Europe that have free movement it probably helps them, but that of wage depression

Nice try.. but try again
  • Options
    On a related note, my son and I went to the Toulouse v La Rochelle rugby game last night. There was an impeccable minute of silence, then the crowd erupted into an unprompted, spontaneous rendition of La Marseillaise. It was loud, passionately felt and extraordinarily moving. It was an absolute privilege to be there and something I will never forget.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

That cookbook job is fairly old. The airliner bomb is a holy grail attack but its also one of the hardest to carry off, much easier to go for the less secured. On the other hand flying BA & Easyjet in particular carries a marginally higher risk.
    Surely Ryanair is riskier than both, although due to their batshit crazy pilots rather than mere terrorism.

• Options
    edited January 2015

France has banned the burqa, stayed out of Iraq and has specifically rejected multiculturalism in favour of La Republique. Last week's murderers rejected France. Like almost all other terrorists of whatever kind they were relatively young, testosterone-filled men who felt no connection with the society in which they lived. I am not sure how a vocal, no holds barred debate about Islam changes that. We should have it anyway, of course; but don't expect it to make much difference.

Yet France's Muslims do have more moderate views than British ones:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

Of course, more moderate views on average is counteracted by the fact they have more Muslims than us.

But I take your point that, considering the sheer extent of backwardsness and violent tendencies that exist among Muslim populations, even an ideal policy will take a long time to bear fruit and we will still face terrorist attacks for years to come. Especially if we allow Muslims to immigrate faster than we can convince them away from literalism and towards pluralist democracy.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Like almost all other terrorists of whatever kind they were relatively young, testosterone-filled men who felt no connection with the society in which they lived. I am not sure how a vocal, no holds barred debate about Islam changes that. We should have it anyway, of course; but don't expect it to make much difference.

True what you say about young men. But we still need to have the debate and make clear what our expectations are of religious minorities living amongst us. The extremists don't come out of nowhere and they have found a fairly accommodating sea to thrive in, not least the lack of challenge by us and by other Muslims. So we need to start the process of slowly making it much more inhospitable for extremists. This may not be enough - but it still needs to be done.

Just because we can't do everything doesn't mean we shouldn't do something.

I agree. Islam has to be subject to the same intellectual challenges as all other religions - probably more so, in fact. My point is only that it will not stop young men - often encouraged by older men - committing atrocities.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Stark,

I mentioned this to a friend in Boston this week. "They may be packing out the schools and hospitals, pinching your jobs and trebling the drink-driving figures but they don't tend to murder you."

I've always been relaxed about immigration from Poland - culturally not that dissimilar to Britain though vastly unfortunate to have been sandwiched between Russia and Germany during the 20th Century. Indeed the next generation of settled Poles will probably be indistinguishable from the natives apart from having a lot of 'cz's in their surnames. So I was disappointed to see UKIP stirring up hatred of these people for the purpose of a couple of news cycles. It was both crass and myopic as I think a lot of Kippers on here will now acknowledge.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

Surely Ryanair is riskier than both, although due to their batshit crazy pilots rather than mere terrorism.

They'll get you there, even if they land at the wrong airport. Very much in the mould of their chief....

• Options

CD13 said:

Stark,

I've always been relaxed about immigration from Poland - culturally not that dissimilar to Britain though vastly unfortunate to have been sandwiched between Russia and Germany during the 20th Century. Indeed the next generation of settled Poles will probably be indistinguishable from the natives apart from having a lot of 'cz's in their surnames. So I was disappointed to see UKIP stirring up hatred of these people for the purpose of a couple of news cycles. It was both crass and myopic as I think a lot of Kippers on here will now acknowledge.
    It also didn't happen
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

or

No because the primary problem with EU immigration isn't extremist violence, though given the number of Muslims in Europe that have free movement it probably helps them, but that of wage depression

Nice try.. but try again
    I thought you were advocating some kind of demographic rebalancing through the immigration of foreign Christians. If not from Europe then where? New Zealand, Texas?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

or

Nice try.. but try again
    I thought you were advocating some kind of demographic rebalancing through the immigration of foreign Christians. If not from Europe then where? New Zealand, Texas?
    You thought wrong
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

They'll get you there, even if they land at the wrong airport. Very much in the mould of their chief....

Lol!

To be honest, I love Ryanair. Once you get to learn their quirky ways and to dodge their little rip-offs, they give you fantastic value and easy access to some great places. I guess I'm lucky in that living 25 minutes from Stanstead I can make maximum use of their cheap fares, and it's no exaggeration to say that they make the South of France and the North of Ireland closer for me than Manchester or Truro.

• Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

Lol!

To be honest, I love Ryanair. Once you get to learn their quirky ways and to dodge their little rip-offs, they give you fantastic value and easy access to some great places. I guess I'm lucky in that living 25 minutes from Stanstead I can make maximum use of their cheap fares, and it's no exaggeration to say that they make the South of France and the North of Ireland closer for me than Manchester or Truro.

Us citizens of Belfast are a bit more classy Peter, they don't fly out of the city at all. They did for a bit then cleared off a few years back. We, obviously, prefer the colour of orange......
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    dr_spyn said:

I see that Anita Ward, a Labour Councillor in Hodge Hill has removed a tweet which read: je suis Charlie; je suis Kouachi, je suis Ahmed.

Interview without coffee coming up.

Looks like Anita Ward has dropped a clanger. She should resign, instantly. I would if I'd dropped a bollock like that on twitter and was a public figure or official or some such.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Moses_ said:

Y0kel said:

Lol!

Us citizens of Belfast are a bit more classy Peter, they don't fly out of the city at all. They did for a bit then cleared off a few years back. We, obviously, prefer the colour of orange......
    :-)

Well I'm nevertheless grateful to them for a dirt cheap holiday they made possible for me and mine recently in Derry-Londonderry....or Londonderry-Derry....or London Derriere, or whatever they like to call it these days.

Btw, got your horsey email. I'm not sceptical. Will be watching out for it.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Apart from repealing the 2006 Incitement Act and tougher immigration restrictions what more do the 'something must be done' advocates (among whom I'm instinctively one) argue the UK Government should adopt by way of political, legislative, judicial or Ministerial action?

I seem to recall cyclefree (one of the site's most distinguished contributors) half promised a number of inititiatives before dashing off on Thursday but I can't recall seeing them. Perhaps Socrates or Sean Thomas, inter alia, might put some flesh to the bones.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Stark,

I wasn't aware that UKIP were stirring up hatred for Poles. When did that happen?
  • Options
    Quite an Interesting comment at the opening of the 1800 Sky news report from Paris

" top leaders marched together in unity including etcetera and the Israelis and the Palestinians."

That's quite an achievement for the perps last week as they have actually managed to get the Israelis and the Palestinians to march together ........at the front of a parade .......against terrorism.

Epic fail for the terrorists I would have thought if that is correct.
  • Options

Socrates said:

People who believe in creationism or wish to restrict abortion are no danger to me or mine.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

People who believe in creationism or wish to restrict abortion are no danger to me or mine.
    People who wish to restrict abortion have been known to be violent.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

People who wish to restrict abortion have been known to be violent.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RodCrosby said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CD13 said:

Bondezegou,

Indeed. "Islam has bloody borders". This is the vital fact which undermines the Guardianista/lefty narrative that "it's all the fault of whitey" - if only we hadn't (stupidly) invaded Iraq

The problem is Wahabbism/Salafism is the Islamic reformation, and has gradually taken over from relatively more tolerant and traditional forms of Islam.

We should all celebrate Western Decadence...beats the hell out of living your life in some desert shithole...

That is what we should convince the Muslim public with. The soft power of Chinese tat, Bollywood movies, British music and American TV. All a lot more fun than Wahabbism, and now world wide through the web and smartphones.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited January 2015
    Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Stark,

I wasn't aware that UKIP were stirring up hatred for Poles. When did that happen?
    I'm surprised you missed the campaign as it was well reported at the time:

http://tinyurl.com/k74bjer

http://tinyurl.com/kkoh3b7

http://tinyurl.com/mha34ew

In fairness - in the cold light of day - some UKIP supporters are a bit squeamish about it all now. Others are simply in denial, claiming there's some ingenious post-modern subtlety at work which the rest of us are failing to comprehend.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

@ Mr Dancer:

The answer on vines I have found is this. Vitis Brant - found in most garden centres. Plant in a sunny spot. I leave it outside. Prune after the leaves have fallen - it has the most glorious autumn colours. After a few years you will get grapes. It does need regular (i.e. yearly) pruning otherwise it can take over. And that's it.

I never take anything inside. At best I will put a good mulch on before the winter and hard frosts come. Moving plants indoors seems to put stress on them with the changes in temperature. But there again I don't know where you live.

Thanks ...actually it was me that enquired .

The one I have is Vitas Beta ( purple blushing grape - looks great on the picture tag never seen it for real) so I guess similar but not the same. I live Somerset area so not tropical but same latitude as London as good as.

I had great visions of long balmy summers lounging on my long patio with bunches of grapes and entwined vines hanging in abundance from the wooden beams I placed across the patios "Med style" for the purpose. Well at least I have the beams. I shall try this and also find some Vitas Brant as well as a contingency .....I am not giving up just yet.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Stark,

I'm surprised you missed the campaign as it was well reported at the time:

http://tinyurl.com/k74bjer

http://tinyurl.com/kkoh3b7

http://tinyurl.com/mha34ew

In fairness - in the cold light of day - some of UKIP supporters are a bit squeamish about it all now. Others are simply in denial, claiming there's some ingenious post-modern subtlety at work which the rest of us are failing to comprehend.
    So it didn't happen then
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    18.26 Morocco's foreign minister, Salaheddine Mezouar, snubbed the mammoth march against extremism through Paris on Sunday due to the presence of "blasphemous cartoons depicting the Prophet", the ministry said, AFP reports.
    He nevertheless went to the Elysée Palace to present the country's "sincere condolences to the French president and to the French government following the despicable attacks in France this week."

I think he was referring to some marchers carrying blow-ups of the offending cartoons...
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,840
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Great for you. It is a danger to me and mine. My parents worked on the 1967 Abortion Act and my dad still works in the field in the US. There have been 8 people killed in recent years by anti-abortion violence in the US.

(Although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain how that isn't terrorism, and certainly can't be considered Christian terrorism.)

• Options
    18.30 Western intelligence agencies have reportedly intercepted communications from Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isil) which indicate that the attack on Charlie Hebdo is the start of a campaign of attacks in Europe, Justin Huggler writes.
    The US National Security Agency (NSA) intercepted the messages from Isil members shortly after the Paris attacks, according to a report in Germany’s Bild am Sonntag newspaper. The messages also referred to Rome, the newspaper reported, but no concrete plans are known.
    In the same report, Bild claimed that MI5 has warned Britain’s European partners of possible attacks on aircraft using explosives that cannot be detected by airport security.
    Western intelligence agencies are concerned that the Paris gunmen may be part of a larger network, the newspaper reported, adding that the US has preliminary evidence that the brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi had contacts in the Netherlands.
    In German intelligence circles, it is assumed that the Paris gunmen had contact with other militants, but there is no evidence whether the attacks were ordered by a particular organisation, Bild reported.
    The NSA succeeded in breaking a code used by Isil in its communications some months ago, the newspaper said.
This discussion has been closed.