Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the eve of the big gathering in Paris

124»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

Tim_B said:

It was a good line - he did.

What made him look like a drug dealer? The suit? Or the colour of his skin?
    It was a typical O'Reilly line - he has an acerbic wit. He'll chuck out a couple of those sort of lines on almost very show.. The suit - The only drug dealers I know are white.
  • Options
    EddieEddie Posts: 34
    GeoffM said:

Eddie said:

Opinion polls show that Fox News viewers are the most misinformed,

Do you have links for that please?
    Are you kidding me? Have you actually ever watched Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, or Glenn Beck?
    You don't need links for what your own eyes and ears can tell you, but here's a link anyway./

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Tim_B said:

Socrates said:

Tim_B said:

It was a typical O'Reilly line - he has an acerbic wit. He'll chuck out a couple of those sort of lines on almost very show.. The suit - The only drug dealers I know are white.
    So anyone wearing a suit looks like a drug dealer? Or was there something specific about this suit that made it particularly drug dealerish?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Eddie said:

GeoffM said:

Eddie said:

Are you kidding me? Have you actually ever watched Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, or Glenn Beck?
    You don't need links for what your own eyes and ears can tell you, but here's a link anyway./

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/

Actually I watch Fox News most days to catch up on events from a US perspective.

I'd rather trust my own eyes than your single survey of 600 New Jersey residents run by the local university in 2011.
  • Options
    Eddie said:

GeoffM said:

Eddie said:

A couple of things - firstly Glenn Beck hasn't been on Fox News for several years, so your eyes and ears are telling you lies.

Secondly, Fox News divides into the news division and the entertainment division. During the day until 5pm it is a rolling news operation. I notice you don't mention this. From 5pm through the evening it is an entertainment operation with talking heads like Hannity and O'Reilly, and is only tangentially a news channel. Like it or hate it, Fox News is the behemoth of news networks. It has more viewers in every time slot than all the other news networks combined. They are currently repeating the exercise with the newish Fox Business Network.

I notice the poll is based on 600 people in New Jersey.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Tim_B said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Eddie said:

Eddie said:

MikeK said:

Brett ‏@599tb 40m40 minutes ago
    #Farage is the only one with the guts to actually say what people are thinking #Parisattacks #ukip #Charliehebdo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOKyd98fkk&feature=youtu.be … …""

A couple of points.

1/ That Farage should exploit the murder of French citizens on the most bigoted and misleading TV faux news show makes it clear the kind of person he is.

2/ Most people in the UK are not Christians, and I suggest the only reason he is talking about Britain as a Christian state is so he keeps getting asked back to Fox News to satisfy his own ego.

Both your points are wrong. The first is a matter of opinion and says far more about you than Farage.

The second is factually incorrect. Although I am a staunch atheist even I recognise that Britain is officially a Christian country. So much so that the head of State is the head of the main Christian denomination in Britain and Anglicanism is the official state religion. In fact we are one of the few countries in the world still to have a state religion.

And in the 2011 census 60% of the population identified themselves as Christians.
    Opinion polls show that Fox News viewers are the most misinformed, Where do you think American extremist is now part of the mainstream? Who made the strongest case that Iraq had WMD? Where do up to half of GOP voters think Obama was born in Kenya, and therefore not legally President? You might choose to defend it, but I live in America and see what it does to people? A TV show that campaigns to take away unemployment benefits, to take away healthcare from millions of people, that plays the race card at every opportunity. You are welcome to defend that.

Tell me how many times you hear Farage talking about Britain as a Christian state to the British media. If he says that in the debates, I will write you a check for a thousand pounds. He has one message to the British media and a different one to a far-right media show in America. You are welcome to defend that. If you embrace the things Farage says, vote for him.
    Are you seriously saying that Fox News viewers are less well informed and more racist than viewers of the terrible MsNBC network, featuring hosts like Al Sharpton, race baiter in chief?
    YES!
    In that case you'll have to show me a Fox News presenter more racist than Al Sharpton.
    You have got to be kidding! Really! You must get those holes in your white sheet aligned to your eyes........
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Tim_B said:

Socrates said:

Tim_B said:

So anyone wearing a suit looks like a drug dealer? Or was there something specific about this suit that made it particularly drug dealerish?
    Stop nitpicking
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Eddie said:

Eddie said:

MikeK said:

#Farage is the only one with the guts to actually say what people are thinking #Parisattacks #ukip #Charliehebdo

A couple of points.

1/ That Farage should exploit the murder of French citizens on the most bigoted and misleading TV faux news show makes it clear the kind of person he is.

2/ Most people in the UK are not Christians, and I suggest the only reason he is talking about Britain as a Christian state is so he keeps getting asked back to Fox News to satisfy his own ego.

Both your points are wrong. The first is a matter of opinion and says far more about you than Farage.

The second is factually incorrect. Although I am a staunch atheist even I recognise that Britain is officially a Christian country. So much so that the head of State is the head of the main Christian denomination in Britain and Anglicanism is the official state religion. In fact we are one of the few countries in the world still to have a state religion.

And in the 2011 census 60% of the population identified themselves as Christians.
    Opinion polls show that Fox News viewers are the most misinformed, Where do you think American extremist is now part of the mainstream? Who made the strongest case that Iraq had WMD? Where do up to half of GOP voters think Obama was born in Kenya, and therefore not legally President? You might choose to defend it, but I live in America and see what it does to people? A TV show that campaigns to take away unemployment benefits, to take away healthcare from millions of people, that plays the race card at every opportunity. You are welcome to defend that.

Tell me how many times you hear Farage talking about Britain as a Christian state to the British media. If he says that in the debates, I will write you a check for a thousand pounds. He has one message to the British media and a different one to a far-right media show in America. You are welcome to defend that. If you embrace the things Farage says, vote for him.
    Are you seriously saying that Fox News viewers are less well informed and more racist than viewers of the terrible MsNBC network, featuring hosts like Al Sharpton, race baiter in chief?
    YES!
    In that case you'll have to show me a Fox News presenter more racist than Al Sharpton.
    You have got to be kidding! Really! You must get those holes in your white sheet aligned to your eyes........
    Please stop hurling insults and answer my question, Thanks
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Eddie said:

Eddie said:

MikeK said:

A couple of points.

YES!
    The KKK were predominantly Democrats.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

And what is Rupert Murdoch? Sorry, forgot, he only supports the "winners" which at the moment is the GOP. When the wind changes ........
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Eddie said:

Eddie said:

MikeK said:

YES!
    And Now?
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Does Britain have a State Religion? England maybe, but not Wales, Scotland or NI.

Overall the House of Lords is an undemocratic anachronism, but to include Archbishops from only one religion and representing only one of the four countries of the UK while excluding others is just bizarre and completely indefensible. Religion has no place in government.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Eddie said:

Eddie said:

MikeK said:

A couple of points.

YES!
    30 years ago I lived in NJ, where there is apparently a tiny cult of Fox News haters, and used to work for a black manager. He was (and presumably remains) a really nice guy. One night he got home to find a 3 foot tall cross burning on his lawn and 'nigger go home' spray painted on his garage. His wife was hysterical. This was the 1980s, when you would have thought the KKK was done. It was appalling.

These days the KKK, or what's left of it, seems to attract the same group of nasties as the neo-nazis.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    With Hayat Moumeddiene, widely thought to be terrorist number 5 in recent events in France reportedly doing a bunk to Syria, it will interesting to see if the authorities move in on a man who is believed to have assisted her in the escape. The individual is fully known and their possible involvement in this whole series of events will cause more questions to be asked in security circles about how events occurred with what appears to be little observation by French agencies.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

GeoffM said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Tim_B said:

Eddie said:

Eddie said:

MikeK said:

YES!
    And Now?
    There are between 3k and 5k of them these days.
    Who really cares?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

With Hayat Moumeddiene, widely thought to be terrorist number 5 in recent events in France reportedly doing a bunk to Syria, it will interesting to see if the authorities move in on a man who is believed to have assisted her in the escape. The individual is fully known and their possible involvement in this whole series of events will cause more questions to be asked in security circles about how events occurred with what appears to be little observation by French agencies.

I understand that the two brothers involved were on the US No Fly List
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

They were. This guy, however, is a different individual entirely
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

They were. This guy, however, is a different individual entirely
    According to CNN, she left the country before the attack.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-sources-female-terror-suspect-wasnt-even-in-france-during-attacks/
  • Options
    Well this where the confusion lies, the dates don't 100% add up. That doesn't mean she didn't have some involvement as a co-conspirator at some level and this is where this other party who assisted her move out of France is of great interest. How much did this guy know about what was happening before it happened?

Also the status of one of suspects in the Charlie Hebdo shooting, the 18 year old is now also unclear. The kid reportedly has an alibi and news on him has gone rather quiet even though he turned himself in.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited January 2015
    Carnyx said:

Indigo said:

Alistair said:

Indigo said:

Unity march including the elected representatives of three quarters of the population, its a start I suppose....

I dont remotely approve of FNs policies or aims, but the fact remains they were elected by people, and are likely to be elected by a lot more people next time. This is the sort of "no platform" idiocy I was talking about earlier, not letting them on the march doesnt make them go away, and gives them a grievance to whip up their supporters and capture new voters. If they behave shamelessly or like idiots on a solemn occasion, the people will see it and their vote will suffer for it. Democracy will work as it should.

I thought that FN had explicitly said there were not in unity.
    Did Jean Marie say 'Je ne suis pas Charlie' before or after the exclusion? If the former, the FN are being a bit tittish moaning about it.
    That would be like banning the SNP because of something Winnie Ewing said ;)
    Indigo said:

Alistair said:

Indigo said:

Unity march including the elected representatives of three quarters of the population, its a start I suppose....

I dont remotely approve of FNs policies or aims, but the fact remains they were elected by people, and are likely to be elected by a lot more people next time. This is the sort of "no platform" idiocy I was talking about earlier, not letting them on the march doesnt make them go away, and gives them a grievance to whip up their supporters and capture new voters. If they behave shamelessly or like idiots on a solemn occasion, the people will see it and their vote will suffer for it. Democracy will work as it should.

I thought that FN had explicitly said there were not in unity.
    Did Jean Marie say 'Je ne suis pas Charlie' before or after the exclusion? If the former, the FN are being a bit tittish moaning about it.
    That would be like banning the SNP because of something Winnie Ewing said ;)
    Not quite, to be fair: Madame Ecosse is not leader of her party!
    Neither is Jean Marie ;)
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Well this where the confusion lies, the dates don't 100% add up. That doesn't mean she didn't have some involvement as a co-conspirator at some level and this is where this other party who assisted her move out of France is of great interest. How much did this guy know about what was happening before it happened?

Also the status of one of suspects in the Charlie Hebdo shooting, the 18 year old is now also unclear. The kid reportedly has an alibi and news on him has gone rather quiet even though he turned himself in.

I recall seeing a report that he was a brother-in-law (?) and that when he heard he was on a wanted list he reported to a police station, was questioned and released. Can't remember where I saw that - if I remember I will post the link.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

As you said, Les Grenouilles were caught with their pants down on this.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,912
    There was a time when a visit to the US President would positively help a politician.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30766106
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

Well yes but I'm now halfway to thinking that the yes is heavily qualified. As things stand there is a fair chain of involvement and knowledge that gave the authorities a chance to get wind of events coming but at the same time there are two issues at work making it still hard to spot:

1. The lack of an extensive low level informer network and

2. I suspect the French agencies just have too many suspects to keep heavy tabs on. The numbers of Jihadi related types in France is, in short, staggering.

I know from back here in Northern Ireland that the amount of effort to monitor no more than about 80-100 people to something akin to full effect was enormous, the rest had to be done with a much much less than 24/7 approach. The French have thousands on the books with no centralised set of jihadi structures to penetrate.
  • Options
    On a final note, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Pennisula, i.e. the Yemen connection, appears to have pretty much claimed the events at Charlie Hebdo in its name.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

Well yes but I'm now halfway to thinking that the yes is heavily qualified. As things stand there is a fair chain of involvement and knowledge that gave the authorities a chance to get wind of events coming but at the same time there are two issues at work making it still hard to spot:

2. I suspect the French agencies just have too many suspects to keep heavy tabs on. The numbers of Jihadi related types in France is, in short, staggering.

I know from back here in Northern Ireland that the amount of effort to monitor no more than about 80-100 people to something akin to full effect was enormous, the rest had to be done with a much much less than 24/7 approach. The French have thousands on the books with no centralised set of jihadi structures to penetrate.
    They have a substantial muslim population which keeps itself separate, thus making an informer network difficult, and also proving a fertile spawning ground for Jihadi types
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

More YouGov

54% of people think Prince Andrew was wrong to maintain a friendship with Jeffrey Epstein, 15% he was right to do so

27% think sex allegations against Prince Andrew by Virginia Roberts are probably true, 38% that they're probably false

38% of people think Ched Evans should be allowed to return to football, 47% that he should not

By 47% to 39% men think Ched Evans should be able to return to football, by 55% to 29% women say not

Where are the tables? Can't see them on YG website
    Who are the 15% who think Andrew was right to maintain a friendship with a convicted sex offender who's accused of manipulating the US justice system?

The LibDem core vote?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

They have a substantial muslim population which keeps itself separate, thus making an informer network difficult, and also proving a fertile spawning ground for Jihadi types
    To try to quantify it, thousands of French Muslims have been involved in travelling to wage Jihad everywhere from Afghanistan, Syria (1000 alone) , Iraq and elsewhere going back maybe 20 years. These are considered to represent the most dangerous group to which you have to add radicals who haven't travelled to war zones but may have trained or just sat at home but are possibly still a threat.

The estimate is that about 5-8% of the most dangerous group alone have or are expected to end up bringing the experience and attitude home and using it in some way on French or other European soil. Thus your core numbers alone are, say, at least 100 within that most dangerous group. Not a lot on paper, question is, which 100? Good intelligence will get you some good hard targets but the rest you are fishing in a larger pool of possibles.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

@Richard_Tyndall

I do think that "Judeo-Christian" is a bit of a weasel term. The shared heritage that is both Jewish and Christian in origin (i.e. traditional Abrahamic mythology and law) is also shared with Islam. If when people talk about it they actually mean democratic culture and liberal principles, then that is Enlightenment in origin, not Jewish or Christian. If there is any religion associated with such a movement, it's Deism.

I think that's a slightly misinformed view. St Augustin, Thomas Aquinas -Christian thinkers have been just as vital to the development of political thought as figures like Plato. The 10 commandments is still the fundament of our legal system. Far later, it is Christianity that practically invented the modern concept of egalitarianism, with its notion of every man being equal before God. In the 19th century, the Evangelical movement was obviously at the forefront of anti-slavery and took a far more progressive attitude to race than society in general.

St Augustin, Thomas Aquinas are specifically Christian, not Judeo-Christian.

The 10 Commandments are also with the Koran, so are shared between all three, so Abrahamic, not Judeo-Christian. (I also do not buy that they're the fundamental part of our legal system, but that's another argument.)

Religious egalitarianism before God is shared between Christianity and Islam, so Christo-Islamic, not Judeo-Christian.

Evangelical abolitionism is specifically Christian, not Judeo-Christian.

So we've yet to get an example of something that's both Jewish and Christian, but not Islamic. Like I said, it's a weasel term.
    No it's not. It's the commonly used term to describe our shared heritage.

Just because something is described as Judeo-Christian, that doesn't exclude it being part of Islamic heritage as well.

Think of it as a Venn diagram and you may understand.
This discussion has been closed.